Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

Well, now we know BoatsexBaby is a fraud. No GC attack, no big reveal of the WWs’ motives, and no climactic KL battle with the AOTD. And since there will be no wights in KL, Tyrion won’t be blowing up the city to save everyone from the AOTD, either, as Javi and Friki seemed to suggest.

It seems likely that Sansa stays behind at Winterfell (with Bran?) while everyone else heads south to deal with Cersei. This could explain Sophie’s limited filming time for S8, as well as (possibly) the mysterious scroll prop for S8. Sansa wouldn’t need to send or receive a letter if she’s with everyone else.

Very interested in this Sansa/Tyrion conversation. There’s another scene from late in the episode where Tyrion and Sansa are hiding from wights together as well. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Useful 1
53 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

Also, a reminder that Arya Stark is an OG5, she and Dany are the two original main female characters there. It seems logical that she gets to play a big role in the end game.

Pretty much yeah. Arya is the central female character in the books. The show reducing her to a second tier character has folks justifiably surprised at her taking out the NK.

Remember that in the original outline, Arya is actually more involved with the Others than Jon. She and Bran actually fight them. In the books, GRRM just took her on a detour to Braavos to get some fighting skills.  I am guessing she will be headed North in the next book and reconnect. The North story in the books is already Arya heavy even without the character there  - the whole fArya story and the North rallying around her. All Arya has to do is come back and reveal herself.

And I keep coming back to GRRM's inspiration series - Memory, sorrow and Thorn. In this, the Arya character Marya pretty much does the same thing: Kills the Storm King with her special magic arrow when he's distracted.

I like that Arya and her sneak attack is what takes him down if true.

Only surprised and disappointed that it happens so fast in episode 3. One episode to take down the central antagonist, after all this build up? And Cersei is the final antagonist? Ugh.

13 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Very interested in this Sansa/Tyrion conversation. There’s another scene from late in the episode where Tyrion and Sansa are hiding from wights together as well. 

Hmm. So if Dany was not a factor, looks like Sansa has no issue with Tyrion is what I am getting at from their conversation.

Maybe we are getting Sansa-Tyrion after all.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Not even going to get started on the whole Jon rides Drogon, because whatever. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. Clearly, the story is doing everything it can to make sure that Jon's claim to the Iron Throne is rubbed in Dany's face so she will step aside.  

4 minutes ago, anamika said:

Pretty much yeah. Arya is the central female character in the books. The show reducing her to a second tier character has folks justifiably surprised at her taking out the NK.

Remember that in the original outline, Arya is actually more involved with the Others than Jon. She and Bran actually fight them. In the books, GRRM just took her on a detour to Braavos to get some fighting skills.  I am guessing she will be headed North in the next book and reconnect. The North story in the books is already Arya heavy even without the character there  - the whole fArya story and the North rallying around her. All Arya has to do is come back and reveal herself.

And I keep coming back to GRRM's inspiration series - Memory, sorrow and Thorn. In this, the Arya character Marya pretty much does the same thing: Kills the Storm King with her special magic arrow.

I like that Arya and her sneak attack is what takes him down if true.

Only surprised and disappointed that it happens so fast in episode 3. One episode to take down the central antagonist, after all this build up? And Cersei is the final antagonist? Ugh.

Hmm. So if Dany was not a factor, looks like Sansa has no issue with Tyrion is what I am getting at from their conversation.

Maybe we are getting Sansa-Tyrion after all.

It kind of looks like Sansa and Tyrion are holding hands in one of the stills.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Well, now we know that almost all the "leaks" were bullshit. Where do we go from here?

I have absolutely NO idea how the rest of the season is going to go down.

There is a battle in KL, and there's a dragon there because it involves a ballista.

That's about it, LOL.

• Love 1

Well, then, I can think of some theorists elsewhere in fandom who ardently insisted there was more to the Night King than met the eye who must be confounded right now.

LOL, of course D&D reserved the final three episodes for Cersei.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Well, then, I can think of some theorists elsewhere in fandom who ardently insisted there was more to the Night King than met the eye who must be confounded right now.

LOL, of course D&D reserved the final three episodes for Cersei.

They freakin love Cersei.  I’m not too mad.  I thing its important that the Lannisters receive a satisfying ending for the audience...all three.  

The preview is all about Dany taking her throne. But I can’t help but feel like a lot of this will be about the Starks vs. Lannisters. Will Jaime and Tyrion return to Cersei?

Edited by dirtypop90
1 minute ago, SeanC said:

I didn't think he'd be disposed of in 8x03, until earlier this evening/night/morning, LOL.

I have to say it's pretty ballsy.

