Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E13: Week 10

• Start Topic

Trio dances are some made up BS by TPTB. There are no rules just expectations.

True dat. But some dance styles lend themselves to trio dances better than others. For example, the Salsa and the Jive are easily dances that can be done in trios or groups. The Tango? Not so much. In fact of any ballroom style, I think Tango is a dance that has to be exclusively done by just two people. So I can't really blame Sasha, Artem or Terra if their trio dance didn't quite work. I didn't see a lot of recognizable tango moves in it, but that's because you can't really do them effectively and sustain them with three people.

And while it's true there aren't any "rules" to these gimmicks the show makes up, it's perfectly fair to say that Maks didn't really participate in a "trio" to the extent that Artem, Jenna, Witney and Alan did. I mean, I still loved that Samba at it was probably my favorite trio number, but if you want to say "Well, Maks didn't do a  whole lot of dancing compared to the others," that's fair.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

True dat. But some dance styles lend themselves to trio dances better than others. For example, the Salsa and the Jive are easily dances that can be done in trios or groups. The Tango? Not so much. In fact of any ballroom style, I think Tango is a dance that has to be exclusively done by just two people. So I can't really blame Sasha, Artem or Terra if their trio dance didn't quite work. I didn't see a lot of recognizable tango moves in it, but that's because you can't really do them effectively and sustain them with three people.

And while it's true there aren't any "rules" to these gimmicks the show makes up, it's perfectly fair to say that Maks didn't really participate in a "trio" to the extent that Artem, Jenna, Witney and Alan did. I mean, I still loved that Samba at it was probably my favorite trio number, but if you want to say "Well, Maks didn't do a  whole lot of dancing compared to the others," that's fair.

Yeah, I loved it as well and thought it had great samba content and the storyline was well integrated into the choreography (looking at you, Gleb...), but Maks wasn't as present in the dancing. There are no rules how a trio is supposed to look like, so whatever, but it's a fair observation. I suspect it's also tied to their schedule. Laurie is travelling around so much, I don't know how available Maks is, so that might have cut into rehearsal times. Val and Laurie can practice their solo passages in the trio on their own without needing Maks present.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

Sharna's pose was both strong and submissive (which strikes me as the woman's tango tone) and vaguely yonic and James's pose was hyper masculine and strong and phallic - they are not tangled around each other BUT the pose requires both of them there to balance it.  If James had collapsed out of it forward, they would "assume the position" which the heat of tango always persuades me is its point regardless of its balancing coldness.  I thought it suited the dance perfectly (with the caveat that I don't know what I am talking about<G>).

...Mind. Blown.  Clever of them, and astute of you!  Now I want to watch it again.

• Love 5

When I say that I feel like Laurie's package this week was somewhat exploitative, that's not a knock against Laurie. I felt very bad for her and her family's loss and like Tom said it was brave of her (especially at that age) to continue with the performance. But, still, while heartless, I did kind of cringe at moments in the package especially that part where Laurie talks about seeing her grandmother again soon and then cut to the screen telling us her grandmother died the next day. It almost felt like something you would see in a dark comedy like Arrested Development. Like "I can't wait to see my terminally ill relative who is doing so much better lately" then smash cut to the funeral. I wasn't just annoyed as a viewer being manipulated but it felt very cheap of the show to do that to Laurie to milk her tragedy like that. 

As much as I love James, I won't be devastated (well probably not) if he doesn't win next week mostly because I've been preparing for it all season. But I will be over the moon if he pulls off the upset. Like my previous favorites, his dances are the ones that I find incredibly rewatchable. I can't even count how many times I've watched their Argentine Tango already. Carrie Ann was tripping with that nine. Though it was probably storyline-dictated to keep him closely behind Laurie.  I still get such joy watching him dance. He's also one of the rare contestants who I wish I could actually meet because he seems like such a genuine, salt of the earth guy. I love watching him get his critiques. He's always serious and takes what the judges say to heart, but he doesn't let their compliments go to his head, and he can throw around a joke or two. I loved hearing about how the handstand ending came about. I thought it was an awesome ending to the dance.

