Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Welcome To Earth

• Start Topic

"You should see my other jet."  Subtle, show.  Side note, Lynda Carter still looks fabulous.

This episode didn't really grab me (possibly because I was in and out of the room) but Olsen showing some kind of back bone  to Snapper?  He actually DID something!  Huzzah!  (Eh.) 

• Love 9

This was a solid episode—I would say slightly better than 2x02, in fact. They had a LOT of setup to do tonight, and several new players to introduce, and they generally did it well. There were a couple of breaks from logic, as there always are on this show, but on the whole, solid.

First: Alex/Maggie is ON LIKE DONKEY KONG. Get it, Alex (and Maggie, as Maggie already had Alex’s number after like thirty seconds together!)! I thought Floriana Lima and Chyler Leigh had solid chemistry. Leigh was doing more heavy lifting in their scenes together but you know, as long as Lima can play well off Leigh like she did tonight, that’s really all they need, as Leigh is so good. So. They laid Maggie on a little too thick in the first bar scene, but otherwise I thought they introduced the character well.

Second: Lynda Carter as alien President! I want more of that stat! I liked her portrayal of the POTUS, and dang she is still beautiful, but it’s the alien reveal that got me really interested.

Third: Miss Martian! I feel looooooooove in the air for J’onn as well as Kara and Alex! I can't believe Sharon Leal is 44. She looks 25 at best. Does she have a portrait stashed in an attic somewhere?

Fourth: Mon-El is pretty and I liked his reaction to Daxam’s destruction (wish they’d held that beat longer), but I’m already bored by Kara/Mon-El. This is in part because…

Fifth: …Kara and Lena have some serious chemistry. SERIOUS. Way more than Kara has had with any dude. That aside, are they going to play it like Lena turns against Kara because Kara DOESN’T tell her about her secret identity and Lena finds out? Because that’s where I feel like we’re headed right now. Thus far Lena is compelling; McGrath has charisma/presence to burn and she’s making the most out of her small scenes. Shallowly, though, wardrobe hasn’t quite figured her out yet; McGrath is really pretty, but that first outfit they had her in did her no favors. Also they played Kara as too obviously bumbling in the alien detector scene.

Other things: good thing Alex fell into that SUPER CONVENIENT fountain when she got lit on fire! But Kara’s “Make smarter choices!” to Alex earlie in the episode makes me wonder if we’re headed for a bigger sister schism that they’ve kind of laid the ground for a bit. If handled properly, that could be really really interesting and compelling, and push both characters in new directions.

Is the DEO is seriously so incompetent that they have missed alien bars in National City? Really?? So really, how incompetent are they???

The Catco stuff this episode needed a few more minutes of screentime and not to be split between James v Snapper (who somehow is taking over Catco even though we’ve never heard of him before? Riiiight) and Kara having to learn to be a journalist. The James v Snapper stuff wasn't bad, though minimal James and Winn is definitely how I like my episodes. Also, speaking of no favors, Kara not knowing the difference between an op-ed and a more neutral take on the news makes her look like a 5-year-old. That was just cringe-inducingly bad. Snapper would be well within his rights to actually fire her.

Solid and fun episode on the whole.

• Love 11

Supergirl did the Wonder Woman twirl!

3 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Third: Miss Martian! I feel looooooooove in the air for J’onn as well as Kara and Alex!

I thought Miss Martian was Manhunter's niece? I only know from Young Justice.

Not really looking forward to Alex and Maggie. But it's the CW now so it's expected.

• Love 5

Am I the only one who's on Snapper's side? Seriously, he's only trying to get her to write an unbiased story, without Kara cluttering it up with her own personal opinions. It's a damn article, not an editorial! 

I thought it was a nice touch, juxtaposing Kara's feelings for alien rights with her bias towards Daxamites. A little heavy-handed, maybe, but it showed that even Supergirl has flaws to work past. 

If Alex and Maggie don't hook up by Christmas, I'm gonna be very disappointed in the show's writing staff.

