Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Tara Ariano

I don't know if you've listed to the Ringer MLB podcast yet in which they are interviewing the show runner. He mentioned that they not only talked to baseball players/managers, but worked with the Fox MLB broadcast crew to try to make it as realistic as possible.

He also promised a whole episode about clearing waivers, so that should be interesting. I might finally understand how all that works.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, heatherkay said:

I don't know if you've listed to the Ringer MLB podcast yet in which they are interviewing the show runner. He mentioned that they not only talked to baseball players/managers, but worked with the Fox MLB broadcast crew to try to make it as realistic as possible.

No matter what they do, there is a leap of faith required when depicting a woman capable of throwing a baseball that fast. No woman has ever thrown 90 mph (the top speed is much closer to 80 mph), and guys who throw just 90 mph are considered soft-tossers. Guys who throw just 80 mph have been phased out of baseball. So this is not "a true story on the verge of becoming reality," or whatever other bullshit the promos feed us.

That said, it doesn't have to be realistic to be watchable. This is a fantasy show, and should be judged as such. I do wish they had made the woman play second base instead of pitch (seems more plausible), but I understand why pitching is more fun to depict.

• Love 1

Wait, so her father was dead all this time? I didn't see that twist coming. I liked this a lot, but boy did I cringe when Jenny had her meltdown on the mound, absolutely mortifying. I like that her best friend is married to the black guy on the team.  

OMG, I didn't recognize Mark-Paul Gosselaar with that beard. He is way too old for Jenny so I hope the show does not go there.

I heard MLB was partnering with the show but I didn't realize that meant we would have to be subjected to Joe Buck. Ugh. May this be his only episode. 

• Love 11

Not a baseball fan but really loving this show. I couldn't believe the twist either of dad being deceased the whole time.

I hope they don't go with Mark-Paul as her love interest. I rather have it that she develops bonds with the teammates and finds someone outside of baseball for romance.

Will be checking this one out again.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Wait, so her father was dead all this time? I didn't see that twist coming. I liked this a lot, but boy did I cringe when Jenny had her meltdown on the mound, absolutely mortifying. I like that her best friend is married to the black guy on the team.  

The dad reveal was unexpected and uncalled for!  I wasn't expecting to be a blubbering mess at the end.  At least with "This is Us" (I think written by the same guy?) I had been prepped into expecting a twist!

Edited by UMAngela
  • Love 7

I've been waiting to see your reaction to "Pitch", and when I saw this article come up here, I said "I bet Sarah wrote this one" as I clicked on it.

I'm not watching it right now since the Tigers are playing pretty much a must-win game against the Twins as I type this, but I'm even more willing to give it a chance, now.

I'm curious now if you've read "Throw Like a Woman" by Susan Patrone. It has a very different protagonist and a somewhat less-than-believable premise (Think "The Rookie", but with a mom) and it suffers from some of the same issues you mention here. But I fell in love with the character and enjoyed it in the same "I want to see myself in this game" way that you talk about here.

I loved this! I got teary eyed a bunch of times before the twist . When she was walking into the stadium and saw the little girl holding the I'm next sign and when she took the mound for the first time. Was not expecting that her dad was dead.

As a longtime baseball fan I love the idea of a female making a baseball team so I'm all in on this no matter how much of a fantasy this is. Kylie Bunbury was great .

On a shallow note (and maybe this is my love of baseball and baseball players talking) Mark-Paul Gosslear has never looked better . That beard and the extra muscle were really working for him . 

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 12

I enjoyed this, can't wait to see more of this.  I'm kinda sad that her dad was dead this whole time. (um who played the dad, if you say Steve Harvey, I'm gonna go hide)

This is the 2nd new show I picked up this season, the first is This Is Us.

Edited by jennifer6973
  • Love 3

I like baseball, but Kylie Bunbury is who brought me to this show. I think all the characters have potential. Kylie I'm happy to see is charismatic enough to carry this show, which is a huge plus. 

Mark Paul Gosselar was almost unrecognizable. He certainly isn't Zach anymore which is good. 

I enjoyed all of the scenes outside of the game. I understand what they're trying to do by show the pressure of being in the game and how media would react and the audience would feel watching, but some of those scenes went on too long.

I was surprised by how isolated Ginny was from her family, especially after learning her father was dead, which means none of her family came to see her after she bombed in the first game. :(

I thought the story was for the most part predictable, but it had a couple of nice unexpected twists.

