Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: XXIX

Bort

Wow, everyone came back looking fantastic. Good job, everyone.

Interesting symbolism of Eleanor immediately pricking her finger while doing the cliche scene of women sewing while men are out in battle. 

The show got me. I thought Madi's looks of anguish were a bit much at first, even though they had been showing her and Silver's growing closeness, but then it made more sense when they showed she and Silver had been already intimate.

Is there a reason Billy hates Flint so much besides Flint being Flint in general? Is it because Flint killed Gates? In any case, I'm liking the bearded, take charge version of Billy.

I like Ann Bonny's no-nonsense stance. It's suprising to me how much I like her now. The first two seasons she barely registered to me, now I'm rooting for her. 

Edited by ulkis

I guess there has been a long time jump between the finale and the premiere  because  I would imagine it would have taken months to year for Rodgers divorce to be finalized so he could marry Eleanor( I can't believe fricking  married her).  It also  explains Silver and Madi already being lovers at this point( because we all knew their relationship was headed that way, lol).

• Love 1

Yes. There must've been a time jump considering all that's happened. I wonder how long though?

I too can't believe Rodger's married Eleanor. She's certainly a survivor as they all are I guess. I still don't think she's particularly gaga over her husband. I think she's doing what she needs to do to stay ahead of the game.

Poor Silver. Talk about having a bad day. I knew that he and Madi were headed towards a relationship, but I didn't expect that. Wow. Their afterglow was sexy and hot. Interesting twist that he told her where the treasure is buried. She's definitely the wildcard Billy and Flint didn't expect when arguing over what their next move should be.

Good premiere!

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1

Yeah, the biggest surprise was Eleanor being married to Rodgers. Divorcing his upper class wife to marry a notorious criminal known for consorting with pirates? It doesn't seem very realistic. It's bound to have a negative effect on his career and social standing.

I'm never really sure which side I am rooting for when I watch Black Sails. There are individual characters I have more sympathy for like Silver and Billy but I can't really root for the pirates. I also can't root for the tyranny of English rule. The new British soldier seems like he's going to be a problem and some of the pirates are just men who were screwed over by the British Empire. It's a bit like watching Vikings in that respect. We know they are thieves and murderers but they still come across as sympathetic and occasionally likeable.

• Love 3

Please, no more goat screaming :(  Poor goat!

Very interesting that the women are all more or less on top - Madi, Max, Eleanor, Anne - in strong positions (Anne, Madi) or surviving well (Max until Rogers wouldn't give her money, Eleanor).  Of the men we started with, Vane is dead, Flint is on the losing end and becoming more unhinged as he struggles to stay in charge, Billy might implode, Silver is struggling to survive and Jack is having some kind of man crisis.

Interesting that Rogers is in charge of a bunch of deserters - did he go back to England to get his divorce?  He seemed to be telling Eleanor that he was basically supporting the war on the island.   I have a hard time believing they're in love - I just never got that vibe from Eleanor.  I don't think she ever loved anyone, not Vane or Max.  Maybe that's just because of Hannah New's performance.   Even though he stands for law and order, I just can't like Rodgers.  He has to be careful how much he lets his men cut ears off (poor de Groot).  He can lose control if he just stands by wincing.

I liked how Madi reminded Silver of what happened to all of Flint's friends, LOL.  I love crazy, obsessive Flint but the show is obviously setting him up to fall even harder, I just hope he gets a ferocious exit.   Since I feel like Flint is doomed, I'm rooting for good/happy endings for Max, Jack, Anne and Madi (so I guess Silver by proxy).  I do like Silver's journey and Luke Arnold has done a great job with the role, I've just never warmed to him completely. 

Edited by raven
  • Love 2

So glad this is finally back!

Eleanor is definitely doing what she needs to do to survive, as usual.  But I'm sure no one on that island believes that she's just the doting wife crocheting in the background and keeping her nose out of the island politics. 

I had to laugh at the look on Flint's face when he realized he didn't have the upper hand because Madi also knew the treasure's location.  He just couldn't get a win this episode.

