Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Coral Palms, Pt. 2

• Start Topic

Dammit Jerry!

And dammit Gina, you always have to be a hall monitor.

Love the cold open with Maya Rudolph.

Gina's assistant is cute.

"Cool. Cool. Cool. (under breath)Our country's broken."

"It's 2016. This is on you."

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 10

Yay, glad to see the rest of the gang, again!  Well, most of them.  Gina still can get on my nerves from time to time, and naturally she would be down with a lazy Captain letting them do whatever they want to do.  Glad Amy wasn't down with it, although it was hilarious that Stentley finally took their advice, right when they actually needed him to do be his normal, lax self.  But Ken Marino is a perfect choice for this role.  I love that even he knows that he just lucked into his position.  I just hope he gets to meet Holt face-to-face.

Speaking of good casting, Jim O'Heir showing up as the close-minded sheriff was a hilarious surprise.  I love that it was his homophobia that defeated him.  I guess the only thing that would have made it better is if his boss was played by Aziz Ansari, and he shows up, seems him locked up, and just yells "Dammit, Jerry!"  And then Aubrey Plaza randomly pops up and yells "You're the worst, Jerry!"  Classic Jerry!

I thought Holt was being strangely dumb throughout the majority of the episode, so I'm glad they explained that it was because of his ego, and not wanting to ask the Nine-Nine for help again.  I'm glad Jake woke him the hell up about that.  I like that Jake is actually the right party a lot of times, and Holt is wrong.  I just hope they aren't too late!

Jake easily buying all those guns was topical, to say the least.

Holt's attempts at being straight with his powerwalking buddies continues to crack me up.

• Love 5

Hmm,  I think I may have preferred keeping the squad in New York and the Coral Gables action in separate episodes. While this episode drove the plot forward on both fronts, cutting back and forth between unrelated stories felt a bit jumpy. Think about what it would have been like were this episode wholly focused on the squad dealing with the new captain. You could have gotten a real sense of longing for the departed captain and Jake,  and it would have been an opportunity for the show to take a risk, excluding it's two primary actors for an episode. Then you have Hitchcock get busted watching the corndog video and tie it all together.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if there were contracts that require Samberg to appear in more than just a YouTube video.

Lots of little bits to enjoy though. The movie theater, Gina and Emily, and definitely Ken Marino!

• Love 3

Straight Holt is so damned awkward.  And funny.

Maya Rudolph's little bits with them are gold.

I loved that no amount of bribery could sway Amy's devotion from Holt.  And Melissa Fumero's line delivery of ' You seem a little.. Eeeehhhhhhhhhhhh..." when trying to tactfully tell the new captain he was a bit under-qualified was great.  I love how she just let it drag on.

Just when I was beginning to warm to Gina she annoys me all over again.  It is like one step forward and 10 steps back with her for me.

Happy to see the scenes with the Nine-Nine.  Now I am wondering how they are going to make it to Florida?

• Love 2

B99 always amuses me, but it’s really not the type of show that makes me laugh out loud…..except for last night.  I loved everything about the jailhouse scenes.  I loved the surprisingly effective Newlywed Games-style interrogation.  I loved that the Sheriff’s homophobia did him in, but my favorite was Jake’s casual icebreaker with the inmates and their introductions (especially the urinating guy). I laughed until I cried. 

• Love 3

Yay the gang is back!  Well, not back together yet--but hopefully soon.  And having cameos from Larry/Gary/Jerry (aka: Jim O'Heir) as the sheriff and Ken Marino as the inept new temporary captain were just fruit on top of the yogurt. 

At the end, I totally thought they were setting up the joke to be more like

Crew: Can we have 72 hours off?

Captain CJ: NO!  You will take a WEEK off.  

• Love 1

I loved everything about the jailhouse scenes.  I loved the surprisingly effective Newlywed Games-style interrogation.  I loved that the Sheriff’s homophobia did him in, but my favorite was Jake’s casual icebreaker with the inmates and their introductions (especially the urinating guy). I laughed until I cried.

