Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Broken as F**k

• Start Topic

Welp, who didn't see Lawrence smashing that bank teller coming? I thought that it was a setup and Issa was going to walk in on them. Those last few minutes were tense.

Lawrence may 'miss' Issa, but ain't no dude that forgiving. At least not one I met. Especially not that quickly.

Kelli is fun, but I'd get tired of her antics, quickly. She seems like the type of friend you'd have to take in doses.

Yo, that couch. I get that it's symbolism for Lawrence and Issa's relationship. Peep how tattered it looked, but I'm gonna need for sanitation to pick that shit up. It's been there for weeks.

• Love 6

I'm mad we have to wait for season 2, because I'm ready now.

That was one hell of a fakeout.  I guess Lawrence re-thought the whole thing on the ride home.  He wasn't going to hook up with the stripper, but Tasha was always in the back of his mind and he finally went for it.  He meant what he told Issa at his job.  At least for now, they're done.

And Issa, nagl showing up to his job.  Remember when Daniel did that to you?!?

I did like how Issa stood up for Molly at the hot tub, but even more, I'm glad that Molly has finally realized that she's got issues.  Whether she gets therapy or something else, at least she's aware of it.  Glad that college kid didn't give her crabs or something.

And Tiffany deserved to get read like that.  Especially acting like Issa and Kelli were only Molly's friends.  Her bringing up the breakup between Issa and Lawrence was a low blow. 

• Love 1

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

We knew it was coming but it still hurt me to see it. The sad thing is, he isn't WRONG but damn, it felt wrong. 

Leaving the Best Buy shirt was just...expert levels of petty.

At least Issa and Molly made up. Molly is a real one.

I need to go process this.

• Love 12

When it looked like Lawrence was going to take Issa back, I was laughing to myself that this show is clearly written by a woman. Then we got the twist with Tasha which had been foreshadowed ages ago.

I'm not mad at Lawrence but I wonder if Tasha is going to turn out to be crazy or something. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

I didn't even recognize the bank teller.

I don't think Lawrenece intended to go to her when he called Issa.  I think he was feeling weak at the club after the stripper/prostitute moment, went back to the apartment and it hit him again.  Leaving that Best Buy outfit was kind of amazing, though. 

40 minutes ago, Xander said:

When it looked like Lawrence was going to take Issa back, I was laughing to myself that this show is clearly written by a woman

I think the biggest signal that this show was written by a woman was in how it accurately (IMO) pointed out that Lawrence's dating life post-Issa will likely be a lot easier for him than it will be for her. 

• Love 6

It annoyed me last week when Molly said it and it annoyed me again this week when Lawrence said it. Getting a job doesn't count as fixing your shit for someone. It's called GETTING A FUCKING JOB. Don't try to paint it as some great thing you did for someone else.

This episode was good because it had so many real moments. All of Issa and Molly's awkward interactions were so realistically painful to watch. Also painfully realistic: the conversation between the four guys throwing dollar bills at strippers as they talked about how women these days just aren't as loyal as they used to be like the one guy's grandmother who stayed with her husband even though he cheated on her all the time and had a second family. It just makes me shake my head that this is being held up as an example of a good thing. And if that's true, then why isn't turnabout fair play? By that token, Lawrence should stay with Issa even though she slept with Daniel.

On a related note, I had to laugh at the look of disappointment on Lawrence's face when the stripper told him how much extra it would cost to sleep with him. Come on, dude. Did you think she was just going to fuck you for free to be nice? Thank goodness for his penis that he remembered there was another girl who would definitely fuck him for free. Now I kind of feel bad for the bank teller because she she seemed like she liked him and will probably want more than just a one night stand, and I don't think he's ready for another relationship just yet.

One of my pet peeves on tv is when people show up to someone else's place of work to have personal conversations/confrontations. I remember even as I teenager, I would think, "REALLY?" I get that Issa was desperate to get some kind of response from Lawrence, but showing up in the middle of the day at his new job because he hasn't returned your calls is NOT COOL. Honestly, when someone is that hurt and upset, it's best not to force an interaction like that. Did she really think the end result would be Lawrence saying, "It's okay. I forgive you. Let me blow off my new job so we can hug it out and make things right between us!"?

