Type keyword(s) to search

Good Bones - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I suspect the microhood was the non-vented charcoal filter type.   Totally inadequate when cooking.     Tiny kitchen.   Only the counter bar stools for dining seating.   I suspect that house is an investment property, and will be rented out for short term renters fully furnished.      I don't think the buyers will ever live there.    I would have done a main bedroom and bath on the first floor, with a half bath, and a second floor main suite too.   Or two bedroom, one bath on the first floor, and another main suite on the second floor.   There needed to be a dining space, besides a few stools at the island. 

The second the house demo pieces were leaning on the house next door, and no one was upset, then I knew that Mina had already bought the house.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
On 9/8/2021 at 11:45 AM, Rightside said:

What has Karen done to her hair? Is blonde or grey????

It would look better shoulder length and darker. She has always had it quite long.

She said on the first episode of the season that she wasn't going to dye her hair red any longer.   Too much maintenance, and time taken away from other things.    

Red pigment is larger than other colors, so it needs more maintenance, more touchups, and fades the quickest. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

This latest house was so many missed opportunities.  No eating space except a rather small island.  Why not build out a complete basement and a complete upper floor?  I realize they were on a budget but it just seemed odd to me.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

She said on the first episode of the season that she wasn't going to dye her hair red any longer.   Too much maintenance, and time taken away from other things.    

Good for her! The pandemic halted my getting my hair colored and cut. Now for the first time in years it is below my shoulders and, for the first time ever, grey with blonde (my last coloring) and dark mixed in.

• Love 3
On 9/8/2021 at 1:08 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Natural looks a lot better than the 2-3 shades of fake red she'd been wearing.

Tad is a moron and not as cute as he thinks he is.  They all like to bring their dogs to sites, yet he breaks mirrors & everything he can get his hands on.  How often are they picking glass & splinters out of their poor dogs' footpads?

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 5

I didn't want to see the toilet scenes.     

The upstairs studio was bizarre.   The floor should have been left painted white.   I could live with a white painted floor, but if the only alternative to the patterned floor is carpet, then I wouldn't be happy. 

Over doing the wood char means that the wood will smell like smoke, and that will never go away.       

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I didn't want to see the toilet scenes.     The upstairs studio was bizarre.      

Since Norm McDonald died today, I thought of “Turd Ferguson” during those scenes. RIP, Norm.

I couldn’t stand the decoupage floor. The white floor was fine. MJ and Corey went overboard with the flamethrower on the wood. The first pass looked good. It did bring out the grain. However, they kept on and the result was blackened wood. Might as well have painted the wood black.

• Love 5

I agree.  I guess total black was what MJ wanted but he could have achieved that with a coat of paint (which they already had) as opposed to the flamethrower, and again, they painted that pattern on the wall.  Now it's the next homeowner's problem.

I didn't hate the floor upstairs.  As they said, if the next people don't like it they can carpet over it.  It turned out much better than I thought it would.

• Love 2

My take, I think if they'd left the wood grain  showing on the shelves it would have looked really 'busy'  w/the ombre  circle.

Also, the decoupaged floor didn't bother me as I thought it would  - but  I think I would have added a  painted border around the perimeter of the room to make it more sophisticated.

I know it was a budget issue, but sad this house didn't get the Good Bones treatment/experience--i.e., tearing it down to the studs, adding insulation and repairing anything hidden.....this house was more of a generic flip you see on all the  other reno shows.

I think Mina wasted space in the kitchen, I would have added anisland.

Sad too,, you had to walk through a bdrm to use  a bathroom

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Again, then why not just paint the shelves black? 🤨

Because they wanted to demonstrate the  shou sugi ban technique.

BTW - I first saw the technique  demonstrated sever yrs ago on Fixer Upper. Joanna  did the exterior siding on one of their projects....,she also burned them to have an all black finish

I'm sure they went into it with the burned woodgrain showing  in mind as the desired finish -  held one  up  against the ombre and said nope, doesn't  work - and at that point  pivoted  to, just do  them in all black and be done with it

Personally, I like the shou sugi ban w/woodgrain   showing the most on beams, posts/columns, or trim

• Love 3

That was an ugly house, and the circle on the wall was hideous, imho.

I hate that they get rid of all the lovely character in these homes and replace it with blah.

