Type keyword(s) to search

The Durrells In Corfu - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Spiros: talks about how he refuses to be like his father

Also Spiros: proceeds to emotionally cheat on his wife with Louisa

Me: hhhhmmmmm 

Like, they're both doing wrong here, but to say that then have a long drawn out montage of heavy flirting while baking??? Nope. Not buying what they're trying to sell us at this point.

I enjoyed leslie's boy scout antics. They were pretty fun. @ that one boy scout: you think it's all fun and games but wait until the nazi's get ahold of you. 😕

Margo's back! Loved the agatha christie train antics.

Liked the fireworks and chaos when the king was supposed to be sailing by but then we got stuck with the spiros/basil drama.

Basil...good riddance at this point.

That baking scene was seriously over the top. 

Mostly for this episode, I enjoyed Leslie's Boy Scout failure (actually, I felt bad for him--he was so excited and into it!) and Margo on the train and Theo's doomed efforts to bring order to chaos. 

When I first started watching the show, Margo and Leslie were my least favorite Durrells. Now, they're both easily one of my favorite parts of the show. Margo may have even--gasp--eclipsed Larry in my heart. 

• Love 6

What I think I'll miss most about this show when it's over is the gorgeous music and artwork of the intro.  I could listen to that intro over and over! And the artwork is so colorful and joyous!

Edited by bigmag
  • Love 15

Not sure how many more episodes are left, maybe one?  Louisa bothered me less this episode, I guess because she seemed more sincere about what she was involving herself in, and yet, she still feels like she's the better choice for Spiros, while ignoring his Greek way of thinking and living.  

I feel bad for Basil, he seems lonely and finally found someone who would listen to him. 

I enjoy learning about animals, so I've always enjoyed all the animals in the show. I would have been in my element with the zoo. That's what I'll miss about this show.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

On November 10th on our PBS, there is a special “What The Durrells Did Next” hosted by Keeley Hawes, about the real life Durrells.

I saw that already and it is a really well-done retrospective, worth watching. Although the parts in it about Leslie are a little depressing.

So Louisa goes to see Demetra to basically confirm her suspicions that Louisa and Spiro have some kind of "connection?"  Was she hoping Demetra would say that it's ok, take my husband because I'm having an affair?  Or was she trying to get Demetra and Spiro back together again?  I'm not even sure Louisa knew why she was there. 

3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

So Louisa goes to see Demetra to basically confirm her suspicions that Louisa and Spiro have some kind of "connection?"  Was she hoping Demetra would say that it's ok, take my husband because I'm having an affair?  Or was she trying to get Demetra and Spiro back together again?  I'm not even sure Louisa knew why she was there. 

She went there to see if the situation between husband and wife can be salvaged.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Zella said:

When I first started watching the show, Margo and Leslie were my least favorite Durrells. Now, they're both easily one of my favorite parts of the show. Margo may have even--gasp--eclipsed Larry in my heart. 

I feel the same. Once season 2 started Leslie became 'best child' and Margo's been the mvp of this season.

Larry will always have a special place in my heart. Imo the heart of the show has always been louisa and larry's relationship, so him being gone most of this season made the show suffer a little. I know it couldn't be helped, though.

8 hours ago, bigmag said:

What I think I'll miss most about this show when it's over is the gorgeous music and artwork of the intro.  I could listen to that intro over and over! And the artwork is so colorful and joyous!

My mom and i love the intro! We've always had fun pointing out all the stuff, trying to figure out what we'll see in the next ep., etc. 

Overall this season hasn't been my favorite (mainly bc of the louisa x spiros x dimitra nonsense)...and i know there's still one more episode to go, but i still feel like the durrells had a far more solid run than some of the other pbs shows. Like, it's low points haven't reached the same level of low-ness i've thought poldark, downton, grantchester, etc. have or had managed to hit at some point during their runs (imo)...which i consider to be pretty impressive. 

This show could feel downright magical at certain points and it's been such a feel-good show most of the time. 

Anyone have a favorite season? Episode? 

