Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, anamika said:

Tyrion betrayal of the Starks is rather hard to see right now. I can see Sansa/Tyrion teaming up against Dany. Or Tyrion going against the Starks if Sansa plots against Dany.

I don't know why, but it says I wrote the post you tagged. I didn't. I just responded to the post with basically the same thing you said. 

7 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I agree. Next episode will tell. I am not going to lie. I will be furious if this is true. After all Dany has done and sacrificed to have Jon kill her is so wrong. However, maybe this is what the antagonism between Sansa and Dany is building towards.

The thing is: It will really come down to two things in the next episode.  Between Jon and Dany, who is willing to give up their right to the throne in favor of supporting the other (in which its likely Jon will support Dany) and who will refuse to give up their claim and fight over it without stopping to think of the cost (which will likely be Dany).  Yes, she risked her life and her dragons again on the field of battle, but they were in battle where emotions were running high and she was thinking more of the enemy in front of her.  Now that the war against the AotD is over, she wants that crown on her head.  

Ultimately, I think that there is no win-win for TPTB and  the fandom here.  D&D will ultimately put on the throne (if there is one left) who GRRM wants on the throne. I don't think they will deviate on that point, just maybe how they get there. Regardless, no matter who is on the throne people are going to complain.

If Jon is on the throne, despite the fact that he has right of succession, ppl will complain that TPTB are masogynist, sexist, and hate women....... completely ignoring that modern principles don't apply to a show clearly set in a world that IS masogynist, sexist, and more or less show little respect for women. D&D didn't create the world, GRRM did. 

If Dany ends up on the throne, people will complain that she is too ruthless and prone to the madness that runs in the Targs, and that TPTB only gave her the throne so they wouldn't get accused of being sexist, and hating women. 

There are arguments for and against every remaining character of importance being the one to sit on the throne. Whether those arguments are valid or not. Ultimately it doesn't matter because if the one on the throne if your fave, you will see nothing wrong with it, and if your favorite is not on the throne, you will see everything wrong with it.  This is one of the reasons why I fervently hope there is no throne left.

I also think people need to stop fighting over who is the biggest badass on the show.  If your still alive at the end of 803, your a badass and you played your part in the death of the Night King.

Yes, Arya killed the NK.  But she was heading to KL until she heard that Jon and Sansa took back the North.  So she wouldn't have been there otherwise.

Jon wouldn't have taken back the North unless Sansa talked him into it.

The Wildlings would have all been fodder for the NK if Jon hadn't made peace with them and brought them south of the wall, and gained their respect and trust.  

The North wouldn't have named him KoTN, which gave him a position of power to allow him to Parley with Dany, without seeing him being a bad ass on the battlefield. 

Dany, her dragons, and armies, were alot of help; but they wouldn't have been there if Jon hadn't gone South against the wishes of his people, to gain her as an allie and get the dragon glass. She would have continued focusing on the South.  

Dany had the numbers and the Dragons

Jon brought them all together

Ayra made the final blow.

They are all equally a force of nature.

6 hours ago, anamika said:

So is 'A Song of Ice and Fire' over and now we are back to a Game of Thrones?

And as per the show, the dragons were not able to kill the NK/WW, it was Arya, so what does a Song of Ice and Fire even mean on the show?

From my understanding GRRM said that the Song of Ice and Fire is either referring to Jon who is a Stark and Targ or the union of Jon and Dany.  I could be wrong.

• Love 8

So now that the NK is dead and the long night is over, does that mean winter is over and we have spring? And that there's no more snow. It looked bright and sunny over in KL. I wonder if WF is going to be the same and the rest of Westeros. No more snow for the next three episodes down south.

13 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

From my understanding GRRM said that the Song of Ice and Fire is either referring to Jon who is a Stark and Targ or the union of Jon and Dany.  I could be wrong.

The song of ice and fire as per GRRM and the show refers to Dany rising in the east and the threat of the WW beyond the wall and their ultimate clash. Utlimately that ended up pointless since it was Arya who was instrumental in taking down the Others on the show, not Dany - and the dragonfire proved to be useless.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, anamika said:

So now that the NK is dead and the long night is over, does that mean winter is over and we have spring? And that there's no more snow. It looked bright and sunny over in KL. I wonder if WF is going to be the same and the rest of Westeros. No more snow for the next three episodes down south.