I was almost turned off when I heard Sympothy For the Devil. It gave me flashbacks of the brilliance of the Sleepy Hollow pilot and how it quickly descended into disaster, but I kept watching and was glad I did.

I'm mildly intrigued by where they plan to go with this,  but I don't think it will be must see TV for me. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3

@SimoneS

Probably because the player is protected by the union and has a guaranteed contract.  Plus he is more then likely on the disabled list at the moment.  No other team is going to take a knowingly injured player.

The real life Padres are in trouble for keeping separate medical records, and there GM was suspended for 30 games. Plus they had to take back a trade with the Marlins this summer.

• Love 6

I liked it. KB had a nice presence  and MPG was good , I hope he stays snarky. Didn't see the twist coming with the Dad at the end. I also didn't see him slapping his son coming either. I wonder where her brother is? Wouldn't blame him if he'd distanced himself from his Dad and in turn the family.

which means none of her family came to see her after she bombed in the first game.

Her Mom was there.

• Love 5

This one is a keeper for me. Loved the main actress, had no idea the dad was dead, I gasped when I figured it out. So well done! much better twist than This is us. Had no idea catcher was Mark Paul Gosselaar! I am really hoping for mentor/friend, not love interest

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

OMG, I didn't recognize Mark-Paul Gosselaar with that beard. He is way too old for Jenny so I hope the show does not go there.

47 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I hope they don't go with Mark-Paul as her love interest. I rather have it that she develops bonds with the teammates and finds someone outside of baseball for romance.

They won't do a romance story with them.  The show's going to give us the relationship between a Catcher and his Pitchers.  The Catcher is the leader for a team, he knows the Pitchers head to toe, and generally he's best friends with a lot of the Pitchers.  So don't worry, it's just the relationship between Catcher and Pitcher.

12 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

@SimoneS

Probably because the player is protected by the union and has a guaranteed contract.  Plus he is more then likely on the disabled list at the moment.  No other team is going to take a knowingly injured player.

Also, judging from what we know so far, he isn't that good.  We don't know what his ERA or strikeout to walk ratio is, but if he's not a good pitcher, not selling anything, and starting crap in the locker room, teams aren't going to give up anything for him.

I did not see the dad twist coming.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, miracole said:

I liked it. KB had a nice presence  and MPG was good , I hope he stays snarky. Didn't see the twist coming with the Dad at the end. I also didn't see him slapping his son coming either. I wonder where her brother is? Wouldn't blame him if he'd distanced himself from his Dad and in turn the family.

Her Mom was there.

I saw her mom at the game, but I don't recall her visiting with Ginny after like her teammate's wife. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1

It's a keeper for me. Also I feel like the owner wasn't a fan of the manager (and if we are to base it off of real life, the Padres stink so he would be on hot seat anyway) and wanted someone diverse and not in the ole boys club (see hidden racist/sexist even if not outwardly put out). Also the actor probably signed on for X number of episodes.

Loved KB, but I feel like I already know where this will go.  Pressure, romance (with a teammate and/or someone from the organization and/ or a nobody), the press will love her, yes, but there will be scandals and lies, we will learn more about her family, brother will maybe be a screwup.  

I think I'll pass on this one...

I think the part about her lack of speed was addressed by her learning the screwball.  Most boys/men concentrate on speed and a couple other pitches, so her niche is pitch variety, which many hitters aren't as familiar with, rather than speed.

i too hope there isn't a romance angle coming up.  

• Love 18

This and Lethal Weapon has been the pleasantly surprising shows of the fall season for me. Neither one I was expecting to like, but ended up enjoying both.

My one concern (if you could even call it that) is I kind of felt this would have been better suited as a movie, especially with how it ended with the twist with Ginny's father.

Still liked it. Still want to see where this goes.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this show. I like that she had nerves and self-doubt. I can't imagine being in that situation and not. Love that the GM is so Preller-like. The dad was Tony Rasmus. Love the gal pal (who's name I'm blanking on). Love seeing PETCO. JOe Buck was just as annoying as ever, so the characterization was spot on. 

Was not so impressed that they had the Sux beating my Jays on the out-of-town scoreboard. Don't do that again, show.  

