Type keyword(s) to search

Well, That Wouldn't Work Now: Things From Movies That Are Outdated or No Longer Politically Correct

• Start Topic

Like I've said, I've always wondered why Speed hasn't gotten the reboot treatment. I guess because Speed 2 did so horribly? Still, I think Speed can still pretty much work in an updated version and you wouldn't have to change out much.

• Love 4

Coalminer's Daughter is a great movie, but if it were made today people on social media would be freaking out and judging Loretta Lynn and her husband for their marriage because 1) they got married when she was 13 and 2) she stayed with him even though he was an alcoholic, abusive cheater. I mean, he had some redeemable qualities (at least the way the movie portrayed him and their relationship) but yeah, Twitter wouldn't be having it.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Coalminer's Daughter is a great movie, but if it were made today people on social media would be freaking out and judging Loretta Lynn and her husband for their marriage because 1) they got married when she was 13 and 2) she stayed with him even though he was an alcoholic, abusive cheater. I mean, he had some redeemable qualities (at least the way the movie portrayed him and their relationship) but yeah, Twitter wouldn't be having it.

Long after the book and movie's release, someone discovered that Mrs. Lynn had shaved off about two years from her actual age. IOW, she was married at 15 instead of 13 which is still too young but slightly less shocking. Ironically, she also disclosed that her late husband loathed being outed as being an alcoholic but evidently didn't say a peep against her portraying him as more of a cradle robber than he actually was!  Still, I agree that nowadays he WOULD have gotten far more flak even with the actual age than he did back then over it. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

They're currently planning an Elvis biopic and the Priscilla being 14 thing is not going to go over well even though they'll probably cast a woman in her 20's. Although they might just focus on Elvis's pre-military life.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

They're currently planning an Elvis biopic and the Priscilla being 14 thing is not going to go over well even though they'll probably cast a woman in her 20's. Although they might just focus on Elvis's pre-military life.

IF the movie focussed on Mr. Presley's life before Col. Tom Parker weaseled his way in with the story of how this young truck driver with a passion for music worked hard against the odds and became  able to generously provide for his destitute immediate family, that would be awesome.

However; not just his having the former Miss Beaulieau living under his roof from her early teens but also his sometimes less than fair-minded POVs re minorities, never attempted to rid himself of Col. Parker, numerous   other objects of affection besides the onetime Mrs. Presley,  drug dependency and letting virtually everyone in his extended family sponge off him for far too long that would at least give many viewers pause if not being considered 'un PC'. 

• Love 1

The Before trilogy would not work now either, with cell phones and social media. Taking photos and selfies is just too easy these days. Even if Jesse and Celine would have stuck to their guns to reunite without ever communicating in between, Jesse would have posted something on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and it would have gone viral. 

• Love 4
On ‎08‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:45 PM, memememe76 said:

The Before trilogy would not work now either, with cell phones and social media. Taking photos and selfies is just too easy these days. Even if Jesse and Celine would have stuck to their guns to reunite without ever communicating in between, Jesse would have posted something on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and it would have gone viral. 

I was watching Get Him to the Greek last week, and realized that the whole Today Show scene, where Jonah Hill's character is desperately trying to find the lyrics to a song for Aldous Snow, would be eliminated by the use of a smart phone to google them.  And that movie isn't even that old.

• Love 2

I watched Hitchcock's Vertigo last night. I had seen it before about 12 years ago when I was watching a ton of Hitchcock and even back then it was my least favorite of his big movies. But I saw it on netflix and thought I would give it another chance. But after watching it again, you could not make that movie today unless you make it clear that Jimmy Stewart's character is a creepy weirdo not the hero.

I mean he gets hired by an old college friend as a PI to follow his supposed wife because the guy is worried she is suicidal. When the wife jumps into San Francisco Bay she rescues him, and then instead of taking her to the hospital he takes her to his house, takes her clothes off and puts her in his bed. 

