Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: The Well

halgia
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, ByTor said:

So he'd blow away the ridiculous tiger with an AR15 but not a wolf or a well trained Doberman?

No, he'd shoot those too, but they would be more believable than a tiger hologram .  Which would make Ezekiel look less ridiculous, IMO.   Ezekiel needs a better pet game. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

No, he'd shoot those too, but they would be more believable than a tiger hologram .  Which would make Ezekiel look less ridiculous, IMO.   Ezekiel needs a better pet game. 

If I were a person who read comic books, I might find the whole tiger thing perfectly fine. Since I haven't read comics since I was about 12, I agree with you.

Speaking of tigers and other wildlife, I'm puzzled that CBD has been roaming the woods in Georgia for what seems like an eternity, yet they've never encountered even one  black bear. I would imagine that bears, as opportunistic scavengers, would be thriving in the ZA, but seem to be extinct in GA.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2

I'm hoping Shiva eats "wasted".  Anything else would be just wrong.  If they fed her food that could feed living people, that would be wrong when people are hungry.  Plus, how much meat is there anyway?  But if they filled Shiva's belly with "rot" would it really matter?  No one is planning to eat her.  I think Ezekiel was kidding about her eating up to 10 people.  My guess is that we're not supposed to wonder about what she's really eating.  

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I'm hoping Shiva eats "wasted".  Anything else would be just wrong.  If they fed her food that could feed living people, that would be wrong when people are hungry.  Plus, how much meat is there anyway?  But if they filled Shiva's belly with "rot" would it really matter?  No one is planning to eat her.  I think Ezekiel was kidding about her eating up to 10 people.  My guess is that we're not supposed to wonder about what she's really eating.  

He actually said she eats as much as 10 people (eat).  But yeah, she'd need up to 10lbs  of meat (and bones too) per day. The minute I saw her, I wondered where on earth all that food coming from. If you figure 1/2lb servings, that much meat could feed about 20 people each day. Do they keep a herd of walkers penned up? The thought of feeding a zombie to a tiger every day would turn the strongest stomach, but I guess one can get used to anything.

Shiva has become my new Judith, in that I'm too distracted by thinking about the practical considerations of her care to concentrate on the show. IMO, they should have skipped the tiger.

• Love 5

I am seeing a lot of people hung up on the tiger. Honestly, the mood change in this last episode was so disarming that I am only too happy to suspend my disbelief about Shiva.

I don't know why people seem so hung up on the food issue, though. I was satisfied when Ezekiel addressed that, and the community seemed so prosperous that it really wasn't what tested my belief the most. It was when Ezekiel says that Shiva was never aggressive toward him after he gave her injured leg first aid. I thought, "But... that's not how tigers work." I'm just gonna turn on the garbage disposal and let it drown out that thought. Drowwwwwwn it ouuuuuuuuuut.

• Love 6
On 10/31/2016 at 5:47 AM, Mu Shu said:

Never mind the raw meat needed to feed the tiger.  How do they feed all those horses?    They can't be that plump on grass alone, and how would they be able to turn them to pasture when there seem to be plenty of walkers around to attack them?   These people need bikes, or solar powered golf carts.

I have often had to pull my horses out of pasture because they get too fat, though you would indeed need some pretty spooky and hard to catch horses if they were turned loose....lol!  Those horses were pretty calm and laid back, I found out from a horse friend in GA that the horses have been recycled on the show.  The horse that Morgan rode to search for Carol last season was the one pulling the cart in this episode. 

I wonder if Shiva can eat walkers?  If so...never ending supply of cat food. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Ya know...  The only real thing that bothered me in this episode is that another group had yet another name for the dead.  Does every group have to have a different word for the dead who came back to life?  "Wasted" doesn't even make sense.  How were they wasted?  Wouldn't there be some common moniker used on the TV when the breakout first occurred that was used to describe the dead?  Wouldn't "the dead" be a pretty simple one that apparently no one has thought of yet?  Grrr.  Thank you, I needed to get that out of my system.  Back to your show, already in progress...

Seems that wild boars would be flourishing if they can actually eat the dead.  Easy pickings.

Edited by ChipBach
  • Love 3

Well If they could find people who had just recently turned that would be fresher meat for Shiva to eat. But that would be a lot of searching . ..or they could just follow CDB, where they go death follows. instant endless supply of  Shiva food.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ocean Chick said:

You missed "Lame Brains", courtesy of Whats-his-name and Fat Tony, back at Hershel's watering hole. 

