Type keyword(s) to search

The Durrells In Corfu - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I wonder if Larry moved out so he could go do some filming for "The Crown?"

I heard the name "Spiro" clearly pronounced several times and then the English captions while they were speaking Greek was "Spiros."  It's a bigger mystery than the wife thing was.

Larry: that's what i was wondering. I have no idea what the schedule for filming was like though. It does feel a tad odd though bc larry moving out was made a big deal in seasons 1 and 2 and now it seems a lot more nonchalant. I guess we'll have to see if his screentime dwindles.

Spiro/spiros: i'm just sticking with spiros at this point 😛

24 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

The whole situation is just awkward now isn't it?  They should have kept it to the subtle flirtation with no serious intent that it was before last season. 

I think it's time for Margot to have a real story line, and not just bits of comic relief.  

I agree that spiros x louisa is awkward now. I wouldn't have minded as much if the wife just left for good, but she's back and it makes everything all squicky now. 😞 i don't want to see her or the kids get thrown under the bus to keep this romance alive. 

I want margo to get a better storyline too. She's just a punchline at this point.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 4

Yeah the actor playing Larry had to do The Crown.

Spoiler

He's in the show but separate from the family.  Mainly shown writing letters to the family until the last episode. It definitely seemed like he either did his stuff all at once, on location, or both.

I don't think they do long term contracts the same way the US does. I think it was news when Keeley Hawes agreed to do the fourth season and added an executive producer credit. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I wonder if Spiro dyes his hair.  I don't know how old he's supposed to be but he's no young stud and that hair is awfully black.

• Love 2

Are they going to ease us off the Durrells by taking them away one at a time?  First episode Larry leaves, second episode Margo is off to England.

Who are the skinny dipping girls again?  I thought they were the daughters of the pompous cousin but then he was going to take them towels in a creepy way.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, whatsatool said:

I  like the guest of the week approach.  They do seem to be foreshadowing greater war.

1 minute ago, chitowngirl said:
7 hours ago, whatsatool said:

I  like the guest of the week approach.  They do seem to be foreshadowing greater war.

It’s 1937. The War is looming.

• Love 1

The colonel guy was entertaining.

Of course leslie brings the baby hunting. Not surprised there.

I miss larry and now margo's leaving too :'(. At least it looks like we get to see more of her still. 

i'm impressed theo didn't crack due to the disorderliness. Yeah he bolted down the furniture but i was expecting to see a meltdown of sorts. Lol.

the moment basil revealed his intentions i was like...you're related, dude. Then i had to remind myself it's 1930 something and i couldn't remember if they were straight up cousins or a bit more distantly related. Anyways, i'm glad louisa rejected him.

poor louisa. A rough episode for her :(. Reminds me of last season when she was emotionally dragged thru the mud due to everything.

glad she stood up for herself when she kinda told spiros off. Reminds me of when she stood up for herself when she broke things off with sven. It's not fair to expect her to be happy with getting the short end of the stick. 

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 7
On 9/29/2019 at 10:39 PM, Zella said:

Gerry's voice is changing and he has gotten so much taller!

I missed it the first episode, but Gerry growing taller is shown in the opening credits.

• Love 5
On 10/7/2019 at 3:28 AM, Ohwell said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I wonder if Spiro dyes his hair.  I don't know how old he's supposed to be but he's no young stud and that hair is awfully black.

Alexis Georgoulis is 45.

• Love 2

I enjoyed this episode the most of all the new ones I've seen so far this season--that picnic was so hilariously awful and uncomfortable. 

Though it saddens me that the family is divided for the season, I appreciated that we got more Larry this time around and that we're still checking in with Margo. For that reason, it felt more like an episode of the Durrells than the earlier eps. It's really nice to see Margo growing into her own as she matures. 

As much as I enjoy the Durrells, Theo is probably my favorite character--or the character I'd most like to be around in real life. I would gladly watch a spinoff of him being adorkably pedantic. Never change, Theo! 

• Love 11

So we finally met Spiros' wife. Now we finally have a face. 

Loved the song and montage of them travelling to larry.

Leslie inviting lugaretzia was sweet. However, i don't care for him trying to push his mother into interfering with spiros and dimitra's marriage. 

The Cap is back!!! Probably the surprise of the night. It's too bad to see him a mess again bc i think the last time we saw him he really was trying to change for the better...maybe? My memory's a bit hazy. 

