Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: You Get What You Need

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, mochamajesty said:

I totally missed this. What makes you draw this conclusion?

Just sounded like something an engineering-type person would say.  I can't imagine it came from a friend of hers or "CHasm" Nathan.  

(edited)
4 minutes ago, annlaw78 said:

Just sounded like something an engineering-type person would say.  I can't imagine it came from a friend of hers or "CHasm" Nathan.  

Abby also said that someone "not Bonnie" had talked her out of the project.  Ed seems likely, no?

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Xantar said:

Why exactly has that yellow police tape been on those stairs this while time? Did they ever actually say? 

I think I saw in one if the scenes of Madeline stomping up the stairs that there was some sort of crumbled spot on the steps

• Love 4

Bummed they didn't show the women covering for Bonnie. That was a HUGE missed opportunity, but they would rather have live band karaoke and Maddy as a cheater (so OOC). The covering for Bonnie was a big sisterhood moment.

• Love 19

So Perry thought he could fight off 5 women and still brutalize and kill his wife.  There is no doubt in my mind that he was trying to, and would have, killed Celeste in front of witnesses.  It is possible that he thought those witnesses were worthless, because they were women.  Or it is just that he was insane with rage.

• Love 21
1 minute ago, Teddybear said:

I actually teared up when Celeste talked to Max and said whatever you did at school, it's OK, and they just hugged.  I don't even have kids but something about that scene was so powerful!  Nicole was amazing in this episode in particular.  The fear in her eyes when Perry said the property manager called.  Chilling.

I'm really going to miss this show. 

+1.  I was really touched by Celeste telling Max not to worry, that the tooth fairy would still come for him and he's a good boy.  I've been creeped out all along by how much the twins resemble Alexander Skarsgard.  It felt too real.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Cardie said:

So, Miss Zen Peace and Love knows when you have to shove evil down the stairs! That's the one thing I didn't guess was coming but I found the finale very satisfying, as the women's petty squabbles turn to unity and sisterhood when they all confront the true monstrosity of Perry.  Well done, BLL.

I thought it was interesting it turned out to be Bonnie who pushed Perry. Especially since earlier in the episode Jane told Celeste that Ziggy had told her Max had pushed Sky down the stairs and had been acting aggressively towards her.

• Love 15
11 minutes ago, Xantar said:

Why exactly has that yellow police tape been on those stairs this while time? Did they ever actually say? 

I didn't like Perry turning out to be the rapist but not because it was too many coincidences. I'm fine with coincidences. But making him Jane's rapist turns a somewhat nuanced domestic violence story into a black and white villain story. Up until now, the story of Celeste and Perry has been riveting because it seemed so real and believable. Some of us actually bought it when Perry seemed remorseful at the couples counseling session. 

But now he doesn't have some kind of twisted love for his wife in his own mind. It turns out he's a rapist who cheats on her too. It's such a shame. 

I will say though that if this was the story they had to tell because that's what happened in the book, it was filmed and acted extremely well. The last fifteen minutes or so is almost completely free of dialogue, but we can tell exactly what happened. The moment when Jane saw Perry was particularly well done. I loved how Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman played their horrified glances at each other as they realized what was going on. 

I also don't understand why they felt they had to cover up what happened. But maybe that's just what the title means: to say that he fell by accident is really a little lie. And a big one. 

It was caution tape and there was a sign at the bottom in one scene that said "Stairs closed for repairs" or something, and that landing in the center with rebar sticking up.  

I was spoiled but still when Jane recognized Perry was the only time in the show I choked up a little.  I never felt tense during the Wright's fights.  

5 minutes ago, susannot said:

Really enjoyed Nathan's singing.  I know it was a ringer, but it was a good ringer.

Oh, me too.  Whoever it was sounded like Don Mclean.

I liked the finale but the fight scene at the end was kind of OTT.  Perry lashing out at ALL the women, cut with quick shots of the ocean (there's that violence metaphor again).  

16 minutes ago, mochamajesty said:

I totally missed this. What makes you draw this conclusion?

I think it was Ed, due to him announcing that Abby hadn't launched the site and that he is a really great step-father to her. She does value what he and Bonnie say to her.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Xantar said:

I viewed the original yellow tape as the 'CAUTION' tape that you see around construction sites, and that sort of thing. The steps had some sort of problem, and people were supposed to avoid them.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, susannot said:

So Perry thought he could fight off 5 women and still brutalize and kill his wife.  There is no doubt in my mind that he was trying to, and would have, killed Celeste in front of witnesses.  It is possible that he thought those witnesses were worthless, because they were women.  Or it is just that he was insane with rage.

I think he felt he had nothing left to lose and probably wanted to kill Celeste and himself (but probably never would have gotten around to the killing himself part).

