Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Tara Ariano

21 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I think the part about her lack of speed was addressed by her learning the screwball.

There is always room for a few spin-bowlers on the team.  

Ok, so the underdog makes it to the major league (literally!) and after a shaky start, shows the world that her supporters were right to place their faith in her, after all.  

So, WTF is left to put into episode two?  Will the rest of the season be all about her winning one game of rounders after another?

(And Ghost Daddy:  DSTC...)

I'm definitely not a baseball fan, but figured if I could love Friday Night Lights, maybe I could love Pitch. And it was a pretty solid start, I think. I'd have gone without the dead dad twist, myself, but here we are. Kylie was a charismatic lead and MPG was great. And if it really sticks to being factual about MLB, maybe I'll learn some interesting things about the game along the way.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Her dad (while still alive) said that there was no way she was going to pitch over 80 ("It's biology").  That's why he taught and drilled her on the special pitch.

But the special pitch they chose is going to be slower than what she could throw a fastball (physics dictates this), and if she can only throw a fastball <80 mph, then that special pitch is really slow...too slow. It would be like batting practice for professional hitters.

Also, she isn't big enough. She is 5'8, and pitchers under 6'0 tall are exceedingly rare...again, because of physics.

But all of that is technical and doesn't need to be explained away for a fantasy. It's just that the show tried to do just that, and so it comes across as false. The show should have just made her throw hard enough to compete and have been done with it. I would have been fully onboard with a hard-throwing woman with the muscular physique of Serena Williams and the height of Venus Williams. I would love to see this happen in real life and would be clamouring to see her bat.

I agree with the people upthread who thought they should have shown her first plate appearance as a hitter. How is that not a relevant thing to show us? It's not like we can go to baseball-reference and check her hitting statistics to see how she did.

Edited by Superpole2000
  • Love 2

Yet another baseball fan chiming in. The graphics they used were excellent. Had I been switching around channels and landed on this, I would not have known it wasn't an actual MLB game (well, besides the woman pitching). But for the love of God PLEASE let this be the last episode Joe Buck does. Although I will say he was a shade cleverer on the show than in real life, no doubt because he was given lines.

I noticed some baseball inaccuracies and some of it does stretch belief but I don't care. I'm not going to nitpick what I know is fiction.

Kylie and Mark-Paul have insane chemistry, but my eyes may roll into the back of my head if they hook up, at least for now. Can't we have a woman-centered show set in a man's world where she doesn't hook up with her mentor/adversary? No love interests for at least a season is my wish. There's potential there for a good, deep friendship that only being on a team together can form.

I'm a sucker for good, complex father-daughter relationships, and this one seems like no exception. I actually think they may have missed the boat by not having him alive, that's how much I enjoyed their scenes. So I rather hope they have him back often. Where is the brother? If he's bitter and angry that'll be some good drama right there. He probably is, since he wasn't at the game.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 15

I came for Mark-Paul Gosselaar, and I shall stay for Mark-Paul Gosselaar...that, and, you know, the show was pretty good. Guess I'll stay for that too.  

Loved the actress who played Ginny. Solid lead. The Ghost Dad twist floored me. Didn't see it coming. Not sure I liked his motivaional techniques for Ginny through the years...crazy intense. I hope this show explores the dynamics with her mom and brother, and how all of this has affected them too. 

Another show to add to my "must-watch" list. Great news for my social life...haha, JK, I don't have a social life.

• Love 13
14 hours ago, DCLeague said:

I dont think its wise to have only "one trick in the book", she should learn more pitches as the show goes or learn to perfect them.

She also has a fastball. In the commentary, they talk about how she was in a 0-2 count and expecting a fastball and were surprised she threw a third fastball. Sounds similar to RA Dickey's repertoire. He has a slow fastball as well as the knuckler and when he's on they're both effective. 

59 minutes ago, AdorkableSars said:

The Ghost Dad twist floored me. Didn't see it coming. Not sure I liked his motivaional techniques for Ginny through the years...crazy intense.

The Williams' dad moved them to Compton after it had run down, just to toughen them up.  Some dads are pretty intense!

45 minutes ago, marina to said:

She also has a fastball. In the commentary, they talk about how she was in a 0-2 count and expecting a fastball and were surprised she threw a third fastball. Sounds similar to RA Dickey's repertoire. He has a slow fastball as well as the knuckler and when he's on they're both effective. 