Wasn't there someone who called them "geeks"?

Well If they could find people who had just recently turned that would be fresher meat for Shiva to eat.

They must be feeding her walkers, but I don't think that totally rotted carrion (and by now most of the zombies are just skin and bone and not much meat) would be enough. Damn, here I go again, worrying about a tiger that isn't even real.

13 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Wasn't there someone who called them "geeks"?

Yes; season 1. Glenn, T-Dog and Morales referred to them as "geeks"

5 hours ago, ChipBach said:

Ya know...  The only real thing that bothered me in this episode is that another group had yet another name for the dead.  Does every group have to have a different word for the dead who came back to life?  "Wasted" doesn't even make sense.  How were they wasted?  Wouldn't there be some common moniker used on the TV when the breakout first occurred that was used to describe the dead?  Wouldn't "the dead" be a pretty simple one that apparently no one has thought of yet?  Grrr.  Thank you, I needed to get that out of my system.  Back to your show, already in progress...

Seems that wild boars would be flourishing if they can actually eat the dead.  Easy pickings.

It's not as if they can all come to a consensus or something.  Makes more sense that everyone would have a different name since there are no communication channels.

• Love 2

I think they called them "rotters" at Grady. And the Fruit Ninjas (Sam and Ana) called them "skin eaters". 

I like a little variation, but yea...when you put it all together it does seem like too many different names. 

• Love 2

How come no one called them Zombies?  I know the writers don't want that term but really, if there were dead people ambling around you would think that Someone in this big wide world would come up with the wholly unimaginative name of Zombie.   It fits more than Geeks that's for sure. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Boofish said:

It's not as if they can all come to a consensus or something.  Makes more sense that everyone would have a different name since there are no communication channels.

I think the initial point was 

1 hour ago, Boofish said:

Wouldn't there be some common moniker used on the TV when the breakout first occurred that was used to describe the dead?

I'd could see maybe regionally they would be called different things, but there's like a 400 sq mi area with 5 different names is weird. That would be like if we had 20 names for "google it" or "tweeting something". 

I think no one uses the term "zombies" because that just doesn't exist in this universe. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pixiebomb said:

How come no one called them Zombies?  I know the writers don't want that term but really, if there were dead people ambling around you would think that Someone in this big wide world would come up with the wholly unimaginative name of Zombie.   It fits more than Geeks that's for sure. 

In an interview with Lori (sorry I forget her real name) she said they couldn't call them "zombies" since everyone has seen a zillion zombies movies and seen how to deal with them. No one in the show is supposed to know that, so the word "zombies" is verboten.

Tigers are a solitary top notch predator. This means that they habitually kill creatures much, larger than they can quickly finish off. Ten pounds of meat a day ain't nothing when you're eating a water buffalo. Everything after meal number one is rotting. So I would assume that if dogs and pigs can eat zombies, so can tigers.

That doesn't mean she'd survive on her own, though. An entire herd of zombies, determined to pile on and chew away at any part they can reach, with no regard for pain or danger, would eventually wear out even a tiger. I think that's also why we haven't seen any bears. Dogs and pigs have the advantage of being social animals, so they can look out for each other better.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

The less animals shown, all the better.  It never seems to end well for them.  I don't want to see any more animal deaths on this show.  Now they are adding more horses to the mix among other animals.  I don't like where this show is heading.

If characters want to do stupid crap that get themselves killed, that is on them.  The writers' need to leave the animals out of it.

I agree. To this day, I remain traumatized over the piglets. Bash Glenn's head in, but the piglets? That was just cruel.  

I think that's also why we haven't seen any bears. Dogs and pigs have the advantage of being social animals, so they can look out for each other better.

But bears can climb trees and wait for a herd of geeks/rotters/biters to pass!

• Love 1
On 01/11/2016 at 7:19 PM, ganesh said:

You don't really need a "lab." I don't necessarily mean a character like the CDC guy. I know that isn't that kind of show. The guy who was working for the governor had his own thing going on. I some people like that. Or even someone walking around just collecting and sharing information on whatever. People trying to actually figure things out

I want to see this scientific curiosity too, it's interesting even if it fails- I really appreciated the governor's guy doing experiments. CDB now seem stunningly uninterested in finding things out  (it always makes me laugh remembering the prison when the pigs got sick and Rick was all "oh well, I guess we'll never know what's wrong with them"- if only they'd had a vet there who could scientifically diagnose such things, heh) 