Then he basically has an affair with her and when she does supposedly kill herself he leaves the scene.

He then becomes obsessed with another woman who looks like the first one. He basically bullies her into changing her look (hair, clothes and make-up) to look like the dead woman. Then she dies in the exact same way as the other woman. It is all super creepy.

Plus he is also a pretty crappy detective. He is terrible at hiding when following the first women. And he some how never realizes that both women are Kim Novak even though they have the exact same body.

On ‎08‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:58 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I watched Hitchcock's Vertigo last night. I had seen it before about 12 years ago when I was watching a ton of Hitchcock and even back then it was my least favorite of his big movies. But I saw it on netflix and thought I would give it another chance. But after watching it again, you could not make that movie today unless you make it clear that Jimmy Stewart's character is a creepy weirdo not the hero.

I mean he gets hired by an old college friend as a PI to follow his supposed wife because the guy is worried she is suicidal. When the wife jumps into San Francisco Bay she rescues him, and then instead of taking her to the hospital he takes her to his house, takes her clothes off and puts her in his bed. 

Then he basically has an affair with her and when she does supposedly kill herself he leaves the scene.

He then becomes obsessed with another woman who looks like the first one. He basically bullies her into changing her look (hair, clothes and make-up) to look like the dead woman. Then she dies in the exact same way as the other woman. It is all super creepy.

Plus he is also a pretty crappy detective. He is terrible at hiding when following the first women. And he some how never realizes that both women are Kim Novak even though they have the exact same body.

I thought it was pretty obvious in the original that he wasn't a hero, at least once he started following the wife.

I saw Tootsie over the weekend, and realized that you could never make that movie now.  Never mind the possible transgender issues, the idea that an actor who would dress as a woman to get a part which should've gone to an actress, particularly one past her mid-thirties, was a good guy is kind of offensive.  I mean, people get mad at Michael for the whole Dorothy deception, but mostly Julie and her father, for reasons that have nothing to do with him taking an actress' role.

Victor/Victoria, on the other hand, still would work because it's set in a very specific time period.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

saw Tootsie over the weekend, and realized that you could never make that movie now.  Never mind the possible transgender issues, the idea that an actor who would dress as a woman to get a part which should've gone to an actress, particularly one past her mid-thirties, was a good guy is kind of offensive.  I mean, people get mad at Michael for the whole Dorothy deception, but mostly Julie and her father, for reasons that have nothing to do with him taking an actress' role.

They did it as a musical instead. I think that was the right call. I don't think you could get away with this as a movie now.

Pretty Woman also did a musical instead of a straight movie, which I think was also the right call.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I saw Tootsie over the weekend, and realized that you could never make that movie now.  Never mind the possible transgender issues, the idea that an actor who would dress as a woman to get a part which should've gone to an actress, particularly one past her mid-thirties, was a good guy is kind of offensive.  I mean, people get mad at Michael for the whole Dorothy deception, but mostly Julie and her father, for reasons that have nothing to do with him taking an actress' role.

Not to mention the whole idea that the acting industry is flush with roles for women too old to be considered ingenues, that Michael can't get male roles at his age, but as a WOMAN of that age, the industry is his oyster! Where on earth did that idea come from?

• Love 12
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Well, to be fair, this was in soap operas, which often DID have plenty of roles for older women.

Ish. There were a lot.  They weren't above sacking older actresses too especially every time a new producer took over the show. They used to be pretty good at killing off older women actresses. Eileen Fulton from As the World Turns got it written into her contract that her character couldn't become a grandmother because she worried as soon as it would happen she'd be killed off. As it happened to actress Barbara Berjer on the show who played Claire Shea on the show. Or eventually they reduce your role down to the point you only say a few things a year. Like Jillian Farren Phelps firing Anna Lee aka Lila Quatermaine who was in her 90s, only appeared a couple times a year and would die the following year. Keeping her on contract wouldn't have been that hard or time consuming.

