Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Chapter Thirteen: The Sweet Hereafter

• Start Topic

Season finale!

Archie and Veronica continue to grow closer; Betty confronts her mother; Jughead finds himself in an unexpected situation; Hermione makes Fred an offer that seems too good to be true; Cheryl takes matters into her own hands.

At least this episode made me like Archie. More than I have ever in past episodes. 

I also adored the little scene with Veronica and Jughead and Cheryl. 

And the Bughead with them walking in the snow broke my heart.

Also I don't think I like Veronica's mom at all anymore. And she switched quite on a dime to get back with her husband. 

And I love Betty but maybe she should stay out of opening all of the pandora boxes. Just for like a day. But yeah alice having a baby in high school. Anyone surprised by that? 

Cheryl walking around giving away of her stuff. Like a gold beetle pendent or whatever the hell it was to Jughead. I knew she was planning to kill herself.  

And I kind of awes at a lot of things: Archie looking at Bughead and realizing he wants that but with Veronica made me aw so much. See show that's good! Again I found myself liking Archie a lot tonight. I could still do without the music thing though. But whatever. 

Betty's speech was good. I love that Jughead made sure to go in time for her speech and he was the first one to clap. I'm just such a shipper for those two I can't help it. That I love you scene was adorable.

and ugh. Why did Jughead take the jacket? That's not good.  My heart.

And then the last scene.. oh no! Not Fred!!!! So Mollys coming back.

How am I going to last until the fall?!!!

• Love 12

Fred was the only somewhat decent parent in town -- that's why he had to go!

Seeing as it "was anything but random", this is presumably going to be the mystery of whether Hiram tried to have Fred knocked off, I presume.

• Love 17
(edited)

What the ever-loving fuck??

I'm sorry. I know I have hardly posted in here, I mainly just lurk, but what just happened on the tv screen? If Papa Andrews is dead someone needs to pay.

Edit: I will go back to lurking, thank you for your patience... 

Edited by callie lee 29
  • Love 16

Betty is an insufferable asshole. She & Jughead's useless ass deserve each other.

So do Poor Little Rich Girl Veronica & Steroid Sucking Archie. They're also two self involved peas in a pod.

The subtlety of Cheryl's suicide attempt was ridiculous. She might as well have drawn them a map to Sweetwater River.

Everything to do with Josie & The Pussycats was extremely gross. The only gig WOC can get on CW shows are as Neo-Mammies. Never change CW.

• Love 2

And that, my friends, is how you end a season.

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't use the opportunity to give Archie some much-needed depth by ruining his hands when he broke Cheryl out of the ice badly enough that he couldn't play guitar any more, or at least leave it up in the air for a while. But then they go and shoot his father...

Holy crap! Is Fred dead? And who shot him? 'Cause you know that wasn't just a random 7 am robbery....

Jughead as a Serpent? I mean, I get why he might be tempted, but I hope he doesn't go down that path. For Betty's sake if nothing else.

• Love 11
Just now, callie lee 29 said:

What the ever-loving fuck??

I'm sorry. I know I have hardly posted in here, I mainly just lurk, but what just happened on the tv screen? If Papa Andrews is dead someone needs to pay.

Right? So much happened in this episode. And Fred was pretty meh on most of it, I really should have expected him to get shot. I thought his final big moment would be the tell off of to Hermione in the hall.

Way to let the teens all be happy for 2.5 seconds show.

• Love 1

Lot of groundwork laid for next season.

Archie appears to be a very good friend or is he.  I have know doubt he is genuinely concerned about Jughead but his sniffing around what could have been with Betty kind of adds a little grey to the whole thing.   Which is a shame as I really had become fond of the chemistry between Archie and Veronica but now.......Though he definitely gets hero points for the Cheryl rescue.  I had to look away when he was smashing his knuckles into the ice.  Eeesh.  

And because it bears reiteration, Archie's best chemistry is with Veronica so the writers should definitely tighten that up and make me root for them next season or at least make it less ambiguous.  Or bring on Reggie Mantle who while traditionally fond of Betty, always saw Veronica as his soulmate, at least in the comics (totally did my research when I was bored at work).

