Type keyword(s) to search

Well, That Wouldn't Work Now: Things From Movies That Are Outdated or No Longer Politically Correct

• Start Topic

Prada could be made as a “period piece” even if somehow the current times are miraculously void of harassment. I enjoyed Prada, but I figured Streep and especially Blunt played those cool funny antihero’s that you’re supposed to hate but actually love, blah blah. I mean, there have been enough articles about how awful the friends and boyfriend are. Not sure this couldn’t be made today when something like Succession exists.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

There's Something About Mary.

Like, the entire movie premise. 

Since I loathed it from Day One despite all the stans who dissed everyone else who didn't worship it (often in rather crude and meanspirited ways), I guess that makes me (in this instance) having been ahead of my time! 

• Love 8

despite all the stans who dissed everyone else who didn't worship it

Non of the people I knew who loved it ever dissed me for not liking it.

• LOL 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I love that movie.  Even the trailer had me laughing so hard.  It's just so absurd.  Totally problematic in so many ways, but I can't help myself.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a funny movie but I cannot see anyway in which you could do this movie now.

Wild Things is another one that I cannot see getting made now. I don't think even Euphoria would touch that plot, and they sexualize their 25-year old "teens" (save for Zendaya) like nobody's business.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

There's Something About Mary.

Like, the entire movie premise. 

Is it just because they don't make Farrelly Brothers gross out comedies anymore? Because it has been years since I have seen that movie but the only thing I could remember that people would be offended by was Mary's special needs brother being played for laughs. Because there were some terrible people in the movie, but don't they end up being the bad guys?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Is it just because they don't make Farrelly Brothers gross out comedies anymore? Because it has been years since I have seen that movie but the only thing I could remember that people would be offended by was Mary's special needs brother being played for laughs.

I haven't seen it since it first came out, so I don't remember details, but it also plays stalking as romantic, and finds a lot of alleged humor in animals being injured (maybe even killed; again, I don't remember).  Sadly, both things still happen in film.

I think the movie Drop Dead Gorgeous contains some problematic/offensive stuff and I absolutely adore it anyway.  It's so hilarious.  I think there so many groups who could be offended by it.  I don't like movies that are offensive for the sake of being offensive but Drop Dead Gorgeous works extremely well. 

• Love 5
On 6/9/2022 at 11:04 AM, Luckylyn said:

I think the movie Drop Dead Gorgeous contains some problematic/offensive stuff and I absolutely adore it anyway.  It's so hilarious.  I think there so many groups who could be offended by it.  I don't like movies that are offensive for the sake of being offensive but Drop Dead Gorgeous works extremely well. 

Wouldn't it be great if people who were offended by it simply said, "I'm not enjoying this. I think I'll watch something else."

• Love 5
(edited)

"Manhattan" from 1979 came on TCM and I watched it again and I'm glad that I can't really picture a movie being released today about a 42 year old man dating a 17 year old girl and it being portrayed so straight and romantically.  At the very least it would not be nearly as critically acclaimed, lol.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
On 6/9/2022 at 11:04 AM, Luckylyn said:

I think Drop Dead Gorgeous could still work today as long as it was clear that the the offensive stuff wasn’t okay, and the “mockumentary” style was held up. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

"Manhattan" from 1979 came on TCM and I watched it again and I'm glad that I can't really picture a movie being released today about a 42 year old man dating a 17 year old girl and it being portrayed so straight and romantically.  At the very least it would not be nearly as critically acclaimed, lol.  

Yeah, I always think of this movie as the poster child for this category.

@Ms Blue Jay, were you in the adult moviegoing public when it came out? I was; maybe you were too. For those who weren't, all I can say is, people loved the movie. I know of no one at the time who looked askance at it. The ending was unambiguous, and unambiguously received. Two crazy people in love who weren't going to let convention stand in their way! Goosebumps! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Milburn Stone said:

Yeah, I always think of this movie as the poster child for this category.

@Ms Blue Jay, were you in the adult moviegoing public when it came out? I was; maybe you were too. For those who weren't, all I can say is, people loved the movie. I know of no one at the time who looked askance at it. The ending was unambiguous, and unambiguously received. Two crazy people in love who weren't going to let convention stand in their way! Goosebumps! 

I wasn't, but I've been hearing about how critically acclaimed this movie is for most of my life.  To finally see it with my eyes is really something else.  It's very interesting to hear how people saw it at the time, thank you.

