Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Tara Ariano

1 hour ago, DCLeague said:

Dont sports stars stay with their agents for years?, I think Ali will have an important role in the show. With Ginny's own father dead, I can see Ali's character stepping in as a mentor.

Sure.  And they built a whole movie around the relationship between a sports star and his agent (well and a love story--Jerry McGuire.)  So it can be done.  All I'm saying is that it didn't work for me in the pilot.  I hope it gets better.

1 hour ago, Danielg342 said:

I'm not sure who was the feminist talk show host, so I'm not sure if she's just an actress or a real life talking head, but she did bring an important angle to the commentary around Ginny Baker- the feminist one- and I'm happy she actually was actually portrayed as smart and confident.

As others have said, it's Katie Nolan.  She does sports commentary and I think she's pretty terrific.  In fact, of all the cameos, I was happiest to see her.  This is one of her latest--Easy Wins.

41 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

(I could also imagine the producers worried about a backlash about the optics of a male pitcher hitting a woman ballplayer, even though I'd fully expect that to happen in real life)

Maybe.  But they weren't afraid of the ass slapping so I could see them going there.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

As others have said, it's Katie Nolan.  She does sports commentary and I think she's pretty terrific.  In fact, of all the cameos, I was happiest to see her.  This is one of her latest--Easy Wins.

I'm Canadian and don't get FS1- so that's probably why I'd never seen her before.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

But then there were the areas that made me roll my eyes and I'm not quite sure how they are going to fit.  I like Mark Consuelos well enough.  And Ali Larter.  But their interaction was strange as hell with Ali's character taking off her jacket and putting up her hair in the middle of a press conference. 

That threw me too at first, but I think it was just his fantasy. There were a lot of quick cuts between current time and past time plus shots of her father in the stands watching her pitch when we find out he's already dead, so that's how I interpreted the scene where the agent is suddenly sexy and not all business like she had been up to that point.

Edited by Quilt Fairy

Thanks everyone regarding the pitching. 
I was just more surprised that they didn't just make it a team in the AL. :) I agree - the Bullpen to Starter story makes a bit more sense, but i guess as the hurt pitcher said - people are going to figure out the circle pitch/screwball (is this their version of the knuckleball i'm wondering), so i guess that the show wanted to lessen the exposure? 

14 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I was just more surprised that they didn't just make it a team in the AL. :) I agree - the Bullpen to Starter story makes a bit more sense, but i guess as the hurt pitcher said - people are going to figure out the circle pitch/screwball (is this their version of the knuckleball i'm wondering), so i guess that the show wanted to lessen the exposure? 

The circle change is a real pitch, and a lot of very accomplished pitchers use it extensively. Cole Hamels, Zack Greinke and Marco Estrada are all known for their circle changes. Pedro Martinez was said to have one of the best circle changes ever.

In my opinion it would've made more sense to make her a knuckleballer, someone could rely on that one pitch to get them through a career, it's unlikely a pitcher could do so with the circle change. The knuckler is also not widely practiced, so a girl could conceivably get good enough at it to hold her own at the major league level while only pitching in the mid-80's.

But that also might have limited the story possibilities for the sake of realism.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 4

I am not a baseball fan ... but I really liked this show.

Kylie Bunbury is great, and I barely recognized Mark Paul Gosselaar. His character was just the right amount of cocky and hilarious. I was surprised by the dead dad, but there were SO many clues I felt dumb for not picking up on it, from him not reacting in the stands, not interacting with other characters unless it was a flashback, to her practicing pitching between games and he was "catching" and there were tons of balls around him.

I didn't get the feeling he was a ghost at all - I just assumed it was her imaging him there and what he'd do and say.

I have to say the show looked great as well, some really nice cinematography. I am also super happy that MLB is involved because I hate when they have to make up team names and pretend they're really in the MLB, so I love that they are using real teams.

I also wondered about her hitting since it was National League, and I was surprised they didn't go for an American League team to avoid that. But, I guess it opens things up for more plot ideas in future episodes.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

The circle change is a real pitch, and a lot of very accomplished pitchers use it extensively. Cole Hamels, Zach Greinke and Marco Estrada are all known for their circle changes. Pedro Martinez was said to have one of the best circle changes ever.

