Type keyword(s) to search

Well, That Wouldn't Work Now: Things From Movies That Are Outdated or No Longer Politically Correct

• Start Topic

There was some recent show where an older brother took his younger sister to get an abortion because he was so ashamed she was pregnant, and she didn't even understand what was happening to her until she was on the table, and then she couldn't have children. I can't remember what the show was but it was good.

(edited)
6 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

There was some recent show where an older brother took his younger sister to get an abortion because he was so ashamed she was pregnant, and she didn't even understand what was happening to her until she was on the table, and then she couldn't have children. I can't remember what the show was but it was good.

Could be Yellowstone, although IIRC, it was the sister's decision to get an abortion, but it was the brother's decision to take her to a place where they'd sterilise her as well. 

Edited by Ceindreadh
1 hour ago, Ceindreadh said:

Could be Yellowstone, although IIRC, it was the sister's decision to get an abortion, but it was the brother's decision to take her to a place where they'd sterilise her as well. 

Thank you! It was Yellowstone, and I think you have it right.

(edited)
On 5/6/2023 at 8:27 PM, Trini said:

I am surprised Revenge of the Nerds isn't included in this list. At one point in the movie, the "nerds" set up hidden cameras and watch the sorority girls naked around their house, and later, one character pretends to be the sorority girl's boyfriend (in costume) and has sex with her. That's rape, full stop.

Edited by RunningMarket
  • Like 8
  • Mind Blown 1

Another list; this one doesn't get too deep into the reasons why, but all have things that are WAY more offensive or problematic to today's sensibilities: 'Movies That Couldn’t Be Made Today'

Sorry it's in a slideshow format, but here's their list:

• White Chicks (2004)
  • Soul Man (1986)
  • Rush Hour Trilogy (1998)
  • Sixteen Candles (1984)
  • Tropic Thunder (2008)
  • Bulworth (1998)
  • Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002)
  • Pocahontas (1995)
  • Driving Miss Daisy (1989)
  • Silver Streak (1976)
  • Revenge of the Nerds (1984)
  • Juwanna Mann (2002)
  • The Nutty Professor (1996)

I'd quibble that a couple of these would still be attempted today.

With Juwanna Mann on there (wow- I'd forgotten it came out that recently!), we can probably add Ladybugs (1992) for also having the trope of 'man(boy) dresses as woman(girl) to play on a team'.

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Another list; this one doesn't get too deep into the reasons why, but all have things that are WAY more offensive or problematic to today's sensibilities: 'Movies That Couldn’t Be Made Today'

Sorry it's in a slideshow format, but here's their list:

I'd quibble that a couple of these would still be attempted today.

With Juwanna Mann on there (wow- I'd forgotten it came out that recently!), we can probably add Ladybugs (1992) for also having the trope of 'man(boy) dresses as woman(girl) to play on a team'.

I think that you could probably remake Rush Hour. As long as you dial back the stereotyping from the Chris Tucker character. Because it is not like Hollywood would shy away from a movie that could potentially play well in China. The hardest part would be finding a suitable replacement for Jackie Chan. 

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Trini said:

I think that the basic premise of some of them absolutely could not be made today, such as Soul Man where the entire premise of fucked up.  I mean even back in 1986 we were side-eyeing this movie.

But quite a few on the list, the movies themselves are not an issue they just have some problematic scenes or elements that could be excised completely and still keep the plot and theme of the film intact.  I mean, yeah if we kept them exactly as is they wouldn't be greenlit, but the way the article is written they seem to suggest that the whole movie is problematic.

I am think of Sixteen Candles which at is at its' core simply a girl whose 16th birthday has been hijacked by a lot of different chaotic elements.  That could still 100% work just get rid of the problematic parts.

Driving Miss Daisy could definitely still be made.  I think it it less the subject matter/plot and more whether they think  investing in more movies like that. It is 100% Oscar bait so maybe.

