Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: You Get What You Need

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Dewey Decimate said:

The suspense had my stomach in knots and my lip bit. The bad guy actually gets it? And women come together in the end? Holy shit, this is the feel-good movie of the year. I'm kinda feeling crying-happy.

This.

My husband noticed that I had my fists clenched and I was smiling while they were pummeling Perry. I liked the women coming together like that. Well done all around. I'll miss this.

• Love 16

So I guess the shoes never really came into play. I would have loved to see the bottoms of his shoes, although he probably wore boots with that leather outfit. Also good thing Jane could tell by his voice because she didn't appear to have a chance to sniff him.....and he was wearing an Elvis wig and sunglasses for goodness sakes. How did Celeste get away with wearing that cutout dress, what with all the bruises she had on her from the most recent beatings. Guess I'm getting stuck in the weeds.

I had to chuckle about Bonnie being all peace and love, but ended up being the one killing Perry. Some things are good in theory until it involves you.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Bitsy said:

The cops knew the part about Perry attacking Celeste. They referred to him "roughing her up" and she had bruises all over her face that I'm sure all of the busybodies at the fundraiser knew weren't there when she arrived.  The cops just didn't understand why Celeste wouldn't admit that she'd pushed him during the brawl since it was obviously justified.

Ok.  Upon rewatched lady cop knew Perry was pushed, but per Celeste's confession he tripped and fell.  So why did the ladies think Bonnie needed protection?  She responded to 4 women in duress.  Even if she was in danger of jail, surely expensive lawyers (which the other ladies can afford) can get her out.  
Perhaps they were protecting Bonnie's non violence, peace loving image. And yes I know that sounds like a stretch

• Love 2
Just now, Auntie Anxiety said:

So I guess the shoes never really came into play.

We saw the shoes earlier on. I forget what episode. Perry was packing and the shoes were laid out to go in the suitcase. Then at the end, it was Ziggy's footprints in the sand.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

So I guess the shoes never really came into play. I would have loved to see the bottoms of his shoes, although he probably wore boots with that leather outfit.

I paid close attention to his feet and he was wearing black boots

(edited)
2 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

How were Celeste and Jane in the same dress? They both wore black, but I thought jane's was cocktail length and A-line/flared, while Celeste's was floor length and slinky. 

Both were dressed as the same-era Audrey Hepburn.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, mochamajesty said:

Laughing at the people protesting because Perry is too evil. Sometimes a dick is just a dick.

Yes but there is a difference between a dick and the big bad. Abusive husband Perry is evil but in a realistic way. Jane's rapist was evil in a realistic way.  But making Perry the root of all that was evil on the show makes him the big bad which feels less realistic.

The show has done a pretty good job depicting the intricacies of domestic violence but making him the master villain feels like they took it away.

• Love 9
(edited)
18 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

How were Celeste and Jane in the same dress? They both wore black, but I thought jane's was cocktail length and A-line/flared, while Celeste's was floor length and slinky. 

I think they were both attempting to replicate the opening scene of BAT.  Jane's was more budget (i.e., a black cocktail dress) than Celeste's floor length evening gown.  I did get a kick out of the expert updo Celeste managed to do herself.

Edited by annlaw78
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, dippydee said:

Nicole Kidman needs all the awards for this role. She was phenomenal.

I'd read the book so I knew what was coming but damn if I wasn't utterly terrified for Celeste when she had to get into the car with Perry to go to the fundraiser. 

Yes. Nicole has earned that Emmy. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, rozen said:

Exactly what I was thinking. He's probably been doing this their entire marriage. Hell, he might have even been faking some of them to go find women exactly like Jane when he was feeling guilty about Celeste's bruises. 

Bonnie's perspective as an "outsider" was critical here. She assessed the violence happening in front of everyone's eyes with an objective eye. The Greek chorus has shown their disdain for Celeste and Perry's goopy, lovey-dovey, perfect marriage all season.  You know what other people's reaction to their dust up probably was? Good, finally a crack in their stupid perfect marriage with stupid perfect twins. Instead Bonnie saw a frightened woman running away from a physically imposing man, and was bound and determined to make sure she was ok. I also found it telling she was willing to go it alone with her five foot nothing self and not even bother to convince Nathan to back her up.

