Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E13: Week 10

• Start Topic

Here's Week 10 - from DWTSgossip

Calvin and Lindsay
Individual Dance – Tango (Song: “Seven Nation Army” by The White Stripes)
Trio with Witney – Salsa (Song: “Limbo” by Daddy Yankee)
1-800-868-3403

James and Sharna
Individual Dance – Argentine Tango (Song: “Santa Maria” by Gotan Project)
Trio with Jenna – Jive (Song: Give Me Some Lovin'” by the Spencer Davis Group)
1-800-868-3405

Terra and Sasha
Individual Dance – Rumba (Song: “Scars to Your Beautiful” by Alessia Cara)
Trio with Artem – Tango (Song: “Hideaway” by Kieszia)
1-800-868-3412

Jana and Gleb
Individual Dance – Quickstep (Song: “Go Mama” by Wayne Beckford)
Trio with Alan – Paso Doble (Song: “Kill of the Night” by Gin Wigmore)
1-800-868-3406

Laurie and Val
Individual Dance – Foxtrot (Song: “Hollow” by Tori Kelly)
Trio with Maks – Samba (Song: Magalenha” by Sergio Mendez)
1-800-868-3407

I call BS! Terra's dance better than James? NO WAY Jose! Are they trying to get rid of him? As soon as the judges were through, I quickly watched it again...I had to see that I actually saw what I saw...what an ending, what a dance!!!!!!Carrie Ann cannot go away fast enough for me.

• Love 6

Well, we're to that point where judges scores are meaningless and their comments are unhelpful. A perfect score for Terra? No mention from lift-police Carrie Anne about the lift in Jana's quickstep?  Come on, at least be consistent with the crappy judging. 

I can only figure that someone somewhere knows Terra is going home tonight and wanted to send her out on a high score. 

Jana's facial expressions still annoy me. 

I still love James's enthusiasm and humility. 

• Love 11

So I think Terra was overscored tonight, but if he's okay with it I'm also okay with highlighting Artem as eyecandy.

I was also vaguely scared Artem actually got the neck tattoos until I saw them on Sasha, too.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, McManda said:

Well, we're to that point where judges scores are meaningless and their comments are unhelpful. A perfect score for Terra? No mention from lift-police Carrie Anne about the lift in Jana's quickstep?  Come on, at least be consistent with the crappy judging. 

I can only figure that someone somewhere knows Terra is going home tonight and wanted to send her out on a high score. 

Jana's facial expressions still annoy me. 

I still love James's enthusiasm and humility. 

I hope you're right about the judges wanting to send Terra home with perfect scores.  I feel like the judges constantly drown her in praise when her performances are good but not great.  Her rumba was painful to watch, & while I respect her overcoming adversity and I think she's a sweet person, I really don't want her to take a spot in the finals from a more deserving dancer. ?

• Love 3

I never really feel bad for the couple that gets eliminated the week before the finals, mostly because they'll be back to dance next week anyway and in the end, what did having the mirror ball trophy really mean? 

That said, I'll miss Terra and Sasha, mostly because I've grown to love their partnership.

And because I still don't understand how Jana and Gleb are still around. She's ... fine, but I don't find anything special or unique about her  dancing or her  partnership with Gleb.

• Love 5

This is the RIGHT Final 4.  Terra should not have been overscored - just because TPTB knew she was leaving.  Not fair to the other more deserving contestants.  They pulled the same stunt with Marilu last week.

Edited by escape
  • Love 13

And because I still don't understand how Jana and Gleb are still around. She's ... fine, but I don't find anything special or unique about her  dancing or her  partnership with Gleb.

Gleb is HOT, that's my reason, LOL.

I want Val & Laurie to win.

• Love 4

There's something about Jenna that bugs me. When Sharna is dancing and looks at the camera, she tends to give this cat eye, smouldering, sexy look that works for her. But when Jenna does it (and she seems to do it frequently), it comes across as desperate. "I'm sooo hot, guys. Like, totally. Just look at me. Don't you think I'm sooo hot?"