• Love 14
9 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Kelli is fun, but I'd get tired of her antics, quickly. She seems like the type of friend you'd have to take in doses.

She worked my last nerve.

I can understand Lawrence's revenge fucking, but I just hope the bank teller doesn't turn into a bunny boiler.

I think I've had my share of hearing "bitch" and "n-word" for a while, so I'm glad this was the season finale.

• Love 6

So, is We Did Say is like the "urban" version of Truth or Dare?

Could've done without the strip club scene. I don't know why the possibility of having to pay for sex is what woke Lawrence up, especially since he knew he had the Chase bank backup plan available. I'll give him points though for waiting until he'd broken up with Issa before going there.

"...like you're Stacey Dash and somebody just told you you're Black." OMG. (Speaking of her, has she gone into hiding or something? Not that I'm missing her and her nonsense but sometimes it was funny to see what a dumb puppet she was.)

Excellent finale. Brava, Issa.

• Love 2

Ahh. I'm glad Molly and Issa made up.  Those two need each other!

Of course Lawrence was going to hit up the Chase ho (TM Crissle). I was thinking that there was no way he's going to pay upwards to $400 for some action when he had a chick who was DTF just for him!  

What would really make me like this series is if Issa finds a new man to vibe with. Let Lawrence go for good. His petty ass left that Best Buy shirt just to twist the knife, IMO. He thinks he's hot shit because he has a new job that Issa had to force him to take!  

I also want to see Tiffany's marriage blow up.  She's way too snooty for me and I'm sure her hubby is hiding hella things from her.

• Love 5

Let me preface this by saying Issa was wrong for sleeping with Daniel, BUT.....

Lawrence is petty, too. Of course he would choose the woman who he doesn't have to put in work with. Chase heifer thinks having a job and no kids is enough to make him a "good" man. I hope the the Chase teller is a demanding, lying manipulator. 

Lawrence and Issa have stupid friends(with the exception of Molly). Their friendships seem superficial.

I hope next season Issa and Molly work on themselves and not for a man. 

• Love 4

There are a whole lot of accusations being thrown at a character, the bank teller, that from all we saw was interested in a dude found out he had a woman already and we haven't heard from her since. That doesn't make you a hoe nor does two consenting adults having sex makes you hoe. 

When the person you've been with for years cheats on you, I think you reserve the right to be petty. I've seen women doing victory dances for tv and movies when women destroys a man's property because he cheated. Lawrence symbolically leaves a best buy the shirt and he's a petty asshole? So be it then. 

Lawrence and the job is also not as simple as him wanting to be a no job having loser. He was a person tired of settling. He had a goal and only wanted to achieve that goal. Of course, he could and should be working in the mean time but there are plenty of people who take that in the mean time job and never leave. I don't think he wanted to be that person either.

I can't stand the other two friends. I have two long standing friends like that. As I take life more seriously and mature through the years, they are still worried about partying and shit that doesn't matter. Not worth the time. Sometimes you need to create some distance.

Who that the snooty girl from nickelodeon my brother and me would grow up to be just as snooty in one of favorite shows 20 years later (Amanda diva).

• Like 1
  • Love 18

Man, that was brutal to watch. This show reminds me of Being Mary Jane, where you see the characters doing dumb shit that you or your friends have done and wanting to scream some sense into them through the tv. lol Issa definitely shouldn't have shown up at his job and rushing back was a mistake too. Things were too raw for an instant reconciliation. I kept thinking that she was going to walk in on him with someone else but the lone Best Buy shirt was even more devastating. As bad as I felt for Issa, Lawrence is well within his rights to act a fool. That's one of the things I've liked about this storyline. There are complexities to infidelity that all parties involved are accountable for, if they are honest with themselves.

The fantastic thing about this episode was Issa and Molly's reconciliation. I love their friendship and Issa needed that particular win more than anything. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

We knew it was coming but it still hurt me to see it. The sad thing is, he isn't WRONG but damn, it felt wrong. 