Renata went up so many points in my book for immediately leaping in there trying to fight Perry off, even though she knew nothing of the situation. I kind of expected her to run to safety and call the cops, considering how much of a baby she was about the eye poke. She was the oldest of all the women and dove in their multiple times to try to save Celeste. 

The murder sisterhood is adorable, please go away awesome Lady Cop.

I really wanted awesome lady cop to just be like "you know what.. it makes sense". 

I loved this show and yes a season 2 would be nice but then again I'm on the fence, maybe one and done is how all shows should be. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, madam magpie said:

Both wee dressed as Audrey Hepburn.

I do find it interesting that the whole theme of the fundraiser had the men being costumed as this ultimate alpha male between the 50s until his death, Elvis. While the women were costumed as the image of femininity as Audrey Hepburn was in the 50s and 60s. Yet, all of these women fought off a threat and protected one another.

• Love 15
Just now, vixenbynight said:

I do find it interesting that the whole theme of the fundraiser had the men being costumed as this ultimate alpha male between the 50s until his death, Elvis. While the women were costumed as the image of femininity as Audrey Hepburn was in the 50s and 60s. Yet, all of these women fought off a threat and protected one another.

Audrey was also a badass, in the quiet way women often are. She was a great humanitarian, even though most people remember her just as a glamorous movie star. She fits the theme of power and strength under the facade.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, scrb said:

The four women were not going to hold off Perry.  And I don't buy that little Bonnie is going to rag doll a man who's at least 80 pounds heavier, even with a running start.  Maybe he drank too much before he caught up with the women at the top of those stairs.

He was busy kicking Celeste when pushed.  With only 1 foot on the ground, I could buy him getting pushed down by Bonnie with a running start

1 hour ago, Xantar said:

Why exactly has that yellow police tape been on those stairs this while time? Did they ever actually say? 

The landing where Perry died was being repaired.  There was a shot of it with metal rods sticking out in 1 of previous episode

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I had to chuckle about Bonnie being all peace and love, but ended up being the one killing Perry. Some things are good in theory until it involves you.

That's kind of the brilliance of it. I read up on her character in the book, but that aside, it's so perfectly calibrated that the one woman who consistently acted in tact as chaos ensued around her would finally have a moment where that bubble burst. 

That moment of revelation where it all came together for Jane, Celeste, and Madeline was extraordinary to watch. 

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

It wasn't the same dress but they were both evoking the same Audrey Hepburn moment in Breakfast at Tiffany's. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, VioletMarx said:

It wasn't the same dress but they were both evoking the same Audrey Hepburn moment in Breakfast at Tiffany's. 

The same moment in the classic film -- and the same role in Perry's life.

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

Why on earth was a fundraiser held at a place that's had caution tape on its front steps? That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Celeste and Renata would nix that ASAP.

The front was that red carpet area they all entered from.   These steps went off behind the back of the theater terrace, I think.  But I think there'd be more than yellow caution tape around that area, in real life, if they'd even leave giant spiked rebar sticking up out of the ground like that.  

Kind of funny that all that was for a grade school fundraiser.  The back-up singers and band and that stage and the red carpet and all.  There were even flashes and camera shutter sounds around that red carpet, like it was some awards show with paparazzi.  

The police response was kind of silly.  They were written like they were dying to call this a murder.  It was clearly an accident, whether a woman pushed him over or not.  The little one minute 'after the show' thing had Vallee or Kelley saying the detective watching them on the beach at the end was the one loose end.  We don't find out if she drops it or not.  

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

So which Audrey was Madeline replicating?

There are some fashion photos from the...'60s, I think, where Audrey is wearing only a white shirt.

IMG_2950.PNG

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 9
20 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

Ok.  Upon rewatched lady cop knew Perry was pushed, but per Celeste's confession he tripped and fell.  So why did the ladies think Bonnie needed protection?  She responded to 4 women in duress.  Even if she was in danger of jail, surely expensive lawyers (which the other ladies can afford) can get her out.

