Type keyword(s) to search

Kevin: Justin Hartley

atomationage
  • Start Topic

I thought he looked uncomfortable and like he couldn't wait for it to be over. Could almost see him counting.

I think what it is about the shirt coming off is that it is only seen as a problem if the show or whatever is not popular enough or seen by enough people, because then he isn't getting famous and becoming a superstar. If soaps were getting millions of viewers and magazine covers, talk show invitations, etc. he never would have said anything about it. If he has to do it on TIU it will be "brilliant"...."art." It was never really about quality like he claimed. He just wanted to diss the other shows and was upset he wasn't an A-list celeb. So this is pretty hypocritical.

Hard to take him seriously.

Edited by HeyThere83
Should have quoted methodwriter
  • Love 1

I think it's clear he'll use whatever assets he has, including his abs, to make it, which I don't have a problem with.  I think if he really didn't want to be cast for his abs, there's an easy solution to that-- lose the 'killer abs' regimen.  But then again if he likes his body that way, should he need to?  

People want pretty on their tvs and I'm guilty of that, too.  If Justin looked like Patton Oswalt, he wouldn't be getting the roles he does, or probably any outside the victim of the week on crime procedurals.  Not that I have any problem with his acting but there are only so many 'average looking man' roles out there.

I think he's hot stuff AND I'm glad he'll get a shot at doing some outright comedy, which I don't think he's done before. Probably why he's taking the role. Many years back he was the increasingly bright spot in the circling-the-drain mess that was the latter seasons of Smallville, bringing humor and charm. Bad Moms was better than I expected from the trailers, the three leading ladies are all great, and I'll look forward to checking this out.

• Love 6

I saw Justin on tv on Saturday night.  He was at Madison Square Garden for the Rangers-Habs game.  The were showing celebrities in the crowd- Michael J Fox, Debra Messing, and one other that I can't remember now. He was caught on camera near Debra Messing but they didn't identify him.

I live in Louisville, and it's Kentucky Derby time here. We attract mostly B or C list celebs this time of year, tho there's an occasional A lister. This year, the very BIGGEST name is Justin's, who is gonna ride in the Pegasus Parade and presumably go to the big parties and the actual race. Everyone else is of the reality-show ilk, and I don't care at all. But I would not mind seeing Justin's pretty face around town.

• Love 4

Justin Hartley Co-Hosted with Hoda Kotb this morning on the 4th hour of "TODAY".  I thought he did a good job, seemed comfortable interviewing guests, self-deprecating humor, it was fun to see him in a different role.  He did say the 1st episode of Season 2 would give some answers to Jack's death.

• Love 4

I don't think that every character on the show has to be someone that the audience (or most of the audience) becomes emotionally invested in. The Kevin character and his narcissism grates on me, more so because not too long ago a friend from childhood dropped in on me and while I was happy to see him at first it quickly became apparent that he had become totally self-absorbed and self-pitying. After a few days I just wanted him gone. Yes, he wouldn’t leave plus he didn’t have a job. Kevin brings him to mind. But even if characters are annoying or even grating it doesn’t mean they aren’t an integral part of the overall picture. I think the writers have made some mistakes. IMO the most appalling one, mentioned in the article and by others upthread, was when he walked out on the opening of the play to be with his brother. It was meant to be a family bonding moment, but I don’t think it went over that way with a lot of the audience including me. I wish they would flesh out more of his relationship with his sister Kate and how they grew up together. We saw the bit about the birthday parties last season but they could do more.

I enjoyed watching Justin Hartley in “A Manny Splendored Thing”. In the end I think it’s going too far to say that a show involving three siblings should go down to having only two, but it’s not necessary that present day Kevin become someone the audience adores.

• Love 1

It certainly wasn't necessary to give Kevin a childhood sweetheart and "soul mate", whatever you want to call it. The one thing I really liked about Kevin/Sloane was that it seemed to be something that developing naturally, and then they abruptly dropped all of that in favor or some long-lost childhood soulmate.

No one's allowed to just have a fun, casual relationship or even just casually date people. It has to be something epic, with grand gestures and a Romantic Comedy speech.