I thought that she had thrown two previous screwballs, and it showed her making the circle on the top of the ball.

What is a "slow fastball" and does he have a "straight curveball" as well?

• Love 3
15 hours ago, candall said:

I'm worried now that I've heard about the movie origin, though.  In retrospect, I thought the pilot was almost good enough and full enough to serve as the first hour of a two-hour movie.  But that means the rest of the underdog athlete story could conceivably have been wrapped up in one more hour.  

Can they maintain the pace and quality of the pilot through all the background padding and/or peripheral character storylines necessary to eke out a full season?  It's possible the writers spent two or three years writing their movie treatment and now they're trying to churn out an episode every week.

We'll see.

Would have to agree. As a whole, most shows strain themselves trying to stretch for 22 episodes or whatever the norm is for the major networks. There's bound to be some duds in there. Do we know how many episodes of this were ordered? I'd be happy with around 13 episodes.

The conceit of Ginny being the first female pitcher can only go on for so long before the novelty of it wears off. But of course, in baseball there's lots of drama to be had - playoffs, trades, clubhouse tension, so it could conceivably go on for quite a few seasons. I don't think ratings were stellar, though, so we may not even have to worry about being able to stretch the drama out into a few seasons.

I can do without Consuelos and Larter's characters so far. I need more Jack Arnold - er, Dan Lauria, though. The man is a national treasure. And doesn't he just LOOK like he's been managing MLB teams for decades?

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 5
On September 22, 2016 at 10:44 PM, numbnut said:

Can this premise stay interesting for more than one season or is it essentially just a show about baseball players? (That isn't a bad thing.) The lead actress is engaging but I was confused about the character. She's excited about her profession and new benchmark but also resents her career because she's been miserable all this time? She complains about having no friends but also has a reliable BFF? Overall, the show has a lighter/romcom quality (the charming/sarcastic dialogue feels too "written"). I was hoping for gritty like Friday Night Lights, but I'll watch one more ep. Glad to see Michael Beach in something that'll get him some recognition.

Does anyone know the name of song that was played after her first game?

Edited to add: It's "Addiction" by Black Violin.

Actually, it's understandable for her to have mixed feelings: she clearly enjoys baseball, but her father was obsess and most likely isolated her so she would keep her eye on the ball (pun intended....I guess). We even see her imagine her when trying to get her head in the game, which even in fantasy she resents him for--that speaks volumes. People who become professional athletes usually sacrifice a lot of experiences, friendships, etc due to their dedication and I'd imagine that'd been times a thousand for someone in Ginny's position, the first woman in the major leagues. Also, that woman wasn't Ginny's best friend, it was her teammate's wife who she was friendly with. 

---

So, I finally realized why I don't really care if characters who are played by MPG and KB hook up: it's about chemistry and writing. When it comes to new love interests, shows don't often get it right so why invest if they're going to half ass or the chemistry sucks. But, if the character is established, has a great relationship, and good chemistry with another already established character, it's just easier to invest in and root for. Now, I'm not shipping them already, but I'm not opposed to it. But, I understand others hang up. For me, if the romance happens, I won't be opposed to it.

Mother of god, please drop that Ali/Mark will they/won't they--it was forced and no chemistry.

As for the baseball, I actually want to see her journey on and off of the field. Due to her position, there will people rooting for her and others trying to take her down. Ginny does need friends, but she also laws to learn to navigate the new and cutthroat world.

• Love 3

I never thought this was a sentence I'd ever type, but... I liked Ali Larter. She played a really effective shark.

Bob Balaban and Dan Lauria were both faces I was really happy to see. 

So they went there with the "B" word ("biology"). I half expected them to dodge it. 

I kind of groaned when her first pitch was wild, followed a walks and passed balls. Pretty damn Baseball plot predictable. I hadn't expected them to go as far as her completely melting down. Or Ghost Dad.

Mark-Paul Gosselaar was fairly unrecognizable (in a good way).

• Love 3

Upon further thought, I think the show is not going to cross that line between KB and MPG. I just don't see them going there and he's probably going to be a father like figure or something. 