I might need to quit watching this show. I just finished binging Nichole Curtis on D+ which I had never seen, and now I hate what Mina and crew do to those lovely old homes.

• Love 4

I don’t understand why they cram so much STUFF into every room. The rooms would look larger in their houses if they weren’t so overloaded with blankets, pillows, tchotchkes, candles, lamps, bowls, shells, etc. Give the eyes a place to rest, for crying out loud.

• Love 10
On 9/16/2021 at 6:33 PM, Gam2 said:

I don’t understand why they cram so much STUFF into every room. The rooms would look larger in their houses if they weren’t so overloaded with blankets, pillows, tchotchkes, candles, lamps, bowls, shells, etc. Give the eyes a place to rest, for crying out loud.

Less furniture would look better too. 

The few times someone posted a real estate sales ad for the homes, the pictures have a ton less stuff in the rooms, without all of the decorative stuff, and with less furniture in the rooms. 

Rooms look bigger with appropriately sized furniture in the rooms, but stuffing rooms with the amount of furniture and decorations they put in for the filming look tiny.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

And the camera lingers on each and every item, leaving very little time to look at the finished house. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Gam2 said:

All the HGTV reno show people tend to overstage the houses.

• Love 6

Every time you see the burning technique (not going to even try to get it right) demonstrated on a show they act like it's something new and unique and quite frankly by this time I have seen it demonstrated on nearly every home improvement show, including most of the tiny house shows where it is actually done to protect the outside of the homes in an affordable manner.  Perhaps I watch too many shows (and by the way I like Nicole Curtis shows also).

• Love 5

I really think a lot of the decorative staging tchotchkes are promotional items from a sponsor.  I'm pretty sure I have seen Wayfair or Overstock boxes being unpacked during staging on some HGTV shows.  

When it comes to that stuff I tend to be more of a minimalist, so the first thing that pops into my mind during the reveal is "dust traps".

• Love 9

Why did the show producer who bought the house last night that has five bedrooms, put two of the boys in the same bedroom?     I guess the basement bedroom will be for a live in nanny or two, while the wife has her surgeries, and recovery.    But that still leaves two other bedrooms, unless someone will be helping the wife also.  

• Love 3
On 9/16/2021 at 10:44 PM, LittleIggy said:

All the HGTV reno show people tend to overstage the houses.

And many of them have boutiques selling some of their line of staging tchotchkes.  They show them hoping some viewers will think they need o buy some.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Why did the show producer who bought the house last night that has five bedrooms, put two of the boys in the same bedroom?     I guess the basement bedroom will be for a live in nanny or two, while the wife has her surgeries, and recovery.    But that still leaves two other bedrooms, unless someone will be helping the wife also.  

That three story house didn’t really fit the neighborhood, IMO. It looked like an apartment building. I hate fake grass. Won’t it get nasty with the dog peeing on it. I never have understood the gigantic bathrooms with the showers ten people could fit in.

• Love 6

I thought the house was well done but couldn’t figure out how a 3 story house with 3 young children (one still a baby) would work. Since the mother had to have surgery to remove her ovaries (Brac 1), I can’t see her being able to go up and down stairs or caring for her young children. This was a true mystery to me. 

• Love 2
On 9/22/2021 at 5:59 PM, Gam2 said:

I thought the house was well done but couldn’t figure out how a 3 story house with 3 young children (one still a baby) would work. Since the mother had to have surgery to remove her ovaries (Brac 1), I can’t see her being able to go up and down stairs or caring for her young children. This was a true mystery to me. 

The Indy neighborhood don't seem to have any consistent look.      My guess is when the woman has her various surgeries, after she's released from the hospital, she'll do a few days or week at a recovery center, or just come home, and go up a step at a time, rest a while on the second level, and then do the one step at a time on the to the third level, and stay up there.   

I suspect that they'll have live in full time help for the kids during her surgeries, and another helper for her.    So, that's why they have the extra basement room with bath, and the other two bedrooms on the second floor.     I bet they will have a live-in staff for a long while during the surgeries, and after.       The husband said surgeries, so I'm guessing it will be  a long time before the wife is up to watching three kids, and everything else she does.   

I hate the indoor/outdoor, mega expensive glass doors.   I want to keep the outdoors, outside.  

