Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E11: Week 8

• Start Topic

Next week on DWTS - 

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2016/10/27/dancing-with-the-stars-season-23-week-eight-halloween-night-song-dance-list/

On Monday night’s show, for the first round of the competition, each of the seven remaining couples will perform an individual Halloween-themed routine in a dance style not yet danced. The highest-scoring couple from the first round will receive immunity, cannot be eliminated and does not have to compete in the Dance Off, and will also receive an additional five points added to their judges scores.

The remaining six couples will dance off against each other, either dancing a cha cha, salsa or jive.The winner of each dance off will receive an additional three points added to their judges scores. At the end of the night, one couple will be eliminated.

The couples will dance to the following songs:

Here’s the song and dance list for Halloween night:

Marilu Henner & Derek Hough – Argentine Tango – “Sweet Dreams” by Emily Browning
Terra Jolé & Sasha Farber – Cha Cha “Day – O” by Harry Belafonte
James Hinchcliffe & Sharna Burgess – Viennese Waltz – “You Don’t Own Me” by Grace ft. G-Easy
Calvin Johnson Jr. & Lindsay Arnold – Quickstep – “Dr. Bones” by Cherry Poppin’ Daddies
Laurie Hernandez & Val Chmerkovskiy – Viennese Waltz – “Pure Imagination” by Jane Monheit
Jana Kramer & Gleb Savchenko – “Little Shop of Horrors” by Alan Menken
Ryan Lochte & Cheryl Burke – Tango – “Howlin’ For You” by The Black Keys

2 hours ago, Hoi Polloi said:

Do last weeks dances and voting count toward this week's elimination?  Or do just this week's dances count?  It's so confusing!

They take last week's voting count for this weeks elimination plus the score from the judges.

2 hours ago, Hoi Polloi said:

Do last weeks dances and voting count toward this week's elimination?  Or do just this week's dances count?  It's so confusing!

If it follows previous seasons, I think last weeks scores count for eliminations this week, and this weeks scores count for elimination next week.

Immunity counts for this week, so whoever gets it is guaranteed to not go home this week, even if they would have otherwise. Which means the second lowest scoring couple could potentially get eliminated this week ... depending on who gets immunity. 

• Love 1

Apparently the couple who gets immunity also gets 5 extra points. The winners of the dance-offs get 3 extra points. Those are some hefty point differences. I mean, not "let's give Chelsea Kane 15 points to drag her to the finals" bad, but it's quite a bit. They probably only want to make the stakes higher and make it more "exciting" for the viewers, but I never like when they make their manipulations too open like that. It's unnecessary IMO.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, katha said:

Apparently the couple who gets immunity also gets 5 extra points. The winners of the dance-offs get 3 extra points. Those are some hefty point differences. I mean, not "let's give Chelsea Kane 15 points to drag her to the finals" bad, but it's quite a bit. They probably only want to make the stakes higher and make it more "exciting" for the viewers, but I never like when they make their manipulations too open like that. It's unnecessary IMO.

Last time (actually both S20 and S21) the immune couple got 3 points and the winner of each dance-off got 2 points.  This time the immune couple gets 5 points and the winner of each dance-off gets 3 points.  Since the judges totally control who gets immunity and who wins each dance-off (even if they have to ignore obvious errors), it seems they are determined to get rid of someone.

• Love 2

And even more: This can be used to prop up someone for two weeks who doesn't get the votes. I think Laurie, James and Calvin are getting the votes (but what do I know...). I'm not sure about the others. And this is the other drawback of shenanigans like that: If anyone other than the frontrunners gets immunity now, there will be cries that they were just pimped and overscored because they don't get the votes. This could be really avoided if at least the point margins weren't so big. Meh.

I think it points to either Jana, Terra  or James getting immunity because Jana has only had Jive,  and James has only had Cha Cha as dance off dances.  Everyone else has had at least 2 dance off dances, (Terra has Jive and will have an individual dance of Cha Cha on week 8) I have never seen in all the seasons we have seen dance offs anyone doing a dance style for the first time. So if Jana and James do not get immunity then Jana will Jive and James will Cha Cha.

We could also see Marilu grab immunity, if she does an Argentine Tango that is really inventive but I think the silly prop dance that Jana and Gleb desperately clawed their way through overshadows a good  AT .

Should James gets immunity I won't be mad at it,  his fan base has been cut off completely from voting - even if some go around the system, it still means most Canadians can't vote because they are not invited. That was a significant number, almost 2 million would watch weekly on the Canadian network.   