Edited by Nanrad
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Yet another baseball fan chiming in. The graphics they used were excellent. Had I been switching around channels and landed on this, I would not have known it wasn't an actual MLB game (well, besides the woman pitching). But for the love of God PLEASE let this be the last episode Joe Buck does. Although I will say he was a shade cleverer on the show than in real life, no doubt because he was given lines.

Joe Buck didn't even make sense a second time. I know he does games on Fox Sports 1, but would that channel really be doing two San Diego games that close together? 

Even if they go with a fictional team (instead of a real one) they need to switch to a set of local San Diego broadcasters.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Kromm said:

Even if they go with a fictional team (instead of a real one) they need to switch to a set of local San Diego broadcasters.

Dick Enberg is one of our current announcers with Mark Grant., so it's not like we have two unknowns, just one. Also Padre games are played on Fox Sports West so Fox can still hype their sports channels.  

With that being said I could totally see FS1 coming to see her first two starts  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Someone up thread mentioned that she should have been familiar with MPG's character if she went to Spring Training, but that may not be the case if she wasn't yet invited to Major League Camp.

That was me, and yeah, that's possible, but it's not unusual for the team's more highly touted prospects to get an invite to big league spring training, even for just the first few weeks being sent to minor league camp. And if she was on the 40-man roster (which after five years that's probable), she would've had to be in big league camp for at least part of the time. Gotta keep reminding myself it's just TV! :)

• Love 1
16 hours ago, tom87 said:

Hitting  isn't a skill women couldn't do proficiently due to physicality.   

From a power aspect, yes, and that matters a lot. But I could see a woman succeeding as a slap-hitting, Ichiro type hitter. There's plenty of skills, like contact and pitch recognition, where physical strength isn't a factor.

• Love 5

I thought this was wonderful. Minor inconsistencies took me out of it -- for instance, that the signs were all supporting Ginny, and the only time they showed the backlash was in the locker room. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I don't think baseball fans are quite that enlightened yet, and there'd be a fair amount of sexism/catcalls (and let's be real -- racism) that would get especially nasty after she was pulled in her first game.

And it's ironic that the show has a singing name, because there was something about this show that invoked the ghost of Glee: the ragtag band of underachieving misfits, with the exception of one major star, and a new addition helps galvanize them as they fight their way to the next level. It's obviously not a perfect analogy, but I guess I'm saying that while the focus should obviously be on Ginny, I also see potential in watching the crappy team try and become better and the storylines involved in that. For example, the short list of new managers I found intriguing.

But overall, I thought the acting was terrific, the characters were likable and interesting and I'm excited to see where this goes.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Nanrad said:
On 9/22/2016 at 8:44 PM, numbnut said:

The lead actress is engaging but I was confused about the character. She's excited about her profession and new benchmark but also resents her career because she's been miserable all this time? She complains about having no friends but also has a reliable BFF?

Actually, it's understandable for her to have mixed feelings: she clearly enjoys baseball, but her father was obsess and most likely isolated her so she would keep her eye on the ball (pun intended....I guess). We even see her imagine her when trying to get her head in the game, which even in fantasy she resents him for--that speaks volumes. People who become professional athletes usually sacrifice a lot of experiences, friendships, etc due to their dedication and I'd imagine that'd been times a thousand for someone in Ginny's position, the first woman in the major leagues. Also, that woman wasn't Ginny's best friend, it was her teammate's wife who she was friendly with. 

I understand having mixed feelings but the character expressed two POVs like she had two personalities instead of layering both feelings throughout to convey her inner struggle with complexity. That could be attributed to the level of the writing, the actress or both. The friendship came out of the blue after her "no friends" comment because she and the teammate's wife have an established chemistry (they seem like old friends).

Edited by numbnut
9 hours ago, Kromm said:

Joe Buck didn't even make sense a second time. I know he does games on Fox Sports 1, but would that channel really be doing two San Diego games that close together? 

Yes they would do these tow games due to interest.   And fictional announcers would be used in the future maybe mixing in a real person time to time .

Kylie and Mark-Paul have insane chemistry, but my eyes may roll into the back of my head if they hook up, at least for now. 

They wont hook up, he looks way older than her. They will be more like brother and sister. They are at different stages in their careers and life, I just dont see it. 

The Williams' dad moved them to Compton after it had run down, just to toughen them up.  Some dads are pretty intense!

