Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: All I Ever Wanted

AmandaPanda

Kind of.. bored by this episode actually.  This was a very Hannah centric episode and I can't. 

Also hating Jessa and Adam as much as possible. Seriously. Worst people ever. They were incredibly rude to Ray when he came back to the apartment which is half his, right? 

This was fairly boring,anticlimactic for a season opener imho. I get that this was an episode where we watch Hannah go to a surfing lesson to write but I found it really boring?  Also watching Hannah "dance" around on the club wasn't fun either. Nor was watching her throw up. 

I don't know who the surf instructor guest star she hooked up with either is so ill probably lose cool points.  

Soshonna and Ray are fun as roommates but it does kind of suck for Marnie. I don't want Ray back with Sosh but I want him to get far and away from anyone on these characters.

Marnie and Desi going through divorce proceedings wasn't even a good fight! I miss the days of fighting over tiny shelves! And yes Marnie you and Desi will never be Fleetwood Mac.  And then they start hooking up and i realize I'm done with every character on this damn show. Slow clap Lena, you burned the show. 

Kind of... eh. That's all. I was excited for this show to come back months ago and then the trailers happened and now this episode.. meh. Maybe I'll have more to say on this when other people have thoughts. I just.. the Hannah stuff was boring and pointless really, Marnie and Desi getting back together and having her be a cheater makes me angry, Jessa and Adam revolting as humans. I mean.. I have 9 episodes to go but Lena is really just digging the graves for all her characters. 

• Love 8

Hannah.  Hannah naked.  Hannah vomiting.  Hannah Hannah Hannah.  

I'm all in for the finale.  But seriously, this has been nothing but a vanity project for LD and I can't point to a single thing that would make her valuable in another project.  Can anyone tell me how this was progressive?

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Adultosaurus said:

Hannah.  Hannah naked.  Hannah vomiting.  Hannah Hannah Hannah.  

I'm all in for the finale.  But seriously, this has been nothing but a vanity project for LD and I can't point to a single thing that would make her valuable in another project.  Can anyone tell me how this was progressive?

The first season was good though. I think the following seasons were for sure a vanity project and also a sounding board for LD and whatever issue she wanted to have on it.

• Love 1

Hannah was published in the NYT? Give me a break.

2 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I don't know who the surf instructor guest star she hooked up with either is so ill probably lose cool points. 

That's Riz Ahmed, who was most recently in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. I wonder how many Star Wars actors Hanna will have had sex with by the end of the series.

I'm of two minds about Hannah's/Lena Dunham's exhibitionism. On the one hand, she *really* commits, and I admire that. But on the other, it seems too calculated to be as provocative as possible and isn't always organic to the story.

I've disliked Marnie for a long time now, but she's crossed into irredeemable territory when she brought coffee for herself and Ray but not for Shosh to Shosh's apartment. Who does that? Ray and Shosh were having such a nice time until she showed up. And yes, she and Desi will never be Fleetwood Mac. I'm sure Stevie Nicks never gave a hoot about a Bloomingdales registry and Lindsey Buckingham didn't have a "therapeutic surrogate for his spiritual journey". I knew she and Desi would get back together. He's the only person who is as self-centered as she is; they deserve each other.

Isn't the apartment Jessa and Adam are living in actually Ray's apartment? I seem to remember that he lived there first, then Adam crashed with him after Mimi-Rose broke up with him. Weren't we all outraged on this board last season when Jessa and Adam trashed the apartment as part of their sex games, because it wasn't their apartment to trash? Unless they're paying the majority of the rent, Ray is letting them take advantage. 

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 9

Yes the apartment is Rays. Actually it was Adams and in season 3 when he moved in with Hannah, Adam gave it to Ray and then when Adam was all I need space from Hannah, he stayed there.

This show is pretty much hate watching me for now and nothing else. And that makes me terribly sad. I wanted to like at least something.

Tganjs for telling me about the Star Wars guy! Like I said I'm not cool. But again that guy probably could be doing a much better character on a better show, right?