• Love 3
On 8/30/2019 at 1:05 PM, proserpina65 said:

I thought it was pretty obvious in the original that he wasn't a hero, at least once he started following the wife.

Victor/Victoria, on the other hand, still would work because it's set in a very specific time period.

Tootsie has been made into a broadway musical. I saw it with my Mom during its Chicago premiere- it’s set in the present day (there are cell phones) but there’s no “age” to it. However we weren’t impressed with the musical portion at all. The actors did a great job but music was not memorable. We felt we could’ve just watched the 1980s version. 

• Love 1

I haven't seen it but the basic premise of Tootsie has been switched to Michael getting a role on a Broadway musical instead, playing the role of Nurse in a Romeo and Juliet-inspired production, but she's apparently so popular that the musical gets reworked to being all about Nurse instead.

It also looks like they jettisoned the old actor that wanted Dorothy, as well as Julie's father. Instead Dorothy is getting pursued by a tall drink of stupid water being played by Agent Smith from Riverdale. They also made Julie bisexual and willing to embark on a relationship with Dorothy. (Honestly, I thought Julie was pretty close to considering it in the early 80's version.)

• Love 2

I also saw the play in Chicago and found it hilarious even though I'd agree the music was mostly forgettable. 

I do think the musical mitigated many of the issues and I think Michael was meant to be seen as more of a gray character. Even after he has learned his lessons, there was ambiguity about how much forgiveness others were willing to give him. (Or at least when I saw it.  It may have changed by the time it hit NY.)

But whether or not a man dressing up as a woman is still an acceptable source for comedy, even when it's presented as a terrible idea, is not as easy to address.

Usually in this thread, I feel like most movies mentioned probably could be redone with a few tweaks here and there to address the out-of-date issues.  But that last issue is the reason I agree that a reboot likely couldn't be done.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But whether or not a man dressing up as a woman is still an acceptable source for comedy, even when it's presented as a terrible idea, is not as easy to address.

I do think you could probably still get away with Too Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar and Priscilla Queen of the Desert as it comes within the LGBT umbrella of drag performance.

Although I'm not sure about The Birdcage. I can see it really getting tweaked, namely with Agador because I can see some really angry Tweets about it.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

Re Tootsie: I'm not sure the issue of the 'realism' of a male actor fooling everyone into thinking he was a female actor playing a female character would be as outdated as the fact that the soap's leading lady (played by Jessica Lange) had had a nonmarital child -and NOTHING was ever said about the child's paternity. These days, the rags, 'Net,etc. would be endlessly churning stuff  trying to speculate about the show's leading lady's child's paternity FAR more than getting hung up on this 'new' older 'female' performer!

Edited by Blergh
bolding
  • Love 1
On 8/30/2019 at 11:05 AM, proserpina65 said:

Well, I do remember when Michael wanted to get out of the role and was desperately trying to get his agent to help him. His agent pointed out the fact that he was making a fool of the show, the network and the thousands of women who identified with Dorothy and that wasn't going to be easily forgiven or forgotten.

You get the idea that with the live show reveal the show did a LOT of spinning (and he was clearly immediately fired) but, man, I know soap opera fans... they wouldn't have reacted well to it at all.

Although... soap fans latch onto crazy things sometimes. The show might well have been able to salvage enough from the stunt.

• Love 2
On 9/1/2019 at 1:02 PM, Blergh said:

Re Tootsie: I'm not sure the issue of the 'realism' of a male actor fooling everyone into thinking he was a female actor playing a female character would be as outdated

Producer at Michael's screen test: "I'd like to make her look a little more attractive, how far can you pull back?"

Cameraman: "How do you feel about Cleveland?"

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

Revenge of the Nerds just wouldn't make sense now. Tech and gaming is such a strong component of "bro" culture now, and even wearing glasses is trendy now. Every time I see a tall buffed out guy with huge muscles and glasses, I always think, "Damn, nerdy dudes have gotten hot."