Yeah, some parents of young prodigies can be very obsessive and will do whatever it takes to make a champion. Yeah sometimes it messes up the kid, but hey at least they will be rich while doing the job they love.

Edited by DCLeague
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Kromm said:

I kind of groaned when her first pitch was wild, followed a walks and passed balls. Pretty damn Baseball plot predictable. I hadn't expected them to go as far as her completely melting down.

The melt-down wasn't too unpredictable, but the pitches were way too off to be believable for me.  I excused them because the the story was good, but it was clumsy.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, tom87 said:

Yes they would do these tow games due to interest.  

Okay, I think I might not have explained this well. 

The reason I thought it unrealistic that Buck and FS1 would be at both games is because Fox has to negotiate ahead of time what games they are covering. They can't just randomly show up at games.  And her pitching a game in the first place on a specific game wasn't something anyone could predict. FS1 having it in the first place we can fudge/wank though as the team specifically bringing her up on a day they already knew Fox would be there (and they could move other pitchers around a bit to ensure she had that day and thus the coverage). But it's unrealistic that Fox would have that second broadcast, exactly 5 games later, because they'd likely only have a few games all year for each team and wouldn't tend to book them a week or so apart. And again, if it wasn't a pre-arranged date, I think they'd a.) already have another game committed for that day and b.) not only have to ditch that other game (likely breaking contracts), but then quickly negotiate covering the extra Padres game.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Finally watched this.  Ooh, I really enjoyed it.

Kylie Bunbury was luminous.  Ali Larter was bad ass.  Mark-Paul Gosselaar was fab & funny.   The look of it was great (watching Queen Sugar has given me a more critical eye about tv photography).  The first outing was painful to sit through.

I'm in.  At least til Fox fucks it up somehow.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

The reason I thought it unrealistic that Buck and FS1 would be at both games is because Fox has to negotiate ahead of time what games they are covering. They can't just randomly show up at games. 

Are you sure?  What does their contract look like?  The reason I ask is because even the NFL has some flexibility in who plays in their Sunday Night Football.  Games that become important can be bumped to the late game.  And they have even changed whether or not a game is on FOX or CBS based on where other games are moved. 

So I think you're completely right about most of this being negotiated ahead of time, I would have to think that there's some flexibility for something as big as this.

• Love 1
On 9/22/2016 at 9:27 PM, Enero said:

Mark Paul Gosselar was almost unrecognizable. He certainly isn't Zach anymore which is good. 

Wow! You're right! I swore I thought I heard his voice, and looked up and didn't see him and moved on.

• Love 2

I think I'm sold on this show.  I'm a huge baseball fan so I appreciated the authentic feel of the show.  It felt very real, right down to me screaming at Joe Buck.

The twist at the end got me.  I thought it was weird that her mom and dad weren't really speaking but I figured he's just intense...then I saw them driving in the truck and my heart sank.  I just knew that we were on some Sixth Sense BS. 

How did I not recognize Mark-Paul?  I recognized the guy from the MTV boyband 2gether but not Mark-Paul?!  I spent the entire episode checking him out and comparing his character to real major leaguers.  Go, MP!

• Love 4
15 hours ago, numbnut said:

I understand having mixed feelings but the character expressed two POVs like she had two personalities instead of layering both feelings throughout to convey her inner struggle with complexity. That could be attributed to the level of the writing, the actress or both. The friendship came out of the blue after her "no friends" comment because she and the teammate's wife have an established chemistry (they seem like old friends).

They could've had a great dynamic, but weren't really friends back when Ginny trained with her husband. You can be friendly and enjoy a person without having a friendship with someone. Because the loneliness and isolation comes not from the fact that you can't enjoy someone when you spend time with them, but rather the in between time. Do they call you just because? Can you two talk about nothing? Do they interact with you without having needing to do anything, because they're bored and want you to entertain them, or simply because of proximity of other people you two share in common.

• Love 4

Okay, so I owe you guys a thank you. When I read about the new fall shows I decided to skip this one because I thought Fox would turn it into some kind of Disney-ish story, and it would be stupid. So I didn't watch it. Yesterday, I was bored and looking for something on Hulu and saw this show, so I jumped on here to see what all of you (the critics whose opinions I really trust) had to say, and based on your reviews, I tried it and really, really liked it. Not Disney-ish at all. I loved the main character and I think she seems very believable, and all the characters seemed true to me. I am in for the season, so thank you all for getting me into a good show!