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2

I love Riz Ahmed.  I found  him weirdly charming with his deep philosophy and his surfer speak.  And of course Hannah thinks she can just move into his life.  Her sense of entitlement covers all spheres.   (Riz Ahmed was the lead in The Night Of.  A very different role.  He was excellent. )

Adam and Jessa are still the worst.  So points for consistency I guess?  They make my skin crawl. 

Shosh and Ray have so much more chemistry than Ray and Marnie.  Marnie, too, is consistent in her ability to only see herself in all situations.  And Desi continues to be the worst.  They do deserve each other.  They can spend their time telling each other how deep and thoughtful and talented they are, while shitting all over everyone else and making seriously mediocre music. 

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, Muffyn said:

I love Riz Ahmed.  I found  him weirdly charming with his deep philosophy and his surfer speak.  And of course Hannah thinks she can just move into his life.  Her sense of entitlement covers all spheres.   (Riz Ahmed was the lead in The Night Of.  A very different role.  He was excellent. )

Adam and Jessa are still the worst.  So points for consistency I guess?  They make my skin crawl. 

Shosh and Ray have so much more chemistry than Ray and Marnie.  Marnie, too, is consistent in her ability to only see herself in all situations.  And Desi continues to be the worst.  They do deserve each other.  They can spend their time telling each other how deep and thoughtful and talented they are, while shitting all over everyone else and making seriously mediocre music. 

The thing is, I never liked sosh, but she and Ray might be the only characters I like by the end of this show. Atbough.. eh, we've got episodes to go, soshsonna will find a way to get back to me annoying me some more.

I just don't get this show at all? I'm sorry but at this point I'm completely lost. All of these characters (except for 2) are garbage human beings. I remember last season having a discussion on this very forum about how while these characters are terrible human beings, I could agree with another poster saying I could see them as real life people in the world. Now I'm not so sure. I feel like every single character is a   Caricature. Ray sadly even suffers from this at times but at least in a majority he is set in reality, but he suffers too.

I mean obviously I'm here for the finale but I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate everything. What was a really great premise has fallen so down it doesn't make sense.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I first became aware of Rhiz Ahmed when I watched HBO's The Night Of.  He was awesome in that.  I would guess that casting him was a huge get for the show. 

• Love 4

A little disappointed in this episode.  I loved seeing Riz Ahmed smile and have fun, after the depressing slog that was The Night of.  However, I knew he would be gone in one episode, as people of color never last long on this program.

I really love the way all the ladies' in the surf school were perfect looking and athletic trophy wife types, but the cute surf instructor still liked Hannah.  I like the way Hannah revels in her body and does not hate herself for not living up to ideals (something a lot of twenty year olds are obsessed with, including myself at that age).

Where she loses me is with her personality.  Hannah, you are getting paid to "experience surf school".  This is a pretty sweet deal.  Her first impulse is to hide in her room?  I am sure she will still write an brilliant article and she really did look so happy when she was singing on the beach.  Hannah is on her way to being a more successful journalist then Rory Gilmore.

I do not think Lena Durham will have a successful career as an actor, since she can just play an exaggerated version of herself and little else.  However, I do see her being an influential writer...maybe she is going to be the voice of her generation (lol).

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 6

I first knew of Riz Ahmed from "Nightcrawler" as well, and then pretty much everything else he's done. He's very talented and very easy on the eyes.

And there was absolutely no reason that I could understand that his zen-master surfer boy would ever be attracted to Hannah. I think Lena D is cute and audacious and smart, but what Hannah really is is...gross.  I do appreciate her unabashed confidence in her imperfect body, and as a chick with an also imperfect body, I know we still get hot guys in real life, so that doesn't bother me, tho I could do with decidedly less naked Hannah. Especially the ugly naked kind, like climbing down a ladder after puking kind of naked. But the whining and lying, the blue tongue and mouth, the spilling the drinks all over the dress, the writhing on the floor twerking with her dress hiked up to show off her leopard granny panties, the disrobing in the middle of the parking lot, the vomiting, etc etc etc...why would this guy, who clearly could get any woman there, go for her? it's inexplicable. Plus, Hannah always seems as if she'd smell bad, even without vomit being a concern. Like yeast infections and sweat and unbrushed teeth.