• Love 1

As Vikings draws to a close, Black Sails is back to pick up the slack...

This was a good premiere, though the time jump was a little disconcerting: I would have liked more of a slow burn for Silver/Madi (I was looking forward to watching them fall in love) and the fact that Rodgers has up and married Eleanor felt pretty random. I'm already getting the sense that it's not going to be a particularly happy marriage: despite her insistence she's forever on his side, the fact that she's already being condescended to and getting shoved in the "woman's role" might have her chose to switch sides again.

And Teach is out for Eleanor's blood, so we'll find out soon what Rodgers holds to be more important: his wife or the success of his mission. 

Flint is definitely being set up for a fall - but then we knew that from the start. It'll be interesting to see how the alliance of Flint/Billy/Madi plays out, especially when Silver comes back to the fold. Madi surprised them both with the fact Silver told her the location of the treasure, shifting the power dynamics yet again. It's like watching Survivor - as soon as a man/woman form a romantic attachment, you gotta get them separated at all costs!

On 29/01/2017 at 7:31 PM, ulkis said:

Is there a reason Billy hates Flint so much besides Flint being Flint in general? Is it because Flint killed Gates? In any case, I'm liking the bearded, take charge version of Billy.

Well, there's also the fact that Flint chucked him overboard back in season one. Billy forgave him at the time, understanding that it was all part of the bigger picture, but it's not really something you forget, especially when Flint once again starts using his men as cannon fodder. 

I always enjoy Anne; she's so completely bereft of any sentimentality. Jack almost gets himself killed avenging Vane, and she's like: "he's dead, get over it."

• Love 4

It's back and it was glorious ! 

Cant go into further analysis and talk right now, I'm just floored away by the magnificence of this show ! I'm so thrilled for this, sadly, last season ! 

• Love 2

Very solid first episode out of the gate.  I liked how Silver's fate was strung out over the course of the episode and used to frame the rest of the action where everyone had to move forward on the assumption he was dead.  His eventual return from a watery grave will surely only add to the legend of the larger than life pirate king.

The grounding of the ships and the underwater shots of Silver's escape were glorious to look at, and all the little extraneous details and sound effects like the rapidly increasing heart beat really put it over the top.  You could really feel Billy's frustration rolling off him throughout the episode.  He's the one who's taken all the risk and put in all the work to organize resistance on the island and push the Long John Silver legend, not Flint.  Now Woodes has mostly broken that resistance through torture and Silver is believed to be dead, so he doesn't have much to show for it.  And Flint, having lost his ship, now thinks he should just hand over what organization he still has and take a subordinate role.  Throw in their long history of Billy mostly having to stand by and watch Flint do terrible things only to repeatedly emerge unscathed and I get why he's just done with him.

There was something kind of fantastical about watching Flint and Woodes throughout the episode each continually insisting that their side was on the verge of a great victory when it was painfully obvious that both men are just about out of ammo, forces, and options.  Flint doesn't even have a ship now.  His main partner and supporter is believed dead and Billy clearly isn't giving him anything if he can help it.  He's got nowhere left to go.  So for all practical purposes, he's just a guy.  Woodes is, I guess, effectively a deserter with the bulk of the British fleet having been recalled to the larger war with the Spanish.  Forgetting the implausibility of getting a divorce at this time period in England without having influential friends in Parliament to make it happen, he's dumped a wealthy and well-connected wife to marry a known criminal with few useful connections.  (Which should have been Eleanor's first clue that things were really not going well for him.)  He's deeply in debt and getting in deeper every day he's in Nassau.  The specter of debtors prison now looms back home.  And even if he doesn't know it yet, Blackbeard just killed a whole lot of his few remaining men. 

I love how bloody practical Anne is in all things.  Yes, they both loved Charles Vane.  But Charles Vane is dead and getting yourself killed in some attempt to avenge him or make him proud isn't going to make him less dead or change anything.  Blackbeard was quietly effective this episode with the little that he was given to do, both in acknowledging that Jack did need to have that fight and luring and then killing the British crew.