Though I have issues with the character and was glad Veronica caught onto his wandering eye, I couldn't blame her for riding that all night.  Boy's got body karate.   But there is no denying that it will LEVEL Veronica if she even THINKS she's taking second place to Betty Cooper.   And I'm kind of looking forward to that because the whole Archie and Friends kinda of made me want to puke.   Archie=Freddie, Veronica=Daphne, Betty=Velma, Jughead=Shaggy.

Interesting evolution presented for Hermione and Veronica.  I had seen the theory that maybe Hermione Lodge is the REAL villain in the Lodge Household and I'm beginning to wonder if that may in fact be the case.  Now that Hiram isn't in the lurch anymore and their fortunes are about to reverse course, it seems Hermione is gaining more confidence and with it more coldness with a smidge of machiavellian instincts.  It was clear she felt absolutely NO empathy for Cheryl and wants her spending as little time as possible in the Lodge household.

This is a woman whom we are led to believe use to more than hold her own with the likes of Penelope Blossom and Alice Cooper.  She's just like the other two with much better wrapping paper, which may make her a little more dangerous.  Urging Veronica to manipulate Archie with sex is a lot more subtle then the encouragement we've seen Alice and Penelope offer their respective daughters.  Whether it was Hermione or Hiram or a collaboration of the two, that arranged the trouble at Pops is something I look forward to discovering next season.

I see The Lodges working on Veronica (in terms of bringing out her villainess side) next year and Ronnie turning to the dark-side when Archie proves how unreliable he is.

There is NO way Josie's blue highlights should have worked but she looked absolutely GORGEOUS.

Nowhere near enough Kevin this evening.

As for Cheryl's last scene?  There are no words.  She's mad as a hatter.

• Love 7
(edited)

Did Veronica think she was talking to Jughead for a second - using words like wistful? Girl, now you know Archie doesn't know what wistful means. Every week I watch this show I continue to be amused that I am watching it. It is so equal parts corny yet entertaining. Glad to see those looks Archie was throwing Betty's way weren't about his sudden epiphany of having feelings for her.

Of course I don't know if K.J. is just that bad of an actor or it was meant to be so ambiguous because it kind of was. Funniest moment, well one of many, is Betty, Archie and Veronica running down to save Jughead from the danger of Southside High, only to find Jughead having a great ol' time with new people he met. And speaking of that scene, coupled with Betty's concern to her mom things will change and that not at all subtle ending, I assume next season is going to be Betty and Jughead both struggling with their dark sides? Interesting I guess. 

These kids are such kids. They throw around love and soulmate so easily, it's ridiculous. I do hope the writers keep the pairings as is or at least don't swap them even if they break up but this is the CW so I know it will happen. I don't see Jughead and Veronica ever happening but they are never going to resist playing around with Betty and Archie again at some point and therefore truly setting up the triangle, which of course sucks for Jughead. Thing is the writers do seem to love Cole and Jughead so that might play a factor in where they go with the storylines and characters. 

Unless Luke Perry has decided to leave the show, I'm going to assume Fred will be fine. It's funny that some were just speculating about Hermione being the evil in the Hiram/Hermione marriage and this episode really played up her Lady Macbeth ways, to quote Veronica. Cheryl continued to be as entertaining as ever. I'm curious to see where the writers go with her next season, now that the mystery of Jason's murder has been solved. Meanwhile, that mystery being over has only made Polly more insignificant, in my opinion. I am curious to see where the writers take her next season. And I guess we can all start speculating how soon the long lost Cooper brother will be introduced next season. 

eta: I cracked up when Betty and Jughead both assumed it was crazy Alice coming to collect Betty, when someone knocked on the door. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 11

Man oh man what a way to end the season. I read somewhere that Archie is gonna be in a dark place next season and Fred is one of two decent parents so I think he's a goner! Loved The Varchie and Bughead goodness In the episode. But of Course Bughead sexytimes after confessions of love has to be cockblocked by the Damn Serpents. Why did you take the Jacket Jug? Loved Cheryl burning the house down. Man KJ Camilla Cole and Lili are all so pretty LOL. So pumped for Season 2. I like the idea that Hiram is taking out Fred I'm so stoked for season 2 more thoughts later 

8 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Did Veronica think she was talking to Jughead for a second - using words like wistful? Girl, now you know Archie doesn't know what wistful means. Every week I watch this show I continue to be amused that I am watching it. It is so equal parts corny yet entertaining. Glad to see those looks Archie was throwing Betty's way weren't about his sudden epiphany of having feelings for her.