The Prince episode last season is one of my favorites. It was one of those magical episodes.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

I loved the one where all the babies were born.

Leslie enjoying his policeman role.

Any episode with lots of Roger, I think he's such an adorable dog and I've enjoyed trying to spot  him in the background.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Larry will always have a special place in my heart. Imo the heart of the show has always been louisa and larry's relationship, so him being gone most of this season made the show suffer a little. I know it couldn't be helped, though.

Larry is someone I'd want to strangle in real life, but there's some thing about Josh O'Connor that makes him still endearing and hilarious on the show. I really do think the season has suffered a bit with Larry's absence, but I'm so happy for O'Connor that his career is ascending. I can't wait to see him on The Crown.

As for favorite episodes, I agree with someone earlier about the baby episode. One of my favorite moments was early in season 1 I think? Larry and Leslie are trying to bond with each other--awkwardly--and they are both bitching about their respective hobbies (Larry complaining about an author and Leslie about a gun) and neither has a clue what the other is talking about. It doesn't sound funny on the surface, but it reminded me of me and my own brother trying to talk to each other about our very different interests, and it still makes me giggle every time I think about it. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Harvey said:

She went there to see if the situation between husband and wife can be salvaged.

I still don't think she had any business going to see Dimitra.  It's between her and Spiro to determine if the marriage can be salvaged.  What did Loiusa expect Dimitra to tell her?  It's over, so now you have my blessing to go after Spiro?  

Louisa is a sneaky hag.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I still don't think she had any business going to see Dimitra

I agree. The other part that I didn't get was why Louisa felt she simply had to tell Spiros that his wife was sleeping with Basil. She took what was just a suspicion in Spiros mind and made it a solid fact and that benefited no one but Louisa. 

Only Spiros and Dimitra know their history together and how much love is left between them. Maybe without so much interference from outsiders they can save it, but will they get that chance?

• Love 6

What an exasperating, yet wonderfully enjoyable series. I'll keep this short-ish and say I will miss this show and these endearing, awkward characters. We tend to think what we see on the tube is what really happened when it has been "based on reality/a true story/the novels by......" , and that obviously isn't the case here (at least for the latter seasons). Oh well, the series has brought me very much joy, consternation, outright bursts of laughter, and most of all, some of the most wonderful facial expressions from the actors, particularly Margot and Leslie, who, as some of you have said, have become your favorite characters over the seasons (I agree). It is one of the shows I sit down and watch and do nothing else while viewing simply because I don't want to miss someone's "reaction shot." I would pay to watch a series called "Margot on a Train." Who's with me? And Leslie...what can I say?...such an emotionally deep character (eventually). Rarely does a male character have the opportunity to weep, and Leslie had several moving scenes during the show's run to express his genuine feelings. No wonder he was Lugaretzia's favorite and truly wanted the best for his mother (even if he was misguided along the way). It must have been a blast to film for the cast. 

• Love 12

Well I cried. 😭😭😭

that was a sad finale.

• Only complaint: Still didn't care for the flirting louisa/spiros scenes in the first half of the episode but i was fine with their goodbye scenes considering it was the end.
  • Geez i wanted basil gone, not dead.
  • Sven! Too bad he was in it for like a minute. Zoltan! Poor margo's other boyfriend though. He was ditched so easily. 
  • Lugaretzia saying 'my family' and later asking if they were leaving 😭
  • The incoming windy kinda stormy weather really set the mood for the episode, so that was well done.
  • The family coming together to do the play 😭
  • Theo basically breaking the news and him and gerry letting the animals go. 😭
  • They brought back the dinner in the sea

Overall just 😭. I'm gonna miss this show so much.

It's been fun and i've enjoyed discussing the show with all of you. I'll see some of y'all around the other pbs/bbc threads. ❤

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 16
(edited)

This was so sad.  Doubly so because the time on Corfu was the happiest several of the family were ever to be. 

I had been thinking all season that Basil was annoying - but that certainly did not mean that I wanted him killed off! 

