Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

People have been speculating about Alys' superficial visual similarities with Sansa since the actress was cast, but I don't think there's anything to it.  Among other things, the casting notice for Alys did contain any physical specifications, so I expect them ending up with an actress with that hair colour was coincidental.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Eyes High said:

f WatchersOnMyBalls is right about Jaime dying in Brienne's arms, and that actor who's appearing as Lord Hornwood in 8x03 and 8x04 who recently said that he saw three versions of a scene Jaime being shot (dies, injured but survives, survives) is also right, it sounds like Jaime dies in 8x03 or 8x04.

Nikolaj seemed to imply that he had scenes in 8x06 with the way he talked about the final scene he filmed, but maybe they're Arya-as-Jaime scenes, which of course would be played by Nikolaj

The more I think about it, the more I have I hard time with the whole ‘Arya’s as Jaime’ idea. Is it even a real spoiler or speculation? Because I can’t, for the life of me, see how it is better, dramatically speaking, that Cersei dies by Arya’s hands than Jaime’s - or Tyrion’s. 

Maybe Arya saying that Beric was once one her list is an indication that the whole list thing is in the past?

Also, where is this ‘Jaime dies in Brienne’s arms’ from?

1 hour ago, bubble sparkly said:

Although it would be hilarious if Cersei tasked the GC with kidnapping Sansa and they proudly present her with Alys lol.

They sort have done that with Roz instead of Shae, and the wrong dwarf head.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

I don't think so. As expected, the food issue was a big nothing because the AOTD arrived in a matter of days -no remark about the impending shortage of food in 8x02 whereas everybody was eating LOL.

It not in a matter of days unless you believe that Umber got from WF to Last Hearth in a day or two, in winter. Or that Theon now also has a teleporter since he got to WF the episode after he was in KL.

But of course the food shortage won't be discussed again because continuity ain't to be found in this show. It made for conflict in one episode, no need to mention it again. That's how this show rolls.

• LOL 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, Raachel2008 said:

The more I think about it, the more I have I hard time with the whole ‘Arya’s as Jaime’ idea. Is it even a real spoiler or speculation? Because I can’t, for the life of me, see how it is better, dramatically speaking, that Cersei dies by Arya’s hands than Jaime’s - or Tyrion’s. 

Maybe Arya saying that Beric was once one her list is an indication that the whole list thing is in the past?

Also, where is this ‘Jaime dies in Brienne’s arms’ from?

Arya-as-Jaime killing Cersei is a long-held fan theory. What gave it some legs recently is the leaker who provided photo of corpse prop piles from the battle of Winterfell saying that he saw a scene where Jaime dies in Brienne’s arms, and (even more recently) an actor playing a Hornwood and credited for 8x03 and 8x04 telling a Polish media outlet that three versions of a Jaime scene were filmed (one where Jaime dies, one where Jaime survives but is injured, and one where Jaime survives uninjured).

There have been two credible reports from extras on the KL exterior set of filming with Maisie and Nikolaj, so if they were filming simultaneously as Arya and Jaime, we can rule out Jaime dying in 8x04. If the scenes being filmed were Arya switching between Arya and Arya-as-Jaime, that would mean that he dies before 8x05, but then you would think that the extras would realize what was going on. (Maisie and Nikolaj would be wearing the same clothing, for one.)

With Sapochnik’s comments about the next three episodes being the beginning, middle and end, I wonder if the deaths will be spread out through all three rather than packed into 8x03 and 8x05. Some characters could sustain injuries in 8x03 and die in 8x04.

On Freefolk, some fans have noticed that some of the actors in what appear to be the Seville BTS interviews have new scar makeup. Maisie has a new scar on her forehead (matching the head wound Arya gets in 8x03). Gwendoline has a new scar on her forehead, too. 

8x04 is the one episode we know absolutely nothing about, so I’ll be very excited to see the 8x04 promo. These final four episodes are going to be wild.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Theon is almost guaranteed to get a redemption death in 8x03, so that's another reason why Jaime doing the same thing at the same time but to a much bigger fan reaction would feel odd to me. If it's somehow stretched out so that he only dies in 8x04 I guess that would be more plausible, but the point about how extras should have noticed them wearing the same clothing is a good argument against Arya-as-Jaime switching faces while running around KL.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, ElizaD said:

Theon is almost guaranteed to get a redemption death in 8x03, so that's another reason why Jaime doing the same thing at the same time but to a much bigger fan reaction would feel odd to me. If it's somehow stretched out so that he only dies in 8x04 I guess that would be more plausible, but the point about how extras should have noticed them wearing the same clothing is a good argument against Arya-as-Jaime switching faces while running around KL.