Of course I don't know if K.J. is just that bad of an actor or it was meant to be so ambiguous because it kind of was. Funniest moment, well one of many, is Betty, Archie and Veronica running down to save Jughead from the danger of Southside High, only to find Jughead having a great ol' time with new people he met. And speaking of that scene, coupled with Betty's concern to her mom things will change and that not at all subtle ending, next season is going to be Betty and Jughead both struggling with their dark sides? Interesting. 

These kids are such kids. They throw around love and soulmate so easily, it's ridiculous. I do hope the writers keep the pairings as is or at least don't swap them even if they break up but this is the CW so I know it will happen. I don't see Jughead and Veronica ever happening but they are never going to resist playing around with Betty and Archie again at some point and therefore truly setting up the triangle, which of course sucks for Jughead. Thing is the writers do seem to love Cole and Jughead so that might play a factor in where they go with the storylines and characters. 

So unless Luke Perry has decided to leave the show, I'm going to assume Fred will be fine. It's funny that some were just speculating about Hermione being the evil in the Hiram/Hermione marriage and this episode really played up her Lady Macbeth ways, to quote Veronica. Cheryl continued to be as entertaining as ever. I'm curious to see where the writers go with her next season, now that the mystery of Jason's murder has been solved. Meanwhile, that mystery being over has only made Polly more insignificant. I really am curious to see where the writers take her next season and I assume we can all start speculating that long lost Cooper brother will be introduced next season. 

eta: I cracked up when Betty and Jughead both assumed it was crazy Alice coming to collect Betty, when someone knocked on the door. 

LOL they thinking Alice was coming to get Betty made think back to earlier in the season when they started kissing and Alice Barges in and Betty looked so annoyed LOL. I was really expecting Betty to be like Dammit!! When the sexy times was being interuptted 

Anyone else think that the entire group should've fallen in the friggin' lake? I mean, they know the ice is thin, and they all scramble onto it, and even huddle in one spot, even though it's broken in two places, and is even cracking under their feet!

Stunned as a box of rocks, as my late mother would say....

• Love 16

OMG Fred!! I feel like he will make it though.

Also Archie was great in this episode but are we actually supposed to believe him when he told Verinica he wants what Jughead and Betty have with her? Because I feel like his looks DID say otherwise. But the show did go out of its way to point that out so idk.

I know it's more entertaining if Hermione turns out to be evil but I don't want her to be! I usually like her so this episode was rough in that regard.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

Anyone else think that the entire group should've fallen in the friggin' lake? I mean, they know the ice is thin, and they all scramble onto it, and even huddle in one spot, even though it's broken in two places, and is even cracking under their feet!

What's more ridiculous about it was that literally like a few seconds before, Jughead stopped them from all rushing forward and said the ice was too thin to hold their weight. Then next thing they're all running forward. 

• Love 19
10 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Of course I don't know if K.J. is just that bad of an actor or it was meant to be so ambiguous because it kind of was.

I think it absolutely was meant to be ambiguous.  We've been seeing Archie shoot troubled looks at Betty multiple times, and in this episode they're clearly teasing the possibility of jealousy, before revealing that that's not what it was.

Just now, The Crazed Spruce said:

Yeah, I was kind of chuckling at one of them saying they can't all run out, before they all do just that.  Granted, that ice seemed pretty thick (Cheryl had to hammer her way through, as did Archie).

Just now, Craphole Island said:

Also Archie was great in this episode but are we actually supposed to believe him when he told Verinica he wants what Jughead and Betty have with her? Because I feel like his looks DID say otherwise. But the show did go out of its way to point that out so idk.

I was wondering the same thing at first, but after the talk with Veronica there's no more looks at Betty or anything like that, and when we see Archie alone in the bathroom at the end, looking at himself in the mirror, I think it's meant to show somebody who is unambiguously content with the way things are (right before they go to shit).