Agreed! And I liked the multi-talented Renaissance man who's good at smoking meth AND snorting meth :) 

I enjoyed the Coral Palms scenes WAY more than the B99 scenes. A lot of those characters are starting to feel so one-note to me, even my Amy, who I absolutely adored in the first season and have been a little less enamored with since. I totally get that it's a sitcom, so most characters will have just a few salient traits that are exaggerated over and over for comedic effect, but it starts to feel like Amy's role in every single plot, her lines and reactions are almost exactly the same in every single episode, though that's true of other characters as well. And..

Just when I was beginning to warm to Gina she annoys me all over again.  It is like one step forward and 10 steps back with her for me.

She's just infuriating to me. Not funny, not interesting, not fun even in a 'love to hate' way---just an extraordinarily annoying presence to me. I've rambled before about the many ways in which I think this show is similar to Parks and Rec, and one is that both shows seem intent on having a character who's so egregiously, pointlessly awful: rude, narcissistic, unjustifiably mean, completely unfunny, and just extraordinarily annoying, etc. who's inexplicably supported and loved by everyone anyway (April on that show, Gina on this one). And, again, it's not like either is remotely FUNNY in their awfulness to me, which I could much more easily deal with because, after all, it's a sitcom :) It sounds dumb, and obviously I don't have to enjoy every character to love a show overall, but in this case both characters and the way they affect their shows' overall dynamics actually made me like both shows less overall. 

So I'm actually enjoying this time in Florida and feeling weirdly ambivalent about returning to Brooklyn. Part of me wishes they could just start a spinoff where Jake and Holt have to go undercover to solve crimes in a variety of different communities across America with very frequent appearances by Boyle and maybe slightly less frequent appearances by Rosa and Amy instead of returning to the real B99 :)

All just my own weird opinions!   

• Love 6

Nice going, Amy. You broke the Captain. :) (I blame the rest of the 99, especially Gina, for abusing him.)

This episode definitely felt like the middle of a trilogy. Definitely love the Holt/Jake pairing, and I can see Holt having pride to not let the 99 rescue him again (which, you know they will).

I don't know this, but with everything going down, I wouldn't be surprised that we find out Figgis is

Spoiler

Marshal Karen

Damn it Jerry! 

I loved that episode, I was thrilled to see the Nine Nine gang back, even Gina, who is always hit or miss to me. I am looking forward to seeing what the gang does next to get to Florida. 

"Goodbye strange encampment of juggaloes!" 

"Its 2016. This is on you man". 

I love that no matter how bad the situation gets, Jake always seems to be slightly thrilled about how often his life starts to resemble an 80s action movie. 

• Love 2

I thought this episode was pretty hilarious.  I've loved Ken Marino since Veronica Mars, and I thought he was great as the new captain.  (So much funnier to me than the previous replacements.)  Jake and Holt at the ammo store and at jail were very funny, and I enjoyed seeing the crew back in Brooklyn. (Especially Amy trying to confront the new captain about his qualifications, Boyle in general, Gina and her assistant, and Terry with his new yogurt fridge.)  I'm looking forward to seeing their worlds collide next week.

PS:  Is it just me, or does Rosa look a lot prettier this season?

Loved the episode, but I kept thinking that while everyone else was asking for personal items Amy would have at least asked for something work related that would benefit them all (extra manpower, super-duper computer system, color-coded post-it notes, etc)

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, FlyingEgret said:

Loved the episode, but I kept thinking that while everyone else was asking for personal items Amy would have at least asked for something work related that would benefit them all (extra manpower, super-duper computer system, color-coded post-it notes, etc)

Amy didn't want to ask for anything because she wanted him gone.

I still find Gina consistently funny, but I was very surprised by her behavior in last night's episode. Isn't this the same character who was so devoted to Captain Holt that she accompanied him to the Marketing Department just last season (or wherever it was that Wunch sent him)? I wouldn't expect her to be any more emotional than Rosa, but I did expect at least some acknowledgement that she missed the Captain.

PS:  Is it just me, or does Rosa look a lot prettier this season?

Not just you. Something's... different. Around the eyes. I'm going with less makeup and not "work."