• Love 18
14 minutes ago, susannot said:

Really enjoyed Nathan's singing.  I know it was a ringer, but it was a good ringer.

Yes both guys sounded great!

From Vulture:

the cover of “The Wonder of You,” sung by Ed, is credited to Conor O’Brien, and “How’s the World Treating You,” sung by Madeline’s first husband Nathan (James Tupper), is credited to Daniel Agee.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, susannot said:

I have to think insane with rage.  I mean, obviously Renata Klein, CEO of GoogleYahooAmazonApple is not worthless or inconsequential.  The police will listen to her. That's also why it's a bit hoky the women would think they'd have to lie -- they'd have the best attorneys in the Bay Area swarming the police station before you could say "double-broken urethra." It's not even clear Bonnie realized he was standing at the top of the stairs or how close he was, vs. just trying to push him off Celeste.

• Love 22
18 minutes ago, betha said:

Yes, and I appreciate the ending but I thought it odd that Renata brought Amabella when max was there. Just two days ago she thought he would kill her if she told on him.

Well, I think between the time of Perry's funeral to the scene at the beach, all the mothers must of had multiple discussions with ALL of the kids about how they should treat one another.

• Love 7
(edited)

I have never been so tense watching a show. Despite having read the book--I knew what was coming, and I still was in knots! Well done, show!

One thing I didn't get was all the tension between Ed and Nathan. Was it just to throw us off the scent, of who the killer/victim would actually be? 

I kind of wish Renata had been the actual murderer--it would have fit with her character and would have given her a chance to work off some of her righteous indignation re: Amabella.

Speaking of Amabella, this show reminded me of how much I hate the expression "bullying." It is so overused and misused. Was Amabella being bullied? Maybe ... but she was actually being abused and physically hurt. Bullying seems like the tip of the iceberg of what happened to her. 

Hilarious moment when the principal seemed to get up in the teacher's grill and she was having none of it. 

Edited by lovinbob
  • Love 12

It was probably already at the top of Celeste's to-do list to take the boys to get therapy even before Perry died.  

2 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

About the twins and Ziggy being around the same age, I figured that Celeste was pregnant already with twins and Perry wasn't having sex with her because she was higher risk, so he decided he was entitled to cheat. Raping Jane might have come about because he had to do something violent when he got rebuffed and Jane was a good replacement for Celeste at that point. We saw him play the victim time and again.

Or he was cheating on Celeste from the get-go, including when she was having all of those miscarriages, which may very well have been due to Perry's physical violence.  An abused woman is mostly likely to be killed when she's attempting to leave and when she's pregnant.

• Love 18
13 minutes ago, Teddybear said:

But how could they possibly?  Who would have ever thought that he could be the rapist/ Ziggy's dad?  I wondered this too, if the women actually knew based on Jane's reaction upon seeing him.

I actually teared up when Celeste talked to Max and said whatever you did at school, it's OK, and they just hugged.  I don't even have kids but something about that scene was so powerful!  Nicole was amazing in this episode in particular.  The fear in her eyes when Perry said the property manager called.  Chilling.

I'm really going to miss this show. 

Madeline saw Jane freeze up once she saw Perry. You could see something in her whole body that said, "This is the guy". Once Madeline saw it, she looked towards Celeste in shock. That was before Perry started to attack Celeste and the other women joined in to protect her. Reneta has no idea about Jane's rape, but she was in there throwing punches at Perry to keep him away from Celeste. Even Bonnie didn't stop to question anything. She just saw all these women trying to stop Perry and she reacted.

• Love 15

Last week I guessed the homicide would be a group confrontation with Perry as the ultimate victim but got two key details wrong, so the final reveal still had some surprises for me.

I'd thought it was possible that Ed would also end up involved, after they set him up first as angered by bullying and then feeling nearly like a nonentity as he started to believe Madeline merely settled for him. And as this episode went on, I really thought they might be going there. But he and all the other men were of course AWOL when the fatal moment came.

And I'd dismissed Bonnie as too New Age to do anything (other than try to do conflict mediation) if she stumbled onto the confrontation. I wasn't prepared at all for her to see Celeste and Perry and take in the reality of the situation at first glance. Like the reviewer said, that's when you realize that what Bonnie meant by "We've all got baggage" was maybe domestic violence wasn't an unfamiliar situation for her (whether against herself as a child or someone else, say, her mother).

• Love 14
12 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

The nuance in the domestic violence storyline came from Celeste's simultaneous fear and love for the man, and the reasons why such a beautiful, smart, successful woman would stay with a violent loser like that.

I think there can also be nuance in the etiology and psychology of the abuser.  Not an excuse -- there is no excuse -- but that's not something I think I've ever really seen portrayed.  Abusers aren't necessarily hatched from the Villain Central Casting.  They typically evolve and escalate, as does the abuse they mete out.  I guess Perry is just a multifarious felon. 