I still like Jessa and Adam but they were complete douchebags last nite.

Ray red-penning Hannah's article made me laugh out loud. He and Shosh were having such a nice little civilized breakfast til Marnie barged in. And Marnie cheats again, so surprising. With Desi. Gross. how many scenes have we had now with Marnie on the toilet? I did like how happy she was for Hannah tho.

Elijah wanting to borrow Hannah's room for a networking orgy and her being so fine with it made me laugh. I love Elijah so hard.

Chelsea Peretti looked great.

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, nosleepforme said:

The article that Hannah wrote, I feel like a gossip magazine or a tabloid would publish that and not a newspaper.

The article was for the Modern Love feature in the Sunday New York Times Style section. I read it every week and actually I thought it was very fitting!

• Love 6

42 minutes ago, Momof2boyz said:

The article was for the Modern Love feature in the Sunday New York Times Style section. I read it every week and actually I thought it was very fitting!

Yes, I was going to say that too! I love Modern Love. They more often hit than miss but occasionally there's one that's more "Wha?" than "aww" but I could totally see Hannah getting published in that. They do a college contest every year and those are often sweet but the Modern Loves from much older people who have lived a little seem to pack more of a punch. 

• Love 6

I was just ehh on this one.

I do like Ray and Shosh together. Marnie is still annoying. Also, can Jessa and Adam be anymore selfish...I mean is Jessa lack that much self awareness that she doesn't realize Ray lives there and doesn't want her walking around naked.

Hannah always seems to go on trips and end up randomly hooking up with some random person we never see again. Love that she got published...her dad reading her article and crying was everything.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

Where she loses me is with her personality.  Hannah, you are getting paid to "experience surf school".  This is a pretty sweet deal.  Her first impulse is to hide in her room?  I am sure she will still write an brilliant article and she really did look so happy when she was singing on the beach.  Hannah is on her way to being a more successful journalist then Rory Gilmore.

She was sent by a magazine/website? called "Slag".  They don't want her to experience surf school -- the editor/readers want her to slag on those who do enjoy it.  It parallels later on in the episode when she tells Surf guy that she knows what she and her friends actually like -- she only knows what they dislike/slag.  Perhaps this season Hannah will learn to find likes and enjoy them. 

• Love 4

One thing that was cool. I liked Hannah communicating what was and wasn't working for her when they had sex. Yeah she was whiny but she was clear. My hip popped. I am not that flexible, etc. Don't tickle me. First season Hannah with Adam was a lot more passive.

And must admit I like Ray and Marnie's chill morning sex. But I love Ray and want him to be happy.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

She was sent by a magazine/website? called "Slag".  They don't want her to experience surf school -- the editor/readers want her to slag on those who do enjoy it.  It parallels later on in the episode when she tells Surf guy that she knows what she and her friends actually like -- she only knows what they dislike/slag.  Perhaps this season Hannah will learn to find likes and enjoy them. 

I get that, but that would require her to observe the people around her.  As usual, she was too self absorbed to really do that.  Is her story going to be the dynamic between the staff and the participants?  Is she going to talk about Montauk being an escape for pampered rich housewives and career women?  People who are ultra competitive, but not fulfilled?  Are they going to ruin surfing like they ruined yoga?  There were a lot of fascinating dynamics, but its all about Hannah.

I am realizing that Hannah being self absorbed and acting awful is her art and this is what fuels her work.  She might be more a performance artist then a writer.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Loved Ray's red pen.

Loved Elijah's plan for his career.

Loved hearing about Shailene Woodley's beauty tips.

Loved these GIRLS and their messy, messy lives.

"I'm going to fuck my way to the middle."

Yes I think the point is that these young women in their 20s are screwed up and repeatedly make mistakes.  They're not necessarily fated to be horrible people their whole lives.

Maybe they will gain some wisdom by the end, maybe they won't.

In the "Inside the Episode" LD, Jenny Konner and what's his name discuss some of the characters, like Marnies pattern of seeking drama, which is why she always bounces between guys.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, scrb said:

Yes I think the point is that these young women in their 20s are screwed up and repeatedly make mistakes.  They're not necessarily fated to be horrible people their whole lives.

