Type keyword(s) to search

Donald John Trump: 2016 President-Elect

Well this is just more scariness, however predictable. A CNN discussion with Trump supporters this morning. Alysin Camerota can't even believe it.

"Google it; you can find it on Facebook."

Yeah.  The election in a nutshell, right there.

I like when Camerota finally just puts her hand to her forehead and gives the WTF? look.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

Well this is just more scariness, however predictable. A CNN discussion with Trump supporters this morning. Alysin Camerota can't even believe it.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/12/01/cnn-anchor-stunned-trump-supporter-newday.cnn

I'm telling you, social media is making people dumber. Nonsense ideas and fake stories have been around for years and years, but they used to be confined to quiet corners of the internet or on that one show with that one blathering guy that you had to go out of your way to see. Now, thanks to people on your social media network, they appear before your eyes whether you wanted to learn about it or not, and the more widely the news is spread and discussed the more "believable" it becomes -- and the less likely you'll stop to actually consider its viability.

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I find John Scalzi oftentimes annoying; I stopped following his blog a while ago, but I think this is right on the mark:

Three Weeks In

What are the take-home main points of the article? (cant open it ) TIA.

Edited by ari333
23 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

Thanks for the clarification, callmebetty. It makes me able to tolerate a tiny bit more, mainly since at least Jill Stein raised the money for the recount in WI, MI and PA, but still...

Its hard to know for sure whether those that voted 3rd party would have otherwise voted for Hillary, but in so many states, if even half of those 3rd party votes when to Hillary, she would have won.  So I DGAF who Sarandon actually voted for, but her campaigning contributed bigly to us having president drumpf.

So, I add Sarandon to the list of actors that I will not pay money to see any movie she's in.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 15

Tubby is starting out on his Thank You tour.  Barf.  At some point he's going to be in Cincinnati, which is about a 1.5 to 2 hours away.  If I thought he'd see a protest sign I was holding, I'd take off work and go.  But I'm sure they're shielding Tubby away from anything negative, as he's got such thin skin.  He's like a toddler who has to be pacified and happy 24/7.

Tubby is so going to get all the money he can, grabbing it with his tiny little orange hands.  His appointees will do the same while the majority of the country goes to hell in a handbasket.  Wait until some of those who voted for him have the government programs they use and depend upon slashed.  Maybe that's the wake up call they need to face reality and FACTS, not fake social media news.

• Love 2

Tubby ruins everything, even the funny stuff. Apparently his conversation with Pakistan (a nuclear power on the most dangerous border in the world) has a disturbing side (And we'd better get used to it, World!).  From HuffPo:

"The Pakistani government on Wednesday released a description of a phone call between Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and U.S. President-elect Donald Trump that gave global media and Trump-watchers a lot to chuckle about.  The combination of Trumpiness and Pakistani government grammar is irresistible. ...But there’s a darker aspect to this little episode.

Pakistani experts were quick to note that Islamabad’s decision to release a transcript that differed from Trump’s version essentially amounted to a cardinal sin in the age of Trump: enabling an attack on the future president’s ego. ...

Wednesday’s press release illustrates how bad the rot has gotten. It also shows how much Pakistan’s future remains dependent on a military corps that has fostered the growth of Islamist militancy across Pakistan, Afghanistan and other parts of the region; deliberately worsened sectarian and ethnic divides in the country; and kept the country fixated on external threats, particularly traditional rival India, rather than internal progress.

...The president-elect’s approach to the diplomatic drama offers little relief. ...It’s puzzling that the statements suggest Trump is keen to connect with Sharif, a relatively low-profile prime minister whose administration has had little real impact. That raises the question of whether the inexperienced president-elect may have believed he was speaking with recently retired army chief Gen. Raheel Sharif, a towering figure who has many fans in the U.S. military.