The end was interesting. Calvin had a smile on his face, completely unworried about the result, and Terra was already grimacing and looking down. Almost like they already knew...

I call bullshit on about half the scores tonight.

• Love 7

I thought Terra was amazing and I would really have liked her to stay over Jana.  James and Sharnas dances were amazing!  The football player did have a major slip in his first dance, and I didn't think the samba was all that great - but I love hime and think he's awesome.  Poor Laurie.  She has more professionalism in her little finger than the majority of adults in the world.  I was very choked up during her dance.

My final would be Laurie, James, Terra and the football player whose name I can never remember.

Chick who danced with James and Sharna totally pulls focus from the celebrity and is a total fame whore.

• Love 3

I really was pissed that Jana made the finals.  That QS was a mess, all the flubs by Gleb, high shoulders again, breaking hold... ugh.  That Paso Doble gosh, what was the deal with that grimace all the way through?  

Anyway my favorite dances were James and Sharna's AT and, Jive,  Calvin's Salsa,  Lauries Samba,  Terras Tango.

• Love 2

I usually don't cry when I watch tv shows or movies, but Laurie's grandmother's passing really got to me. I think we can all relate to how she must've been feeling if you've experienced the loss of a loved one. That being said, kudos to Laurie for keeping it together and delivering such a beautiful foxtrot. Her samba trio with Val and Maks was pretty good too. I'm so happy she's in the finals and I hope she ends up winning, but I know James has a very good chance of winning instead.

I really enjoyed Calvin's salsa trio with Witney and Lindsay. It was a lot of fun and for a minute there, I was afraid he would be eliminated because I think he deserves to be in the finals. 

Terra and Sasha were a lovely partnership. I think Sasha was the perfect partner for her and managed to choreograph dances that suited her.

• Love 13

Week 10 already! Only 1 week to go.  Let's see how they fight for the final:

James - Wow what an AT! She was showing complete trust that James would be exactly where he needs to be when he needs to be there.  Clearly CAI was making an excuse for her 9.  I didn't see what she was complaining about - probably just leaving room for Laurie.  Scores should have been a 30 but whatev!

Terra - A little too fast for my taste but the music forced the speed.  She did well though.  Alot of repeated moves but Terra gave it her all and really played the role.  CAI working up the tears - oh please!  Scores? Now CAI break out the 10?  Obvious positioning for the finals.

Jana - An odd start on the upper stage and then seeing Hayley (I think it was her) running off into the audience. Slippery floor - Gleb barely kept upright after jumping over Jana and then slipped again.  I'd think they would have fixed the slippery shoes in dress rehearsal.  The dance was good but not remarkable.  Wouldn't the flip be called a lift?  9s were fine, not sure what Bruno saw that justified a 10.

Calvin - A little freaky, but I liked it. The hands coming out of the wall - weird.  One pretty obvious error, Lindsay was trying for all she was worth to hang on to that move.  But other than that error, I enjoyed it.  I think (hope) Calvin is loved enough that the voters won't hold it against him.  That 8 from CAI was too harsh. All 9s would have been enough penalty.

Laurie - She has a really hard time letting go of her feelings.  That was sad and my condolences to her and her family but I'm feeling a little manipulated by the show.  Val really likes the dark outfits/dark stage/flashing lights staging - he does this again and again and annoys me every time.  It was hard for me to see.  Scores as expected, whatever she did.

Trio Dances:

James - Not the greatest trio choreography I've ever seen but James looked completely in sync.  Sometimes a simpler choreo works best.  I enjoyed it. Bonus - no camera hogging by Jenna!  I'm happy for the scores.

Terra - This choreo just didn't work for Terra.  Yes, Bruno + CAI, they framed it around her but she did alot of walking and posing while Sasha and Artem added the drama.  Disagree with the scores.  She didn't do enough in the dance.

