Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Baby Fat

• Start Topic

Glenn has a conniption when he learns of Whitney's pregnancy, and Babs tells everyone at the worst possible moment; Whitney covers Charlotte's gay pride festival for the radio station, but nothing can prepare her for fat-shaming at its worst.

So now Roy's girlfriend doesn't exist?? I guess since she makes up pregnancies, Roy can make up a relationship. I've heard from guy friends about women like Whitney. Women who refuse to stay in the friend zone lane no matter how many times they try to put her back there. I had one guy compare it to the brats who wouldn't stay on the naughty chair when Supernanny tried to discipline them.

• Love 16
1 minute ago, Nowhere said:

She is sexually harassing Roy. She said it's not plausible that he has a girlfriend. Why? What is she trying to say about Roy?

It doesn't seem plausible that she is an actual grown up but...

Is she somehow SHAMING Roy by insinuating that there's something wrong with him because he won't date her? Homegirl has no self respect. 

• Love 14

She is insane on so many levels. 

Getting on the scale at the doctors office and she weighs 371 instead of 380 like she thought. Cut to: "I've lost the weight and I'm happy."

wtf! While any weight loss is a success, losing 9 pounds at her weight isn't really something to be that excited about. 

Kudos to the doctor for being somewhat blunt about her weight. 

• Love 20

I am sure that she will somehow twist the doctors' words when she talks to others. No way will she take his advice and lose weight. And when he said that being a mother took energy (or however he phrased it) I had to laugh. Whitney already thinks she is in great shape and can do everything. She totally didn't understand that conversation. 

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

I call bullshit on the guy who said nobody would want to see her big ass on tv. Rewind and watch him walk away. Notice that he's mic'd. You can see the outline of the box on his lower back underneath his shirt.

I noticed that, too. I guess if we want good ol' fashioned reality TV, we'll have to watch Cops from 1992. Everything now is completely staged and only good for entertainment. Although I DO think Roy getting irritated with Whitney isn't all staged lol. 

• Love 10

He was absolutely plucked out. I've been to Pride festivals and the environment there is just so joyful and excited that Whitney wouldn't even register as someone to make fun of. Hell there are probably men there fatter than she is or at least close to her weight.

(At least for her weight. Now everything else however...)

• Love 12

@MAMADRAMA I just want to say how sorry I am for the loss of your child. My heart just hurts for you. ((((Hugs))))

I've been surprised by how much slack people on SM are cutting her because, as I've said, I think she faked the entire storyline, but perhaps it's too horrible to believe she'd fake a miscarriage because what kind of person...? Anyway, best-coaster here so five minutes and counting 'til this shit show. 

• Love 7

Roy's just not that into you Twit. Take a hint.

And Todd didn't want to be ridden because he's not insane. You've demonstrated some questionable balance issues completely separate and apart from your size. But what part of rolling around on the ground is "folk dancing"?

She's really busy trying to do every single stereotype for the Pride event. And Todd, way to throw some shade about it being her last event. If only you'd be braver and back that up. Twit, you are not going to replace the radio host. Let that lie dream go.

• Love 11

Wow, she really flat out lied about being invited to appear at the National Folk Festival and what a big deal it was being asked to dance in front of thousands of people! No wonder the Festival specifically denied it in both of the news articles about her appearance that I've seen. The organizers must be furious.

From the 9/10/16 Greensboro News and Record:

Thore and and her dance troupe will perform at 11:30 a.m. in Center City Park, before the National Folk Festival resumes at noon, according to Eleanor Schaffner-Mosh, deputy director of ArtsGreensboro, which co-produces the festival with the National Council for the Traditional Arts.

Thore's peformance is not part of the Folk Festival, Schaffner-Mosh said.

From the  9/11/16 Greensboro News and Record:

On Sunday, the downtown entertainment began before the festival even started, when Greensboro reality television star Whitney Thore made an appearance at Center City Park. Thore and her dance troupe filmed a performance for her TLC network show, “My Big Fat Fabulous Life.” It will be shown during the second half of the show’s third season, which starts airing in January, said Lisa Insana, one of its producers.