I hope the show can find a way to keep Maya Rudolph (and her hot Cuban love toy) around as a recurring guest. Although, presumably, Holt and Jake will be sprung from witness protection in the next episode, so there goes her reason to be on the show. Maybe there'll be reams of paperwork to be done. Amy could help with that.

41 minutes ago, swimmyfish said:

I still find Gina consistently funny, but I was very surprised by her behavior in last night's episode. Isn't this the same character who was so devoted to Captain Holt that she accompanied him to the Marketing Department just last season (or wherever it was that Wunch sent him)? I wouldn't expect her to be any more emotional than Rosa, but I did expect at least some acknowledgement that she missed the Captain.

I didn't see either of their reactions about having anything to do with Holt. Amy wanted him gone because he is incompetent and she is not. Gina wanted him to stay because he let her get away with murder and not have to do any work, if it was a choice between CJ and Holt I don't believe there would be any question where her loyalty lies but it isn't. It's a choice between a putz she can control or some other stranger. As, soon as she found out that Holt and Jake were in trouble she wouldn't even let her assistant mock Amy.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
50 minutes ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

(and her hot Cuban love toy)

While I did enjoy the whole episode, this was definitely a highlight.  If only he had a line, so I could get a name...although I suppose sometimes it's better when they don't speak.

both shows seem intent on having a character who's so egregiously, pointlessly awful: rude, narcissistic, unjustifiably mean, completely unfunny, and just extraordinarily annoying, etc. who's inexplicably supported and loved by everyone anyway (April on that show, Gina on this one).

April gets cut slack because she's young and Leslie and Ron like to mentor her, plus she does have her moments of kindness. "She's so mean to Jerry!" Everybody's mean to Jerry, she just the one where it's least inexplicable.

I don't think everybody loves and supports Gina, they just tolerate her. They're cops. They'd be bad at their jobs if they let someone like Gina get to them. Also, YMMV on the funny. I found her having her assistant insult Amy in a monotone way funny. 

Edited by VCRTracking

"She's so mean to Jerry!" Everybody's mean to Jerry, she just the one where it's least inexplicable.

April is often pointlessly, unnecessarily mean to literally every character except maybe Andy, not just Jerry. It's an unfortunate similarity she seems to share with Gina, although at least with April you can kind of blame some f it on her being young and maybe, as some have generously fanwanked, having some sort of social anxiety. Plus, you're right that April does occasionally show some basic human kindness in her actions. Gina is just consistently, relentlessly awful for the hell of it. 

Also, YMMV on the funny. I found her having her assistant insult Amy in a monotone way funny.

I get that---obviously mileage will always vary as to what people consider funny, as I made clear in my original post. Personally, I thought the assistant being gross to Amy was just another predictable example of Gina being a mean-spirited you-know-what and getting a total free pass on it because...reasons! 

I don't think everybody loves and supports Gina, they just tolerate her.

There are actually a number of times where they support her, and they always include her in social out-of-work activities despite how much contempt she shows for them. What bugs me more, though, is that the WRITERS adore their April/Gina type of characters, often showing them to be the ones who are right when others are wrong, giving them tons of 'wins' that they neither earn nor appreciate, and consistently showing that they can get away with nasty, bullying behavior with absolutely zero consequences ever. It's like the writers feel pointlessly vicious people don't get enough love and are intent on rectifying that on their shows.  Again, it probably wouldn't bother me so much if I found them funny, clever, witty, etc---but I don't. 

• Love 6

I loved the surprisingly effective Newlywed Games-style interrogation.

Nobody ever beats the Newlywed Game!

I saw Esther Povitsky (Emily) on @midnight awhile back and she was introduced as a cast member of Brooklyn Nine-Nine so I wondered who she'd be playing. It looks like she'll be around for awhile.

• Love 1

I understand that some folks find Gina annoying, and to each his/her own, but I find her amusing. Everyone else at the 99 is highly competent and professionally responsible (well, maybe not Hitchcock and Scully, but you know what I mean). Gina's shallowness, ego, and slacking offer an often funny contrast to all the good detectives she works with. Plus, she does get serious when someone is in danger or otherwise really needs help.