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Last Time Lord said:

My one concern (if you could even call it that) is I kind of felt this would have been better suited as a movie, especially with how it ended with the twist with Ginny's father.

Initially it was planned as a movie but IIRC the producers had a tv track record so it was easier to develop it this way.

• Love 2

This is a superhero story, I knew it the father had to be dead

Solid start, cant wait to see show unfold

I like that her best friend is married to the black guy on the team.  

I thought that the guy was her best friend, and then become pals with the wife. 

Edited by DCLeague
  • Love 7

There were things I loved about this show and then there were things that made me groan.  Out loud.  Literally.

First, the way this was filmed from the setting, the cinematography, the colors...it was just a pure visual treat for me.  I really felt the moment.  And I also liked the actors here.  From what I've seen, the actress has what it takes to lead this show. And I've always like MPG and Dan Lauria from their Saved By the Bell and The Wonder Years days.  I felt the locker room was depicted pretty strongly.

But then there were the areas that made me roll my eyes and I'm not quite sure how they are going to fit.  I like Mark Consuelos well enough.  And Ali Larter.  But their interaction was strange as hell with Ali's character taking off her jacket and putting up her hair in the middle of a press conference.  I can kind of see why Mark's character thought she was throwing him signals.  But when he asked her out...multiple times, it felt inappropriate and weird but I'm not sure if that's how we're supposed to see it. 

I'm also not sure how Ali's character will fit in long term.  I'm not saying it couldn't be an interesting side of the major league sports story but it wasn't that for me in the pilot.

I like Michael Beach too but I will only have so much patience for ghost dad.  I did guess he was dead considering he was so isolated. (That and I saw a tweet hinting there would be a twist.)

On 9/22/2016 at 9:26 PM, SimoneS said:

The one thing I didn't get is why the owner demanded the GM put together a short list to replace the manager instead of easier and most effective move of trading the trouble making pitcher.

The owner and GM overruled the manager on keeping Ginny which could lead to some tensions.  If he doesn't want her, is he going to help her?  In addition, it wasn't descibed as a fight between two players but rather a locker room brawl and that brawl was leaked to the press.  Getting rid of the trouble making pitcher doesn't take care of that leak. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, marina to said:

Initially it was planned as a movie but IIRC the producers had a tv track record so it was easier to develop it this way.

Yep, the good old feel good baseball movie.  I'm not surprised at all.

• Love 1

OMG. I'm such a baseball nerd and this made me squee.

I recently became a baseball fan. Im glad I am now or I would be a bit confused following this show. 

All the baseball jargon I have been reading up, really helps.

Mark Paul Gosselar was almost unrecognizable. He certainly isn't Zach anymore which is good. 

What a transformation. 

Edited by DCLeague

Can this premise stay interesting for more than one season or is it essentially just a show about baseball players? (That isn't a bad thing.) The lead actress is engaging but I was confused about the character. She's excited about her profession and new benchmark but also resents her career because she's been miserable all this time? She complains about having no friends but also has a reliable BFF? Overall, the show has a lighter/romcom quality (the charming/sarcastic dialogue feels too "written"). I was hoping for gritty like Friday Night Lights, but I'll watch one more ep. Glad to see Michael Beach in something that'll get him some recognition.

Does anyone know the name of song that was played after her first game?

Edited to add: It's "Addiction" by Black Violin.

Edited by numbnut

I'm surprised at how this show reeled me in for the long haul, however long this show lasts (and my god, I hope it lasts several seasons). I think the most surprising thing is how I actually teared up at the end. I've never been a sports fan, but I enjoy baseball the most out of any sport, so this show is really the perfect sports show for me to watch.

KB did a pretty amazing job as Ginny. She's clearly the lead and she sold it. My favourite moment of the pilot has to be her first conversation with Lawson on the field. The quick back and forth worked flawlessly and it was clear that Lawson definitely was impressed by her in that moment. 

I guess I'm going to have to suffer through an Ali Larter/Mark Consuelos side-romance. I know these main characters have to have something to do, but I'll probably fast forward through their scenes. My prediction is that Separated Guy is not fully separated and his wife is probably going to be less than pleased by Ali Larter's character.

Ghost Dad! Because it isn't a rags to riches story without some sort of tragedy, am I right? We'll see how well the Ghost Dad thing plays out. 

