Type keyword(s) to search

When Calls The Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

Did y’all see this news?

‘When Calls The Heart’ Alum Daniel Lissing To Join Lori Loughlin In ‘When Hope Calls’ Spinoff

https://deadline.com/2021/10/when-calls-the-heart-daniel-lissing-lori-loughlin-when-hope-calls-spinoff-1234849000/

I hope it’s just some kind of flashback thing.  

They better not do the amnesia or long-lost twin thing or I’m just totally out.

I thought Daniel Lissing was off to “bigger and better things” so what’s up with this?

Wait - wasn't When Hope Calls a WCTH spinoff?  So now there's going to be spinoff of the spinoff?!  

10 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Wait - wasn't When Hope Calls a WCTH spinoff?  So now there's going to be spinoff of the spinoff?!  

I think they said it wrong - they mean When Hope Calls IS the spinoff, not that it's getting one.

Considering that Daniel Lissing's character was already dead when that show began, I'm thinking he's going to play someone other than Jack? Because, yeah, the alternative would be pretty freaking weird.

12 hours ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

When Calls The Heart’ Alum Daniel Lissing To Join Lori Loughlin In ‘When Hope Calls’ Spinoff

The Lissing ep will be on 12/18 (2 hr premiere). I quit watching a long time ago (when they killed off the Mountie), but I'll watch this episode just for Daniel. I can't see this going on too long. I thought part of why he left was Lori trying to run things. Hmm. Well, when you need work, you need work.

https://www.tvinsider.com/1016681/when-hope-calls-season-2-premiere-daniel-lissing-lori-loughlin/

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 2

I'll eat crow if I turn out to be wrong, but there's no way they're bringing back Jack.  It's been too long and too much has happened.  If he had wanted to come back after one year that would have been doable, but it's been four seasons, and they're filming the fifth.  He's been gone for as long as he was on the show.  I'm guessing he's playing some other character and they'll have him grow out his hair or grow facial hair or something to disguise his very recognizable face, and/or he could speak with his Aussie accent.  

I've lost WCtH but I'm still watching Chesapeake Shores and Hallmark movies, so if DL comes back at part of the "Hallmark family" I'll definitely tune in for his movies, or watch another series if he gets one.  Hallmark just lost Jesse Metcalfe (for the same reasons as DL originally left, although Jesse has a bit more on his resume) so they probably are looking for a leading man that they know resonates with their audience.  Hallmark is like one giant soap opera, if actors decide to return, the network will make it happen, no matter how implausible the scenarios might be.

Edited by dubstepford wife
  • Love 1

Interesting to note, some of the Christmas episode descriptions include the following:

Just when all seems lost, a secret Santa appears to fulfill all holiday wishes, and Abigail has a profound conversation with a dear friend from the past.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/lori-loughlin-reprise-abigail-stanton-when-calls-the-heart-season-2-when-hope-calls-gac-family-return-to-acting-college-admissions-scandal-1234845738/

There is some speculation on Twitter that the "dear friend from the past" might be Henry, if for no other reason than to tie up some loose ends. I'd love to see that myself, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

4 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Interesting to note, some of the Christmas episode descriptions include the following:

Just when all seems lost, a secret Santa appears to fulfill all holiday wishes, and Abigail has a profound conversation with a dear friend from the past.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/lori-loughlin-reprise-abigail-stanton-when-calls-the-heart-season-2-when-hope-calls-gac-family-return-to-acting-college-admissions-scandal-1234845738/

There is some speculation on Twitter that the "dear friend from the past" might be Henry, if for no other reason than to tie up some loose ends. I'd love to see that myself, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I really don't get how this show can exist in the same time frame as WCTH. So Lori will portray her WCTH character but on another show on another network. Will WCTH ever resolve how Abigail - the town's freaking MAYOR - went to "care for her aunt" and then never returned?!  

Will Abigail (and Cody I guess) exist in this other town that is far, far, far away from Hope Valley, making visits unrealistic  [even though various family members of other characters have visited]?  And what happens to Abigail's Cafe?  Does Jack Wagner's character (I'm blanking on his name) buy out Abigail, or does she remain an unseen partner forevermore?

I'm guessing the "dear friend from the past" is probably Jack and it's in a dream given DL's guest appearance.  Kinda sucks that that happens here and not with his, ya know, wife and kid, but whatever.