I want to watch that show that Keely Hawes narrated about the Durrells. I wonder when they will air that.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 10

I can't believe that Louisa would expect Spiro to leave his family to be with her.  Or did she think he'd take his children away from Dimitra to be with her?

While I enjoyed the series and it was a nice ending, I did find Louisa's entitlement annoying.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, Stuffy said:

I think it's next Sunday at the same time. 

It actually airs a half hour earlier because it’s 90 minutes. And if you had your dvr series manager set to record the series it won’t because it’s not listed under The Durrells In Corfu.  It’s listed as What The Durrells Did Next.  

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Did anybody else start to sniffle when the animals were set free and kept on sniffling until the end?

I'll miss this family and the odd magic they made together.

I did! I actually got teary-eyed as soon as Theo mentioned it to Louisa. I thought this final season did a good job of building up to the war. The specter of war hung over this final episode like a cloud. In fact, that's what I figured the message was announcing--Germany invading Poland, not Basil's death. 

I still am not a fan of the way the Louisa/Spiros relationship ended up being written in the past couple of seasons, but otherwise I really did enjoy this show and will miss it.

Thank God we got some quality Larry time in the finale!

Edited by Zella
  • Love 9

Like most here, I will missed these quirky, funny, endearing characters so very much! They have made my Sunday nights so entertaining. I will especially miss dear, sweet Theo. I always wished he would find love during the series, alas. 

I was however, disappointed in this series finale. It felt silly, rushed, and just off somehow. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I will especially miss dear, sweet Theo.  

Theo was a jewel! Honestly, if I had to actually pick someone to hang out with on the show IRL, it would be Theo. As much as I love Larry and some of the others as characters, I would murder them after spending just a few minutes with them. 🙂 

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, Zella said:

I did! I actually got teary-eyed as soon as Theo mentioned it to Louisa. I thought this final season did a good job of building up to the war. The specter of war hung over this final episode like a cloud. In fact, that's what I figured the message was announcing--Germany invading Poland, not Basil's death. 

I still am not a fan of the way the Louisa/Spiros relationship ended up being written in the past couple of seasons, but otherwise I really did enjoy this show and will miss it.

Thank God we got some quality Larry time in the finale!

Same to all of this. I was expecting the letter to announce something about the war too. Not about poor basil. They did an excellent job building up to the war. 

And yeah, the louisa x spiros relationship in seasons 3 and 4 was basically the only point this show stumbled, but at least it didn't consume the entire series. Seasons 1 and 2 and a good chunk of season 3 will always belong to louisa x corfu, the true otp of the series.

Theo: the moment theo walked up to louisa....you could tell his heart was just breaking over her telling her. And later you could tell how much it was hurting him to tell gerry it was time to let the animals go. Theo's actor did a really wonderful job. 

He was a really wonderful character overall. It was nice that he was just there, being a much needed friend and mentor throughout the show. 

• Love 8

I was talking with someone at work about The Durrells finale and when I mentioned that Larry became a famous author they perked up and asked whether he wrote that "smutty book about the lady who hooks up with her gardener".  I am am assuming they meant gamekeeper. When I asked what made them think he would have written that they said Larry was the type who would have written a smutty novel.

I'll admit that made me smile.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:26 PM, christie said:

Alexis Georgoulis is 45.

And hot as hell.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, JudyObscure said:

Yes, and I got the impression that the main reason she was difficult is that for the past few years Spiro had been giving all his attention, time and compliments to another woman.  I don't think that marriage is dead. I remember how depressed Spiro was when Dimitra left him last year.  She's young beautiful and the mother of his children, she's just very hurt.  I think Spiro is man enough and romantic enough to win her back if he would just try.

Louisa can step back and wait for a handsome guest to come along and fall in love with  her.  It never takes long.

She's beautiful, and she cheats on him.  I got the impression that Basil wasn't the first.  And it sounds like the marriage was over before Louisa arrived in Corfu.  Dimitra said something about Spiro only being a taxi driver - seemed to me that his not being more ambitious or of greater social standing was wearing on the marriage for a long time.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:41 PM, Fireball said:

Why do the writers think Louisa and Spiro are these star-crossed lovers that we as the audience should root for? 