I go back and forth on if I think Never Been Kissed can be made now. On one hand, you have a teacher flirting with a girl he thinks is a 17-year old student. On the other hand, Michael Vartan never crossed that line with Josie until after she admitted she was an adult. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

I go back and forth on if I think Never Been Kissed can be made now. On one hand, you have a teacher flirting with a girl he thinks is a 17-year old student. On the other hand, Michael Vartan never crossed that line with Josie until after she admitted she was an adult. 

But he was upset when she found out she was an adult and accused her of trying to entrap him. Like it was her fault he was lusting after her.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 5
On 6/11/2022 at 7:37 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I think Drop Dead Gorgeous could still work today as long as it was clear that the the offensive stuff wasn’t okay, and the “mockumentary” style was held up. 

I haven't revisited Drop Dead Gorgeous in a minute but I think even in its original form it would primarily hold up for those reasons.  I'm sure some things would have to be reworked but I recall that most of the offensive moments come courtesy of the Leeman's.  The movie makes no bones about the fact that they are all terrible people and they all get some comeuppance in the end.  The rest is just pitch black humor.  ("The woman clung to your tap shoes while flying through the air like a Goddamn lawn dart." will never not be funny to me.)

• Love 4
On 6/12/2022 at 7:32 PM, methodwriter85 said:

On 6/12/2022 at 8:44 PM, Spartan Girl said:

But he was upset when she found out she was an adult and accused her of trying to entrap him. Like it was her fault he was lusting after her.

I haven’t seen Never Been Kissed in a hot minute, but from what I remember, he was never inappropriate or crossed anything lines (physically or verbally) with Josie until he knew she was 25. What I liked about Josie there was that she NEVER compromised her story/job because she was attracted to him (although given how unlucky and unconfident she had been with relationships up to that point, they could’ve written it that way). 

The hardest thing about that story now would be the internet. A kid could get away with saying “my parents won’t let me have social media until I’m 18”, but an adult with a job is going to have a LinkedIn profile and be found with their real name and photo. A student would’ve blown the lid on Josie a week or two into her time as a student. 

• Love 5
(edited)

21 and 22 Jump Street dealt with it pretty well.  The movies are only 10 years old and I think they hold up.  I didn't really think about those internet details though I have to admit.

In 22 Jump Street one of the characters kept making a lot of comments about how old Jonah Hill looked.  😄  I like when characters point out the obvious.

In my experience, not everyone uses LinkedIn and I'm sure it'd be easy to disable.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
On 6/14/2022 at 2:50 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I haven’t seen Never Been Kissed in a hot minute, but from what I remember, he was never inappropriate or crossed anything lines (physically or verbally)

True, but he was yelling at Josie that he’d been taking a bunch of cold showers to stop himself from fantasizing about who he thought was a teenager. I just shook my head and was like, “Dude, she was on assignment. Undercover means don’t tell anyone. She wasn’t coming on to you (intentionally) so stop playing the victim.”

I’m tempted to add him to the worst love interest thread.

And then there was that asshole brother Rob who screamed at Josie for blowing his “second chance” to relive his high school glory days after everything he did for her. Don’t use “helping your sister” (like you were such a big help when she was being tormented in high school the first time around) as an excuse to cheat your way into high school and scam on teen girls.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

True, but he was yelling at Josie that he’d been taking a bunch of cold showers to stop himself from fantasizing about who he thought was a teenager. I just shook my head and was like, “Dude, she was on assignment. Undercover means don’t tell anyone. She wasn’t coming on to you (intentionally) so stop playing the victim.”

I didn’t remember that part! Thanks. 

Then yeah dude chill out. 

16 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

And then there was that asshole brother Rob who screamed at Josie for blowing his “second chance” to relive his high school glory days after everything he did for her. Don’t use “helping your sister” (like you were such a big help when she was being tormented in high school the first time around) as an excuse to cheat your way into high school and scam on teen girls.

I know. Her brother was so entitled! His ending up as a baseball coach made a lot of sense, but why did he never pursue something like that before. They were only a year or so a part, so that made him 26?

• Love 7

I admit I love Never Been Kissed, but it is problematic. I don't remember Michael Vartan's character ever saying anything about having to take cold showers, but he did say something along the lines of "now it's okay that I'm attracted to you?" and when they were on the ferris wheel he said something about when she got to college all the boys would be interested in her and then that he shouldn't say things like that because he's her teacher. Lines were definitely blurred. And yet, I still love it. Definitely a product of its time.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, jah1986 said:

I admit I love Never Been Kissed, but it is problematic. I don't remember Michael Vartan's character ever saying anything about having to take cold showers, but he did say something along the lines of "now it's okay that I'm attracted to you?" and when they were on the ferris wheel he said something about when she got to college all the boys would be interested in her and then that he shouldn't say things like that because he's her teacher. Lines were definitely blurred. And yet, I still love it. Definitely a product of its time.

