Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: The Day Will Come When You Won't Be

halgia
  • Start Topic

Well, THAT'S over with! The problem with a show being reliant upon source material is that the show can never REALLY veer off in a direction other than what was presented elsewhere, so I assume the first death was a fakeout to say "look at us being all different and edgy", while the second was adhering to the "literature".  I''ll shut up about this eventually, but Rick was the only viable victim IMO, because even the survivors, while hating what happened, would have understood that Rick's position as leader and his decisions did, to a large extent, bring about his death. Abraham and Glenn? No particular relation to what happened to Negan's people that Negan would have been aware of, and not the loss of a leader, which would leave the group at more of a disadvantage. now, while Rick is demoralized, Negan most likely galvanized the rest, and I hope they come up with a decent plan to rid themselves of him, and either get out of Dodge or make the place worth living.

I am curious about where Morgan and Carol are, both physically and psychologically. Negan won't know what hit him if they get back to where they once were. I'm still in.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, econ07 said:

Watching Chris Hardwick interview these chumps is like watching CNN, MSNBC, FOX, and other network reporters interview their meal tickets ... I mean, the presidential candidates.

Do they actually have counselors out there at the TD live watch..?

if JDM is smart hopefully he never is asked to be a guest on Talking Dead

• Love 1

As a southern person I can take many indignities and slights to my people, but I am not having Lauren Cohans accent .  No ma'am I am not.  It is awful, and make me unable to take Maggie seriously.   Andrew Lincoln does a generic one, but it's acceptable to my ears.   

• Love 22
3 minutes ago, NorthstarATL said:

and I hope they come up with a decent plan to rid themselves of him, and either get out of Dodge or make the place worth living.

I think leaving might be the best idea. Negan says he'll be back in a week. Will he have people watching them? Maybe not right away, but I might bide my time and then try to get out of there. You could get pretty far in a week. Is he really going to track you down across the country????

• Love 9
1 minute ago, ghoulina said:

I think leaving might be the best idea. Negan says he'll be back in a week. Will he have people watching them? Maybe not right away, but I might bide my time and then try to get out of there. You could get pretty far in a week. Is he really going to track you down across the country????

They could go back to the prison.  lol

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, BellyLaughter said:

So I guess most fans will still salivate over (incredibly stupid) Daryl despite his inbred, volatile tendencies finally costing someone really important their life. Hope he has fun as Neeeeeegan's special guest.......*insert eyeroll*

There was a moment right before Glenn was killed when Daryl was dragged away that I heard the banjos from Deliverance playing in my head.

I think Negan would have provoked them until someone gave him an excuse to teach the lesson that if someone acts out then someone they care about dies.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, BellyLaughter said:

So I guess most fans will still salivate over (incredibly stupid) Daryl despite his inbred, volatile tendencies finally costing someone really important their life. Hope he has fun as Neeeeeegan's special guest.......*insert eyeroll*

Wouldn't it make more sense for neegan to kill Daryl for punching him than Glenn who was quietly crying?

• Love 7

I was mostly bored & did not react in the emotional way that I assume TPTB expected of their audience.  Whatever.

Friends who watch TWD but don't take time to read fan msg. boards about the show seem to have "liked" it just fine.  I'll be interested to see what ratings look like.  Let's face it, most consumers of shows like this aren't exactly demanding. 

I'm gonna treat this season like I would a brand new show--I'll give it 3 episodes.  If it engages me, I'll keep watching; if not, I'm gone.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

When the ratings plummet 20 to 30% this season, the producers will blame it on fans being mad that they killed Glen and Abe.

I don't care that the killed Glen and Abe, I am angry that they decided to bore the audience to death in the process, with one endless Neagan monolog after another.  If the producers think that is anything rresembling good television, this show is done and won't make it to season 8.

Exactly, we'll said. Yes I am always upset when members of camp dinner bell die. I am more upset at the thought of a season of another egomaniac, like we had when the governor was around. But Neegan is worse because we have to listen to him pontificate. I am not one to give up on a show I have watched faithfully since the beginning but I think this has just pushed me to a point where I no longer care where they are taking this show. I know others will still watch but I think that's all for me. If I feel a desire to see the cast I love I will watch earlier episodes I have taped not this bullshit. 