Also, Austin Powers -- huh?  Their reasoning for including that is flawed.  It is a parody of the James Bond movies. It does what parodies are supposed to do which is exaggerate and sends up the identifiable elements of the entity it is parodying.  Of course there will be inappropriate womanizing.  That is what James Bond does.  Of course it could still get made today.

• Like 14
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Also, Austin Powers -- huh?  Their reasoning for including that is flawed.  It is a parody of the James Bond movies. It does what parodies are supposed to do which is exaggerate and sends up the identifiable elements of the entity it is parodying.  Of course there will be inappropriate womanizing.  That is what James Bond does.  Of course it could still get made today.

This is similar to why I think there'd be no problem with Tropic Thunder being made today.  Robert Downey Jr.'s character is SUPPOSED to be offensive, and the whole "full r*****" speech is dissing actors who play roles as disabled people specifically to try and get nominated for awards.  Most of the criticism of that movie is based on not actually understanding it.

• Like 10
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

This is similar to why I think there'd be no problem with Tropic Thunder being made today.  Robert Downey Jr.'s character is SUPPOSED to be offensive, and the whole "full r*****" speech is dissing actors who play roles as disabled people specifically to try and get nominated for awards.  Most of the criticism of that movie is based on not actually understanding it.

The problem would be getting an actor who has to worry about being cancelled because of the role 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Raja said:

The problem would be getting an actor who has to worry about being cancelled because of the role 

Well, Downey didn’t get cancelled for doing it…because that saw the movie knew that was the whole point: to satirize that performative part of the industry. And everyone in the movie flat-out said that a white actor using blackface is not okay no matter how deeply he immerses himself in it.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I think that the basic premise of some of them absolutely could not be made today, such as Soul Man where the entire premise of fucked up.  I mean even back in 1986 we were side-eyeing this movie.

I can't see Pocohantas ever getting made, especially in the form that Disney made it into. 

The fundamental problem with trying to do Revenge of the Nerds is that every frat boy you meet, even if they're a gym rat, is also a major nerd. Technology has bridged that divide.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, DearEvette said:

And by using the author's logic, you couldn't keep making Bond movies period.  Except they still totally do.  We all know the franchise's track record with the portrayal of women and gender roles is atrocious, and it's not like even the most recent entries into the catalog aren't without their flaws, but it has shifted somewhat to appeal to modern sensibilities.  (It's not that difficult when the bar is on the floor.)  The premises of the films in and of themselves aren't the issue.  You can still have your spy adventures and your cool gizmos and your big set piece fight sequences.  You just can't have Bond raping Pussy Galore anymore.  It doesn't seem like that bad a trade off to me.

• Like 3
(edited)

Austin Powers could be funny if you made it a send-up of 1980's/1990's Sylvester Stallone/Arnold Schwarzenegger type movies.

But then Arnold already did that brilliantly with Last Action Hero, so...eh.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Well, Downey didn’t get cancelled for doing it…because that saw the movie knew that was the whole point: to satirize that performative part of the industry. And everyone in the movie flat-out said that a white actor using blackface is not okay no matter how deeply he immerses himself in it.

Right.  I think the blackface is the only thing in Tropic Thunder where there might be some discussion about leaving it out.  It's not that it was any more acceptable in 2008.  It wasn't.  They "got away with it" because they were clear that it was wrong.  I think the only thing that has changed in the ensuing years is the discussion of whether or not it's ever acceptable, even if the point is to lampoon its wrongness.

17 hours ago, DearEvette said:

But quite a few on the list, the movies themselves are not an issue they just have some problematic scenes or elements that could be excised completely and still keep the plot and theme of the film intact.

I agree.  "Couldn't be made today" lists always bother me because I think almost all of them could be made today.  Sometimes, it's by getting rid of one of the worst elements.  Other times, people flat out ignore that many people are making comedies featuring deeply offensive people where the comedy is the audience laughing at how deeply awful these characters are.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

What is the problem with Pocahontas? I don't get it. 