Thanks. 

I think the blurred lines didn’t offend us so much because we knew Drew Barrymore was actually an adult. I liked that Josie was quirky and good at her job. I do think the “Never Been Kissed” part could’ve been written a lot better.

I know a few people closely who never had any romantic/relationship/sexual experiences until they were far older than expected- and it can mess with your self esteem and confidence (especially if it wasn’t an active choice, but a circumstance). Its not something that gets talked about a lot. I think there was a way to really acknowledge how Josie felt as valid and that she wasn’t alone, but that didn’t make her “less than”. I felt the SAME WAY about “40 Years old Virgin” which could’ve done that in a genuine but funny way and just dropped the ball- went totally for the funny. 

Taking this to discuss further into Romantic Comedies.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Josie even calls him out on that at one point, if I recall rightly. 

I too remember seeing and liking this movie back in the day, and I still enjoyed it when I came across it on TV a couple years back, but yeah, definitely a lot about it that would raise some brows nowadays, for sure. 

• Love 3

Speaking of inappropriate teacher/student relationships, let’s talk about Election. 

Up until now, I wasn’t aware that Rose McGowan accused director Alexander Payne of statutory rape against — he claims she was over the age of consent — and boy does this put a disturbing new context on how he portrayed Tracy Flick and how Mr. McAllister viewed her as the one who as more to blame in the scandal with his friend and fellow teacher Dave, since he was the one whose life was ruined while Tracy didn’t even have her name leaked (because she was the VICTIM and their names are SUPPOSED to be sealed). And part of the reason he sabotages the election is because he’s so afraid that the exact same thing would happen to him because as president they’d be working together and she’s so damn sexual. 

*pauses to control rage*

And Payne’s ending when he spots Tracy in DC with a congressman is supposed to imply that she’s probably sleeping with that guy in order to get ahead in her career. Never mind we don’t even KNOW what’s going on, and Tracy (for all her other faults) always prided herself on hard work and ambition; the only reason why she even got involved with Dave was because she was lonely and Dave preyed on that and groomed her, not because she was trying to get a good grade out of him. Oh no, once a slut always a slut. Is that what you were trying to say, Payne?! Fuck you!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Election is a fucked up movie.  People say "Oh it's just satire" but I think you can make satire without making adult men lust after and sleep with teenage girls.

Tracy is a victim, but the movie paints Matthew Broderick as the protagonist/hero.  Pretty gross.  Matthew's character hates female ambition - hates it, hates it, hates it, hates it - and sees Tracy as being a sexual distraction and blames Tracy for sabotaging that teacher's career.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
47 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Election is a fucked up movie.  People say "Oh it's just satire" but I think you can make satire without making adult men lust after and sleep with teenage girls.

Tracy is a victim, but the movie paints Matthew Broderick as the protagonist/hero.  Pretty gross.  Matthew's character hates female ambition - hates it, hates it, hates it, hates it - and sees Tracy as being a sexual distraction and blames Tracy for sabotaging that teacher's career.

That’s why the original novel was way better: in the end, Mr. McAllister apologizes to Tracy when they meet again and takes full responsibility for his actions. That WAS the original ending to the movie as well, but sense it didn’t fit with the whole black comedy aspect, they reshot it. But you can see it right here:

• Sad 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Does it? I never saw Election that way. I thought we were always supposed to see Broderick’s character as an emotionally messed up man, jealous of a teenage girl. 

16 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And Payne’s ending when he spots Tracy in DC with a congressman is supposed to imply that she’s probably sleeping with that guy in order to get ahead in her career.

I NEVER thought that when I watched the scene. I assumed Broderick was jealous that Tracey was actually making things happen with her life, and he was the one who fucked his up because he 1. Was jealous of a teenage girl, and 2. Cheated on his wife with his former friend’s wife!

16 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And part of the reason he sabotages the election is because he’s so afraid that the exact same thing would happen to him because as president they’d be working together and she’s so damn sexual. 