The least impressive house guest we've had so far; understandable bc for once they weren't meant to be the main side plot of the episode.

Seeing margot flourish back in britain is quite fun to see.

RIP leslie's boat.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, HoodlumSheep said:

However, i don't care for him trying to push his mother into interfering with spiros and dimitra's marriage. 

I agree--I don't care for that either. 

• Love 7

Oh,  I will miss this show when it shuffles off in a few episodes.

"12 years of rubber sheets!" and "maybe it's for the best my husband died young so we never had a chance to irritate each other" - Never change, Louisa.

I love Margo, she wears her eccentricity so cleverly and sweetly.

Larry, come back into the bosom of the family after you are done on The Crown.

That was the most awkward picnic ever with the return of the captain as an unexpected surprise.

RIP Leslie's boat.

Those were some adorable lemurs.

• Love 8

I wasn't surprised that Dimitra would be portrayed as "difficult" in order to give Spiro a reason to want to leave her.  

And what child would want to push his mother into being a homewrecker?  

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

And what child would want to push his mother into being a homewrecker?  

In this case, I think there is no home to be wrecked.  Spiro and his wife are clearly done with each other, and have been for some time.  And his wife seems to have moved on, emotionally if not otherwise.

I wish Larry was there- I don't like that he's gone.  I wonder if the actor had some other commitment and so they had to write him out?

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

In this case, I think there is no home to be wrecked.  Spiro and his wife are clearly done with each other, and have been for some time.  And his wife seems to have moved on, emotionally if not otherwise.

Yes, but, as of now, they are still married.  If they really don't get along then let things play out instead of Louisa waiting like a spider for them to finally break up.  I think it was the last episode where she even talked about the wife dying.  I just don't like Louisa and her mealy mouth.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Yes, but, as of now, they are still married.  If they really don't get along then let things play out instead of Louisa waiting like a spider for them to finally break up.  I think it was the last episode where she even talked about the wife dying.  I just don't like Louisa and her mealy mouth.

Agree with you there, I found her very unlikable this entire episode.  She felt entirely too sorry for herself, and all the time was wishing she could understand Spiro's fight with his wife? Ugh! Just ugh.  I have enjoyed this show, but I do not like this aspect at all. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I wish Larry was there- I don't like that he's gone.  I wonder if the actor had some other commitment and so they had to write him out?

Yes, Larry is filming the Crown. He is playing Prince Charles.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I wasn't surprised that Dimitra would be portrayed as "difficult" in order to give Spiro a reason to want to leave her.  

Yes, and I got the impression that the main reason she was difficult is that for the past few years Spiro had been giving all his attention, time and compliments to another woman.  I don't think that marriage is dead. I remember how depressed Spiro was when Dimitra left him last year.  She's young beautiful and the mother of his children, she's just very hurt.  I think Spiro is man enough and romantic enough to win her back if he would just try.

Louisa can step back and wait for a handsome guest to come along and fall in love with  her.  It never takes long.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes, and I got the impression that the main reason she was difficult is that for the past few years Spiro had been giving all his attention, time and compliments to another woman.  I don't think that marriage is dead. I remember how depressed Spiro was when Dimitra left him last year.  She's young beautiful and the mother of his children, she's just very hurt.  I think Spiro is man enough and romantic enough to win her back if he would just try.

Louisa can step back and wait for a handsome guest to come along and fall in love with  her.  It never takes long.

Not only is Dimitra young, beautiful (and sexy, I might add), and the mother of his children, she's not dumb either.  She read Lousia from the start, which is why she wanted to go to the picnic, to gauge Spiro's reactions. 

I don't know why Louisa can't just wait until a single man comes along, and that son needs to mind his own damn business.   

• Love 6

Dimitria is no longer impressed with Spiros's tricks so he found someone else who is. I had a guy like that once. Once I  started seeing through him he wanted to end the relationship to move onto the next one.

• Love 7

I'm not enjoying this season very much.

Larry and Margo are off doing their own thing which leaves us with Gerry who I'm not that found of and the stupid Louisa Spiro drama which just no... 

I really dislike Louisa & Spiro and have for sometime. Why can't the show give Louisa a single love interest? Why do the writers think Louisa and Spiro are these star-crossed lovers that we as the audience should root for? 

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Fireball said:

I'm not enjoying this season very much.

Larry and Margo are off doing their own thing which leaves us with Gerry who I'm not that found of and the stupid Louisa Spiro drama which just no... 