The author mentions John Smith as a White Savior and that he's voiced by Mel Gibson; but I think today they wouldn't have made it a love story between Pocahonts and Smith.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, Trini said:

The author mentions John Smith as a White Savior and that he's voiced by Mel Gibson; but I think today they wouldn't have made it a love story between Pocahonts and Smith.

Thanks, well I give you Mel Gibson, though I don't think he would have voiced the character now. 

Regarding the love story, I know the age difference of the real people was definitely not something fit for a relationship, but since the story was changed so much from the real history, I kind of took it as an extreme case of Disneyfication and judge the movie on its own. I'm not sure what her official age in the movie is supposed to be, but she looks at least 18 to me.

On the other hand, I side-eye the fact that they have been the first interracial couple* in Disney and at the same time the first to not end up together at the end of the movie. That is more of a criticism of the entire Disney canon than this movie I guess.

*And it's a real shame that there is still not any lasting interracial couple among Disney princesses, unless we count the Pocahontas sequel. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. The only one I can think of are Esmeralda and Phoebus from The Hunchback of Notre Dame and she is not an official Disney princess (that would be a separate issue I have with them regarding who counts and who doesn't, though that would be for another thread.)

• Like 3

Let’s talk about American Pie. I like those movies, but what they did to Nadia was fucked up. Sure they didn’t mean to send the video to the entire school, but using a webcam to spy on her in the first place isn’t that much better! And even though Jim was publicly humiliated, Nadia was the only one to suffer any real consequences by getting sent back to her country by her sponsors!

We’re supposed to believe that Nadia wouldn’t be pissed off at Jim for that? That she would still want to hook up, much less keep in contract after that? Really!?!

• Like 7
On 7/7/2023 at 12:09 PM, JustHereForFood said:

And it's a real shame that there is still not any lasting interracial couple among Disney princesses, unless we count the Pocahontas sequel. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. The only one I can think of are Esmeralda and Phoebus from The Hunchback of Notre Dame and she is not an official Disney princess (that would be a separate issue I have with them regarding who counts and who doesn't, though that would be for another thread.)

Tiana and Prince NAVEEN!!!! She’s ADOS and Naveen is an Indian name, I’m assuming he’s from a fictional India, he’s not ADOS or of African descent.Disney Princess Love GIF by Disney

On a separate note- I saw this article and wondered what you guys thought of it, I know many people have strong opinions of Shallow Hall, but the experience of the body double doesn’t surprise me. 

• Like 2
On 7/8/2023 at 1:21 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Let’s talk about American Pie. I like those movies, but what they did to Nadia was fucked up. Sure they didn’t mean to send the video to the entire school, but using a webcam to spy on her in the first place isn’t that much better! And even though Jim was publicly humiliated, Nadia was the only one to suffer any real consequences by getting sent back to her country by her sponsors!

We’re supposed to believe that Nadia wouldn’t be pissed off at Jim for that? That she would still want to hook up, much less keep in contract after that? Really!?!

My friends just did a review of American Pie for their podcast and YES!!!!!👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

I also couldn’t believe that Jim’s Dad never ripped him a new one for FILMING a woman without her consent. That was such a scumbag thing to do, and I think the writers thought they were being “progressive” because Jim was socially humiliated, but given how well Natasha Lyonne’s character was written, she would’ve been the one to point out what a jerk he was (and a criminal, although the laws hadn’t been updated yet). 

• Like 3

I was just reading one of those "movies that have aged badly" lists.  I don't even know why I clicked on it.  It's always the same movies over and over again presented as if that particular website is the first media outlet to declare that Gone with the Wind and Breakfast at Tiffany's have issues.  

Now, one that I don't really have a problem with on the list is Clueless.  Maybe I'm weird but I don't think it's gross that Cher and Josh start dating at the end.  They're not actually related nor did they even grow up together as step siblings.  That's a live and let live situation as far as I'm concerned.  

• Like 9
49 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

They're not actually related nor did they even grow up together as step siblings.  