• Love 11

I guess Kara has given up even pretending to hide her secret identity at the DEO?  It's a good thing there's never been a mole at the DEO (you know, aside from that guy working for Cadmus).

So Alex and Maggie are hooking up before 2017, right?  Kara and Mon-El might take a bit longer but there's no way they can resist two members from warring species overcoming inherent hatred and finding love.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, benteen said:

What a preachy and cringe-inducing episode.

Frankly, the ONLY thing that saved this episode was the "President is really an alien" part. Because that means the Infernian assassin was actually right and the Alien Amnesty Act probably IS just a ploy to identify the aliens for a nefarious purpose like taking out the powered people so her species can actually take over more easily.

1 minute ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

Am I the only one who's on Snapper's side? Seriously, he's only trying to get her to write an unbiased story, without Kara cluttering it up with her own personal opinions. It's a damn article, not an editorial! 

Nope... I'm definitely in Snapper's camp.

JamesJimmy (man-children don't get to be called James) was especially annoying with his "I rewrote your work not for actual merit but because you were mean to my friend."

I REALLY want Cat to come back and fire Jimmy's ass because didn't Cat bring in Snapper specifically to do what he's doing?

Snapper was 100% right about Kara's initial story being horribly biased and even Kara admitted it after the fact.

Honestly, if they continue to portray Snapper like they did here, he could end up being my new favorite character on the show.

• Love 7

Alex and Maggie are totally going to become girlfriends. They didnt even try to hide it.

So I'm guessing they didnt do their full homework on Mon-El since his real name is Lar-Gand and he was named Mon-El since he had amnesia and he was basically adopted into the Superman family.

It's weird not seeing M'Gann without her signature red locks but I like the design. I pray that they dont strip her of her powers like they did J'onn. Esp her telepathy is a HUGE aspect of her character.

Didnt they already do the whole replace someone of high authority with an alien plot last season? Why revisit it AGAIN?

• Love 2

I'm no fan of Trump, but I thought it was hilarious how much Kara channeled El Grande Cheeto in regards to Mon-El.

Winn:  "He's a Daxamite."

Kara:  "OUT OUT OUT"

Also, I question the wisdom of having an office politics pissing match in front of a lot of employees that probably respect Snapper a whole lot more than they do you.

Edited by lion10
  • Love 5

Sorry, I have to say it, but the worst part of the is episode was Melissa. I thought her acting was HORRIBLE. What happened with her portrayal because normally she's so good?? And I have been such a fan of hers since Glee season 4, but she is seriously overacting imo. Everything from her facial expressions to her line delivery is just really cringy and it bothered me throughout the entire episode. This also might be part of the reason why I found Kara to be extremely annoying tonight. This is the most unlikeable she has ever been to me. EVER. 

Now that I got that off my chest...

I enjoyed the episode but did find it quite preachy. I applauded snapper for calling Kara out on her biased article. He was right. 

I LOVE all three of the new characters introduced tonight. Maggie is fantastic! The chemistry is great with Chyler and that ship has definitely launched. I thought Mon-El was awesome as well. Loved his sarcasm with Kara and laughed out loud when he said "what's a...pres-iii-bent??" haha. I've thought Chris Wood has been good in all his other roles and I think he'll be good here as well. I like the conflict between Krypton and Daxam and I think it will be nice to see Kara and Mon-El work through that as they get to know each other better. I'm excited to see more of M'gann and for J'onn to find a companion. J'onn is a really heartbreaking character to watch so I'm looking forward to seeing him make a connection with someone other than the Danvers girls. 

Didn't miss Winn much this episode.

I really like Lena and think she (and Maggie) are a major upgrade from Lucy last season. By far more interesting characters! I do think Lena will ultimately be bad though and we will see her turn more toward the dark side as the season progresses. 

All in all, good episode. I still think this season is much better than last season and you can tell they have tried to really make some strong changes from things that didn't work so well last season. 