This was not Calvin's best night, at least that first performance, but I still think he belongs in the finals, and if it's him, James, and Laurie as the final three it will be well deserved and a fantastic set of dancers. Calvin's smile is still ridiculously infectious and watching his dances is still a really good time.

Jana is basically just there for me. She's a little bit like Paige in that way. Like I know she's a good dancer, but I don't connect with her on any level.

I was a little annoyed with Terra's scores, especially that first perfect score, but at least she went out on a high note. I always liked her and Sasha's partnership.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Jana is a good dancer but she has the least compelling "story" this season. Her parents divorced when she was in high school, then she got into a bad relationship. Um, okay . . . so? And, who is she really, anyway? A singer? Has anyone ever heard of one of her songs before? Does she perform in her own concerts? Or is she the opening act for someone else?

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I'm not a country music fan at all, but I do feel like I'm keyed in to pop culture generally, and I have no clue about her.

If I had to guess, my gut says that either Calvin or Laurie have been running away with the viewer votes and that there's a bigger gulf between the way the Judges paint James and Jana and their actual vote totals.  But who knows.  

For as competent as the final 4 are, this has still been a pretty "meh" season for me.

Is Jana super famous?  I just don't understand how she's lasting in the competition.  She's fine, Gleb wouldn't have a huge fan base, so I just don't get it.

I'm glad that Terra went out on a high note, she lasted longer than some others that were better dancers.  Hopefully now she can get some healing.

Calvin is fun, I have no idea how we are this far into the season and I didn't know he'd been a football player, he's so tall, I assumed basketball.

Laurie's package was manipulative, the poor girl is 16 years old.  It would've been hard for anyone--poor Tom, but doing that to a kid right before she's supposed to dance was dumb.

James is still my favorite, he just brings a lot of joy to the show.

• Love 2

Sharna's pose was both strong and submissive (which strikes me as the woman's tango tone) and vaguely yonic and James's pose was hyper masculine and strong and phallic - they are not tangled around each other BUT the pose requires both of them there to balance it.  If James had collapsed out of it forward, they would "assume the position" which the heat of tango always persuades me is its point regardless of its balancing coldness.  I thought it suited the dance perfectly (with the caveat that I don't know what I am talking about<G>).

...Mind. Blown.  Clever of them, and astute of you!  Now I want to watch it again.

Now that you made that observation it makes me realize the significance of that ending...not just an athletic move but the entire tone of the dance. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Yes, she was in People magazine and talked about her ex. I'm not really a fan of hers, but I do have to admire her for getting out there on a show like this after he tried to kill her. For some reason, I'm seeing her a lot lately. She does advertisements for Colgate as well.

He's dead (suicide). So thankfully Jana doesn't have to worry about her personal safety in regards to him (not sure if that's what you meant). 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, gohawks said:

I can't get on the James bandwagon. He is a good dancer but he has not proven his ability for Latin dance.  Questionable rhythm and musicality and no hips. He is very good with the ballroom but his Latin dancing is MIA.

Not to mention he's completely avoided Salsa and Samba this season. I really don't know if he's improved his Latin because they didn't let him.

• Love 2

I'm glad Terra is gone. I think Sasha did a great job with her, but honestly, I am really tired of the celebs with challenges being on the show.  While there have been some amazing performances by individuals who have had to overcome quite a bit to dance, I'm tired of an inspirational bs that goes along with them. I did love the model guy that won last time (I can picture him but can't remember his name!), but it simply doesn't have to be a casting stunt every season. I feel like they have their categories of who to cast and they just don't vary from them.

Jana and Gleb bug the crap out of me. She has really grown, but I can't stand them. 

I'd be thrilled with either James or Laurie winning. They are really wonderful to watch. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, gohawks said:

Laurie is a sweet seemingly well adjusted kid. she has a strong support system in her family and I will defer to their opinions.  I stopped being overly judgmental about how other people parent their kids when I had a kid of my own.