• Love 5

There are actually a number of times where they support her, and they always include her in social out-of-work activities despite how much contempt she shows for them. What bugs me more, though, is that the WRITERS adore their April/Gina type of characters, often showing them to be the ones who are right when others are wrong, giving them tons of 'wins' that they neither earn nor appreciate, and consistently showing that they can get away with nasty, bullying behavior with absolutely zero consequences ever.

Again, "bullying". Amy is a grown woman and a police detective. She should not feel that she's being bullied by an assistant and she doesn't. Also if Gina(and April) weren't being shown coming up with solutions that the others don't sometimes then their would be complaints that they're useless and bring nothing to the group.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

I hope the show can find a way to keep Maya Rudolph (and her hot Cuban love toy) around as a recurring guest.

He was the best sight gag of the night.  When she was confessing her lustful feelings to Holt and Jake, I kept thinking that she shouldn’t cheat on her husband.  Then, we got a peek of that dude and ........Good Gracious!  In the words of Chris Rock, "I ain't saying that it's right, but I understand".  I also loved the running joke about how the sheriff didn't believe a woman could be their superior or a US Marshall.  He was a chauvinistic, homophobic mess. 

Between the sheriff on this episode and the predatory, uneducated, opportunistic Orgasm donor woman from last episode, these writers REALLY don't paint a pretty picture of Floridians.  I guess they really hated their trip to Disney World.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 1

Gina and April are very differnent to me.  I get a kick out of Gina, while I absolutely loathed April on Parks & Recreation.

Gina may be lazy, and self-involved with a hugely inflated ego, but she is very loyal to Jake, Holt and Terry.  Yes, she does seem to enjoy mocking Amy, but those two have also shared some nice moments in other episodes.  And though she generally isn't very kind to Charles, I still enjoy their scenes together.. especially the Alpha-Beta stuff from last season. Her disdain for Scully and Hitchcock doesn't count, because they more than deserve it.

April on the other hand hated everyone and everything (except Andy and dogs) and was so nasty and horrible that it ruined the show for me.

The other difference is that Gina makes me laugh very often.  In this episode, I LOL at her reaction to meeting the new captain, and the stuff with her assistant was very amusing.  I also like the zaniness Chelsea brings to the show.  Sometimes I think Rosa reminds me of April a little bit more than Gina.  It's the generally toughness and dour attitude, I think

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

I hope the show can find a way to keep Maya Rudolph (and her hot Cuban love toy) around as a recurring guest. Although, presumably, Holt and Jake will be sprung from witness protection in the next episode, so there goes her reason to be on the show. Maybe there'll be reams of paperwork to be done. Amy could help with that.

Given that the last person we see Maya with before we find out that she has been taken by Figgis it wouldn't surprise me if the hot Cuban love toy was up to no good!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, amensisterfriend said:

April is often pointlessly, unnecessarily mean to literally every character except maybe Andy, not just Jerry. It's an unfortunate similarity she seems to share with Gina, although at least with April you can kind of blame some f it on her being young and maybe, as some have generously fanwanked, having some sort of social anxiety. Plus, you're right that April does occasionally show some basic human kindness in her actions. Gina is just consistently, relentlessly awful for the hell of it. 

I get that---obviously mileage will always vary as to what people consider funny, as I made clear in my original post. Personally, I thought the assistant being gross to Amy was just another predictable example of Gina being a mean-spirited you-know-what and getting a total free pass on it because...reasons! 

There are actually a number of times where they support her, and they always include her in social out-of-work activities despite how much contempt she shows for them. What bugs me more, though, is that the WRITERS adore their April/Gina type of characters, often showing them to be the ones who are right when others are wrong, giving them tons of 'wins' that they neither earn nor appreciate, and consistently showing that they can get away with nasty, bullying behavior with absolutely zero consequences ever. It's like the writers feel pointlessly vicious people don't get enough love and are intent on rectifying that on their shows.  Again, it probably wouldn't bother me so much if I found them funny, clever, witty, etc---but I don't. 

This made me think - maybe all the writers are just trying to recreate the magic that was Cordelia Chase. But there can be only one.