The artificial turf is installed over a layer of sand or something, and the water goes through the turf, and drains off, a lot of people use it with pets areas, and it works.   You just hose the turf down sometimes.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
On 9/17/2021 at 7:35 AM, RoxiP said:

Every time you see the burning technique (not going to even try to get it right) demonstrated on a show they act like it's something new and unique and quite frankly by this time I have seen it demonstrated on nearly every home improvement show, including most of the tiny house shows where it is actually done to protect the outside of the homes in an affordable manner. 

I first saw it on Homestead Rescue and it was done to help fireproof the outside of buildings/homes in fire prone areas (which is almost everywhere now, sadly).

• Useful 1

I would have put an elevator in that house.  The boys are probably used to sharing...as they get older they can move to the other bedroom, and there will still be a guest room in the basement.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

I would have put an elevator in that house.  The boys are probably used to sharing...as they get older they can move to the other bedroom, and there will still be a guest room in the basement.

No kidding! Mina mentioned they could have dinner on the private balcony. Can you imagine having to haul food, drinks, etc, up there? A fancy grill setup would have been better than  the hot tub, IMO. 
Overall, I liked the house just have some nits to pick.

• Love 2

there was a dishwasher and a wine fridge on the third floor, but was there a regular fridge?  I would have done that instead of the wine fridge so that you could keep milk/cream for coffee up there.  From the outside it looked like a triple decker like we have in Boston, but those are houses for three families, and there are streets with just those.  I have been in a couple that were turned into one families, with the master suite on the top floor, and the owners say that traipsing up and down all those stairs gets old fast.

• Love 3

Ugh, I hated the exterior of that house.  It's an overbuilt eyesore looming over the houses on either side.  The plastic grass didn't help any, either.

As for the inside, even with all that space, and free reign with the floor plan, there was still no closet whatsoever near the front door.  They had a few hooks on the wall behind the door. 

I also wasn't a fan of the big folding doors in the back.  You open those to "entertain" and "bring the outside in" and yep, you sure do open the door to bringing in all manner of mosquitoes and flies, no?  What a waste of budget.  They had those folding doors upstairs, too, where the hot tub is. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, tinderbox said:

Who needs an 18 foot island?  That family certainly didn’t.

Mina apparently cannot imagine anyone who doesn't want to eat and entertain almost exclusively around a kitchen island. That island seated more people than the dining room did. What a complete waste of space that monster was.

3 hours ago, izabella said:

I also wasn't a fan of the big folding doors in the back.  You open those to "entertain" and "bring the outside in" and yep, you sure do open the door to bringing in all manner of mosquitoes and flies, no?  What a waste of budget.  They had those folding doors upstairs, too, where the hot tub is. 

I hate those too. For me one of the greatest inventions of the modern age is the screen.  Bringing the 'outdoors in' has never ever been my desire. Also, the whole folding doors/deck design should be in a backyard that is pretty to look at and I didn't notice any actual yard back there. It looked like it just looked out onto the house next door. This family is used to Southern California. For the most part our houses don't do that, we have backyards even if some of them are small they are mostly private.  I don't see that family being happy with that house and yard and since they know Mina and live just down the street they will have to live with it and just smile without changing anything. They are stuck.

• Love 10
18 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Well, wouldn’t the producer and his wife have to have signed off on the design? They would be idiots if they hadn’t.

Definitely. They chose everything in that house. All of Mina’s “ideas” were TV created. 

• Love 5
On 9/23/2021 at 12:19 PM, izabella said:

Ugh, I hated the exterior of that house.  It's an overbuilt eyesore looming over the houses on either side.  The plastic grass didn't help any, either.

I felt sorry for the neighbors who had to live next door to that tower. 

I think the only situation where those big folding doors would be practical is between the house and a screened porch that would keep the bugs and critters out.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I don't understand those doors either, and I am always irritated on any show that tears out a perfectly good screened in porch.

Agree, plus the fact that you can never get screens for those doors either. And if you find someone who can do it, it will cost a fortune.

• Love 2

As I was watching the "reveal" on this week's show, I kept thinking how wildly extravagant everything was. I guess that's how people who can afford $650,000 houses live like, but I've never seen such excess in my humble existence, I say from my $900/month 800-square-foot two-bedroom apartment that was built in the 1980s. I grew up in an early-1970s ranch-style tract home that was all all of 1,100 square feet, and my parents still live there. I've only ever seen hot tubs at hotels.