This season leaves off in the middle of winter, which is an interesting place for a school-based show to end things.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I think it absolutely was meant to be ambiguous.  We've been seeing Archie shoot troubled looks at Betty multiple times, and in this episode they're clearly teasing the possibility of jealousy, before revealing that that's not what it was.

Yeah, I was kind of chuckling at one of them saying they can't all run out, before they all do just that.  Granted, that ice seemed pretty thick (Cheryl had to hammer her way through, as did Archie).

I was wondering the same thing at first, but after the talk with Veronica there's no more looks at Betty or anything like that, and when we see Archie alone in the bathroom at the end, looking at himself in the mirror, I think it's meant to show somebody who is unambiguously content with the way things are (right before they go to shit).

This season leaves off in the middle of winter, which is an interesting place for a school-based show to end things.

Yeah. I agree about them leaving it in the middle of winter. But it's a show that started mid season. With only 13 episodes. Dawson's Creek did this time and their second season just started in the middle where it was left off, with the same school year. Only difference being that it got a full season start and not just 13 episodes. It also helps to ride the show more time in high school to do this. OTH also had this format too. They would do two seasons for one school year.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

Nowhere near enough Kevin this evening.

Oh definitely!! I swear they'd better bump Casey Cott up from recurring to regular next season. Speaking of next season:

I'm really hoping they up Reggie to more than just a occasional cameo (and for pity's sake CW cast another Asian actor to replace Ross, just for continuity.)

As for tonight's finale:

I'm agreeing that Fred may be down but he'll recover.

Couldn't the Serpents have waited 15 minutes before they knocked? Juggie was finally going to score, damn it!! But that "I love you, Betty Cooper" was sooo sweet!!

So Betty has a older brother? Bet you serious money they cast Austin Butler in the role, he looks enough like Betty and Polly and he'd fit Ronnie's prediction of being a "blonde adonis" (not to mention he's been in quite a few CW shows lately)

• Love 2
(edited)

Well this is interesting. Maybe Jughead being tempted by the Serpents may not be as much of a deal breaker as the finale suggested. Putting behind spoiler bars just in case. 

What about Betty? You’ve been teasing Dark Betty this whole season. Will that grow in season 2?

Absolutely. I think a lot of season 1 was Betty trying to control or suppress her dark side or contain her dark side. A lot of season 2 is about her owning it and harnessing it. Without saying too much, the idea of Jughead joining the Serpents is very provocative. Even more of a Riverdale subversion would be the perfect girl-next-door joining the Serpents, so that’s something we’re going to play with as well!

The quote is from a post-season finale interview in Entertainment Weekly, with show creator/executive producer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

I really thought they might kill off Cheryl there when she went under the ice. The rescue was pretty cool, even if Cheryl was unrealistically fine soon after. Archie bleeding Cheryl's signature color into the ice was a great visual.

Comics Veronica would never let a wistful look from Archie toward Betty derail her game. Don't let Riverdale Veronica become second choice. That's not her.

They need to hire someone to fix the music. The original stuff is crap so far. The second season had better give the Pussycats more to do than be the occasional entertainment at town or school gatherings.

Betty's speech was more scolding than inspiring to me. Who wants to be talked down to by a high schooler?

I hope Fred's recovery period means more Riverdale boys working construction to pick up the slack. Perhaps Reggie Mantle can help out once he comes back from plastic surgery?

• Love 6
1 minute ago, NorthstarATL said:

The second season had better give the Pussycats more to do than be the occasional entertainment at town or school gatherings.

If the show gets a full season order, as was reported today by one source, I expect they'll have more time for the secondary characters (the relative lack of that kind of time was probably the main weakness of this season, after the Grundy plot in the first few episodes).

• Love 4
Just now, NorthstarATL said:

Betty's speech was more scolding than inspiring to me. Who wants to be talked down to by a high schooler?

One of those moments where the show veers into the really corny because no way some adult wouldn't have rushed in and dragged her crazy ass off the stage when she started in her ranting. 

4 minutes ago, madhacker said:

I'm really hoping they up Reggie to more than just a occasional cameo (and for pity's sake CW cast another Asian actor to replace Ross, just for continuity.)

I've seen comments online of rumored names and it does seem like they're looking for another Asian actor. 