This. I'd only add that Laurie Hernandez is also an Olympic Gold Medalist from the just completed Olympic Games who has obligations associated with that accomplishment that are separate from her obligations to this show. Her family also have to deal with their own grief.  I can only imagine that having someone as caring and protective as Val around at this time to help them navigate the maze created by a voracious media, was considered a blessing. Mix in the judgement expressed viciously on Social Media which is different from anything they've ever experienced before when they were enveloped in the protective bubble of the USA Gymnastics machine, and you get to a place where they did a fantastic job protecting their daughter.

• Love 5

Non dancing related....but I saw SO many random people in the audience Monday night. I wonder if they are recruiting for future seasons.  I of course saw DWTS alum (Alfonso, Helio, Rumer and Ginger).  

I also saw

1.Dog the Bounty Hunter (not kidding).

2. White haired guy with glasses, on the food network (don't know his name) but he always wears a suit jacket even when cooking.  Maybe he's interested because Alfonso hosts a show on food network?

3. Long, dark haired carpenter that I think is on one of those home improvement channels.  

Ok, sorry....as I type this, I realize I don't any of these people's names.  I'll try to find them or maybe pics.

• Love 1

The more I think about Laurie, the more I realize that her parents must not have been with her this week...otherwise there's no way to hide news like this (crying, teary phone calls, funeral plans). So it really was up to Val to help them decide when HE should tell her. 

This means that he must have guardianship as some have speculated based on his early-season pics of her & him on a plane (with no parents around anywhere). 

I get that her parents are used to leaving her in the care of coaches, etc. it just seems really strange that at least one of them wouldn't be there in the studio with her at all times. I feel like Sadie was overprotected, Laurie is underprotected, and Zendaya seemed to have just the right amount of parental involvement. 

18 minutes ago, RemoteControl88 said:

2. White haired guy with glasses, on the food network (don't know his name) but he always wears a suit jacket even when cooking.  Maybe he's interested because Alfonso hosts a show on food network?

Great job! I'm really bad at spotting people in the audience! Do you mean Geoffrey Zakarian? 

I had to do a quick skim of page two, I had just started when my computer announced it was shutting down and updating whether I wanted to do it right then or not. I know I should do it often on my own, but I hate having to sign back into all the sites I follow. And I know, I could go back and read page two again, but I'm lazy. 

I didn't see in my quick skim any mention of Terra's package into the trio dance. I thought it was adorable. I'm not a big 3's Company fan, but it was cute. I thought it was time for her to go, I would have been ok with Jana or Calvin leaving too. I've like several of Calvin's dances, but he may be ready to go. Jana is very pretty, I've had some friends that have been victims of domestic violence and I've lost one good friend and my ex-husband's first wife, we weren't enemies, but we weren't particularly friends either, but she was part of his life for most of his life and I am still sad 20+ years later that she was killed. But I just can't feel anything for Jana and I don't really like the faces she makes. 

Laurie's package made me cry, I've lost family to Alzheimer's, it's a terrible disease. I've lost both parents and all 4 of my grandparents, and even though I'm in my 60s, it was hard. I lost my grandfather when I was just a little older than Laurie, so I know how tough it is when you're close to them and to lose them. Her dance was beautiful and it moved me. I also appreciated that Tom was so protective of her.

I am not jumping on the bandwagon of how her family exploit her and turn her over to Val. I really don't see it that way. Her mother is always shown in the audience, we don't see her at rehearsals, but we have no reason to expect her not to be there, there are laws and maybe her mother doesn't want to be on camera, maybe she is letting her daughter shine. I know the US Olympic Gymnastic machine is a bugger, there is a lot riding on how those kids do. It's not always fair and it's not what most kids and their families expect. But they do teach toughness that I don't have even now. They also wrap their kids in a bubble, exploitative but also protective. And this is a dance show, not a conversation about how good or evil the US Olympic Gymnastic machine is. I think Val is protective of Laurie and he is caring. I think she is a different person from a different family than Zendaya and if her family loves and protects her, I have to go with that. I see no evidence to the contrary. I like Maks as a dancer and I like Val, I'm not fond of Gleb, I'm not fond of Derek, but I am not going to paint any of them as evil incarnate, they are just people doing their jobs. And sometimes, that job is to create drama. 