Overall, I'm really in. I know this show might veer into cliche territory and I might drop it if it becomes too ridiculous. But at the moment, I'm in. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, numbnut said:

Can this premise can stay interesting for more than one season or is it essentially just a show about baseball players? (That isn't a bad thing.) 

It is basically a soap opera with a baseball theme so I think that they can get a few seasons. The show could culminate with the team going to the World Series with drama and romances along the way.

• Love 5

I'm also not sure how Ali's character will fit in long term.  I'm not saying it couldn't be an interesting side of the major league sports story but it wasn't that for me in the pilot.

Dont sports stars stay with their agents for years?, I think Ali will have an important role in the show. With Ginny's own father dead, I can see Ali's character stepping in as a mentor.

I just read this from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_agent

A sports agent procures and negotiates employment and endorsement contracts for an athlete. Agents are responsible for communications with team owners, managers, coaches, and other individuals. Primarily, agents are used to broker and negotiate contracts for their clients. Also, they are responsible for making recommendations in regard to the athlete's options. In addition to finding income sources, agents often handle public relations matters for their clients. In some large sports agencies, such as IMG, Creative Artists Agencies Roc Nation Sports, and Octagon, agents deal with all aspects of a client's finances, from investment to filing taxes. Sports agents may be relied upon by their clients for guidance in all business aspects, and sometimes even more broadly.

I think there is plenty for the character to do, if the actress doesnt leave the show. 

Edited by DCLeague
  • Love 2

I thought the acting was absolutely off the charts. Kylie Bunbury, Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Ali Larter, Mo McCrae, Dan Lauria, Mark Consuelos (especially him as the dimwitted casanova)...everyone, really. They really sold me on the event and made me really believe these things were happening.

Plus, I might be alone in this, but I really liked seeing Joe Buck, John Smoltz, Ken Rosenthal, and Colin Cowherd...they added a sense of realism to the show and I thought they played their parts pretty well.

I'm not sure who was the feminist talk show host, so I'm not sure if she's just an actress or a real life talking head, but she did bring an important angle to the commentary around Ginny Baker- the feminist one- and I'm happy she actually was actually portrayed as smart and confident. I worried that this show would degenerate into a "laptop feminist's dream", so I'm happy that the pilot handled that side of the issue- which would be expected in Ginny's case- with balance and nuance. Hopefully it'll continue.

One big downside was the writing. As great as the acting was, the writing was essentially every big sports cliche you could roll into a single episode, and then some. Having said that, some of the choices worked very well, like Baker's first start being a trainwreck and Baker deciding to quit right then and there, the pressure having gotten to her. I would have expected a triumphant first outing but the show threw me a curve. I liked that, especially since it set up the one good piece of writing the episode produced, and that's Mike Lawson's (Gosselaar) "stop playing for them, play for you" speech that set Baker straight (and I like the lampshade hung when Lawson said "this is the moment in the movies where I give you a big speech").

Still, I might have preferred a pilot where we saw Baker's first day leading up to the game, which is her triumphant first appearance. I get that sequence is too, a cliche, but I feel a lot of stuff (like the team leery about accepting her) was glossed over and her struggling could very well be a storyline for a future episode. Other things too, like the marketing department using Baker as a gimmick and the owner placing the GM into a "manager or Baker" ultimatum, is better fodder for other episodes, instead of being cramped into this one. Granted, it all worked, but where does the show go from here?

Also, minor point, but I'd think after Baker's disastrous start the Padres would likely put her in the bullpen, if she shouldn't have started there already. It's very rare that minor league pitchers go from the minors to becoming a starter unless the team is in a real bind or the club has a "can't-miss" prospect on its hands (like Stephen Strausburg)- they usually go into the bullpen and "earn" their way into the starter's role. I get that the show likely felt that if Baker started in the bullpen it might generate controversy because of the suggestion that "Baker isn't strong enough to be a starter/It's chivalry to put her in the bullpen to 'protect' her", but I also think that Baker starting in the bullpen would have been a natural storyline to work on throughout the first season, where in the second season she'd become a starter or the team would start taking those steps.

Lastly- her dad being dead really threw me off. It's really weird thinking about his scenes now, but they still did work.

Episode Grade: A-. This is largely due to the acting and the fact that the writers seem at least aware they're going to come up on the many sports tropes that get used and overused. I worry they put too much into the pilot and don't have too much for future episodes, but this is still a great start.

