Type keyword(s) to search

Good Bones - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The Marrs have been in the home renovation business for a lot longer than they have been on television, which hopefully will help them stand the test of time long after their show is over.  As for the Napiers, they weren't in the home renovation business but Erin had a decorating blog that attracted the people looking for talent for the show (Ben had just started his woodworking business and apparently they had some other kind of printing business), and hopefully their stable, long-term relationship will stand them in good stead if the public interest ever wanes (I get the impression that Erin would be just as happy still being a small business owner in Laurel, Mississippi).  

I think being nice people has helped both couples (and Joanna and Chip) continue to grow their businesses.  I have never had a problem with Good Bones but have to admit that I watch it now with a more jaded eye due to the bad press that has come out.

• Like 3
On 9/14/2023 at 4:58 PM, carrps said:

And Mina didn't know that any time you're have any kind of food being prepared and sold that all kinds of new and more stringent building requirements kick in???

Didn't Mina intend for one of her businesses to be her office in the back and serve wine or coffee in the front that faced the street? The place was going to have "Karen's Corner" in it.  I swear they talked about food prep regulations in that episode several years ago. I'm involved with an annual charitable event, so even I know that to serve food and beverages we have to get permits.

The HGTV-style makeover of that adorable Victorian cottage was a travesty. Also, I just saw an article that said renovations required one year! The episode implied it was weeks or a few months.

While Tad is an ass, I'm glad he's coming out of this developing a business for himself.

It's hard to reconcile the immature, impulsive Tad we've seen for years with the notion that he runs a business. I wonder how much of the work will be shouldered by his fiance. And Austin. I would like Austin to further his education and do his own, successful thing. He's smart, capable and mature.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

It's hard to reconcile the immature, impulsive Tad we've seen for years with the notion that he runs a business. I wonder how much of the work will be shouldered by his fiance.

He posted a lovely, heartfelt tribute to the show on his Instagram account. Meanwhile, Mina's trashing her family all over the tabloids and on her podcast.🤷🏻‍♀️

21 hours ago, buttersister said:

Also, there’s the likability factor—hard to define, but like the judge said, you know it when you see it. I never saw it in Mina or Karen.

So true. Mina is one of the most unlikable people to ever host a show on HGTV. Karen always struck me as silly with no talent whatsoever. The guys were childlike showofffs. The entire cast reminded me of trailer trash hillbillies. JMHO.

• Like 6

I stopped watching a few seasons ago. Every episode was the same with the silly demo shenanigans from the crew. This is the problem with HGTV shows- they start off fine but as they get into multiple seasons they become very repetitive and overly reliant on playing up some silly aspect of the stars’ personalities. Even Home Town is overdoing it with Ben and Josh and Jim and their “boys trips” to find a piece of barn wood. The only ones who have seemed to escape it so far are Keith and Evan on Bargain Block but I imagine it will happen eventually. 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Like 8
  • Love 2
On 10/24/2023 at 12:40 PM, CruiseDiva said:

So true. Mina is one of the most unlikable people to ever host a show on HGTV. Karen always struck me as silly with no talent whatsoever. The guys were childlike showofffs. The entire cast reminded me of trailer trash hillbillies. JMHO.

So agree with this. I liked Mina the first 3ish seasons, when the renovations were in smaller houses and were more comfortable and functional, and stayed somewhat close to the character of the house. Then everything got bigger and grayer and more outrageous. And then more news started coming out about them not paying contractors and artists featured on the show, the lead paint issue, and now her very publicly bashing her family when not one of them have said a word about her...yeah, that down to earth vibe has faded. I've always found Karen annoying...some of her crafts were cool but then they got more ridiculous and less functional, and you could tell the potential buyers that would come for viewings felt the same way. And ugh on "the boys," Austin was the only one I liked. I remember one episode when Tad flung a window outside and it shattered, and all I could think of is "whomever buys that house is going to be picking up glass for years." Just reckless for no reason.

• Like 9
22 hours ago, Angelsmom1009 said:

And ugh on "the boys," Austin was the only one I liked. I remember one episode when Tad flung a window outside and it shattered, and all I could think of is "whomever buys that house is going to be picking up glass for years." Just reckless for no reason.

Yeah. Austin just seems so down to earth and reasonable. Probably after the first season we just started ff-ing through all the demo parts. And I would always moan about Tad breaking glass -- he'd do it almost every episode. Why make more work for yourself??? Just tape it up, remove it, and put it in the dumpster.

But I can remember when the Property Brothers started with their hijinks during demo. I think the HGTV execs tell them to do it to keep their shows. But, then, who is the demographic for this nonsense?

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
On 10/26/2023 at 1:20 PM, carrps said:

Yeah. Austin just seems so down to earth and reasonable. Probably after the first season we just started ff-ing through all the demo parts. And I would always moan about Tad breaking glass -- he'd do it almost every episode. Why make more work for yourself??? Just tape it up, remove it, and put it in the dumpster.

I'm really surprised nobody ever got seriously hurt during their demo days.  I'm not a contractor but they just seemed very reckless while doing it.

• Like 4

Wow, the further along I get in this season the more obvious the friction is between the family members and crew.  Tad (who obviously is only on the show to promote his own company - and I like the new, more responsible Tad) shows up as little as possible and there is almost no interaction between him and Mina, Karen and whomever is appearing with her in her little craft segments seem hell-bent on doing whatever they can to sabotage Mina's current project, the guy who appears in Karen's spot (sorry, his name is escaping me right now = Cory!!!) is mostly just throwing out ridiculous ideas and sarcastic comments, and MJ is pretty much there just to look pretty and rubber stamp Mina's ideas.  It is all very passive-aggressive.  

You could tell Austin was kind of sad to be laid off but I'm sure he will be happy working with Tad again.

I just watched the episode where she was going to build a duplex and carriage house with efficiency apartments and once again there was an expensive mistake made, and so she just built the carriage house (which had a concrete apron but I'll be darned if I saw a driveway up to the apron - are people supposed to drive through the mud?).  I actually thought the efficiency apartments turned out fairly well although I thought the bathrooms were disproportionately large and would have taken some of that space for a larger bedroom area.  And where were the entrances to those apartments?  Inside the garages?  I was very confused.

Edited by RoxiP
  • Like 2