I'm assuming the man who found Silver at the end is our final book character

Spoiler

Israel Hands.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 6

Great show as usual.  Was this the first season opener with the pirates on the losing side?

That was a great tactic by Rodgers

So Rodgers and Flint were both deserters? Interesting development.  I was wondering why that British captain cut off Mr navigator's (can't remember his name) ear off.

Madi and Silver had been a partner since season 3 so I liked how Madi was able to figure out what Silver was thinking

Flint reminiscing on broken teacup was a good break from all the actions/chaos.  It was greatly acted as well.

I am a straight man, but damn those arms of Billy.  I want a pair just like those too :D

• Love 2
11 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

So glad this is finally back!

Eleanor is definitely doing what she needs to do to survive, as usual.  But I'm sure no one on that island believes that she's just the doting wife crocheting in the background and keeping her nose out of the island politics. 

I had to laugh at the look on Flint's face when he realized he didn't have the upper hand because Madi also knew the treasure's location.  He just couldn't get a win this episode.

Lil. I just imagined him screaming "SHIITTTTTT!" in his head. Lol

Did anyone catch when Eleanor told Rodgers that her family might be able to help him out. I am very interested in seeing how that will play out.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, FlowerofCarnage said:

Did anyone catch when Eleanor told Rodgers that her family might be able to help him out. I am very interested in seeing how that will play out.

Yup.  Even though I thought her father was estranged from the rest of his family.  I would like to see how this plays out 

• Love 1

That made no sense to me.  So if there is any remaining family, we're to believe they were content to sit back while Eleanor was publicly tried and condemned but they'll now intervene for her new husband who has apparently angered a fairly wealthy and influential family for divorcing their daughter?

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

That made no sense to me.  So if there is any remaining family, we're to believe they were content to sit back while Eleanor was publicly tried and condemned but they'll now intervene for her new husband who has apparently angered a fairly wealthy and influential family for divorcing their daughter?

Maybe she's planning on blackmailing them in some way? If she isn't lying, of course.

• Love 1

Nice to have the show back! Not really much to say since this did what a good first episode should: establish who is where and what they might be up to, and with who, and set up future conflicts. Favorite moment had to be Madi announcing that she knew the location of the treasure; it was a decent payoff for the flashbacks showing how close the two had become. And Tom Hopper's arms practically stole every scene they were in! Dang!

• Love 1

I enjoyed the premiere and didn't mind the time jump. (Though I wonder if they did that as part of making this the final season.) Poor Flint, he's really getting it from all sides. I keep hoping he and Billy can learn to get along but they seemed doomed to forever butt heads.

I can't say I understand the logic behind Rodgers marrying Eleanor. I think whatever pitfalls come from that, he's going to deserve them all.

On 1/30/2017 at 9:10 AM, DarkRaichu said:

Flint reminiscing on broken teacup was a good break from all the actions/chaos.

Am I right that they were back in Miranda Barlow's house?  I assumed that's why he was looking all around in that way and why he recognized the teacup.

On 1/30/2017 at 4:25 PM, Winter Rose said:

I can't say I understand the logic behind Rodgers marrying Eleanor.

Yeah of all the things that you have to suspend disbelief over in this episode, that is the toughest for me.  First of all his ability to obtain a divorce long-distance from an influential wife AND get word that she was using her family connections to ruin him financially simply beggars belief.  Just how long WAS that time jump?  And why bother marrying Eleanor?  She was already sleeping with him and I don't buy the idea that he loves her so much he just had to make an honest woman of her (because seriously, that ship has sailed.)

Despite that minor complaint, I really enjoyed the episode.  I was lukewarm on this show in season 1 but season 2 & 3 really grabbed me and I am looking forward to this final ride.  I'm really happy to have bad-ass Anne back, Jack is still my favorite, I'm loving take-no-shit-from-Flint Billy, and Long John Silver's story is really compelling.  Can't wait to see what comes next.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Yes, they were in Miranda's house, which they've been using as a safe house.  IIRC, the last time Flint was in it they were planning the rescue of Jack that ended in Vane's capture. At the time, Vane was playing with the tea cups and going on about how having such comforts would make a man soft.