5 minutes ago, madhacker said:

Couldn't the Serpents have waited 15 minutes before they knocked? Juggie was finally going to score, damn it!!

That was the worse part of that whole faux-Godfather scene. I was supposed to believe teenage Jughead who looked like he was going all in with his girlfriend would put that aside for some "ceremonial" handing over of a jacket? It would have been hilarious if he'd told them to come back in the morning. I think the Serpents would have understood.

And by the way so much for all those comments I've seen about how vanilla Betty and Jughead are and everything is so chaste between them. I wasn't surprised to see Veronica and Archie really go for it but definitely wasn't expecting that from Betty and Jughead. I think there was even some neck grab action by Jughead. And yes it will never not be weird that this is Cole Sprouse who I feel like I saw grow up. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, madhacker said:

Oh definitely!! I swear they'd better bump Casey Cott up from recurring to regular next season. Speaking of next season:

As for tonight's finale:

I'm agreeing that Fred may be down but he'll recover.

Couldn't the Serpents have waited 15 minutes before they knocked? Juggie was finally going to score, damn it!! But that "I love you, Betty Cooper" was sooo sweet!!

So Betty has a older brother? Bet you serious money they cast Austin Butler in the role, he looks enough like Betty and Polly and he'd fit Ronnie's prediction of being a "blonde adonis" (not to mention he's been in quite a few CW shows lately)

Good news for you! Casey Cott is a regular season and getting more screen time of Course. Agreed about The Serpents being cockblocks LOL. I wanted Bughead sexytimes!! But their professions of love had me cheering UGH I'm such a shipper LOL. I think Austin Butler is still busy with Shannara Chronicles which will be on Spike for their second season.

24 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well this is interesting. Maybe Jughead being tempted by the Serpents may not be as much of a deal breaker as the finale suggested. Putting behind spoiler bars just in case. 

Hide contents

What about Betty? You’ve been teasing Dark Betty this whole season. Will that grow in season 2?

Absolutely. I think a lot of season 1 was Betty trying to control or suppress her dark side or contain her dark side. A lot of season 2 is about her owning it and harnessing it. Without saying too much, the idea of Jughead joining the Serpents is very provocative. Even more of a Riverdale subversion would be the perfect girl-next-door joining the Serpents, so that’s something we’re going to play with as well!

The quote is from a post-season finale interview in Entertainment Weekly, with show creator/executive producer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

RAS said in another interview that this would be another test for Bughead in season 2 but Im digging the idea of Betty and Jughead both being Serpents 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

One of those moments where the show veers into the really corny because no way some adult wouldn't have rushed in and dragged her crazy ass off the stage when she started in her ranting. 

I've seen comments online of rumored names and it does seem like they're looking for another Asian actor. 

That was the worse part of that whole faux-Godfather scene. I was supposed to believe teenage Jughead who looked like he was going all in with his girlfriend would put that aside for some "ceremonial" handing over of a jacket? It would have been hilarious if he'd told them to come back in the morning. I think the Serpents would have understood.

And by the way so much for all those comments I've seen about how vanilla Betty and Jughead are and everything is so chaste between them. I wasn't surprised to see Veronica and Archie really go for it but definitely wasn't expecting that from Betty and Jughead. I think there was even some neck grab action by Jughead. And yes it will never not be weird that this is Cole Sprouse who I feel like I saw grow up. 

LOL I THINK Jughead was going to put it on then tell them to beat it he was with his girlfriend but Betty saw it! That's the only explanation i have for his face when Betty saw it LOL. Personally I would have told them that I was with my girl can it wait? Lili was looking VERY NICE lol

26 minutes ago, SeanC said:

If the show gets a full season order, as was reported today by one source, I expect they'll have more time for the secondary characters (the relative lack of that kind of time was probably the main weakness of this season, after the Grundy plot in the first few episodes).

Ashleigh Murray said In a interview that she's getting more to do next season. Her and Casey Cott both have said the same thing 

• Love 1

F.P. would have no reason to know this, of course, but I still laughed when he told Jughead that he'd need to be there for his mother in the future, i.e., the mother who rejected him in the previous episode.