I really dislike Louisa & Spiro and have for sometime. Why can't the show give Louisa a single love interest? Why do the writers think Louisa and Spiro are these star-crossed lovers that we as the audience should root for? 

You forgot Leslie

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, Fireball said:

Why do the writers think Louisa and Spiro are these star-crossed lovers that we as the audience should root for? 

I honestly think they are doing things this way because in real life Luisa never remarried.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I haven't liked Luisa for a very long time. The way she came into town towing those brats with her expecting the town's folks to take up the slack for her in affording life's monetary needs. Forcing that inept Margo onto the Dr and his wife begging they give her a job, and PAY her. Oh the poor widow with the children who Need money. Anyone's money. While she gets a whole house with land and a drop dead gorgeous view on the shores of  Corfu. HIRES a help woman Lucrecia, while her brat kid Gerry drags in more mouths to feed every day, not to mention the caging requirements of these animals. 

Then forces the friends she's made by non stop whining, to be teacher to that Gerry brat, who then proceeds to practically kill that older man with his planned physical attack on him, making him have a terrible fall and breaking his arm. Every body owes Louisa because she's the poor widow with all those kids. She actually believes that of these poor schmucks whose town she moved to. 

Now she blatantly wants to take a married man away from his family because that's what she wants dammit.

Her over inflated sense of entitlement has made me not like her too much from the beginning.

• Love 9
23 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

This show is so funny, why__ is it in the drama category??

I see it as a dramedy.  A comedy with serious themes.

I like Louisa, flaws and all. I like the whole family with all their foibles and eccentricities.  I am not exactly rooting for Louisa and Spiro - though that has more to do with me not seeing a future for them because of historical circumstances.  I have no investment in the obviously rather lousy Spiro marriage and I am not averse to Spiro and Louisa having a fling as consenting adults. I hope it doesn't all end in tears when the Durrell halcyon days on Corfu have to end.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Pickles said:

This was a weird episode. Spiros was acting so uncharacteristically happy. So odd to see him and Louisa openly flirting and acting like a couple. It didn't seem right or believable. 

I feel the same. When they talked about 'poor spiros' due to dimitra's roving eyes i was like what?? Poor spiro??? How so?? He seems pretty content blatantly flirting with louisa for all to see???? It's like they just conveniently forgot about louisa's whole 'you can't have your cake and eat it too' speech from 2 episodes ago.

I really loved spiros x louisa in the first two seasons (it also helped that we really didn't know the exact status of the wife at that point), but near the end of last season and now this...i've done a complete 180 on them now that they're actually diving into the romance drama (and not handling it well). It's dragging down the entire season at this point.

I thought based on last week's preview we were gonna get stuck with leslie pulling parent trap shenigans to get his mom and spiros together but thank goodness he realized his mistake pretty early on. He needs to fess up now though.

And boo @ basil for continuing to stay involved with dimitra.

Margot and her ward were the highlight of the episode once again. The cinema and the movies are a magical thing to behold so their reactions to it were easy to understand.

The war is really starting to rear its ugly head now.

Kinda sad that the fun house guests kinda stopped with the colonel. These ones aren't really focused on in depth and are there to just fill up space until the show ends i guess.

It's cool that we got an update on our beloved fugitive.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Margot and her ward were the highlight of the episode once again. The cinema and the movies are a magical thing to behold so their reactions to it were easy to understand.

Yes, Margot in England would make a fine spin off.  She's such a natural actress and Prue & Fred are a hoot.

• Love 12

I love this show, flawed characters and all and will be very sad when this final season ends. I hope they show the reaction of the mother of Margo's ward, when she comes home from her get away and finds her daughter acting like a human for once.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes, Margot in England would make a fine spin off.  She's such a natural actress and Prue & Fred are a hoot.

I would watch that.  In a way I got a preview as I ff'd through all the awful Spiros x Louisa stuff.

I felt so sorry for Margo's student Maud, she immediately reminded me of the character Tina from "Now, Voyager".  Her mother is taking her siblings on a trip so Margo can take of her?  Too bad Margo can't take Maud with her when she returns to Corfu.  Don't think that mother would mind.

• Love 7
(edited)

Well, I just saw the season 3 trailer for The Crown.  I have been missing Josh O'Connor in this final season - but he sure looks brilliant and spot on as young Prince Charles.

