Type keyword(s) to search

Good Bones - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Thanks for the listing.     However, I was interested in what's not included.  No air conditioning, no security cameras, no little baskets of shampoo, etc. included, it also say no heating?   I hope that means the heat is centrally controlled, and not changeable by visitors.

yeah, that's really weird.

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Thanks for the listing.     However, I was interested in what's not included.  No air conditioning, no security cameras, no little baskets of shampoo, etc. included, it also say no heating?   I hope that means the heat is centrally controlled, and so is the air conditioning, and not changeable by visitors.

That's very strange about the heating and AC.  There are vents in every room so there must be something.  Indy is far enough north that I would assume their housing laws require heat.

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Thinking of the times I've stayed in B&Bs, I don't remember HVAC controls in the rooms.

I suspect the controls are central, and controlled by whoever operates the B & B whole house rental. 

It's a good policy to control it centrally.  My community pool house air conditioner was ruined by people using it for events, and they would turn the air conditioning down to 60 or 62, to cool the room down quickly, and leave it.   It killed the air conditioning/heat pump and it will cost over $6k to replace.    

I wouldn't stay there, I don't care how nice they make it.   I would rather have an event at somewhere with a lot of parking, and without neighbors complaining a lot about noise.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I don't understand the histrionics about how much things cost and "payroll will have to come put of my personal budget", etc. They buy, renovate and sell a number of properties at any given time. They have rental properties/AirBNBs. They have income from the show. They have the store, but for some reason, don't have ecommerce--apparel sold online that they sell in the store and wear on the show. They got rid of all the storage facilities when they built the new office. Mina does sponsorships on her Instagram. We know they have money.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, quirkygal said:

So if I watch this will I end up missing Tad and his antics?  Corey?

I believe Risky Business is Mina's solo "spin off" vanity project...and prefers to keep it to herself and a more mature crew. IOW, no one will be swinging from a chandelier during the demo process, or karate kicking windows out while hanging from a ceiling beam.

• Love 1

Mina did say during the NBA player remodel that she wanted to do more remodeling of upscale homes like the player's house.   Since he had moved so many times, and then was traded twice after the show aired, it's essentially more expensive flipping.    I really disliked that remodel, everything was so trendy, and things like lighting improved nothing in that house.   

I'm wondering if Mina bought the house with the remodel included, and it's all in the price?  Or because she doesn't have experience with long term, major builds like that?    Or if it was a flip, and she bought it before the remodel started with the construction and remodeling included, so the seller's crew did the work, and she picked finishes?    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I don't understand the histrionics about how much things cost and "payroll will have to come put of my personal budget", etc. They buy, renovate and sell a number of properties at any given time. They have rental properties/AirBNBs. They have income from the show. They have the store, but for some reason, don't have ecommerce--apparel sold online that they sell in the store and wear on the show. They got rid of all the storage facilities when they built the new office. Mina does sponsorships on her Instagram. We know they have money.

Yeah, she kinda makes it sound like the company is running paycheck to paycheck and that they can go under at any given time.

• Love 2

I don't understand much of what happened in tonight's episode of Risky Business. It looked like Mina pissed off two different project managers because she kept asking for things that weren't on the plans, but that's not how she expressed it, of course.

Obviously, I don't have any construction experience, so I don't know who hires the contracting/building team, but it just seemed to me like she wanted to have it all under her control from the beginning, and ended up making that happen by "releasing" the second project manager just a couple weeks(?) after the first one walked off the job.

The fact that no one seems to be running District Co. except for Finley, who is Two Chicks' "Chief of Staff", is pretty telling. Mina herself resetting the store, too? She doesn't hire enough people and then delegate and trust them to do their jobs.

Why are they even holding onto the store if they are looking for ways to save money? They opened it in the early days of the pandemic—like June 2020, I think. I clearly don't understand people with money.

• Love 3

In the “Risky Business” scenes with Austin, I found myself thinking that I hoped he was getting some formal training in construction so that he can be licensed. He strikes me as particularly intelligent, responsible, and level-headed and I think I would feel comfortable having him manage commercial projects for me. 