In my opinion it would've made more sense to make her a knuckleballer, someone could rely on that one pitch to get them through a career, it's unlikely a pitcher could do so with the circle change. It's also not widely practiced, so a girl could conceivably get good enough at it to hold her own at the major league level while only pitching in the high-80's.

Wow. I am a Toronto Blue Jays fan and I did not know that. I know Marco has his change up which he goes to a lot according to the playbyplay people, and 4 seam fastball, and sometimes the slider. but i never heard of the circle change. (unless that IS the changeup. i did warn ya'll. I'm Jon Snow of Baseball). 

and yah. I know R.A. Dickey doesn't throw a lot of heat (because of his lack of a thingy in his elbow, the ulner?) so he went to the knuckler which is like low 80s too. this way if she gets lit up or whatever it makes sense because that's the thing with the knuckleball (and it could also make MPG's character a little cranky because it takes a lot to catch a knuckleball). 

I don't think being a starting pitcher is better than being a relief pitcher. They're both important aspects of a baseball team. Anyone with starting potential would be better off in the minor Leagues throwing pitches than a relief pitcher in the majors sitting and  maybe throwing a couple innings. 

4 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Wait, so her father was dead all this time? I didn't see that twist coming.

I heard MLB was partnering with the show but I didn't realize that meant we would have to be subjected to Joe Buck. Ugh. May this be his only episode. 

Agreed on the twist coming out of nowhere and I agree x 100 about Joe Freaking Buck. I can't stand to listen to him during an actual game much less on a TV show. 

PS 

Did anyone else notice the All Star patches and billboards? That made no sense. 

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, missbonnie said:

Did anyone else notice the All Star patches and billboards? That made no sense. 

The All Star Game this year was in San Diego, so that's why there were patches and billboards.  We also don't know when this game takes place, in all likelihood it's taking place in June, so it's before the ASG.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

Anyone with starting potential would be better off in the minor Leagues throwing pitches than a relief pitcher in the majors sitting and  maybe throwing a couple innings. 

Except for the huge salary difference.......

• Love 3

I give credit to all involved for their very obvious efforts to make it as real as can be.  My favorite was the reasonable score line in her 2nd Padre game.  84 pitches in the 6th, and then we saw her with 94, two batters (I think) into the 7th.  She was not shown to  have a 1-2-3 inning.  

A very big problem, and this is one where suspension of disbelief simply has to enter into, is that her circle change would not work.  Why?  Well, it's the "change" in speed that makes that pitch effective - she does not throw the ball fast enough for a contrast that will get major league hitters.  

For sure, there have been junk ball pitchers who have fashioned careers.  But, they had several different pitches, notably curve balls, in their repertoire.  Baker was said to have only the "screw ball."  The Dodgers and Giants would each have extensive scouting reports on Baker from her minor league games.  They would all know to just sit on her weakest pitches.

The twist was too much.  We saw Dad after the first game.  There were no obvious effects which I discerned.  That was just far to much phoniness for me.  Will we later learn the first start was all a dream?  Will Bob Newhart be an interim manager? 

The other thing that was just too much was the degree to which she was isolating.  Without question, she would have had her closest friend or family with her.  Whomever she already had as close support as a super-celebrated minor leaguer (and she would have been quite the phenomenon, requiring such support) would have been accompanying her to Petco.  Even the lack of contact with Lawson before each start.  The pitching coach and Lawson, at a minimum, would have been going over the hitters she would face.  The big speech would almost certainly have been given in the 2nd pre-game meeting. 

And yes, as others have written, we did not see the historic first at-bat?!!!!!!!  Turrible miss.  Really, really, bad.

I hope like heck this show can work.  That Tony Bill is an EP is an indication that it just might, to me.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

I like MPG, but so much of the acting and writing was painful to me.  And WTF was up with the dad slapping the brother in the face to motivate her?  Not cool, Michael Beach.