I wondered the same about the lack of snow and the bright sun over KL.

(edited)
29 minutes ago, anamika said:

Is he in love with her though? I thought he was smitten with Dany?

We haven't heard anything about Tyrion's love for Dany in S8, but we did have Tyrion striking up a conversation with Sansa at the first available opportunity, mysteriously sighing to Jaime that whoremongering's no longer an option for him, and now in 8x03 tentatively raising the issue of staying married with Sansa (and kissing her hand!). It was Varys who demurred when Davos raised the possibility of a Dany/Jon marriage, not Tyrion, which is what you would expect if this whole jealousy plot was going somewhere.

I am not sure what to think of their interaction. I did notice that Sansa had a strange look on her face when she talked about looking the truth in the face and Tyrion seemed to glare at Missandei after her comment. It's  Missandei who comes to Dany's defense while Tyrion just smirks at Sansa's comment about the dragon queen.

It does seem significant that Missandei stuck up for Dany and not Tyrion. There's also that shot in the 8x04 promo of a beaming Dany flanked by Missandei and Varys, not Tyrion.

I have continued to have the feeling that Tyrion is not fully on Dany's side.

Yeah. If he's in love with Sansa, and I maintain that that hand kiss was the last, desperate act of a man in love, he's not and he never will be fully on Dany's side. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2

One of the reasons, I did not prescribe to Jon Vs Dany is that in the books we already have fAegon for a Dance of dragons with Dany. He's most probably going to be sitting in KL before Dany gets there and they are going to clash. And then Dany is going to fight again with Jon? I just don't see it in the books, especially since there we have her POV and read her thoughts and her desire for the house with the red door and how she only wants to do what's right even though she's prone to some impulsive decisions when angry.

But again, none of these characters bear any similarities anymore to their book versions and look to be getting to their book endgames in different ways.

I wonder if Arya will get any interaction with Dany and Tyrion next episode or if she is going to continue to spend her time in the forge with hot Gendry and then pop out whenever it is necessary for her to kill some folks.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Here the link to what the recent poster said.

He didn't say that Jon kills someone, though. He just said that somebody dies in a scene  involving Jon.

I'm willing to eat crow if it should happen, but I still don't think at all that Jon and Dany will fight each other. If Dany was indeed going mad or see Jon as a rival, couldn't she have just let him die last episode instead of helping him?

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

He didn't say that Jon kills someone, though. He just said that somebody dies in a scene  involving Jon.

You are right about the specific wording, but the extras were "audibly shocked" which suggests... something. 

36 minutes ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

I'm willing to eat crow if it should happen, but I still don't think at all that Jon and Dany will fight each other. If Dany was indeed going mad or see Jon as a rival, couldn't she have just let him die last episode instead of helping him?

I don't get why Dany and Jon would fight each other or Jon would kill Dany either. Like you said, Dany could have easily killed Jon or let him die last night. No one would have suspected that she did so. I suppose you could say that she needed him to get to Bran, but here was no guarantee that Jon would even get to him over that battlefield and as far as she knew, Bran was protected.

Maybe Dany really does go insane over the next two or three episodes. It seems ridiculous as I type it, but maybe the actors were telling the truth when they said that the ending was shocking and unpredictable. This would be it. Although, killing one's crazy rival for the throne is standard sci fantasy storytelling.

Another thought, Qyburn said that Cersei has plans for Dany. Could she be allied with some other unexpected enemy.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

The prospect of the final three episodes being about Cersei really highlights how diminished the Lannister side is now.  Even apart from my being kind of exhausted with Cersei, there’s not a single real character in her supporting cast now.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, screamin said:

Will everyone take a breather to heal up and lick their wounds as well as tax Cersei's treasury by having her pay her mercenaries AND starve her citizens before resuming the war in the springtime when everyone's healed up and Cersei's running out of cash?