I hope he’s working towards bigger things because currently, he seems underemployed.

• Love 8

District Co. is also about half bar.    So, as long as they allow take out cups, they'll do OK on the bar part.  

That's interesting about the building not selling.   So, they are doing the realtor's trick to keep the listing looking fresh, taking it off the market and putting it back on at a slightly different price.     It's interesting that it says short term rental history since 2017. 

Trulia says "This AirBnb has been running smoothly since 2017! 2/2.5 downstairs and a 2/1 upstairs with shared back deck and fenced in yard! Both units have their own washer and dryer and have been well maintained. This property would be a great addition to any investment portfolio or perfect option to live in one unit and rent the other. 2022 Has been the first year with BOTH units listed with AirBnb and is at 32K income through June."   

I find it stunning that something with that rental income isn't selling.  However, looking at the location, I wouldn't stay there at that price.   My guess is parking is behind the building, off of the alley.     The street doesn't look that walking friendly, I bet for most restaurants, coffee shops, etc., you'll have to drive or walk for blocks. 

They own a bunch of short term rentals, they've had it on their website for a long time. 

Is it next to that huge warehouse/headquarters?  There's something with vapor barrier around it right next door, and the other building is higher than the short term rental/sale house.  It's also priced more than double the neighborhood median. 

The market is cooling down.    

Unfortunately, Indiana is one of four states that makes it illegal for any city or county to limit short term rentals.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1

The pictures on the listing on Zillow are absolutely terrible quality. It would appear no one's actually marketing the listing.

I get that Mina is driven, but at first she was renovating/flipping "distressed" properties. Now she also wants to renovate "high-end" properties while she runs AirBNBs and speakeasies and hosts weddings. You can't 1) do it all, and 2) be good at all of it.

Steve is now doing personal training.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Mina is in way over her head. She's trying to grow too fast and personally control too much.

Interest rates are going up and some markets are cooling, so perhaps with a load of unsold properties she will be forced to slow down and think more carefully about her business.

• Love 5

What galls me is that this was originally a show purportedly buying terrbile houses and renovating them to sell to buyers and improve the prospects of a very distressed neighborhood. Over time it seems to be just remodeling to create rentals and AirBnBs and create neighborhoods that are no longer available to lower income residents and lately to remodel large upper middle class homes and businesses. This has no appeal to me whatsoever.

I would much rather watch a show about renovating a distressed neighborhood so that lower income people could still buy or rent there. To do that you'd need to remodel less flashily and skip the fancy fixtures and marble etc and simply make solid good homes.  Honestly I would totally watch that happen. Watching Mina and her crew use the same cabinets, counters, and islands and questionable public living space in these homes is beyond boring. Repurposing (not Karen's stupid shit), using cabinetry from a remodel to clean up and place in a lower price remodel, etc. They just destroy everything and order new. I wouldn't pay for any of the houses I see them do on this show. They seem overbuilt out for the lots and for the size of the resulting home itself.  Four bedrooms with kitchen seating for two is ridiculous no matter what you plan to do with the place.

For me, they were an interesting concept. Now they are just playing the same tune over and over and throwing in extra bedrooms and bathrooms just so they can raise prices.

The whole AirBnB thing pisses me off too. Can you imagine living next door to one or more of those?  You have kids and you worry about them riding their bikes on the sidewalk or anything because some unknown possible skeevy people move in and out of the house next door, have parties every week (plus the parking problems that causes), etc. Goodbye pleasant neighborhood, hello party central. There should be much stricter zoning laws.

• Love 12
17 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

The whole AirBnB thing pisses me off too. Can you imagine living next door to one or more of those?  You have kids and you worry about them riding their bikes on the sidewalk or anything because some unknown possible skeevy people move in and out of the house next door, have parties every week (plus the parking problems that causes), etc. Goodbye pleasant neighborhood, hello party central. There should be much stricter zoning laws.