Yeah that was an uncomfortable scene to watch, but maybe that was the point. I'm not sure how the show is going to address that or if they even will.

6 hours ago, Jediknight said:

The All Star Game this year was in San Diego, so that's why there were patches and billboards.  We also don't know when this game takes place, in all likelihood it's taking place in June, so it's before the ASG.

AFAIK the Padres are wearing those patches all season.

Edited by Sweets McGee
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I don't think being a starting pitcher is better than being a relief pitcher. They're both important aspects of a baseball team. Anyone with starting potential would be better off in the minor Leagues throwing pitches than a relief pitcher in the majors sitting and  maybe throwing a couple innings. 

I should clarify that I don't think it's implausible that Ginny Baker went right into the starter's role- just that I think, mainly from a narrative perspective, it would have been better to see her start in the bullpen and have her work her way up during the season. It's easy character development, at least, and lots of players- like Joba Chamberlain and Aaron Sanchez- started in the bullpen before becoming starters (the rationale being to lessen the impact of having to endure a MLB start for the first time), so it's not unprecedented.

Edited by Danielg342

Wait, so there is an actual talk show named Garbage Time and not just made up for the show. LOL

On another note, I like that they got real sports personalities in the show, as well as real TV sports channels.

(I could also imagine the producers worried about a backlash about the optics of a male pitcher hitting a woman ballplayer, even though I'd fully expect that to happen in real life)

Thats one of the dark side of baseball, its crazy pitchers can hit batters deliberately, and get away with it. No penalty or send off.

Edited by DCLeague
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

I should clarify that I don't think it's not implausible that Ginny Baker went right into the starter's role- just that I think, mainly from a narrative perspective, it would have been better to see her start in the bullpen and have her work her way up during the season. It's easy character development, at least, and lots of players- like Joba Chamberlain and Aaron Sanchez- started in the bullpen before becoming starters (the rationale being to lessen the impact of having to endure a MLB start for the first time), so it's not unprecedented.

Yeah, I think that might have been more realistic from a normal baseball standpoint, but OTOH, with the marketing opportunity of first female MLB player, you almost have to make sure she plays in the game, and the best way to do that is to have her as the scheduled starter.

• Love 7

Looks like I've entered the "I grew with MPG on TV" phase which means 25 years and thus dating me considerably.

I enjoyed it for what is was.  When it slowly became apparent that her dad was dead I was like "I already get a lot of that on Mr Robot, I don't need it here" so I hope they limit Beach's use.  However the lead whose name is escaping me is a real find.  And it helps that she's surrounded by a lot of TV talent.  Even Mark Consuelos didn't bug me much.

And here's hoping the show will be the place that will FINALLY explain to me what being put on waivers mean.

• Love 2

Baker was said to have only the "screw ball."  The Dodgers and Giants would each have extensive scouting reports on Baker from her minor league games.  They would all know to just sit on her weakest pitches.

I dont think its wise to have only "one trick in the book", she should learn more pitches as the show goes or learn to perfect them.

Edited by DCLeague
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Sweets McGee said:

Yeah, I think that might have been more realistic from a normal baseball standpoint, but OTOH, with the marketing opportunity of first female MLB player, you almost have to make sure she plays in the game, and the best way to do that is to have her as the scheduled starter.

It's why I wish they spent more time in the pilot discussing the circus surrounding her presence. Although they hinted at it, I would have liked knowing if competitiveness or marketing led to the decision to sign Ginny. The latter would help explain why she's a starter right away.

6 hours ago, arieswriting said:

I also wondered about her hitting since it was National League, and I was surprised they didn't go for an American League team to avoid that.

To have access to major league facilities, the production needed a team within range of LA, limiting them to two AL teams (Angels and Athletics) and four from the NL (Dodgers, Padres, Giants and Diamondbacks). A team offering access to their facilities would demand that their brand be used, establishing that team in its league. Major League Baseball (MLB), Fox's partner in MLB broadcasts may have made the call, or, the Padres may have been the only one of the six who accepted, or, the producers have wanted the angle of Ginny's batting and even more, her baserunning.