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

When the ratings plummet 20 to 30% this season, the producers will blame it on fans being mad that they killed Glen and Abe.

I don't care that the killed Glen and Abe, I am angry that they decided to bore the audience to death in the process, with one endless Neagan monolog after another.  If the producers think that is anything rresembling good television, this show is done and won't make it to season 8.

Yeah, I decided I'm probably not gonna watch this season live simply because enduring Negan live week after week would be quite masochistic. He is NOT a good villain, he's just gimmicky and annoying. I care that they died, but not so much that it would make me stop watching. But enduring an insufferable villain, who will not shut up, for who knows how many months.... that I cannot deal with.

Edited by natyxg
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I'd go try to rebuild Woodbury!

When Glenn got whacked, I muttered, "Y'all never should've left the quarry."

I never understood the logic of letting the walkers leave the quarry and wander near Alexandria. Firebombing the quarry would have made more sense.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Red Fields said:

I expected it to be Glenn because of the dumpster fake out last season. Abe's death surprised me. Neither really had an impact on me with respect to the loss of the character. The sadistic, graphic killing, OTOH, repulsed me. Watching zombies get dispatched or zombies killing humans is fine. Watching a human brutally, over the top, literally pulverizing, murder another human, was disgusting and not something I want to watch.

I agree I think that's what helped me make my decision to stop watching the show from now on. Others have died in the past, but they could have shown Neegan brutality and gotten his point across without being so sadistically graphic. 

• Love 14

Foolishly hoping the tiger appears next week and the pull a Prince of Tides on Negan.

I understand we have to lose characters, but I haven't liked the choices. Lori & Andrea were written horribly so I was happy Andrea at least got a little redemption at the end. But all the older characters with some wisdom (like Dale, Herschel, Deana) dying always took a little something away from the show for me. And Glenn to me was always kind of the heart of the show. Bad enough we had to sit through Negan. Now we have to watch an extended In Memorium for Glenn.

Despite the spoilers I really thought Michonne was gonna get it. And I was happy with that decision. I'll show myself out. 

• Love 3

Such a shocking and emotionally hard episode. I hate to look away at some parts. 

I wasn't expecting it to be 2 people we'd be losing.

Then I though Carl's arm was a goner.

By then end of the episode I just remembered why  hated Rick so much. Worst leader ever!

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

As a southern person I can take many indignities and slights to my people, but I am not having Lauren Cohans accent .  No ma'am I am not.  It is awful, and make me unable to take Maggie seriously.   Andrew Lincoln does a generic one, but it's acceptable to my ears.   

Yes, this. I can't help but wonder why they had to cast LC. She's not all that as an actress and that accent is fingernails on chalkboard for me. Was there no southern american actress who could have played the part? It isn't as if anyone knew who LC was before TWD.

All this does not hold true for AL. He can actually act quite well and his accent is bad but not that bad.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, Red Fields said:

I expected it to be Glenn because of the dumpster fake out last season. Abe's death surprised me. Neither really had an impact on me with respect to the loss of the character. The sadistic, graphic killing, OTOH, repulsed me. Watching zombies get dispatched or zombies killing humans is fine. Watching a human brutally, over the top, literally pulverizing, murder another human, was disgusting and not something I want to watch.

I had also read spoilers about the scene with Carl, and I thought there was no way I could classify that as entertainment.  Carl is the same age as my son. I watched him grow up, and I'm very attached.  I even liked Carl back when he was that little brat who wouldn't stay in the house and threw rocks at zombies.  So I don't want to see sadism directed at him.  I will probably tune in if he gets to be the one who removes Negan from earth.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, oakville said:

Wouldn't it make more sense for neegan to kill Daryl for punching him than Glenn who was quietly crying?

Nope. That's not how Negan operates. If you know that YOU are going to get hurt, you still might risk stepping out of line. You're a lot more likely to be compliant if you know your actions will get someone else hurt or killed. He's fucking sadistic, but it works.

4 minutes ago, oakville said:

I never understood the logic of letting the walkers leave the quarry and wander near Alexandria. Firebombing the quarry would have made more sense.

Oh, I meant they never should have left the original quarry, outside of ATL. Maybe they should have listened to Shane and gone to Ft. Benning!