I did miss Cat though :( 

• Love 1

I have a journalism degree, so of course I knew where Snapper was coming from. Now, the bit where he doesn't put on his glasses? Can't excuse that.

Observation: This show doesn't do political well. I mean, great that we get Lynda Carter, Volcana, Maggie Sawyer, Miss Martian (hello, Megan!!) and friggin' Mon-El in one episode, but civics should be saved for Arrow. Yeah, I know, dubious.

Isn't Canon Daxam made up of xenophobic pricks? I'll keep quiet about Mon's weakness, and not just for that damn wine.

26 minutes ago, Chris24601 said:

JamesJimmy (man-children don't get to be called James) was especially annoying with his "I rewrote your work not for actual merit but because you were mean to my friend."

Equally annoying, but I think he rewrote it because Snapper took over his meeting earlier. So this was his way to assert authority. ::eyeroll::

• Love 6

Every time Kara talked to  Mon-El the MAD TV song Pretty White Kids with Problems kept running through my head.  This show is so on the CW.  Thank goodness he was able to hit up a Buckle before before trying to send a satellite signal into space.

I like the friendship James and Kara have right now. This is how they should have written them from the beginning and all that wishy washy Lucy stuff should have never happened. 

I like the alien bar but I think the DEO should have known about it.

Loved J'onn's annoyance/horror over Kara asking him about her hair.

I don't care who else they're introducing on to the show J'onn and Alex are the only ship I have on this show and I'm keeping it.

Winn might as well just grow his hair out and start wearing T-shirts all the time.

Edited by miracole
  • Love 2

Good things:

1. I see Supergirl is just embracing its CW destiny and going with shirtless action scenes. I'm here for this, since otherwise that character is kinda boring.

2. Yay, Lynda Carter!  And she's an alien!  And she thinks Supergirl should see her other plane. Heh.

3. So, that accusation that the whole Alien Act was actually just a way to round up aliens and put them into danger might actually be true, hmm?

4. Really liking Maggie Sawyer so far. Possibly because she's not exactly subtle about announcing her sexual orientation, heh.

5. Another Martian? Oooh.

6. I like the alien bar.

Questionable things:

1. And once again I find myself shipping the wrong thing on this show, as the show tries to set up Mon-El with Kara, even giving us the shirtless stuff, and I'm all about Lena and Kara. Though I am on board with Alex/Maggie, so it wasn't all bad.

2. So, wait, the DEO is supposedly tracking/watching aliens, and yet they've somehow missed the location of a major alien hangout until now? And how did J'onn not know about this from his Martian Manhunter stuff?

3. I, too, was on the editor's side with Kara's column - she was told to report, not to say that LutherCorp was the ongoing embodiment of evil.

4. I guess I'm happy that the show is trying to find James something to do, but "James finally learns how to be a boss" is not exactly as interesting as pretty much anything else in this episode.  Not to mention that having that fight in front of the rest of the staff was probably not the wisest move. And I'm going to disagree with James on another thing, too - he should have at least consulted with Snapper before changing the lede. Snapper gave Kara that courtesy.

5. How did Kara know exactly what thing in the Alien ID thing to hit with her heat vision so that it would a) still work and b) not be able to identify her as an alien?

6. Why is Kara typing up her articles at the DEO? To give Winn the chance to have some dialogue? I know Snapper didn't give her a desk, but surely she should be trying to do at least some typing at CatCo to help keep up her secret identity.

Bad things:

1. Three episodes in, and Supergirl is already using two of Arrow's favorite warehouses and one of Arrow/Flash's favorite chain link fence location shots. At least this time the extras weren't as recognizable.

2. Speaking of a lack of subtlety, show, there's anvils, and then there was this episode, where you might as well have been throwing bricks at the heads of viewer. "Preachy" and "Cringe-inducing" are almost too kind for some of the moments.  I get that Supergirl was trying to Make a Statement here, but maybe try to make it a little less obvious, or at least not have several scenes focused on it. 