They were apparently going to try do a remake with Adam Brody back during his O.C. fame days, but I think they might have come to the same realization. Nerd culture essentially won. All those frat guys would be spending a lot of times of their dating phone apps and on their gaming systems.

• Love 3

I was on a long flight last week and one of the movie options was Bring It On!.  I remember thinking it was cute, so I watched it and was horrified at one running joke:  When the male cheerleader confessed  to bragged about how when he has the female cheerleader up on his hand, sometimes his finger would slip.  And everyone, including the girls, laughed!  They even showed a scene where he boosted her up, she gets this shocked look on her face, squeals, jumps down and smacks him and he just laughs at her.  I feel like there was something else that bothered me, too, but I can't remember what it was.  I definitely think that movie would need some adjustments if it were made today. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I feel like there was something else that bothered me, too, but I can't remember what it was.

I like Bring It On!, but it bothers me that Missy, otherwise an appealing character, asking the gay guy "You speak [slur]?" when he comes out to her.

It's also kind of annoying that we see relatively little of the Clovers.  If you ever watch the trailer, they had more scenes, but those didn't make it into the final movie.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, starri said:

It's also kind of annoying that we see relatively little of the Clovers.  If you ever watch the trailer, they had more scenes, but those didn't make it into the final movie.

Hmm, that might have made the movie watchable.  Not much more than that, probably, as it still stars Kirsten Dunst, but watchable.

(edited)
6 hours ago, starri said:

I like Bring It On!, but it bothers me that Missy, otherwise an appealing character, asking the gay guy "You speak [slur]?" when he comes out to her.

She's also referred to as being "dykey",  although the lesbian community seems to have reclaimed it- still don't think you could say that in a PG-13 movie now. Did Love Simon even have slurs in it once he got outed? I don't think even the bully characters said them to Simon.

I remember on the old MightyBigTV we all talked about how Missy probably was meant to be a lesbian but the studio nixed it. She probably would be explicitly a lesbian now, although all the direct-to-DVD sequels have dilluted the brand so much that I cant see a big-screen remake happening.

Partially the same reason why I can't see a big-screen remake of American Pie happening either- the 4th "cannon" one didn't do that great at the domestic box office, and they have had so many direct-to-videos crap movies under that brand that I can't see any incentive to try and make a big-screen one now. Going beyond that, R-rated movies for teens just aren't made now, and the way they treat Nadia is a little gross, plus the non-consensual live streaming of a sexual encounter just isn't going to play well now.

On the other hand, I did love that Tara Reid and Alyson Hanigan's character both got to enjoy and own their sexuality. It still bugs the shit out of me that so many teen girl characters are taught that they shouldn't want or enjoy sex.

I do think if an American Pie remake did happen, at least one of the main guys would be made black, and possibly gay. The livestreaming hijinks would get nixed. It would not play well at all.

Going back to American Pie's daddy, can you even IMAGINE a modern movie doing the scene from Porky's where they drill a hole in the locker room so they can watch the naked girls showering?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

I agree that there were problems with the portrayal of sexual orientation and sexualization of teen girls in Bring it On. But the theme of cultural appropriation still remains strong today.

• Love 7

If A Christmas Story was ever remade (no, I don't count the musical version for TV that aired on FOX), the first thing to go would be the Asian waiters "deck the halls with boughs of ho-rry, fa ra ra ra ra..." Not exactly the epitome of political correctness.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

If A Christmas Story was ever remade (no, I don't count the musical version for TV that aired on FOX), the first thing to go would be the Asian waiters "deck the halls with boughs of ho-rry, fa ra ra ra ra..." Not exactly the epitome of political correctness.

You might not count it, but the FOX version did do away with that.