I agree.  They have a couple photos of a wedding on the AirBnB listing:

c8e8d83b-d201-4823-93ae-d6d668cd849d.jpe

494feb06-6df9-4272-ab0e-a7e4dd3e66fa.jpe

There is no way every person in attendance Ubered or rideshared.  Where did they put all those cars?

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

What galls me is that this was originally a show purportedly buying terrbile houses and renovating them to sell to buyers and improve the prospects of a very distressed neighborhood. Over time it seems to be just remodeling to create rentals and AirBnBs and create neighborhoods that are no longer available to lower income residents and lately to remodel large upper middle class homes and businesses. This has no appeal to me whatsoever.

I would much rather watch a show about renovating a distressed neighborhood so that lower income people could still buy or rent there. To do that you'd need to remodel less flashily and skip the fancy fixtures and marble etc and simply make solid good homes.  Honestly I would totally watch that happen.

Try watching Bargain Block.  That is what they do in Detroit.

There's another one called "In With the Old" that also does the same in Detroit, but that is on Magnolia channel.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, KeithJ said:

I agree.  They have a couple photos of a wedding on the AirBnB listing:

c8e8d83b-d201-4823-93ae-d6d668cd849d.jpe

494feb06-6df9-4272-ab0e-a7e4dd3e66fa.jpe

There is no way every person in attendance Ubered or rideshared.  Where did they put all those cars?

I bet they park elsewhere, and have buses to the venue, and if they have the reception off site, they get picked up and transported there.    Unless they have catering on site, or allow outside caterers.   I just wonder where all of the wedding vendors park?   And where the tent was put up at?  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

A bathtub out in the open in the living area of the carriage house. Who the heck would want that? That is the dumbest idea ever.

The whole carriage house design is dumb. The downstairs venue area seemed to have room for about 5 tables. So I guess you have to put up a tent outside for your event. Over $400K to renovate the carriage house to be used as an event space, except it's actually too small to be an event space so you have to put up a tent outside. Brilliant.

I didn't see any secured separation between any of the spaces so it doesn't seem like either of the two apartments could be rented out separately as airbnbs.

I'm not really sure what the point of this series is other than to show Mina as completely out of her depth on this project. If the carriage house cost over $400K to renovate, that big house and outside combined is going to be $1M. 

• Love 7

The entire time I watched this I kept thinking, 'who exactly is her target renter/client?'.  She keeps saying that the renting of the carriage house will help pay for the reno on the big house but who would rent that carriage house? It can't be lived in. It would be a crappy AirBnb while the big house is under renovation. Who would want to rent there?  Who wants to take a bath in front of the windows and in the living room? She kept talking like it was some boutique hotel, but it is not a boutique hotel, it is a back house on a lot in a crappy area of Indianapolis. You could use it for a wedding if you didn't mind a small venue with a tent outside and a huge monstrosity of a house sitting in front of it, under construction. Who is going to rent that thing?

I think that either Mina is delusional or there is some weird ass party rental business going on in Indianapolis of which we are entirely ignorant.

• Like 2
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I think that either Mina is delusional or there is some weird ass party rental business going on in Indianapolis of which we are entirely ignorant.

Personally, I think this show has jumped the shark. It's totally unwatchable,

• Applause 3
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Personally, I think this show has jumped the shark. It's totally unwatchable,

I agree with you.   I'm guessing on the regular show, most are some kind of vacation or short term rental, with Indy 500 rentals going for thousands a month, plus football season,   Then from their website they have a bunch of short term rentals they own.   

You can look at houses they've done with a bathroom for every bedroom, tiny dining table, or only bar stools at a kitchen island, and the many open shelves (better for short term renters so they don't have to hunt for dishes, glasses, etc. ), and they're really not doing houses for individuals any more.   

The jump the shark moment for me was when they did that three story house 'forever house'  for the producer or director for his family, and the day or so after the episode aired, it was on the market.    Then, when she did that cheap looking hack job on the NBA player's house, and she said she wanted to change to remodeling high end properties, that was the end for me.   

Sadly, I didn't even watch the Risky Business series, I just wasn't interested, because I could predict exactly what was going to happen.  