Chatting with the opposing infielders while on base. Breaking up the double play. Performing the hit-and-run. Sliding with a much-drilled-into-her perfect hook-slide instead of headfirst, until it comes time for her to run through her third-base coach's sign and try to barrel into the catcher. The first woman to steal a base!, and the wrath of the opposing pitcher, catcher and shortstop: if she hadn't been thrown at before...

• Love 5

I had to choose between the pilots for Notorious and Pitch.  Hmm . . . do I dislike Piper Perabo or Ali Larter more?

So glad I chose this.  Very nice.  Hang in there, Ginny!  Fooled me, ghost daddy.

I'm worried now that I've heard about the movie origin, though.  In retrospect, I thought the pilot was almost good enough and full enough to serve as the first hour of a two-hour movie.  But that means the rest of the underdog athlete story could conceivably have been wrapped up in one more hour.  

Can they maintain the pace and quality of the pilot through all the background padding and/or peripheral character storylines necessary to eke out a full season?  It's possible the writers spent two or three years writing their movie treatment and now they're trying to churn out an episode every week.

We'll see.

Edited by candall
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

It's why I wish they spent more time in the pilot discussing the circus surrounding her presence. Although they hinted at it, I would have liked knowing if competitiveness or marketing led to the decision to sign Ginny. The latter would help explain why she's a starter right away.

Yeah, some more backstory would've been nice. She's been in their minor league system for five years! And if she was so advanced to be getting a big league callup mid-season, surely she would've been in big league spring training that season, and already  met and worked with Mike Lawson. Details like that will be bug me. LOL.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Here's hoping the show will be the place that will FINALLY explain to me what being put on waivers mean.

Easiest way to explain it is that if you have a player you don't want, you have to ask other teams to take a waiver on them before you can outright release the player.

Yeah that was an uncomfortable scene to watch, but maybe that was the point. I'm not sure how the show is going to address that or if they even will.

I think they will. I think that Michael Jackson reference was there for a reason (the biggest person the driver had driven previously). Joe Jackson was driven and abused his kids to get them to be perfect. In that scene, the father abused both of his children to get one of his children to do something (abused his son physically and his daughter mentally). She's going to be messed up by his relentless techniques and her brother is going to be a mess due to the neglect (he's just a tool in his sister's training). And now the father isn't even here to yell at. Everybody needs therapy. 

The father dedicated his life to his daughter and helped her to get to where she is. He also stopped her from having a life and gave his son every indication that he didn't matter. There is a lot to chew on there.

I liked the actors in this and the cinematography was fantastic.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Pallas said:

To have access to major league facilities, the production needed a team within range of LA, limiting them to two AL teams (Angels and Athletics) and four from the NL (Dodgers, Padres, Giants and Diamondbacks). A team offering access to their facilities would demand that their brand be used, establishing that team in its league. Major League Baseball (MLB), Fox's partner in MLB broadcasts may have made the call, or, the Padres may have been the only one of the six who accepted, or, the producers have wanted the angle of Ginny's batting and even more, her baserunning.

Also, they had to choose a team that wasn't that great because they'll want to do a clawing to a winning record story, and the Dodgers and Giants are World Series contenders every year.  With the Angels people will be wanting to know if Mike Trout is going to show up.  The Padres aren't a team in playoff contention, they don't have a big name star, and using them allows them to use the Dodgers and Giants more.

They could have tried the American League and maybe used the Rays to get to use the Yankees and Red Sox, but that would mean shooting in their depressing stadium, and I think to sell out a game there you'd have to have Ruth, Mantle, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Willie Mays, and Hank Aaron in their primes, all in one game.  And even then that's no guarantee thanks to the stadium's horrible location.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 2

Huge baseball fan here (go Jays go!), and I am pretty excited about this show. I thought the first episode was pretty good, and I like that MLB is fully behind the show, so that they can depict real teams instead of made up ones. Looking forward to seeing what other MLB figures appear in cameos as the season goes on.

I think this show will be just the thing to tide me over once this baseball season is over and I'm waiting an eternity for the next one to start. 