I like Alexandra Breckenridge and you can tell she's trying hard to make her character work with what she has, but ugh,

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7

Me three, and I just watched it again. I'd forgotten that it begins with Uncle Kevin's coming to his niece's room to apologize for making a crack about death, that scared Annie. We've now seen more of this side of Uncle Kevin, throughout his life. His jokes are observations pushed to the extreme: sharp, observant, gimlet-eyed and undeceived, like a film noir detective. "Dad's trying to keep Kate from feeling too fat, and you're trying to keep Randall from feeling too adopted. Meanwhile, where's Kevin? Oh I know: Kevin's dead."  (To me, this is not so different from Kevin's "Randall's finally got the chance to make his move," as Randall shares popcorn solicitously with their mother in a movie theater on the night Kevin's father moved out of the house after weeks of silent fighting with the mother who'd left town the night before, and her return at dawn -- so now she's going to be the only one we live with? -- because things somehow got worse, overnight.) Or, paraphrasing: "Dad. Buy a clue. I can get all the candy I want. Kate can't. Not from anyone but you." 

Kevin really is the high school quarterback who -- when his parents know he's in his room with the door locked, not doing his homework -- is drawing, not playing video games. He has an actor's ability to take a character and twist the context 45 degrees in either direction, and see what that looks like. What happens when the screws are tightened, or what happens when you break the seal.

What's intriguing about the flashbacks to son-and-brother Kevin during Uncle Kevin's voice-over is that each brief clip resolves a scene we've seen before and thought we got. At the pool, not-dead Jack stands waist-deep and tosses a football to also-not-dead Kevin, all alone in the shallow end. Later, Rebecca sitting at the edge of the pool, near Kate, tosses the ball to Jack, now crouched chest-deep, who lets it bounce off his hands and is immediately attacked by both boys, one over each shoulder. Back home in the fall, we see the family watch the Steelers score or win (it looks unexpected or suspenseful): the first thing the two exuberant boys do is madly swat each other with their Terrible Handtowels. Meanwhile Kate and Jack hug, Rebecca opens her arms and the much-closer Randall embraces her, and Kevin sees...his father look for him and reach out, not turning back to Kate until he sees that Rebecca has reached out too, and Kevin has already jumped into a three-way hug with his mother and brother. 

Some of the images for Kevin's narration aren't Kevin's (the flashforward to Randall after William's death) and other are imagined (Kevin's great-grandfather arriving in the U.S. as an immigrant, carrying a flattened rugby ball in his suitcase). But the memories set in the pool and home in Pittsburgh on two afternoons just before and after he turned ten, are his, and genuine. Kevin knows, whether or not he remembers, that this too was us. Some things don't need a twist.

Like I said in the episode thread, I really like all your observations about this scene. Makes me want to rewatch it again, so I can catch all the little details. I may be in the minority, but Kevin is by far my favourite character. While the painting scene is my favourite of his and the whole show, the scene that actually completely sold me on Kevin was the one in 2x03 when he called Kate to apologize and then got choked up when he explained he couldn't talk about Jack. The way his voice broke when he mentioned their father and how he then was in such a hurry to end the conversation, before he really would end up crying just really got to me. And who can not relate to a situation like that? I think Justin Hartley did a very fine job in that whole scene. I also love how he displays the utter affection Kevin feels for his sister Kate in the way he talks and looks at her. Never fails to make me smile. Their relationship is definitely one of my favourites.

Justin is, IMO, very underrated on this show. Everybody keeps talking about Randall and Jack, but for me it's Kevin who hits me right in the feels most times and given that most times I don't tend to fall for the pretty, seemingly superficial, more lighthearted characters who might also seem to be a bit full of themselves (then again who is not full of themselves on this show?), that says a lot. Before This Is Us I only knew Justin Hartley from Revenge and while I liked his character there, I wasn't overly invested. But I think he does a great job with Kevin, especially if you consider that he does not get those big, epic moments that make him outshine everyone else. Not in the way Jack and Randall get them anyways (or Rebecca in 2x06). Not that I want Kevin to burst out into grand speeches, but I do hope they do something great with his current storyline, as cliche as it might seem so far. I want the writers to really explore his character.