Cher even said that her father and his mother were "barely" married and it was, i forget exactly how many, years earlier.

• Like 5
On 6/11/2022 at 11:01 PM, Milburn Stone said:

Yeah, I always think of this movie as the poster child for this category.

@Ms Blue Jay, were you in the adult moviegoing public when it came out? I was; maybe you were too. For those who weren't, all I can say is, people loved the movie. I know of no one at the time who looked askance at it. The ending was unambiguous, and unambiguously received. Two crazy people in love who weren't going to let convention stand in their way! Goosebumps! 

I was an adult and found it problematic at the time. Did not understand the adulation. 

• Useful 1
On 4/29/2023 at 3:30 PM, greekmom said:

Add Clueless and Fast Times at Ridgemont High to the list.

I was going to add Fast Times. I tried to watch it recently, and I couldn’t stomach the sexualizing of the teen girls. I guess Sean Penn’s stoner would still be funny, but I couldn’t stick around to watch. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Now, one that I don't really have a problem with on the list is Clueless.  Maybe I'm weird but I don't think it's gross that Cher and Josh start dating at the end.  They're not actually related nor did they even grow up together as step siblings.  That's a live and let live situation as far as I'm concerned.  

Yeah I’m fine with Clueless (it’s one of my favs actually). Yes- he is older, but given the totality of the circumstances it’s not predatory at all, her father knows about it, it’s fine. 

13 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Cher even said that her father and his mother were "barely" married and it was, i forget exactly how many, years earlier.

Five years earlier for a hot second (probably a year or less). Mel said “you divorce wives, not children”, Josh clearly had a lot of respect for Mel, and Mel showed him a great deal of affection and care. But Cher and Josh didn’t have a sibling relationship and he was in no way predatory towards her. He’s a bit older than I would prefer but, at the end of the movie she’s 16 and he’s 19. I’m not offended by it. 

• Like 9

I don't like their relationship (the maturity difference is huge, even though she grows up a little at the end of the movie) and think it's going to make things awkward for Josh and Mel (who do have a father/son relationship, even though Josh and Cher don't have a sibling relationship) when they break up, but I don't think the relationship is at all predatory.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:57 AM, Bookish Jen said:

I'm not surprised about this behavior. I follow a young woman on TikTok, a Latina, who has been very honest about all the toxicity she had to deal with as a woman of color in this business.

Did this show ever appear?  I don’t recall seeing it. 

Putting Josh and Cher's relationship aside, Clueless does have language that would need to be altered for this day and age.  Take the description of Christian by Murray: "Your man Christian is a cake boy!" and continues, "He's a disco-dancing, Oscar Wilde-reading, Streisand ticket-holding friend of Dorothy"

Has anyone mentioned Little Darlings? 

On 8/29/2023 at 5:54 PM, greekmom said:

Putting Josh and Cher's relationship aside, Clueless does have language that would need to be altered for this day and age.  Take the description of Christian by Murray: "Your man Christian is a cake boy!" and continues, "He's a disco-dancing, Oscar Wilde-reading, Streisand ticket-holding friend of Dorothy"

Has anyone mentioned Little Darlings? 

There is an LGBTQIA+ friendly establishment where I live called Friends of Dorothy. They do drag brunches. (Apparently the cocktails are good, but I digress.)

• Like 3
On 8/29/2023 at 9:50 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah I’m fine with Clueless (it’s one of my favs actually). Yes- he is older, but given the totality of the circumstances it’s not predatory at all, her father knows about it, it’s fine. 

Five years earlier for a hot second (probably a year or less). Mel said “you divorce wives, not children”, Josh clearly had a lot of respect for Mel, and Mel showed him a great deal of affection and care. But Cher and Josh didn’t have a sibling relationship and he was in no way predatory towards her. He’s a bit older than I would prefer but, at the end of the movie she’s 16 and he’s 19. I’m not offended by it. 