3 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I really don't get how this show can exist in the same time frame as WCTH. So Lori will portray her WCTH character but on another show on another network. Will WCTH ever resolve how Abigail - the town's freaking MAYOR - went to "care for her aunt" and then never returned?!  

Don't forget, this is the same show where WWI doesn't exist and it should be the 20s by now, yet everyone is still dressed vaguely Edwardian, with a dash of Anthropologie.  Time has no meaning in this universe!

• Love 2
19 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Will Abigail (and Cody I guess) exist in this other town that is far, far, far away from Hope Valley, making visits unrealistic  [even though various family members of other characters have visited]?  And what happens to Abigail's Cafe?  Does Jack Wagner's character (I'm blanking on his name) buy out Abigail, or does she remain an unseen partner forevermore?

Well, at the end of Season 8, Lee is considering running for mayor, so they are addressing it. Why it took over two years to do so, however, is the question. 

And Hope Valley can't be too far from Brookfield...remember, when the orphanage storyline was introduced, the group was passing through HV when their wagon broke.

16 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

Don't forget, this is the same show where WWI doesn't exist and it should be the 20s by now, yet everyone is still dressed vaguely Edwardian, with a dash of Anthropologie.  Time has no meaning in this universe!

The show's first season was 1910, so the ninth season should be 1919.

As for WWII, we can't really blame the show - if they did have it happening in their world, practically every man would be gone, seriously affecting the Hallmark relationship formula.

26 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

As for WWI, we can't really blame the show - if they did have it happening in their world, practically every man would be gone, seriously affecting the Hallmark relationship formula.

Which is interesting because the original premise of the show was about exactly that: most of the able-bodied men had been killed in the mining accident, leaving the widows to run the town. It’s good to see the town thriving again but rather than all the shoehorned and chemistry-free romances (ahem, Lee’s niece and Henry’s son, Faith and Carson) it could have been interesting to explore the war’s impact on the town. Even L.M. Montgomery brought the war to Anne’s life!

• Love 2
23 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Which is interesting because the original premise of the show was about exactly that: most of the able-bodied men had been killed in the mining accident, leaving the widows to run the town. It’s good to see the town thriving again but rather than all the shoehorned and chemistry-free romances (ahem, Lee’s niece and Henry’s son, Faith and Carson) it could have been interesting to explore the war’s impact on the town. Even L.M. Montgomery brought the war to Anne’s life!

I took a moment to Google WWI draft exemptions and learned that if the show had decided to include the war, it wouldn't have affected things too much.

Bill, Henry and Ned would be exempted by age - and since agricultural and industrial workers were also largely exempt, that would likely mean Lee, Jesse, etc would not have to go, especially if Lee took lumber orders specifically for things associated with the war effort.

However, there would be no reason for Lucas and probably Nathan not to go.

10 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

However, there would be no reason for Lucas and probably Nathan not to go.

Well, Lucas is American so he would have an excuse to be in Canada for a few years, anyway: we joined the war late enough that a lot of American men actually went to Canada to join the military and go fight. In 1914-1917 ish I don’t think anyone would have questioned his presence, but by 1917 he would have had to go for sure.

14 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Well, Lucas is American 

Is he, though? IIRC it was never really established where he was born/grew up - when he first arrived in town, Lucas was very evasive when Bill questioned where he'd come from. 

Daniel Lissing will also be in a GAC Family Christmas movie. (One of their 12 productions, with many familiar Hallmark faces.) Seems that they are going full-bore after Hallmark's audience. Bringing Jack back, even in a dream - but not in Hope Valley - yipes! That's sure to set off some of the more unhinged members of the Hearties brigade. 

Don't really care what LL did off screen. It will be interesting to see how the rehab of her public persona goes. Glad she's turning up in When Hope Calls-ville and not Hope Valley, though. Felt like the Abigail character ate When Calls the Heart - just too perfect and wise. More gratingly irritating than happily snark-worthy.

And its snark value is the main reason I watch (and enjoy) When Calls the Heart.

4 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Is he, though? IIRC it was never really established where he was born/grew up - when he first arrived in town, Lucas was very evasive when Bill questioned where he'd come from. 

Didn’t they say he was from New Orleans?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sharifa70 said:

Didn’t they say he was from New Orleans?