• Love 3

I believe Mrs Doubtfire is mentioned upthread and it got me thinking. It could work now if they made Daniel a transwoman rather than simply wearing a mask and skirts as part of the overall deception. You wouldn't have to make too many changes to the basic story either and the big speech that Mrs Doubfire gives at the end of the movie about divorce can be switched to focusing on coming out.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I believe Mrs Doubtfire is mentioned upthread and it got me thinking. It could work now if they made Daniel a transwoman rather than simply wearing a mask and skirts as part of the overall deception. You wouldn't have to make too many changes to the basic story either and the big speech that Mrs Doubfire gives at the end of the movie about divorce can be switched to focusing on coming out.

It still doesn't fix the icky intrusiveness of what Daniel did, though, and it makes Miranda out to be the big bad transphobe instead of a woman who was simply sick and tired of living with a husband who refused to grow up.

That wouldn't even be going into what a casting minefield it would be. If you cast a non-trans person for the part, people would take offense to that. So does that mean you'd cast a trans person early in their transition that could then be made up to look like their pre-transition selves? That could get awkward, too.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

It still doesn't fix the icky intrusiveness of what Daniel did, though, and it makes Miranda out to be the big bad transphobe instead of a woman who was simply sick and tired of living with a husband who refused to grow up.

That wouldn't even be going into what a casting minefield it would be. If you cast a non-trans person for the part, people would take offense to that. So does that mean you'd cast a trans person early in their transition that could then be made up to look like their pre-transition selves? That could get awkward, too.

The first thing I’d do is bring in trans filmmakers and screenwriters to work on the problematic parts of the original. In the right hands it could work. 

• Love 2

I don't know, I think the entire Crux is that Mrs. Doubtfire being a man dressed as a woman is the source of the humor, and trying to "deceive" the ex-wife, isn't going to be fixed by trans filmmakers and trans actors. I don't think they'd want to touch it, honestly. However, I'm just going to respectfully disagree and move on. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Not to mention that it would needlessly distract from the major themes of the story- a man who wants to keep his kids in his life and a woman who is fed  up by his stunts and has had enough. Both sides in of themselves are legit but they inevitably clash and, comedy or not, one must consider what is actually BEST for the kids themselves regardless of their individual parents' feelings. 

And it also would add the awkward issue of how the kids are supposed to react to their male bio parent becoming technically female and would they need an actual outside male influence (e.g. their mother's boyfriend) as a balance.

BTW, if they ever make a dramatization of the Jenner/ Kardashian extended family (after all the major money dust settles) in X number of years, it's hard to imagine it would  have a happy much less comedic ending. 

• Love 1

Whenever I hear "What A Feeling" by Irene Cara, I keep thinking, "Wow, you really just cannot do Flashdance now." Could you imagine someone pitching a romantic, inspiring drama about an 18-year old steelworker/stripper who falls in love with her 30-something boss and we're not supposed to find that creepy? For similar reasons I don't think Pretty Women will get remade (it did get a musical), but I guess never say never. I do think it worked to the movie's benefit that Vivien didn't take the money. It also helps that Vivien doesn't feel/look like a kid the way Alex does in Flashdance.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Whenever I hear "What A Feeling" by Irene Cara, I keep thinking, "Wow, you really just cannot do Flashdance now." Could you imagine someone pitching a romantic, inspiring drama about an 18-year old steelworker/stripper who falls in love with her 30-something boss and we're not supposed to find that creepy? For similar reasons I don't think Pretty Women will get remade (it did get a musical), but I guess never say never. I do think it worked to the movie's benefit that Vivien didn't take the money. It also helps that Vivien doesn't feel/look like a kid the way Alex does in Flashdance.  