3. Is it just me, or are the villains of the week really boring this season so far?

4. I already miss Cat Grant, and it's only been one episode.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, ActualSize said:

I know the Wonder Woman references were flying - and really fun! - but did anyone else get a demon bar vibe? I almost expected Willy to be behind the counter serving drinks and snitching.

Yes, definitely! I was specially excited when Alex went to go beat up the alien for information a la "Willy the snitch".

I thought the episode was a bit heavy-handed overall, but it was nice how Kara's biases were a recurring theme. I'd be annoyed if they just let that slide.

I can easily see Kara and Mon-El together. I'm not super happy about it, since I don't really want Kara's life to revolve around a man, but if they do it in a believable way, it won't be too bad.

I love Alex and Maggie together. Excited to see where that goes.

I also really like Lena Luthor. I hope she sticks around. I could also definitely get behind a Kara/Lena ship, at least as much as I could buy Kara and Mon-El. I wonder why her alien detection device showed Kara as human - or if it secretly indicated that she's an alien - and what aliens Lena has been in contact with to test her prototype device on.

I miss Cat. James and Snapper are no comparison.

I'm surprised at how well Winn is fitting in with DEO - he no longer feels useless - but I worry that he will end up being the "magic computer guy" like Garcia on Criminal Minds. Any time it's convenient for the plot, "magic computer person" can find whatever information they need. If it's not convenient for the plot, they won't.

• Love 3

Man, I'm totally on Snapper's side too. He's trying to teach Kara about being a reporter in a way that may not appeal to many and it may seem rude, but he's just trying to get her to learn. She has never done any reporting before. She has no experience, so if she's stuck with Snapper now, he has to teach her to be good so she doesn't make him look bad. So Jimmy can sit down and shut up, especially since he is still learning to be Cat's replacement.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well Maggie/Alex worked for their first episode. I felt the chemistry in their first scene, and it never let up. Maggie is a great character. I've been impressed with all of the new female characters.

Lena/Kara would be such an interesting couple. You know, show, you can have more than one LGBTQ character. 

Mon-El is pretty boring overall, but his occasional snark was ok. I'm not feeling Mon-El/Supergirl, though. Hopefully the show slows down on the pairing and they read the reactions to them before doing anything.

Miss Martian! I liked her entrance! 

This was definitely better than the last episode, but not as good as the premiere for me. Although I loved the President Alien reveal. 

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Trini said:

Equally annoying, but I think he rewrote it because Snapper took over his meeting earlier. So this was his way to assert authority. ::eyeroll::

Yeah, I took James' rewriting Snapper's headline as more about taking control of the writing room back. Which I actually didn't mind, can't lie, because it struck me as pretty realistic in terms of setting up their dynamic.

So I'm guessing they didnt do their full homework on Mon-El since his real name is Lar-Gand and he was named Mon-El since he had amnesia and he was basically adopted into the Superman family.

I think they just wanted to go with the character's more recognizable/widely-known name.

I really like Lena and think she (and Maggie) are a major upgrade from Lucy last season. By far more interesting characters! I do think Lena will ultimately be bad though and we will see her turn more toward the dark side as the season progresses. 

Agreed on all counts. No way will they keep Kara and Lena as friends-who-disagree; they're destined for frienemy status soon.

I too miss Cat, btw. :(

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 6

When Kara zapped the alien detector with her heat vision I assumed she was damaging it so it would short out when Lena scanned her. Instead, it somehow malfunctioned and registered her as human. Uhh, what? Damaging it is one thing. Lena did say it was a prototype after all. But how was Kara know how to zap it in such a precise way, without even knowing how the thing works?

Snapper was absolutely right. I got into the same discussion with my journalism teacher. He doesn't have to be so nasty about it but I understand why he does that. He's pushing his reporters to find out which ones are tough enough to take it. After all, if they can't stand up to him what use will they be in the field when confronted with a resistant, angry source?