• Love 3

I felt bad for the goat.

On 1/29/2017 at 4:38 PM, snowwhyte said:

I'm never really sure which side I am rooting for when I watch Black Sails. There are individual characters I have more sympathy for like Silver and Billy but I can't really root for the pirates

That's easy. I'm rooting for Flint. We basically know what happens to the other two, though I root for them too. 

Yay !!  You all are back !!  Great premier !!  Also, enjoyed the after discussion on demand.  Luke did a lot to prepare for that underwater scene !!!  That's why it looked so real -  

Edited by Valmarmar
cut it
  • Love 1

Really glad this show is back, though I'm sad that it's the last season.

The whole Woods/Elenoar marriage thing was a little out of left field but I guess we'll see how it goes. Since it is the last season, they should wrap up everyone's story.

I'm being super shallow, but Tom Hopper and his arms are just an amazing sight to behold.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

And why bother marrying Eleanor?  She was already sleeping with him and I don't buy the idea that he loves her so much he just had to make an honest woman of her (because seriously, that ship has sailed.)

I think Eleanor sort of addressed this when she said something about his men being more accepting of her as his wife than they were as his "woman".

another thing re: Woodes marrying Eleanor, the actual Woodes seemed like he was kind of a not a long-term strategic thinker.  

He drove the pirates out of Nassau but ended up in debt and in prison again I think.

So maybe the writers are going by that a little.

I detest Eleanor and Woodes and hope they both either hang, go to prison or both.

Woodes is like, "why don't these folks like civilization, it works great for me, a straight white male." 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

Finally watched it.  Great swashbuckling!

Did Madi talk like that last year?  In the same accent that Jessica Kennedy uses for Max?  

I don't think Madi knows where the the treasure is, that was to confuse Flint and keep her in the loop.  Otherwise from his viewpoint, she's just dead Silver's mistress.

• Love 1

Black Sails is beautiful to watch (especially in winter!) and I love the struggle between Flint/pirate view of self-governance vs. the more intrusive "civilization," and the way the struggle is shaping up this season. But we all know what eventually happens, and *why* it happens. So I struggle with the lack of a more detailed vision on the pirate side of why their view of the world is better for everyone. If you are married and have a teen daughter, for instance, would you want to live in a pirate-governed Nassau? And if you say "of course not, don't want any of those people," then aren't you soon excluding all kinds of potential assets whose skills or knowledge might help Nassau succeed? Leaders like Flint should recognize that. I would like to see it addressed more in the show ... unless that's part of the fatal flaw that dooms the pirates. That and Flint being hellbent for revenge and winning at this point. To come so close indeed.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Otherwise from his viewpoint, she's just dead Silver's mistress.

She wouldn't be a mistress unless Silver was married. 

2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I don't think Madi knows where the the treasure is, that was to confuse Flint and keep her in the loop.  Otherwise from his viewpoint, she's just dead Silver's mistress.

This would be a hell of a bluff. However, I think she knows. If she's who many think she is, then this falls right in line with the dynamic of a specific relationship mentioned in TI.

Whether Madi knows where the treasure is hidden or not though, I do think she's still a critical ally in the war. With most of the men being lost or captured when the ship went down it was mentioned that they could restore their numbers by recruiting slaves from the Underhill Plantation. Madi will be needed for that recruitment to be successful. Also, I think she still has weapons and allies in Nassau who could be potential assets in the war. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Enero said:

She wouldn't be a mistress unless Silver was married. 

This would be a hell of a bluff. However, I think she knows. If she's who many think she is, then this falls right in line with the dynamic of a specific relationship mentioned in TI.