I think Pretty Woman was pretty progressive for its time. Vivian was sex worker but she was allowed to be a complex person, they addressed the dangers of her work and the attitudes of men like Jason Alexander’s character. Edward (Richard Gere) was seen to be a bad boyfriend/husband but he wasn’t a bad PERSON. (As his ex’s are still speaking with him and aren’t angry at him.) Vivian made the choice that sex work wasn’t for her any more (although being a kept woman is a safer and easier it’s another form of sex work), and decided to do something else- if I recall she did take the money for her week (which she should’ve!) she just didn’t want to be Edward’s kept girlfriend.

I just think in 2019 they would’ve changed the ending a bit, not that proposing would be bad, but maybe encourage her to go back to school if that’s was Vivian wants Edward!

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think Pretty Woman was pretty progressive for its time. Vivian was sex worker but she was allowed to be a complex person, they addressed the dangers of her work and the attitudes of men like Jason Alexander’s character.

I agree.  She's also not being trafficked, which blunts, although does not completely eliminate, the idea that she's been rescued.

• Love 4

Hmm. Good point. Does this mean that a modern Flashdance COULD be done, then? (Although they'd have to change the location because I think most of the steel mills in Pittsburgh closed down.) I also think they'd have to up Alex's age to 21. I think she could work in a strip bar as long as she's 18, but  I think people would be more comfortable with her romance with her boss if she's at least drinking age. (Which depending on the state was 18 in 1983, but was raised the next year for all states in 1984.)

In a video essay about Pretty Women, they mention that what really works about the coupling is that Richard Gere's character recognizes Vivien's smarts and that she is a businesswoman, just selling her body instead of what he sells. (Which is kind of funny when you remember that Richard Gere was essentially a male prostitute in American Gigolo.)

• Love 2
20 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Hmm. Good point. Does this mean that a modern Flashdance COULD be done, then? (Although they'd have to change the location because I think most of the steel mills in Pittsburgh closed down.) I also think they'd have to up Alex's age to 21. I think she could work in a strip bar as long as she's 18, but  I think people would be more comfortable with her romance with her boss if she's at least drinking age. (Which depending on the state was 18 in 1983, but was raised the next year for all states in 1984.)

In a video essay about Pretty Women, they mention that what really works about the coupling is that Richard Gere's character recognizes Vivien's smarts and that she is a businesswoman, just selling her body instead of what he sells. (Which is kind of funny when you remember that Richard Gere was essentially a male prostitute in American Gigolo.)

I think they could do Flash Dance with a 21yrs old protagonist and a 30yrs old boss, so long as he’s not harassing her, and it’s clear her job isn’t dependent on their romantic relationship. 21 is young but it’s a full fledged adult. 

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:11 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Could you imagine someone pitching a romantic, inspiring drama about an 18-year old steelworker/stripper who falls in love with her 30-something boss and we're not supposed to find that creepy?

I don't necessarily find it creepy.  A lot would depend on how the characters were written.

• Love 3

I tend to think the PC police do work a little TOO hard at their jobs.  That being said Tootsie is one of those movies that I used to like that watching now makes me feel a little uncomfortable because yeah.    A dude couldn’t get a job but an elderly lady over 50 could.   In what version of Hollywood?   It’s still a huge deal when shows are focused on actresses over 40 even well known ones.  

The issue with Mrs. Doubtfire is that it’s about a dad wanting to spend more time with his kids.   His kids actually learn the truth pretty early on and are in on the gag.  It’s the wife who he is deceiving who hit full custody.   Is it right?  No.  Do I find it offensive?   I am not sure.   

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 1:00 PM, Chaos Theory said:

A dude couldn’t get a job but an elderly lady over 50 could.

Well, the dude couldn't get a job because he'd developed a reputation for being so difficult that it wasn't worth it to work with him.  Which is pretty true to the industry even now, unless you're a big star.  And the "elderly" lady got a job as an older woman on a soap opera, where they did hire actual older women for supporting roles now and then.  Of course there aren't that many soap operas left.