Yes, I remember a few episodes (some involving his mom) when he/she mentioned coming from New Orleans.  They didn't specifically say that's where they were born/raised, but it's implied.

• Love 2

For those who didn't watch the two-hour When Hope Calls movie on Saturday but might be interested in knowing what Abigail's appearance added to the WCTH universe...

Spoiler

She confirmed regular correspondence with Henry - in fact, writing to tell him she was in Brookfield was literally the first thing she did.

Abigail also confirms that her mother has recovered and her time there is done.

Also, when Abigail is being introduced to neighbor Tess as being from Hope Valley, Tess immediately recalls a man who talked her late husband, years ago, into a coal mine investment that lost them lots of money. Abigail says Henry Gowen, which Tess confirms. IMO this is a strangely specific storyline to bring up unless they plan on following up, either with Henry coming to Brookfield or Tess to Hope Valley. 

On 12/20/2021 at 11:41 AM, SnarkySheep said:
Spoiler

ed regular correspondence with Henry - in fact, writing to tell him she was in Brookfield was literally the first thing she did.

Abigail also confirms that her mother has recovered and her time there is done.

Also, when Abigail is being introduced to neighbor Tess as being from Hope Valley, Tess immediately recalls a man who talked her late husband, years ago, into a coal mine investment that lost them lots of money. Abigail says Henry Gowen, which Tess confirms. IMO this is a strangely specific storyline to bring up unless they plan on following up, either with Henry coming to Brookfield or Tess to Hope Valley. 

Which seems unlikely given these are now on two different networks.  But I guess maybe Henry's also leaving Halmark?

• Love 1
On 12/26/2021 at 5:37 PM, bybrandy said:

Which seems unlikely given these are now on two different networks.  But I guess maybe Henry's also leaving Halmark?

I have no idea...but IMO if there was no future to this storyline/character connection, why would both shows keep referring to Henry's and Abigail's relationship? I've seen many shows over the years where an actor left, either due to their own choice or otherwise, and literally all of them later act like the character never existed.

So who is left of the original cast?  Elizabeth and Bill?  Is that it?  Faith every once in a while?  Does she even count, given she first appeared in Season Two?

Also, I'm going to predict that Erin Krakow will be the next Hallmark domino to fall and go to GAC Family.  

On 1/5/2022 at 10:28 AM, dubstepford wife said:

So who is left of the original cast?  Elizabeth and Bill?  Is that it?  Faith every once in a while?  Does she even count, given she first appeared in Season Two?

Also, I'm going to predict that Erin Krakow will be the next Hallmark domino to fall and go to GAC Family.  

Elizabeth, Bill, Henry, Lee and Rosemary, Ned and Florence (initially secondary characters who were kind of "upgraded")

And hey, I guess Brookfield could use a new teacher...we know there isn't any saloon at present...

On 1/10/2022 at 11:37 AM, SnarkySheep said:

Elizabeth, Bill, Henry, Lee and Rosemary, Ned and Florence (initially secondary characters who were kind of "upgraded")

I don't think Lee and Rosemary were part of the cast in Season 1...?  I think they came on board in S2 (or even S3).  Can anyone confirm?

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow - I'm the first to post.  Pretty good episode and intro to new characters.  In a nutshell:

- Rosemary's voice inflection still grates, especially when she says her husband's name, "Leeeeeeee"

- The Yosts are just too dorky for my taste

- Thank goodness they replaced the child actor who plays Little Jack.  That younger child was creepy looking

- Hallmark, you rascal, you, having Lucas and Elizabeth engage in some pretty hot kisses with lip action closeups and all

- I'm interested in the mysterious background surrounding the new pharmacist

- I still don't care for Faith

- Clara and clueless Jesse are gone - for good?

- Fiona in pants!  She's an absolutely beautiful woman

- Did the entire town decide to go out to dinner at the Queen of Hearts all on the same night?

- I really, really want Henry to catch a break.

Edited by ctlady
correct spelling
  • Love 3

Please, please, please keep Clara and Jesse on the farm.