But what’s especially troubling here is that Trump, who has not been consulting the U.S. diplomatic or intelligence communities before talking to foreign leaders, may not be aware of the impact of what he’s doing. Indians are already angry that Trump appeared to promise to visit Pakistan, and New Delhi is particularly nervous about U.S.-Pakistan ties right now because of high-profile attacks on Indian soldiers that it sees as enabled by Pakistan.

...it’s unclear whether he has given real thought to how to manage the region’s tensions ― or whether he will simply attempt to muddle through with calls like this one.

His pick for national security adviser, Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn, wants to punish Pakistan for its links to radical militancy. One Trump backer of Indian origin recently said the incoming administration might go so far as to label Pakistan a state sponsor of terror. But some South Asia experts warn that such extreme steps could anger the Pakistanis and simply worsen the problem.

Policy debate and clarity, so far missing from the Trump transition, are key to making moments like this strange tango with a nuclear-armed frenemy less nerve-wracking.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-pakistan_us_584025eae4b0c68e047f02e4

• Love 3
1 hour ago, stillshimpy said:

Oh gods and monsters, please don't let this be real.  Is it real? 

Fuuuuucccccckkkkkk.  He's making George W. Bush look like an elocution expert and wordsmith. 

When Bush won, I could barely watch his speeches because he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed but Trump is so much worse -- he's a mental midget who reads a teleprompter like a kid reciting a book report. I'm going to need a steady dose of Colbert, Oliver, Noah, etc. to get through this embarrassing moment in U.S. history. Conan has a funny bit about Trump calling Obama for advice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW1XstE6tio

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:

I'm telling you, social media is making people dumber. Nonsense ideas and fake stories have been around for years and years, but they used to be confined to quiet corners of the internet or on that one show with that one blathering guy that you had to go out of your way to see. Now, thanks to people on your social media network, they appear before your eyes whether you wanted to learn about it or not, and the more widely the news is spread and discussed the more "believable" it becomes -- and the less likely you'll stop to actually consider its viability.

I agree that social media has become a major influence in many people's lives.  But the thing that gets me is that so many don't have the critical thinking skills, the intellectual curiosity, the fucking common sense to investigate the viability of so many nonsensical claims.  Come on, the President publicly tells people to vote illegally.  Really people?  

Trump voters may not be total morons but many are happy to stick with whatever fits their concerns and validates their beliefs.  And one might say that we all do that.  But if I'm going to preach from the mount, if I'm going to pass along vital information, if I'm going to put my ass on the line spouting rhetoric and trying to justify my words and actions or persuade others to join my team, I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure my words are the truth and not some moronic conspiracy theory or end point of a telephone game.  It's lazy not to confirm facts and a danger to everyone if you're making decisions based on fake news and rumor. The truth is not negotiable or open to interpretation in order to justify your wanted results.  Lazy people piss me off.  Stupid, lazy people often scare the shit out of me.

Edited by onthebrink03
  • Love 16

Poll: Only 1 in 4 Americans want Obamacare repealed. Another 17% or so just want it to be scaled back somewhat, and a full half would like the law to stay on as is or with some expansions.

The most important part: The share of Republicans who want it gone has dropped from 69% in October to just 52% after the election. Theories: (1) It was fun to rail against Obamacare when everyone thought it wasn't going anywhere, but now that it's a real possibility they're getting cold feet. (2) People are just now learning, due to the extensive discussions about repealing or not repealing, exactly what Obamacare does and what would be lost by repealing it. Kind of like the folks in the UK who Googled "What is the EU?" after the Brexit vote. Whatever.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 17
6 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

Poll: Only 1 in 4 Americans want Obamacare repealed. Another 17% or so just want it to be scaled back somewhat, and a full half would like the law to stay on as is or with some expansions.

The most important part: The share of Republicans who want it gone has dropped from 69% in October to just 52% after the election. Theories: (1) It was fun to rail against Obamacare when everyone thought it wasn't going anywhere, but now that it's a real possibility they're getting cold feet. (2) People are just now learning, due to the extensive discussions about repealing or not repealing, exactly what Obamacare does and what would be lost by repealing it. Kind of like the folks in the UK who Googled "What is the EU?" after the Brexit vote. Whatever.