It's always a tricky business trying to read anything into actor interviews, but Nikolaj seemed pleased as punch with Jaime's S8 storyline. The thing he hated about S7 was that Jaime was still under Cersei's spell and hadn't abandoned her. Given that, I think Nikolaj would be far happier with Jaime dying a redemption death in the arms of Brienne and far, far away from Cersei than with a final confrontation between the two that kills them both.

On the other hand, the last meeting between Jaime and Cersei in S7 was not what I would have expected from the writers in terms of weight and tone if it was indeed truly intended to be the last conversation Jaime and Cersei would ever have. It seemed at the time as if they were saving something or holding something back for a final blowout between the two (and I thought the same about Tyrion and Cersei). I guess we'll know soon enough.

Someone on FF pointed out that Tyrion's troubled look at the prospect of Jon/Dany sex at the end of 7x07 might be just as meaningless to the plot of S8 as Sansa's troubled look at Jon's coronation in 6x10 and Jaime's troubled look at Cersei on the throne in 6x10: Sansa remained loyal to Jon and Jaime didn't abandon Cersei until she disagreed with him over the WW threat. I do wonder whether we're going to hear anything more about Tyrion's unrequited love for Dany. It was Varys, not Tyrion who nixed the idea of encouraging a Jon/Dany marriage in 8x01 by saying that Jon and Dany wouldn't listen to them, and I honestly haven't seen anything in the first two episodes that clearly spell it out (unlike Arya/Gendry and Brienne/Jaime, which were about as subtle as a brick to the head). Tyrion even praised Jon in front of Dany at the Northern lords meeting.

On the other hand, it seems like Peter Dinklage in interviews has said that Tyrion is in love with Dany (or "thinks he is," which seems like an important caveat), so Peter Dinklage must be getting that notion from somewhere (i.e. notes from D&D or the scripts), and the S7 outlines seem to lean hard into that. There was also that cryptic comment to Jaime about how whoremongering is no longer an option for him. I wondered if it had to do with his marriage vows a few pages back, but maybe he is just so hopelessly in love with Dany that he can't bring himself to do it anymore. So I don't know where it's all going, except that I do think that Tyrion giving up whores is somehow important for plot purposes, maybe to show just how hopelessly in love with Dany Tyrion is (and maybe to explain how he'll betray the Starks out of love for her...? I dunno).

Edited by Eyes High
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, bubble sparkly said:

Is book Alys the one who married a wildling? It’s possible they are keeping her around to be shown married to a wilding or Dothraki in the epilogue to show how all the different factions have integrated (and that the Northerners no longer run screaming from a brown person). Alys, girl, do yourself a favor and hook up with Qhono. He’s a million times hotter than the ugly dumbasses we’ve seen so far in the North.

Although it would be hilarious if Cersei tasked the GC with kidnapping Sansa and they proudly present her with Alys lol.

I may have missed it, but I do not recall any of the Northerners running and screaming from a brown person.  I do recall the Northerners not being fond of any of the people who have come with Jon and Dany (and, in fact, the most hostile reaction was when a Northerner spat at Jaime).  I may be wrong, but if not, I believe this may be a categorization of racism that grew from a general reaction against all of the visitors.

• Love 3

Maybe this has already been mentioned but do you think we will see Edmure Tully again?

The show has been better than I thought of picking up all the characters who were dropped along the way but that guy's still MIA. I suppose he'd still be locked up at riverrun? But all the Freys are dead. Maybe he'll be the one to swoop in and save the day in this battle? 😄

• Useful 2
14 hours ago, Smad said:

It not in a matter of days unless you believe that Umber got from WF to Last Hearth in a day or two, in winter.

I believe this show trademarked the jetpack travel, LOL. A couple of weeks is still counted in days, isn't it? Anyway, not nearly long enough to exhaust a whole year, maybe more, of food stocks.

47 minutes ago, Holmbo said:

Maybe this has already been mentioned but do you think we will see Edmure Tully again?

The show has been better than I thought of picking up all the characters who were dropped along the way but that guy's still MIA. I suppose he'd still be locked up at riverrun? But all the Freys are dead. Maybe he'll be the one to swoop in and save the day in this battle? 😄

The actor was spotted in Seville during filming, so there's a chance he shows up in KL.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, ElizaD said:

According to Cogman. Jaime (and by consequence Theon and the Hound) don't have redemption arcs. 

Cogman: I don’t believe in the term “redemption arc.” I don’t know what the fuck it means. Do we have redemption arcs? No, we live our lives. We make mistakes. We take two steps backwards after taking five steps forward. There’s no such fucking thing as a redemption arc. I don’t believe in it. And I don’t think Jaime is on one, necessarily. Jaime’s just living his life and changing.