Alex and Maggie, wow. I have rarely seen two people with that much immediate chemistry. If it's not going to be them (which seems unlikely, because Maggie seemed half ready to climb into Alex's lap to me) it could only be Kara and Lena, because they are a close second. I doubt the CW, and more to the point DC, would go that route with their star character, though I could be wrong.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what makes Cat think a photojournalist is suited to run her media empire but hey, she's the CEO so go James. At least this gives him something to do.

Mon-El was....there. I suppose I should care but I don't.

I completely forgot Miss Martian was coming. I am not too familiar with the character but this should be interesting for J'onn.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, KirkB said:

As I recall, some people were pairing Winn and James back in season 1.

That was more of a bromance than a true same-sex romantic relationship.  In any event, I prefer my same-sex romantic pairings to be organic in nature, not forced for the sake of inclusivity.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

First: Alex/Maggie is ON LIKE DONKEY KONG. Get it, Alex (and Maggie, as Maggie already had Alex’s number after like thirty seconds together!)! I thought Floriana Lima and Chyler Leigh had solid chemistry. Leigh was doing more heavy lifting in their scenes together but you know, as long as Lima can play well off Leigh like she did tonight, that’s really all they need, as Leigh is so good. So. They laid Maggie on a little too thick in the first bar scene, but otherwise I thought they introduced the character well.

My sister and I had the same thoughts. We ARE supposed to be shipping them right? According to spoilers/spec there will be a LGBTQ character this season so it has to be Alex now no? (Sorry, I'm behind on my Supergirl press releases so if this has been announced already, ignore me).

1 hour ago, ActualSize said:

I know the Wonder Woman references were flying - and really fun! - but did anyone else get a demon bar vibe? I almost expected Willy to be behind the counter serving drinks and snitching.

I got some serious Buffy flashbacks there too.

1 hour ago, Chris24601 said:

They need to find something to do with Jimmy Olsen. He's about as interesting as a cardboard cutout right now and trying to add layers to him by making him act petty to his employees isn't endearing him to me.

31 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Man, I'm totally on Snapper's side too. He's trying to teach Kara about being a reporter in a way that may not appeal to many and it may seem rude, but he's just trying to get her to learn. She has never done any reporting before. She has no experience, so if she's stuck with Snapper now, he has to teach her to be good so she doesn't make him look bad. So Jimmy can sit down and shut up, especially since he is still learning to be Cat's replacement.

Lena/Kara would be such an interesting couple. You know, show, you can have more than one LGBTQ character. 

Mon-El is pretty boring overall, but his occasional snark was ok. I'm not feeling Mon-El/Supergirl, though. Hopefully the show slows down on the pairing and they read the reactions to them before doing anything.

Miss Martian! I liked her entrance! 

This was definitely better than the last episode, but not as good as the premiere for me. Although I loved the President Alien reveal. 

- Snapper was right and I wish the show hadn't made it seem like he was in the wrong through Jimmy Olsen.

- I don't know about Lena/Kara but Katie McGrath tends to have chemistry with everyone she shares the screen with (remembers all those Merlin episodes from way back when).

- What does it say about this show that the only time the male characters actually shine is when they're not Kara's love interests? Nothing about Mon-El made me want to know more about him. He had the standard CW good looking, sort-of-a-jerk-but-really-has-a-good-heart-underneath-it-all vibe that most of their male heroes seem to get (see: Damon from TVD, Bellamy from The 100 etc to name a few). Maybe he'll improve as the season goes on (hopefully).

- Any of our resident knowledgeable comic posters know which alien the President is?

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Observation: This show doesn't do political well. I mean, great that we get Lynda Carter, Volcana, Maggie Sawyer, Miss Martian (hello, Megan!!) and friggin' Mon-El in one episode, but civics should be saved for Arrow. Yeah, I know, dubious.

Is that who fire girl was supposed to be? Lame imitation. 