That would be a very Tywin-esque move to make, so maybe Tyrion will suggest it? Of course, the North will be in a worse financial situation (given the level of devastation) and (as Sansa pointed out), they can't support all of Danny's army from Winterfell's stores so it (should) make strategic sense to attack and live off Cersei's lands (yeah, sucks to be a peasant... again) than weaken your own side by depleting your resources. I also can't see D&D resisting the temptation of a final battle between Cersei & Team Starkgaryen.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Maybe Dany really does go insane over the next two or three episodes. It seems ridiculous as I type it, but maybe the actors were telling the truth when they said that the ending was shocking and unpredictable. This would be it. Although, killing one's crazy rival for the throne is standard sci fantasy storytelling.

I just keep picturing this Battle of the two Mad Queens with Cersei screaming and burning everything and Dany screaming and burning everything while the brave men try to restrain their hormonal crazy ladies. If all else fails, I trust it will be comical.

Emilia Clarke is a much better person than I am because if the character I had played and loved and admired for 8 years just became a crazy woman who had to be put down like a mad dog by her boyfriend, I wouldn't do any interviews and I would most certainly not get any tattoo related to that story on my body. I also just remembered that her mother "forgot" the ending lol. I'd like to forget it too please.

Edited by Nightingale
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Nightingale said:

I just keep picturing this Battle of the two Mad Queens with Cersei screaming and burning everything and Dany screaming and burning everything while the brave men try to contain their hormonal crazy ladies. If all else fails, I trust it will be comical. 

This is one reason why I don't see it happening. But I also don't see this particular kind of sexism in the show. The MVPs in yesterdays episode with the possible exception of Theon were basically all women: Arya, Melisandre and Lyanna.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Nightingale said:

I just keep picturing this Battle of the two Mad Queens with Cersei screaming and burning everything and Dany screaming and burning everything while the brave men try to contain their hormonal crazy ladies. 

Everyone see what they want to see.

Just how some people see "SJW agenda" in Arya killing the NK. 

16 minutes ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

Jon and the Night King did have a dragon-fight yesterday.

Dance with Dragons is war between Targs. I'm not speaking about dragon fights. 

GRRM said there will be second Dance of Dragons and LF said that there will be War of the 3 Queens. So I think this is what we are getting now. Sansa-Dany-Cersei and then Jon vs Dany. 

1 minute ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

It was the first time because only Targs had Dragons. This time NK had a Dragon as well and we saw two Dragons fighting in the air.

But Dance of Dragons is not about dragons fighting. It is about Targs fighting for the throne.

2 minutes ago, nikma said:

But Dance of Dragons is not about dragons fighting. It is about Targs fighting for the throne.

I couldn't see that happening before, but if the leak is true, then Dany and Jon must begin their conflict in episode four.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Any bets on whether they try to explain why they don’t just send Faceless Woman Arya to kill Cersei and end this?

Probably because Tyrion and Jaime don't want Cersei dead considering she is pregnant with Jaime's child.

I am guessing we are going to have to sit through round two of Dany ready  to attack the Red Keep with her dragons and Tyrion cautioning against undue violence and more of his shitty plans that will fail. 

• Love 4
Just now, anamika said:

Probably because Tyrion and Jaime don't want Cersei dead considering she is pregnant with Jaime's child.

I am guessing we are going to have to sit through round two of Dany ready  to attack the Red Keep with her dragons and Tyrion cautioning against undue violence and more of his shitty plans that will fail. 

I could see why the Lannister brothers wouldn’t want that, but I also don’t see why Arya wouldn’t just do it anyway.  Instead of sending yet more soldiers to die needlessly.

But then, that’s the problem with how powerful the writers made Arya.  She’s a Faceless Man without any of the arbitrary rules GRRM had them abide by in order to prevent them from being too useful.

• Love 3

We know the actors who played the waif and Jaquen were in Seville and might have filmed so maybe that is what Cersei has planned for Dany. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

If the leak that Jon kills Dany is confirmed, I am not watching the episode. I will hold off until I am in a better space and I can take the heartbreak. I will take all the "I told you so"s because I will have had it coming.

It's a TV show. It's fake. I promise, the sun will rise the next day. I've hated what happened to some of my fave TV characters and shows, but I got over it. Hell, just this show has let me down enough to know I shouldn't expect much outside of the CGI and other effects.