Edited by HoosierJen
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

How did I not recognize Mark-Paul?  I recognized the guy from the MTV boyband 2gether but not Mark-Paul?!  I spent the entire episode checking him out and comparing his character to real major leaguers.  Go, MP!

I recognized the guy from 2gether before MP too! I also recognized an extra from Empire as being featured in R. Kelly's "Trapped in the Closet", so Fox was just full of early-00 memories for me this week. 

I decided to watch this on a whim after seeing the promo Fox had showing little kids a woman could pitch. I'm glad I checked it out, I really enjoyed it. And while I kept hearing "This is Us" was supposed to make me cry, I stayed dry-eyed through that (though I did like it), whereas this had me crying within the first five minutes. Something about seeing all those little girls holding signs that said "I'm Next!" really got to me. 

• Love 9
On 9/23/2016 at 1:31 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

That threw me too at first, but I think it was just his fantasy. There were a lot of quick cuts between current time and past time plus shots of her father in the stands watching her pitch when we find out he's already dead, so that's how I interpreted the scene where the agent is suddenly sexy and not all business like she had been up to that point.

I agree it was odd, but I don't think it was meant to be a fantasy. Other than Ginny imagining her father, this show seems very grounded in reality.

In terms of a future romance for Ginny, is anyone else thinking it might be with the agent's assistant? (Elliot?)

I was spoiled that there was a twist, but I figured it would have something to do with the brother since he was strangely absent from the present-day scenes. I didn't see the car crash coming until a few seconds before it happened.

I think the actor playing the trouble-making injured pitcher played one of Boyd's henchmen in the final season of Justified. He seems to have a niche playing idiots...

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 1

One of the things that annoys me a lot is when people on tv don't look at the road while they are supposedly driving. So in the scene right before the accident, I was literally rolling my eyes and complaining out loud: "You're DRIVING! Look at the damn road!!"-- not because I thought it was foreshadowing, but because I was feeling cynical and annoyed.

Then they crashed.

From the perspective of whether I like it as a storytelling element for the show, honestly I think it's unnecessarily maudlin; we have plenty of conflict without giving the lead survivor guilt or unresolved daddy issues.

But as a PSA, I kind of dug it. Pay attention when you're driving.

I'm not really into baseball, so whether I wind up sticking with the show will depend on other things, but I like knowing they are doing their best to make an authentic baseball experience as is possible under the circumstances.

I also think it's amusing that they've cast the actor who played "Reggie Jackson" on The Neighbors, as Ali Larter's assistant. I hope he eventually gets to do more than be the sidekick who delivers comic relief.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, possibilities said:

One of the things that annoys me a lot is when people on tv don't look at the road while they are supposedly driving.

Oh, Lord, yes.  They turn and talk to their passenger for five freaking minutes while "driving".  It DRIVES me crazy!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

Oh, Lord, yes.  They turn and talk to their passenger for five freaking minutes while "driving".  It DRIVES me crazy!

Yeah, this drives me crazy too. Sometimes they do actually crash, so I'm always bracing myself during those scenes.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Anela said:

A twist I actually guessed early on! 

I liked this. I'll keep watching.

Heh, me too, though I can't claim any credit for it - the first promo I saw had the line, something like, "What would your father think about all this?" asked to Ginny. And while I continued watching the promo, I thought, what do they mean, what would he think, he's still around . . . ohhh. The line wasn't in the episode, so either they cut it because it was giving the game away, or it's going to be in a later episode.

I liked the episode, though I really, really cringed at the first game - was just watching through my fingers at this point. And sure, it was a underdog story cliche - underdog is feted, chokes the first time, gives up, gets pep talk (MPG was amazing), and blows everyone away - but it was still enjoyable. And it was refreshing to see the big cliches trotted out for a woman, and a WOC, for once. Nice.

I'm sure they're never going in the Mike/Ginny direction (but the fanfic is writing itself as we speak), but I honestly wouldn't mind if they did - they have mad chemistry.