And the carpenter guy - Carter Osterhouse (not sure of spelling) maybe? I didn't see him, but I never can think of who those vaguely familiar looking faces in the audience might be.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, tessaforever said:

Great job! I'm really bad at spotting people in the audience! Do you mean Geoffrey Zakarian? 

That was him! I couldn't place him without the glasses. He was front row next to Helio and Rumer.

• Love 2

I am definitely for James. To me, he is who DWTS is about! He had no dance experience but seemed to be a natural. I cannot tell you how many times I have watched his Halloween waltz! Yes, I wish Sharna could have danced it with him but heck, it didn't seem to matter who he had for a partner because for me, he led the dance...he was in control of the whole dance...Jenna was there to just follow him! Everytime I watch it, I say to myself, just once and then I click and watch it again and again. I have also watched his jitterbug over and over...just think how perfect it could have been if Sharna had not had the knee injury. All the way for James and Sharna but I am bracing myself for Laurie to win...just hope not!

When I watched Val's trio, I too, noticed that Maks didn't really dance as a part of the trio. He was on the fringes and just joined in so that they could say three were dancing...just not dancing as a trio in my opinion.

As for the "unknown" people in the audience..... I saw Carter Oosterhouse from Trading Spaces...he would be fun, I think. And while I didnt see him, I am guessing that Geoffrey Zackarian is the white-haired Chopped judge?

Edited to admit I was slow to add the Trading Spaces and Chopped guys...I went to check the spelling!!!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think I figured out what's missing from Laurie's dances: they're all really, really aggressive. She attacks each of them like a floor routine. They're all sharp and precise and difficult but they're all fast and manic and they lack softness. The foxtrot, in particular needed to be a little more elegant and graceful and not as sharp and manic.

I agree, but I think a large part of the problem here was the music.  I would have swapped it for the music used for Jana, Gleb, and Alan's Paso Doble trio dance.  The music that was used for Laurie's Foxtrot was simply too hard and sharp to make for an elegant, graceful, fluid Foxtrot, so I don't think Val had any choice but to choreograph a Foxtrot that was too aggressive, hard and sharp and that completely lacked any fluidity.  

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, tessaforever said:

YES!!! He was beside the judges table.  You could see him clearly during Laurie and Val's dance.

Edit: Also YES that was Carter Osterhouse I saw.  Thanks guys.  I won't be scouring the internet for 8 hours now and will be able to go to sleep.

#teamwork

Edited by RemoteControl88
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Alapaki said:

For as competent as the final 4 are, this has still been a pretty "meh" season for me.

Agree.  And it's not that there aren't competent celebs.  I knew Laurie would be good and she is a cutie.  But I really don't rewatch her routines.  Maybe because I can't forget how young she is and I normally don't care for Val's choreo.  I picked James as one of the finalists in the beginning.  But I'm not as enamored as most viewers and I normally don't care for Sharna's choreo or dancing.  So I don't rewatch his routines.  Calvin has always been a dark horse.  I didn't think he would make the finals--mainly because of the height difference between Lindsay and him.  I've rewatched some of his routines because I'm amazed that he and Lindsay were able to perform as well as they did.  I knew Jana was good after the first week but I never appreciated Gleb's overt sexual tone.  So I don't rewatch her routines. 

I guess Laurie should win because she is the best.  I like Calvin because I'm so surprised by his development.  I know a lot of the women viewers like James so he's deserving.  Jana really has no chance.  I was surprised to read someone compared her to Paige--I guess they were saying they didn't connect with her like they didn't connect with Paige?  I understand this because I feel the same about James.