Is it certain that the non-accounted for characters survived? I was also 100% sure that Pod would die in WF considering how little Daniel Portman filmed, so I'm afraid more casualties will be discovered at the beginning of 8x04.

• Love 2

I have to admit I thought the NK would escape the WF battle, I really didn't think we would have only Cersei and Euron for the last 3 eps.  Although, I guess Dan and Jon's army is down to like 3 people and 1 dragon now (or did Rhaegal survive, I was unclear on that).

Also, I really don't know what to think re Tyrion and Sansa.  Their interactions seemed pretty shippy, even in the midst of Missandei giving Sansa an epic verbal smackdown lol.

• Love 5
Just now, Happy Harpy said:

Is it certain that the non-accounted for characters survived? I was also 100% sure that Pod would die in WF considering how little Daniel Portman filmed, so I'm afraid more casualties will be discovered at the beginning of 8x04.

Pod was against the wall with Jaime and Brienne when all the wights died, I thought.  He's fine.

That was actually quite light on casualties, all things considered.  Missandei and Grey Worm somehow both survived making retirement plans.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
Just now, bubble sparkly said:

I have to admit I thought the NK would escape the WF battle, I really didn't think we would have only Cersei and Euron for the last 3 eps.  Although, I guess Dan and Jon's army is down to like 3 people and 1 dragon now (or did Rhaegal survive, I was unclear on that).

Also, I really don't know what to think re Tyrion and Sansa.  Their interactions seemed pretty shippy, even in the midst of Missandei giving Sansa an epic verbal smackdown lol.

I mean...people said the same about Sansa/Theon. I really think Sophie just has chemistry with everyone, which adds to all of her scenes with men. I wouldn’t be surprised if she is somehow involved with the end of the Lannisters. She still has beef with Cersei too. I’m leaning towards her playing Tyrion in some way, which is why there’s been all this talk about how smart she is and clever Tyrion used to be.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

Rhaegal survived, he is in the episode 4 promo.

• Love 5

So Winterfell didn't burn. Will everyone take a breather to heal up and lick their wounds as well as tax Cersei's treasury by having her pay her mercenaries AND starve her citizens before resuming the war in the springtime when everyone's healed up and Cersei's running out of cash? Or would that be too sensible?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

So moving forward, it appears that only Bran, Dany and Sam know about Jon's paternity.  It also seems like the Northerners have come around to Dany given their cheering in the promo (unless they are cheering something else).  Do we think we will get Sam spilling the beans to anyone?  If the final battle with Cersei is 8x05 then it seems like any drama about Jon being the heir really needs to come to a head in 8x04 right?

13 minutes ago, Cosmosgravitation said:

Rhaegal survived, he is in the episode 4 promo.

I just want to say thanks for all your postings as I am a sporadic viewer but I am so thrilled that at least one of the dragons survived.  When he wrapped his wings around Daenerys when she was grieving over Jorah literally brought tears to my eyes.

Edited by Chloesmom
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

OMG Arya and Gendry kissing in the preview! 🎉

Arya and Gendry k-i-s-s-i-n-g in on the battlement!

6 minutes ago, screamin said:

So Winterfell didn't burn. Will everyone take a breather to heal up and lick their wounds as well as tax Cersei's treasury by having her pay her mercenaries AND starve her citizens before resuming the war in the springtime when everyone's healed up and Cersei's running out of cash? Or would that be too sensible?

But we saw the Winterfell set on fire! I wonder if they really were playing the people spying on them. You were right about people not escaping in the tunnels.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

So moving forward, it appears that only Bran, Dany and Sam know about Jon's paternity.  It also seems like the Northerners have come around to Dany given their cheering in the promo (unless they are cheering something else).  Do we think we will get Sam spilling the beans to anyone?  If the final battle with Cersei is 8x05 then it seems like any drama about Jon being the heir really needs to come to a head in 8x04 right?

After that mess, I wonder if Sam is still being an ass about Dany.

Sam is a little bitch, Baby Sam was less of a whinger in the battle lol!

Also, I can't believe that Jorah and Theon were the only significant people to die.  Edd, Beric and Lyanna barely get any screen time and their deaths don't really affect any of the main players.  So D&D still have a gaggle of people to deal with in e4.  I was actually looking forward to the ranks being thinned a little bit.

And seriously, we were all fooled about Pod dying.  I can't even remember where that leak came from!

Edited by bubble sparkly
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, bubble sparkly said:

And seriously, we were all fooled about Pod dying.  I can't even remember where that leak came from!

Daniel Portman was filming another movie during a good part of the filming for GoT, wasn't seen much in Belfast and wasn't in Seville. That's why it was so easy to be certain that Podrick died.