Really? I do not remember this (and I watched the film last year)- he sabotages her election because he doesn’t want to see her win. He’s jealous of her, and he’s a petty mofo- I didn’t think he was attracted to her or they were playing Tracey as a “vixen”. Even when Broderick’s character was being a douche, we saw him clearly telling his friend what he was doing with Tracey was WRONG. I didn’t get the impression he wanted Tracey sexually, I got the impression that he was intimated by her and found her annoying, he would’ve rather had the football player (oh Chris Klein) win because that’s more who he wished he had been. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/18/2022 at 11:35 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Really? I do not remember this (and I watched the film last year)- he sabotages her election because he doesn’t want to see her win. He’s jealous of her, and he’s a petty mofo- I didn’t think he was attracted to her or they were playing Tracey as a “vixen”. Even when Broderick’s character was being a douche, we saw him clearly telling his friend what he was doing with Tracey was WRONG. I didn’t get the impression he wanted Tracey sexually, I got the impression that he was intimated by her and found her annoying, he would’ve rather had the football player (oh Chris Klein) win because that’s more who he wished he had been. 

You may need to watch it again. There are scenes of him thinking about her saying they were going to spend “lots of time together” in a somewhat suggestive way, and then fantasizing about her during sex with his wife like @methodwriter85 pointed out. Yes, he did point out how wrong what Dave was doing was, but that really doesn’t mean he would subconsciously jump at the same chance, he just wouldn’t admit it.

Re that part at the end, he probably WAS jealous of her. However, lots of viewers have interpreted that scene as implying she might be sleeping with her boss, which goes to show how the character of Tracy tapped into a lot of misogynistic feelings and assumptions.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

You may need to watch it again. There are scenes of him thinking about her saying they were going to spend “lots of time together” in a somewhat suggestive way, and then fantasizing about her during sex with his wife like @methodwriter85 pointed out. Yes, he did point out how wrong what Dave was doing was, but that really doesn’t mean he would subconsciously jump at the same chance, he just wouldn’t admit it.

Re that part at the end, he probably WAS jealous of her. However, lots of viewers have interpreted that scene as 8mplying she might be sleeping with her boss, which goes to show how the character of Tracy tapped into a lot of misogynistic feelings and assumptions.

I trust you guys. I will make note of this when I rewatch it again. My own biases might be coming into play because I was happy to see Tracey be successful and Broderick lose everything- there are consequences! Yes Tracey was annoying and intense, but she was smart and capable. Women being “likeable” isn’t required for them to be interesting. 

I did think it was sad how Chris Klein’s sister was in love with that girl, and she got her heart broken. 

I thought the actors have strong performances, but I always saw Broderick’s character as pathetic who thought because of his status as a teacher and misogyny he could “get one over on Tracey”. 

Thanks for this!

• Love 2

I always saw Broderick’s character as pathetic who thought because of his status as a teacher and misogyny he could “get one over on Tracey”. 

Mission accomplished on Broderick's part, assuming that was his goal.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I did think it was sad how Chris Klein’s sister was in love with that girl, and she got her heart broken. 

They did show the sister moving on to a new girl, which made me smile. Chris Klein himself seemed like he was fine as well. I think it was kind of the point that the only one who was really irrevocably damaged was Matthew Broderick's character.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

They did show the sister moving on to a new girl, which made me smile. Chris Klein himself seemed like he was fine as well. I think it was kind of the point that the only one who was really irrevocably damaged was Matthew Broderick's character.

Yup. 

The thing about the movie ending of Election that I really don’t like is that nobody really learns anything. Tracy won, but it’s a hollow victory: power doesn’t buy popularity and she’s still lonely, and she still hasn’t learned there’s more to life than winning. Mr. McAllister is still playing the victim and blames Tracy for everything. Tammy has a new girl, yes, but it’s highly likely her clingy obsessiveness is going to drive her away at some point. 

Yes, I’m fully aware that it’s satire and it’s to be expected. But still. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The thing about the movie ending of Election that I really don’t like is that nobody really learns anything. Tracy won, but it’s a hollow victory: power doesn’t buy popularity and she’s still lonely, and she still hasn’t learned there’s more to life than winning. Mr. McAllister is still playing the victim and blames Tracy for everything. Tammy has a new girl, yes, but it’s highly likely her clingy obsessiveness is going to drive her away at some point. 

Yes, I’m fully aware that it’s satire and it’s to be expected. But still. 

