Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E06: Week 6: Boy Bands vs. Girl Groups Night

• Start Topic

So, the Backstreet Boys were my boy band when I was younger (BSB over NSYNC any day!) so I'm biased with my excitment over Nick Carter.

Simone and Sasha- So, I wasn't a fan of her dance. She paused a couple of times during her solo before Sasha came out. It also didn't seem sexy, like Sasha was trying in the package. Maybe Simone couldn't make sexy work so he altered it. She's very technical in her dance, but that's about it. It's a shame. Maybe I'm just noticing it all now, but I'm not as impressed with her dancing. I did get a silly smile over Simone and Rashad's hug. I was surprised at Nick being the only 8, but I actually agree with his score more than the other 9s. 

Bonner and Sharna- Oh I just connected Sharna and doing a BSB song. I remember enjoying Nick/Sharna's dances when I started watching the Youtube videos, so tonight just gave a poor comparison between Bonner and Nick with Sharna. It's a real shame they danced to one of my favourite songs of all time. The dance was...well....marginally better than the singing. As for it being a rumba....was it? Rumba experts? Maybe I'm having a critical night here, but also was not impressed by this dance. I did enjoy Nick's note. Again, not knowing how other celebrity judges are, I can only judge on Nick's judging and I think he's doing alright so far. I was fine with the scores. 

Nancy and Artem- I was worried with their package, but I liked their dance and Nancy pulled it out. Paso Doble is a dance that I'm always surprised at how much I enjoy watching. The beginning of their dance was a little rough, but Nancy got more comfortable as it went on. I didn't love it, though. Again, maybe just a critical night for me. I agreed with the scores. I think Simone's should have also been the same. 

Nick and Peta- Oh, Nick! I have a bad feeling about tonight's elimination and it doesn't go your way! So I did soften up for his dance. With him possibly getting eliminated and him dancing to the Beach Boys, it did affect my critique of his dance a little bit. I did note that they slowed down the tempo of the dance, probably to match Nick's ability. I honestly think that he nearly nailed it, and he looked like he was having a lot of fun. I watched his feet and he didn't miss one step. Probably my favourite or second favourite dance of the night. If this is the night he goes, what a way to go out. I don't know how David got all praises last week and Nick got "eh, nice try" this week. Screw you, judges. I thought it was deserving of all 9s or at least most 9s. He did NOT do worse than BONNER this week. Gawd. But maybe with the low scores, it means that he's staying another week and Bonner's going? 

Normani and Val- I'm waiting for the week where there's no extra components to her dance, like props, or the other dancers. As for the dance, it was good. The lift was sloppy, though, and that breakdown moment...was that salsa? It seemed more like hip hop. I think the dance needed a little more...something. A little more salsa? Damn, though, if only Val was partnered with Heather. She would have gotten stuff more in her range, then! I did not agree with the three 10s overall. I'd say three 9s would have been better and I agree with Len's 8. I wonder if she really IS in danger in terms of the fans voting, and that's why they are scoring her 10s. They just want to guarantee her spot in the finals. 

David and Linsday- So, they get an Argentine Tango. I wasn't loving it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. A lot of sloppy work from what I noticed, but I guess David isn't able to do all those lifts like a younger guy can. He tried, but I just didn't feel the dance. They really love David, though, because of all the extra bits with him. I agree with the scores, but damn, Nick STILL did worse. 

Rashad and Emma- Oh, I DO know this song! I do wonder if they could have slowed the song down a bit because I felt like this dance was good, but a tad too fast for me. I did think it was good, though, and I very much enjoyed it. A lot better than their dance last week. I agree with the scores. 

Heather and Maks- ALAN! We got a taste of Alan still before the commercials! I got giddy just seeing him, and then sad when I realized that's all I would get. I did enjoy the sass Heather gave to Maks in the package. She doesn't seem that impressed with him. However, the dance? This is what I wanted to see from Heather. And this is why they ended on her and Maks. But poor Alan who got water splashed in his face. I think Maks gave Heather something wonderful to show off her skills....WAY better than last week, as well. I LOVE that they got all 10s. YES! Heather beat Normani on a perfect score! Not that it guarantees her anything, but she deserved it this week. It'll boost her confidence up, I think. 

Wait....goddamnit. One of the girls are going home? What? Uh, no. NOT NANCY. It's gonna be Nancy or Heather. I'm hoping it's Simone. Yep, that put a damper on things. 

Now for the team dances.