56 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah. I agree about them leaving it in the middle of winter. But it's a show that started mid season. With only 13 episodes. Dawson's Creek did this time and their second season just started in the middle where it was left off, with the same school year. Only difference being that it got a full season start and not just 13 episodes. It also helps to ride the show more time in high school to do this. OTH also had this format too. They would do two seasons for one school year.

I feel like such a nerd for knowing this, but Dawson's Creek's first season was 13 episodes that aired in the spring of 1998. The second season picked up right where things left off, with Dawson and Pacey getting haircuts (to explain their different looks as significant time had passed between production) as they discussed Dawson's kiss with Joey. The second season then followed the rest of their sophomore year, while seasons 3 and 4 corresponded with junior and senior years, respectively.

I think they're going to go for something similar here. Which is alright. As long as they don't drag it out like Pretty Little Liars did, which started them as juniors and took like 6 years for them to finally get out of high school.

I wonder if former Luke Perry fangirls felt a little twinge just then that they couldn't explain.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I feel like such a nerd for knowing this, but Dawson's Creek's first season was 13 episodes that aired in the spring of 1998. The second season picked up right where things left off, with Dawson and Pacey getting haircuts (to explain their different looks as significant time had passed between production) as they discussed Dawson's kiss with Joey. The second season then followed the rest of their sophomore year, while seasons 3 and 4 corresponded with junior and senior years, respectively.

I think they're going to go for something similar here. Which is alright. As long as they don't drag it out like Pretty Little Liars did, which started them as juniors and took like 6 years for them to finally get out of high school.

I wonder if former Luke Perry fangirls felt a little twinge just then that they couldn't explain.

That's what I meant in my post but I wasn't clear about the first season of DC only being 13 episodes and the second season picking up right after but the second season having a full season. I know I wasn't clear on that and yes I agree, I hope a PLL thing doesn't happen. The second season should just be an extension of this school year. And then the rest of the seasons can follow a regular format or like I said they can a OTH and just combine two seasons as one school year, because they want to keep them In high school. But yes your post is what I was trying to say(I'm a nerd to because I remember how many episodes and how D.C. Was a mid season show)

Edited by WhosThatGirl
(edited)

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAH?! Please don't kill off Fred!

Archie punching through the ice to save Cheryl until his hands were bloody was his best moment on the show. KJ Apa was great.

"Relax Kevin, this isn't 'The Wire'."

"Save the cheerleader, save the town." As someone who watched Heroes it's first two seasons I appreciated this.

I was like "Damn, are they really crosscutting Archie/Veronica with Betty/Jughead  sex scenes! Wow! My 9 year old self's head is exploding." Well if they're not going to make Jughead asexual I'm glad they're going all in on making him sexual!

Too bad the Southside Serpents cockblocked him but once he put that jacket on I thought Cole Sprouse actually did look like Skeet Ulrich!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7

Cheryl was absolutely the best part of the episode to me.  Giving her brooch to Jughead so he could pawn it for burgers and 'S' t-shirts?  Pure awesome.

Then she turns around and sets her damn house of fire.  Cheryl is this generation's Kimberly Shaw, and I couldn't get enough of Melrose Place back in the 90's so I'm looking forward to see where they're taking her character in S2. 

• Love 10

Overall, I liked this episode.  The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way is Betty.  She was too self righteous for me.  

I loved Cheryl and her crazy ways.    I like Veronica and Cheryl as friends.  I think their parents should watch out if those two team up.  

I love the cover girl placement.

• Love 4

Cheryl is psycho awesome, look forward to her next season.  Noooooo Dyl...uh, Fred.  He can't be dead, right?  Isn't he coming back next year?  I'm sure we'll find out next season that Mayor Givens and others are the real heroin distributors in town, and just want to scapegoat the Serpents to cover their tracks.  She orchestrates things just a little bit too much with all the phony PR.  Riverdale can't be that small a town if it has two high schools.  Betty and Veronica really sexed it up this episode.  Well I guess I'll be back next year, definitely a guilty pleasure.

• Love 4

I was not expecting the finale to be like that.  Well played.

I guess i'm the UO here but i was so THANKFUL the Serpents arrived when they did.  Archie and Veronica having sex i can take.  Jughead going there just seemed way too wrong.  Hail to the cockblockers!  (With Hot Dog too!)

Cover Girl has gotten more screentime than Josie & the Pussycats this season.