Love how the producer didn't even get the season right.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I just started the episode but I have seen some of the online comments. I lost a baby to SIDS 6 six years ago. The women in my infant loss support group are all up in arms about this episode. I despise the use of the word "trigger", considering how often it's thrown around these days. I think it's more or less lost its meaning and that people are using it ad nauseum. However, many of us who suffer from grief over infant and child loss DO have PTSD. (I, for one, went to wake my baby up and found that he had died in his sleep. Rigor mortis was already setting in. He'd been gone for a very long time. I have not been the same since.) The talk of pregnancy loss, false positives, etc. is really difficult on those women who are still in the early stages of grief. Me? I'm in a different stage in my life. I can handle it. But I feel bad for the other women who legitimately are feeling triggered. (Hell, for some of us just watching the damn Christmas Huggies' commercials is hard enough.) My support group is awesome. Hell, to break things up we even have #sexyJesusSunday where we share pictures of hot guys dressed as Jesus. So if these women had trouble with this episode then I cut them some slack. 

My point is, if she used this as a damn storyline for ratings, sympathy, her image, or whatever then I am pissed as hell. She was already on thin ice with me. 

I did love how she said she had so much going on, with helping the radio station and the folk festival and pregnancy. Bitch, please. No woman gets to sit on their ass and be the pregnant pampered princess the whole 9 months. We ALL had to work, take care of our kids, do housework, run errands, or some combination of those things. Your snowflake is melting, Whit. 

I am so sorry for your loss. And I agree, this entire debacle of a storyline is incredibly insensitive to any women who have had pregnancy/infant loss. Like, is she that desperate to avoid a story line involving her actually getting her life together that she has to resort to this? Pathetic. 

Her weight has affected her ability to function as a independent adult. She is basically an episode of intervention without the intervention. All these 'story lines' are pathetic attempts to distract everyone  from the fact she has an out of control weight problem and a probable eating disorder/food addiction. 

Also- all of her stupid ass comments on her fb page are pissing me off. her minions keep saying "im so sorry you have to deal with this publicly" ummmmm do they realize reality tv is a choice, she at no point is forced to deal with anything publicly. TLC let the Duggars completely not address major aspects of their lives, I am sure if Whitney wasn't a massive attention whore and wanted to deal with her cysts privately, she would have. 

OR she could have just said " omg i thought I was pregnant but it was just cysts" and NOT gone to a baby store and had the dramatic revealing of the news. 

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 24

SHOCKED, I tell you. I am SHOCKED!

Actually, not at all. This was pretty obvious where the pregnancy storyline was going and I'm glad that they just stated flat out that it was a false positive and that Whitless was never pregnant in the first place. For Whitney to go on and on to everyone around her that she was pregnant before she had a doctor confirm it was totally stupid on her part, but par for the course when it comes to her. And I was long since fed up with her angsting over how this was going to affect her life and her "career" and how she's just a child herself. I'm thinking "Heifer, you are 32 fucking years old. Time to get your shit together because there is nothing more pathetic than a grown woman (or man) acting like a teenager."

The one person that I wound up feeling sorry for was Lenny, because he seemed to be genuinely invested in the idea of being a father. I liked what he said about having a child changing your focus and wished that Whitney could have had a similar revelation. It was really annoying that she treated being pregnant like a massive imposition on her life, but then acting all sad when it turned out to be a false alarm. Bitch, please....

And yet another person telling Whiney that her weight is an issue for things that she may want to do (in this case, if she decides that she does want a child). Of course, she's not going to listen to him. And I'm calling bullshit on her weight being only 370 something.

19 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

I had a stillbirth and 3 miscarriages, and almost lost my one baby---bleeding and total bed rest while pregnant, and then as a cherry on top, he had cancer as a toddler (now 17 and the picture of health), so seeing this woman fake a pregnancy for "entertainment" just sickens me. 

I am so sorry for what you and others who desperately want to be parents and had difficulty have gone through. What Whitney did was totally disrespectful and I'm angered that she's lapping up all kinds of sympathy from her followers who are treating this like it's some kind of grand tragedy when she never wanted to be pregnant in the first place.