Leaving the Best Buy shirt was just...expert levels of petty.

At least Issa and Molly made up. Molly is a real one.

I need to go process this.

All this.  But especially the bolded.    

I know he was under absolutely no obligation to high road anything.  Hurt, messed up, betrayed, I got all that.   But when I saw that shirt I was like Laurence not you.  You're better than that bruh.   Those are man points that you may never get back.

I can't believe they sat on that couch.   Lick a bus stop bench, it's cleaner.

• Love 2

I like Kelli, but whoever said you probably need to take her in small doses, I agree. That response to whether she listens to herself, that she had a podcast so yes she does, hilarious.  Then with the "Is that why he hit you?" still when she found out Isa cheated. She's funny.  Meanwhile the other friend is full of herself as she's caught up in her "fairy tale" life is what it looks like to me. 

I have no criticism of  Lawrence and how he reacted to being cheated on, none. 

I knew that when Issa came home he would be gone or either in her bed with that bank teller. 

Issa doesn't deserve him, Molly was right about that as Issa was right about Molly.

Glad she and Molly are back to being friends, that was real. I thought that the words she said to Molly in that car about what she and their relationship means to her should/could have been words you say to your significant other, and that I wouldn't buy them if she said them to Lawrence and neither should he. 

But I will note that of course there is a double standard, men cheat all the fucking time. Lawrence's friend was going on about making women how they use to had me rolling my eyes. Boy, they still do make them that way, please.  Women take these men back time and time again, there's still a larger percentage that do, so bye with all that.  I guess that little shit means that he wants the women that shut the fuck up about the cheating and stick around but keep quiet about it and don't bitch while they still continue to serve you. Yeah, those exist too and there's no way he can't find one. Now that's not real, if that's what he's saying.

Anyway, Issa with her itch she had to scratch... hope it was worth it.

This show is very real, love it. 

Maybe next season they'll sign for more than eight episodes, maybe 10 to 13. Ah, maybe 8 was just enough.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2

Lawrence leaving that Best Buy shirt hanging in the closet was like a dagger to Issa's heart, and an exclamation point to the ending of their relationship.  I only hope that he's truly done with Issa and has made up his mind to go on without her, even though I'm sorry it ended that way.  If it's not over, then it'll be interesting to see how they get back together.   

I love the stank neighborhood sofa.  Not that I would sit on it though. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Keepitmoving said:

I have no criticism of  Lawrence and how he reacted to being cheated on, none. 

Agreed that Lawrence was well within his rights to do whatever, and well, whomever he wanted. My guess is the bank teller is going to end up like Daniel. I side-eyed her initially when she was acting dehydrated when she went to Best Buy, but she does seem to really like Lawrence. Shame he's using her as a rebound smash. Though it'll be interesting if he actually develops real feelings for her. Issa got her 80/20 wake up call. 

• Love 3

I think I've had my share of hearing "bitch" and "n-word" for a while, so I'm glad this was the season finale.

I could use more episodes but I'm with you on the language. And I have a potty mouth! But I've never been one for the n-word and I had a realization this episode that this is the reason why I can't really get down with 99% of hip hop. I'm just not here for it.  I didn't know any of the songs played at the club in this episode. 

I guess the bank teller girl got hers. Not sure rebound sex is what she had in mind though. I can't really blame Lawrence, Issa made her bed and now she can lie in it. Alone. Also, Kelli is hella ratchet. 

Edited by PetuniaP
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Racj82 said:

There are a whole lot of accusations being thrown at a character, the bank teller, that from all we saw was interested in a dude found out he had a woman already and we haven't heard from her since. That doesn't make you a hoe nor does two consenting adults having sex makes you hoe. 

When the person you've been with for years cheats on you, I think you reserve the right to be petty. I've seen women doing victory dances for tv and movies when women destroys a man's property because he cheated. Lawrence symbolically leaves a best buy the shirt and he's a petty asshole? So be it then. 