41 minutes ago, quarks said:

3. Is it just me, or are the villains of the week really boring this season so far?

I actually liked her, but did we even get Fire Alien Girl's name or species??

38 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I'm surprised at how well Winn is fitting in with DEO - he no longer feels useless - but I worry that he will end up being the "magic computer guy" like Garcia on Criminal Minds. Any time it's convenient for the plot, "magic computer person" can find whatever information they need. If it's not convenient for the plot, they won't.

Too late. They're already writing him like Cisco/Felicity except with less screentime and love interest potential.

1 hour ago, benteen said:

What a preachy and cringe-inducing episode.

Yeah, and on top of it the CGI for the fire was pretty shit too.

And the Alien Bar was not only cliche city, but also used the same old stupid Warehouse that The CW always uses.

28 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

What is with the obsession with lesbian couples that I'm seeing on here?  Not every couple pairing has to be same-sex, or even sexual.

There are currently ZERO same-sex couples on Supergirl.  What is it about the possibility of even one f/f couple that has you calling this an "obsession" or a desire for "every couple" to be a same-sex romantic pairing?  This kind of reaction is exactly why normalizing LGBTQ characters and relationships is important.

• Love 14
19 minutes ago, kdm07 said:

- Any of our resident knowledgeable comic posters know which alien the President is?

I think she's a White Martian.  This is not at all good since White Martians are historically some of the worst baddies in the Justice League canon.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

What is with the obsession with lesbian couples that I'm seeing on here?  Not every couple pairing has to be same-sex, or even sexual.  Besides, if people are going to insist on having more than one same-sex romantic couple, why not a MALE couple along with the inevitable Alex/Maggie pairing?  We gay men need our fantasies represented, too, you know!

If it makes you feel any better, if Mon-El ever becomes interesting, I'd be willing to have him with Winn or James. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

What is with the obsession with lesbian couples that I'm seeing on here?  Not every couple pairing has to be same-sex, or even sexual.  Besides, if people are going to insist on having more than one same-sex romantic couple, why not a MALE couple along with the inevitable Alex/Maggie pairing?  We gay men need our fantasies represented, too, you know!

I'd like both, personally. Usually, on shows, it's either one or the other. It's very rarely both. But, as much as I'd love for it to be an Alex/Maggie and a Winn/New Male (perhaps Mon-El himself?), the chances of that happening are slim. Those reasons just have to do with what shows do with LGBTQ characters in general, but that discussion probably should have saved for another thread. 

But as for the obsession with Alex/Maggie, I think it's because Berlanti hinted toward a character on one of his shows coming out and it seems like it'll be Alex. And they worked for me this episode, and it seems like I'm not the only one. There was a lot of typical romantic tropes that they hit. Imagine if Maggie had been a guy:

• Their first interaction is less than ideal; there's some tension and some negativity built up in their first interaction. Note the use of camera angles and how close Alex/Maggie got. On many TV shows I've seen, shows will use this camera technique to have both characters face to face on the same shot to try to illicit romantic feelings or an intense moment of passion.
  • Maggie and Alex run into each other again, where they find some common ground, and Alex understand Maggie more. Maggie brings Alex to a secret place of hers and shares some secrets right off the bat.
  • Maggie's kidnapped and Alex is relentless to find her. Now, this isn't necessarily a full indication of a romantic interest, but TV shows that involved this type of drama will typically have one of the characters kidnapped early on and the other relentless to find them. 

Those are just some points that I've found. I watch a LOT of television, mind you, so I guess I look into things a lot, but I definitely am positive that this is where they're going with these two, and I can understand why me, as well as others, are into it.  

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Aldo Alvarez said:

I think she's a White Martian.  This is not at all good since White Martians are historically some of the worst baddies in the Justice League canon.

Thanks! Off to Wiki to find out more about White Martians.

