Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The Nap

Much better than the pilot.  The back and forth with the crossing gaurd was great, and I loved her opening voiceover with her allowing her husband to live only because she'd have to deal with the kids by herself.

Did they recast the older daughter?

• Love 8

I was only so so on the first episode with the constant "fattest in Westport" lines. Thank goodness that was dialed way back and this was a great episode, that was so real and funny. The desperately wanting a nap but it being constantly thwarted and being willing to just sleep in the car to get one in, the husband being man-sick, the ungrateful kids, it all worked for me. Loving the friends, though they were what I liked most about the pilot, so that's no surprise that I'm still enjoying them. Loved the pull over on the side of the road and making him work like he would be if he keeps thinking white collar crimes aren't so bad and they even slipped in a line about a dirty sock not being the worst thing he'd be touching if he went to prison.

@Tiger It appears that the eldest daughter was recast after the pilot. Good catch.

• Love 6

I came to the show solely for Katy Mixon who was woefully underused on Mike & Molly.  I was nervous after the pilot but think this was a big step in the right direction. Hope the show continues down this good path, my one request being more time with the morning breakfast friends please.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 6

I'm the odd man out here.  I found this a huge drop in quality from the pilot.  Trite and tired (no pun intended).   It didn't help how contrived all the obstacles were or how flat and dense the husband role was for me here.   I was really hoping after the pilot I was getting a show that would say things we'd rather not hear but still are being said rather than an attempt at making a funny infomercial for women's deodorant.  And Stay at Home Mom Work Too! PSA.  I guess if ABC cancels this it can always find a home on Lifetime or Hallmark channel depending on how much they clean it up.

I do think the voiceovers by Katy need a little work.  Her tone is a little too forced and trying to tell us "this is funny.  right here.  hilarious."  Her anecdotal tone in character with the others is just fine as it is so I'm not sure why the emphasis is put there in a way that makes it seem like the worst classroom mother has reading duty (not in reference to the actual plot point shown tonight).

• Love 1

Ugh I didn't love this episode either.  Is this the same show that the pilot set us up for?  It doesn't seem to follow.  I was expecting a show revolving around a misfit in Westport, but this episode made the series about a tired SAHM and all the things that make her so overworked and underappreciated.  Then with the gushing about how being a SAHM is the most wonderful thing, blah blah blah.  Seriously?  What about the majority of mothers out there who don't have the privilege of being a SAHM and HAVE to work and raise kids?  How are they supposed to feel, like they are failing or at best "less than"?  Oh, and just not having a cleaning person and nanny doesn't make her somehow more relate-able and down to earth to the mothers out there who have to work full time and do all that stuff by themselves.  Cry me a river.  Some "misfit".  Sorry, JMHO.  Suddenly Katie herself is a woman of privilege in this episode, despite the show's efforts to make her look otherwise.   I thought she was supposed to be a more "real" example of a woman raising children than the skinny soccer moms she was being compared to in the pilot.  She doesn't have to work to do that but the syrupy patting herself on her back because she had the luxury of deciding not to work just seemed off the mark for what I had hoped for this show.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 7

See, that's kinda the point. This is showing the life of a stay at home mom. Stay at home moms are making a choice, and there are difficulties with that choice. I wouldn't want to be a stay at home mom; I prefer to work; but that's their choice, if they can afford to make it. It's not us vs them.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, tenativelyyours said:

I guess if ABC cancels this it can always find a home on Lifetime or Hallmark channel depending on how much they clean it up.

ABC's not gonna cancel this. The ratings have been too good.

• Love 2

I'm the odd man out here.  I found this a huge drop in quality from the pilot.  Trite and tired (no pun intended).   It didn't help how contrived all the obstacles were or how flat and dense the husband role was for me here.  

Right there with you. Damn, I want to like this show so bad. I adore Katy Mixon. But this show is just so pedestrian, so unoriginal, so unimaginative, so paint-by-the-numbers. They wrote funnier stuff than this back in the 1950s. And Mixon is so delightfully quirky she's utterly wasted here as a stereotypical frazzled housewife and mother. What are they going for here, a Roseanne clone? Not even that because this family seems much more well off than the blue collar Conners. I just can't relate to any of this. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MaryMitch said:

See, that's kinda the point. This is showing the life of a stay at home mom. Stay at home moms are making a choice, and there are difficulties with that choice. I wouldn't want to be a stay at home mom; I prefer to work; but that's their choice, if they can afford to make it. It's not us vs them.