Even if he is doing well we know that Laurie Calvin  Marilu  and Ryan come into this show with strong fanbases most assuredly due to their high recognizition level.   

I don't think James is in any need of immunity due to low voter support. I belong to several DWTS fan groups on FB and he and Sharna seem to have a commanding lead in support. People have just fallen in love with him. 

Jana, on the other hand, may very well benefit from immunity, as I don't think she is pulling in big voting numbers. 

• Love 2

I'm leaning more and more towards the likelihood of Marilu going home, especially if Jana ends up with immunity and can't be the "shock elim." I kinda don't think she's clicking with audiences either, and she is at a pretty big point deficit. I think she's in more danger than Ryan, and given reports of the physicality of everything really wearing on her (per Derek's blog) it might be time.

• Love 1

For certain Ryan could not get immunity, he is the one contestant that  doesn't dance well enough, so he has to go to a dance off. He is the only one besides Laurie who has done Salsa, so if he has to dance against Laurie that's a no brainer he loses. Whether or not he goes home remains to be tallied, but he doesn't have a great chance.

What makes me think this is Marilu's last dance is she got Argentine Tango, the one dance she wanted to do all season.  Her staying around will be all about the dance off. If she's successful in her match up she gets those 3 points and that could make the difference for her.  If she's against Laurie, James or Calvin it's not very likely. 

Edited by RedFiat
1 hour ago, smiley13 said:

Then James may get a partner I could support him with.

Only if you like Jenna.  

But I really don't think Sharna is out for the rest of the season despite how dramatic TMZ and the show are going to make it seem tonight.  It's just a matter of when she will be back.  Even on twitter Sharna basically said she will be back.  But of course this is not DWTS unless you milk the drama to no end.  

I just wish TBTB or Sharna had used Emma as a stand-in for Sharna.  Understated Emma seems a much better fit for James than in your face Jenna.

• Love 4

OMG!    The dance with Val and Laurie was absolutely beautiful.   I was crying.   Whoever sang the song did a wonderful version and I'm old enough to remember the original Willy Wonka movie.  Gene Wilder would be proud.  

Edited by MissT
Spelling
  • Love 4

I was anticipating that they'd start Laurie's "redemption" arc soon so that it leads in nicely to her winning the MBT, and it looks like it starts now. I loved it and thought was her best dance, and it's hard for me to imagine anyone doing better than that tonight.

Edit: I guess I spoke too soon? LOL.

Edited by crayonskies

FYI cumulative scores (before tonight's show) for breaking the immunity tie:

Laurie = 255

Calvin = 244

If James also gets a perfect score: he's 258 before tonight's show.

I never think I've seen any pro so emotional as Val was tonight.  Good thing the dance was worth it, it was that stunning.

At least Marilu LOOKED great, but the dance was a big mess.  

Really bummed for Sharna.  :( But James was HOT.  And while I'm meh on Jenna, they owned that number.  

• Love 5

I honestly would have preferred Marilu or Jana go before Ryan... and i'm as surprised as anyone by that sentiment lol

aww Val... all those feels...

I don't wanna promote more sex in jana and Gleb's dancing but i don't feel that they have any other chemistry except XXX. That's one of the reasons I would have them go, one note, too loud of a note...

I need more of the cast scaring each other! "that's cute" from Val was hilarious 

• Love 14

I was almost too distracted by James as the Joker to care that Jenna was his partner. Dude made a great Joker. And that dancer was great ... I just wish I could have seen him do our with Sharna. 

He was good with Jenna, of course, but I still think he's got something special-er with Sharna. 

• Love 6

Week 8 already!

Opening dance: it was good, not great. But Mandy seems to be trying.  I'm glad they didn't bring in a guest judge for tonight.

Terra:  Cute dance. Hard to get a cha cha out of that song but I think they pretty much did it.  Very simplistic though. Agree with JH that it was low on content - she's capable of more difficult choreography.  Agree with the scores.

Laurie:  There seemed something very sincere going on with Val.  As a traditionalist, he's great - as good or better than any other pro, including Derek.  But for maximizing the potential in Laurie, I've wondered since week 1 if he was up to it.  He's never been very creative and I think that is what's expected with gymnasts.  Sadly, this all went right over Laurie's head.  I have to think on this a bit more later.   As for the dance, very nice but again, her performance makes me feel nothing.  Technically, yes, she's got it. But for feeling, she's all giggles.  Scores are as expected. 