Lawrence and the job is also not as simple as him wanting to be a no job having loser. He was a person tired of settling. He had a goal and only wanted to achieve that goal. Of course, he could and should be working in the mean time but there are plenty of people who take that in the mean time job and never leave. I don't think he wanted to be that person either.

I can't stand the other two friends. I have two long standing friends like that. As I take life more seriously and mature through the years, they are still worried about partying and shit that doesn't matter. Not worth the time. Sometimes you need to create some distance.

Who that the snooty girl from nickelodeon my brother and me would grow up to be just as snooty in one of favorite shows 20 years later (Amanda diva).

Lawrence was also still collecting unemployment.  So it wasn't as if no money in the couples till came from him.  I think Lawrence did make a choice to suit Issa.  And he was letting disappointment become a sort of delayed entitlement.   But I think he should be afforded a sense of some sacrifice taking the job at Best Buy.  It was a move for him emotionally in the wrong direction.  And he also saw it as further means of stagnation.  I know people who have been there that not just saw the same thing but had the experience of seeing potential hirings seeing the same thing.  To go from a salaried job in your field to working service for minimum can slap you with a scent of defeat and just plain lack.  I liked that Lawrence was not a dead beat but just defeated.  I liked that he did go to Best Buy.  But he did it to show Issa he was "working" not to bring in the dollars. 

Lawrence has his flaws.  I wanted to smack him when he saw his new job hire as more proof he should be doing his own thing.  He is short sighted and he is too determined that he should achieve what he wants on his terms and it is all or nothing.  But Issa also simply wanted movement on his part and didn't care in what direction.  Not for him, but for her.  And for her perceptions.  Her flirting with breaking up with him was after being shown the path she didn't take and felt in someway was denied her.  So she took that out on Lawrence.  And Lawrence pushed himself into the direction she wanted.  Even if it was the right one, it was because of her.  So I can see and feel his anger was justified at doing what he saw was a move in a direction he felt was not the right one to go in.  He did do it for her. 

I do wish Lawrence had not gotten with the bank teller.  Not in a moral way.  If Lawrence feels he is done with Issa he can fuck who he wants.  But simply that it is trite and it plays into some tropes that certainly hold true -- that sex is a weapon and that infidelity breeds revenge.  It does.  Sometimes.  But it would be more interesting if Lawrence turned out to not be that guy.  Because that also is a truth. 

There is a lot of simmering resentment in that group of four friends.  I'm glad Molly and Issa came out through it but I have to wonder about the other two.  I think it was in part because Molly realized that Issa's accusations didn't just come from a lashing out after having her own problems thrown at her.  But Issa's were provoked by circumstance.  The other two just let fly with enough alcohol to loose the truth.  It will be interesting to see where a second season picks up in regards to not just Issa and Lawrence but where the four women go as well. 

• Love 3

We call Tasha "Chase Ho" because of the Insecuritea podcast, not that we think she is a whore. It's funny.

I think it was fitting for Issa and Molly to end up on the bouch.  She probably won't stay in that apartment next season. She should chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on with her life.

I wish Lawrence hadn't called Issa and got her hopes up. Once you say you're done, that's it!  That "I hate you but I miss you nope I really hate you" phone call was the real gag.

We probably won't see Jared anymore. I would think way less of him if he decided to take Molly back after all her nonsense. 

• Love 1

Best Buy shirt. Damn. Classic move.

Great episode. Strong end to a season. 

When the dudes were at the strip club talking about black women growing up without fathers in the house. Would've loved if even one of them countered with "we didn't either" or something along those lines. Cause, ya know...if we're opening that can of worms. The train travels on both tracks.

I think this show will come back even stronger next year. Looking forward to seeing how the show and the characters grow.

Kelli had great adlibs. "You ever shared a room with someone who screams themselves awake?"  Rolling.

"You look like Twilight?"  and "I do. I have a podcast."

Small doses if you're her friend but she cracks me up.

• Love 6

I feel for both Issa and Lawrence, but their relationship probably needed to end for reasons other than infidelity.