• LOL 4
10 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Since all the leaks were fake, the rumored Dance of the Dragon must be fake also. It isn't going to happen. Episode 5 is probably the showdown with Cersei and season 6 is the epilogue.

Personally I would consider the fight between wight-Viserion and Drogon and Rhaegal to be a dance of dragons. I just have a hard time believing that Jon would fight Dany for the Iron Throne. He believes it’s hers and hasn’t wanted the title of King. He’s managed to pull the King card once when trying to convince Dany that he had to leave Dragonstone, but otherwise seems the reluctant leader. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

Any bets on whether they try to explain why they don’t just send Faceless Woman Arya to kill Cersei and end this?

I think Arya may plan to kill Cersei.

But speaking of Faceless assassins, I also think it’s possible that Cersei hires the Faceless Assassins to take out Daenerys. IIRC, there was a leak that Faye Marsay was in costume in Sevilla. Maybe Arya spots the assassin with the Waife’s face and knows that “she” is there to kill Dany or Jon or both, and Arya kills her.  

ETA: SimoneS beat me to it.

Edited by MarySNJ
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, MarySNJ said:

Personally I would consider the fight between wight-Viserion and Drogon and Rhaegal to be a dance of dragons. I just have a hard time believing that Jon would fight Dany for the Iron Throne. He believes it’s hers and hasn’t wanted the title of King. He’s managed to pull the King card once when trying to convince Dany that he had to leave Dragonstone, but otherwise seems the reluctant leader. 

Yeah, I don’t buy Jon fighting Dany for the throne. He was fine with giving up his Northern crown, there’s no reason he would suddenly turn into Stannis and insist he’s duty-bound to claim the Iron Throne. 

• Love 5

So with NK dead, Dany's dream of snowy Iron Throne could only mean a Snow / bastard is going to sit on it.  I am not saying Jon since he is not technically a Snow anymore.  So, Is it going to be Gendry sitting there at the end?  Or maybe, Cersei's baby?

Re: Jon possibly killing Dany.

Emilia Clarke said, that the very last scene she shot was a fake ending. Of course that doesn't proof anything. But it leaves the door open for the leaker being correct and Jon still not killing Dany, because the family member witnessed a fake scene.

Link: 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

It's a TV show. It's fake. I promise, the sun will rise the next day. I've hated what happened to some of my fave TV characters and shows, but I got over it. Hell, just this show has let me down enough to know I shouldn't expect much outside of the CGI and other effects.

So... I don't know if you noticed.....but some people get emotionally involved in stories, whether it be TV, movie, or novel.

So, my guess is that since Rhaegal is injured, Dany will ride Dragon away but Jon with stay with the army as they head south. Dany and Jon are clearly at an odds now, because now Dany thinks that Jon wants the throne, though we know he doesn't.  So Sam, whose hardcore camp Aegon Targ, might find this an ideal time to try to tell people that Jon is real the heir to the throne.  I really have a feeling that Sam will very publicly tell everyone Jon's secret, and that will be how Sansa and Arya find out. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

So with NK dead, Dany's dream of snowy Iron Throne could only mean a Snow / bastard is going to sit on it.  I am not saying Jon since he is not technically a Snow anymore.  So, Is it going to be Gendry sitting there at the end?  Or maybe, Cersei's baby?

Neither Gendry nor Cersei's baby are Snows, though. Snow is the name for the bastards in the North.

• Love 2
(edited)

With Arya killing the NK, there's no way that she kills Cersei as well, but she may very well try. I'm guessing that if there is a Cleganebowl, it has something to do with Sandor protecting Arya...although Sandor already had his big moment of overcoming his fear to protect Arya.

Just as 8x03 was a Winterfell-only episode, I wonder if 8x05 will be a KL-only episode. 

So, my guess is that since Rhaegal is injured, Dany will ride Dragon away but Jon with stay with the army as they head south. Dany and Jon are clearly at an odds now, because now Dany thinks that Jon wants the throne, though we know he doesn't.  So Sam, whose hardcore camp Aegon Targ, might find this an ideal time to try to tell people that Jon is real the heir to the throne.  I really have a feeling that Sam will very publicly tell everyone Jon's secret, and that will be how Sansa and Arya find out. 