Marilu: She and Derek are not just bickering - they seem to not like each other.  That seemed like a very by-the-numbers AT.   A bunch of footwork problems, besides bonking Derek on the head.  She did seem to embody the character better this week though.  Scores were maybe a point too high.

Calvin:  Totally missed it. But then I was distracted by the skeletons playing trumpets.  So happy he got a perfect score though.

Cumulative scores before tonights show:  Laurie: 255, Calvin 244, so I guess Laurie takes immunity, unless James also gets a perfect score.  He starts tonight at 258 and is the only one who can take immunity from Laurie.

Ryan:  It wasn't the best tango I've ever seen, but it wasn't bad at all.  Considering he's not coming from a performing background, he's doing quite well.  Scores were ok. I wouldn't have minded a third 8.

Jana:  Gleb hasn't choreographed a jazz before?  He's been on other versions of DWTS - I'm surprised he hasn't run into jazz before.   Wasn't crazy about the choreography.  It looked like a mashup of jive and lindy hop.  The transitions weren't very good.  Did Bruno really compare her to Bindi? Noooooo!  The scores were generous. I would've gone with one or two 8s.

James:  Oh how I hate to see the pros get hurt!  I hope she's able to return next week. Awesome job by James.  He did let his butt stick out a few times but otherwise, I didn't see any errors.  Agree with the scores.  He's got immunity but the danger is people think they can take the night off from voting.

I'd assume the pros worked out their choices ahead of time like they usually do (especially after listening to Laurie trying to explain why "she" picked Calvin, and didn't know why).

That sliding popularity scale was very distracting.  Also the camerawork was awful.

Laurie vs Calvin:  They both did well - it's a toss up.

Jana vs Terra:  Terra looked completely unprepared.  Agree that Jana won.

Marilu vs Ryan:  interesting watching the scale on this one.  The vote for Ryan was much stronger than I expected .  Agree that Ryan won.  Marilu was back to looking timid.

Sorry to see Ryan go. I liked how humble and hard-working he's been.  I was  feeling like Marilu was about to go, so I was surprised she was the first announced safe.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 3

I'm leaning more and more towards the likelihood of Marilu going home, especially if Jana ends up with immunity and can't be the "shock elim." I kinda don't think she's clicking with audiences either,

The show isn't doing her any favors as far as editing.  I can't tell if she and Derek just rub each other the wrong way naturally or maybe he's upset that he didn't get a better partner and they aren't getting along because of that.  

Edited by Thalia
  • Love 3

I actually feel bad that Ryan is out.  He wasn't going to win this but I do think this was a humbling experience for him  and hope he learns a few things. 

Still not a fan of the dance off. 

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I am so pissed,,,,she said to Tom " i felt like I was pushed " !!!!!!!!!  What a lying piece of crap.   (about last weeks fall)

that "push" that Marilu was talking about was a part of the dance movement.... It's not like Derek said, I am going to push you down on national television in front of millions of viewers.. I don't ever remember derek having a partner who he had so much issues with   like he is having with Marilu...  I dont like her attitude and she needs to go

Edited by RoxieBear73
  • Love 6

I really hate Halloween for a myriad of reasons...especially on this show..as the costumes and mood obscure any real dancing but I am loving James a lot right about now...

I also am cheering for Terra to do better..but Marilu's dancing was a hot mess..and my mom even thinks there's no chemistry between them...

Sorry to see Ryan go..and that is a sentiment that I never thought I would say..

• Love 3

You know what, I actually think Jenna was a good choice of replacement, even though Emma is the stronger pro overall. That dance as Harley required someone who could be "extra" and she nailed it perfectly in a way I can't quite picture Emma (or Witney) doing, honestly. And good on James for not missing a beat. He had great chemistry with Jenna.

Dance-offs/Immunity Weeks are so shady, and I dislike them on principle, but the first two match ups were fun. I loved Calvin's expression and pantomime when Val (via Laurie) told him to pick on someone his own size. Not sure if Val is repeating lines or poking fun at the way he kind of dissed Aly Raisman back in S16.

Speaking of Val, I disagree that's he not creative, although he needs to pick and choose when to go with the traditional approach. I actually prefer his approach with Laurie than what we'd probably see with Mark or Derek. And it's both touching and concerning how seriously he takes being a mentor to Laurie. I hope he gets his self doubts over with and starts brainstorming freestyle ideas for Laurie, which he should have done Week 1. Lindsay can have a liftpalooza freestyle and Sharna must have a fire lit under her now. 