3 hours ago, Alapaki said:

• Love 2

I was surprised that I was sorry to see Terra go. When they announced that she'd been cast, I didn't think I was going to like her, but she's been a pleasant surprise. Jana I can take or leave - she's good, but she just doesn't thrill me. I'm guessing Laurie or James for the win, though I would be fine with a Calvin win too. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, RemoteControl88 said:

3. Long, dark haired carpenter that I think is on one of those home improvement channels.  

Carter Osterhouse, as has been mentioned, but I think he was just on last night to do cross promotion for ABC. I'm pretty sure Tom mentioned he's hosting something with the woman who was sitting next to him (but hell if I  can remember what it was or who was beside him).

Edited by McManda

Carter is married to Amy Smart (LUCKY GIRL), and they are both into the Green Movement. Maybe Carter has a new show coming out on HGTV,  I hope. DAMN, that man is sweet, sweet eye candy! 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Maybe Carter has a new show coming out on HGTV,  I hope. DAMN, that man is sweet, sweet eye candy!

I went and checked ... he was on DWTS as cross promotion for an ABC holiday competition called The Great Christmas Light Fight that he's costing with Taniya Nayak.

On 11/14/2016 at 7:18 PM, sinycalone said:

Wow....James and Sharna's AT was amazing...and that ending!   Contained the perfect amount of passion and precision..  Let's just say I don't agree with Carrie Ann...at all.

I completely agree.

• Love 1

Well, James is clearly the best celeb dancer on the show but it's plain to see that the judges favorite are Laurie & Val and they made damn sure to overscore their dances last night. I'm 1000% certain that the judges will do it again next week. SMH. I'm hoping that James and Sharna pull off the upset next week but it doesn't look good. :(

• Love 2
3 hours ago, RemoteControl88 said:

Non dancing related....but I saw SO many random people in the audience Monday night. I wonder if they are recruiting for future seasons.  I of course saw DWTS alum (Alfonso, Helio, Rumer and Ginger).  

I also saw

Ok, sorry....as I type this, I realize I don't any of these people's names.  I'll try to find them or maybe pics.

Pretty sure I also saw Alfonso and Rumer.  After Laurie's Foxtrot you can see them standing next to Helio.

6 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

I thought that ending pose for James and Sharna's AT was very tango-like in its symbolism and structure.  But I know SFA about AT the dance, other than what i have seen on DWTS and SYTYCD.  So, to the semi-informed nonspecialist, I thought it was a great choice.  If you showed me that ending pose and gave me a list of dances it potentially went with, AT would be at the top of my guesses.  Sharna's pose was both strong and submissive (which strikes me as the woman's tango tone) and vaguely yonic and James's pose was hyper masculine and strong and phallic - they are not tangled around each other BUT the pose requires both of them there to balance it.  If James had collapsed out of it forward, they would "assume the position" which the heat of tango always persuades me is its point regardless of its balancing coldness.  I thought it suited the dance perfectly (with the caveat that I don't know what I am talking about<G>).

Wow, what an observation, I love the symbolism.  Since  according to Argentine Tango historians, the dance began in the Barrios of Buenos Aires where many men would come and find the affection of a prostitute, there were so many men to few women they had to fight each other to get her,  it seems to me that a phallic handstand would be perfectly in keeping with the machismo of conquest. 

The man was very much the leader, the woman must be the submissive/ Sharna wanted to make a point of that. The blindfold denotes not only the ability of James to lead, but highlighted the idea that Sharna must be led as the submissive female.   Cheryl Burke said on all access that this was the first time in competition that we see this much trust in the celebrity and she hoped the judges would recognize that.  I really respect Cheryl's thoughts especially on Argentine Tango as she went to Buenos Aires to study it.  I thought it was great. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, RemoteControl88 said:

I also saw

Number 2 sounds like Geoffrey Zakarian. He's an Iron Chef. He also judges on Chopped & Chopped Junior, hosts Cooks vs. Cons & co-hosts The Kitchen (with other Food Network personalities). Though Alfonso's show has been on Food Network, I think it mainly airs on Cooking Channel.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Hiacios said:

Well, James is clearly the best celeb dancer

I'm surprised by this statement.  Most people admit that Laurie is the best dancer.  It's just that when there's a decent and attractive male celeb, people fall in love with him and the praises become OTT.  He puts me in mind of Helio who also won.  I guess it helps to be small if you're a race car driver?  I know it helps to make the dance moves look better if you are small.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

People say that Laurie winning would mean nothing to the show overall, but fail to see she'd be the first latina female celeb winner.

