Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I agree. This irritates me. I notice that MSNBC doesn't at all make any effort in this kind of thing. The entire time Rod Rosenstein was in the news, they never managed to inform their on-air people of whether it was stIne or stEEn. It took me 30 seconds to find the answer myself, so they really just don't care and don't try.

At least when the odious Chris Matthews insisted on mispronouncing Dick Cheney‘s last name as “Cheeney,” he explained that that was because he had heard somewhere it was the official pronunciation. That was dumb too, but at least there was a rationale behind it other than laziness.

Joy is the worst with mispronunciations. She continually mispronounced former White House counsel Don McGahn as “Don McGawn.” It irritated me that it irritated me.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Ali Velshi keeps pronouncing Qatar as "cutter."

I've heard Qatar pronounced "cutter" and it sounds very harsh, from the back of the throat. The folks who say it this way all had worked there on overseas assignments. My husband has worked a lot in the Middle East (not Qatar) and has heard it pronounced several different ways over there by Middle Easterners. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
On 12/9/2022 at 9:42 PM, Eliot said:

It grinds my gears big time that neither Joy Reid nor Alex Wagner can bring herself to pronounce Sinema’s first name properly. It is not “Kristin.” It is “Kyrsten.”

Ayman Moyheldin did that on his show last night, too. You'd think he'd be more careful, seeing how often his own last name is mispronounced!!

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

Ayman Moyheldin did that on his show last night, too. You'd think he'd be more careful, seeing how often his own last name is mispronounced!!

Chuck Todd did it yesterday too. Then again, I really don’t expect anything more from him.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Medhi Hasan seemed to be pronouncing it the correct way this weekend, at least as much as my ear is able to perceive.

He does have a very thick accent, but not so much that I can't understand him. Mehdi and Ayman made a fun bet last week re: England vs. France in the World Cup. Mehdi bet on his native England, Ayman on France. If France won, Mehdi was to eat a croissant on the air. If England won, Ayman would eat fish and chips on the air. Last night, the handoff from Mehdi's show to Ayman's ended with Mehdi happily chowing down on a croissant.

• LOL 5

Alex Wagner is wearing a jacket with decorative buttons vertically on each side. It's a fashion I've seen a lot lately, so this is not really her issue. But I hate it. I hate that these jackets always position giant decorative buttons over a woman's nipples.

On 12/9/2022 at 8:18 PM, possibilities said:

I agree. This irritates me. I notice that MSNBC doesn't at all make any effort in this kind of thing. The entire time Rod Rosenstein was in the news, they never managed to inform their on-air people of whether it was stIne or stEEn. It took me 30 seconds to find the answer myself, so they really just don't care and don't try.

I haven’t noticed that yet, it’s been just a few days right? Maybe they’ll get it.  I’ve gotten Kristins/Kirstens wrong myself in other women for sure.

One thing that confounds me-does anyone else notice Lawrence O’Donnell has been mispronouncing Andrea Mitchell’s first name as “On-DRAY-a” for a decade?  I know that’s a legit pronunciation (I actually have a friend who pronounces it that way) but it would appear msnbc-Andrea does not. Like is it an inside joke?! I don’t get it.  

Edited by jenkait
A letter
  • Like 1

I had the worst dream last night guys. I know dreams are stupid and don’t mean anything, but this was so distressing. I dreamt that msnbc as a channel was ending! I was like “so it will just be static on Monday?” and someone told me yes.  I was so sad but did think: maybe Chris Jansing and Andrea Mitchell will retire now! (Btw I’m sure they just don’t want to retire yet, I realize I’m just pushing my own feelings of wanting to retire on them!)

Anyway wow that was brutal!  It took until I was totally awake and toasting a waffle for my kid until I was like “no that was stupid, that’s totally not happening!” Seriously 🤦🏼‍♀️

Edited by jenkait
fixing a sentence
  • Hugs 3
  • Wink 1
5 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

My man Michael Steele was on this weekend, in for Ayman and Mehdi Hasan. He seems to be one of the network's go-to subs this year and I am here for it!! 😁😁😁😁😁

He needs his own show.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

And, once again, our man Heilemann has taken over temporarily *just* when stuff happens!  He did a great job covering the latest news, handling guests, etc. I also tuned in at 11:00 PM to see what was going on. Is that Stephanie Ruhl? She was doing a great job with the interviews as well.

• Like 5

Oh, noooo...on a windy, frigid evening, I turn on MSNBC, and whom do I see? Not my buddy, Heilemann, that's for sure. No, it's Alex Wagner for the next two 😡 hours. Here I am, done with holiday entertaining, ready to chill out, and this is what I'm subjected to?  Sure, it's the holidays. The regulars are at home, celebrating with loved ones. But...what about me?????????? 😾

• Applause 2
  • LOL 4

Nicole Wallace had Steve Kornaki, and he definitely showed who voted for what. They also have a running tally of totals. I'm a bit behind, but so far they're showing it. I'm about half an hour into her 2 hour broadcast. 