The 18-foot(!!!) island was ridiculous. The master bath shower was weird—there was one entry for the shower and bathtub (with clear glass), so whoever was in the shower would be in the same place as the person in the tub. And I guess I'm weird, but I don't like my boyfriend seeing me shower. I don't think he wants to he on display either.

Where was the fourth bedroom? The setup had the boys sharing one, the baby in another, and the parents in the master. There was another we didn't see, and then there was the basement. Did we see it?

My boyfriend's sister has a very nice house on the North Carolina coast with lots of extras, but not like that house was. She has turf in her small yard, and I think it's weird, especially because she has a dog. I always wonder where the dog does her "business" because I've never seen her do it.

• Love 3

The main bedroom and bath was the top (third) floor.

Three bedrooms on the second floor, one was shared by the two boys.   Another bed and bath in the basement (it had window wells, and lots of light.    So, there were five bedrooms, but I think the extra bedroom on the second floor will be for live-in help after the wife has surgery, and when she's recovering.    I bet after they don't need live-in help, the boys will each have a bedroom.  

I would have put two bedrooms in the basement, with the shared bath, for more live-in help.     

• Love 2

I suspect the extra bedroom in the basement is for live-in help like a nanny.    I think you're right about the extra second floor bedrooms for now, but I suspect that they'll have a health aide, and a nanny, and maybe a cook/housekeeper while the wife is having the surgeries, and recovery.   

With the huge size of the first floor, the living was small.   I also see no point with having one desk in the middle of the mud room.   How often will it be the right temperature to use the big deck, and the third floor deck?   

I wish all of the family the best.    I hope that house is exactly what they wanted, and they enjoy it.  

Tonight's episode is the season finale. Two other flippers need help with flipping in a historic district with an association.  This should be fun.   (Yes, I'm mean).

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
On 9/28/2021 at 7:36 PM, MsTree said:

Sorry if this was already answered, but who started calling Corey "Toey" and how did that happen?? They don't even sound the same.

Toey is his childhood nickname, no reason, it just is.

I wish that everyone on TV would never mention their kids, and potty training ever again. 

Tonight's season finale sounds like fun, I do love a Stop Work order.   Nothing like incompetent first time flippers on a flipping show.

Cottage Home is in a historic district, and ruled by the Historical Association.  

I'm guessing they would bulldoze the house if it wasn't in a historic district.   If I owned the house next door, and saw their idea of 'carefully' demoing the chimney, I would be livid.   If the historical association is so tough, how did someone get away with what looks gray vinyl siding on the house next door?  

Bad things needing Mina's attention.   Three stop work orders, for exceeding the scope of their permits from the historical association.     Plus, more bad news, because interior framing is way more than the association allows, so no more grandfathered features I'm guessing.   Are you allowed to do anything with a stop work order in place?   Because they kept doing things indoors after the stop work was issued, and before it was lifted. 

The beams on the kitchen ceiling are way too big.    If they're short on money, then why run the back splash tile in the kitchen all of the way to the ceiling?   I like the landscaping, but I hope whoever buys it likes gardening, and knows what they're doing.  

I wish they would stop loading the finished home with so many extra throws, and decor.  

I hate the vanity/dresser that Karen put wall paper shreds on.    I would never use most of the shelves in the kitchen.  

This place only went on the market a couple of weeks ago.     I'm very confused, it's definitely the same house, same interior, minus Karen's vanity, and a lot of extra decor gone.   However, the landscaping they showed on TV, is almost totally gone.    The list price is $400k too, not $300k.  This is the only time it was on the market too, after the remodel, so they didn't sell and the new owner is reselling for more.  

I looked at the MLS site for the house flippers house, and it's dropped to $375k after two weeks on the market.   It's definitely the same house too.  

The historical association for this area has a guide, it's 139 pages long, covering commercial, and residential buildings.    There really aren't interior rules for homes, but there are specific rules for windows, placement, and all kinds of exterior items that could impact a building. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

What Karen did with that vanity/dresser was just ugly. A decent carpenter could have restored the piece with replacement doors on one side and drawers on the other, but what she did was a horrific piece of crap. It turned out dumpster worthy.

Otherwise, the house was okay except for using marble tile on a bathroom floor. That is very slippery tile even when it's not wet. I don't understand Mina's love for marble tile. It isn't appropriate for every use.

• Love 6