This is just super insulting:  Not only did Melody not have any lines (again) but did anyone else notice during the shots of Veronica, Josie, and Melody sharing a mike that Melody didn't even appear to be SINGING?  Her lips did not move.  She was just swaying in place.  Seriously, what did the actress do to someone powerful that got them so pissed off at her that they subject her to such humiliation?

• Love 8
3 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

I really thought they might kill off Cheryl there when she went under the ice. The rescue was pretty cool, even if Cheryl was unrealistically fine soon after. Archie bleeding Cheryl's signature color into the ice was a great visual.

That wasn't the only unrealistic thing. After she went under the ice she was taken by the current but then she stayed in the same place while Archie was beating a hole in the ice. She should no longer have been there after Archie finished the hole.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Anyone else waiting for Archie to be the one shot and for Luke Perry to channel the "Ohhhhhh nOOOOOOO Oh MY GODDDDDDDDD" from when Toni Marchette was shot? No? Just me? Bueller?

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

That wasn't the only unrealistic thing. After she went under the ice she was taken by the current but then she stayed in the same place while Archie was beating a hole in the ice. She should no longer have been there after Archie finished the hole.

I kept thinking of the ice scene from The Omen.  And yeah, she would have been twenty yards away by the time he smashed through.  They could have at least made it realistic by having her jam up on a boulder or something.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

At least this episode made me like Archie. More than I have ever in past episodes. 

I also adored the little scene with Veronica and Jughead and Cheryl. 

And the Bughead with them walking in the snow broke my heart.

Also I don't think I like Veronica's mom at all anymore. And she switched quite on a dime to get back with her husband. 

And I love Betty but maybe she should stay out of opening all of the pandora boxes. Just for like a day. But yeah alice having a baby in high school. Anyone surprised by that? 

Cheryl walking around giving away of her stuff. Like a gold beetle pendent or whatever the hell it was to Jughead. I knew she was planning to kill herself.  

And I kind of awes at a lot of things: Archie looking at Bughead and realizing he wants that but with Veronica made me aw so much. See show that's good! Again I found myself liking Archie a lot tonight. I could still do without the music thing though. But whatever. 

Betty's speech was good. I love that Jughead made sure to go in time for her speech and he was the first one to clap. I'm just such a shipper for those two I can't help it. That I love you scene was adorable.

and ugh. Why did Jughead take the jacket? That's not good.  My heart.

And then the last scene.. oh no! Not Fred!!!! So Mollys coming back.

How am I going to last until the fall?!!!

I don't think it will be back until January 

Damn, the episode was entertaining.
I am amused how many people have forgotten how much teenagers love to position themselves as knowing and with these strict and absolute opinions. Betty and her speech were perfectly fine and acceptable and very much in character.

The scene in which Jug puts the jacket and looks both smug, sure and confident and the next scene in which he looks lost and confused when Betty said his name were really, really well done.

OK, the original content put forward by Archie IS really weak.

Hermione's change of heart was all of a sudden but if she feared the attempted (successful?) murder, then she was trying to help and the whole thing of her being an ass is an act? I can't tell at the moment.

The look from Archie to Betty was peculiar. The explanation even more so. Still, we shall see, no?

Cheryl is awesome but yes, I had the same issue with her being in the same place.

• Love 7

I hope they don't kill of Luke Perry mainly because i can't see Molly Rongwald signing permanently and I hate when teenage kids on shows are living alone and acting like 30 year olds by junior high ie One Tree Hill, 90210.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I hope they don't kill of Luke Perry mainly because i can't see Molly Rongwald signing permanently and I hate when teenage kids on shows are living alone and acting like 30 year olds by junior high ie One Tree Hill, 90210.

This. Almost all the teens on OTH were living on their own by the time they were 16. So I hope that doesn't happen either. Unless Luke wanted to leave, which I haven't heard any rumblings about, I see him being wounded or coma bound. And obviously the shooter is someone we are going to meet in the future, Betty's brother maybe or a hit sent by Papa lodge therefore creating tension for Veronica and Archie.

• Love 1
(edited)
53 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Nooo! ;(

Actually i think I am wrong...i just read that they got a FULL episode order. Meaning 22. Meaning very possibly returning in September. They are supposed to start shooting june 22. Which is in a month. Which is CRAZY SOON. 