• Love 21

Oh, Whitney. It must be nice to live a life of denial and delusion. She is off her rocker. Please don't tell me that now that babygate is over they are going to move on to the next fake story line of Roy actually having the hots for Whit. The previews of Roy telling her that she's so smart and pretty, while she's batting her eyelashes, make me want to barf..

I like Whit's dad but her mom bugs the hell outta me! I can't imagine living with that woman forever. Dad must have a lot of patience to deal with these two. He seems to be the only voice of reason in the family and they completely ignore what he has to say. Wasn't he adamant about not wanting that pig? 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 14

I am so sorry to you women who had losses. It is a nightmare. When I first started trying I thought I had a chemical pregnancy because I had some early positives that then went negative, then my next cycle started way later than usual. I still don't know if I did, or if I wasn't pregnant at all. But because I was trying to get pregnant, it sucked to think I'd had a loss, even a very early one. And that's not something I wanted THIS stupid show to remind me of. And that was nothing compared to what you gals went through. 

Babs was horrible in this episode. Announcing Whit's fake pregnancy at someone else's birthday party? Wearing rainbow wings and a tutu to Pride? I see where Whitney gets that "everyone look at me" attention-whore streak. 

Whitney thinks Roy was making up a girlfriend? Even if he was, wouldn't that be a sign that he is NOT interested in you, because he MADE UP A GIRLFRIEND to avoid the possibility of dating you? God, Whitney is obtuse as shit.

Whitney at Pride sucked. She could not use the microphone at all. And then it wasn't even on. Maybe the mic spontaneously turned itself off when it heard Whit's voice. And yep, that "drunk hater" was mic'ed up. 

What I really don't get about Whitney is, she claims to love being big, love being fat, and yet some random drunk calling her big can supposedly hurt her feelings sooooo much. You are your own body shame, Whit. It's on YOU. You can choose to just think "oh, what a drunk dickhead," and move on with your life immediately. The problem is that YOU think that drunk hater is right.

• Love 24
6 hours ago, mamadrama said:

As someone who enjoys folk dancing and contra dancing, I am equally offended at her lies of being invited to perform at the folk festival. 

Anyone who takes dancing seriously will be offended by Whitney. 

30 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

What I really don't get about Whitney is, she claims to love being big, love being fat, and yet some random drunk calling her big can supposedly hurt her feelings sooooo much. You are your own body shame, Whit. It's on YOU. You can choose to just think "oh, what a drunk dickhead," and move on with your life immediately. The problem is that YOU think that drunk hater is right.

THIS! This is why her whole "No BS (Body Shame)" bit is such a crock. Because she's expecting the world to change in order to accommodate her choices (which in this case is to walk around in skin tight clothing looking like a parade balloon). Whether she likes it or not, people are going to judge. Hell, I'm judgemental as hell and I would be laughing my ass off at her and not in a nice way.

It needs to be about you not being bothered by what other people say or do and just live your life to your fullest potential. If she's going to wilt every time someone says something harsh about her weight, then that's on her in the end. You have to shrug off the idiots of the world. But if she's going to keep looking for approval from the world, then she's only going to be disappointed in the end.

• Love 12

Some "random" dude saying its a good thing she's on radio and not television....she IS on television. 

Wouldnt this  have been a time for her to consider that she is on TV, and has a show centered around her that is now in its 4th season, and LAUGH IT OFF? Anyone else would have said, "joke's on you, pal, and I'm laughing all the way to the bank." 

The Roy stuff is embarrassing to watch. Even more so than the rest of the show. 

Her whole thing where she showed up to interview people at Pride, and hadn't come up with questions--wouldn't a person who was actually freelancing for a radio station know to do this? I'd certainly think that someone with Twit's radio experience would anticipate the need and come prepared. 