Team Boy Band- I think I'm bitter that they're all safe. I just wanted NICK for sure safe. Not David and Bonner too! Man, Bonner's injury is affecting his ability to impress me here. He's also slow on the timing. Nick and Rashad were good. Bonner and David? They tried? I laughed at the separate cut of Rashad and Nick dancing, though. Don't these team dances usually have a separate section for each team to dance a little solo? I guess the boys dancing solo as a team was a twist, but....eh. 

Team Girl Group- I am so sad that one of them is leaving. I am so worried for Nancy and Heather. I'd be surprised if it's Simone or Normani. Right now, I'm predicting it's Heather and that's the reason for the perfect score tonight. Anyway, to the dance! The dance was great, to no surprise. The lighting sucked for the second song, though. Damn, let us see them properly! They lost control of the lighting! So much more dance from this group! Forever bitter by the elimination tonight being one of the ladies. I can see why the dance wasn't entertaining to the judges. 

And...of course it comes down to Nancy and Heather, which pisses me off. And it's Heather/Maks. Well, Maks HAD to ruin the Disney dance, so it's all on him. 

• Love 5
Just now, blaase said:

Well of course Heather is the shock boot, that wasn't predictable at all.

Yeah, it was pretty clear when she got a 40 that she was going to be in trouble.

• Love 3

Thanks Heather for the great rumba and for the surprise boot! 

Considering the status of the free your mind Paso, Nancy did pretty well.  The cage stuff did go too long but there was a certain fierceness that came out. 

For guest judges Nick was above average. At least better than Pitbull and Red Foo.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, McManda said:

Yeah, it was pretty clear when she got a 40 that she was going to be in trouble.

I wonder if it was really that jazz that did her in or just the constant reminders that she is a professional dancer.

• Love 5

Oh boy that's a nail biter.  I actually couldn't watch, I just followed the on line chatter on twitter.  After Nancy got railed for a Paso that was better than Bonner's 8  I was pissed for the lowball.   I hope they keep her around.  

• Love 3

Well that was a pleasant surprise!  Let the pro contestant go dance somewhere else.

I liked the guys group dance better than the ladies.  I hate that they gave the ladies a higher score.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I wonder if it was really that jazz that did her in or just the constant reminders that she is a professional dancer.

Probably both, but the jazz routine that Maks choreographed did NOT help in any way. I knew she wouldn't have the fanbase to get to the finals, which is why she needed the judges' scores.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Well that was some fresh fucking bullshit. I knew heather wasn't making it to the end and Maks' choreography last week didn't serve her but for her to go home while David, Bonner and Nick are all still there is so disappointing. 

All I can say is yeah, it is bs, but  She's too good for the competition.  

• Love 3

And, I don't know if that was a real bottom two or just drama, but I'm worried for Nancy next week. That Paso was messy in sections, comparable to a very popular Paso and the group dance didn't actually help her in the scores. Add to it the package and the constant focus on her negativity and I'm worried. Hopefully being in danger will motivate some voters because if we lose another good dancer before those three blocks of wood go home, I'll be crushed. 

• Love 7

Not surprised the show did exactly what everyone knew it was going to do from the start. She had "surprise" elimination written all over her, and they really telegraphed it all in the past few weeks.

I'm sure Heather knew what she was in for when she signed up, but it's still a shame the show did her so little favors. I'm just disappointed how the obvious narrative will probably follow her for a bit.

Final three is obviously Normani, Simone and Rashad, so there's hardly any suspense left until the end.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, smiley13 said:

Well that was a pleasant surprise!  Let the pro contestant go dance somewhere else.

For me, I'd rather a pro contestant than a stiff contestant. Watching Bonner dance is not entertaining and I feel like I'm wasting eight minutes of the show watching him. I know, different opinions and all that. I understand the upset about Heather, but I am here to see people dance. 

• Love 24
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

Probably both, but the jazz routine that Maks choreographed did NOT help in any way. I knew she wouldn't have the fanbase to get to the finals, which is why she needed the judges' scores.

Yes and no.  If she got the choreography last week  that showcases her talent there's no way the judges could lowball her.  That pissed me off.  Don't hide dance talent. Let the audience decide if her best makes her too much of a ringer to vote for, or if she entertains and stays. But this is all scripted.  I think Maks checked out early and the injury just made it that much easier to bow out and let his brother move forward in the competition.  The Chmerkovskiy die hard vote does not have to be split.  Sucks for Heather, but she definitely had some sort of clue  what was going on last week when it happened. 

• Love 6

The band was horrendous. I mean, I crack on the band all the time. The husband calls them The Worst Band on TV. They're wretched. They were even worse tonight. I didn't think that was possible. I don't remember Nick's dance, all I can remember is Mr. Callaphera bitching about how they slaughtered (not in the good way) that Beach Boys song. I don't know if he was so offended because it's his favourite band of all time or if because it was just really, really bad. To be fair, I bitched all the way through Simone's dance because of how bad that rendition of Survivor was, and I'm not even a big Destiny's Child fan but damn. Fire the band! I'd rather it just be some dude sitting next to a stereo, inserting and removing CDs before pressing play.