• Love 3

Wow so after this ep, I have no clue whether the rest of the season is going. All of the "leaks" are wrong. Now what? Nothing went how we thought. That fireplace was definitely dragonstone, but Winterfell didn't fall. I guess its possible Dany was like I did what I needed to do, I don't like the North lets regroup back home.

• Love 1

Interesting choice, to kill NK now and  to have Arya kill him. Benioff said they thought it would be boring if Jon killed him, so it seems this has nothing to do with GRRM.

Edited by nikma
  • Useful 1

I mean I agree it would be boring if Jon killed him,I always hoped they wouldn't make it come down to a sword fight.But then what was the point of all the Prince/Princess that was promised stuff,i still don't think Arya fits that.I guess it wasn't about literally killing the NK.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

It was based on the actor not filming a lot. It goes to show that we don't really know what the hell is going on. Ha. Good job, HBO!

• Love 3

So Winterfell still stands and the only casualties of this big existential threat they have been building up from the first episode over 7 seasons are some second tier characters - Jorah, Theon, Lyanna and Edd.

Meh.

Looks like D&D are more interested in the character interplays we are getting with Cersei, Dany, Tyrion, Jon , Sansa etc.

Did not some special effects guy say that there is lots of Ghost doing lots of stuff? I guess not.

FF seems to be really pissed about the Arya thing, lol.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 3

Who cares what Freefolk thinks. I love that Arya was the one to kill the Night King, I love the clip of her kissing Gendry. Fuck yes, Arya Stark, a girl is awesome.

Boy. Everyone sure looks clean and shiny in the next episode after they were all dirty and messy and bloody and injured.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Who cares what Freefolk thinks. I love that Arya was the one to kill the Night King, I love the clip of her kissing Gendry. Fuck yes, Arya Stark, a girl is awesome.

Boy. Everyone sure looks clean and shiny in the next episode after they were all dirty and messy and bloody and injured.

You know everyone is all broken and emotionally destroyed afterword.  I wonder how well its going to go down when Dany starts telling everyone that its time to march south to take the crown.

I'd bet money that Sam stands up and tells everyone that Jon is Aegon Targ after she announces going South.

Also, alot of people speculating that the NK aint really dead, and will come back through the Weirwood tree.

Edited by LadyChaos
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bubble sparkly said:

even in the midst of Missandei giving Sansa an epic verbal smackdown lol.

Deserved under the circumstances.  I wonder if Sansa will at least acknowledge that she was wrong about what the Big Picture really was and that neither Winterfell nor the North would be standing if Jon had not convinced Dany that there was an impending apocalypse, and if Dany had not the agreed to bring her people and dragons to fight it.

As for the "Warrior of Winterfell," maybe ST was really thinking about Arya? 😁

• Love 11
32 minutes ago, anamika said:

FF seems to be really pissed about the Arya thing, lol.

Now that is the cherry on top!

1 hour ago, bubble sparkly said:

Their interactions seemed pretty shippy, even in the midst of Missandei giving Sansa an epic verbal smackdown lol.

It was sweeeeet! I would have cheered if I wasn't so terrified that Missandei was about to be killed.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

You know everyone is all broken and emotionally destroyed afterword.  I wonder how well its going to go down when Dany starts telling everyone that its time to march south to take the crown.

I'd bet money that Sam stands up and tells everyone that Jon is Aegon Targ after she announces going South.

Well, they were cheering in the previews. And fuck Sam. He can go cry in the corner. After tonight, he has done enough damage for a lifetime.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Lemuria said:

Deserved under the circumstances.  I wonder if Sansa will at least acknowledge that she was wrong about what the Big Picture really was and that neither Winterfell nor the North would be standing if Jon had not convinced Dany that there was an impending apocalypse, and if Dany had not the agreed to bring her people and dragons to fight it.

As for the "Warrior of Winterfell," maybe ST was really thinking about Arya? 😁

But don't you know that Jon is a POS and ruins everything. He clearly was wrong and screwed up everything; and Dany and Sansa our Westeros' saviors? 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

Well, come on. They had time for a shower and a nap, it seems. Maybe a snack. Time to march on Cersei!

I still think the ending could be another dance of dragons, as in Jon vs. Dany. 

• Love 2
Just now, SimoneS said:

Well, the were cheering in the previews. And fuck Sam. He can go cry in the corner. After tonight, he has done enough damage for a lifetime.

Im not saying its right...but I can totally see him doing it.

Just now, Minneapple said:

Well, come on. They had time for a shower and a nap, it seems. Maybe a snack. Time to march on Cersei!

I still think the ending could be another dance of dragons, as in Jon vs. Dany. 