I know absolutely nothing about baseball, besides what I learned from watching Field of Dreams and Bull Durham (look, it was a long time ago. Kevin Costner was still hot), not being American, but I enjoyed watching this and I'll watch some more.

• Love 4

Huge lifelong baseball fan and the Padres are our team so that alone would of been enough to turn in. But our oldest was a talented passionate softball player who could of played college ball (but didn't). My hubby coached her through to the beginning of her travel ball teams so it brought back some memories (but he wasn't crazy like Ginny's dad). (She pitched for a few years but she had to let that position go as we couldn't afford the pitcher lessons anymore). She just graduated HS and many of her former teammates are playing D1 softball at top softball schools,  including two pitchers that did/will start as Freshman. I've lived the hard work that both the players and families go through, so you can understand why I cried when Ginny first took the mound!  I swear I was believing females finally made it to the Bigs (I cried like I did when Obama first won, I could finally tell my kids, yes, as a minority, you too can be President!) But who knows, our 8 year old is just as passionate (but not as talented) as her sister, maybe when she reaches adulthood there will be ladies in the Bigs. Yes, you need to suspend believe if you know baseball but it's still a fun show. I'm in until it gets too soapy. 

• Love 15

Okay, so I owe you guys a thank you. When I read about the new fall shows I decided to skip this one because I thought Fox would turn it into some kind of Disney-ish story, and it would be stupid. So I didn't watch it. Yesterday, I was bored and looking for something on Hulu and saw this show, so I jumped on here to see what all of you (the critics whose opinions I really trust) had to say, and based on your reviews, I tried it and really, really liked it. Not Disney-ish at all. I loved the main character and I think she seems very believable, and all the characters seemed true to me. I am in for the season, so thank you all for getting me into a good show!

Welcome to the ballpark!

In terms of a future romance for Ginny, is anyone else thinking it might be with the agent's assistant? (Elliot?)

The media manager guy?, oh yeah. Yeah those two are about the same age, I can get behind this.

Ginny with anyone on her team or in baseball is too controversial. At least at this stage of her career.

Edited by DCLeague
  • Love 1

I heard MLB was partnering with the show but I didn't realize that meant we would have to be subjected to Joe Buck. Ugh.

Yeah - this made me...disappointed.

I guess I'm going to have to suffer through an Ali Larter/Mark Consuelos side-romance.

This also made me sad. I like Ali Larter, but Mark Consuelos is dishrag dull to me.

The hubs and I watched this one tonight and I totally expected to hate it...but I didn't.  I mean, I did want to run from the room during her first outing...that was just painful...but in the end it was pretty good. I also felt that the performances were strong all around and I didn't see the dead twist coming, although it did make sense. I do worry how they will keep this one going for the long run, but I'm in for now.

• Love 2
On 24/09/2016 at 10:26 PM, Irlandesa said:

Are you sure?  What does their contract look like?  The reason I ask is because even the NFL has some flexibility in who plays in their Sunday Night Football.  Games that become important can be bumped to the late game.  And they have even changed whether or not a game is on FOX or CBS based on where other games are moved. 

So I think you're completely right about most of this being negotiated ahead of time, I would have to think that there's some flexibility for something as big as this.

Yeah. Back in 2007, when the New England Patriots were poised to play for a perfect season on the NFL Network, there was a lot of last-second negotiation to get the game on CBS and NBC. So I could see FOX and MLB stepping in to get Ginny's second game covered nationally, especially considering it may have been a "surprise" she got a second start.

I also think about the logistics- production and story wise- and it's just easier to trot out Joe Buck and John Smoltz twice, especially considering they're not "characters of significance" and are just there for a sense of "realism".

Edited by Danielg342
Stupid Autocorrect misspelling Smoltz
  • Love 3
On 9/23/2016 at 9:04 PM, Netfoot said:

There is always room for a few spin-bowlers on the team.  

Ok, so the underdog makes it to the major league (literally!) and after a shaky start, shows the world that her supporters were right to place their faith in her, after all.  

So, WTF is left to put into episode two?  Will the rest of the season be all about her winning one game of rounders after another?

(And Ghost Daddy:  DSTC...)

There's lots of room for drama. Even disregarding her own family and personal situation, sports is full of drama.

1) Have her give up a few hits early in the 1st or 2nd and load the bases, and have to pitch her way out of it cause the manager doesn't want to go to the pen. This time if she asks to be let out of the game, don't let her.