And we got another Nancy anxiety package. Thanks Nancy/producers (they choose to show it but she chooses to do this every week, so equal blame). At least there weren't tears this time? I did laugh at her blaming the boots. I know it probably had an influence on the dance but it seemed a little, "Don't blame me that it wasn't perfect, it wasn't my fault!" excuse-y, especially paired with the stank face she had on after the judge comments but before the actual scoring.

Carrie Ann is clearly the judge I'm hating on this season. Calling Simone's dance sexy when she had that fake gymnastics smile plastered on her face throughout the entire thing? The cut to her grooving during the men's team dance? Uh, no. No no no. 

I'm normally not a fan of celebrity/former contestant judges but Nick Carter wasn't horrible. He didn't try to talk about shit he didn't know, his scores seemed like an average person at home scoring. He didn't bug. Still an NSYNC girl, though.

Heather never had the fan base to make it that far. She was always going to be the "surprise" boot. Sad to see her go. Would it be too much to ask that her and Maks do a freestyle at the finale even though they're no longer in the competition? Because she would kill that.

• Love 8

Is it me or was nick carter extra phony sounding when he was judging ? There was just something really weird about the way he was speaking lol 

I agreed with Carrie Anne for once . I was also underwhelmed by the girls dancing because all of them are so good but honestly I think the choreography or lack there of was the root of it being bad . 

• Love 8

This no elimination show format is truly terrible. People that are new to the show don't understand how she got a perfect score then got eliminated. Those that have watched forever understand it's from last week but most don't.

This show is also long overdue for a "judge's save."

I feel bad for Heather, she didn't deserve to go before Bonner, Nick and David. This entire episode reeked of sexism on multiple levels and it's left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Love 21

I legitimately do not understand how the heck all the guys were safe. Bonner is terrible and has zero personality.  Nick is not great though he at least has a personality. Same with David. Rashad had a chance as a contender, but holy moly what a load of crap at the Heather boot. I should have seen it coming with the perfect score (I thought her dance was amazing). 

I still feel like Simone gives off that immature fake vibe in her dancing and I just can't seem to warm to her. I though Normani was fantastic. So I guess now I'm rooting for Normani and Rashad. 

• Love 10
Just now, Callaphera said:

The band was horrendous. I mean, I crack on the band all the time. The husband calls them The Worst Band on TV. They're wretched. They were even worse tonight. I didn't think that was possible. I don't remember Nick's dance, all I can remember is Mr. Callaphera bitching about how they slaughtered (not in the good way) that Beach Boys song. I don't know if he was so offended because it's his favourite band of all time or if because it was just really, really bad. To be fair, I bitched all the way through Simone's dance because of how bad that rendition of Survivor was, and I'm not even a big Destiny's Child fan but damn. Fire the band! I'd rather it just be some dude sitting next to a stereo, inserting and removing CDs before pressing play.

Oh man, I agree. Usually, I ignore the band and focus on the dance, but the singing was truly bad. I was the exact same way as you and Survivor with I Want It That Way. That high pitched shrieking to hit the high note made me wish the camera cut to Nick for a split second to see the horror on his face. You don't butcher a BSB song with a BSB member as a judge! And yeah, the band butchered the Beach Boys song, even as I watched the dance. I think it didn't help that they slowed the song down TOO much. 

1 minute ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Is it me or was nick carter extra phony sounding when he was judging ? There was just something really weird about the way he was speaking lol 

Not as phony as Julianne sometimes gets, which I noticed. I think because he doesn't have the dance background to judge the dancing, he had to say SOMETHING about the celebs so a lot of it did feel forced, like he had no idea what else to say that would be constructive.

• Love 3

When Bonner was so WAY over scored for that non rumba - zero hip action ( can't believe no judge mentioned the total lack of ) I thought it was because he was leaving and I'm sorry he didn't !

Loved Heather's rumba!

Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • Love 7

Oh gosh! Who thinks up these dumb themes! Nick? A judge? Why?

Simone - recognizing she's going through the motions without any feeling, just keeping that same smile planted on her face. Notice she frequently cut off her arm movement to race into the next move.  It was athletic, but no where near "sexy".   9s are too high. 8s would have been better.  It's week 6! She should have learned how to "connect" or at least act the role by now. She's falling behind IMO.