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I watched Kornacki for a few minutes on MSNBC but his schtick is getting tiresome, so I switched to CNN just to see the number of votes.  

So did I. Can't stand him.

• Like 1

I used to be a regular Morning Joe viewer but have switched to CNN, local news and HGTV. I do still drop in on MJ and see that in spite of being given four hours (four!) and a huge contract $$$ - they are still repeating entire segments. I am assuming the segments are half-hour chunks. I guess you could say they are utilizing their regulars more which may be smart. It benefits Joe. Today they brought out Chris Matthews and I thought I heard a mention of Mark Halperin with regard to a quote. Click.

• Fire 1
57 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Today they brought out Chris Matthews and I thought I heard a mention of Mark Halperin with regard to a quote. Click.

Somebody behind the scenes must be pushing hard to resurrect these two creeps, Matthews & Halperin. 🤬 

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

Well I'm happy for Jonathan Capehart but there was something about Chuck Todd and trying to generate more interest from younger viewers that's either hysterical or nuts

I read it as they moved Toad and others to streaming to try and garner more interest from younger viewers. Including him in that at all is laughable though. I've never enjoyed anything about his presentation style and when I find out he's a part of anything I know to steer clear of it. He's a case of ick personified to me.

I really like Jonathan Capehart which I've said before and was when glad he finally got his own show . I was in shock somewhat the first time I learned that he was in his 50's though. He's always come off as younger to me.

I was glad to read that Ali Velshi is getting more airtime again. He's a real asset over there that they've never taken full advantage of IMHO. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 4
14 hours ago, tvchick said:

Schedule changes at MSNBC are coming next month:

new schedule

I like the changes so far.  Now if they can find someone to take an hour or two of the Morning Joe time....

I didn't see Nicole Wallace mentioned in that schedule.  Is she leaving or something?

8 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

It's too bad that Katie Phang and Ali Velshi aren't on during the week.  I miss seeing Ali every day and enjoy when Katie subs for Ari.  If I had my way, Ali, Katie or Ayman (or all three of them on a rotating basis) would have Alex's timeslot.

How about giving them a couple hours of the ego-filled Morning Joe? 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, izabella said:

I didn't see Nicole Wallace mentioned in that schedule.  Is she leaving or something?

If only. Nicholle continues to do her mini laughs while interviewing guests about serious matters, never forgetting to remind us of her time working in the WH.  Katy Tur would be excellent in this time slot. Or, my favorite--Heilemann.  I think we're stuck with NW.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, tres bien said:

Melissa Murray filled in for Ari last night. While she always makes a great guest as a substitute host she was awesome. 

We need more Melissa 

I'm sorry I missed that.

I wish I could look up who's on and who's guest hosting, because I honestly would watch more if I knew certain people were hosting and certain others weren't.

• Like 3

Right now I'm watching Alicia Menendez subbing for Wagner. I really like her. She's all business, a good interviewer. There's something about Wagner, I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just can't watch her show (unless she's not there). MrP914 says she does a good job now (initially he was put off by her demeanor or something, & attributes that to maybe nerves). 

• Like 1

I agree about Menendez! I like to take a break from tv news on the weekends, but whenever I watch Alicia M's show, I always like it.

And I also find Wagner incredibly off-putting. She always seems like she's trying to be cute, and I don't think she asks good questions, either. 

• Applause 2
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

And I also find Wagner incredibly off-putting. She always seems like she's trying to be cute, and I don't think she asks good questions, either. 

That's it! Trying to be/look cute. I think of the strong, intelligent female pioneers in TV news reporting, breaking through that glass broadcasting ceiling, when I see a few of the (meh) women anchoring several shows today. At least we have Alicia, Katy Tur, Erin Burnett, Pamela Brown (she really surprised me when I saw her go after cagey guests!) Who else is a strong, no nonsense interviewer?  Kasie doesn't have a show now. We liked her KC DC show.

• Like 1
On 2/10/2023 at 6:21 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Right now I'm watching Alicia Menendez subbing for Wagner. I really like her. She's all business, a good interviewer.

Did you know that Alicia is the daughter of New Jersey Senator Robert Menendez? I read that a couple weeks ago and was surprised.

• Mind Blown 2

People have been saying to me that Joy Reid talks too fast, and I never noticed it until yesterday. She was doing a live show from Florida, which I was enjoying, but she really was talking very fast. I can't tell if she's just a fast talker, or if she does it when she gets excited, or if it's because she's trying to squeeze more stuff into her time than she thinks will fit otherwise.

• Like 2