Which would be great, sure, but it's not like this is American Idol, where the winners are overwhelmingly young, white, and male. DWTS has a fairly diverse list of winners; half are minorities, and of the half that are white there's Nyle DiMarco (who is deaf), Jennifer Grey (won at 50), and Donny Osmond (won at 52). That doesn't even take into account the other finalists, many of whom who were also not young, white, or male.

I get what you're saying, but Laurie should win because she's the best - or more accurately because the viewers think she's the best - not because she'd tick some box on an achievement list.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, PBGamer89 said:

Not to mention he's completely avoided Salsa and Samba this season. I really don't know if he's improved his Latin because they didn't let him.

Interestingly enough James has done the Paso, Jive. Cha Cha reprised on Ellen . and Rumba...  no finalist except James has done Rumba.  Why is that?  Calvin avoided Samba and Rumba,  Jana and  Laurie  should have done Rumba, it's the woman's dance afterall. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, movement said:

I'm surprised by this statement.  Most people admit that Laurie is the best dancer.  It's just that when there's a decent and attractive male celeb, people fall in love with him and the praises become OTT.  He puts me in mind of Helio who also won.  I guess it helps to be small if you're a race car driver?  I know it helps to make the dance moves look better if you are small.

I'm not surprised that people love James a guy who never danced who comes out and entertains with such a commitment. Moreover, I have seen a guy who keeps working at it, the improvement in his dancing keeps growing. This isn't something his body has any muscle memory for. He has something you can't teach. There have been lots of charismatic contestants on this show, but no one but James can actually embody the characters he takes on. That is what makes him different than Drew or Helio or Apolo, all the smaller men who have won this show.   Afterall there was that life ending accident less than 2 years ago, and he is fearless.

As for Laurie, she never shed the gymnastic rigidity so  I just don't like the way Laurie dances.  Is it precise?  it better be. Is it noteworthy Ballroom dancing?   I hate the attack on the Foxtrot, it's not a tango i wanted to see softness in the top line, maybe a little sway, it wasn't there instead it's robotic..   Has she really connected with her partner? The Salsa was a letdown, The Paso was bad ,the Cell block tango lacked any sensuality. Only when the show induces crying that she brings out something. She's a lovely girl, and overscored because of her age, but still an immature kid so I'm not inspired by a mis-match in partnering.

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, RedFiat said:

I'm not surprised that people love James a guy who never danced who comes out and entertains with such a commitment. Moreover, I have seen a guy who keeps working at it, the improvement in his dancing keeps growing. This isn't something his body has any muscle memory for. He has something you can't teach. There have been lots of charismatic contestants on this show, but no one but James can actually embody the characters he takes on. That is what makes him different than Drew or Helio or Apolo, all the smaller men who have won this show.   Afterall there was that life ending accident less than 2 years ago, and he is fearless.

As for Laurie, she never shed the gymnastic rigidity so  I just don't like the way Laurie dances.  Is it precise?  it better be. Is it noteworthy Ballroom dancing?   I hate the attack on the Foxtrot, it's not a tango i wanted to see softness in the top line, maybe a little sway, it wasn't there instead it's robotic..   Has she really connected with her partner? The Salsa was a letdown, The Paso was bad ,the Cell block tango lacked any sensuality. Only when the show induces crying that she brings out something. She's a lovely girl, and overscored because of her age, but still an immature kid so I'm not inspired by a mis-match in partnering.

OK Red.  To me, he is just like the other males that you listed.  You don't have to try to degrade Laurie in order to make James look better.  He's done well.  There are a lot of people like you.  I felt like he hadn't had any public formal training but that usually isn't a plus when people support a celeb.  OTH, when it comes to the male celeb, they do pull that out when they like them.   Forgot.  I chose James as one of the finalists before I even saw him dance.  I felt like he must've been pretty good for TPTB to pair him with Sharna.  