I imagine they didn't have enough faith in the justice system to be sure Bonnie wouldn't be charged with and possibly convicted of some form of homicide. And Detective Zippo Woman was bearing those fears out (though she was naturally focusing on Celeste as a suspect). Even with her colleague pointing out that no serious charge would stick given the circumstances, she still would prefer to find something she could build a case around.

Much easier for all the women to stick with the story that Perry tripped and fell in his blind rage and ensure Bonnie never has to see the inside of a courtroom.

• Love 17

So I just rewatched the finale because it was so good, and two things I noticed:

a) Chloe was playing a simplified version of the ending classical song on the piano.

b) Right before Perry attacks Celeste, his eyes dart over to Jane's direction and they widen; he looks startled/shocked. Could he have possibly recognized her (I know, it's been six years), and that's what sent him over the edge? He'll be convicted and possibly jailed, so screw it? Hm.

Overall, it was an amazing series. 

• Love 12

In my reasonable adult voice I say; well I think this was the weakest episode of the 7 and was a disappointment.  Lots of wasted time singing and  more singing and more singing.  Ed sounded like a 7 year old trying to sound sexy, that was horrible!  Just....lots of wasted time, blurry lights whatever, stupid arcs like what mother just sits there with her high schooler and talks about how she feels about cheating on her husband?  Does that seem like Maddy to you?  It doesn't to me.  The therapist didn't act like a therapist at all.  Celeste all broody at the apt.  IDK there were more questions, more important things to delve into.  Ach.  

Didn't like the remake or whatever of the Stones song at the end either.  Really disappointed.  

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, dd21dd21 said:

watching the ending again, not a fan of how it was edited

just show the scene in one shot

I'm going to disagree here because I think the way it was shot was to show that 5 women would have different viewpoints of how it happened. It was chaotic and the editing showed that, because it was clearly something that happened unexpectedly.

I'm on re-watch too and wow but AS is tall. I know he's 6'4, but when he's walking up the red carpet looking for Celeste he towered over EVERYONE. Made him look even more menacing.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, lovinbob said:

They were both doing a version of this Audrey costume, each according to the resources (financial and physical) they had to work with. Super clever costuming to have them match but not match.

Although I have to say, Renata's My Fair Lady Ascot opening day outfit is by far the best costume, in terms of matching the character. It is trying so hard, and spending so much money -- perfect. Madeline's look is like a Draper James instagram post.

breakfast-at-tiff-wardrobe1.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
32 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

It was clearly an accident, whether a woman pushed him over or not.

The reason for the cover-up was that it was not an accident. The editing was very chaotic but my reading of Bonnie's movements and expression was that she was not just helping get Perry off Celeste but intended to push him over. When she first started following him, I thought, "Why all the confusion, there's going to be an objective witness to whatever goes down?" But the objective witness is the killer.

I'm not saying that any jury would convict Bonnie under the circumstances but I can see why the detective was not buying the "accident" scenario.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, vixenbynight said:

Madeline saw Jane freeze up once she saw Perry. You could see something in her whole body that said, "This is the guy". Once Madeline saw it, she looked towards Celeste in shock. That was before Perry started to attack Celeste and the other women joined in to protect her. 

Perry also reacted on seeing Jane, which I think confirmed for Maddy and Celeste what Jane's body language and face were already telling them. It may also have made Perry go even more rage-crazy, since it was another sign his life as he knew it was coming to an end - wife leaving, rape and domestic abuse allegations meaning he wouldn't see his kids, etc.

Even though the end result was as I had expected, I was on tenterhooks the whole time and had to stop myself from fast-forwarding or spoiling myself because the whole thing was too tense. I knew they were throwing red herrings right and left, and yet still I got sucked in! I thought it was absolutely brilliant, and I loved the cross-cutting between the incident and tranquil scene on the beach.