The Republican percentage is explained because now that Obama is not going to be president, they don't really hate the law itself anymore. Simple as that.

By the way, I went to my first Democratic party meeting last night and got into a debate with a guy who is absolutely CERTAIN that they will not repeal the ACA. I couldn't believe how sure he was of this, but he says that the insurance companies don't want it repealed and the most the GOP will do is change some minor things while leaving it in place, mostly because of the healthcare lobbyists.

Is this a real possibility? The insurance companies to the rescue? I mean, I know the ACA was a Republican compromise plan originally...

The thing is the Republicans have only had full control of all three branches of government twice before in the last 100 years. Both times they did immense damage- one was before the stock market crash of 1929 (when it was let the free market run absolutely wild) and the other was right after Bush's re-election I believe. We know what happened then of course (but they did not succeed in the plan to privatize Social Security at the time).

People are used to the government programs that they like, and they don't believe that they will ever go away simply because they haven't. Is this another one of those times, despite Republicans being in full control? They have the chance to do what they say they want, but will they really do it if it means throwing millions of people off healthcare? And that's not what the public actually wants, and not what the majority of the voters voted for, given Hillary's win margin? Will they make people suffer for it?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Chicken Wing said:

The body language and facial expressions alone say it all. The woman speaking is leaning forward with that expression that says she thinks she's revealing some great truth to someone who missed it. The dumber the statement the smarter she thinks she is for believing it. Meanwhile AC is clearly trying to focus and listen carefully, she's puzzled, she's asking for clarification, she even corrects the woman on the one thing she says, and finally she just looks horrified at what's coming out of her mouth. She's trying. Just all those many liberal pundits have been trying to understand and say how complex, interesting and nice these folks are when they're voting for this nonsense--haven't seen anything like that on the right, but maybe it's just because I'm not reading right wing sites. All I see on Facebook is claims of Trump supporters being attacked and stuff about stupid liberals. (Nothing actually reacting to things he's done as PE, interestingly--except for praise for the Carrier deal which proves he's totally going to save us.)

47 minutes ago, Padma said:

...it’s unclear whether he has given real thought to how to manage the region’s tensions ― or whether he will simply attempt to muddle through with calls like this one.

I've no doubt that's exactly what he'll do--it's worked until now. He'll just flatter everybody to their face. I totally don't think he knows what he's doing by jumping on the phone with people and saying whatever comes into his head--naturally without talking to anybody first.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Is this a real possibility? The insurance companies to the rescue? I mean, I know the ACA was a Republican compromise plan originally...

Insurance companies are not coming to any rescue.  They want some provisions of Obamacare changed so they can CHARGE more for the insurance people are already paying them, and so they can sell to more people in every state, not just the states that have chosen their plans as options for that state's people.  They are salivating at the thought of privatizing Medicare because that gives them access to more guaranteed income from more people, and more guaranteed money from the government (payroll deductions from employed taxpayers that fund Medicare).

Obamacare (ACA) is not very different from the health care plan Romney put forward, nor from the plan Ryan is putting forward for privatizing Medicare.  I think the Republicans want both ACA (for uninsured) and Medicare (for retired people) to basically be insurance that people buy on an "open" market where the insurers are not regulated so they can jack up prices at will, and can sell across state lines (so people can "shop around" for their plans(SNORT)).  They want the government to provide vouchers (funded by our tax money) for people to use to "help" pay for this insurance, rather than government behind the scenes subsidizing those costs (Medicare) or the government giving tax credits for purchases (Obamacare).

Obamacare was a compromise in that it is essentially private insurance (which Republicans LOVE) instead of being rolled into Medicare, or being run by the government like Medicare, and forced insurers to insure for pre-existing conditions and to allow parents to carry their "kids" on their insurance up to the age of 26.