Whether Madi knows where the treasure is hidden or not though, I do think she's still a critical ally in the war. With most of the men being lost or captured when the ship went down it was mentioned that they could restore their numbers by recruiting slaves from the Underhill Plantation. Madi will be needed for that recruitment to be successful. Also, I think she still has weapons and allies in Nassau who could be potential assets in the war. 

Spoiler

Jon Stenberg confirmed in a podcast that she is who you think she is.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, meep.meep said:

If that is all Madi is to Flint, he is really full of himself. Part of this alliance he is afraid won't hold includes Madi's men. They are following her not him. Flint has to know this and that she is so much more than Silver's friend (he doesn't seem to know the depth of their relationship).

• Love 1
8 hours ago, GodsBeloved said:

If that is all Madi is to Flint, he is really full of himself. Part of this alliance he is afraid won't hold includes Madi's men. They are following her not him. Flint has to know this and that she is so much more than Silver's friend (he doesn't seem to know the depth of their relationship).

I don't think Flint views Madi as just Silver's girlfriend. He knows her role and how important the alliance is to his end goal of getting Nassau under Pirate Control. I think the fact that Flint reached out to Madi (ever so awkwardly) shows how important she is to him (his goal). 

I have to admit, I wasn't digging Madi this episode.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:10 AM, DarkRaichu said:

I am a straight man, but damn those arms of Billy.  I want a pair just like those too :D

There are many thing that keep me coming back to this show. The plot, the characters, the time period, etc. But even if all those were utter crap, I would keep coming back for Tom Hopper and his amazing arms. Yowza.

• Love 1
On 2/1/2017 at 3:37 PM, FlowerofCarnage said:
  Hide contents

Jon Stenberg confirmed in a podcast that she is who you think she is.

I admit Ive been worried that Max would end up filling that role. I really like the chemistry between Silver and Madi.

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:58 AM, FlowerofCarnage said:

I guess there has been a long time jump between the finale and the premiere  because  I would imagine it would have taken months to year for Rodgers divorce to be finalized so he could marry Eleanor( I can't believe fricking  married her).  It also  explains Silver and Madi already being lovers at this point( because we all knew their relationship was headed that way, lol).

I don't believe there was a "divorce" or a "marriage" --- not in the modern day sense. They are "married" on the island only. Didn't Woods say when he asked for a divorce his wife's wealthy family stepped in and demanded he pay all his debts? (Maybe that's in the next ep where he says that? I am late to the game as always) and since he can't pay them at the moment he isn't legally divorced. Besides getting an actual legal divorce was hard if not impossible at that time. When I read about other historical characters --- that seemed to be one of those things they did--- move to a different place and "marry" someone new. Not sure though--- just speculating.

Anyway-- I like Max and Silver. There . I said it.

Also PLEASE don't kill Eleanor! She is a strong smart woman with gumption-- why should she be punished when half the other characters (I'm looking at you Anne Bonny and Flint and yes-- even Silver) who have done heinous things but they don't get the hate-on that Eleanor gets. For once I want a strong smart woman who isn't afraid to go after what she wants to NOT be punished for it.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, taanja said:

Also PLEASE don't kill Eleanor! She is a strong smart woman with gumption-- why should she be punished when half the other characters (I'm looking at you Anne Bonny and Flint and yes-- even Silver) who have done heinous things but they don't get the hate-on that Eleanor gets. For once I want a strong smart woman who isn't afraid to go after what she wants to NOT be punished for it.

Yeah, I can take or leave Eleanor but I don't think Teach of all people should be the one to exact revenge in the name of Vane on her. I know the show has told us that Teach loved Vane like a son, but I don't think they did a great job showing that bond.

14 hours ago, taanja said:

To me Eleanor is NOT a strong woman.  The only reason she has anything is because of her white skin and wealthy family.  Max was a former slave and has accomplished a lot considering.  I wonder how Eleanor would have done had she not been white.

I think she's kind of just smart to hang around, but a lot of it has been because she's attached herself to the right men imo rather than Max, who seems to have much more of a strategic mind. 

• Love 2