Plenty of us do, even if we realize it's not likely due to looming world events.

• Love 8

I know it won’t happen, but given how heavily factionalized the series was, I would be up for a series where the Durrells come back to Corfu after the war and help restore the island to a wacky and wonderful place.  

Of course, getting the cast to return would be another hurdle, but if they can manage a Downton Abbey movie, then surely someone could bankroll a limited series for the Durrell’s return (It would be cheaper to do, that is for sure).

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Margo spent the war in Corfu with her Greek friends, looking after Larry's friend Henry Miller among other things.  I am putting Spiro's fate under spoiler tags for those who would prefer not to know: 

Spoiler

Louisa and Spiro never would have had a chance to re-connect after the war.  Henry Miller who was also a friend of Spiro learned from Spiro's son that Spiro had died. Neither Miller or Larry ever mention Spiro's estranged wife.

I read this UK article in which Keeley Hawes states that the cast would love a spin-off. That family certainly led the kind of life that lent itself to more story material.

• Love 7
On 11/3/2019 at 10:54 PM, Koalagirl said:

It actually airs a half hour earlier because it’s 90 minutes. And if you had your dvr series manager set to record the series it won’t because it’s not listed under The Durrells In Corfu.  It’s listed as What The Durrells Did Next.  

Our PBS has it on for an hour in the slot The Durrells was in. Was it edited down?

nm-I checked Comcast’s listings and it is 90 minutes. The TV Guide app has it from 8-9. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Our PBS has it on for an hour in the slot The Durrells was in. Was it edited down?

nm-I checked Comcast’s listings and it is 90 minutes. The TV Guide app has it from 8-9. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Directv shows MPT running it from 8-9pm.  So I imagine it's been edited down.

4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Directv shows MPT running it from 8-9pm.  So I imagine it's been edited down.

The version I saw was 46 minutes long. Did I see a shortened version without being aware of it?

scared-face-png-hd-scared-emoji-emoticon-animated-loops-easy-integration-to-any-video-with-luma-matte-stock-video-footage-videoblocks-1920.png&f=1&nofb=1

PBS.org has it listed as 7:30-9:00. The show before it, Voices from Vietnam, is listed as a half hour, from 7:00-7:30. That show is listed as an hour on the TV Guide app. I’ll watch at 7:30 and see what happens. I’m just glad for the heads up so I don’t miss a half hour!

• Love 3

Heartbreaking, that this short series is over, that Basil was killed, even the sad scene with Louisa and Spiro, so much in love, but having to part.

Hilarious was the Zoltan return to claim Margot, and her virginity. Funnier was Zoltan in Margot's bathrobe and the three minute interlude they had in between play scenes, where they consummated their reunion.

I was glad Larry, on his final note, stated he could not turn his back on freedom of speech and was willing  fight for it.

I'm going to miss these Durrells and as Spiro described them, ... Louisa's "peculiar" children.

It was at the top of my list of favorite shows to watch. Too bad my wishes won't bring it back.

• Love 7

While I thought this season was largely kind of a mess -- which was epitomized by the last episode in which they put on a play the day before they have to evacuate because: Germany; who does that? Pack! Say your goodbyes! -- I'm sorry the series is over, because I liked hanging out with these nuts (and also trying to figure out which scenes were filmed in England and where the green screening stopped and started). Still, I think the show had run its course (and certainly gotten miles off the source material). I wish they'd focused a bit more on the tertiary characters -- the doctor and his wife, Sven (oh, that was just mean to bring him back only to hide him in a satyr costume), Lugoretzia, the monks and whatever happened to Leslie Caron's countess? Anyway, the final dinner in the Mediterranean made me feel all warm, so well done, show.

My PBS station in San Francisco has the Durrells special on from 7:30 to 9:00p on Nov. 10.