• Love 9

I am trying to decide if Running on Empty would work today.    Forget the whole Vietnam thing.   I mean it was a time all it’s own.    But it’s more the parents who are basically good people who did a very bad thing raising two kids on the run that might be problematic in today’s market especially with the internet and cellphones.    Plus you would need an “inciting incident” that throws two young parents on the run.  It would need to be bad enough to get the FBI involved but not paint them as villains. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Well, the dude couldn't get a job because he'd developed a reputation for being so difficult that it wasn't worth it to work with him.  Which is pretty true to the industry even now, unless you're a big star.  And the "elderly" lady got a job as an older woman on a soap opera, where they did hire actual older women for supporting roles now and then.  Of course there aren't that many soap operas left.

Considering the time and the place? It's entirely feasible. Michael had a HORRIBLE reputation of not just being difficult but his 'perfectionism' was costing money and short commercial gigs. He was a Problem. The late 70s- early 80s... many soap operas were based in New York, there were quite a few of them back then and they were LUCRATIVE. Soap operas kept networks solvent for years until they completely reorganized how they wrote and shot the shows turning it into a huge mess.

Hell, there were a lot of Broadway performers who did gigs on soaps between plays... sometimes even during runs of plays they did. It was steady work. And because the stories were multi-generational and cyclical you could often do a short run, go on tour, and come back later if your character was popular enough or if the writers liked you well enough. And that multi-generational thing meant that you had a lot of ages represented.

Tootsie came out in 1982. Luke and Laura's wedding on General Hospital which was THE biggest thing... not just on soaps, that was HUGE in every way, had taken place November the previous year and their storyline leading up to that was big entertainment news. (GH actually filmed in LA but NY had a thriving soap industry for a long time.)

Anyway, Michael's getting on a soap in New York as an older lady wasn't completely out of left field.

• Love 10

I just listened to the hilarious "How Did This Get Made?" podcast about 1994 Disclosure starring Michael Douglas and Demi Moore, written by Michael Crichton and directed by Barry Levinson. I remembered the TV spots for the movie where they REALLY emphasized that it was about a man being sexually harassed by a woman. I laughed during the podcast when they said this was the third in the "Michael Douglas is just too sexy for his own good" trilogy with Fatal Attraction and Basic Instinct! Whenever I hear people complain about how movies nowadays are just juvenile with superheroes, remember this was the kind of "adult" fare studios were putting out in the 90s with big name actors, directors and everyone taking the subject matter soooo seriously. I will say though, it was Demi Moore at her hottest.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I just listened to the hilarious "How Did This Get Made?" podcast about 1994 Disclosure starring Michael Douglas and Demi Moore, written by Michael Crichton and directed by Barry Levinson. I remembered the TV spots for the movie where they REALLY emphasized that it was about a man being sexually harassed by a woman. I laughed during the podcast when they said this was the third in the "Michael Douglas is just too sexy for his own good" trilogy with Fatal Attraction and Basic Instinct! Whenever I hear people complain about how movies nowadays are just juvenile with superheroes, remember this was the kind of "adult" fare studios were putting out in the 90s with big name actors, directors and everyone taking the subject matter soooo seriously. I will say though, it was Demi Moore at her hottest.

I liked seeing a young Dylan Baker.

Other than that, it was a great SCTV parody.

20 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

"Michael Douglas is just too sexy for his own good" trilogy with Fatal Attraction and Basic Instinct!

See, I've always referred to his run of films starting with Fatal Attraction then Wall Street, Black Rain, War of the Roses, Basic Instinct, Falling Down and Disclosure as his "asshole" period. Not all villains, but definitely all assholes. The American President broke the string.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

I loved all of his "asshole" movies, with War of the Roses being my favorite (loved Kathleen Turner and Danny DeVito), followed by Fatal Attraction.  I thought The American President was just so-so.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I was standing in the security line at the airport this morning, and it occurs to me that between cell phones and the massive production that wrangling that many kids through the TSA, there's about no chance that Home Alone could be made today.

• Love 12