I love Pure Imagination. I'm surprised it hasn't been used in the show before now. Laurie looked lovely but I thought the dress could have been a bit more flattering to her.

I'm not a fan of the hyperbole James inspires. He's not even the best male dancer in the show's history if you discount the ringers IMO. However, if he's interested, I hope he gets a Gilles Marini like acting career surge from this show. Because he can act. He sells every character Sharna gives him.

• Love 3

Dammit, I voted for Ryan because I think he has improved tremendously and he is really hot.  I would have preferred for Ryan and Cheryl to stay and Sasha and Terra to leave.  James was fantastic tonight, but I would have loved to see that dance with Sharna.

• Love 7

I knew Ryan would go this week or next, but after seeing his performances tonight it was surprising when he was eliminated.  At least he can go out feeling much better about himself than he did 8 weeks ago. He put so much effort into each dance and improved every week, and Cheryl was a perfect partner for him.  

Hopefully he is serious about swimming again and puts half that much effort into his training. The past year was such a disappointment. 

• Love 4

Thought Marilu/Derek's dance was just bad.  She looked great in her costume, though.

I would have preferred Ryan to stay over Marilu...and that shocks even me.  He really worked hard, was extremely co-operative and enthusiastic.  Can't the same for Marily.

I preferred James' VW over Laurie's.  Hers was lovely and sweet, but his was exhilarating and more memorable...IMO, of course.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, RoxieBear73 said:

that "push" that Marilu was talking about was a part of the dance movement.... It's not like Derek said, I am going to push you down on national television in front of millions of viewers.. I don't ever remember derek having a partner who he had so much issues with   like he is having with Marilu...  I dont like her attitude and she needs to go

You're right, she needs to leave. Actually, she should have left weeks ago. She is not the dancer she thinks she is or has made the public think she is for years.  I'm guessing Derek fans are keeping her there.

• Love 5

Laurie and Val'a VW had me holding back tears that was in addition to their package. Like the poster above said, it's sweet how much Val values being her mentor. There was so much to decipher in that package, but the genuine show of emotion from Val was something else.

I did enjoy Calvin and James' dances as well. I can't imagine any other final three. 

And yeah, the tension between Derek and Marilu is mad uncomfortable. Usually, Derek's pretty good at faking it, but this is a clumsy pairing.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
Grammar!
  • Love 5

I loved Carrie Ann's polite way of mentioning that Jenna is a manic as hell dancer who out-dances everyone she's paired with, by pointing out how she was concerned for James having to adjust to a new Pro whose style is more "aggressive" than Sharna's. Point for tact Carrie Ann but you could have just called a spade a spade. 

Marilu is a classic case of be careful what you wish for. As a huge fan of the show she wanted Derek because, well duh... But that's sort of been a blessing and a curse for her. It's a blessing in that she's likely still in the competition because of his fanbase and she has gotten some really great choreography even if she didn't deliver it as rehearsed. But the curse is that she's stressed herself so much that she's become this giant emotional headcase and I don't think Derek knows how to deal with that because he's not really had to very often.

While I disagree that Derek has only gotten ringers (which will be repeated ad nauseum until this show goes off the air), I will say that typically, his celebrities tend to be pretty tough. If I had to think of one celebrity he had that was an emotional headcase, I'd have to go all the way back to his first season with Jennie and even she didn't psych herself out as badly as Marilu is doing. Plus it was Derek's first season so there wasn't that pressure of "I'm dancing with the six-time champion". Shannon was kind of needy too but then he started sleeping with her so he was probably more sensitive and delicate with her. And Amy had a few moments of feeling sorry for herself but those were rare and for the most part she was a fighter and tough. 

But all his celebrities, no matter their dancing skill level, tended to be pretty tough or at the least not a headcase about this competition. Bindi for all her bubbly and giddy personality was tough and please, Nastia Liukin was no shrinking violet to the point that the judges kept harping on that aspect of her personality all season. Amber Riley, Kellie Pickler, Jennifer Grey, etc. all these women were pretty strong throughout the competition. So Derek never had to do this hand-holding, therapy session thing with his celebrities and I feel like Marilu is falling into that category. She is clearly not enjoying this anymore, it's just making her more miserable and coming out in her dancing, Derek who is already passive aggressive must be so incredibly frustrated at this point, which is likely only making the situation worse - honestly it's probably time to call it a day.

I just ... do Jana and/or Gleb have that large of a fan base? I'm kind if surprised they've stuck around this long.