Right, they're in that zone between girlhood and womanhood.  They'll grow out of it (by the end of this season, I imagine.)

I forgot one more thing I loved:  Shosh saying 'that's not very ladylike'.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, scrb said:

In the "Inside the Episode" LD, Jenny Konner and what's his name discuss some of the characters, like Marnies pattern of seeking drama, which is why she always bounces between guys.

I think Marnie felt left out at Ray and Shosh's exchange.  In Marnie's mind, she is so out of Ray's league, that it is crazy that she is jealous.  With Des, she is always the power player, because he is so needy. 

• Love 5

I enjoyed it, but did not love it.  I understand the idea of a hateable main character and have no issue with it, but Hannah needs to stop complaining!

I loved Marnie being perturbed at Shosh's apartment, Shosh and Ray had better end up together. Their rapport was so cute.

Still adore Elijah.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

I think it's pretty brave and I admire her for that. I would have difficulties exposing myself that way (and so does Allison Williams apparently). I do agree though that it doesn't always serve a purpose. I mean, it's fine for a sex scene or another scene that's about intimacy or daily life, but scenes like the one at the beach where she just flat out undresses herself or tans her lady area are a little bit too calculated to provoke a response to it. 

my only response is "I get it Ms. Dunham, you're not ashamed of your body, good for you, can we move on from that topic?" 13 year old me would be astounded that 40 year old me finds a woman's frequent nudity to be boring.

• Love 5

Man there was a lot of naked this episode between Jessa and Hannah.The extended scenes just seem unnecessary to me. And why did Marnie have to be on the toilet? Maybe I'm old and unhip but I don't get or need it. 

I wish there was more Shosh--she barely got any time last season and this was basically a fully Hannah episode. And of course more Elijah, please!

Riz Ahmed is hot. And I too LOVED Ray's red pen the most sugarbaker design! "Sloppy". hee!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Ray red-penning Hannah's article made me laugh out loud.

Me too!  And didn't he say, "lazy" or  "sloppy" something like that.  Great bit.

4 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I forgot one more thing I loved:  Shosh saying 'that's not very ladylike'.

That was great.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, jadecorleone said:

Im still trying to figure out if Im supposed to like any of the characters at this point in their stories. Just not finding anything. Of course it wont stop me from snarking on them though. Does that make me a bad person?

This is how I feel. I don't feel any sort of empathy for them but that's probably why I will snark on them and I'm sorry, at some point, these characters have become cartoon like to me.

• Love 3

I think Lena Dunham simultaneously over and under-estimates her viewers.  On one hand I think she's trying so hard to piss off/offend the segment of the population with whom she does not readily identify (I'm generalizing) e.g., primarily white conservative people.  I myself am not offended.  I don't care if she shows her vulva, or Jessa is naked or Marnie is presumably making number two on the toilet.  It's vulgar, but I'm not offended and I'm not clutching my pearls.  I watch this show as an antidote to The Walking Dead. 

Girls is supposed to be outrageous and that is why it is entertaining.  Although I do find some of her characterizations to be a bit trite, but that's okay.  I mean various outlets published articles about women having lesbian affairs in the Hamptons ages ago.  It's not new.  But I digress.  I would like to see more character development and MORE ELIJAH.  Good lord my heart broke for him last season.  Andrew Rannells is everything.  But seriously though, tell me more of the story.  I don't care if you're naked and vomiting while you're doing it.  Just get that over with and tell me the story.  Feed me more lines.  I want to know more.  Less hunkering down and eating sandwiches.

• Love 5

Riz Ahmed really is a great presence to watch on screen. His chilled out surfer persona is really different then the other characters I've seen him as, and he did a great job. Plus, shallowly, I think he's ridiculously hot. And he confirms the Star Wars actor fetish that Hannah apparently has going on!

Oh, right, the actual show. It was alright, kind of setting up a bunch of stuff that wont really matter for the rest of the season, mostly with Hannah being Hannah all over the place. I hope we get some real development from here this season, or else I'm going to be convinced that she randomly took her shirt off in a train station and got hit by a train while the shirt was over her head the second after the final credits roll.