Yeah but is that what this show is about or is it about a misfit in Westport?  Why set it in Westport and go on about how she is the 2nd fattest woman (which I know for a fact she is far from) if they aren't setting her up to be a misfit instead of a SAHM who is making a choice?  Unless she's a misfit just because she doesn't have a nanny or a cleaning person?  Cry me a river! 

My point is that people of means can forget that it's actually a luxury to have a choice to be a SAHM and by putting her in that position, I think this show is making her look like she is actually more of a person of privilege than a peer to a significant proportion of mothers in their potential audience.  I'm not sure that's what the show really wants to get across about her.  Speaking of what the show wants to get across, I'm having trouble so far understanding what this show wants to be about from the pilot to this week.  What's next week going to be about?  Will she go back to comparing herself to the "mean girls" who are all thinner than she is thus putting herself back on the level of the "average woman"?  It isn't cohesive enough, IMHO.  Plus I don't think it's really that funny.  As flawed as "The Middle" can be I often find Frankie's mothering struggles more "relatable" than this has been so far.

• Love 5

This show is missing the mark for me, too, Snarklepuss.  It's all over the place, jumping from trope to trope.

Several quibbles here so far -- for one, the myth that SAHM means wealthy.  The show hints at that idea, but for many, the choice isn't so much to work or stay home, but whether to even have kids at all.  I was a teacher before my kids were born, and I honestly can't afford to work because daycare is so danged expensive.  I knew that going in, and chose to have kids anyway, but we're far from wealthy.  Her job sounds like it paid pretty well, but a woman choosing to stay home doesn't necessarily indicate anything about the family's finances.  Lazy sitcom writing uses SAHM as some kind of shorthand for "privileged woman who spends all day at the gym." 

Ditto for them being renters.   Whenever a home goes up for rent in my neighborhood, it's generally about double my monthly mortgage.  Of course the tenant doesn't have to come up with a down payment or pay for most repairs, but on a monthly basis, it's waaaay pricey!  We're supposed to think they're poor because they "only" rent that huge, gorgeous house?  And as others have posted, they don't have a cleaning lady?

And finally, while the interactions with the crossing guard were funny, what was the the point of that?  She's too tired and too busy because she doesn't have a cleaning lady, and can't be bothered to actually park her van?  I know we were supposed to think she's real and commiserate with her, but IMO, she came off as an entitled snot.  It didn't jive with the idea that her family moved to that particular school district for the daughter's programs, and then she can't be bothered to even fill out the vaccination forms.

• Love 7

I agree, pixie chicken.  I was on the fence about this show to begin with, gave it 2 episodes and I'm out.  I just don't find her particularly "real" or even likeable.  She comes across as entitled and judgemental.  I don't think they have made the case that the other sahm's are evil, or maybe I missed it?  I'm a sahm and have come across many and varied "types."  Just because a mom is healthy and has a cleaning lady doesn't mean she is a spoiled jerk or unreal, any more than a heavy woman who cleans her own house is automatically a sweetheart.  

• Love 5

I gave it 2 episodes but I'm out too.  The husband was mis-cast IMO and I'm growing really tired of the fat jokes.   Love Katy MIxon but she's coming across too strong but maybe she's being directed that way. 

• Love 3

I like it. It wasn't terrible.   I mean, obviously I could see a mile off that she wouldn't be getting a nap.   The crossing guard was dumb. They kind of did that bit on Modern family a while back anyway.  Does she sit there all day when school has already started? That is what I was thinking about.  Also, if the nurse could call the dr to confirm those were not the actual vaccination dates, why didn't she just do that originally? But other than that, it was not bad.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Pixie Chicken said:

Several quibbles here so far -- for one, the myth that SAHM means wealthy.  The show hints at that idea, but for many, the choice isn't so much to work or stay home, but whether to even have kids at all.  I was a teacher before my kids were born, and I honestly can't afford to work because daycare is so danged expensive.  I knew that going in, and chose to have kids anyway, but we're far from wealthy.  Her job sounds like it paid pretty well, but a woman choosing to stay home doesn't necessarily indicate anything about the family's finances.  Lazy sitcom writing uses SAHM as some kind of shorthand for "privileged woman who spends all day at the gym."

Actually you're right, but not being able to afford to work because daycare is so expensive makes it not really the same kind of choice to stay at home, at least not the same kind of free choice Katie made in this episode.  The show made it look like her choice to stay home with the kids was because she felt it was "more important" or "worthwhile" than the extra money or being able to talk to adults all day.  What also irked me about that message is that it felt like yet another example of subtle (or blatant) TV moralizing about what is more appropriate for women to choose and why, which gets my back up in all kinds of ways.  I have been watching such moralizing on TV for decades, but this is 2016, not 1976.  Heck, even back then there were shows that would not have done that.