2) Have her hit in a critical scenario where they are trailing, but it's too early to pull her, or she's pitching great and they don't want to pull her. 

3) Have her lose a perfect game/no hitter in the 7th or 8th. If there's tension on the team maybe make it seem like someone didn't try hard enough for her (fielder doesn't run hard for a foul out).

4) Have opposing pitchers try to bean her and knock her out.

5) Get her tossed by the umpire for arguing balls and strikes.

6) Someone on the team gets traded, not MPG obviously, but maybe her other buddy? I could see that happening. Or they could have her develop a friendship with someone else over a few episodes and then trade him. Either way that allows for another episode where the traded guy comes back on an opposing team and knows all her tricks and tendencies. Also the trade will bring in a new guy; what if this guy's a jerk? And while I'm loathe to consider the possibility he could also be a love interest. Personally I'm hoping whatever love interests she has will be kept off the field. Going down the "she's screwing someone on the team" route is not where I want to go with the premise of a female MLB player, but I acknowledge the possibility a workplace romance could happen.

7) They're already going down the new manager path. What if the new manager coddles her because she's the owner's darling? Or go the other way and he's more of a hardass then the old one?

8) Teams figure out her "screwball" (it's a circle change) and she needs to change her repertoire or develop a new pitch.

9) She goes into a slump right when the Padres are about to contend for a playoff spot (Stop laughing baseball fans. Remember this is an alternate universe.)

10) There are trade rumours about her. Lots of ways to go here, maybe her team wants her to get traded because while she's a fair pitcher, her real asset is filling the stands, and they'd rather have someone better? Maybe she lets the rumours get to her head and she starts dreaming about starting somewhere else? Obviously she won't get traded in the end.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 7

Good list.

A some point I am sure we will see The Special Episode where her team comes to her defense -- the old, we can fight amongst ourselves, but we close ranks when someone comes against one of our own, thereby cementing her as One Of Them!

• Love 4

Yeah, I don't get the criticism about lack of content for the rest of the season. There are many things they can do because the premise of the show isn't just about being the first woman pitcher, but Ginny's life in general and the difficulties that comes with going in that world. Her difficulties didn't end her first day--they're honestly just beginning. 

• Love 2

This show has the potential to, once the plot of Ginny being the first female ballplayer in MLB is explored, move on to being a baseball workplace drama. It won't have to ALWAYS be about Ginny if it gets to a point where she's settled in and there's not much more to tell about her journey. I think there's still a lot to get to there, though and am excited for the journey. 

As a huge baseball fan, I did love the authenticity of the production values. It felt comfortable to have Matt Vasgerian and Joe Buck's voices, even if they aren't my favorites. I loved the actual in-game graphics lifted directly from real baseball games. Having MLB on their side is definitely a perk for this show (and as a huge Friday Night Lights fan who bought multiple Dillon Panther shirts, if this shows takes off, they are wise to have real gear already available). My only authenticity quibble has been addressed here, and that is that I find it hard to believe that Ginny would be in the minors for as long as she was and only know ONE guy in the clubhouse well enough to consider him a friend or someone who has her back. Even as a minor leaguer, she likely did Spring Training with the guys and even if she wasn't part of big league camp, minor league camp often sends over bodies to help out with split squad games or "road" games. But that's pretty insidery knowledge and I give them a pass on not digging too deep with that. I just wish she had more than one person who knew her well enough to not give her the cold shoulder! 

• Love 3

I know very little about baseball so maybe someone else here can help me out. Isn't the screwball a fairly standard pitch? How come other teams would need to "figure it out?" I would have thought it was already pretty well known and figured out by now. Again, I know nothing about baseball (obviously, LOL). More of a football gal, myself. But if someone wants to clue me in I would be most grateful! :)

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I know very little about baseball so maybe someone else here can help me out. Isn't the screwball a fairly standard pitch? How come other teams would need to "figure it out?" I would have thought it was already pretty well known and figured out by now. Again, I know nothing about baseball (obviously, LOL). More of a football gal, myself. But if someone wants to clue me in I would be most grateful! :)

There aren't a lot of guys who throw one, but the screwball has been around for ages, and it isn't really a secret.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

The screwball is a rare pitch, not many pitchers throw it anymore because it's difficult pitch to master, and if thrown improperly is associated with injury. But it's not some kind of magic pitch that teams would need to "figure out," it's simply a reverse curveball and has been around forever. I could be wrong but I think the only current MLB player who throws the screw with any regularity is Hector Santiago of the Minnesota Twins, and even he only throws it like 12 or 13 times per game, he doesn't use it a ton, just as a little trick to get strike 3. Yu Darvish (of the Texas Rangers) used to throw it but it was wrecking havoc on his arm.