• Love 11

I'd figured out that Perry was the rapist and that Jane would finally see him at the party but I was still on pins and needles the entire episode. I was so scared for Celeste.

That was a well acted series.

• Love 17
(edited)

It was just all too neat for me. And then everyone all cozy at the end. 

Nicole should win any related acting awards, absolutely.

Edited by Bebecat
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, wilnil said:

And I'd dismissed Bonnie as too New Age to do anything (other than try to do conflict mediation) if she stumbled onto the confrontation. I wasn't prepared at all for her to see Celeste and Perry and take in the reality of the situation at first glance. Like the reviewer said, that's when you realize that what Bonnie meant by "We've all got baggage" was maybe domestic violence wasn't an unfamiliar situation for her (whether against herself as a child or someone else, say, her mother).

I never dismissed Bonnie, due to her New Ageness/Yoga fibe. I saw Bonnie as this woman (just like Reneta) who was being negatively stigmatized due to how others viewed them. 

• Love 18
1 hour ago, madam magpie said:

Who was watching them at the end, though?

That was the lady cop, based on the clicking noise her lighter makes

1 hour ago, Eliz said:

And not to lawyer it too much, but I don't think they had to cover up what Bonnie did. I think shoving Perry off Celeste when he was in the middle of a vicious attack was probably a perfectly justifiable use of force to defend Celeste, even if it did happen to be at the top of some stairs.

Disclosing the attack would mean making Perry's antics public.  Perhaps Celeste wanted to shield her children (and maybe Ziggy) from finding that their dad was a wife beater and a rapist.

• Love 12

I enjoyed it from beginning to end.  I could pick nits but I enjoyed the focus on women and relationships without making them all competitive shrews.  There was excellent acting, some that I expected and some that I did not. 

The music was yet again excellent, from the talent show singing to the use of Neil Young's Helpless during the abuse.  That was haunting. 

• Love 13
(edited)
4 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

Disclosing the attack would mean making Perry's antics public.  Perhaps Celeste wanted to shield her children (and maybe Ziggy) from finding that their dad was a wife beater and a rapist.

The cops knew the part about Perry attacking Celeste. They referred to him "roughing her up" and she had bruises all over her face that I'm sure all of the busybodies at the fundraiser knew weren't there when she arrived.  The cops just didn't understand why Celeste wouldn't admit that she'd pushed him during the brawl since it was obviously justified.

Edited by Bitsy
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, susannot said:

I think that was a big reason why the cast Skaasgard.  They need someone who is tall enough to be believably menacing to Kidman AND can take on 4 women with little problem

• Love 9
(edited)

I did have a nice reaction to Jane realizing it was Perry even thought I already figured that also, i was shocked only because I had forgotten about it lol

But man, the moment Nicole Kidman stepped out the car my nerves were on edge.

then one by one everybody converging at the stairs we know the accident took place at was great television

and of course Perry being Ziggy's dad reveal was just as eye roll worthy as I imagined it would

also was Perry was just going beat her ass in front of all her friends? smh  their lucky Perry doesn't flirt with firearms. He truly had nothing left to lose at that pt.

Edited by dd21dd21
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, mochamajesty said:

What does Perry do for a living  that takes him to Vienna and Hawaii on "business"?

Laughing at the people protesting because Perry is too evil. Sometimes a dick is just a dick.

Hhash...Agreed. Perry even told Celeste that she was "fine" after he flipped her over all the furniture, dragged her through their bedroom, forced her up against the wall, choked her and then kicked her in the stomach. Yah, he's too evil to then be revealed as a rapist.

4 minutes ago, VioletMarx said:

Were Jane and Celeste dressed in the same Audrey Hepburn outfit? If so, nice touch.

Yes, they were dressed in the same outfit. I didn't focus on that, because I was so worried about Perry knowing that Celeste had gotten an apartment, was planning on escaping with the kids, but then she had to go to that damn event at the school. I was terrified that he would attack her in the car.

• Love 6

The actual confrontation happened so quickly, especially balanced against all the singing: I really wish the pacing of the trivia night was more balanced. Also, how many kids go to that school? There were so, so many extras posing as parents, it was insane.

One thing I did really love was the look that Maddie and Nathan shared as they hugged their spouses: in it, Maddie's agreeing to protect Bonnie. I really wish the Joseph plot didn't exist and Maddie's story remained rooted in her conflict with Nathan, but this moment was still quite poignant.

It strikes me that a lot of plot threads are tangentially tied up, but there's plenty that could be addressed more completely: Maddie's entanglement with Joseph and his wife; Bonnie's backstory; and most notably, the detective determined to uncover more about Perry's death: definitely seems to be keeping the possibilities open for a season two.

• Love 7