• Love 10

In spite of everything, I still really like Whitney. I'm starting to feel really bad for her, even though I know it's her own doing. I mean, if you've sold your soul to TLC for a paycheck, and they are asking you to fake all these storylines and stuff, what do you do? She seems trapped. And I can understand - she wasn't making a ton of money until this show made her a reality star - so how do you turn your back on this? But she seems less and less happy with what she's being asked to do. I have to imagine that the Whitney we've seen would have responded to the fat shamer guy by saying "hey douchebag, I have my own TV show, so  kiss my ass!" But instead she's being asked to be hurt by it, pretend to be pregnant, push too hard on Roy at work, etc. Nothing seems genuine and she just seems trapped.

I think it would be great for her to get on something like "Dancing with the Stars" - it would jump start weight loss, she clearly does love dancing, and it would be something she could participate in outside of TLC. Honestly, she needs to begin a weight loss journey and what better place to do that than on her own TV show? It would be really relatable to watch her deal with the ups and downs of losing weight as a PCOS patient. She doesn't love her body less if she decides to get healthier.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

Yeah, the "fat shaming" dude was told to say it. Everything on this show is orchestrated. Even if Whitney didn't know he was going to say that, I'm pretty sure dude was plucked out to add drama by producers.

I bet he was one of the producers, just like the last time.

• Love 4

"Fat shaming" dude says it's a good thing Twit is on radio, not television.  All the while there's frickin' big tv cameras and crew standing right there in front of them.  And he's mic'd up.  How... spontaneous.  And random.

For you women who have lost children, I'm truly sorry for your loss.  For Twit and TLC to choose to do this storyline - they both suck.  Both of them had the option to say "no", but they didn't have the guts.  And probably didn't have the creativity to think of any other storylines to put out there this year, except for a fake pregnancy scare and a fake folk dancing exhibition.  I don't know what the heck you'd call whatever she and Todd were doing (country/western?  mixed with Zumba?), but it wasn't folk dancing.

Twit was the one who dressed her mom up like the rainbow fairy, so I don't fault Babs.  She's just an employee at this point, ensuring she gets her check for this mess.  And I'm sure Roy has to go along with the storyline that he's flirting with Twit, as Todd's family owns the station he works at.  I'm sure Twit sees him as Lenny #2.  Good luck, Roy.

• Love 10

I am totally disgusted by the comments on the show's FB page this episode. A lot of people who are sharing their experiences with infertility are being confronted with "just adopt! Be a foster parent! Keep trying! I had a baby at 45 conceived totally naturally! I have PCOS and I had three kids naturally no problem! I have two kids and I weigh over 300 lb, it was nothing!" Where the hell do these people get off? It just shows me how incredibly stupid the people who take this show seriously are. As if everyone's problems magically get solved in the same way things happened for THEM. This is part of the reason I hated her pregnancy scare storyline. I knew people would take this opportunity to either preach, or brag. Or both.

• Love 12

People tend to only be offended by what others say about them when they believe it's true...enter the "fat shamer" and Whitney's reaction.  

Also, is Whitney being a major hussy or is it just me? When she thought she and Lennie had a made baby, they were back to kissing and holding hands.  Then after the no baby news, like a day later, no more mentions of Lennie and it's all about Roy.  Take some time to sort out your emotions! Only a sociopath like Whitney could go from being in love with the father of her <nonexistent> child one day and pining over Roy the next day. 

• Love 13
13 hours ago, mamadrama said:

My support group is awesome. Hell, to break things up we even have #sexyJesusSunday where we share pictures of hot guys dressed as Jesus.

My heart goes out to you and the members of your support group, @mamadrama.  That being said, #sexyJesusSunday is the most brilliant thing I've heard in months.  There's a lot of shit going on in the world at the moment; I think we all could use a little #sexyJesusSunday in our lives!

Urr, on topic...?  ON WHAT PLANET was Roy flirting with Whitney??  She's so thirsty for him she looks at him like he's a 64oz sweet tea on a hot summer's day, and he just looks like he's trying to plan an escape route.  Next interaction we see on camera, I'm watching his eyes--if he blinks SOS in Morse code, I'm sending help.

• Love 17
13 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I lost a baby to SIDS 6 six years ago. The women in my infant loss support group are all up in arms about this episode.