I don't think it would ever happen but I would like a Margo spin-off.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 4

This most recent episode made me uncomfortable.

I was disturbed the way the guests behaved at the guest house.  Yes, they are on holiday but they are also in a place where the locals are conservative, and they could be a little more discreet. It reminded me of tourists in Thailand who assumed that they could behave exactly as they wanted, regardless of consequence. (A friend of a friend at a beach resort chose to swim naked in the sea (okay, it was a quiet beach), but then rode into town on a motorcycle, and strolled and shopped in the public market, also in the nude. Her reaction: "But I'm on holiday!")

After years in Corfu, the only one who is anywhere near fluent in Greek is Leslie. Louisa can use only the very basic of words when she goes shopping. 

Louise KNOWS that Spiro is married; she knows he has children; she knows, and has stated, that divorce is unlikely in this conservative world; and yet she flirts and dallies with Spiro openly at her house, allows him to move in, encourages her children to conspire to destroy what remains of his marriage so that she can dally with him even more openly. For all this, she is SHOCKED that women in the town turn away from her and disapprove. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, morakot said:

Louise KNOWS that Spiro is married; she knows he has children; she knows, and has stated, that divorce is unlikely in this conservative world; and yet she flirts and dallies with Spiro openly at her house, allows him to move in, encourages her children to conspire to destroy what remains of his marriage so that she can dally with him even more openly. For all this, she is SHOCKED that women in the town turn away from her and disapprove. 

Well Dimitria is cheating on Spiros routinely so it's not like anyone is in the right here. Also they haven't even done as much as kissed, while Dimitria went all the way multiple times with multiple men. You are painting a very one-sided picture here in an attempt to disparage Luisa but it's not as black and white as that.

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 5

Granted, I haven't watched every episode, so I didn't know that Dimitria "went all the way multiple times with multiple men."  However, even if it's true, that still doesn't excuse Louisa's behavior.  

Spiro is no saint and no prize either.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Ohwell said:

However, even if it's true, that still doesn't excuse Louisa's behavior.  

Yes, I kind of think we have higher standards for our main character.  I feel like the writers threw in this new promiscuous quality for Dimitria when they heard fans complaining.  If she had been carrrying on like that all this time would the village be siding with her while shunning Louisa?

I don't know.  I've grown to love the whole family, Louisa included, and I was never a Keeley Hawes fan.  It's something about the group of them flailing along in that beautiful setting that I like, but I'll admit this new thing with Louisa trying to get Spiros to divorce his wife is stretching me.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, morakot said:

It bothered me that no one explicitly stated to Louisa that her behavior was the problem.  Both Theo and the doctor's wife made it seem like it was the guests who were the cause of the shunning.

Btw, what happened to the doctor?  Why is Theo seeing patients?

21 hours ago, Harvey said:

Well Dimitria is cheating on Spiros routinely so it's not like anyone is in the right here. Also they haven't even done as much as kissed, while Dimitria went all the way multiple times with multiple men. You are painting a very one-sided picture here in an attempt to disparage Luisa but it's not as black and white as that.

When was this stated? I thought we didn't know anything about the wife until she left Spiros ?

I dislike this whole plot/trope on its own merit. It seems lazy writing to me.  Add in that they are making this up about real people, of whom we know how they were in real life based on the books, it is maddening to me.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, elle said:

When was this stated? I thought we didn't know anything about the wife until she left Spiros ?

It was stated in season 4 episode 4 at 04:55 by Florence and  then again at 09:13.

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 1

I think Theo purchased or made arrangements to get the X-ray machine last season.  If I remember correctly both he and Margo learned how to operate it, and he does X-rays. Although she may have just been his assistant. It’s been awhile, so I don’t remember for sure if she learned how to use it. I think he sees the patients for X-rays. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Spiros: talks about how he refuses to be like his father

Also Spiros: proceeds to emotionally cheat on his wife with Louisa

Me: hhhhmmmmm 

Like, they're both doing wrong here, but to say that then have a long drawn out montage of heavy flirting while baking??? Nope. Not buying what they're trying to sell us at this point.

I enjoyed leslie's boy scout antics. They were pretty fun. @ that one boy scout: you think it's all fun and games but wait until the nazi's get ahold of you. 😕

Margo's back! Loved the agatha christie train antics.

Liked the fireworks and chaos when the king was supposed to be sailing by but then we got stuck with the spiros/basil drama.

Basil...good riddance at this point.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 4