I think someone on the show said that Sansa and Arya wouldn't have to wait very long to find out Jon's parentage, and since this show favours economical storytelling (to put it generously), I can easily imagine a scene where Sam tells everyone at once.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, LadyChaos said:

So... I don't know if you noticed.....but some people get emotionally involved in stories, whether it be TV, movie, or novel.

It would be sad if we were never emotionally moved by stories told in all forms. And thanks!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

Neither Gendry nor Cersei's baby are Snows, though. Snow is the name for the bastards in the North.

The snow on the throne could still represent Jon, if he chooses to keep the name snow, and denounce his Targaryen name, or just because its the name everyone knows him by.  It also could mean that the throne is destroyed, the room was in an obvious state of destruction.

2 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

With Arya killing the NK, there's no way that she kills Cersei as well, but she may very well try. I'm guessing that if there is a Cleganebowl, it has something to do with Sandor protecting Arya...although Sandor already had his big moment of overcoming his fear to protect Arya.

Just as 8x03 was a Winterfell-only episode, I wonder if 8x05 will be a KL-only episode. 

I LOVED that Arya killed the NK, I never expected it.  However it would be a bit much to have her kill Cersei too.  Which was the hope I had.  In the post credit talk, they said they knew for 3 years that Arya was going kill the NK and they felt that they couldn't give that kill to Jon, which IMO hints strongly that Jon will kill one or two characters yet that nearly as, or equally important.  Giving Jon all the kills, would have been over kill.

1 minute ago, SimoneS said:

It would be sad if we were never emotionally moved by stories told in all forms. And thanks!

As someone who is trying to get published, I hope to inspire half as much devotion in my work that GRRM does in his.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

This show has distracted me from the shitshow that my life has been for the past few years so I’m emotionally invested.  The thought that two characters I love may get shitty endings (and Jon killing Dany would be shitty as well for him) makes me a little weepy.  

I’ll still be hoping but after this ep, I just don’t know anything anymore.   

Edited by onyxrose81
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, onyxrose81 said:

This show has distracted me from the shitsho that my life has been for the past few years so I’m emotionally invested.  The thought that two characters I love may get shitty endings (and Jon killing Dany would be shitty as well for him) makes me a little weepy.  

I’ll still be hoping but after this ep, I just don’t know anything anymore.   

I feel you. In the past 3 years, I was diagnosed with a autoimmune disease, my daughter with diagnosed with Autism with aggressive tendencies, I lost my job, nearly had a breakdown, and was just told I might be developing 2 more AI disorders.......Im all about shit that distracts me from my life.

• Love 3

Wow, that Freefolk leaker posted how the NK would die four months ago. It's wild that something that was so totally ignored turned out to be true - I can't remember that post ever being discussed here.

Since the leaker's source only heard about Jon killing Dany from someone who was working for another unit and wasn't interested in character names, it's possible that he got the characters wrong or it was a fake scene like the ones the Hornwood actor said were filmed for Jaime. As much as I disliked Dany in 8x01-02, I don't think any of that seemed like setup for mad queen antics on a level that would make Jon suddenly decide to kill her in 8x06, especially now that no sacrifice is needed to defeat the NK. I can't dismiss it totally because the source was right about 8x03, but I won't believe it yet. But it just makes me feel down right now that it's becoming likelier that the ending will make me very unhappy with GOT.

• Love 4

I started reading these books in the late nineties during my uni days. I am just here to know how it ends for these characters I have known for some 20 years. The journey getting there on the show has been dissatisfactory for some time, but at least I will know how it all ends. Closure for ASoIaF. All those theories we were hashing out on Westeros.org and the arguments and debates and just knowing.

I wonder if Westeros.org will still have their book thread open at the end of the show and the R+L= J thread number 267 going on 🤣 I can't believe Jon is still dead in the books ffs!

19 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

In the post credit talk, they said they knew for 3 years that Arya was going kill the NK and they felt that they couldn't give that kill to Jon, which IMO hints strongly that Jon will kill one or two characters yet that nearly as, or equally important.  Giving Jon all the kills, would have been over kill.

I think Jaime gets to kill Cersei.