I did like seeing everyone's reactions to Hannah's article, especially Ray. I laughed out loud when he smiled, then pulled out his red pen! Oh Ray, this is why your the best. I did like him and Shosh having breakfast together, until Marnie came over and ruined it. Classic Marnie.

I swear, I'm pretty sure this season will end with Hannah getting into her spaceship and flying back to her frequently nude home planet.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Loved these GIRLS and their messy, messy lives.

The messiness is probably why I - even when I dislike every darn character on the show - love it. Yes, it's a caricature and these people are time and again heinous creatures, but there's enough there that validates a particular experience; I recognize myself in the broad strokes, if that makes sense? I can laugh and/or cringe at the girls' self-centeredness and oblivious priviledge - but they are also me. Acute loneliness even amongst my peers, confusion, misplaced pride - the fear that I'll never be good enough, make it (whatever "it" means), that I'll never catch that elusive happiness everybody else seem to have down pat - those are the things GIRLS in its better moments mirror. 

So, yeah, I too enjoy the show very much.

13 hours ago, CofCinci said:

It parallels later on in the episode when she tells Surf guy that she knows what she and her friends actually like -- she only knows what they dislike/slag.  Perhaps this season Hannah will learn to find likes and enjoy them. 

I don't want the characters to become super enlightened by the end of the show - that won't ring true to life - but I want them to start becoming a bit more content. Not so frenzied in their search for ...whatever it is they're looking for. I liked this season opener for that reason alone: Hannah actually sounded like she had (small, tiny Hannah-like) epiphany.

• Love 10

qtpye: Hannah has sold *one* autobiographical piece, to the New York Times, and gotten a commission for a second from what sounds like the kind of website Rory despised. So she is at the very beginning of her career. Rory Gilmore was having a mid-career crisis after writing for the New Yorker, the Atlantic, and a bunch of others I forget. Rory in 2017 is where Hannah could easily be in six months, next year, or ten years from now. Freelance careers are always full of highs and lows, periods where you can't breathe for all the work that's coming in and periods where you wonder if you'll ever work again ("standard freelance panic" a veteran freelance told me in my first year). The real test of a freelance is how you learn to survive the lows - how you manage your money when you have it coming in, how motivated you are to work on more speculative projects when you have time, and, especially, how you manage your contacts, especially with editors you've worked with before (managing long-term relationships with editors is its own special skill). Rory did poorly with most of this, and it's not uncommon: she had a period of success and thought it would last forever. Marnie's going to go through the same thing in music. I remember hearing Diana Rigg - one of Britain's most successful and brilliant actresses - tell Dick Cavett about this same thing in acting and saying "If you can live through the downs..."

Edited by wendyg
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, wendyg said:

qtpye: Hannah has sold *one* autobiographical piece, to the New York Times, and gotten a commission for a second from what sounds like the kind of website Rory despised. So she is at the very beginning of her career. Rory Gilmore was having a mid-career crisis after writing for the New Yorker, the Atlantic, and a bunch of others I forget. Rory in 2017 is where Hannah could easily be in six months, next year, or ten years from now. Freelance careers are always full of highs and lows, periods where you can't breathe for all the work that's coming in and periods where you wonder if you'll ever work again ("standard freelance panic" a veteran freelance told me in my first year). The real test of a freelance is how you learn to survive the lows - how you manage your money when you have it coming in, how motivated you are to work on more speculative projects when you have time, and, especially, how you manage your contacts, especially with editors you've worked with before (managing long-term relationships with editors is its own special skill). Rory did poorly with most of this, and it's not uncommon: she had a period of success and thought it would last forever. Marnie's going to go through the same thing in music. I remember hearing Diana Rigg - one of Britain's most successful and brilliant actresses - tell Dick Cavett about this same thing in acting and saying "If you can live through the downs..."

Hannah also did that freelance piece for the online magazine in season 2. The coke episode with Eiljah. So it's not new to her to do one off pieces, this one just happened to be a print newspaper.