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Saw Justin Hartley in Bad Moms Christmas where he plays a stripper who gets regular ball waxes. It will be difficult to watch him as Kevin from now on, LOL

Yeah, that's why I have zero intention of watching that movie haha

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Saw Justin Hartley in Bad Moms Christmas where he plays a stripper who gets regular ball waxes. It will be difficult to watch him as Kevin from now on, LOL

For all we know, Kevin might also get regular ball waxes. ;)

• Love 1
On 11/12/2017 at 4:28 PM, ClareWalks said:

I saw it today. Came over here to say I liked Justin Hartley much more in Bad Moms than I do on This Is Us. I thought he had great comedic timing and even though it wasn't like, the Oscar-worthy material that he was working with, he sold it and really, it was better acting than I've seen on This Is Us. I just don't think he does drama well. Comedy is his strong suit.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

I saw it today. Came over here to say I liked Justin Hartley much more in Bad Moms than I do on This Is Us. I thought he had great comedic timing and even though it wasn't like, the Oscar-worthy material that he was working with, he sold it and really, it was better acting than I've seen on This Is Us. I just don't think he does drama well. Comedy is his strong suit.

What was hilarious about the character is that he played it like a bashful romantic comedy hero. It really worked.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

What was hilarious about the character is that he played it like a bashful romantic comedy hero. It really worked.

Okay, now I'm actually kind of intrigued. I might have to give this a chance and just block out Kevin Pearson and his misery.

20 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I gotta admit, the ball-waxing scene was strangely romantic. I loved how she ripped off the wax and he just smiled at her serenely and she was clearly thinking "holy shit, this man is a miracle," LOL

3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I gotta admit, the ball-waxing scene was strangely romantic. I loved how she ripped off the wax and he just smiled at her serenely and she was clearly thinking "holy shit, this man is a miracle," LOL

Exactly. They totally played it like a lovey dovey romantic comedy romance, just an r-rated version of the PG Hallmark movie romances.

Justin seems to be making the rounds in the media lately. Good for him. Maybe he'll luck out and get a role in some B action movie or something.

Someone posted this in the Unpopular opinion threads and I thought it was an interesting thought:

Yes. I think part of Kevin's problem with Randall is that Randall isn't Kyle. And Kevin's missing Kyle started before he was told there had ever been a Kyle. It's why he could never explain to Jack, or himself, why he rejects Randall.

Has it ever been confirmed that Kevin knows about Kyle? We know that Randall knows about it, but I don't think either Kate or Kevin know about it, at least canon-wise.

That's a great theory.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Someone posted this in the Unpopular opinion threads and I thought it was an interesting thought:

Has it ever been confirmed that Kevin knows about Kyle? We know that Randall knows about it, but I don't think either Kate or Kevin know about it, at least canon-wise.

That's a great theory.

But they do know. Rebecca talked about Kyle when Kate had the miscarriage. So at the very least Kate knows.

I do find the theory interesting too, but I don't expect the show to actually go that deep. Just like they didn't go that deep into Kevin's self-loathing. They just brought up his feeling of not being enough as it is tied to his addiction.

I don't think they'll go that deep, either, not that it couldn't be interesting.  They've already presented reasons why Kevin resents Randall... Rebecca's favoritism, Randall's intellect and drive and 'specialness' in the family due to his race and being adopted.  I don't think they'll muddy those waters.  

Ron Howard's bit about how they decided the father/son deal was more important than the romance deal in regard's to Kevin's character honestly feels like a parallel to what Kevin went through. His focus on the first half of the series seemed to be very much on finding love (She Who Will Not Be Named, Sloane) and then rekindling his romance with Sophie. Then this show had Kevin finally working through his feelings about his father, which was interesting.

Kevin seems so emotionally stuck as a 17-year old (thank god he did not hook up with the attractive teen girl who reminded him of Sophie) and the show's been pretty consistent about showing that. I guess we're in for Phase 3 Adult Kevin? 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 6

So I've stated watching Smallville  show not seen since high school and a blond Justin Hartley has just come into as Oliver Queen/Green Arrow. Was not expecting see him in this i know well and truly before this is us but hard not see him as Kevin and to take him serious as the green arrow

Yes. I think part of Kevin's problem with Randall is that Randall isn't Kyle. And Kevin's missing Kyle started before he was told there had ever been a Kyle. It's why he could never explain to Jack, or himself, why he rejects Randall.