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, natyxg said:

Yeah, I decided I'm probably not gonna watch this season live simply because enduring Negan live week after week would be quite masochistic. He is NOT a good villain, he's just gimmicky and annoying. I care that they died, but not so much that it would make me stop watching. But enduring an insufferable villain, who will no shut up, for who knows how many months.... that I cannot deal with.

I won't be able to watch either if Negan continues his pontificating. It's just too much he already did two deaths, attempted to kill everyone, have Carl's arm chopped off and have Rick retrieve his axe and adding pontificating to the mix. It's too much and over the top. They don't need to make Negan gimmicky they need to make him a villain in the realm of Gareth (who is still the best villain IMO). 

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, Reghan said:

Ironically we had to put my cat, Maggie, down today.  R.I.P Glenn and Maggie the cat

I'm so sorry about the loss of your kitty. :(

Honestly, I think the fact that I expected the deaths, plus the way they dragged it out for half the episode, has made me more pissed off than sad. Which was probably not the goal. I know characters are going to die, but I hate that my favorites get sacrificed because the writers are too scared to kill off fan-favorites. The only good thing about this is that Maggie will hopefully get a bigger storyline. I would love nothing more than for Maggie, Sasha, and Rosita to be the ones to kill Negan. It won't happen, but I can dream.

• Love 6

This episode has made me reflect upon REAL-LIFE horrific events that a multitude ACTUALLY experience daily across this world such as shown on this episode-- the suffering, the decisions coerced and forcibly foisted...to save not only loved ones but also extended 'communities'.  It doesn't mean that one breaks; it means surviving in order to eventually gain freedomS. In addition, for me,  this show reiterates the importance of democracy and the repudiation of despots.

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, peach said:

I had also read spoilers about the scene with Carl, and I thought there was no way I could classify that as entertainment.  Carl is the same age as my son. I watched him grow up, and I'm very attached.  I even liked Carl back when he was that little brat who wouldn't stay in the house and threw rocks at zombies.  So I don't want to see sadism directed at him.  I will probably tune in if he gets to be the one who removes Negan from earth.

Yea, even though nothing happened that was hands down the worst part of the episode to me. I have always been fond of Carl. Seasons 1 and 2 Carl reminds me a lot of my son. I cannot imagine a father having to do that to his son. I felt like I was going to puke watching the build up to that.

• Love 11

I guess I'm in the small minority that feels gutted by this episode and thinks JDM did an outstanding job (second best villian would go to Gareth for me). I think the Governor would have been more effective had more of his people knew what he was. But most of those idiots were in the dark which just made him more of a joke than a villian.

I want to see them get the best of the Saviors and I'm hoping when the people of Alexandria find out what happened the change in the dynamic will make for good TV. They already hate Rick and this is certainly not going to get him voted homecoming king.

• Love 15

I hated it.  Way too much talking from Negan, way too much posturing.  So slow in the beginning.  The violence was a bit much.  Yes, I know this is a zombie show that is filled with violence but watching a living human being's head get squashed to pulp was not my idea of entertainment.  I was disgusted.  At the violence, at Negan, at the show runners.

They could have killed people quickly and easily and still demonstrated that Negan has the power.  If two had to die, I would have chosen Carl and Eugene.  I'm crushed about Glenn's death.  He's been with us since the beginning and was one of the only originals left.  I never cared much for Abe, but he had his moments.

Will have to see how the next few episodes go... if it's Negan Negan Negan and his continual "By the power of Greyskull, I have the power"... I think I'm done.  Sad to give up on a show after watching from the start, but if the producers think fans will enjoy this direction, they are sadly wrong, at least as far as this fan is concerned.

• Love 8

I think I'm done.

I agree with the poster who said it would have made sense to show Abe and Glenn being killed last season, and ending with Negan dragging Rick into the truck.

The deaths didn't bother me that much.  However, I have the same problem I did with the finale last season - Negan won't shut the fuck up.  I wanted to reach into my TV and rip his tongue out, just to shut him up.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, phalange said:

Honestly, I think the fact that I expected the deaths, plus the way they dragged it out for half the episode, has made me more pissed off than sad. Which was probably not the goal.