Bonner - Took a long time to get started, then once they got outside the wall, he spent a long time standing in place. Very rigid and no flow.  Also, how could the judges even see him considering the placement and angle of the wall compared to the judges' table?  Maybe on a screen? Who knows.   Eights a little high, especially for so little choreography.

Nancy - I don't appreciate the laser lights - I wish they'd consider the effect of aiming them into the tv cameras.  Anyway, a little wobbly in the beginning but she found her footing.  I appreciated that she recognized the somewhat "iconic" Maks + Mel B dance to the same song and the inevitable comparison.  I could have used one or two more 9s in that score. Also, what's up with someone making her change her footwear at the last minute?  That absolutely could affect her steps.

Nick - Oooo that was bad.  He seemed very unsteady on his feet, almost like he wasn't sure what move was next.  Did Bruno preview with "you had a great run" ?  Agree with the score.

Normani - Wow! Was there any salsa in that?  Val needs to shut it!  Is he interviewing for choreographying a music video or something?  Tons of spins and not much else.   The 8 was waaaay too high. The 10s were agenda scores. I guess she isn't getting the votes after all?  I would have given that 5s and 6s for not doing the dance assigned.

David - Very nice! A little shakey on the lifts and that straight armed lift was pure determination.   I do think the lady pros like using their athlete partners like a jungle gym and Lindsay loves being lifted.  I think they really need to consider whether their partner is up to it especially at this mid-season point where they're all exhausted and haven't yet gotten their second wind. He deserved another 8 on that score.

Rashad - That was fast.  I didn't get the intense feel for a tango.  His frame seemed to go on and off, maybe from the speed.  Some stompiness but overall good.  Disagree with the 10. All 9s would be right.

Heather - "I didn't get my Disney 10"? My oh my! A bit presumptuous?  Little hip action, especially in the "sliding doors".  What was that ending?  She threw water in Alan's face? Strange.  The Cbros have learned that if you get it in your video pkg that you want 10s, you'll get them.

Boy Band - David looks spent, Nick looks awkward, Bonner looks stiff, and please get all those audience members' heads out of the way.  CAI looked ridiculous.  Scores ok.

Girl Group - As I said in another thread, it's not right that 3 have to dance to their competition's song. But most have probably never heard 5H's music and wouldn't recognize it anyway..but still...not right.  Far better than the Boy group.  What's with the lighting - I guess that was an accident.  CAI? She just likes guys ripping off their shirts.  One lousy point more than the guys?  All the "judges" should have been one more point than the guys.

Heather - I think this wasn't so shocking.  Body language tells a lot and I think the pic RedFiat posted in the Heather thread yesterday showed a lot that I think many viewers have been picking up on this season.   Nick wasn't so bad after all. I actually agreed with some of his scores.

(Also, thanks Mods for opening the thread after the show ended.)

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Sister Havana said:

Apparently Bonner has a bigger fanbase than I thought, or Heather has a much, much smaller one than everyone else. I thought for sure Bonner would be next one out. Glad Nancy wasn't the shock boot tonight. 

I have been worried about her getting the boot since early on.  Now tonight she's not got a "traditional" Paso,  she had a last minute footwear change made her a little wobbly and voila,  you got her getting the same score as Bonner from Nick Carter.  

I hope people like her enough to stay. She obviously has soft support so hopefully she'll get a boost by being in the bottom.  For me, she's more consistent than Lea Thompson Artem's best partner up to now, and she left week 7, so hopefully Artem can take Nancy to week 8 and possibly further. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, WrongReasons said:

I legitimately do not understand how the heck all the guys were safe. Bonner is terrible and has zero personality.  Nick is not great though he at least has a personality. Same with David. Rashad had a chance as a contender, but holy moly what a load of crap at the Heather boot. I should have seen it coming with the perfect score (I thought her dance was amazing). 

I still feel like Simone gives off that immature fake vibe in her dancing and I just can't seem to warm to her. I though Normani was fantastic. So I guess now I'm rooting for Normani and Rashad. 

Bachelor guy has a personality? Where is it?

• Love 7
1 minute ago, blaase said:

4 minutes ago, WrongReasons said:

Bachelor guy has a personality? Where is it?

Well more so than Bonner lol (though yes that's not saying much). It didn't come through as much this week but I think in general he's more affable than Bonner and doesn't make a zillion excuses like Bonner and usually looks like he's trying to enjoy himself. Bonner is 100% dead eyes. 

• Love 9

Welcome back Maks. Bye bye Maks.  I'd have been fine with any woman but Nancy going home. Simone is wooden and Normani is grating. Heather? Eh, she wasn't going to win this, but she's grown on me this season.

Bonner needs to get off my screen. And I've got a soft spot for Nick since I'm a Bach fan since the first season.