Jon has not got ANY kills so far. He just keeps floating through these plots as the other characters get the important end points. If the leaks are true, maybe the only big kill Jon gets in the entire series is Dany. Ugh.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, ElizaD said:

Wow, that Freefolk leaker posted how the NK would die four months ago. It's wild that something that was so totally ignored turned out to be true - I can't remember that post ever being discussed here.

Since the leaker's source only heard about Jon killing Dany from someone who was working for another unit and wasn't interested in character names, it's possible that he got the characters wrong or it was a fake scene like the ones the Hornwood actor said were filmed for Jaime. As much as I disliked Dany in 8x01-02, I don't think any of that seemed like setup for mad queen antics on a level that would make Jon suddenly decide to kill her in 8x06, especially now that no sacrifice is needed to defeat the NK. I can't dismiss it totally because the source was right about 8x03, but I won't believe it yet. But it just makes me feel down right now that it's becoming likelier that the ending will make me very unhappy with GOT.

I agree. The leaker is genuine, but the Jon/Dany spoiler is the least reliable one, as his source didn't watch this one personally and because Emilia Clarke said she shot a fake ending.

Though to be fair: Before Sunday I wouldn't have believed that the NK dies this way and especially so soon either. But given her storyline Arya doing something heroic in battle makes sense and was build up basically since season one. I don't think this is true für Jon killing Dany.

• Love 1

Meh. I dont think he’s gonna kill her. He couldn’t even kill Ygritte and she was slaughtering villages and was actively attacking the wall with a wildling army. He loved her anyway. Dany has literally fought beside him , saved his life numerous times and just helped saved the north along side his people and he’s gonna kill her for the throne?  Unless she actively decides to try and kill his family I doubt it. Unless Sansa and Tyrion plot against her and make him think she is , which would make them the villains and ruin Sansas character for even her fans if she sets up an innocent woman to be killed by her brother just for a power grab . Which I don’t see happening. 

I do see a struggle coming between Tyrion, Jaime and Dany though. In the previews Daenarys says “ we will destroy her root and stem”... and if she’s referring to Cersei, it may mean that she knows she’s pregnant and doesn’t care. Which may be considered villainous enough for some people to think she’s gone mad queen if she’s ruthless enough to kill Cersei anyway. That may cause Tyrion to switch sides.

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

Yeah, I've noticed. I've done it too. But I also have some perspective. In the end it's only a TV show. If I hate it, I may write a few annoyed paragraphs online or read some fanfic but that's about it. What else are you going to do?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Yeah, Tyrion is definitely in love with Sansa. That line about whoremongering no longer being an option was about her, not Dany. If we find out that Tyrion's been celibate this whole time because of Sansa, they are endgame for sure.

Nothing was said about their scenes on the Inside the Episode segment, and the cast discussion video only had Sophie and Peter talking about Tyrion and Sansa not being able to contribute anything and the crypt wights rather than anything about their relationship, so...watch this space, I guess. (Peter Dinklage did point out in the Game Revealed video that putting a bunch of women and children in the crypts when the NK can raise the dead was incredibly stupid.)

I said many months ago that TV Tyrion/Sansa was shippy as fuck and a number of you scoffed, so allow me to take my little victory lap now. That last desperate hand kiss was perfection.

Following WOTR at the end.

I still don't ship Sansa with anyone right now, she needs healing time.

IF... it's her choice I go with it. With the NK dead maybe Bran becomes somewhat normal and takes over Winterfell, Jon becomes a hermit or re-starts the Nights Watch,, as 1000 LC, Arya and Gendry ?

4 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I agree. Next episode will tell. I am not going to lie. I will be furious if this is true. After all Dany has done and sacrificed to have Jon kill her is so wrong. However, maybe this is what the antagonism between Sansa and Dany is building toward. Honestly, Jon kills both Cersei AND Dany?! Damn.

I don't know if it's antagonism, like disliking for no apparent reason. Book Sansa has shown to have some ability as she got older or escaping KL to feel or sense things, about people, maybe they are trying to bring that out in show.

I did feel we were getting DOD 2,3,etc. 0, though.

The emotional whiplash in S8 so far has been a real ride, even for this show. It's been a great roller coaster ride, but I can't be the only one who's looking forward to a little closure and peace of mind.

Just now, GrailKing said:

Following WOTR at the end.