• Love 2

Petco is a really pretty park in downtown so it adds some scenery with the bay, the coronado bridge and the high rises.  Plus filming in San Diego allows for winter filming to still looking like Spring/Summer.  They had an early showing before the game wednesday and you could stay after the game on Thursday and watch it on the big screen.  We were also playing the Giants so it coincided nicely.  

• Love 3

Wow the dad is dead. I was surprised about the dead father, but that did explain why he never reacted. 

Loved Mark Paul's character.

They really put in a lot of effort and money in this pilot you could see that. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

I was surprised about the dead father, but that did explain why he never reacted. 

He never reacted when he was alive, either! The visions were Ginny's projection of him, but I think that was the point. She loved him, he was the most important person in her life, he gave her an entire world that she inhabited almost solely with him, but never gave her his approval.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Daisy said:

Hitting  isn't a skill women couldn't do proficiently due to physicality.   

7 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Here's hoping the show will be the place that will FINALLY explain to me what being put on waivers mean.

Easiest way to explain it is that if you have a player you don't want, you have to ask other teams to take a waiver on them before you can outright release the player.

I understand the general principle -- it just gets a little confusing once they start rescinding waiver requests. I don't imagine a TV show will get **inside baseball** (wink, wink)

Its the Sixth Sense, Rookie of the Year addition!

I really liked this, and I am thrilled because this was one of the pilots that I was looking forward to the most. I am a long time baseball fan (Cubs for life! This is our year damn it!), and I love looking at the sport through more of a feminist lens, with the typical sports movie stuff, and the dad/daughter drama. I did not at all see the dad being dead twist coming. Looking forward to seeing the rest of her family, especially her brother. Considering dad clearly prioritized Ginny, and even smacked him around to help motivate her, at least once, and he originally seemed to expect him to be the athlete, and not Ginny, there has got to be some issues there. 

Like the supporting characters so far, especially Mark Pauls character. A lot of reviews noted him as a standout, and I agree. As of now, I do not see any romantic chemistry between the two of them at all. I can see more of a mentor/mentee thing right now, but who knows? 

• Love 5

So, I follow Mark Paul on Instsgram somewhat and saw him posting pictures of him in baseball gear. I assumed it was for some movie. Last night I was flipping through the channels and saw "Pitch" thinking it was a singing show. I read the description and the light bulb went off that this is what he was promoting on Instagram.

Anyhow, I hate baseball. Really, it's so dull to watch! I'm a sucker for sports movies though and this was no exception! Loved it! Not sure yet about the Ali and Mark Consuelos characters but that was the only downside. I started getting a hunch that the dad might be dead but I was still surprised when it turned out he was! 

I also have a soft spot for Colin Cowherd so I enjoyed his inclusion in the pilot. Had no idea Joe Buck called baseball games too! 

Dumb question..... Is this based off a true character?

I'm in! Hopefully the ratings will improve!

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

No matter what they do, there is a leap of faith required when depicting a woman capable of throwing a baseball that fast. No woman has ever thrown 90 mph (the top speed is much closer to 80 mph), and guys who throw just 90 mph are considered soft-tossers. Guys who throw just 80 mph have been phased out of baseball. So this is not "a true story on the verge of becoming reality," or whatever other bullshit the promos feed us.

That said, it doesn't have to be realistic to be watchable. This is a fantasy show, and should be judged as such. I do wish they had made the woman play second base instead of pitch (seems more plausible), but I understand why pitching is more fun to depict.

I was really referring more to the realism of the broadcast and gameplay look than the realism of a woman non-knuckleball pitcher starting in a major league game, especially at those velocities.  That being said, I do wonder how hard some elite woman athlete (lets say Serena Williams) could throw if she had decided, from the beginning, to play baseball.  I doubt that the best women athletes are playing baseball, depressing the top velocities, because -- why would they when that's not the path to college scholarships or lucrative professional careers?

1 minute ago, Mountainair said:

Dumb question..... Is this based off a true character?