Am I the only one who's always imagined that Kyle was an identical twin to Kevin? Like I've just always imagined that, especially because the thing that really makes him special to the world is his ridiculous attractiveness, so there would be irony to me in that not being unique. 

• Love 4
On 11/23/2018 at 7:03 PM, bettername2come said:

Am I the only one who's always imagined that Kyle was an identical twin to Kevin? Like I've just always imagined that, especially because the thing that really makes him special to the world is his ridiculous attractiveness, so there would be irony to me in that not being unique. 

Nope.  Same here.  

• Love 1

The character of Kevin has become more interesting to me as he matures.  Justin Hartley is doing a wonderful job with these scenes in Vietnam...he's projecting a quiet strength.  In the 1st season, Kevin was immature & not as interesting to me as Randall & Kate, but now I find Kevin the most interesting of the Big 3. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

The character of Kevin has become more interesting to me as he matures.  Justin Hartley is doing a wonderful job with these scenes in Vietnam...he's projecting a quiet strength.  In the 1st season, Kevin was immature & not as interesting to me as Randall & Kate, but now I find Kevin the most interesting of the Big 3. 

For some reason Kevin has always been my favorite. I think because Randall always seemed like the golden child and Kate was Jack's favorite. Kevin has grown up the most in the last three years and the Vietnam scenes are proving this.  I agree with you that Justin Hartley is doing a wonderful job. 

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 6

I really don't have a favorite character on this show anymore, but, Justin must be doing a really good job as Kevin, because, right now I can't stand him. lol  But, I DID FIGURE out who he reminds me of.  Something about his look and mannerisms, reminds me of Matthew Fox, when he was younger.  He he is now. You can still see the mannerisms.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Artsda said:

That was quick, they were together for awhile too way before This is Us. Also surprised he's the one doing the ending/filing.

I am certainly surprised.  Chrishell seemed to enjoy going to all the "THis is Us" events & red carpets & she seemed to get along with Justin's daughter.  I never saw anything in the 'gossip papers" about problems with them.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I am certainly surprised.  Chrishell seemed to enjoy going to all the "THis is Us" events & red carpets & she seemed to get along with Justin's daughter.  I never saw anything in the 'gossip papers" about problems with them.

It’s hard to be married to someone as famous as Justin is becoming. He and Lindsay were married for a decent amount of time (8yrs I think) and they were both soap stars. I think they got divorced for “normal” reasons. At least he didn’t have kids with Chrishell. Sorry it’s ending but Justin may have realized marriage isn’t for him. 

https://people.com/tv/justin-hartley-chrishell-stause-split/

There has to be more to this story. If Chrishell wanted to start having kids and slow down her own career, she could still have done that while Justin explored different career opportunities. Millions of families have the mother as the primary caregiver while the father advances his career. Justin is in LA filming the show half of the year, and even if he travels to do movies for the other half, his family would be able to come with him until the kids are in school and need a more structured schedule. And by then, who knows where his career will be. Obviously the actors' personal lives are none of the public's business, but I'm just skeptical about the story they're trying to feed us.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

https://people.com/tv/justin-hartley-chrishell-stause-split/

There has to be more to this story. If Chrishell wanted to start having kids and slow down her own career, she could still have done that while Justin explored different career opportunities. Millions of families have the mother as the primary caregiver while the father advances his career. Justin is in LA filming the show half of the year, and even if he travels to do movies for the other half, his family would be able to come with him until the kids are in school and need a more structured schedule. And by then, who knows where his career will be. Obviously the actors' personal lives are none of the public's business, but I'm just skeptical about the story they're trying to feed us.

I also don't buy that story.  If Chrishell really wanted to stop working and start a family,  I don't think she would have been making that many visits to her plastic surgeon.   She is a beautiful young woman who has overdone it on the fillers.  

On 11/24/2019 at 6:03 PM, nexxie said:

Wonder what happened to the first marriage.

The classic ol' story of a whirlwind co-worker romance leading to an "opps, baby" and realizing that maybe getting married because you want the kid to have a nuclear family wasn't the best idea? They started dating in 2003, Lindsay probably got pregnant around October 2003, they get engaged that November, marry in May of 2004, and have their daughter in July 2004.