My problem is that once I get pissed off, I only calm down to holding a grudge for the rest of my life. It doesn't leave me any room for sad. To be fair, I haven't grieved for a character since Hershel. I haven't been sad about a character death since. Just mad. Tonight, I was incensed. I might remember to be a little bummed about the deaths later on.

Now, I'm just an amused kind of angry.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, JackONeill said:

Is it just me, or have the two big baddies -- the Gov and, now, Negan -- have been amazingly over-acted?

Makes me appreciate the "normalcy" of Gareth of Terminus. In contrast to the over the top hamminess of the Gov and Negan, Gareth, the local coffee barista, was far far spookier.

Gareth and Joe were great villains who were dispatched too soon.   This Negan guy is just some talky ass clown in a two sizes too small woman's moto jacket.  I am unimpressed with the character and the actor. 

• Love 20
5 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

Is it just me, or have the two big baddies -- the Gov and, now, Negan -- have been amazingly over-acted?

Makes me appreciate the "normalcy" of Gareth of Terminus. In contrast to the over the top hamminess of the Gov and Negan, Gareth, the local coffee barista, was far far spookier.

Nope. Not just you. Gareth was absolutely the best villain, IMO. He was subtle and creepy as hell. This OTT crap is annoying. The few times when Negan stopped smiling and got straight up angry were chilling. But all his joking around and and pacing is stupid. 

I also kind of liked Joe of the Claimers as a villain. He was simple and believable as a bad guy, to me.

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Will have to see how the next few episodes go... if it's Negan Negan Negan and his continual "By the power of Greyskull, I have the power"... I think I'm done.  Sad to give up on a show after watching from the start, but if the producers think fans will enjoy this direction, they are sadly wrong, at least as far as this fan is concerned.

Technically, I think that should read "By the power of CrushedSkull, I have the power."

I am not sorry.

• Love 17
6 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

This Talking Dead audience SUCKS. They can't give Steven a standing ovation but scream bloody murder every time Norman coughs?

This episode was garbage and not due to the deaths, it was just slow and plodding and not even the biggest JDM fan could enjoy him monologuing for an hour. And none of it makes any sense, WHY keep them alive? Just take their shit and move on with a your life! Okay so you say he's sadistic, then have him take them and torture them as he sees fit, why give them a chance to formulate a counterattack? It just makes no sense if Negan has any hope to live.

Whatever, show. RIP Glenn, I hoe Steven gets a lot of work after this.

Agreed 100%. Negan is dumb for letting anyone from Rick's group survive. Why let him go back to Alexandria to try to kill Negan?

• Love 2

It would have been more impactful if it was a stone-cold surprise. But the problem is that this is based on a graphic novel that a good number of people are familiar with. Even if one is trying not to read or hear spoilers, the speculation is often tinged with spoilers. The dumpster and Glenn thing started all the spec about his death and this just ended up tying off the knot. If they could have kept it a total surprise, then it would have had more impact (for me). They basically foreshadowed what Neegan would do with the pictures on the wall. There was no surprise for many viewers, even if one doesn't read any spoilers. I said this before but I felt more over the deaths in The Grove episode and Tyrese dying than this. But I also did not know those were going to happen either.  we all knew someone would die, so that led us all to speculate and ponder. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, ghoulina said:

I wish Gareth was still alive so he could eat Negan.

I bet if Gareth was still alive Rick would go to Terminus and tell Gareth there's a huge group of people that he and his people can eat. They'll have a two year supply of food. 

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Boofish said:

I guess I'm in the small minority that feels gutted by this episode and thinks JDM did an outstanding job (second best villian would go to Gareth for me). I think the Governor would have been more effective had more of his people knew what he was. But most of those idiots were in the dark which just made him more of a joke than a villian.

I want to see them get the best of the Saviors and I'm hoping when the people of Alexandria find out what happened the change in the dynamic will make for good TV. They already hate Rick and this is certainly not going to get him voted homecoming king.

Agreed.  I don't really watch with so much self aware cynicism.  I didnt love that there was a cliffhanger but I didn't take it personally or decide that I hated the show and its writers.  I do find that I greatly dislike Negan and all his talking.  He talks too much and what he said isn't particularly compelling and there doesn't seem to be any depth to him.  Just another sadist.

I am upset about the deaths.  Sad to see them go and I will continue watching.

• Love 7