Mamadrama - I have a friend who lost her child to SIDS.  It changes your perspective on life, and definitely needs more awareness.  I am glad you are in a support group.  Please know that you and your spouse/significant other have my sincere sympathy. 

17Wheatthins -Extending sympathy for what you have "experienced."   I can't fathom how you and your spouse/partner felt.  It's must be difficult to so badly want a baby and have such difficulty in becoming parents. 

While I've never been pregnant, the drama surrounding Twitney's "baby scare" also disgusted me.  It's pretty sad when a network has to sink so low to attract ratings.  I'm sure the Twit "knew" that she wasn't pregnant all along.  There was one scene, after her doctor looked at her sonogram and saw nothing (no surprise!) he was quite frank; he told her that in the future, if she was thinking about becoming pregnant, that by losing a considerable amount of weight would make her pregnancy much easier. (TLC filmed her being weighed in his office, I think she was around 370 lbs. and said she was excited that she lost some weight).

It was refreshing to see that someone discussed her weight issues directly.  You could tell by the way Twit was looking at him that it was going in one ear and out the other.  She'd probably never see him again, in her mind I'm sure she felt he was "body shaming" her. 

Edited by zoemom
punctuation, punctuation
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

Dear TLC and Whitney Way Thore,

On behalf of every woman who has either wanted to get pregnant but couldn't, gotten pregnant at the wrong time and decided to have the baby, gotten pregnant at the wrong time and decided to end the pregnancy, wished they could have more kids but life got in the way, or lost a baby . . .

Fuck. You.

This pregnancy-but-not-actually-a-pregnancy "storyline" has been the height of disrespect and disregard for people who have struggled with fertility or other deeply painful pregnancy issues. Most of us suspected that the entire thing was fake to begin with, but to milk this for ratings is inexcusable.  Once more for good measure (and because I'm still mad):

Fuck you, TLC and Whitney Way Thore.  You're both disgusting.

ALL. OF. THIS. My daughter once posted a pregnancy announcement on FB as part of an April Fools "joke." I don't think I ever cursed someone so much in my life, let alone my own child. I need to stop talking about it because I'm getting mad all over again.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, zoemom said:

It was refreshing to see that someone discussed her weight issues directly.  You could tell by the way Twit was looking at him that it was going in one ear and out the other.  She'd probably never see him again, in her mind I'm sure she felt he was "body shaming" her. 

I was thinking the same thing! Anyone who tells Whitney she needs to lose weight is the devil! Remember the ER doctor after she fainted? Whitney disrespectfully disagreed with her that her weight caused her to pass out.  I guess at least this time she didn't tell the OBGYN he was wrong, although you know she took none of what he said to heart. 

• Love 5

How the Maney, Roy and LauRen Show summed up Whitney's conduct on MBFFL last night:

In case you’ve missed the big news, Maney, Roy and LauRen are on the newest season of My Big Fat Fabulous Life on TLC!

Last night’s episode featured Whitney working at her first event on behalf of The MRL Show. Things took an interesting turn when while working, Whitney couldn’t remember the name of the radio show that she was working for! Also in last night’s episode: the hastag #WhitRoy started trending. But when Whitney asks too many questions about his significant other, Roy shuts her down!

Seems pretty clear that none of the three of them think Roy is secretly longing for Whitney.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

Dear TLC and Whitney Way Thore,

On behalf of every woman who has either wanted to get pregnant but couldn't, gotten pregnant at the wrong time and decided to have the baby, gotten pregnant at the wrong time and decided to end the pregnancy, wished they could have more kids but life got in the way, or lost a baby . . .

Fuck. You.

This pregnancy-but-not-actually-a-pregnancy "storyline" has been the height of disrespect and disregard for people who have struggled with fertility or other deeply painful pregnancy issues. Most of us suspected that the entire thing was fake to begin with, but to milk this for ratings is inexcusable.  Once more for good measure (and because I'm still mad):

Fuck you, TLC and Whitney Way Thore.  You're both disgusting.