Edited by imakicola
  • Love 8
(edited)
5 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Archie punching through the ice to save Cheryl until his hands were bloody was his best moment on the show. KJ Apa was great.

I was like "Damn, are they really crosscutting Archie/Veronica with Betty/Jughead  sex scenes! Wow! My 9 year old self's head is exploding." Well if they're not going to make Jughead asexual I'm glad they're going all in on making him sexual!

Too bad the Southside Serpents cockblocked him but once he put that jacket on I thought Cole Sprouse actually did look like Skeet Ulrich!

That scene with Archie punching the ice was actually hard to watch. The blood and the drama. If I'm being honest, I looked like a total noob during that entire Cheryl rescue scene. I had my hand over my mouth and my eyes were wide the entire time. KJ Apa was really great in that scene though. everyone was! That was ridiculously intense. I adore how Archie saved Cheryl, but I wish there had been more follow up to her suicide attempt. It was so devastating, and I hope Cheryl gets some happiness next season. Maybe the foster family who adopted Jughead can adopt her too? I'd love to see some snarky Cheryl/Jughead scenes.

The Jughead/FP prison scene legitimate made me cry. So well acted. I've been saying it pretty much every episode, but Cole Sprouse is absolutely killing it as Jughead. And I've also been saying this pretty much every episode, but please, please let Skeet Ulrich become a series regular next season. I also liked the Archie/FP prison scene.

Hermoine did a complete 180, didn't she? Good LORD. She was giving off vibes as sinister and creepy as those of the Blossoms in this episode. I don't know if it's a front, and she's acting this way to protect Veronica/Fred/whoever else, but her coldness towards Cheryl was very off-putting. Pretty much every Hermoine scene this episode was off-putting. She and Penelope rival each other for worst person in Riverdale right now. And it's kind of great how Alice went from awful mother to probably the best on the show. She is absolutely flawed, but she actually cares about and supports her daughters.

Fred CANNOT be dead, right? RIGHT? No dead Fred! He is the best parent in Riverdale, and a character that I have grown to become very fond of. I hope that's he's just injured...but not too gravely. Just enough for the drama and to move the storyline along. 

I really liked the opening scene where it went back and forth between Jughead and Alice narrating/writing/drinking coffee. It was a really cool sort of juxtaposition . - I liked the quick Veronica/Jughead cafeteria scene that we got, where they talked about they were dating each other's best friends/their criminal fathers. And Cheryl apologizing, and funding his "burgers and S t-shirts for decades" was also great.

I straight up fan-girled during those final Jughead/Betty scenes. They told each other that they love each other. (I kind of wish that Betty had said it first, but that's very nitpicky of me, and I apologize to you all.) And that makeout scene after?!?!?!?! *fans self forever* DAMN. Crazy hot. And I must admit it was also quite hot when Jughead put on that Serpents jacket. Also, HOT DOG!!!!!!! Seeing that adorable mutt made my heart so very, very happy...

This finale was crazy, and kind of batshit, but I loved it. So much happened, and it set so much up for next season. Please, NO Archie/Betty next season. I feel there was some Archie jealousy this episode, but also he seems very crazy about Veronica. And I think Betty will continue to stand by Jughead, regardless of whether he gets too deep into the Serpent life or not. We've gotten indication that Alice may have been previously involved with the Serpents, so Betty could easily follow suit. And her and Jughead are too great together to ruin it. 

So in summation, I love Cole Sprouse and he has impressed me greatly with his acting in his show, Fred better not be dead, Betty/Jughead are fantastic, Hermoine be cray, poor Cheryl, and HOT DOG.

Edited by AdorkableSars
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I hate when teenage kids on shows are living alone and acting like 30 year olds

With all due respect, they already look like 30 year olds

I haven't followed an hour-long scripted series since Buffy until this one. And I can't wait till season 2. Every time I think it can't get more insane and nonsensical, they up the ante. I hated her to begin with but Cheryl has become my favorite part of the show. I don't know how much is the writers/directors and how much is the actress, but no other character embraces the utter craziness of everything in the show! I just hope she doesn't get overused.

• Love 4