Edited by WindyNights
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Constantinople said:

If Winterfell still stands or is rebuilt, is Theon permitted to be buried there? He was a Lord of Winterfell, albeit briefly

No. It's only for Starks. It'd be like burying Ramsay there since he was a Lord of Winterfell as well or burying Tyrion since he was an unofficial one.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Constantinople said:

If Winterfell still stands or is rebuilt, is Theon permitted to be buried there? He was a Lord of Winterfell, albeit briefly

They will probably burn the dead so that they don't become wights. Since the ashes will be mixed, I don't think Theon specifically would be buried at Winterfell. But Maybe there's a mass grave in the castle for anyone who lost their life.

• Love 1

New video about Tyrion from The Take by ScreenPrism, with some interesting new insight about his recent failures:

It would be an interesting twist if he and Dany turned out to be half siblings. Secret feelings about her aside, their relationship is sibllingesque IMHO and if they both live it be nice for them to have a brother/sister that isn't crazy/evil. And I agree the series has hinted that he, Jon, and Dany are all connected somehow.

If nothing else, this video sums up how much it would suck if Tyrion was a traitor.

• Love 1

Looks like we may have to just watch this next episode without detailed spoilers.  Sigh, okay, if that's how you want to play it, HBO.

What exactly happens at Winterfell and how the plot connects that to whatever's going down in King's Landing is the biggest question mark of the whole season, so soon we'll have the answer.  I don't remotely expect the Night King to be defeated this quickly, but at the same time I cannot escape the feeling that if the show goes the "total rout of the good guys" route that a lot of people seem to be expecting, it's going to be a narrative trainwreck.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Looks like we may have to just watch this next episode without detailed spoilers.  Sigh, okay, if that's how you want to play it, HBO

I just came here looking/hoping for some details...mostly just a list of dead characters so I could prepare. I debated not watching live so I could get spoilers but, with a (probably) high death count I might end up skipping altogether if someone I really really like dies tonight. Guess I'll have to go in blind and hope this weekend doesn't destroy me. Seriously HBO, couldn't you have pushed this off a week to allow some emotional rollercoasters?!

Edited by Morrigan2575

There are some pictures from the battle on Freefolk that confirm at least two deaths if not three. I'm not sure if we are allowed to discuss the pictures here, so I just wanted to tell you. They have been posted a few minutes ago, so if you are ordering the Topics by "new" you can find it pretty soon.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

There are some pictures from the battle on Freefolk that confirm at least two deaths if not three. I'm not sure if we are allowed to discuss the pictures here, so I just wanted to tell you. They have been posted a few minutes ago, so if you are ordering the Topics by "new" you can find it pretty soon.

Three deaths confirmed now, maybe a fourth. (I have to work for twelve hours tomorrow. How am I going to sleep now? Argh.)

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

zbe39m00t2v21.jpg

• Love 1

rebey3bhp2v21.jpg

Just now, joliefaire said:

SOme of the pics are so dark I can't tell what I'm looking at--but apparently there's one that seems to show Jon on fire?!  Can anybody point that one out?

Low rez, found the bright versions.

I’m not going to check the pics, I need at least some surprise. Also, I don’t want to be disappointed; while I don’t really wanna anyone to die, I’m afraid the writers won’t have the guts to kill a major character - sorry, Jorah and Pod doesn’t count.

Thanks for the heads up wrt the Jaime-Arya theory. I hope it doesn’t happen that way.

1 minute ago, Clawdette said:

The bottom row, underneath the Night King shows someone engulfed in flames and the photo is beside one showing Jon surrounded by flames.

Looks like the Night King is the one on fire. I'm guessing it either doesn't work or weakens but, doesn't kill him. A small retreat and then a final battle in 805 or 806?

2 minutes ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

According to witch Melisandre tells Davos that she'll be dead before dawn.

I didn't put link , because just not sure, whole slew in Spanish.

Edited by GrailKing
10 minutes ago, SeanC said:

EDIT:  mod answered.

Lyanna’s death looks brutal.

Is she the one with the giant, next to the picture of her dead? I wondered if it was  her, Alys Karstark  or Gilly (if so, they'd be the fourth death).

Someone else than Theon will have to serve Jon the "you're a Targaryen and you're a Stark" speech. Poor Yara, she's going to be destroyed.

Daenerys looks destroyed, next to Jorah.

The last picture in the first batch with the tons of bodies is so impressive. I wonder if the cloaked figure is Sansa.