Eh this is where, I can't believe I am going to defend Whitney - I kind of view myself the last one on earth that would defend her.

One of the biggest complaints on these boards and elsewhere is that the show is heavily scripted and not real. Well, the pregnancy scare was probably the most real thing that Whitney has shown (other than the ski fiasco). So what do people really want? To see heavily scripted or to see glimpses of the real? Myself, I like to see glimpses of the real. 

I don't think the scare was fake - I can't fathom that a doctor's office would also be in on a "fake," the reality is that PCOS and the havoc her body is in created the release of hormones to make a false positive - which is pretty darn rare. Now, do I think it should be cleared up earlier? Yes, I think with the power of editing that they could have done that, but did Whitney have control over that? No.

Now, would I as a person not have that in the open of TLC? Absolutely, but then again I would not be on a reality tv show. I have to think that for Whitney to allow that in she is trying to be authentic and "real" about who she is. Once it is filmed it is out of her hands. I imagine just like with the health scares last season, she was dreading this coming up (as evidenced by some of her posts) because it was emotional for her and she didn't have control over how it was presented nor could she "speak" out.

I have seen others criticizing why she was all bummed out all of a sudden, which I didn't think was a big deal either. When my cousin became pregnant unexpectedly but planned (she thought based on her family's history coming off of birth control it would take anywhere from 3-6 months, it took her almost less than a month), she went through periods of elation and oh god no. Heck, she still feels that way even though she would lay her life down for her son. I have friends the same way - sometimes it is just so overwhelming but the vast majority of the time they are so in love with being parents. Heck, I bred my horse last year and it had been about as planned as a pregnancy can be. When she was determined to be pregnant I was stoked, and then I was also like.. why did I do this. I felt that way all throughout the pregnancy and sometimes when my little filly is an absolute brat I think, why did I do this? But the vast majority of the time I am in constant love with seeing how special new life is (and this is about as maternal as I get).

Pregnancy issues whether they end up thankfully as all ok or those that end tragically are very real.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, preciousperfect said:

Getting on the scale at the doctors office and she weighs 371 instead of 380 like she thought. Cut to: "I've lost the weight and I'm happy."

I have not seen the episode but it's TLC. I don't believe it for one second she is only 371.

She has to be easily in the 400.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, lovetheduns said:

Eh this is where, I can't believe I am going to defend Whitney - I kind of view myself the last one on earth that would defend her.

One of the biggest complaints on these boards and elsewhere is that the show is heavily scripted and not real. Well, the pregnancy scare was probably the most real thing that Whitney has shown (other than the ski fiasco). So what do people really want? To see heavily scripted or to see glimpses of the real? Myself, I like to see glimpses of the real. 

I don't think the scare was fake - I can't fathom that a doctor's office would also be in on a "fake," the reality is that PCOS and the havoc her body is in created the release of hormones to make a false positive - which is pretty darn rare. Now, do I think it should be cleared up earlier? Yes, I think with the power of editing that they could have done that, but did Whitney have control over that? No.

Now, would I as a person not have that in the open of TLC? Absolutely, but then again I would not be on a reality tv show. I have to think that for Whitney to allow that in she is trying to be authentic and "real" about who she is. Once it is filmed it is out of her hands. I imagine just like with the health scares last season, she was dreading this coming up (as evidenced by some of her posts) because it was emotional for her and she didn't have control over how it was presented nor could she "speak" out.

I have seen others criticizing why she was all bummed out all of a sudden, which I didn't think was a big deal either. When my cousin became pregnant unexpectedly but planned (she thought based on her family's history coming off of birth control it would take anywhere from 3-6 months, it took her almost less than a month), she went through periods of elation and oh god no. Heck, she still feels that way even though she would lay her life down for her son. I have friends the same way - sometimes it is just so overwhelming but the vast majority of the time they are so in love with being parents. Heck, I bred my horse last year and it had been about as planned as a pregnancy can be. When she was determined to be pregnant I was stoked, and then I was also like.. why did I do this. I felt that way all throughout the pregnancy and sometimes when my little filly is an absolute brat I think, why did I do this? But the vast majority of the time I am in constant love with seeing how special new life is (and this is about as maternal as I get).