I liked Mel a lot for saying that and meaning it. So many divorce and that's it. They never see their stepchild or stepparent again. I like that Mel wasn't that way. While I didn't like Clueless (I know tomatos thrown at me) I don't really think they had much of a relationship while their parents were married. They knew each other long after the divorce then during the marriage. Maybe because it's Hollywood and they seem to marry and divorce all the time it didn't seem that weird to me that Cher and Josh ended up together at the end.

• Like 5
On 8/29/2023 at 12:24 PM, Bastet said:

I don't like their relationship (the maturity difference is huge, even though she grows up a little at the end of the movie) and think it's going to make things awkward for Josh and Mel (who do have a father/son relationship, even though Josh and Cher don't have a sibling relationship) when they break up, but I don't think the relationship is at all predatory.

Possibly, but Mel could see their attraction before they were even willing to admit it and obviously approved.  In the scene where she went to the party with Christian, Josh was concerned because he didn't like Christian.  He offered to go and watch her, but didn't want to leave Mel hanging.  After Mel insisted and Josh left the room, Mel gave a knowing smile.  I think he liked and respected Josh enough to trust that he would be good to Cher and was willing risk their relationship. 

• Like 5
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I think he liked and respected Josh enough to trust that he would be good to Cher and was willing risk their relationship. 

I don't think it's going to be awkward for him that they're dating, just that it's going to be awkward once they break up.  A man who still regards as his son the guy whose mom he was married to for about five minutes will do the work to maintain that relationship - I don't think he's remotely willing to risk his relationship with Josh over two teenagers dating - so it's not going to be a long-term problem.  But it is going to be a challenge (especially if Josh winds up wanting to break up and Cher doesn't, so she's angry and sad) at first. 

Fundamentally, I enjoy them squabbling as former step-siblings than I do them dating, as I don't buy them falling for each other in the first place, plus the maturity gap remains significant even after she finally grows up some.  But it's just a relationship I don't like, and find a little weird -- I don't see anything predatory about Josh.

• Like 3

I listen to a podcast with a husband and wife who review movies-- and I don't know if they came up with this themselves or if it's attributed to someone else--but they like to say "Movies don't end.  They stop."  Basically, just because something happens at the end of film doesn't mean it would be end game if these characters lived in the real world.  And I think sometimes people, no one here in particular, just general "people", are guilty of conflating the two.  Two teenagers hooking up, whether they seem like a good match or not, is hardly front page news especially if those teenagers spend a lot of time in close proximity like Cher and Josh.  Is theirs a doomed relationship in the real world long term?  Probably.  Is it realistic in the context of the film where they as horny teens would act on their hormones?  I'd argue also probably.  Real world relationships develop, and then don't work out, between people who likely shouldn't have gotten together in the first place all the time.  It seems some hold fictional relationships to a higher standard.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 5
51 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

Basically, just because something happens at the end of film doesn't mean it would be end game if these characters lived in the real world.  And I think sometimes people, no one here in particular, just general "people", are guilty of conflating the two.

I mean, hell, the entire concept of fanfiction is built off this very fact. "Oh, that's how the story ended in canon? Hm, nope, I'm gonna imagine it ended this way instead." :p. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

I listen to a podcast with a husband and wife who review movies-- and I don't know if they came up with this themselves or if it's attributed to someone else--but they like to say "Movies don't end.  They stop."  Basically, just because something happens at the end of film doesn't mean it would be end game if these characters lived in the real world.  And I think sometimes people, no one here in particular, just general "people", are guilty of conflating the two. 

I mean...yeah, but isn't that the great thing about books or movies?  They end.  And we can be happy about the happily ever after....or not, and deep down think they probably didn't leave so happily ever after.

I remember when ABC redid Dirty Dancing, and they decided to add on a scene 20-some years later where Baby goes to visit Johnny's Broadway Show about their relationship that summer.  She's now a doctor, married to a man who is not Johnny, and has a child.  Baby and Johnny not lasting past her Peace Corps and Med School dreams?  Probably realistic.  But is the story made better by definitively including that fact?  Hell no!