I remember someone posting the Carriage House pictures a while ago, and it screamed short term rental to me.   I can't imagine renting the carriage house, and having a party going on right next to you.  

I dislike the very dark back splash tile, or wallpaper, it shows every speck.     I haven't been watching the Risky Business series, so I had to laugh at Miss Marble everything putting contact paper on a counter. 

Here's the ad with photos.   https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/685443456300800777?source_impression_id=p3_1663880034_I7n5whk2bxPlyheI

Not impressed with the main house decorating, and definitely not impressed with the carriage house.   They claim it's an event space, but the b and b ad says no parties or events.  Notice no reviews yet either. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
On 9/21/2022 at 4:12 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

The entire time I watched this I kept thinking, 'who exactly is her target renter/client?'.

I was thinking "no one with a physical disability or anyone who uses a wheelchair."  Stairs, no elevator, and the accessibility in some of those bathrooms is laughable.  Mina's houses are private spaces.  The carriage house is a public venue.

I don't like how she's painting this as some legacy for her children.  Mina and Karen deserve all the props in the world for starting and sustaining a successful business headed by women.  Good for them.  Really.  However, this thing with "Charlotte's House" is a bit much.  Mina's giving off this vibe like someone who's starting a charity or making a great philanthropic effort.  That's not what this is.  She's expanding her empire.

• Love 3

A couple of years ago (before the pandemic) I was asked to have a "venue" for a church thing for a capital campaign. I was contacted by an elderly couple about accessibility to our house and I realized that we had steps everywhere. Any way to get into our house involved steps. I really wish that homes were built with more attention to accessibility. My father, before he passed away, had so much trouble when he visited us for this reason. And of course eventually this will be a problem for my husband and me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 3

I think Mina's idea is the various short term rentals will be a good income for her kids.  She's probably right about that, since Indiana law says no city or county can limit short term rentals.  The short term market in Indianapolis is fantastic from the Indy 500 month of May, all of the sports teams located there, and many big events happen there. 

I just feel sorry for the people who live near their rentals, unless they have better parking than it looks like they do.   I can't imagine living next to Charlotte Hall, during a wedding or other big event.  

I also hated the photos I saw of the carriage house 'garage doors' with huge clear panels.   When they have anything in the main house or yard, people will be able to see if you're inside, and maybe drop in.  Main house and carriage house rented by the same person, rents for $1200 a night, and carriage house only  for $800.  Main house has 5 suites, and carriage house has 3 suites. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Mina didn't use her regular crew on the carriage house initially because they were busy on other projects.  

She shares her new office space with Finley, so if there is a bathroom attached it isn't limited to just her use.  She stated that she is usually out in the field so there was no need for her to have a private office. 

Honestly I think her crew does her dirty about half the time and perhaps she should look into getting someone better than Corey to run the projects.  I guess that's the problem with hiring your own friends and family - it is hard to be a disciplinarian.

Karen apparently now is totally gone from the business...maybe Mina is finding out that Karen was more than just silly projects and is having to learn on the fly.  

I do like how supportive her husband is.  And her children really are cute.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Mina has bitten off far too much.  I used to like the show when they rebuilt small, falling apart houses, but it has gone off the rails and isn't that show anymore.  I started losing interest around the time Mina started saying "chop and pop."  I stopped watching after a few episodes this season.  I'm not interested in watching a show about Mina's businesses.

• Love 4

I'm over the "Are we going to be finished in time?!?" drama. Of course they are or there wouldn't be a show.

Mina's an asshole and shitty boss to constantly be putting wildly unreasonable deadlines on her team and everyone she works with. There, I said it.

On a positive note, except for the jailhouse staircase, I've generally liked everything Iron Timbers has done. They are very talented and extremely patient with Mina's ridiculousness. I do appreciate that TC&H contracts with and spotlights local artisans.

• Like 2

Wow. What a coincidence!  Mina (and a camera crew) just happened to be getting her hair done and her stylist just happened to have been recently proposed to and is looking for a wedding venue!  That's amazing!  And it comes with a deadline! Which even we know is not reasonable but there Mina is, committing herself to the deadline. Drama!!!  This show, I swear.