The only quibble I had is that there really was no need to lie, at all. Defense of others is a legitimate self-defense claim, and there were five witnesses that Perry was beating the shit out of Celeste and appeared to be about to kill her, as well as all her obvious injuries. Bonnie also couldn't have known he would land just-so on some convenient rebar - otherwise a fall down the stairs would not likely have killed him. That's also why it seemed silly that the detective was so focused on it. It clearly was not a planned murder, but at worst a justified and accidental homicide. I don't think Celeste being concerned about her image would trump her lawyerly understanding of the situation. Though I suppose in the heat of the moment they didn't have much time to think it through.

But whatever. I can't believe I was all "blech" on the trailer for this and I'm so glad I watched it. Riveting, compelling, all the good things.

• Love 19

unimpressed, party of one, please sit here in the corner... It was obvious to all of us non book readers that Perry was (hopefully) going to die, and that one of his sons was the local Kindergarten abuser but...I ended up ff'ing through most of the party because I was just that bored. I really enjoyed this series up until this final episode, which for me was a huge disappointment. oh well.

• Love 1

I'll post my book comments in the book thread...

I thought it was unrealistic, at that point, that Celeste was still going to go to the party with Perry. She looked so terrified for her life after he found out about the apartment. He easily could have killed her in the car.

I do not think this show needs a second season. It wrapped everything up already and another season would just be milking it. And god, that detective clicking her lighter all the time is super annoying.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, mochamajesty said:

Anyone who knows how to read facial expressions saw the look on Bonnie's face when she saw Perry and Celeste. She knew immediately. 

My reaction to Zoe Kravitz's acting has been pretty neutral all season until this episode (granted, there weren't really enough lines/time spent on the Bonnie character to come know her like we did Maddie or Celeste). This scene tonight changed my mind. Zoe/Bonnie's facial expression when she saw Perry & Celeste "read" clear as day to me. Bonnie knew what was up because she'd lived it. Zoe knocked that scene out of the park. 

Nicole still deserves all the awards & Emmys. I was terrified for Celeste when she was setting up and cleaning her apartment, as I was sure Perry was going to show up. Then I was really scared once he announced he knew about her apartment thanks to the apartment manager's message. 

I love Ed, especially beardless Ed. Joseph is hot as sin, but Ed is sweet and I wouldn't kick him out of bed.

I loved these seven episodes, but I'm not sure I need anther season. I see the unfinished plot lines but I worry that not leaving well enough alone (and this season was much better than "just" well enough) would lead to dismantling this great ending of the sisterhood. 

• Love 23
2 hours ago, Atlanta said:

Bummed they didn't show the women covering for Bonnie. That was a HUGE missed opportunity, but they would rather have live band karaoke and Maddy as a cheater (so OOC). The covering for Bonnie was a big sisterhood moment.

But they did. There was a brief scene with Maddie and Bonnie very close to each other, Maddie whispering to Bonnie. It appeared that she was working with Bonnie to get their stories straight so that a united front would be presented to the investigators. 

And then, at the beach scene, later on, Bonnie is fully-integrated with the other women. Something that didn't happen prior to Trivia Night.

• Love 15

Oh I was so disappointed with ending of this! It was so predictable and unrealistic, and felt like such bad writing compared to the rest of the series.

Then I learned it was a mini-series, based on a book. Before I knew that, my thoughts of the ending was, how will this show continue to be interesting next season? They could have explored the so well written reality of domestic abuse so much further. But well, there are no more seasons, so I understand why they had to wrap it up. :)

But I still think the ending was so bad, be it book or television, it was the sloppy writing of someone who just wants to quickly wrap up the book/series. This tiny girl pushing a huge man would at the most had him wobble a little, or lose his balance, not fly backwards with great force. And falling down just a few stairs in highly unlikely to kill a person unless you are very unlucky. How he dies could have been written so much more creatively and intricately.

I'm sorry the ending was so bad, it ruined the series a lot and ruined the momentum of great writing. But I'm very grateful how masterfully they handled the subject of domestic abuse.

• Love 4

The tidyness of having Perry be the rapist bugs me.  I was hoping they would leave who raped her unresolved.   I didn't really care.  I cared that Ziggy would be happy and that Jane may have a happier future.  I didn't need it all wrapped up.

I love the final shot on the beach.