Pregnancy issues whether they end up thankfully as all ok or those that end tragically are very real.

Whitney may not have control over what is aired, but she was complicit in keeping the lies going, as evidenced in her posting of the "positive" pregnancy tests on Instagram about a week ago.  She knowingly fanned the flames, ultimately so she could get paid.  She's not an innocent party here, not by a long shot.  Just about every aspect of this show is a slap in the face to people who genuinely struggle with issues like PCOS, obesity, and all of the physical and psychological issues that come with them.  If TLC wanted to create a TV show that explores obesity, more power to them.  I've struggled with my weight for most of my adult life, so I get it and I want to watch people like me put in the hard work to overcome obesity and improve their lives.  Frankly, I would be inspired by such a show.  However, Whitney Way Thore is about the sorriest example of a functional adult that I have ever seen on TV.  She's a 400-pound, 32-year-old child with no discernible income (beyond a cable "reality" show) whose entire life is subject to ridicule that she openly invites upon herself.  Oh, and as for those "big girl dance classes," my 16-year-old daughter has led wheelchair-confined seniors through more invigorating workouts at the nursing home where she volunteers two days a month.   

YMMV, of course.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 21
3 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

Whitney may not have control over what is aired, but she was complicit in keeping the lies going, as evidenced in her posting of the "positive" pregnancy tests on Instagram about a week ago.  She knowingly fanned the flames, ultimately so she could get paid.  She's not an innocent party here, not by a long shot.  Just about every aspect of this show is a slap in the face to people who genuinely struggle with issues like PCOS, obesity, and all of the physical and psychological issues that come with it.  If TLC wanted to create a TV show that explores obesity, more power to them.  I've struggled with my weight for most of my adult life, so I get it and I want to watch people like me put in the hard work to overcome obesity and improve their lives.  Frankly, I would be inspired by such a show.  However, Whitney Way Thore is about the sorriest example of a functional adult that I have ever seen on TV.  She's a 400-pound, 32-year-old child with no discernible income or purpose in life whose entire life is subject to ridicule that she openly invites upon herself.  Oh, and as for those "big girl dance classes," my 16-year-old daughter has led seniors through more invigorating workouts at the nursing home where she volunteers two days a month.   

YMMV, of course.

No doubt. I think the posting of the pregnancy tests were not necessarily "encouraged" by TLC I think it was her preemptive I didn't lie about this because she knew people would think this was purely for ratings.

I found it an immature response for sure - but hell she acts like a 13 year old the bulk of the time.

• Love 3

The doctor seemed a bit hesitant to say what he did, but he's just being truthful and it needed to be said. I think she was looking at him the same way she looked at the ER doctor, total "listening with concerned face" ; I kinda chuckled. She has no intention of getting pregnant imo so I'm thinking she could care less about his advice to work on her weight (for getting pregnant or just to improve her health).

Is it just me or did it look like there was barely anyone in the crowd watching them dance next week? I kinda like that there's a "rival group" watching them and stepping up to Whitney. That could at least be fun now that the damn pregnancy storyline is done with. 

• Love 6

The dragging out of the pregnancy 'scare' was off putting for so many, but it may not have been quite as bad had she not had PCOS & increased hope in a lot of viewers. I was wondering if, during the doctor appointment, it was used as a tool to educate about false positives a possibility with PCOS. Even if so, it was not done with any sensitivity to viewers. It would've served that purpose better had the first show brought it to light & wrapped it up quickly, & people wouldn't be so angry with her or the show for milking it for ratings.

The lies with regard to the folk festival, & the very obviously mic'd up rude dude were really off putting, as well as her calling herself a dancer when she only has those classes during filming. Is Todd even a real dancer himself? They have promoted him as such but I'm doubting it.

To me the gym scene with Wil, with regard to the lifting, seemed somewhat real. I didn't think she could get away with doing something like that spontaneously just for the show since it would take some previous training. So maybe she really is working out on a more regular basis now.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 1