Movies like Dirty Dancing aren't necessarily about realism; they're about evoking the feelings of having that first BIG love (even if you know logistics may doom it.)  And that's why it ends on a hopeful note.  Reality is for another time.

And that's kind of how I feel about Clueless.  Although Clueless is based on Emma and so it kind of has to end the way it does. 

• Like 7
6 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I listen to a podcast with a husband and wife who review movies-- and I don't know if they came up with this themselves or if it's attributed to someone else--but they like to say "Movies don't end.  They stop."  Basically, just because something happens at the end of film doesn't mean it would be end game if these characters lived in the real world.  And I think sometimes people, no one here in particular, just general "people", are guilty of conflating the two.  Two teenagers hooking up, whether they seem like a good match or not, is hardly front page news especially if those teenagers spend a lot of time in close proximity like Cher and Josh.  Is theirs a doomed relationship in the real world long term?  Probably.  Is it realistic in the context of the film where they as horny teens would act on their hormones?  I'd argue also probably.  Real world relationships develop, and then don't work out, between people who likely shouldn't have gotten together in the first place all the time.  It seems some hold fictional relationships to a higher standard.

Perhaps, but there's Clueless and then there's Gone Girl, and there's a galaxy of difference between the two. Cher's relative immaturity aside, her relationship with Josh is mostly healthy and drama-free, at least by the time the movie ends. Presumably she went on to college, graduated and began a career, much like Elle Woods from Legally Blonde, who on the surface of it is also relatively immature. When she and Josh break up, she'd likely be hurt and upset for a bit, but it won't be the end of her world. Because Mel's her dad, and that means she inherited some good sense in addition to her own smarts, so she'd be fine once she's past the initial heartbreak.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Like 6
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Movies like Dirty Dancing aren't necessarily about realism; they're about evoking the feelings of having that first BIG love (even if you know logistics may doom it.)  And that's why it ends on a hopeful note.  Reality is for another time.

I think both things are allowed to be true.  And I think coming at things from a real world perspective helps me to enjoy these fictional outcomes even more.  Stuff doesn't work out for us all the time.  Doesn't mean we never venture into it in the first place and/or enjoy the ride.  I think that's why Cher and Josh seemingly not being a great fit doesn't bother me.  Baby and Johnny wont make it past her first semester but that doesn't negate their experience here and now.  We can appreciate the stopping point of a Clueless or Dirty Dancing while at the same time being cynical about the long term.  You just wish everyone well while it lasts and are pretty sure they'll come out fine on the other side anyway.  Not so much with a Gone Girl, which isn't trying to tell us we're leaving things off in a good place.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 2

Clueless doesn't bother me. Hell, Mel himself wasn't even bothered by it given the small little smile he gives because he totally realizes that Josh and Cher like each other. Mel trusts Josh to treat Cher well because he knows Josh is a good kid.

Murray would probably have to say "Gaga ticket holder" instead. LOL

Although in all honesty, it would be hard to believe Cher wouldn't know immediately that Christian is gay because he'd probably have pictures of his various boyfriends on social media.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 4
17 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Real world relationships develop, and then don't work out, between people who likely shouldn't have gotten together in the first place all the time.  It seems some hold fictional relationships to a higher standard.

Well, I'd say the same thing about them if they were real people, so it's not a different standard.  They're teenagers, they will (and should) break up at some point, and the family dynamic means that's going to be a little weird at first, as opposed to the normal situation, where the ex-boyfriend is never around again.  That's it.