Jana - Alot of fierce faces but her moves seem too soft. A little OTT from CAI!  Jana did more in this dance than Terra did in her dance, but once again there was alot of posing while Gleb and Alan added all the drama.  A real 10-fest tonight. Overscored.

Calvin - This seemed more about Lindsay and Witney playing off each other and using Calvin as a jungle gym.  Didn't care for this. Aww Lindsay, you're better than this!  Calvin CAN dance and should have been featured with Lindsay and Witney framing HIM.  Fail!   Funny, how it was Erin who pointed out the dance had a rough start and about the NFL taking a toll on his body. Scores! Ridiculous.

Laurie -  Not sure I liked the concept. I guess it was cute.  The beginning was rough but once they got to the "competition" part, it was very good.  The 10s were deserved.

Conflicted - Not sure who I wanted to leave this week, Jana or Terra.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, RedFiat said:

I really was pissed that Jana made the finals.  That QS was a mess, all the flubs by Gleb, high shoulders again, breaking hold... ugh.  That Paso Doble gosh, what was the deal with that grimace all the way through?  

*puts on an innocent face* But didn't all the judges tell them that it was a perfect, proper quickstep?

The teeth baring grimace during the dance was giggle worthy. I kept thinking, "Damn, girl, you're supposed to look passionate and intense, not like someone grabbed the last pair of jeans in your size off the table on Black Friday and you're gonne take them down."

I usually find Jana so generic and bland. Hey, at least she made me feel something? Hiccups from laughing count, right?

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Hook75 said:

Gleb is HOT, that's my reason, LOL.

I respect that as a reason to vote (i've admittedly done my fair share) and on paper Gleb ticks all the boxes I have for a physically attractive man, but ... there's something missing, because for some reason he's just not  to me. 

I also think that he's much like Allison, except ballroom trained. Meaning, I'm not sure he could take a challenging partner and make her a better dancer. Jana came out of the gate ahead of a lot of others, but I haven't seen any improvement in her dancing. 

• Love 7

I agree that Gleb/Jane are still around because he's easy on the eyes & they have fiery chemistry.  Sharna/James have some heat, but  Lindsay/Calvin and Laurie/Val both have sibling type relationships.  So I think a lot of people are drawn in by Gleb/Jana's sparks.  I'm indifferent to their staying.  The other three couples are the ones I really wanted to see in the finals, & I can't wait to see their freestyles!   ?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Ripley68 said:

Chick who danced with James and Sharna totally pulls focus from the celebrity and is a total fame whore.

Since all I watched was James and Sharna, I didn't even notice Jenna!

• Love 2

[Oprah voice] YOU get a10! And YOU get a 10![/Oprah voice]

I love watching Laurie, James, and Calvin dance. Terra and Jena, not so much.

Tears from Tom . . .and Carrie's and Erin's responses were perfect.

Edited by Archery
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

*puts on an innocent face* But didn't all the judges tell them that it was a perfect, proper quickstep?

The teeth baring grimace during the dance was giggle worthy. I kept thinking, "Damn, girl, you're supposed to look passionate and intense, not like someone grabbed the last pair of jeans in your size off the table on Black Friday and you're gonne take them down."

I usually find Jana so generic and bland. Hey, at least she made me feel something? Hiccups from laughing count, right?

LOL!

• Love 1

Val was so sweet and supportive. Did I imagine it or did he give her a kiss on a forehead during the dance. There was a somewhat awkward moment of his head bobbing towards her, that didn't look like it was a part of choreography.

Also... when Artem was dancing... was anyone else on the floor? lol only saw him 

• Love 2
Just now, vavera4ka said:

Val was so sweet and supportive. Did I imagine it or did he give her a kiss on a forehead during the dance. There was a somewhat awkward moment of his head bobbing towards her, that didn't look like it was a part of choreography. 

I saw the kiss on the forehead, too. I believe she also wiped a tear away earlier in the dance.  

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Uke said:

That was sad and my condolences to her and her family but I'm feeling a little manipulated by the show.