Edited by romantic idiot
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

If we're taking bets on who is going to play Figgis, I'd put good odds on Jon Hamm, given his SNL and Schur credits. Plus it would be too perfect if he showed up here only a week after his cameo on Last Man on Earth.

The voice on the phone with Jake during this episode (as opposed to the finale) is very distinctive as soon as I heard it I googled and discovered I was correct: 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

"Its 2016. This is on you man" was the line of the ep for me.

The whole jailhouse scene was the best. Jake getting to know each of the other cellmates and figuring out how to use their special skills was great.

Rosa's eyes were definitely different in her first scene. It looked like she had too much white under her eyes. After that, she looked pretty much the same to me. 

• Love 1

I don't know why, but in an episode full of great moments my favourite bit was the scene with Terry and Amy when it turned out he'd joined the rest in taking advantage of the lenient CJ. I just find Terry Crews hilarious, and I love how he goes from being the straight man to pleading, "HE GAVE ME A YOGHURT FRIDGE, ALL RIGHT?" in a second. Amy's "Enjoy your blood yoghurt" and Terry's despondent little "I will" had me full on cackling.

• Love 4

April on the other hand hated everyone and everything (except Andy and dogs) and was so nasty and horrible that it ruined the show for me.

She says she hates everyone(except Andy and dogs) but I don't believe that. It's been clearly shown she loves Leslie and Ron and she's helped all the people she has disdain for including Jerry.

Gina also has limits to her narcissism and meanness. When it looked like the rest of the 99 weren't going to be able to go to Florida to help Jake and Holt, she scolded her assistant for mocking Amy after she admitted she made a mistake "Now is not the time Emily!"

Still laughing over Holt's "You know me. I see a pair of thick weighty breasts and all logic flies out the window.” I would never have known Brauer could be so funny when I was watching Homicide Life on the Street in the 90s!

Edited by VCRTracking
18 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Rosa's eyes were definitely different in her first scene. It looked like she had too much white under her eyes. After that, she looked pretty much the same to me. 

Yeah, I think it was different eye makeup in the first scene, because her face looks exactly the same in all her current Instagram photos.  It looked to me like they stopped putting black eyeliner underneath her eye so heavily (in fact, I barely saw any at all).  It's amazing how dramatically that can change your look.

Jake muttering "Cool, cool, cool; our country is broken" made me laugh out loud.  

I'm just selfish and wanted a bigger State reunion, so I would've loved to see Ken Marino and Joe Lo Truglio in more scenes together, or at the very least, say more than two lines to each other.

23 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The voice on the phone with Jake during this episode (as opposed to the finale) is very distinctive as soon as I heard it I googled and discovered I was correct: 

Reveal hidden contents

I THOUGHT I recognized that voice on the phone!  Good casting, and now

Spoiler

I totally think that Rhea Perlman is playing Figgis's mom.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought Rosa looked different.  But I thought she looked terrible, like she'd had some bad work done or was really tired and washed out.  She looked ill.

But I do still love this show!!

I was thinking about this episode more and it struck me as weird that Gina hadn't seen their viral video. She's supposed to be all tuned into social media and whatever's current and hot, right? Wouldn't she have seen the video if an old mobster did?

• Love 1

Jake easily buying all those guns was topical, to say the least

South Florida... here in Central Florida, if you park in WallyWorlds lot after midnight a car might pull up beside you, pop the trunk and start selling what looked like AK's before you drop down to the floor of my your car. Small business at it's best.

The 5 gal. bucket of bullets was great.

2 hours ago, crowsworks said:

South Florida... here in Central Florida, if you park in WallyWorlds lot after midnight a car might pull up beside you, pop the trunk and start selling what looked like AK's before you drop down to the floor of my your car. Small business at it's best.

The 5 gal. bucket of bullets was great.

Our country is so broken.

• Love 3
On 9/28/2016 at 2:24 PM, Scott said:

While I did enjoy the whole episode, this was definitely a highlight.  If only he had a line, so I could get a name...although I suppose sometimes it's better when they don't speak.

At the end of the scene in the theatre, she calls out to him: "Marco! Vamanos!"

I thought I recognized Figgis' voice, but I was incorrect.