• Love 7

I really want Len off the show . He underscores people because he doesn't like the booty popping songs or crazy scenery .. but how is that the pro or celebs fault ? If they're given a hip hop song , there's not much u can do with it other than hip hop moves . He judges dances beyond the partners control 

1 minute ago, dbell1 said:

Welcome back Maks. Bye bye Maks.  I'd have been fine with any woman but Nancy going home. Simone is wooden and Normani is grating. Heather? Eh, she wasn't going to win this, but she's grown on me this season.

Bonner needs to get off my screen. And I've got a soft spot for Nick since I'm a Bach fan since the first season.

Yes wooden is the perfect word for her! I can't always put my finger on it - I don't want to keep saying she comes off fake because I don't know her but she just comes off very wooden and not authentic. I don't get any joy watching her like I do some of the other contestants. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

And we got another Nancy anxiety package. Thanks Nancy/producers (they choose to show it but she chooses to do this every week, so equal blame). At least there weren't tears this time? I did laugh at her blaming the boots. I know it probably had an influence on the dance but it seemed a little, "Don't blame me that it wasn't perfect, it wasn't my fault!" excuse-y, especially paired with the stank face she had on after the judge comments but before the actual scoring.

I think skaters  are very into their footwear fitting properly. 

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, Uke said:

(Also, thanks Mods for opening the thread after the show ended.)

This can't be said enough. I enjoyed it this way more than last week's live posting.

2 minutes ago, WrongReasons said:

Well more so than Bonner lol (though yes that's not saying much). It didn't come through as much this week but I think in general he's more affable than Bonner and doesn't make a zillion excuses like Bonner and usually looks like he's trying to enjoy himself. Bonner is 100% dead eyes. 

When the show started and it showed Bonner in the opening with his shirt open and chest oiled up, my husband nodded at the screen and said, "There you go, some eye candy for you." And I snorted, because every time he's on camera, all I can think is "Dullsville, population of one!" There's gotta be some giant population of bull riding fans that keep their shit on the QT, kind of like pro wrestling fans. Because there's nothing there. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, WrongReasons said:

No kidding, I remember a few seasons ago people were complaining about deaf Nyle's lack of personality but Bonner ( and to a lesser extent Nick) make Nyle look like freaking Robert Downey Jr. in comparison.

Edited by blaase
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

But....the judges should be judging the partnership. Not solely the "Star". And the choreography the Pro comes up with is absolutely fair game...

Especially if it's a no-salsa (or barely there salsa) salsa from Val.

Now here's a girl, Normani who says she has danced since she was 3 and danced competitively since she was 9 . Why the hell can't Val give her ACTUAL Ballroom and Latin choreography?  She has been riding her jazz and hip hop dance style for at least half the competition. If anything let's start with a low bar and dance a prescribed dance style. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, RedFiat said:

Now here's a girl, Normani who says she has danced since she was 3 and danced competitively since she was 9 . Why the hell can't Val give her ACTUAL Ballroom and Latin choreography?  She has been riding her jazz and hip hop dance style for at least half the competition. If anything let's start with a low bar and dance a prescribed dance style. 

Not only was there little salsa content tonight, how often was she actually dancing with Val?  Most of the routine was done solo -- oh, except for the construction workers.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

There's gotta be some giant population of bull riding fans that keep their shit on the QT, kind of like pro wrestling fans. Because there's nothing there. 

And yes, he has a lot of fans in the PBR.  I sort of feel for him, I don't think this guy is anywhere near well enough to compete. His range of motion is frankly painful to watch and he's still trying to recover when he said his body fails him.  I wish if he competed it would have been later, then I could really blow him off.  The guy can't dance, but I give him huge points for trying. 

• Love 5

Can't believe the way they wasted Heather and Normani during that group dance. That would have been the perfect time to "Solider or Bootylicious" by Destiny's Child and not "My boyfriends back" with Simone in a robe that would fit David. 

Not surprised that Heather went home. I have been more impressed with the 3 centimeters of air I get in my living while pretending to be on the show. 

I continue to wish all these opportunities thrust upon Carlton and Slater after this show would go to Nick Carter instead. There aren't many celebrities I root for but I root for him.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, sinycalone said:

Not only was there little salsa content tonight, how often was she actually dancing with Val?  Most of the routine was done solo -- oh, except for the construction workers.

Well solo work is what she is used to.  She will leave this competition not knowing how to dance much of anything in hold. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

If the show used the spice girl's "spice up your life " for Normani instead of that pussycat dolls song, Val could have actually choreographed a decent salsa. Still upset at no spice girls!

• Love 3