Finally, Medicare is not free.  Retirees have to pay a monthly premium for Medicare, plus a monthly premium for drug coverage, plus an additional monthly premium for Supplemental insurance to cover what Medicare does not (if they can afford Supplemental, many on fixed incomes (Social Security) cannot do that.  In addition to all those premiums, insurers get funding from paryroll tax deductions. 

Essentially, insurance companies want bigger pieces of the pie with fewer regulations preventing them from raising rates willy nilly, or preventing them from rejecting people for pre-existing conditions.  They aren't rescuing a damn thing.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 13

And while I'm ranting...WHO is paying for Trump's "thank you" tour?  Please tell me it is not taxpayer money (though obviously, taxpayer money has to pay for Secret Service, SS flights, etc.).  And tax money has to pay for each state to provide police security. 

I hope he gets nowhere near my state because we are BROKE (thanks Republican governor).  My state did not vote Trump, so maybe he'll stay away.

• Love 6

I hope people are going to be protesting him all over this ridiculous "victory" tour- particularly with signs about him being the biggest popular vote loser president-elect in history. He hates that and it's the truth.

He is NOT the people's choice. Remind him constantly. The people rejected him. The system chose him.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

She's also been defensive about taking any blame since her vote didn't change her blue state etc., but others pointed out that she still went on tv encouraging other people to do that.

And we all know if Sanders had won she would be taking some credit but all of a sudden her voice carries no weight, had no effect? Sure must be nice to be a millionaire in a blue state, to live securely and comfortably under the protection of the very party she tried to throw under the bus.

Edited by slf
  • Love 10
On 11/30/2016 at 4:42 AM, Chicken Wing said:

Thank you, SyracuseMug, for sharing your perspective. If more Trump supporters were as articulate and reasonable as you are in your logic, my blood pressure wouldn't be as high as it is now. :) I hope you continue to share your opinions. It would be a great change of pace to be able to dialogue with someone whose argument goes beyond "He won, get over it."

I appreciate your kind words, and I thank you in turn along with everyone else who responded. The feedback was helpful, and I may post again later with additional thoughts after a bit more reflection. 

I’ve learned a lot from reading this thread, and I expect that I’ll continue to do so. Some of the arguments have been persuasive. That’s why I’ve always found value in seeking out opposing points of view. After a time, they may even become a little less contrary.

• Love 11
41 minutes ago, izabella said:

And while I'm ranting...WHO is paying for Trump's "thank you" tour?  Please tell me it is not taxpayer money (though obviously, taxpayer money has to pay for Secret Service, SS flights, etc.).  And tax money has to pay for each state to provide police security. 

Seriously. Because you KNOW that we are. I still remember it was something like $450,000 for his 757 to fly back to Trump Tower every night so he could sleep in his same bed. Cause Tubby couldn't stay overnight somewhere when he's speaking nearby tomorrow! No inconveniences for our Tubby!!!  He didn't charge the whole thing to the U.S. govt, just the part for carrying the SS agents.  No idea how much he's charging now that its carrying the PEOTUS (abbreviated to POS).  I'm guessing "all of it".

$1 million a day to NYC for him to stay at Trump Tower, plus the special arrangements to secure everyone there.  I'll bet the rentals etc. for this "victory/rub-it-in-your-face" tour is being picked up by taxpayers as well.  What kind of sadist takes a "victory tour" when over half the country didn't vote for you???  Imagine Hillary doing something like that. Or Obama after beating McCain.

I really want to know. How much is our Tubby POS costing us during the transition???

Edited by Padma
  • Love 10
37 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

Wait until some of those who voted for him have the government programs they use and depend upon slashed.  Maybe that's the wake up call they need to face reality and FACTS, not fake social media news.

I doubt they'll put two and two together. It will be the "libtards" fault or O'Bama's fault (spelling intentional) 

7 minutes ago, onthebrink03 said:

Trump voters may not be total morons but they're happy to stick with whatever fits their concerns and validates their beliefs. 