I think this will be 806, for sure.

• Useful 1

Since all the leaks were fake, the rumored Dance of the Dragon must be fake also. It isn't going to happen. Episode 5 is probably the showdown with Cersei and season 6 is the epilogue.

Honestly, after 8x03 I'd be more inclined to believe that Tyrion betrays Dany because he wants to clear the way for a reconciliation with Sansa.  If he truly does betray the Starks then right now the only thing I can see him doing is trying to have Jon killed to ensure Dany has no competition for the throne.  But even then....I'm just not feeling it.  He would be more likely to suggest a marriage to join their claims.

Also, I'm wondering if in 8x04 Dany and Jon will have a convo where he confirms that he doesn't want anything to do with the iron throne, with the implication being that if Dany takes the throne then she will end up alone because Jon "ain't about that life" or whatever.  So when push comes to shove Dany will choose Jon/family over the throne, which is more in line with her book inner monologues about just wanting a home/family.  So Jon will end up being her house with the red door etc.

ETA: If Dany wanted Jon dead she could have let him die in 8x03 instead of saving his ass with Drogon.  So to me, a dance with dragons makes no sense.  Jon has been clear he doesn't want the throne and will support Dany, and Dany has proven she won't kill Jon to ensure her path to the throne is clear.  What could possibly lead them to fight over the throne in the last few eps?

Edited by bubble sparkly
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

Also, I'm wondering if in 8x04 Dany and Jon will have a convo where he confirms that he doesn't want anything to do with the iron throne, with the implication being that if Dany takes the throne then she will end up alone because Jon "ain't about that life" or whatever.  So when push comes to shove Dany will choose Jon/family over the throne, which is more in line with her book inner monologues about just wanting a home/family.  So Jon will end up being her house with the red door etc.

I can't see this happening. Jon is the last male Targaryen heir and Dany doesn't believe that she can have children. I don't see her letting her family line end by agreeing to marry Jon. I still think she puts Jon onto the Iron Throne to restore their family. Maybe as she is about to leave with Missandei and Grey Worm, she discovers she is pregnant.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

Honestly, after 8x03 I'd be more inclined to believe that Tyrion betrays Dany because he wants to clear the way for a reconciliation with Sansa.  If he truly does betray the Starks then right now the only thing I can see him doing is trying to have Jon killed to ensure Dany has no competition for the throne.  But even then....I'm just not feeling it.  He would be more likely to suggest a marriage to join their claims.

Honestly, I'll be shocked if there even is a throne at the end. I'm gearing up for a 'Counsel of Seven'.

• Love 1

So I posted this in the Jon Snow thread a couple months ago:

I feel like Jon's been living on borrowed time since his resurrection; he'll make it through the battle with the Army of the Dead only to be struck down subsequently by some living person. Or he'll slip on some ice on the stairs at the Stark compound and take a lethal header (. . . and everyone'll be like "Oh, that's why it's called Winterfell!" after Bran has visions of 43 Stark ancestors dying the same way.)

I am now even more convinced Jon buys the farm in King's Landing. Ghost, too (if he survived the AOTD), trying to protect Jon. Please feel free to disabuse me of this notion.

Also? Dany's celebration with the surviving Northerners about how they're going to pluck Cersei out at the root has DOOOOOM written all over it. 

And finally, my older kid, my older sister, and I attended Game of Thrones Night at Citifield. It was fun and amusing (except for the Mets losing part, but we're used to that).

We made a poster. We got a bobblehead.

NoahBobble & Drogon.jpg

Edited by spaceghostess
to correct mistake re: actual, real-life humans
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I can't see this happening. Jon is the last male Targaryen heir and Dany doesn't believe that she can have children. I don't see her letting her family line end by agreeing to marry Jon. I still think she puts Jon onto the Iron Throne to restore their family. Maybe as she is about to leave with Missandei and Grey Worm, she discovers she is pregnant.

I could definitely see something like this playing out as well.  It would be funny if they go battle and beat Cersei then Dany tells Jon he's the new king, and he's just like "WTF"? The ep 4 promo seems to suggest Dany gives one of her rousing speeches at WF (she is as WF right?), but we know there has to be a D/J fireplace convo at Dragonstone at some point.  Maybe this convo happens even later than ep 4?

7 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

Honestly, I'll be shocked if there even is a throne at the end. I'm gearing up for a 'Counsel of Seven'.

I agree there is not going to be a throne.  It will probably be destroyed, but to me it would make the most thematic sense for Dany to be the one to destroy it in a "breaking the wheel" moment.  She is the one who has been fighting for the IT the longest, so her purposely destroying it would be more meaningful than anyone else destroying it.

• Love 2