Lawrence is a "good" man, but I don't think they are on the same wavelength--they love each other a lot and are comfortable with one another. I think they also genuinely enjoy each other as well, but something is missing.

Keep in mind, when Lawrence's friend mentioned marriage, Lawrence was fine with the status quo. It's one thing if Lawrence didn't want to get married because marriage isn't his thing, but he had to be led to the idea in the first place and this is after five years of dating. So, what exactly were his long term goals for their relationship? When we first meet him, he seriously doing nothing with himself, not helping out in their home, and forgot her birthday and/or wanted to forego plans to just sit on the couch. Issa had to push him to even get where he ended in the season finale job wise. He's a good man when shit is going well for him and just there when things aren't going so great. She most likely pushed him to take that tech job because of how he got when he was unemployed.

Now, Issa has her flaws as well: she is passive aggressive, needs to communicate better, can be short sighted, and self centered. There is genuine love for Lawrence, but he appears to be more of a safety option someone she actually wants to be with. After Lawrence got his shit together, she seemed more into him and wanted to make it work because motivated now happy Lawrence is attractive, but it just seems like the relationship ran it's course and they are staying because it's safe.

Issa fucked up, but I can't blame the sole dissolution of their relationship on her, it's just that her infidelity is the catalyst behind the finally breaking up. As Electric said, Lawrence didn't fix his shit because he got a job, he just did what he needed to do. I believe it's bogus that her friends framed their relationship as great and perfect and something she ruined when that's not really what happened. Issa shouldn't had cheated and communicated her dissatisfaction with Lawrence regarding their relationship, but Lawrence played a part in this too.   

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Amethyst said:

And Tiffany deserved to get read like that.  Especially acting like Issa and Kelli were only Molly's friends.  Her bringing up the breakup between Issa and Lawrence was a low blow. 

I don't like either of the not-Molly friends (although Kelly was cracking me up. "Is that why Lawrence hit you?") Tiffany is passive-aggressive and snobby (I'd have been through at "She doesn't have nice things"), and Kelly is too much.

Where they do the random drop-ins at your job at? At a NEW job, at that? That's some shit they only do on TV.

19 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think the biggest signal that this show was written by a woman was in how it accurately (IMO) pointed out that Lawrence's dating life post-Issa will likely be a lot easier for him than it will be for her. 

Yep. His pool is going to be pretty big. I feel a little sorry for the teller because I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to be a one-night stand/rebound fling, but odds are good that Lawrence is going to play the field for a while. I hope he at least stays respectful though - all that nonsense his friends were spitting about how real black women stay with men even though men have second families is just that.

I'm glad Molly is going to get herself together. Or at least try.

• Love 1

This episode was excellent.  What a strong first season.

Stuff I loved:

- The Best Buy shirt, swinging all alone on its hanger in the empty closet.  Yup, petty as hell and I loved it!

- The look on Kelli's face when Molly announced she'd take the other upstairs bedroom next to Tiffany

- The jacket Issa wore when she went thirstily to Lawrence's place of business

- How authentically awkward and painful Issa's attempts to talk to Molly at first and Molly's freeze out.  Both women were perfect.

- The commitment of the actors who play Lawrence and Tasha because that sex scene was raw as hell.  That was some angry, desperate fucking (I can't even call that sex)...

- Issa and Molly's defense of each other, Issa apologizing to her while "practicing" her apology to Lawrence,  and the final scene.  Yes!  Issa Rae did not let me down, so happy Molly and Issa's friendship survived this.

- Molly was watching 'Middle of Nowhere' the film by Ava Duvernay during her phone conversation with Issa. 

- Most of Kelli's lines.  Yeah she got sucked into Tiffany's vortex of, well, suck, but overall I like Kelli. Loved her "Twiight" line, cuz, dude was so pale he did look a little iron deficient.

Stuff I didn't love:

- Tiffany.  My god she is the worst.  I'll bet her face book page is nothing but a lot of "look how fab my life is" pictures and humblebrags.

- Lawrence calling Issa and getting her hopes up only to leave like that.  Better to have just left and let her come back and discover he'd left.  I know Issa cheated but she wasn't cruel about it.  That felt cruel.