One of the women I know who voted for him doesn't care about anything going on. All she cares about is that he's going to outlaw abortion. I lost my shit.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, theredhead77 said:

I doubt they'll put two and two together. It will be the "libtards" fault or O'Bama's fault (spelling intentional) 

One of the women I know who voted for him doesn't care about anything going on. All she cares about is that he's going to outlaw abortion. I lost my shit.

And if that doesn't happen, what is she going to do? 

In the end it won't matter who they blame for it happening because it will have happened and they will suffer the consequences like the rest of us. 

I only hope that enough will wake up and realize the truth so that better politicians will be voted in.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Oh my god, the internalized misogyny in America could make Gaea weep. 

I just can't even.  The thing is, they don't care about what happens to those babies.   They just don't.  They want women to be punished for having sex.  

• Love 13
4 hours ago, ari333 said:

Case of lube made me laugh out loud for real. Thank you for that.AND let's DO IT!

I truly hate tubby rump. I cant recall ever hating any politician before... ever... I cannot stand to look at him

My hatred is so deep and passionate, I wake up every morning now and keep hoping throughout the day and night that maybe, please god, somebody'll blow his head off. I've never wished anything like that about any other figure in or out of politics. As much as I loathed Shrub, I never felt like that about him. The only other politician I feel about as much hatred for as I feel for that thing is Mitch McConnell. 

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Toomuchsoap said:

My hatred is so deep and passionate, I wake up every morning now and keep hoping throughout the day and night that maybe, please god, somebody'll blow his head off. I've never wished anything like that about any other figure in or out of politics. As much as I loathed Shrub, I never felt like that about him. The only other politician I feel about as much hatred for as I feel for that thing is Mitch McConnell. 

I'm sure there are people in Illinois who feel that way about Michael Madigan . 

Paul Ryan is getting up there for me. I want him to suffer someday the way he's going to make other people suffer.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

I believe she encouraged people to be nice to Trump voters with a hug fest and try to work with Trump. And Debra Messing called her out on it. (Oh, NOW you want to compromise?) Apparently the revolution doesn't look so good now.

She's also been defensive about taking any blame since her vote didn't change her blue state etc., but others pointed out that she still went on tv encouraging other people to do that.

Yeah, I saw a retweet that Olbermann sent right after the infestation from Tim Robbins, who was replying to Sarandon's tweet about playing nice with the tRump voters or some such drivel. TR basically called her delusional. She must've been something to live with back in the day.

• Love 8

I feel the anger so much, too, but advise some deletions above. Now that we're soon going to be living in Tubby's quasi (?) police state--and all these bots will be scanning the internet for key words and having the ability to access private computers--one probably can't be too careful. :(  ("Oh brave new world, that has such people in it.")

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Toomuchsoap said:

I've never wished anything like that about any other figure in or out of politics.

Do you want to feel better about that?  A good friend of mine, who volunteers weekly for the Red Cross and goes on Missions, yes, church missions to Nicaragua, as well as having one of her labs trained as a touch therapy dog, which she takes to the children's cancer ward every week said basically the exact same thing to me.  She just followed it up with "may God forgive me for thinking it."    

I personally wished for a very selective meteorite to take out the fucking lot of them.  It's not literal.  I don't want anyone to actually die, or be smooshed, or erased like something in Who Killed Roger Rabbit, I just want us all to be saved from this. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 6

interesting article :

Donald Trump’s Conflict Of Interest That No One’s Talking About

It's about the recent overtime rule, changing the salary requirement for being exempt form overtime, and how this will have an impact on Trump's companies:

To understand the conflict in clear terms, imagine an assistant groundskeeper at a golf course that may or may not be owned by the Trump Organization. Our hypothetical employee works on salary, earning something in the low $40,000s. He likes his job, but it’s brutal in the busy winter season (we’re in Florida), and he’s often putting in 60-hour weeks to keep the course in shape. Under the old rules, he doesn’t get paid any overtime for those extra 20 hours he works in the high season ― all he takes home is his base salary.  