Do they really? They've been placed in jeopardy twice, once after they got a perfect score the previous week. There were obvious weaker dancers left, like Ryan, which likely contributed to their being saved. But I still say they'll be the "shock" boot of the season after all the weaker dancers have left. And hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see Marilu outlast her based on Derek's fans (though if Derek and Marilu are as miserable as many suspect, he might wish his fans will stop voting and put him out of his misery) and she be the shock boot next week. I think at this point this will be a F4 of Laurie, Terra, Calvin and James. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6

I feel like this was Jenna's breakout week.  Creepy sexy is her wheelhouse (and was on SYTYCD too.) it lets her mug just enough. James was pretty amazing. They had chemistry and I'm gonna credit him with a big part of that because it's never been Jenna's strong point. I loved that dance. Bummed about Sharna though. 

Calvin. And Lindsay were also amazing. It was fun and thematic but still had solid dancing. He's such a tall guy so I'm extra impressed when he rocks a fast dance. The concept was great. Lindsay has been on fire all season.

Laurie's was pretty special but not quite as strong for me. I think that's a very tough song and I don't know if she ever really got there emotionally. Val's emotional reaction was touching.

I hated Jana and Gleb. It was like a child's dance recital. I love Little Shop so much and that killed me. Terra struggled too with her number but that I put on the song.

Ryan is finally gone. I wish it had happened week one. Still much better late than never.

Derek and Marilu are a disaster. They don't like each other? Or they aren't connecting? I'm not sure what the deal is but the way he talked to her in the clips fro last week were so tense and her comments weren't really any better. The dance was unsurprisingly a mess since that behind the scenes stuff is spilling over. 

I hate the dance off thing. I'd be happy if we never did that again. I hate the popularity contest going on in the background. I hate the two couples dancing at once. I just hate it. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed the opening dance routine that incorporated the contestants.  Really fun for Hallowe'en.  So all three athletes got a perfect score, which is great and it puts immunity in perspective. 

James proves he can dance with anyone.  As far as I'm concerned anyone could dance with a pro who usually unfortunately pulls focus, deserves a high score, and he kept right up with her.  That was an incredibly polished VWaltz. and very Hallowe'en which I appreciated. What a lovely compliment to be compared to Mark Ballas' acting ability as a dancer.  

Laurie and Val getting a perfect score was absolutely correct. It was lovely and sentimental and perfectly age appropriate.  

Calvin getting a 30 for that Quickstep was a bit of a stretch, he had some sync issues  his right shoulder kept dropping, and they broke hold at one point, good thing Len isn't there this week.  But it was a fun dance. 

Jana and Gleb on jazz looked more like a jive but it was clean if not safe.  27 was about right.

Terra and Sasha's Cha cha was a tough dance to that tempo of music.  It was simple but well performed.  24 was a good score

Marilu and Derek on the Argentine Tango.  The lady has really lost her confidence and that is just too bad.  I think she really wanted to do well on this, but her nerves got to her, there was little connection with Derek and the errors were noticeable.  23 is about where it should be

Ryan and Cheryl.  This was kind of hillarious.  He started out in character but it went on it became an endurance run with steppy clunky movement. But at least the choreography was fun.  the score was ok 

I was thrilled for James to get immunity.  I am not at all certain he's killing the votes,  especially when his fanbase is barred from voting.  But Immunity doesn't mean he's immune next week., so I'm still nervous for him people have to vote for him if he's their favorite.   At the end of the day he scored only 2 points higher than Laurie. 

Dance offs 

Laurie and Calvin are definitely a replay of Zendaya and Jacoby Jones with the 16 year old winning out on technique. Absolutely Laurie and Val won that hands down, no question Calvin's technique is terrible.

Terra and Sasha and Jana Gleb - this is a case of aesthetics imho,  I don't think Jana and Gleb outdanced Terra and Sasha, they just look more even as a couple dancing salsa.

Ryan and Cheryl v Marilu and Derek... Ryan went for it, totally whereas Marilu was timid and even with all the clunkiness, Ryan and Cheryl took this. 

So  James has 35  points, but that can easily be surpassed in viewer votes.  Laurie is right behind him with 33,  Calvin has 30,  Jana has 30, Terra has 24 and Marilu has 23.

Edited by RedFiat

I don't really get the James love, though I do think he's earned his place in the final. I thought his dance wasn't up to Laurie's and Calvin's; although, giving him immunity was the fairest option and I can't really argue with it. I would have liked to see James dance side by side with Laurie or Calvin to be able to compare. That's the problem with immunity - we don't actually see the best side by side.