1 minute ago, wevel said:

There are currently ZERO same-sex couples on Supergirl.  What is it about the possibility of even one f/f couple that has you calling this an "obsession" or a desire for "every couple" to be a same-sex romantic pairing?  This kind of reaction is exactly why normalizing LGBTQ characters and relationships is important.

I don't have a problem with the concept of same-sex romantic pairings.  I have a problem with insisting on forcing same-sex romantic pairings where I have had ZERO evidence that the principals are even oriented that way solely for the sake of inclusiveness and representation.  Kara is NOT gay, and I think it's ridiculous to try to ship her with Lena simply because some people think there aren't enough same-sex romantic pairings in the television universe.  You want same-sex pairings?  Fine, but make them organic pairings, not forced ones.  Forcing something is not "normalizing" it.  It is creating something out of nothing just for the sake of creating it.

• Love 6

Everything you've said, legaleagle53 ("forcing same-sex romantic pairings", the supposed lack of "evidence"), has been countered elsewhere, and this is not probably not the thread for it.  But I do think it's worth pointing out that Alex's sexual orientation was not established at all in S1; if some viewers assumed that she was heterosexual all along, that reflects their heteronormative lens rather than what was in the narrative.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

I don't have a problem with the concept of same-sex romantic pairings.  I have a problem with insisting on forcing same-sex romantic pairings where I have had ZERO evidence that the principals are even oriented that way solely for the sake of inclusiveness and representation.  Kara is NOT gay, and I think it's ridiculous to try to ship her with Lena simply because some people think there aren't enough same-sex romantic pairings in the television universe.  You want same-sex pairings?  Fine, but make them organic pairings, not forced ones.  Forcing something is not "normalizing" it.  It is creating something out of nothing just for the sake of creating it.

As I said, I could get behind a Kara/Lena pairing. This is not because anybody is telling me to or because I think there aren't enough pairings. I'm not just trying to shove same sex characters together. I genuinely could see chemistry between them. I can see it developing into an organic relationship. If you can't, that's fine, but please don't assume other people's motives.

We don't know for sure Kara doesn't have any attraction to women. People would have said Annalise Keating or Willow Rosenberg are straight after season 1 on their respective shows. People assume characters are straight until proven otherwise.

• Love 5

Kara is NOT gay, and I think it's ridiculous to try to ship her with Lena simply because some people think there aren't enough same-sex romantic pairings in the television universe.

I think it's more about finally finding a character that Kara has actual, excellent chemistry with than anything else. Since Kara/James, Kara/Winn, Kara/Adam, and Kara/Mon-El all were/are big buckets of "meh" in the chemistry department. Kara/Lena has more chemistry already than all four of those pairings put together.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

I can see where you're coming from. But the lovely thing about sexuality is that it's fluid. Kara has dated men, of course, which means that she's not gay. But she could be bisexual, or pansexual. I wonder if aliens are more sexually fluid; not that I see them establishing that any time soon. But why can't people see characters having chemistry with other characters, especially ones of the same sex? People ship characters with other characters all the time. The default seems to be with opposite sex characters. I think it's great that people can see the chemistry with characters, no matter their gender. It obviously doesn't mean that it'll happen, but it's nice that people can see it. 

I like the dynamic that Lena/Kara have, for example. I can see a little chemistry with them, just like I saw chemistry with Kara and Adam (Cat's son). The good thing about what's hinted at this season is that it doesn't seem like they're trying for a one-and-done sexuality storyline. They've actually given them typical TV romantic tropes with Alex/Maggie, and it seems like Alex will be legitimately on the LGBTQ spectrum. That gives a little hope that maybe they can expand that from just one character, as it's too typical for shows to have just one LGBTQ character to fulfill some sort of quota or whatever. It doesn't mean it has to be forced. 

But trust me, I get your concern. I share a similar concern! 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, wevel said:

But I do think it's worth pointing out that Alex's sexual orientation was not established at all in S1; if some viewers assumed that she was heterosexual all along, that reflects their heteronormative lens rather than what was in the narrative.