True. And at the end of the day, Chris Klein's character was a simple, sweet guy who was popular because he was a sweet guy. Nothing more, nothing less. I like that they subverted the stereotype about the popular guy by not making him a bully. Tracey thought winning would make her popular, but it didn't because ultimately she doesn't know how to treat people like friends. I think she's supposed to be a representative of how politicians are- at the end of the day, you're just a vote to them. As soon as you finish shaking their hand they've already forgotten you, onto the next possible vote.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

There's going to be a tv series adaptation of Interview With A Vampire coming out. The "twisty" bits are that it's the 1930's, plantations are swapped out for brothels, Louis & Claudia are now black, and Claudia's age has been raised to 14. (Presumably the actress will be 15 or 16.) They said it was to because of child labor laws. I also think it's to make the audience feel less queasy about what Claudia does and when she begins to act more adult. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut out Louis and Claudia kissing. Also not surprised they wanted to avoid antebellum slavery.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Also not surprised they wanted to avoid antebellum slavery.

Would have made Loius being black a bit awkward if they didn't...

Not sure how raising Claudia's age will be an improvement, part of what drives her character is that she isn't an adult, and also the ramifications of her being a vampire at that age.

• Love 3

This all sounds quite terrible. I was wondering about the casting of Louis. Setting it in another time makes this make more sense.

Aging up Claudia seems a mistake. The whole point was that she was a woman in a child's body.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, supposebly said:

Aging up Claudia seems a mistake. The whole point was that she was a woman in a child's body

I wouldn't be shocked if they still have her carrying around dolls because Hollywood is extremely bad about knowing how to write girls in that junior high age range.

23 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Not sure how raising Claudia's age will be an improvement, part of what drives her character is that she isn't an adult, and also the ramifications of her being a vampire at that age.

Well, the actress just turned 18 but she's playing 14. Like, I get it- things have changed a lot since 1994 and Hollywood doesn't want to have an actual child running around kissing an adult male lead, using bad language, and all of the other adult things Claudia does, but...eh. I don't know- you're losing the point of the character. The point is that you have a woman stuck in the body of a child. Her body will not mature but her mind has. It's just different if you have a girl who is already a young woman. Even Megan Follows didn't convince me she was 11 years old at the start of Anne of Green Gables and they tried really hard with that.

On the other, supposedly they're going to up the m4m aspects, which will be nice although I wouldn't be surprised if Louis and Lestat share a dry kiss and call it a day. I will never forget the Leonardo DaVinci show that swore up and down they'd show Leonardo being intimate with men as well as women and they kept to a dry kiss between him and a dude before we immediately see him in a bath with a woman. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
On 7/23/2022 at 1:40 AM, methodwriter85 said:

There's going to be a tv series adaptation of Interview With A Vampire coming out. The "twisty" bits are that it's the 1930's, plantations are swapped out for brothels, Louis & Claudia are now black, and Claudia's age has been raised to 14. (Presumably the actress will be 15 or 16.) They said it was to because of child labor laws. I also think it's to make the audience feel less queasy about what Claudia does and when she begins to act more adult. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut out Louis and Claudia kissing. Also not surprised they wanted to avoid antebellum slavery.

The actress is 19. There’s a forum for it here.

If you watch I hope to see others in the Compare and Contrast thread. I too thought how they were going to handle the Louis/Lestat (public) relationship with racial politics at play. Louis has to move in public life very differently as a black man. 

23 hours ago, supposebly said:

This all sounds quite terrible. I was wondering about the casting of Louis. Setting it in another time makes this make more sense.

Aging up Claudia seems a mistake. The whole point was that she was a woman in a child's body.

The gentleman playing Louis was Grey Worm in Game of Thrones- I don’t doubt he can do it, but they have to write good stuff for him. 

Regarding Claudia- I understand why they cast a 19yrs old actress and will age her down with styling and makeup choices, but being “14” forever is very different than being “6” for ever. The movie version worked with Claudia being 12, because Kristen Dunst was a small 12. Had she had a big growth spurt during filming they would’ve been screwed, but 12 is still a child. 14 is less so (especially for girls), physically of course I don’t mean legally. 

The big bank heist in Heat.

People will continue to rob banks, but to update the old phrase "That's not where the money is."

In the age of the internet, why risk life and limb on the big score when you can sit at home and send out malware that allows you to extort companies? Or figure out scams to rob people of their crypto-currency?

• Like 1
On 8/14/2022 at 8:47 PM, xaxat said:

The big bank heist in Heat.

People will continue to rob banks, but to update the old phrase "That's not where the money is."

In the age of the internet, why risk life and limb on the big score when you can sit at home and send out malware that allows you to extort companies? Or figure out scams to rob people of their crypto-currency?

The old Superman 3 (also Office Space) con is still a viable option.  I would personally stay away from NFTs and crypto though.  The market is waaaay too volatile and you might end up doing someone a favor by stealing their worthless or soon to be worthless crypto. 

• Love 1