- Molly's youngster.  Eep.  Although his "I still have a week left on my subscription to Tidal" was funny.

And finally -- I know what a casita is!  But only because it is mentioned in Fox and O'Hare  FBI book series by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg.   BTW, those books are excellent, highly recommend, especially on audio.

Edited by DearEvette
12 hours ago, RedKoolAide said:

Of course he would choose the woman who he doesn't have to put in work with. Chase heifer thinks having a job and no kids is enough to make him a "good" man

No "work" is the stripper/prostitute.  They get paid to go away.  The teller is someone he has developed some kind of casual friendship with over the course of their business interactions and the one time they ran into one another and ate together. He wasn't intentionally putting in "work" per se but the relationship was being built all the same.  As for thinking he's "good," she has more information than most people have about a first date because of that casual time they spent together.  In addition, she also knows he turned her down at one point because he had a girlfriend. 

3 hours ago, Nanrad said:

I believe it's bogus that her friends framed their relationship as great and perfect and something she ruined when that's not really what happened. Issa shouldn't had cheated and communicated her dissatisfaction with Lawrence regarding their relationship, but Lawrence played a part in this too.   

This is certainly one way of looking at it and I know many see it this way but I guess I saw their early episodes relationship as just part of the natural ebb and flow that long term relationships can go through.  Five years is a long time and having one partner out of work can be a stressor.  Once they got through that, I thought they legitimately seemed happy.  Sometimes infidelity is indicative of something deeper but sometimes it's just a really bad decision borne out of lust.

• Love 1

Plus I think a big part of that "great and perfect" might have come from Issa herself.  It is clear that we are not seeing all the interactions with this group as per this episode's conversations and the one two before with the play.  As viewers we saw Issa do an about face when Lawrence got the job with Best Buy.  She redefined their relationship just on that.  And then goes to full burble of happiness and contentment that she likely conveyed to everyone else in their group.  From their standpoint I'm not sure how unfair it is that the relationship is great and perfect if they have Issa as the common point of reference with an occasional meet with Lawrence.

I might find Kelli annoying but her character does have the best lines. 

'you're face is like Staci's Dash's after being told she was black" (not sure I got the wording just right but it was funny as hell)

• Love 1
On 11/28/2016 at 4:41 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This episode was good because it had so many real moments. All of Issa and Molly's awkward interactions were so realistically painful to watch. Also painfully realistic: the conversation between the four guys throwing dollar bills at strippers as they talked about how women these days just aren't as loyal as they used to be like the one guy's grandmother who stayed with her husband even though he cheated on her all the time and had a second family. It just makes me shake my head that this is being held up as an example of a good thing. And if that's true, then why isn't turnabout fair play? By that token, Lawrence should stay with Issa even though she slept with Daniel.

I'm constantly amazed at how often this narrative is thrown at BW to gaslight us into accepting utter foolishness. Yes, Issa was an idiot to act out her junior high school fantasies with Daniel, but that scene (and this line of black male thinking and their expectation of one-sided loyalty) absolutely made me cringe.  I was already to come on here and d*mn near write a dissertation on the matter, but others have already beaten me to it.  Both these articles perfectly express how I feel. The first article is called, Lawrence, 'Insecure" and the myth of the good guy.  Then second is titled, On the 'Insecure" finale and the ridiculous notion of "Building A Man".

http://www.ebony.com/love-sex/insecure-finale-lawrence#axzz4RPNDdEl5

and

https://madamenoire.com/727394/insecure-finale-building-man/

BTW, when you try to "Build A Man", all you're doing is building him for the next woman.  Why?  Because after you upgrade him, he's going to find an upgrade of his own, and she'll be the woman who he feels reflects his new status (and the one who can never remind him of all her contributions).

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 20

Issa, Jay Ellis (Lawrence), and writer Prentice Penny did a fb live session last night. They answered several audience questions about the finale. Spoiler tagged because I know some don't like to read behind the scenes stuff and there's one slightly spoiler thing from season 2.