To be fair, there was some flirtation between Alex and Max Lord. (And I thought they had great chemistry) But that was it.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Trini said:

To be fair, there was some flirtation between Alex and Max Lord. (And I thought they had great chemistry)

Agreed, and agreed!  But that level of flirtation, to me, was on about the same level as Kara and Lena, so I think that Alex/Max read as more obviously potentially romantic because of it being a m/f pairing.

10 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I think it's more about finally finding a character that Kara has actual, excellent chemistry with than anything else. Since Kara/James, Kara/Winn, Kara/Adam, and Kara/Mon-El all were/are big buckets of "meh" in the chemistry department. Kara/Lena has more chemistry already than all four of those pairings put together.

This is me. I didn't get the sense that Supergirl is definitely heading in that direction with Kara/Lena, but I did think they were more interesting together than Mon-El and Kara.

• Love 1

Eh, Mon-El and Kara have had basically two scenes together. And I guess I'm in the minority, but I thought they were good. I especially liked the scene with them bickering back and forth between the glass. I don't think I'm ready to throw in the towel on the potential for that to develop and be interesting yet. It's still far too early for me. 

I still think Kara had the best chemistry with Barry. I realize it will NEVER happen, but Grant and Melissa have serious chemistry together imo

As for Lena, there is just something sexy about Katie McGrath. They way she carries herself, her voice...it's very enticing! I think I would ship her with ANYONE she shares a scene with. lol. And right now that's only been Kara. 

Edited by Kendra
  • Love 11

I can see why Chyler Leigh was on board with the 'exploring her sexuality' arc.  It's a juicy thing for an actor.

I can't believe Sharon Leal is 44.  When I saw her, I thought "Why do they always cast too young women for these older guys?"

2 hours ago, lion10 said:

Also, I question the wisdom of having an office politics pissing match in front of a lot of employees that probably respect Snapper a whole lot more than they do you.

That's exactly why -- James had to publicly show that he was the boss.  And no matter what he thinks of James, Snapper was way, way out of line taking over the meeting from the start.

While I understand Snapper's point about bias in an article, who does he think he is, Lou Grant?  How about a little mentoring if you're such a hotshot boss?

• Love 5

For the record, I went with "Volcana" from the animated series because we had Live Wire last season. She could be an original character.

ETA: Anybody else figure Supergirl's fire-extinguishing spinning was another shout-out? I guess Batman: The Brave And The Bold took the theme song for keeps, but the rest of Lynda's other show was up for grabs. BTW, what is her character's name on this show? I don't think I caught that.

• Love 1

I looooooooooove this version of Maggie Sawyer. I already am on board the Alex/Maggie train.

Great to see Lynda Carter as the president. Although I don't know if any modern president, man or woman, would have hair that fab.

The secret alien dive bar was also a cool concept.

Eh, Mon-El and Kara have had basically two scenes together. And I guess I'm in the minority, but I thought they were good. I especially liked the scene with them bickering back and forth between the glass. I don't think I'm ready to throw in the towel on the potential for that to develop and be interesting yet. It's still far too early for me. 

Yeah I liked the bickering too. Kara and Lena's scene had a different dynamic, but I thought Kara had chemistry with both.

While I understand Snapper's point about bias in an article, who does he think he is, Lou Grant? 

That's what the producers say they intend him to be. So far he is being early season sitcom Lou Grant and not hour long drama Lou.

Line of the night:

"People on this world don't have much tolerance for people who look different. I say that as an alien and as someone who's worn the face of a black man for 15 years."

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA: Anybody else figure Supergirl's fire-extinguishing spinning was another shout-out? I guess Batman: The Brave And The Bold took the theme song for keeps, but the rest of Lynda's other show was up for grabs. BTW, what is her character's name on this show? I don't think I caught that.

I don't think they said, but the IGN review claims she is President Olivia Marsdin.

Really she is President Wonder Woman, though, we all know. :)

• Love 3