Nicole Kidman deserves gobs of awards and not just for the showy scenes.  How she absorbs Jane's revelation about Max was wonderful.  She is such a good scene partner.  And how she verbally fights off Perry in the car.  We know she is freaking out but she holds it together.  

And hey, Renata helped her out there by knocking on the window.  Hee.

• Love 13
(edited)
31 minutes ago, gingerella said:

unimpressed, party of one, please sit here in the corner... It was obvious to all of us non book readers that Perry was (hopefully) going to die, and that one of his sons was the local Kindergarten abuser but...I ended up ff'ing through most of the party because I was just that bored. I really enjoyed this series up until this final episode, which for me was a huge disappointment. oh well.

make room for me.  There were good parts and I liked the series and def the overall story, no problem with Perry as the dead guy.  But as I said above I think this was the weakest episode with so much filler, walking down the sidewalk of torches..whats his faces wife driving by...

Edited by Giesela
  • Love 6

That was just amazing tv. I was sitting on pins and needles the entire episode, especially the fundraiser! I kept waiting for something to happen.

I did not expect Bonnie( the earth and yoga guru) to be the one to be the killer. I also was surprised at it being Perry, I feel for the bait that it was one of the women.

I think it was obvious that Ziggy looked like Perry. That was the only predictable part to me.  They did great casting. 

Nathan was such an ass to Ed and the second Bonnie appeared he acted like he was innocent and it was all on Ed. Bonnie deserves better. 

I don't think the women had to lie, he was beating on 5 women. It clearly was self defense. However, I see why they did considering the community they've shown them all in this series. Glad they showed it to bond them together at the beach. 

Such a great series! Loved it.

• Love 5

In the first episode thread, I commented on how Nicole Kidman was doing nothing for me. Ha! I'll just have a seat, now. 

Throughout the series, her performance steadily built, and she nailed this shit. 

• Love 24
2 hours ago, vixenbynight said:

I think it was Ed, due to him announcing that Abby hadn't launched the site and that he is a really great step-father to her. She does value what he and Bonnie say to her.

I believe it was actually Maddie, after she confessed her affair to her daughter, and told her all the ways that she wasn't perfect. Abigail was vague in who helped change her mind about the project because she didn't want to reveal her mother's confession. 

• Love 10
(edited)

I've been a big fan of Nicole Kidman since the 90s....but in the years after her Oscar win, I'll be honest....even I was kind of thinking she was perhaps overrated & more damagingly, over-exposed (she was in sooooo many movies, some that were good and some that were....well, "Bewitched" & "Grace of Monaco"). This series reminded me of just how incredibly talented Nicole is & how much I love her as an actress. I'm glad she took this role. Maybe more HBO limited series or similar venues would be good for her because it goes her a chance to inhabit a charcter for a longer period of time and really allow her to exhibit her acting skills (like she did here). 

I also noticed some slight wrinkles around the space between her eyebrows in this episode, which I don't think I've ever noticed in her before. I think she's stopped messing around with her face as much, and that helped - actresses and actors need to be able to move their faces at least a little. 

Nicole Kidman is such a beautiful woman. You all know I've harped about the sometimes awful and obvious wigs they've had her in during this show. They were really bad in the first episode. And awful in some scenes in this episode! When she was talking to Jane at the beach (when Jane revealed that one of Celeste's sons was the bully), the wig was SOOOO BAD. Awful. I was embarrassed by proxy for her and for the hair/make-up people working on the show. In other scenes though, it was much better and didn't even look like a wig. Nicole looked stunning in the black dress at Perry's funeral. 

Laura Dern has never struck me as particularly beautiful nor ugly. But her wardrobe and styling for much of this series has been so fabulous. I want Renata's wardrobe and hair. This team of stylists made her look stunning! Until the last episode at Trivia Night. I though she looked the worst of all the women. 

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 10

does nobody else find it bizarre and incongruous that immediately after finding out that celeste's son Max was physically abusing her daughter, Renata is letting Amabella frolics on the beach with Max, her child's abuser? Yeah, this ending was just ridiculously unrealistic to me.

• Love 3