I thought Laurie's dance came together so beautifully. I love Calvin and Lindsay.

The dance off really shows me who I like. Marilu can leave. She seems so opposite what the other contestants are. Everyone is having fun, working hard, and working in their partnerships while she's just such a dark spot. I almost feel bad for Derek. 

Sasha is the breakout star for me this season. I don't care one way or the other about Terra, but he's been great this season.

• Love 9

I have been living with my roommate going on 3 years now and have pretty much gotten her into watching DWTS. This is the first time she's actually cried during a dance. So good job Val and Laurie. I didn't cry but I thought it was one of Val's best dances of all time and the song is perfect for Laurie's spirit. 

On a more critical note, anyone else think that Jenna completely out danced James? I was watching her the entire time... which I guess is kind of the point for ballroom but I feel like the choreo and performance was completely geared towards Jenna and not James which is the first time I've ever felt that way about his routine. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, PTVjones said:

I have been living with my roommate going on 3 years now and have pretty much gotten her into watching DWTS. This is the first time she's actually cried during a dance. So good job Val and Laurie. I didn't cry but I thought it was one of Val's best dances of all time and the song is perfect for Laurie's spirit. 

On a more critical note, anyone else think that Jenna completely out danced James? I was watching her the entire time... which I guess is kind of the point for ballroom but I feel like the choreo and performance was completely geared towards Jenna and not James which is the first time I've ever felt that way about his routine. 

I disagree....his character was more subtle....but he certainly wasn't outdanced.

• Love 7

I haven't watched enough of this show to have strong opinions on any of the pros, but my Lord, Sharna is just gorgeous! I love her with James (who I never heard of before this season, but absolutely adore!), and hope she can come back before the finale (where I definitely expect to see James) and lead him to the win. I think they have mad chemistry.

Did James shave his beard off for tonight!?  With the make-up it was hard to be sure, but I could see the cleft in his chin so I thought maybe he did.

Laurie's dance was so, so pretty...

Calvin's was really good.

And I was surprised to find myself sorry to see Ryan leave. 

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I loved Carrie Ann's polite way of mentioning that Jenna is a manic as hell dancer who out-dances everyone she's paired with, by pointing how she was concerned for James having to adjust to a new Pro whose style is more "aggressive" than Sharna's. Point for tact Carrie Ann but you could have just called a spade a spade.

I don't care about tact, lol. All I could think of when Jenna was spazzing out over their perfect score was: sit down, Jenna, those tens weren't for you. It was James' dancing and Sharna's choreography.

• Love 6

Gonna just say neither James or Calvin deserved their perfect scores tonight. Laurie had the only dance that wowed me in execution, emotional connection, and content wrapped together.

Calvin had multiple issues from posture to frame yet he gets a 30. Maybe his votes aren't as strong or to make up for weeks of underscoring, I don't know but something was behind that 30 and it wasn't perfect dancing.

I like my Viennese Waltzes continuous and flowy, and James' wasn't any of those. It was a case of being too aggressive and stompy. That 30/immunity was as scripted as scripted gets. How convenient he gets a 30 directly after Tom states "if you get a 30, the immunity is yours", and on a week he changed partners doesn't have to do the dance offs? Once again, i'm getting on grassy knoll territory, but it didn't feel genuine for me.

For all we know Laurie is killing the votes and the constant, over the top (mostly undeserved) praise that Calvin and James get is to make the season seem like a competition?

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 6

I can't believe that I am sort of sad that Ryan went home as I have not been a fan all season but he grew on me quite a bit. I was hoping for a Jana/Gleb elimination because I am pretty bored with them at this point. Marilu should go next but her frosty partnership with Derek is sort of entertaining to watch so I am willing to keep her around for another week and let Jana go next week. 

I was nervous about the Jenna/James partnership because I am not really a fan of Jenna outside of the troupe but I should not have doubted James. While I don't think he is the best male dancer this show has ever seen, I do think he may be one of the most compelling. He is excellent at embodying the character of the dance and pulling your attention. He even stood out to me in the opening number tonight as he was keeping in his character all night. I was really impressed but I hope Sharna can come back because I much prefer him dancing with her than Jenna. 

This was my favorite dance of Laurie's in a long while. Good job, Val. 

And Calvin and Lindsay win the prize for my favorite partnership of the season. I love their dynamic and I love watching them dance. 

• Love 3