Spoiler

1) Lawrence didnt call Issa on purpose knowing he was going to Tasha's. He was having a vulnerable moment but once he got back to the apartment and saw Thug Yoda, the bouch, etc it made him feel like he was going backwards so he decided to go.

2) The Best Buy shirt wasn't meant to be petty. It was just a symbol of everything he did for the relationship and how he was leaving it behind. Jay Ellis said he wasn't on set the day Issa shot that scene so he didn't know about the shirt until he watched the episode.

3) How did he get Tasha's number? They all agreed that she's the type to say "let me text you this funny video/pic I saw" and probably did that over lunch one day. Nothing sinister about it.

4) Did Lawrence emotionally cheat by getting his ego stroked by Tasha? Jay says no, Prentice says not really but they agree that they wouldn't be happy about their gf/wife doing the same and wouldn't want to know about it.

5) Yes the strip club conversation was hypocritical and illogical but Prentice said it was based on real life convos he's heard and that's why it was important.

6) Jay Ellis was upset when he read the script for episode 5 when Issa cheated. Issa said he treated her differently the next day lol. He said it was hard to wrap his mind around. Prentice said a lot of men were shook because they don't imagine their girlfriends falling in lust and cheating as easily as some men do.

7) Real life couples are arguing or not speaking to each other over this episode and they are glad it started a conversation.

8) They plan to revisit Issa's feelings for Daniel in season 2.

9) Issa and Jay disagree on Lawrence getting himself together for her. She thinks that's some shit you do for yourself.

That's all I can remember. It's about an hour long and really funny. Watch if you can.

• Love 6

My take on the Lawrence conversation with Issa was that it was genuine in the moment albeit skewed because of his current location. He was in a strip club and after being overwhelmed with his boys ridiculous conversation and the strippers proposition I felt he had the feeling of missing something real and he reached out to Issa.  I think he was truthful in wanting to meet and talk but once he stepped foot in the apartment he was hit in the face the problems with the relationship and he realized it was over.  Leaving the keys and the Best Buy shirt were just symbols of moving on, the key – he don’t live there anymore and the Best Buy shirt – that man doesn’t exist anymore.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ridethemaverick said:

Issa, Jay Ellis (Lawrence), and writer Prentice Penny did a fb live session last night. They answered several audience questions about the finale. Spoiler tagged because I know some don't like to read behind the scenes stuff and there's one slightly spoiler thing from season 2.

Reveal hidden contents

1) Lawrence didnt call Issa on purpose knowing he was going to Tasha's. He was having a vulnerable moment but once he got back to the apartment and saw Thug Yoda, the bouch, etc it made him feel like he was going backwards so he decided to go.

2) The Best Buy shirt wasn't meant to be petty. It was just a symbol of everything he did for the relationship and how he was leaving it behind. Jay Ellis said he wasn't on set the day Issa shot that scene so he didn't know about the shirt until he watched the episode.

3) How did he get Tasha's number? They all agreed that she's the type to say "let me text you this funny video/pic I saw" and probably did that over lunch one day. Nothing sinister about it.

4) Did Lawrence emotionally cheat by getting his ego stroked by Tasha? Jay says no, Prentice says not really but they agree that they wouldn't be happy about their gf/wife doing the same and wouldn't want to know about it.

5) Yes the strip club conversation was hypocritical and illogical but Prentice said it was based on real life convos he's heard and that's why it was important.

6) Jay Ellis was upset when he read the script for episode 5 when Issa cheated. Issa said he treated her differently the next day lol. He said it was hard to wrap his mind around. Prentice said a lot of men were shook because they don't imagine their girlfriends falling in lust and cheating as easily as some men do.

7) Real life couples are arguing or not speaking to each other over this episode and they are glad it started a conversation.

8) They plan to revisit Issa's feelings for Daniel in season 2.

9) Issa and Jay disagree on Lawrence getting himself together for her. She thinks that's some shit you do for yourself.

That's all I can remember. It's about an hour long and really funny. Watch if you can.