15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't have any hope of them staying together forever at the end of that movie, nor do I need any.  They're not going to.  I doubt they stay together beyond the end of the movie.  That's not a bad thing.  It doesn't negate what a great summer it was.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I think both things are allowed to be true.  And I think coming at things from a real world perspective helps me to enjoy these fictional outcomes even more.  Stuff doesn't work out for us all the time.  Doesn't mean we never venture into it in the first place and/or enjoy the ride.  I think that's why Cher and Josh seemingly not being a great fit doesn't bother me.  Baby and Johnny wont make it past her first semester but that doesn't negate their experience here and now.  We can appreciate the stopping point of a Clueless or Dirty Dancing while at the same time being cynical about the long term.  You just wish everyone well while it lasts and are pretty sure they'll come out fine on the other side anyway.  Not so much with a Gone Girl, which isn't trying to tell us we're leaving things off in a good place.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Well, I'd say the same thing about them if they were real people, so it's not a different standard.  They're teenagers, they will (and should) break up at some point, and the family dynamic means that's going to be a little weird at first, as opposed to the normal situation, where the ex-boyfriend is never around again.  That's it.

I don't have any hope of them staying together forever at the end of that movie, nor do I need any.  They're not going to.  I doubt they stay together beyond the end of the movie.  That's not a bad thing.  It doesn't negate what a great summer it was.

I really love both posts especially negate. Not every couple is going to be they marry and live happily ever after. That's not a bad thing. Baby and Johnny had a great summer together. She grew up a little from the dancing, Johnny and helping Penny. Cher and Josh might make it together but they might not. Cher's just finishing up high school and doesn't know what she's going to do with her life if anything. That's okay if it they don't end up together. Most people have had a few relationships even though they don't work out were still good relationships or had a good time together for the time they were together.

• Like 2

I might be off in this but I think a lot of the storyline in The 40 Year Old Virgin wouldn’t hold up today.  In 2005 the economy might not have been great but the Great Recession was still a few years away.  That and what inflation is today in the US

I think Andy’s situation in that movie might not seem as uncommon today.  I might be off as well but a lot of older adults probably still live at home due to economic fears.  Plus that and Covid happened.  And anxiety disorders and mental disorders have seemingly been on the rise for a while

Imo the movie wouldn’t play out as well today.  I watched initially but have no desire too again 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I would like to see a more serious take on a story about someone who hasn't had a relationship until much later in life due to outside circumstances. It could even be a comedy, just not one that mocks the situation.

There is My Big Fat Greek Wedding.  Toula is a late bloomer and that is never played for laughs, just something that happens when you are an introvert in a loud family.  And, her transformation is one she chooses to do for herself and not to get the guy.  I do love that Ian remembers her old self at the diner, "I don't remember Frump Girl, but I do remember you."

• Like 14
On 9/25/2023 at 2:19 PM, JustHereForFood said:

I would like to see a more serious take on a story about someone who hasn't had a relationship until much later in life due to outside circumstances. It could even be a comedy, just not one that mocks the situation.

Me too. 

On 9/25/2023 at 2:53 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

There is My Big Fat Greek Wedding.  Toula is a late bloomer and that is never played for laughs, just something that happens when you are an introvert in a loud family.  And, her transformation is one she chooses to do for herself and not to get the guy.  I do love that Ian remembers her old self at the diner, "I don't remember Frump Girl, but I do remember you."

I remember that. It was charming. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 9/25/2023 at 1:53 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I really liked that about the movie. It's rare to see a late bloomer that's not the butt of jokes. I love that she changes her job and looks for herself. 

• Like 7
56 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I really liked that about the movie. It's rare to see a late bloomer that's not the butt of jokes. I love that she changes her job and looks for herself. 

It's notable we only got such a film because of women -- Nia Vardalos wrote a screenplay to tell her life story, but no one wanted it.  So she wrote it as a one-woman stage show (theatre is willing to tell a broader range of stories).  When that was a hit, then studios wanted it, and Vardalos said great, I've got the script all ready to go -- but the execs all wanted her to make huge changes (including not having the family be Greek!) to make it more "marketable" and didn't want her to star in it, so she turned them all down.  Not until Rita Wilson fell in love with it and sent Tom Hanks to see it with an eye towards their production company making the film did Vardalos wind up with people who wanted to tell this story in this way.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 11
  • Useful 3