• Love 5

I had sworn to quit the show after last week's ep, but chatter on FB and reading this thread pulled me in. A guy with a tiger? LARPers in the Z-poc? I'm there. This is the kind of crap I like. I'd rather have a show about stuff like this than Negan and his stupid bat and endless torture and gore for the sake of gore. I'm really more into how are people living in the ZA.
The tiger is fucking stupid. I think we all can agree. But, there it is. I liked Ezekiel. He was ridiculous but made sense in a way. I was sick of Carol's attitude. I don't care if she thought the Kingdom and Zeke were a joke, be grateful. They still saved your ass and used up resources on you. Morgan is less irritating, but Stick Jr is going to die and cause Morgan angst. 
At first I was all like yeah, tainted meat about having the pigs eat walkers, but then I remembered about that not even having time to digest, so all they did was make the pigs have walkers in their guts to clean out. 
Ugh, I watched the whole episode, taking in all the fun stuff of the Kingdom, just knowing CDB will be around the corner to wreck it all.
I could ship Ezekiel/Carol.

Not looking forward to the Daryl torture next week.

• Love 2

Sometimes I feel the powers that be really just don't have a pulse as to what viewers want to see.

I mean was there anyone who didn't want to see the aftermath of last week and yet TPTB chose to go this route with a Carol/Morgan centric story?

Its like when they misjudged with the cliff hanger this past spring....and all the times they would shift focus and characters would dissapear for weeks at a time...including Rick!

They've got the whole tease and delay thing down to a science...they even did it last episode with the 20 minute delay for the reveal.

Anyway when this guy was doing Game of Thrones speak for the first 45 minutes it felt like we were watching a spoof.

Two things redemed it somewhat....when he finally dropped the exposition bomb to Carol but I am glad they didn't try and make it a big mystery for weeks as to what was his deal. 

Second was Alana Masterson in the credits! She's earned her due and deserves to be listed with the main cast. I hope Tara comes back soon.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Dr.Jacoby said:

I want to see this scientific curiosity too, it's interesting even if it fails- I really appreciated the governor's guy doing experiments.

That was totally fine for me too. The problem for me is they played him for an idiot. "Oh, CDB is so street smart, they know this won't work." And they had him insist on it, rather than, "What can you tell me that I am missing or don't know?" Not that the show is about that, but CDB comes to a new town, and oh, here's a guy setting up for some experiments. He's there. He doesn't have to be the feature. The character expands the universe. 

While learning how to melee fight is probably the #1 priority because wasting bullets is dumb, no one is figuring out less risky ways to dispatch the walkers that's efficient. They had like 100 *trapped in a pit* and the best idea was, "let's lead them all out of it." 

And there's Negan who is the guy that wants to eat all the chickens when he should be eating eggs. Learn how to grow a garden? Nope. 

• Love 3

I was on vacation and just had the chance to watch this episode.  I was prepared to hate it, hate it as much as when Eugene, Abe, and Rosita showed up as The Walking Comics.

I have no idea how, but this seemed was less graphic novelie than when those three showed up, and there was a damn Tiger!  

I don't mind that the people of The Kingdom have things like movie night.  You eventually have to have things to look forward to other than survival.  They obviously are not like the ASZ peeps in that they are already leaps and bounds above them in terms of growing food and defense.  ASZ peeps were doing things like book clubs instead of planting gardens.  They had a community all set up for success because it was made to be sustainable, but they were freakin' lazy.  Deanna had all those plans for farms and more walls and junk but none of them seemed ambitious enough to do the work required.

I think Negan and Co show up at The Hilltop when their offerings are short of what they asked.  Ezekiel seems smart enough to give them what they want to keep them away from his community.  If I had to take a guess, the clearing of the building that killed Ben's Father was really a show like Negan put on for Rick's group, and Ezekiel was smart enough to keep them away from his community by working something out with Negan.

I mean we all know now that Negan's group are bad, but when Rick and Co. slaughtered all those people in their sleep all they had was the word of some strangers.  I'm sure that what they went through was because of that.  Negan is interested in people that will work for him, so as long as they are producing well I think he'd leave them alone.  That one guy even said "Cut it out, they've been good to us" after the fight.

Something else that was very telling was the reason why Ezekiel kept Negan a secret - he knew his people would want to fight and that they couldn't win.  That says a lot about this community in general.  ASZ peeps would be crapping their pants if they knew about Negan.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

I was sick of Carol's attitude. I don't care if she thought the Kingdom and Zeke were a joke, be grateful. They still saved your ass and used up resources on you. 