Edited by movement
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, RedFiat said:

Afterall there was that life ending accident less than 2 years ago, and he is fearless.

I have to wonder why people keep bringing up his accident. He is a race car driver and voluntarily drives 200 miles per hour for a living. It's a shame he got hurt, but it happens when you engage in a high-risk activity. It's not the same "tragedy" as when someone gets injured in a war such as Noah Galloway or J.R. Martinez. Or when some innocent gets hit by a drunk while crossing the street.

It was also over-the-top to bring up Laurie's grandma. They should have offered brief condolences and moved on. No need to film her crying on the show. These people can win without the show trying to drum up sympathy. Enough of the drama already.

• Love 1

I have to wonder why people keep bringing up his accident.

I don't think it is so much how his accident happened...yes, racecar drivers know they are taking a chance every time they get in their car. I think what people are amazed by is how far he has come...from almost dying and then not even being able to walk, to see how smoothly he dances and the excitement he brings to all of his dances is what has enthralled people. He has to have natural ability to do as well as he is, but he has a great work ethic to along with that. I am not denigrating Laurie, but she has trained for years to control her body and to move with grace...she had to to come as far as she did in the world of gymnastics. She just doesn't catch and keep my attention. I have gone back and watched James and Sharna over and over but have only rewatched one of Laurie's dances and that was to really pay attention to how much Maks added to the trio dance. So for me, it is James all the way!

• Love 4
22 hours ago, CED9 said:

It's Gleb that they want to make happen, not Jana. With Maks out, and possibly Derek and Mark, too, they want him to stick around as long as possible.

Oh please no.  Gleb comes off as a sleazy guy hitting on the drunk coeds at a bar. He's not sexy at all, he's skeevy. 

• Love 8
19 hours ago, vibeology said:

Jana isn't my favourite but she's a country singer, sort of a mid-level one. She opens at big venues or is the headliner at smaller venues. I saw her a few years back open for Blake Shelton. Her biggest his is probably "Why Ya Wanna" which is the first song I think of when I think of her. It was a top ten country hit, charted on the Billboard Hot 100 and won her an ACA or a CMA.

She's a singer?? All this time, I thought Jana was an actress from some show on CW that I don't watch.  I guess I should stop skipping the first couple of episodes each season. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Archery said:

She's a singer?? All this time, I thought Jana was an actress from some show on CW that I don't watch.  I guess I should stop skipping the first couple of episodes each season. 

She was on One Tree Hill for a while playing a singer, and then transitioned to singing full-time once the show ended. 

2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I have to wonder why people keep bringing up his accident. He is a race car driver and voluntarily drives 200 miles per hour for a living. It's a shame he got hurt, but it happens when you engage in a high-risk activity. It's not the same "tragedy" as when someone gets injured in a war such as Noah Galloway or J.R. Martinez. Or when some innocent gets hit by a drunk while crossing the street.

I don't get this. An accident is an accident and he's lucky to be walking or even alive. Should it not be talked about because he chose this career. 

• Love 3

I guess I'm going to agree that the show is fairly boring this season.  I had Calvin in the race for a while, but he stopped getting better about 3 shows ago.  I like them all fine, but I don't CARE.  James is along the lines of Gilles 1.0 but not as fatally sexy.  I haven't rewatched any dances.

I liked the conceit of Val's trio - it was interesting, but Val and Laurie leave me cold as a pairing.  She's fine, but emotionally fairly one note.

I really don't like Gleb (skeeviness) and I mostly don't like Jana (same).  I think Gleb should go back to SCD.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, movement said:

OK Red.  To me, he is just like the other males that you listed.  You don't have to try to degrade Laurie in order to make James look better.  He's done well.  There are a lot of people like you.  I felt like he hadn't had any public formal training but that usually isn't a plus when people support a celeb.  OTH, when it comes to the male celeb, they do pull that out when they like them.   Forgot.  I chose James as one of the finalists before I even saw him dance.  I felt like he must've been pretty good for TPTB to pair him with Sharna.  