• Love 1

I agree about the vaccination records, if the nurse could call, why wouldn't she do that in the first place. However, legally, they can't tell her squat. The other nitpick is that school nurses aren't going to be chasing down parents the minute their kids vaccines go out of date. 

I liked the pilot. This second episode was a let down. I don't understand why the lead was being such a bitch about parking the family vehicle. 

• Love 4

I did laugh at the nurse's name, Nurse Chapel. (Big Star Trek fan here.)

Otherwise, I thought this was a big letdown compared to the pilot. The pilot made me laugh, but this one, nah. Like another poster said, it was just so pedestrian and unoriginal. Oh, she couldn't get a nap--no mother, working or not, gets to take a nap. I've been a SAHM and a working mom and both are HARD. Maybe I'm too close to the whole thing and that's why I didn't find it funny. I too felt there was some moralizing about how the best moms are the ones who are there for their kids after school.  Some people work and are there for their kids after school too! And some people put their kids in after school care, which is fine too and is what I did, and I think my kids were better off for it. Bleh, the whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way.

I actually thought the not parking her car thing was amusing, because I never want to park my car either, and I never know if it's okay to just leave it for a minute if I'm at the school in the middle of the day and I'm just dropping something off. There's never a crossing guard there though.

• Love 2

I really don't think the show was intending to moralize about SAHMs. It's just that if the main character goes to work, there's no show. But she clearly hates everything about her life and every other mother in the community, so they had to explain to the audience why she chose to stay at home instead of working, especially since the pilot also established they aren't rich. (After they established she went to an elite school and had a great job where they're begging for her to come back even after 12 years, so the audience knows she's smart). That's all it was.

As for the rest, this is like every other attempt at a high-concept sitcom. The pilot is the episode that goes high-concept and the rest is just a normal show. Honestly, I'm not sure how they were going to have a story every week about the main character being fat. Traditional sitcoms don't really lend themselves to that sort of thing. There isn't a lot of story potential there. Like in HIMYM - the pilot (and then every season premiere and finale) was the high concept, and every other episode was just updated Friends. They might do occasional nods to the series concept but everything else will be recycled domcom scripts they've had lying around the studio.

I'm sorry about these quote boxes. I can't get rid of them. 

I have never thought stay at home mom meant a family was wealthy. I was a stay at home mom and wasn't wealthy by any means. I just chose to make sacrifices so I could be home to raise my kids.  It can be done even if a person isn't wealthy.  I knew that jobs would always be there but my kids would only be little once so I scrimped and sacrificed so I could be the one to raise them.  They're grown now and their favorite childhood memories are of the times we had at home so it was totally worth it to me.  

On 10/19/2016 at 7:32 AM, Snarklepuss said:

On 10/19/2016 at 7:32 AM, Snarklepuss said:
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Tetraneutron said:

I really don't think the show was intending to moralize about SAHMs. It's just that if the main character goes to work, there's no show. But she clearly hates everything about her life and every other mother in the community, so they had to explain to the audience why she chose to stay at home instead of working, especially since the pilot also established they aren't rich. (After they established she went to an elite school and had a great job where they're begging for her to come back even after 12 years, so the audience knows she's smart). That's all it was.

A house in the ballpark of the one they live in in Westport costs between $5,000 and $6,000 a month to rent.  Even the dumpiest raised ranch there costs over $3,000 a month to rent.  If it's that easy for her to decide not to work I have a hard time believing they wouldn't have to be damn near close to rich if not rich to afford to live in such a nice house there in the first place.  There are just all kinds of reasons this show doesn't hold water for me.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

A house in the ballpark of the one they live in in Westport costs between $5,000 and $6,000 a month to rent.  Even the dumpiest raised ranch there costs over $3,000 a month to rent.  If it's that easy for her to decide not to work I have a hard time believing they wouldn't have to be damn near close to rich if not rich to afford to live in such a nice house there in the first place.  There are just all kinds of reasons this show doesn't hold water for me.

I took it as them disclosing they are renters that they are not rich by the standards of where the show is set. In the majority of places if you could afford that kind of rent you would probably be considered well off. Having been a working Mom, stay-at-home Mom and now I do a combo of both I know for myself deciding not to work outside the home was not about money. I think many choose for reasons like a child that needs special care and attention. And it seems like her youngest on this show is falling into that area. 