What killed me was when Mina was showing the bride the upstairs and she seemed less than thrilled. I mean, when she saw the wedding suite bathroom she was 'Yeeeah...ooooookaaay.'  lol

Now, I apologize to anyone who actually liked this thing Mina is doing but I hated it. The colors were dreary and darkened the rooms too much, everything looked too crowded, I hate gold fixtures and the shower in the wedding suite just looked so tacky to me. I don't care how much a thing actually costs, if it looks tacky it's tacky. I just hated the whole thing. It needed more light and airyness and not these cramped dark spaces. And once again, I ask you: who wants a bathtub in front of a street facing large clear window? Seriously!  The view could be nice (doubtful) but the view goes both ways. No. No.

And so of course there are leaks and the stair railing is not what Mina wanted, etc. Of course!  Because drama!! 

ETA:  I don't hate Victorian or period building in general. We had a wedding at the Ebell in Long Beach and it had lovely staircases and period decorations and everything but there was also room for everything. Three was a sense of space. And it wasn't all cramped and dark or weird colors (Mina chose medium gray for one room and one had a rosy blush color. The bathroom was a pink hole in the wall IMO.)  I hope she can pull off the first floor better than she did the second. And the speakeasy in the basement can't help but be dark I'm thinking.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Love 2
On 9/28/2022 at 3:29 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Now, I apologize to anyone who actually liked this thing Mina is doing but I hated it. The colors were dreary and darkened the rooms too much, And the speakeasy in the basement can't help but be dark I'm thinking.

I agree with a lot (a LOT) of what you said except this. HGTV and other "designers" have brainwashed people into believing that if a room or cabinets not white or very light grey everything will be dark and feel smaller. This isn't true at all. It's much more complicated than that. Same with the myth of great communication and "airiness" by open concept. 

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I'm finding it hard to take this wedding deadline seriously. 

This is a couple planning a wedding in Covid times.

There's dozens of couples doing the same thing meaning there's an extremely high demand with probably not many if any affordable venues to book and Mina's venue is not only not booked but likely comes at a discount. 

I just cant't take the will they/won't they seriously as if they're doing her a favour or contemplating other options since just short of eloping there's no way they'd be able to get another venue in under 3 months (especially in under two). I liked the event planner originally but having her back and attempting to make this seem legitimate is just too much. 

And there's no non tv- drama reason this wedding or any other couple's wedding couldn't be a month after the property was completed on a normal timeline.

Edited by Barlowe
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

I am so confused by this whole set up. There are no weddings or events held in the B&B? So the weddings and parties all take place in the carriage house? Guests crowded into a tent with fake grass and the reception takes place in the small carriage house with a couple of tables set up. The area around this property does not look inviting to me. What am I missing here? 

• Love 5
On 9/28/2022 at 12:50 PM, Grrarrggh said:

I agree with a lot (a LOT) of what you said except this. HGTV and other "designers" have brainwashed people into believing that if a room or cabinets not white or very light grey everything will be dark and feel smaller. This isn't true at all. It's much more complicated than that. Same with the myth of great communication and "airiness" by open concept. 

I am not even a fan of open concept myself, but the house Mina is renovating is an old Victorian with lots of space but divided into small areas. So it needs updating, obviously. The wedding suite was fine but the other bedrooms were small and the grey one and the 'blush' one were small, crowded and over stuffed IMO. Mina sucks at decorating and style general.

i mean, her company offices have huge open spaces which make no sense at all but her actual living spaces are cramped. That is her MO. Again, not talking about open concept and  'airyness' everywhere, but cramped and crowded and painted old fashioned drab colors does not help.

On 9/29/2022 at 6:53 PM, 65mickey said:

I am so confused by this whole set up. There are no weddings or events held in the B&B? So the weddings and parties all take place in the carriage house? Guests crowded into a tent with fake grass and the reception takes place in the small carriage house with a couple of tables set up. The area around this property does not look inviting to me. What am I missing here? 