Ok, that makes me a feel a bit better about Lawrence's phone call.  It is always interesting how a viewer or reader interprets the work of a filmmaker or author versus the intent.

I actually do believe the hypocritical conversation at the strip club was very deliberately put there just because Issa strikes me as a very smart filmmaker and that conversation, juxtaposed with Lawrence's upset and his boys' upset over Issa cheating is just the sort of thing that this show would do.

• Love 2

I'm glad they put it in there, why pretend? This is exactly what they want. Total loyalty and fidelity while they take a shit all over you time and time again, and you forgive it, because ? We're men and we can't help it, it's what we do, you have to accept it if you want a man. That entire convo. in the club was very real to me. Hell,  I heard the comedian DL Hughley on his radio show talking about how men can love two women at the same time but a woman can't love more than one man. And he was NOT joking, he was serious, from his male point of view. Because he said when a woman cheats it's a sign that she does not respect the man. I kid you not, this was conversation.

That being said, I already posted that I have no criticism of Lawrence in terms of how he dealt with being cheated on, none. My issue is th how Issa probably would have been crapped on if she was the one cheated on, if she was in Lawrence's shoes.  As in, you must be doing something wrong so what do you expect a man to do... and she'd be getting the criticism not just from the men but from her fellow women.

Yeah, but even in this instance, Daniel wasn't some dude she just met at work and they couldn't help it, she had history with him. So even  in this instance it's not a clear cut example of falling in lust, like these men would do with women they have no history with.  They just want what they see or some shit like she makes me feel and you don't......blah, blah, blah and they cheat. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2

You know, I'm still fuming over the black male nostalgia for the "good old days" of grandma accepting any old behavior and staying.  Someone needs to tell them that grandma was born in a time when families married their daughters off at the ungodly ages of 13, 14, 15.  By the time they were 21 they were  burdened with abusive husbands, a house full of children to feed, little to no education to support themselves and their children, and few resources. They weren't loyal; they were stuck. While some women today still find themselves in similarly hopeless situations, thank God most black women in the US have much better options.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

You know, I'm still fuming over the black male nostalgia for the "good old days" of grandma accepting any old behavior and staying.  Someone needs to tell them that grandma was born in a time when families married their daughters off at the ungodly ages of 13, 14, 15.  By the time they were 21 they were  burdened with abusive husbands, a house full of children to feed, little to no education to support themselves and their children, and few resources. They weren't loyal; they were stuck. While some women today still find themselves in similarly hopeless situations, thank God most black women in the US have much better options.

Right, as they were saying in that club, "the good old days," that's what they want. They don't care about what you describe, they don't see that as a problem. Unless it's they're daughters maybe. Which is hypocritical of course because if they could get away with fucking an under aged girl they would, the younger the better, if it were acceptable in our society today, more of them would definitely go there. The older these men get the worse it gets, never young enough.

But hey, I'm certainly open for the majority of them to tell me otherwise, that I don't know what I'm talking about but...

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, announcergirl said:

I prefer Daniel's style, but would fall back on Lawrence if need be. See what I did there?! ☺️

1 hour ago, Brooklynista said:

UMMM....where can I sign up for the Lawrence is heartbroken special because he was putting it DOWN.

Both were really good!!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, tenativelyyours said:

Hey let's not forget Jared and "blue apron".  There's something to be said about a bit of witty repartee while testing the dry wall's strength.

Now see, when you mentioned dry walls, I was like, oh, it shouldn't be dry ... 

But then I reread it and realized that you were talking about an actual wall. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah, both were really good but Lawrence is the one I'd want to roll over and look at afterwards, not Daniel.

Lawrence is more my type physically and uhhhh sexually (cus lawd that scene had me wanting to trade places with bank teller Cheesus!!!!) But sometimes I do enjoy what Daniel was serving on birthdays, valentines day, anniversaries. LOL :-)

• Love 7

Someone tweeted that the last scene had them sad and turned on. That was so me. I literally said "nooooooooo, omg!...Well damn." 

I have questions tho. About the...choreography and logistics. Also, why can't all Ebony porn look like that? That there was black excellence.

• Love 11