• Love 3

Wow. Finally got around to watching this and I am so sad! It couldn’t have ended any other way, but it was so melancholy. I can’t believe how teary I am over this show. I am going to miss all of these characters so much! 😢

On 10/28/2019 at 4:05 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

My favorite season was the first one. My favorite episode was the one where Leslie delivers the baby. I also enjoyed the plot with Les and Larry as volunteer firemen. 

• Love 4

I wasn't expecting about 90% of What the Durrells Did Next being devoted to Jerry and his animals and his conservation efforts.  And I'm not being snarky when I ask this but, given his love of animals, I wonder if Jerry was a vegetarian. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Zella said:

I've enjoyed it but did anyone feel like they virtually ignored Leslie? 

That is because there wasn't much to be said about him. He lead an unremarkable life as an agricultural worker and didn't even have kids.

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Harvey said:

That is because there wasn't much to be said about him. He lead an unremarkable life as an agricultural worker and didn't even have kids.

There was still stuff they could talk about. Like his illegitimate child with the maid and the fact none of his siblings attended his funeral. 

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I wasn't expecting about 90% of What the Durrells Did Next being devoted to Jerry and his animals and his conservation efforts.

The series was based on GD's books and his personal point of view. For example, he makes absolutely no mention in his trilogy of the fact that Lawrence was already married when the family moved to Corfu and that his wife was there with them; she stayed behind with him at the start of the war and they had a child. It's one thing that there be no mention at all of this in the series because it is an adaptation of his books after all, but for those facts to be again ignored in what purports to be a documentary of sorts is more problematic.

The best moment was the real-life reunion betwen Theo and GD.

I watched the finale yesterday. I have trouble believing that the villagers would be so appreciative of the family staging a play about one their most famous myths in English, since they did not bother to learn Greek during their stay, except for a few basic words, and expected others to understand or translate for them. Typical of the colonial mindset on the part of the Durrells I suppose.

At least they did not go full-Seinfeld with cameos from past characters. Where has Sven been hiding for everyone to be so surprised at him showing up for a few wasted seconds and to be so hostile to his very presence?

• Love 2

Watched the special...i heard myself saying 'poor leslie' out loud probably a dozen times. So what, they basically decided to gloss over him bc he basically 'underachieved' in life compared to the others??? Well geez that's nice of them.

My mom immediately googled 'what happened to leslie?' and found out she was far from the only one asking that question. I'd had preferred it they were just upfront and honest about his situation and rotten luck rather than awkwardly trying to pretend he didn't exist. 

So it sounds like the spark between spiros and louisa stayed platonic, and now i kind of wish things had stayed that way instead of the romance dragging down the last season.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Watched the special...i heard myself saying 'poor leslie' out loud probably a dozen times. So what, they basically decided to gloss over him bc he basically 'underachieved' in life compared to the others??? Well geez that's nice of them.

My mom immediately googled 'what happened to leslie?' and found out she was far from the only one asking that question. I'd had preferred it they were just upfront and honest about his situation and rotten luck rather than awkwardly trying to pretend he didn't exist. 

Me too! I noticed they didn't even mention him in the promotional stuff, like it was a foregone conclusion nobody ever wondered what became of him. 😞

I feel like even if equal time wasn't allotted to every sibling, they still could have talked about him more directly and--as you said--just been more forthcoming that he wasn't as outwardly successful as his siblings. 

• Love 6

Well, that should have been called "What Gerald Durrell did after Corfu".   I knew Leslie was the black sheep of the family but it was so awkward to have him barely mentioned.  A troubled life is still worthy of not being swept under the rug.

And why not go more into Larry's literary career?  He certainly was famous enough to have an equal presence here.

I was glad that Gerry got to reunite with Theo.

Gosh, Keeley Hawes is a beautiful woman - and clothes look so good on her.  That white coat she wore while narrating was gorgeous.

Apropos of nothing I got very tense during that gorilla incident with the little boy they showed.  A couple of years ago the disgusting Cincinnati zoo in the US chose to kill a precious and endangered gorilla named Harambe  on loan to them under similar circumstances.  Those trigger happy American zoo keepers got their rocks off shooting poor Harambe.  It makes me so upset to this day thinking about it.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 6