I'm torn, because I feel for her being sixteen years old and losing her grandma and maybe dealing with the guilt of being away for the Olympics and this show and maybe not spending as much time with her as she wanted and having to set all that aside and come out and dance in front of America to all these expectations ...

... but after seasons of dead dads and lost limbs and most inspiring stories ever... jaded me also felt manipulated. Like Laurie losing her grandma was the story of the week, instead of a real loss.

I want to give Laurie a hug and let her cry and tell DWTS to lay off on using personal tragedies as voter manipulations.

• Love 6

I have to say I enjoyed all the dances tonight...the Trios and everything..I could be super-critical but with all the real-world drama in the last week....It was nice to get lost in Tom Bergeron's snark.....Bruno's flair for outlandish comparisons...and CAI's waterworks...

Plus, seeing James dance...sigh....my kind of night...and I am bummed that Terra went home but she managed to finish in the Top Five..

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, McManda said:

I'm torn, because I feel for her being sixteen years old and losing her grandma and maybe dealing with the guilt of being away for the Olympics and this show and maybe not spending as much time with her as she wanted and having to set all that aside and come out and dance in front of America to all these expectations ...

... but after seasons of dead dads and lost limbs and most inspiring stories ever... jaded me also felt manipulated. Like Laurie losing her grandma was the story of the week, instead of a real loss.

I want to give Laurie a hug and let her cry and tell DWTS to lay off on using personal tragedies as voter manipulations.

I was left pretty dry eyed over the whole story because of those very reasons you listed. But Terra became my hero after that, because when Val and Laurie were in the back, after they got their scores, you could still see the emotion on everyone's faces. And Terra pops up in the back in her trench coat, rips it open, and starts doing a little solo bump and grind. I snorted loud enough that my cat jumped. I'd like to think that even the East German judge would give her a 10 for that one.

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 4

I never cry at these dances but Laurie's dance for her Grandmother had me sitting on the bus crying. Alzheimer's is a God awful disease. I did not feel manipulated because her grandma just passed. If I had to sit through a whole season of that it would be different.

Laurie's trio dance was joyful and the concept was original. 

Maks! GD!

Terra is a true inspiration.

Thank you DWTS for taking me away from  the awfulness that has been this past week.

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 14

That was a very good night of dancing, I thought. Everyone was great. And since the scoring doesn't mean jack anyway, sure, give everyone tens, why not.

I think Terra's been super all season, since her height means she can't quite do what all the other contestants do it can't have been easy, she and Sasha had to deal with that, and they were entertaining throughout IMO. Job well done.

James recovered from last week's mishap, so that was good. And yay, Sharna's back! (-: Calvin is dancing really well for someone so tall and the lifts they do are mind-boggling! I like Jana's dances, but I always forget her a bit afterwards. I think it's Gleb's choreo, I'm not quite sure it works for me. I saw what he did on the Russian version of the show with Adelina Sotnikova, and IMO he did more interesting work there.

Laurie is brilliant. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to dance after a loved one just passed a day earlier, that must be so hard. I've been a fan of Val's puristic approach all season, and I continue to be. Those were two great dances with a minimum of frills, even the "teacher Maks" concept was fully integrated into the dance and didn't detract from samba content at all. And I loved that her package was about her Puerto Rican heritage and how proud her whole family was talking about that.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, gohawks said:

I did not feel manipulated because her grandma just passed

I think this is why I felt like it was a manipulation. Laurie hasn't had time to process or grieve and DWTS is throwing it into her prep package right after Laurie admitting  that she feels guilty for being away and not visiting as often as she should have but it'll be okay because she'll get time soon.

The card about her grandma's passing would have been enough. But to place it where they did, and frame it like they did, and follow it up with a silent shot of Laurie crying on Val's shoulder ... seemed like pandering. 

Doing get me wrong, I think everyone should support Laurie and her family. But they shouldn't have made it into the story of the week when those involved are still trying to process it. 