@ctlady: I agree re Faith. She is just so bland and forgettable. I don’t know what it is. It’s partly the writing, sure, but Fiona and Rosemary both really pop as characters even when their storylines are stupid, so it can’t be all in the writing. Unfortunately I have to lay some of the blame on the actress. I was thinking the other day that she just doesn’t seem to be able to muster any chemistry with her cast mates, whether it’s this show or in the Hallmark movies I’ve seen her in (she’s been the Bestie as well as the B-plot Romance). Her imdb page shows several non-Hallmark credits; I wonder if she just doesn’t do “saccharine” very well?

I found this episode pretty chaotic in its rush to give everyone screen time. Too many characters, nothing much happening. How long does it take to elect a mayor, anyway? That crazy plot has been going since last season.

• Love 2

Rosemary's newspaper is aligned with a polling company? Who knew??

And Elizabeth - the most dedicated, skilled, and all-around perfect teacher who has ever entered a classroom  - can take a month off to visit family during the school year. Of course!

Hope Valley is an amazing place!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, MollyMelrose said:

And Elizabeth - the most dedicated, skilled, and all-around perfect teacher who has ever entered a classroom  - can take a month off to visit family during the school year. Of course!

It is!  And they are all beautiful. All well groomed. All clean. Wardrobes galore.   No horse poop in the streets. I don’t see chemistry between Elizabeth and Lucas. What I enjoy about this show is the fantasy of it all. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MollyMelrose said:

I swear, one of these days it’s going to be revealed as Brigadoon or The Village. Which would explain the absence of the war. And why they’re so amazed by the balloon when airplanes are actually a thing at this point. Not that balloons aren’t cool, but they act like “what is this sorcery?”

• LOL 4
4 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I found this episode pretty chaotic in its rush to give everyone screen time. Too many characters, nothing much happening. How long does it take to elect a mayor, anyway? That crazy plot has been going since last season.

Agree. And of course the elephant in the room is not flat out stating that the former (?) mayor Abigail Stanton's term has ended (or something about why the mayor position is now available.)

3 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

Wouldn't that guy who threatened (not in a violent way) Elizabeth last season use this against her?  Didn't he want Elizabeth's school to fold into the school district instead of being a stand alone "Little School on the Prairie"?

2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm glad Ally is gone but she suddenly has grandparents? Who? Her thieving grandfather? 

What I don't understand (or maybe forgot) is why Nathan got custody of Allie in the first place if she had grandparents who could take her in when her mom (Nathan's sister) died.

In that time period, wouldn't it be more likely a young kid would be raised by grandparents than a SINGLE MALE?! 

As for Clara and Jesse, I'm guessing the "free land" in Montana is due to the Homestead Act? It wasn't made clear, but if yes, did the Homestead Act apply to non-Americans? The fact a Mountie is the local law enforcement makes me believe the show takes place in Canada. 

Curious why the pharmacist was acting so shady.  What's her story? 

• Love 3

I sat there watching this and wondering why. It's really boring and annoyingly unrealistic (because it's trying too hard to be modern, imho), but somehow I just keep watching.

The one HUGE irritation I had was the new character. She's so unnecessary!  I don't get why they brought her in when they have other totally unused or wasted characters standing around doing nothing.  I guess she brings a bit of mystery and drama, but you could do the same with some of the existing characters if you were creative. smh

I really would love to see Nathan with Fiona.  I don't get what they're doing with her at all.  Is she going to get together with Mike, because he is dull as dishwater and I just don't see him really appealing to her?  I think Nathan and Fiona could spar and flirt and it would be loads of fun to watch.

Let's move forward some other romances. At it's heart this show is supposed to be about romance.  I want Bill and Molly to get together or at least go out.

It's really as if the writers have no idea what this show is about.

• Love 1
On 3/7/2022 at 5:36 AM, ctlady said:

- Thank goodness they replaced the child actor who plays Little Jack.  That younger child was creepy looking

I’m pretty sure I’m going to hell for this (he’s a child, after all), but I agree with you 100%. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

because it's trying too hard to be modern, imho)

Yes indeed.  This is a huge problem with this show, and many of us here have posted about this numerous times.

It maybe could have been palatable if WCTH started out like Netflix's Bridgerton where it was clear from the start that the show existed in an alternative timeline where POC just occupied spaces of privilege and power. Instead, WCTH wanted to be true to their time period, and then over the seasons, injected modernism (hair/clothes/speech) and progressivism (POC immediately being accepted/welcomed) which was not at all true to life in the early 20th century.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Curious why the pharmacist was acting so shady.  What's her story?