But under the new rules, he’d be eligible for time-and-a-half pay on those additional hours. That leaves his employer with a few options. They can start paying our groundskeeper overtime pay. They can bump up his salary so that it’s above the new threshold of $47,476, thereby making him exempt from the rules. Or they can hire an additional assistant and give her those extra 20 hours, thereby avoiding the time-and-a-half pay on our original worker. But any way they do it, the employer is going to have to pay some amount of money they weren’t paying before.............................................................

........................................................................................

In any case, the ball will very much be in Trump’s court, so long as the rule isn’t blocked altogether by litigation. Perhaps President Trump will set aside his own interests and decide what he thinks is best for the country, whether that’s killing the reforms or preserving them. Just don’t expect him to forget that his family owns a bunch of hotels.

so - will he do what is in the best interests of workers?  or what's in the best interests of employers who will then have to foot the bill for paying people more?    I think we know the answer

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, stillshimpy said:

I personally wished for a very selective meteorite to take out the fucking lot of them. 

It would make no difference.  One swamp is as slimy as the next, and voters vote to put the Congressional and Presidential swamp creatures in the swamp.

• Love 1

I can't remember where I heard/read it but there was something about Trump's pick for HHS, he would like employers to have the right to fire women who use contraception.  I will have to google, cause that can't possibly be accurate, can it?

ETA: http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/11/health-secretary-pick-tom-price-on-abortion-birth-control.html

From the link:

He thinks employers should be allowed to fire workers for using birth control.
Price opposed a 2015 Washington, D.C., nondiscrimination law that would have prevented employers from firing workers for using birth control or having an abortion. 

Edited by SoSueMe
Googled for the facts
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Padma said:

I feel the anger so much, too, but advise some deletions above. Now that we're soon going to be living in Tubby's quasi (?) police state--and all these bots will be scanning the internet for key words and having the ability to access private computers--one probably can't be too careful. :(  ("Oh brave new world, that has such people in it.")

Paul Ryan can come talk to me himself if he wants clarification on what I meant. I'd be more than happy to explain it to him over coffee . It doesn't involve anything where someone is dead or maimed.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, izabella said:

It would make no difference.  One swamp is as slimy as the next, and voters vote to put the Congressional and Presidential swamp creatures in the swamp.

There's a brilliant article by Ian Millheiser on Thinkprogress.org called "The Democrats Are Going to Botch the Resistance" against tRump. I strongly urge all to read it. Being afraid and self-censorship will be counterproductive in the all out war that will waged on the country's democratic foundations. This is basically a war from here on out. 

ETA: Here's the link to the article

https://thinkprogress.org/democrats-will-botch-the-resistance-against-trump-1f8c211c7b68#.1i9wiso6u

Edited by Toomuchsoap
Provided a link to article
  • Love 1

I'm still laughing over 54030: Every Second Sucks  one. 

3 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

Paul Ryan can come talk to me himself if he wants clarification on what I meant. I'd be more than happy to explain it to him over coffee . It doesn't involve anything where someone is dead or maimed.

Well, I love you.  I thought you should know. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ari333 said:

What are the take-home main points of the article? (cant open it ) TIA.

Basically, Trump's a liar and it's only going to get worse for a while, with voter restrictions increasing because Trump is a "thin-skinned narcissist and sexist." 

Bad choices for cabinet posts, which will lead to the most corrupt and incompetent administration in history.

That a potential ray of hope is that given our 240-year history of democracy, we will most likely not devolve into an autocracy, although Trump has already done a lot of damage to our democratic processes and will not be constrained by restrictions, at least at first. However, given that Trump would see a terrorist attack on one of his properties as the same as an attack on the country, it could lead to the curtailment of civil liberties.

It's really worth a full read if you can, because I didn't do it justice.

1 HOUR AGO, STILLSHIMPY SAID:

Oh my god, the internalized misogyny in America could make Gaea weep. 

I just can't even.  The thing is, they don't care about what happens to those babies.   They just don't.  They want women to be punished for having sex.