Sorry it’s ending but Justin may have realized marriage isn’t for him. 

I also wonder how eager Justin really would be about having another kid. Maybe as his daughter is getting towards young adulthood Justin  realized he's one-and-done?

I wouldn't be surprised though if it's all a cover story designed to protect both of them.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 12/1/2019 at 4:12 AM, methodwriter85 said:

The classic ol' story of a whirlwind co-worker romance leading to an "opps, baby" and realizing that maybe getting married because you want the kid to have a nuclear family wasn't the best idea? They started dating in 2003, Lindsay probably got pregnant around October 2003, they get engaged that November, marry in May of 2004, and have their daughter in July 2004.

I also wonder how eager Justin really would be about having another kid. Maybe as his daughter is getting towards young adulthood Justin  realized he's one-and-done?

I wouldn't be surprised though if it's all a cover story designed to protect both of them.

I could see this. Chrisell wanting biological kids, Justin doesn’t want any more and they broke up- seems a likely scenario, and if they can’t come to terms on that, divorce is the best thing. Doesn’t make either person wrong or bad for wanting different things. 

Lindsay & Justin got married cause she was pregnant, but they did stay married for 8-9yrs, I think they got divorced for the usual reasons. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I could see this. Chrisell wanting biological kids, Justin doesn’t want any more and they broke up- seems a likely scenario

But isn't that the kind of thing couples discuss before getting married? Sometimes couples agree that they want (or don't want) children, then later one spouse changes their mind, and they divorce. But if Justin never wanted another child to begin with, and Crishell always did, they should never have gotten married in the first place.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 8
46 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

But isn't that the kind of thing couples discuss before getting married? Sometimes couples agree that they want (or don't want) children, then later one spouse changes their mind, and they divorce. But if Justin never wanted another child to begin with, and Crishell always did, they should never have gotten married in the first place.

I 100% agree with you! But so many people don’t actually TALK about things like “life goals”, all hung up in the hormones of romance and the joys of partnered sex. 

• Love 3

No matter why they broke up, the whole thing feels very Kevinish.

I found this hilariously worded article on the impending divorce (bolded for emphasis): https://thenewstrace.com/justin-hartley-files-for-divorce-from-chrishell-stause/9609/

“That’s Us” star Justin Hartley has filed for divorce from actress Chrishell Stause after two years of marriage.

Hartley is citing irreconcilable variations as his motive for the lower up, based mostly on courtroom paperwork obtained by TMZ. He moreover filed the divorce paperwork himself, with out an lawyer.

Stause, 38, and Hartley, 42, met all through their cleansing cleaning soap opera days. Chrishell appeared on “Days of Our Lives,” and Hartley gained notoriety for roles on every “Passions” and “The Youthful and the Pressured.” Stause at current stars inside the Netflix assortment “Selling Sunset.”

The couple dated for three years sooner than Hartley proposed. They haven’t any kids collectively; Hartley has one daughter, Isabella, from a earlier relationship.

That's obviously the definitive word on that. 

Edited by General Days
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I just had a dream that I was in love with Justin Hartley, but I was caring for my husband dying of cancer (who I did love and was a good man), and I asked Justin to wait for me. 

For the record I’m not married and not getting married, but damn that dream felt real. “I am in love with you.” 

In my dream we met first when he was married to Lindsay (nothing happened) but we were attracted to each other.

He agreed to wait. 

Damn I guess my love for Justin Hartley penetrates my Dreams. I have not seen the latest episode yet, but this was clearly Justin Hartley not Kevin Pearson. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 6/9/2020 at 10:20 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

New "People" magazine(June 15,2020) reporting that Justin is dating his former "Young & Restless" co-star, Sofia Pernas.  I still find his sudden divorce from Chrishell very "odd".  

My friends got me hooked on “Selling Sunet”- Chrishell stars on that show and season 3 will cover their divorce (starts Aug 7). I did feel bad for her, if Justin Hartley was divorcing me I would be crying too!! Y’all know I LOVE HIM. 

Sofia looks like Lindsay a little bit, as does Chrishell. They all have a similar face shape and facial proportions. 

Sofia is 30, never married and no kids (from my research). Younger than him but not oddly so. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1