This seems like Lucas, part two.  Or should that be Bill, part...7?  8?  How many times has this show introduced "shady" characters only to later show that they only had good intentions?  I miss the days of good ol' fashioned Gowan being a villain.  Then again I think I just miss the good ol' days period.

I know I said I wasn't watching anymore but, I watched.  Don't ask me why.  Brigadoon indeed.  If my math is right it should be at least 1917, maybe 1918, can't they put someone in a 20s outfit?  Fiona is already wearing pants, give her a cute flapper dress, make her the "modern" one.  And doesn't Erin have a bob with bangs in real life?  Why adhere to the Hallmark mermaid hair uniform when you can actually take advantage of her haircut and save some (not much, by the looks of it) wig budget?  

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, dubstepford wife said:

If my math is right it should be at least 1917, maybe 1918, can't they put someone in a 20s outfit? 

It’s at least 1918 but since we didn’t have a Christmas episode and the stupid election is still unresolved, I’ll buy that a year hasn’t happened since last season even though Jack has been aged. Elizabeth and Rosemary could definitely use haircuts.

6830012825_29c497d0a8_b.jpg

• Love 1
On 3/7/2022 at 10:02 AM, MollyMelrose said:

Lol, I was under the impression that Rosemary's "official polls" were just a fancy way of saying she talked to a bunch of people...

And yeah, there have been school subs before - like Rosemary, Florence or Carson - but literally just a day or two, not a whole month, and that only because Elizabeth wanted to take a vacation. That was weird.

And where exactly was Henry all that time? After being so dramatically final about leaving town, he's just back...and nobody asked where the hell he was??

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Episode 1, dialogue between store owner and new potential pharmacist was rapid and her answers were evasive. Store owner thought he was hiring a man, but that man (supposedly) sent the woman instead. Or, maybe she just lied (with male teacher’s help) to begin with. She fast-talked her way in the door on a trial basis, and because the pharmacist was greatly needed. 
I believe she came into town as she did for the same reason the Brook Shields character dressed and acted the way she did. Dangerous for a woman traveling alone. Once there, she removed the costume to present herself respectably for employment. 
Episode 2, we see she’s competent, helpful, and definitely has some skills. I actually like the character and I doubt the store owner has the knowledge to perform pharmacological duties. I’m also betting she has more extensive knowledge/skill than just chemicals/newest medicines, as demonstrated by her treatment of Nathan’s horse. 
I vote to keep her!

• Love 3

I have no beef with Mei.  Although a lot of tv characters right now are called Mei.  Surely not every woman of chinese descent is called Mei.   

I don't miss Clara and Jessie at all.  

I like Lee but doesn't he still own a sawmill?  

I can't say I care even a little bit about Cooper's questioning his faith but I find him less annoying than some of the other characters. 

Can you imagine how annoying Nathan's niece would be right now?

I kept waiting for Nathan to tell Lucas what flavors he wanted for his double cone.  

None of these comments are substantive because I find the show isn't very substantive.   

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

I don't miss Clara and Jessie at all.  

Wow - you're right!  Ever since Bill(?) read out the letter from Clara about the move to Montana, I haven't thought about them at all.  Shows that WCTH never really even needed them as characters in the first place!

I like Lee but doesn't he still own a sawmill?  Yes, he does.

I can't say I care even a little bit about Cooper's questioning his faith but I find him less annoying than some of the other characters. 

Because it's Hallmark I expect Cooper will "find God" again and be folded back into the faith.  Speaking of...so all the townfolk attend the same church? Let's say they are all Episcopalians (the show has never stated any specific denomination). They are all of the same denomination? No Baptists, or Seventh Day Adventist?  Or Lutherans?  Or...?

I kept waiting for Nathan to tell Lucas what flavors he wanted for his double cone.  

OK, I know the show wants to make some acknowledgement of the fallout of Elizabeth choosing Lucas, but I thought Nathan was such a jerk in the ice cream scenes with Lucas. Nathan should have been more gracious and even a little playful. Instead, he came across as petulant and a jerk. 

None of these comments are substantive because I find the show isn't very substantive.

Not sure how much longer I will keep watching.    

• Love 2