I think it is likely inspired by Mo'ne Davis

• Love 7

I like the lead actress, and Mark Paul G is always great.  I'll watch another one.   I'm curious about how it was filmed at the ballpark, and if they ever go on the road.   I could have done without Mark Consuelos.   Bob Balaban is a gem, but the clubhouse scenes are a complete waste of time for me.  I suppose they're cheaper to film.   The moral of the story is, wear your seat belt,  so you don't end up going through the windshield.  I didn't think the hole in the windshield was actually big enough for her dad anyway.   I'm also curious about her brother.  They have a lot of places to go with this story, but I don't like flashbacks that much.  Shows have gone crazy, or tried to drive the viewers crazy with flashbacks lately. 

43 minutes ago, heatherkay said:

I was really referring more to the realism of the broadcast and gameplay look than the realism of a woman non-knuckleball pitcher starting in a major league game, especially at those velocities.  That being said, I do wonder how hard some elite woman athlete (lets say Serena Williams) could throw if she had decided, from the beginning, to play baseball.  I doubt that the best women athletes are playing baseball, depressing the top velocities, because -- why would they when that's not the path to college scholarships or lucrative professional careers?

I think it is likely inspired by Mo'ne Davis

And Mo'ne Davis has chosen basketball as her primary sport and aspires to be in the WNBA, which underlines the point made in your first paragraph.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Sweets McGee said:

And Mo'ne Davis has chosen basketball as her primary sport and aspires to be in the WNBA, which underlines the point made in your first paragraph.

Exactly. And, honestly, you can't tell me that there isn't one woman in the world who is more athletic than Tim Lincecum.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

No matter what they do, there is a leap of faith required when depicting a woman capable of throwing a baseball that fast. No woman has ever thrown 90 mph (the top speed is much closer to 80 mph), and guys who throw just 90 mph are considered soft-tossers. Guys who throw just 80 mph have been phased out of baseball. So this is not "a true story on the verge of becoming reality," or whatever other bullshit the promos feed us.

Her dad (while still alive) said that there was no way she was going to pitch over 80 ("It's biology").  That's why he taught and drilled her on the special pitch.

19 hours ago, Jediknight said:

So don't worry, it's just the relationship between Catcher and Pitcher.

I thought you said it wasn't going to be sexual...

I really liked it.  Kylie Bunbury is beautiful and, as noted, has the charisma and the chops to pull off the lead role. And the rest of the cast is awesome as well.

• Love 7

Someone up thread mentioned that she should have been familiar with MPG's character if she went to Spring Training, but that may not be the case if she wasn't yet invited to Major League Camp.

So she was probably at Spring Training in Minor League Camp.

Plus something else I noticed while in the SUV on the way to the park they had Matt Vasgersian reporting from the MLB Tonight set, which is kinda odd since he's usually the morning show host for MLB Central/Hot Stove (when not in season) and is probably in bed when that show is on (when he isn't subbing for Bob Costas in the booth)

Edited by jennifer6973

Tom87:  "Hitting  isn't a skill women couldn't do proficiently due to physicality."   Oh, really?  

Maybe a woman her size can't hit like Big Papi or even like Bumgarner, but neither do most pitchers.  If she can get down a bunt from time to time when it's called for, they'll be happy.

This show reminds be of "Designated Survivor."  You have a lead character trying to fit into an unusual and difficult situation, facing lots of opposition from inside and out.  How will they overcome this and persevere?  Sure, both situations require a certain "willing suspension of disbelief," but they're fictional works, not documentaries. 

• Love 10

I was surprised about the dead father, but that did explain why he never reacted. 

He was never going to react until she had won big league championships and become an all star champion. 

Like he used to say "She aint done nothing yet" 

He never reacted when he was alive, either! 

Exactly LOL, he wanted big things for her not just one single game win

Edited by DCLeague
  • Love 1

Holy shit, you guys. I was saying "I love this Lawson guy! Wow, he looks familiar. I should look up who plays him." I came here first. Mark Paul Gosselar?! I nearly pooped on the spot. Unreal. He looks so different. Yet familiar, like I said. 

• Love 5