I still don't ship Sansa with anyone right now, she needs healing time.

IF... it's her choice I go with it. With the NK dead maybe Bran becomes somewhat normal and takes over Winterfell, Jon becomes a hermit or re-starts the Nights Watch,, as 1000 LC, Arya and Gendry ?

Well, even assuming Dany's no longer an issue, the North is extremely important to Sansa and in a scenario where the other Lannisters are dead, Casterly Rock would be extremely important to Tyrion, so what are they going to do? Someone would have to give something up. There's also the issue of who will be running Winterfell if Sansa is unavailable. The only solution I can see is Bran deciding he wants to be Lord of Winterfell again so that Sansa can become Lady of Casterly Rock, which after all her Northern pride and isolationist sentiments this season would make very little sense.

44 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

I think someone on the show said that Sansa and Arya wouldn't have to wait very long to find out Jon's parentage, and since this show favours economical storytelling (to put it generously), I can easily imagine a scene where Sam tells everyone at once.

I think they have to find out next episode since the characters "should" be splitting up after this.  Dany's going south with her crew and there's no reason for every northerner to join her.  Sansa and Bran in particular don't have a reason to go unless Winterfell is uninhabitable (didn't seem that way), especially since there must always be a Stark in Winterfell and all that.  I'm not sure Jon would be OK with Arya going either but she'd likely ignore him regardless. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, John Potts said:

That would be a very Tywin-esque move to make, so maybe Tyrion will suggest it? Of course, the North will be in a worse financial situation (given the level of devastation) and (as Sansa pointed out), they can't support all of Danny's army from Winterfell's stores so it (should) make strategic sense to attack and live off Cersei's lands (yeah, sucks to be a peasant... again) than weaken your own side by depleting your resources. I also can't see D&D resisting the temptation of a final battle between Cersei & Team Starkgaryen.

Well, since Winterfell didn't burn down entirely as expected, the food stores are still there (unless the one building we saw the NK burn down did contain them) and Dany's armies are much less than they were, as well as the general population of the North. However, both dragons improbably survived, and since they eat a herd of cattle every day, which the survivors will have to feed with their stored grain instead of slaughtering them and eating them themselves - yes, there's probably still a time limit on how long they can stay at WF.

Still, the food situation would not require an immediate march south in the winter. I think there would be time for some politicking with the most obvious candidate for the next alliance - the one region untouched by war, with plenty of food - the Vale. So there will be parley with SR, and probably Sansa's hand will be required as the price for aid. Anticlimactic, really.

Damn, the more I think about it, the more annoyed I get at how the showrunners just brushed aside the whole threat from beyond the Wall so early. The whole theme of A Song of Ice and Fire was about selfish aristocrats victimizing each other and the entire population based on their essentially childish greed for possession of power ("A Game of Thrones") while truly serious threats are ignored - like the Others, which can stand for ANY looming disaster that powermongers choose to ignore in their squabbles.

Instead, the showrunners are basically telling us the selfish aristocrats - as personified by Cersei - are right. The squabbles ARE really the most important thing, so we're going to have some more of them and kill some more people for them till someone finally gets the throne. Bleh.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, nikma said:

George said there will be second Dance of Dragons in the books and it never made sense to me that it would be between fake Aegon and Dany.

I'm at a table of one here and not that anyone cares, but I don't think Aegon is fake at all. And for another, the very immediate threat is Euron. Victarion is in Meereen with the dragonbinding horn, so if he manages to bind the two dragons that are there to his will, then here's your dance. It doesn't have to be Targaryen vs Targaryen/Blackfyre, and the dance could happen in Meereen.

One thing for sure, Tyrion will be the only person alive who will have met Jon Snow, Aegon and Dany. And I think that's very significant.

11 hours ago, SeanC said:

Well, I guess in the strictest sense the Army of the Dead only made it to Winterfell, so everything south of Winterfell should be fine.

I have a feeling that the North will be parceled out to various wildlings and unsullied and any dothraki who are left. Not many of the great or small houses are standing anymore and the North is vast. If the threat of the Night King and the main war are basically over, the smallfolk and others can begin rebuilding and a new set of legacies can begin to take shape.  

• Love 1