• Love 5

Okay. so. I have to ask. (I'm still learning baseball, it's so complicated compared to hockey for me) but this is what I know. 
There are two Leagues. American and National. 
the Padres are in the National league, and there's no designated hitter.
So even if Ginny can pitch, is she a capable enough hitter?  how are they going to address that - i mean that's gonna have to come up soon right? 

Ghost Dad threw me (I literally said - well this is so dumb, we know the dad's alive we just SAW the oohhhhhhhh....). Good twist, show. Good. twist. 

• Love 3

So even if Ginny can pitch, is she a capable enough hitter?  how are they going to address that - i mean that's gonna have to come up soon right? 

I wonder that too. We didnt see her bat.

Maybe in the show, all teams are allowed a DH, that would solve that problem.

she complains about having no friends but also has a reliable BFF? 

I think thats  a teammate wife, she is friendly with but not a BFF.

Edited by DCLeague
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Okay. so. I have to ask. (I'm still learning baseball, it's so complicated compared to hockey for me) but this is what I know. 

Ghost Dad threw me (I literally said - well this is so dumb, we know the dad's alive we just SAW the oohhhhhhhh....). Good twist, show. Good. twist. 

She should be able to hit as well as any other pitcher.  They aren't expected to be power hitters.  

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Most pitchers don't need to (and aren't expected to) hit super well. Her goal 90% of the time when she gets up to the plate will be to not get hurt.

That could be a story line later though, I'm guessing a ton of pitchers might try and throw at the girl to try and rattle her.

If it was a critical situation where her team was trailing and needed a hit to win or tie the game, she'd almost certainly get pulled for a pinch hitter.

Another note: was anyone else annoyed that her dad called the pitch a screwball? She's very obviously throwing a circle change.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Usually when it comes to pitchers, they're told not to swing if they have to and they're usually used in bunting situations.

You are right, though- it should have come up, since in the second game she pitched into the sixth inning so she would have gone up to bat at least once. There'd be an opportunity for an angle where the opposing pitcher might hit her with the pitch and try to "knock out the Padres' star attraction", and it could be interesting to see if her teammates would step in for her after she got drilled. I imagine they'll do that storyline later, though, maybe even as a cliffhanger in a later season where we wonder if her career (and thus the show) is finished.

(I could also imagine the producers worried about a backlash about the optics of a male pitcher hitting a woman ballplayer, even though I'd fully expect that to happen in real life)

It's one more reason why I think Ginny should have started out in the bullpen and worked her way to the starting gig- we could then realistically see her develop her hitting for when she'd need to be up there and (as we did tonight) we wouldn't miss the historic first at bat by a female in Major League Baseball.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

It's one more reason why I think Ginny should have started out in the bullpen and worked her way to the starting gig- we could then realistically see her develop her hitting for when she'd need to be up there and (as we did tonight) we wouldn't miss the historic first at bat by a female in Major League Baseball.

They could've also fixed this by putting her on an AL team as opposed to the Padres.

Then they could've just had her play AL opponents and she wouldn't have to worry about hitting until they had a road trip to an NL park.

Edited by Maximum Taco
31 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

I'm not sure who was the feminist talk show host, so I'm not sure if she's just an actress or a real life talking head, but she did bring an important angle to the commentary around Ginny Baker- the feminist one- and I'm happy she actually was actually portrayed as smart and confident. I worried that this show would degenerate into a "laptop feminist's dream", so I'm happy that the pilot handled that side of the issue- which would be expected in Ginny's case- with balance and nuance. Hopefully it'll continue.

That would be Katie Nolan.

11 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

Most pitchers don't need to (and aren't expected to) hit super well. Her goal 90% of the time when she gets up to the plate will be to not get hurt.

Yeah, most pitchers aren't Madison Bumgarner, so with Ginny she'll bunt a lot.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

They could've also fixed this by putting her on an AL team as opposed to the Padres.

Then they could've just had her play AL opponents and she wouldn't have to worry about hitting until they had a road trip to an NL park.

That is true too. I also think "bullpen to starter" would have been an easy first season storyline, because it'd be an opportunity to show her growth as a pitcher and show her slowly gain the acceptance of her teammates.

1 minute ago, Jediknight said:

That would be Katie Nolan.

Thanks- and I see she's also a real commentator. So, good job FOX.