Weird. I listed why I don't like Laurie's dancing. That's an observation, by quite a few people, not just me. Although it is difficult to find women who will compete without dance lessons, during Brooke Burke's season we got a great competition, except people called her boring. She still won. The girl is a natural, and never took dance lessons. She just happened to be extremely fit with a great core and she had musicality and rhythm.  I supported her all through the competition. I also supported Leila Ali, another natural without dance experience except in the clubs.  I also supported those dancers who also bring another dimension to their dancing besides getting the steps right. People like Mya and Nicole and Paige all amazing and very well trained prior to the show.  It seems to me the notion of a double standard only comes up when a disciplined female dancer competitor must be the best dancer in the competition, except for me, this time she isn't for all the reasons I listed earlier.  

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ElectricCityy said:

I don't get this. An accident is an accident and he's lucky to be walking or even alive. Should it not be talked about because he chose this career. 

Right. Also, my point about the accident is James dances like he's got nothing to lose. He has no hang ups about sequins or acting crazy, where many times you can feel the self consciousness of some competitors, especially the males who wouldn't wear certain outfits (Apolo) or females who worry about modesty (Sadie) hell, James is going 50 shades of blue on Sharna in the AT with his gorgeous girlfriend cheering him on.  This is hella entertaining and I hope he hoists the mirrorball.  I am not blind however, that since his voting base has been cut-off all season Gymnastics America will make sure their voice is heard.  

• Love 3

This is probably the best four finalists in a long time.  All four couples are capable.  I think it's going to come down to the freestyles.  For that, I think Sharna's creativity and James' dance skill will have the winning freestyle.  I listed my pros and cons of each contestant last week.  My opinion hasn't changed much.

James is a good technical dancer.  He lacks star power to me.  I see him more as a background dancer instead of a star.  He has a nice smile but it's not magnetic like Calvin's.  I don't think he's as charismatic as  Laurie is either.  My eyes are always drawn to Laurie instead of Val.  Part of that is because she's female.  For example, during James/Sharna's AT, my eyes were drawn to Sharna.  I'm still waiting for smoldering too.  I understand the reason for the blindfold when it comes to showing that Sharna trusts James and he can lead.  However, what they lost was eye contact which plays into the sexual tension between a couple.  As others mentioned, I still don't know if he can move his hips in a Salsa or Samba.  I do think he can do lifts which I wasn't sure of before this week.

My opinion of Laurie and Calvin hasn't changed.  Calvin needs to work on his technique more.  His strength is his personality, smile, and physical strength.  Laurie still needs to show a softer vulnerable side of her.  She can do cute, aggressive, innocent, etc.  I think Laurie and Calvin can win because of their fan bases.  Their freestyles will also be good but I think Sharna is more creative than Val.  Technically, James is better than Calvin.  I'm not sure how big James and Jana's fan bases are.

Jana is fine but I don't see Gleb and Jana winning.  I don't think either one has a big enough fan base.  Gleb's choreography is o.k. but not as good as the other three.   

• Love 1

I'm glad Terra is gone. I think Sasha did a great job with her, but honestly, I am really tired of the celebs with challenges being on the show.  While there have been some amazing performances by individuals who have had to overcome quite a bit to dance, I'm tired of an inspirational bs that goes along with them.

I understand where you're coming from, because some of those contestants really couldn't dance, and it was tiresome watching the judges fawn all over them and tell them how "brave" they were every week. But I thought Terra danced quite well. She had some obvious limitations but she sold it 110% every week. It wasn't nearly as awkward as I feared it would be when the season started.

I don't mind if they have contestants with special needs who can show us what they can do. I only mind if the judges pretend they're doing more than they are (*cough*Noah Galloway*cough*)

I saw Carter Oosterhouse from Trading Spaces

That's who that was! Thank you. I thought maybe it was Scott Mcgillivray. They look very similar.

• Love 5