Why does a woman who is opposed to abortion have "internalized misogyny"? She is entitled to her opinion and her beliefs. I'm a homosexual who finds most of the rhetoric from the gay "community" to be intolerant and non-inclusive (including the acceptable list of terms from the Thought Police GLAAD.  I don't suffer from "internalized homophobia" because I have issues with the way most gay issues are presented. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Why does a woman who is opposed to abortion have "internalized misogyny"?

Because they are willing to elect a racist, misogynistic, inexperienced, vulgarian asshole in order to have abortion repealed.   The math does itself.  

Also, they want to have dominion over bodies that are not their own, which is another clue.   

Also, because you know, I have about a thousand of these and can just keep going, but I'll attempt to limit myself to three.  If an individual has a deeply held belief that abortion is wrong, then by all means, don't have an abortion.  Ever.   The sanctity of that belief is completely undamaged in that an individual's belief system is their own and is not the basis for law.  Seeking to make other women's choices for them is actually not valuing that person as someone with autonomy and agency.  That's a form of internalized misogyny. 

And the way that I know they do not care about the actual babies is that ever day living infants are horrifically murdered, left to starve, die of malnutrition, neglect, and all manner of cruelty.   If the babies were the things they cared about, the streets would be clogged with the well-meaning trying to help the actual babies. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 23

Just came across a very nice article via the Guardian about Drumpf.

1 hour ago, windsprints said:

Oh boy. We can all bet that there's something going on with the vote count there. Especially since he went after DeVos to be a part of his cabinet. That just smells to high heaven.

@whoever combined my post: Thanks! I hate this new quoting system. It's partially why I've been avoiding copying and pasting quotes as I figured it would mess up the coding and/or the post itself.

• Love 7

And I would also like to point out that I became pregnant at 22, unexpectedly, and at the time that was not great news.  But I had a choice and I made that choice....and I love my son to this day and as difficult as it was, I had him because I wanted to have him and I knew that it was my choice.  And I would never, ever, EVER attempt to FORCE someone to have a child.  They are too fragile.  They are developing people.  They need to be wanted to have a shot in life. 

And beyond that, women are not simply incubators. 

Now in a complete aside, I keep seeing Bastet's screenname, and meaning to say:  Good to see your name again.  It has been ages since we were commenting on the same material.  I missed your perspective. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 21
2 hours ago, izabella said:

I hope he gets nowhere near my state because we are BROKE (thanks Republican governor).  My state did not vote Trump, so maybe he'll stay away.

I think he's containing it to the states he won. Thank God.  That'll keep his ass away from Illinois for now.  

1 hour ago, Toomuchsoap said:

I can't wish for his death, too much Catholic guilt in that, but I can wish that he finally gets busted for some of his various crimes and gets swept out of the Oval Office and into a nice cell.  Mitch can join him.  So can Paul Ryan.  I loathe all three of them equally.  

Hey, when Emperor Trump makes his way to imprisoning people who posted mean things about him on the internet, I hope we all end up in the same cell block.  (And, hopefully, it will be adjacent to the comedy cell block, housing Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Seth Myers, Sam Bee, and Alec Baldwin.)

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

can't wish for his death, too much Catholic guilt in that, but I can wish that he finally gets busted for some of his various crimes and gets swept out of the Oval Office and into a nice cell.  Mitch can join him.  So can Paul Ryan.  I loathe all three of them equally.  

Ah yes, the Unholy Trinity.  I too suffer from "can't wish ill, that would be wrong" so I usually stick to fictional ways of wishing that someone was simply gone from the world stage.  I'm easy,though, if someone has the etch-a-sketch from the gods or something, shake that sucker now and just cause them to ....disperse permanently. 

9 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

I'm feeling the need to be purely superficial: who, besides Nugent, would play at any of this turd's inauguration festivities? What fashion designer would want to dress Melanoma?

I'm guessing a Russian designer.   A really nervous, wild-eyed, hoping for the safety of his or her family, designer of Russian descent with family still living in the Homeland.  

Huckabee plays ....something.  He'll probably be there.  

• Love 6