In the commercials Mina said she finished the carriage house first, so they were using it.   The carriage house has three suites, and the main house only has five suites, maybe to have event rooms?   

There doesn't seem to be any parking either, so what are vendors supposed to do for events for parking, loading and unloading? 

I suspect that Mina bought the house with the reno figured in, to a certain amount of budget.    I wouldn't be surprised if part is sponsored either by certain companies to feature their products, or the production company.   

I remember when Flip or Flop did the summer series of at least 6 mega backyard renovations, and I think they said later that they were losers, but the production company wanted extra ratings.  So they paid extra for the backyard remodels with pools with dinosaur skeletons in the wall, outdoor TVs, kitchens, pools, covered patios with every amentity.   So, they did the regular remodels, and the extra extravagant back yards were financed for them.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
On 9/29/2022 at 7:53 PM, 65mickey said:

I'm wondering if HGTV is fronting some of these purchases in order to make more TV.  Mina's renovating a Victorian house, Dave and Jenny Marrs renovated an inn, and Jasmine Roth just bought a cabin.  All three have turned into "special" series.  I wonder if HGTV surveyed their talent and told them "Hey, we'll help you finance buying some different kinds of properties, but we will have the rights to turn the efforts into a series." 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/2/2022 at 10:27 AM, Ohmo said:

I'm wondering if HGTV is fronting some of these purchases in order to make more TV.  Mina's renovating a Victorian house, Dave and Jenny Marrs renovated an inn, and Jasmine Roth just bought a cabin.  All three have turned into "special" series.  I wonder if HGTV surveyed their talent and told them "Hey, we'll help you finance buying some different kinds of properties, but we will have the rights to turn the efforts into a series." 

Yeah, when I saw Jasmine's cabin episode I thought to myself that at the very least these renovations are taxable as business expenses even though they are personal purchases/renos. That's why Jasmine was so determined to get it on the magazine cover deadline:  she can write this reno off.

Personally I have had it with the personal reno projects and the phony deadlines/drama involved. If they thought it was a good idea to have their different show hosts do this IMO they were sadly mistaken. I couldn't be less interested or more bored.

• Love 4
On 10/2/2022 at 10:27 AM, Ohmo said:

Yeah, when I saw Jasmine's cabin episode I thought to myself that at the very least these renovations are taxable as business expenses even though they are personal purchases/renos. That's why Jasmine was so determined to get it on the magazine cover deadline:  she can write this reno off.

Personally I have had it with the personal reno projects and the phony deadlines/drama involved. If they thought it was a good idea to have their different show hosts do this IMO they were sadly mistaken. I couldn't be less interested or more bored.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I couldn't agree more. We want to see renos that might inspire things we would could do or aspire to. Not watch rich TV personalities further enriching themselves with unique and often dumb or poorly executed projects.

One possibility for why several shows have done this is with the uncertainties of Covid lockdowns & supply problems, they don't have to coordinate constantly changing schedules with buyers outside of their families & work crews. But it is getting old. Very old.

Edited by deirdra
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
On 9/28/2022 at 12:07 PM, bilgistic said:

Mina's an asshole and shitty boss to constantly be putting wildly unreasonable deadlines on her team and everyone she works with. There, I said it.

I've been thinking throughout this whole Risky Business series that I doubt Finley sleeps very well at night due to all the stress of her job.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Because I have to know everything (so says my boyfriend), I looked Finley up on LinkedIn and saw she has no construction experience (which, I guess to be fair, neither did Mina when she started, but she wasn't trying to run an established company). Finley worked in development for Special Olympics and then as a daycare teacher. I'm going to assume she was a friend of a friend to get the job with Two Chicks.

When Mina took Jack into that side room where there were stacks of pizzas, I thought of this meme:

ee0.jpeg

Also, Mina SUCKS for acting like she did to the Iron Timbers guys. "Design what you want" but "we hate what you HAND CARVED." Both her and MJ acting like brats who didn't like their dinner was obnoxious. I hope those guys get paid very well and seriously consider dropping Mina as a client.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3