Same.  I wonder if Carol is going to meet broccoli boy, and if she'll be as big a shit to him as she was to Sam.

• Love 2

I agree that the Kingdom are a different beast altogether from ASZ. With the gardens, use of livestock, and ability to develop ways of fighting that doesn't waste dwindling bullets shows that. I also see the fantasy element differently too---the choirs, lessons on open air porches, repurposing tires and filing cabinets outdoors in clear communal gardens (not personal mowed yards like ASZ). Sure, there was a hokey anachronism role-play element that clearly annoyed Carol, but it certainly is more suited to the reality than Deanna's ASZ when they first met Rick & Co.  Deanna's group tried too much to pretend it was just another suburban cul-de-sac, complete with looking the other way at the neighbor who drinks up all their booze and beats his wife.

Edited by JasonCC
  • Love 2

I have been thinking about why it is that I enjoy the cartoonishness of Ezekiel and hate the cartoonishness of Negan.

I think what it comes down to is that it works when a character is completely self aware (Ezekiel) or totally delusional (Governor). Negan is a weird in between where he's not completely putting on a show to maintain control, but is also not giving me the impression that he actually views himself as a god among men. He's like a Claimer on steroids but unlike the Claimers he is supposed to be portrayed with some depth, and that depth has just never come across IMO. 

ITA with the lack of scientific curiosity. As medically ludicrous as it was, always bothered me that Andrea never told Milton a high level CDC virologist (or whatever he was) who dedicated and ultimately ended his life studying the infection said the disease has an effect on a specific part of the brain after death. Someone could work with that knowledge. Similarly with Eugene at Terminus. No one asked why he was so hopeful when Jenner's professional advice was to kill yourself ASAP. I guess I'm not being fair since the genre isn't about finding a cure--but you'd think every now and then you'd see someone standing over a microscope with a blood sample. The drive to understand the disease would be strong, IMO.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Dr.Jacoby said:

I want to see this scientific curiosity too, it's interesting even if it fails- I really appreciated the governor's guy doing experiments. CDB now seem stunningly uninterested in finding things out  (it always makes me laugh remembering the prison when the pigs got sick and Rick was all "oh well, I guess we'll never know what's wrong with them"- if only they'd had a vet there who could scientifically diagnose such things, heh) 

That disinterest is something that drove me crazy in the very first episode. Rick comes staggering out of the hospital in his nightie to death, devastation and the living dead, and then when he ends up in Morgan's house he asks not one single question. Not even "What happened?" (Or when or how or how long) Nothing.  Everyone was a million times more interested in Lori's pregnancy than the were in pondering why the world as we know it has ended.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

It seems like not asking obvious questions is a staple of post modern TV writing. Lost is like the pinnacle . 

Yeah: ignore the elephants in the room, and get involved in stupid love triangles, instead. Throw punches, and suspect each other of wrongdoing - because everyone has a back-story, but when someone is finally about to spill the beans, another person says, "I don't want to know" or someone comes running with big news about a big attack that's about to happen, so no time to talk! You need to run! 

• Love 2

apparently that CGI tiger puts a dent in the budget.  I'd rather see the money go somewhere other than cheesy effects, but comics.   If only they had made the lion 30% smaller,  Zeke could have a better wig, Daryl could get a haircut, and Negan could get a jacket that fits.   

• Love 7
On 11/2/2016 at 2:59 PM, Pixiebomb said:

Kirkman has been adamant that the Z-word does not exist in this particular facet of the multiverse.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

apparently that CGI tiger puts a dent in the budget.  I'd rather see the money go somewhere other than cheesy effects, but comics.   If only they had made the lion 30% smaller,  Zeke could have a better wig, Daryl could get a haircut, and Negan could get a jacket that fits.   

Or they could have gotten an actual tiger. I'm sure it would have been cheaper! 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mandolin said:

Except it's probably in Norman Reedus's contract that he never be required to get a haircut. Oh, season 1 Daryl, how I miss you...when you had eyes.

... and a personality. Maybe he lost his personality when he was unable to see anything anymore. A whole new world would open for him if someone sneaked up on him and gave him a trim. He'd probably be shocked, the way a sheepdog is when the hair covering their eyes is cut.

Personally, I'm happy wild animals are mostly CGI now, since I don't really like them being made to perform for entertainment. Although some of the CGI critters look incredibly good, it's - IMO - best to use them sparingly -  only when really necessary.  I think the tiger should have stayed in the comic book where it belongs.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

And abusive to the tiger. No thanks. I would take a ridiculous looking CGI tiger any day over making such a majestic creature hang out on set all day and perform for humans. 