• Love 4

Gleb reminds me of a cross between James Franco and Matt Dillon's character in There's Something About Mary. I still can't figure out what it is about him and Jana that seems very intimate. It's not that they're touchy with each other -- Sharna is very touchy with her partners, too -- but something about it that makes it seem not platonic. 

And perhaps that's why watching them makes me cringe a little.  They're great and bring the emotion, but it just feels icky to me.

Megatron is fun to watch. He's not the best dancer but has an awesome attitude and great smile.

It was the right time for Terra to leave. No shame in top 5. 

I feel Hinch is the most fearless contestant. I always find myself wondering what surprise element he and Sharna will add to their routine. He (and Laurie) are the only ones I stop what I am doing to watch. I could have done without the horrible rendition of Gimme Some Lovin', though. 

Just love Laurie. I didn't feel manipulated. As someone mentioned above, loved the kiss on the forehead during the routine, and the heaviness in her heart was very obvious. 

Laurie FTW, with Hinch 2nd. 

• Love 4

My grandmother passed away about a year ago and DWTS was the thing we shared and talked about each Monday. So this really hit me hard. I didn't feel manipulated because how could they have not talked about it. We had Jana's stuff and James sob story too, so it's not like she's being singled out.

I never would've been able to get through that dance and to see her wiping a tear and get right back into was incredible.

Her Samba trio was great too. Nice to see her get a real proper Samba track after that techno, laser light Salsa. She won the night for me.

James' Jive was his best dance, IMO, because that Argentine Tango didn't do anything for me. Sharna is a pro so her wearing the blindfold wasn't surprising as much and it's not like the male celebs really properly lead anyway. Nix the blindfold (which has been done multiple times now) and it was just a run of the mill Argentine Tango. I noticed the slight wobbles that Carrie Ann mentioned.

Calvin's dances tonight were messy, especially that Tango, not semi-final worthy in any way and that Salsa got a 30 because all of the Trios did and the lifts cause the Salsa content wasn't perfect and some messy passes.

Terra was a goner for me when she got the 30 for that Rumba. Her Tango Trio deserved it, but that Rumba was good but a 27-29 at best.

Jana's QS wasn't her strongest, but that Paso Trio was the most confident and sure footed i've seen of her and she was fierce too.

• Love 6

Laurie was on top again and I feel like she is cementing her place for the win.  Flawless.

I guess if I voted with my head I would would vote for Laurie and if I vote with my heart it is James because his trust that he is putting in Sharna and dancing with everything he's got even if he is not complete perfection as far as technique.   He is the kind of celeb I watch DWTS for.

Calvin has slipped for me although I love his personality and attack.  Jana is peaking at the right time and I can see her in the finals. 

Edited by Mondayeve
  • Love 2

Personally, I saw no manipulation from Laurie. This was the week where they all shared their stories. Laurie's life started with her grandmother immigrating to America. It happened unexpectedly and I thought their dance was more a tribute to her grandmother than anything else. I actually think it's quite touching that they have such sweet footage from before she passed away. I also think that if Laurie and her family didn't want that part included in her package, they could have easily said no. People grieve in different ways and I think there's something so incredible about sharing a small piece of their grandmother with such a large audience. It's not like they were beating it over our heads all season. Just watched the dance again on YouTube and couldn't help but cry. I find Laurie to be incredibly strong for being able to dance after that package. Not to mention, I adore Val's protectiveness over her. Great pairing.

Their trio with Maks was awesome, too. A lot of content and so well executed. I like that Val is taking his time and actually teaching her dance without relying on gymnastic tricks and flips. There's no hiding a lack of technique behind flashy flips and tumbles. Val always has some of my favorite choreography. Much like Artem, they both choreograph traditional routines, which on this show is a breath of fresh air.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
Grammar!
  • Love 11

Carrie Ann makes her favoritism and selective critiquing very obvious. If there was a "wobble" in James' performance it was the tiniest of wobbles that she could have found in a performance she gave a 10 to. 