As with many shows I do see inconsistencies, but I am liking it enough to give it a couple more viewings.

• Love 1

Several people are SAHM because they have too. It's not necessarily a choice. Childcare is so expensive that it often isn't financially feasible to work. Also, sacrifices are made. 

I have days like that. That crap does happen when all I want is a damn nap. I can love being a SAHM and also think it sucks too. I hate hate that many people feel like SAHM don't have a right to complain because they're SAHM. It doesn't mean I hate everything about my life. 

Also, I do still get comments when people ask what I do such as must be nice not to work. Or oh you get to do what you want. I actually had someone ask me if I just ate ice cream all day and sat on the couch. Or why do I need a break? 

• Love 7

Ugh, @Court, people are so clueless. I liked this episode more than the pilot because the plot didn't revolve around weight.  I did really like the part where she stopped the car and was so infuriated when her son was being so rude and told her she "didn't even have a job." That was completely out of line and that kid needed a reality check. It reminded me of when I was telling my daughter to pick up her room and she said, "Just let the cleaning ladies do it!" I set her straight immediately and told her that they are not our indentured servants, there to pick up crap that we've dropped behind us, but people who have a job to do, and that it would be rude and inconsiderate of us to just leave our stuff strewn all over the place and in their way.

• Love 5

I'm a SAHM,  and I was looking forward to watching this show.  I think they are totally missing the mark.  This show could be so much better!  I think the husband is miscast and I think the wife is just too forced.  I think everything is too over the top. The crossing guard,  the nurse about vaccinations,  etc. I think they are cramming too much into each episode. I'd rather see the mom exhausted in the morning with no make up on taking her kids to school in her pajamas thinking she's going to come right back home and go back to bed. Then she realizes her son forgot his lunch. Does she go into the school wearing her pajamas, etc? Does she go home and change and then go back to drop off his lunch? (I've done both). There could be a whole episode centered around one night that she's just getting woken up time and time again by the kids, her husband, whatever. Or an entire episode just about the drop off/pick line or helping the kids with their homework/school projects or the non stop driving/scheduling of the after school activities. 

On the plus side,  I do like her "breakfast buddies." 

• Love 2

I caught this show by accident tonight and liked it enough to give it a second chance.  Lots of early episodes of some of my favourite shows could have used some work and I got enough laughs to feel this one is a little quirky and worth trying out.  I think my favourite thing though was that they needed the vaccination records and this was treated as just a normal thing - no jokes or moralizing about whether kids should even get vaccinated at all.  I was a little afraid they'd go there and I'm glad they didn't.

• Love 4

I'm really on the fence about this show. I loved Katy Mixon in Mike and Molly, but I don't think she's found her footing here yet. I've liked the guy who plays the husband, but he sure was an a-hole in this episode. I adore little Anna-Kat, with her braids and red cowboy boots. The other kids I've barely noticed, I'm sure I couldn't pick them out of a lineup.

I would think that desperate tiredness would have gone away by the time the kids are all in school full days.

• Love 3

Yeah that was the part I wasn't buying.  They made the case that she had an interrupted night which was fair enough for needing a nap on this one day but the way the show was written made it sound like she was always being woken up at night by her kids.  If they wanted to go there they should have made the kids younger.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

No topic for the 3rd episode, so I'll just post here ... I'm out.  The mom just isn't likable and it isn't funny.  I couldn't even get through the entire episode.

(I will say that I enjoy the son and the younger daughter in small doses.)

Yeah, no topic up is a bad sign.  I really wanted to like it and I'll keep watching it as long as there's nothing else to do.  But one day I'll miss it and it will be forgotten quickly.  not must see TV at all. I love Katy Mixon and was hoping for more.   I can't put my finger on what is missing.

It's too sappy, and it's too generic. It seems like there has to always be some syrupy moment when the Mom comes to realize the value of her children and get all sappy about it. The premise just isn't that interesting and the writing isn't very funny. 

What's interesting is that I had just finished watching the new Matt LeBlanc sitcom Man with a Plan (that show doesn't have a forum either - ouch); it was pretty generic too, but a little better than this show. While I was watching that I found myself wishing they had cast Katy Mixon as Matt's wife over on that show. I could see them playing off each other pretty well, and she would have given that show some much-needed edge.

• Love 1

I actually liked last night's episode more than last week's. Watching her running the race and then hugging her daughter at the end was pretty cute. 

I think Katy is putting on some kind of accent but I'm not sure what it is.

• Love 2