8 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

.. and a personality. Maybe he lost his personality when he was unable to see anything anymore. A whole new world would open for him if someone sneaked up on him and gave him a trim. He'd probably be shocked, the way a sheepdog is when the hair covering their eyes is cut.

Preach. Daryl's long and filthy hair has become such a distraction that I find myself constantly making snarky comments about it, instead of paying attention to the plot. Does Daryl even KNOW who got Lucilled? 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to promote tiger abuse.

No one thought you were! The use of wild animals for entertainment has always bothered me a lot.  The fact that not everyone feels that way doesn't mean they're advocates of abuse. And you're right - it probably would be cheaper. I was actually surprised at how good Shiva looks, considering the other CGI animal disasters on this show, e.g. the overly-bendy deer that got shot when Coral did, and the pasted-on snarls of the dogs that ended up being CDB's dinner. Strictly amateur hour.

• Love 1
On 11/3/2016 at 2:33 PM, AngelaHunter said:

That disinterest is something that drove me crazy in the very first episode. Rick comes staggering out of the hospital in his nightie to death, devastation and the living dead, and then when he ends up in Morgan's house he asks not one single question. Not even "What happened?" (Or when or how or how long) Nothing.  Everyone was a million times more interested in Lori's pregnancy than the were in pondering why the world as we know it has ended.

My one strong - if not criticism, then - least positive reaction about this whole series.  Other than the brief CDC stint at the end of S1 (which was more of just studying the walkers and the unpossible likely event of ever finding a cure) and then Eugene trying to fake being a scientist with a cure, they've never once even tried to deal with the 'Why/How!?!?" of the whole apocalypse.

At this point in the series, I can buy that a "who cares, all we can do is survive" attitude is the general feeling, but looking back on it, its pretty much nearly unbelievable that the first 2 to 3 seasons went by with absolutely no curiosity about the whole new shitty the-dead-come-back-to-life-and-are-reallly-hungry! reality.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

The Cable Live +3 ratings are in for "The Well":

The overnight ratings for episode 2 of “The Walking Dead” were considerably lower than those of its Season 7 premiere. But the episode is also adding more viewers after the fact than the premiere did.

The Oct. 30 episode grew by 2.3 points in adults 18-49 with three days of DVR and on-demand viewing, rising from a 6.1 to an 8.4 rating. That’s ahead of the 1.9-point gain the premiere made after three days. Episode 2’s viewer gain (4.39 million) is also ahead of the debut’s 3.76 million. [16.849 million viewers]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/the-walking-dead-makes-bigger-gains-in-cable-live-3-ratings-for-oct-24-30/

It's early in Season 7, but here are the ratings (Live +Same Day followed by Live +3) so far:

10-23-16 “The Day Will Come When You Won’t Be” 17.029 million; 20.793 million
10-30-16 “The Well” 12.455 million; 16.849 million

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

At this point in the series, I can buy that a "who cares, all we can do is survive" attitude is the general feeling, but looking back on it, its pretty much nearly unbelievable that the first 2 to 3 seasons went by with absolutely no curiosity about the whole new shitty the-dead-come-back-to-life-and-are-reallly-hungry! reality.

It's not so much that no one is looking for a cure, it's questions like "can we burn them? How else can we kill them that's safer?" etc. Do they sink? Do they drown? Do you have to cut off the brain or puncture it? Do they always travel in packs ? How does sound affect them? 

At this point , they should have a big figurative database. They've learned on the fly , but there really hasn't been someone who actually is asking these questions and figuring it out. 

• Love 1
On 11/6/2016 at 6:06 PM, Christi said:

WTH?  Why is next week 1.1/2 hours long? If it's a mid season finale after FOUR episodes then I'm done...omg

Last season's episode 4 was also 90 minutes. Maybe they're starting a trend. 

The Cable Live +7 Ratings are in for "The Well":

“The Walking Dead” grew from a 6.1 to a 9.0 rating in adults 18-49. [17.947 million viewers]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/cable-live-7-ratings-for-oct-24-30-2016/

And here are the Cable Live + Same Day, Live +3, and Live +7 ratings for Season 2, so far:

10-23-16 “The Day Will Come When You Won’t Be” 17.029 million; 20.793 million; 21.528 million
10-30-16 “The Well” 12.455 million; 16.849 million; 17.947 million