Not the greatest night for Calvin. I thought his Salsa looked sloppy. I usually like Lindsay but I find myself disappointed in the choreo tonight.

Jana is just there. Laurie is gonna win.

• Love 1

I didn't feel manipulated by Laurie's story for several reasons. First of all, we weren't given the "Laurie's grandmother has Alzheimer's" story week after week, unlike some of the other obviously emotional manipulation we have had with previous contestants.

Secondly, this JUST happened so obviously it's going to affect her. To pretend otherwise would be disingenuous. Sure, she could have tried to hide the information from the show and the public, but if she wants to be honest about it and let the producers use the footage, that's her choice. Being a gymnast makes you tough so I don't think Laurie or anyone in her family thought she should drop out of the competition at this point because of her grandmother's death. If anything, I would guess that her grandmother would have encouraged her to see it through to the end. 

• Love 10

Gleb is a sloppy dancer. In his season in the UK, he dropped three different partners, and one of them was unable to appear on the tour because of it. I think he's also leading whatsername on because showmances are the key to making it on these crappy shows.

• Love 2

Love James and Sharna.  They seemed so happy to be back together.  James' girlfriend reminds me of Heather Graham.  The tango was compelling, and the trio dance was fun.

FF Terra

I guess I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't enjoy Jana.  She's doing things well, but I just don't care.  It always seems too much like an athletic performance than an artistic one. 

I loved the costuming and choreography with Calvin and Lindsey. I always find them exciting to watch, but I think it's getting tougher for him.  The trio was entertaining, but also seemed like something I'd see as resort entertainment.  A very nice resort, but still.  I think this week will hurt him. 

I FF thru the life story pkg so I didn't really realize why everyone was so emotional at first, but I loved the fluidity of the dance, and the emotion that came thru Laurie.  I'm actually glad I wasn't associating it with any particular tragedy, it just looked beautiful and expressive.  I often skip the packages because I'd rather see the dance express their feelings rather than have them explained to me in advance.  I LOVED the trio dance, I thought it was an adorable concept.  So with Calvin slipping a little, I'd have to say my top two are James and Laurie. 

Bye, Terra.  Take Jana with you.

• Love 6

God keep Grandma Brunilda for all eternity.

This is the best top to bottom Final 4 in DWTS histoire.  No question.  The top 3 are each worthy of being champion most any season.  Easily.

I started by loving Laurie most, but the two fellas are every bit as awesome as she.  I simply can not credibly argue for any one of the three over any of the other two. Be it commitment, ability, charm, personality, grace - whatever...they are each wonderful.

I wanted to slap the jidges with their ridiculous dings of Calvin and the ludicrous overscoring of Terra.  I remain furious.

I'll be stunned if we get a Finale anywhere close to the possibilities the finalists offer.  Make me a liar, BBCW.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

Gleb is a sloppy dancer. In his season in the UK, he dropped three different partners, and one of them was unable to appear on the tour because of it. I think he's also leading whatsername on because showmances are the key to making it on these crappy shows.

My problem with Gleb is I think this: Someone compared him to Allison, and it goes in that direction. He adds stuff into dances that seems totally superfluous, at least on the American version so far. Like, couldn't they just quickstep instead of all that shop/baby whatever? It added nothing to the mood of the dance. If you do fluff, at least have it be somewhat integrated into the theme of your program. I had the same problem with the jazz and with the AT, to be honest. Also, Jana had two dances in hold in the last two weeks and it made it very obvious that her arms are somewhat funky IMO. For me her arms in hold look weak and I'd think that's also on Gleb to teach her that, it's not on Jana to know this on her own.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, SophiaPehawkins said:

Personally, I saw no manipulation from Laurie. This was the week where they all shared their stories. Laurie's life started with her grandmother immigrating to America. 

Small point, but you don't immigrate from Puerto Rico, just like you don't immigrate from Oregon or Maine. It's part of the United States.

• Love 4