As for Marnie, I think the show was implying Marnie and Desi the musical career has failed. They were an opening act and apparently made no money because no one bought their merch. I know they worked on some sort of an album last season and had a song featured on Greys Anatomy but I don't think anything is going to come from that.

And in all honestly.. I kind of hope nothing does? I personally don't want Marnie and Desi to become super famous. Actually.. as far as career goals go, I wouldn't mind if Hannah continues to be a freelancer at the end of the show, like you said it's not steady work but it would honestly be more realistic to me if that happens. More so than probably what's going to happen her getting a book deal or getting her own column because she's so brilliant! SHES THE VOICE OF A GENERATION! As for Marnie, I honestly don't know what I want for her because the singing thing has always felt a little random to me and kind of something Lena and company put it in the show because AW can sing herself? It sort of started in season 2 as a joke thing, Marnie singing but then they made it a thing.I remember in an ATE videos, Lena said something about Alison having a good voice and she's going to constantly try and find ways to showcase it. So whatever. 

At least Jessa and Sosh don't have careers that will make super famous by the end of this show. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure in the last 5 minutes, we will get a montage of the successful careers girls have, Marnie will be selling out arenas and concert halls, Hannah will be writing her memoirs, and Jessa will probably have her own therapy practice and Soshsona will probably be head of company marketings and rebranding. Actually, Sosh is the only who I believe can actually do what her dream job probably is. She's the only one who seems smart enough and able to handle hard work. I know she had a blip last year but she dusted herself off and rebranded Rays successfully.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

my only response is "I get it Ms. Dunham, you're not ashamed of your body, good for you, can we move on from that topic?" 13 year old me would be astounded that 40 year old me finds a woman's frequent nudity to be boring.

But isn't that part of the point? Nudity can be very boring, it's not always sexual or attractive. That is one of the points they are constantly trying to prove in the show. They don't use nudity in the show only to provoke, but to partly be funny and partly to be realistic. People are naked while having sex. People are sometimes naked in their homes when they are not having sex. Frankly,  I have always found it very strange that people are so provoked by the nudity of the show. I think the show runners would be happy with you finding the nakedness boring. 

• Love 13
5 hours ago, wendyg said:

You are probably right.  What is hilarious to me is that you could not get further from the almost princess doll like Rory Gilmore perfection then Hannah.  I would love for Rory and her mother to run into Hannah and be horrified, in the most messed up cross over episode ever.  It would be awesome if Rory and Hannah liked the same guy and he picked Hannah. 

This makes wish that Alexis Bledel was cast on the show.  It would be so weird and cool to see her in this fucked up world, compared to the idealized fairy land of Stars Hollow.

All of the girls on the show are so uniquely horrible in their own way.  Marnie is so pretty...and that is about it.  She does not have a great personality and it would probably be a bummer to talk to her at a party, unless you wanted to date her.   She treats Ray horribly and always has.  I hate that he is like a love sick puppy dog to her and lets her boss him around.  She probably is attracted to the drama, because she is rather boring as a person. 

She is also the one who always has guys crazy about her, from Charlie, to Desi,  and now Ray.  I guess that is realistic, though none of the girls have problems attracting partners.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Kbilly said:

And why did Marnie have to be on the toilet? Maybe I'm old and unhip but I don't get or need it. 

I figured the Marnie/toilet scene was to illustrate that she really didn't care about Hannah's writing/success. All the other friends/family/ex were shown reading with intent and attention. Marnie read it because it was there while using the toilet.  She literally doesn't give a shit about Hannah's success -- especially while her music career fizzled. 

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

I figured the Marnie/toilet scene was to illustrate that she really didn't care about Hannah's writing/success. All the other friends/family/ex were shown reading with intent and attention. Marnie read it because it was there while using the toilet.  She literally doesn't give a shit about Hannah's success -- especially while her music career fizzled. 

I don't agree with this at all. I don't even like Marnie, but she seemed completely delighted about Hannah's column. She was beaming. Sometimes people just read while they're peeing, yo. It's not a sign of disrespect. If anything, Shosh and Ray and Jessa seemed more disrespectful to me (tho funny), what with the 'not very ladylike' and the red penning and the not even reading it (or so it appeared).

• Love 8