Also Ginny's not actually throwing a screwball, she's throwing a pitch more accurately called a circle change, which combines the characteristics of a screwball with those of a change up, with less wear on the arm. The circle change is a more common pitch then the standard screwball, but it wouldn't give Ginny any benefit. You see the reason current pitchers are successful with the circle change is they deliver it in the same fashion as their fastball, which usually tops out in the 90's, the circle change on the other hand arrives at the plate in the low to mid 80's or sometimes even the high 70's. The 9-10 mph difference in the pitch is what confounds batters, who are expecting a 90+mph fastball but instead are fooled by the change up and swing early.

However Ginny who we know throws in the mid 80's, would have a change up in the low to mid 70's, maybe the high 60's, and that is simply too slow. MLB batters would probably feast on her. Also if she threw it 3 times in a row, like in the pilot, the second or third one would've likely been CA-RUSHED if the batter had any proficiency.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

There's lots of room for drama. Even disregarding her own family and personal situation, sports is full of drama.

1) Have her give up a few hits early in the 1st or 2nd and load the bases, and have to pitch her way out of it cause the manager doesn't want to go to the pen. This time if she asks to be let out of the game, don't let her.

2) Have her hit in a critical scenario where they are trailing, but it's too early to pull her, or she's pitching great and they don't want to pull her. 

3) Have her lose a perfect game/no hitter in the 7th or 8th. If there's tension on the team maybe make it seem like someone didn't try hard enough for her (fielder doesn't run hard for a foul out).

4) Have opposing pitchers try to bean her and knock her out.

5) Get her tossed by the umpire for arguing balls and strikes.

6) Someone on the team gets traded, not MPG obviously, but maybe her other buddy? I could see that happening. Or they could have her develop a friendship with someone else over a few episodes and then trade him. Either way that allows for another episode where the traded guy comes back on an opposing team and knows all her tricks and tendencies. Also the trade will bring in a new guy; what if this guy's a jerk? And while I'm loathe to consider the possibility he could also be a love interest. Personally I'm hoping whatever love interests she has will be kept off the field. Going down the "she's screwing someone on the team" route is not where I want to go with the premise of a female MLB player, but I acknowledge the possibility a workplace romance could happen.

7) They're already going down the new manager path. What if the new manager coddles her because she's the owner's darling? Or go the other way and he's more of a hardass then the old one?

8) Teams figure out her "screwball" (it's a circle change) and she needs to change her repertoire or develop a new pitch.

9) She goes into a slump right when the Padres are about to contend for a playoff spot (Stop laughing baseball fans. Remember this is an alternate universe.)

10) There are trade rumours about her. Lots of ways to go here, maybe her team wants her to get traded because while she's a fair pitcher, her real asset is filling the stands, and they'd rather have someone better? Maybe she lets the rumours get to her head and she starts dreaming about starting somewhere else? Obviously she won't get traded in the end.

Good list. A few other things to add:

11) The obvious "big incident of sexism directed her way" and how she handles it. I know this could be an eye-roller for some, but I think the show could actually handle it well, based on the Pilot.

12) She- or one of her friends on the team- loses her motivation to play for San Diego and asks to be traded.

13) Contract negotiations! Time for Ali Latter and Mark Consuelos to really shine.

14) As a corollary to 13), she get released and struggles to find another MLB job- before the Padres decide to give her another go.

15) After she becomes a star, she tests free agency and loves getting numerous offers, forcing the Padres to add several players to eventually convince her to stay.

16) Rehab stint in the minors. You could even add a catastrophic injury here (though maybe not Tommy John surgery).

17) Heck, have her slump so bad the team demotes her anyway.

18) The manager could also decide to stick her in the bullpen for some reason.

• Love 5