Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

What I really resented about that whole case was that Daddy said, "He said he didn't do it and I'm going with that".  Sorry, Charlie, children LIE.  Teenagers LIE.  Adults LIE.  Your kid is lying to you.  This is the base of "helicoptering parenting" and creating special snowflakes.  You can't just say "My kid all the way!", when it maybe isn't true.

• Love 7

Judy lives in Naples FL and has for a long time.  

Judy rules on the case in front of her, not the defendant's history with the neighborhood.  The ball dropped into her yard and he asked for it back. She refused.  His ball.  Give it back.  The woman cannot refuse to give him his property because she is pissed at the neighborhood.  As for the car damage, sounded high to me, too.  Since the TV show pays the settlements, it was a lesson for the boy, hopefully.  Ah, who am I kidding, they never would have paid for that damage!  They were lucky this case was chosen for JJ.  Shifty bunch, of course!  

• Love 1

The ball dropped into her yard and he asked for it back. She refused.

As I understood the case, the kid left his ball in her yard and went away and came back later. The plaintiff said that she had a collection of balls (and other stuff and trash) that had been left in her yard, and she didn't even know which one was his. I may have misunderstood the case.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Judy lives in Naples FL and has for a long time. 

One of several of her homes but the point I was attempting to make (not well, apparently lol) was that she has houses in neighborhoods where you wouldn't typically find a bunch of kids outside playing on the street.  Greenwich is affluent enough not have neighbors and Park Avenue has no *street*

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

One of several of her homes but the point I was attempting to make (not well, apparently lol) was that she has houses in neighborhoods where you wouldn't typically find a bunch of kids outside playing on the street.  Greenwich is affluent enough not have neighbors and Park Avenue has no *street*

Yes, I got your point. :^)  

• Love 2

Poor, sad Lashapale with the thieving mother.   I gave up trying to figure out her story, because she really couldn't express a coherent thought, even without the tears.  But yeah, I'm pretty sure mom was masquerading as Lashapale.  

• Love 10

I just want to give Lashapale Copes a hug. That poor young lady. How sad that she said she just wants her mother to start being the mother she's supposed to be. Sadly, her mother doesn't connect with that realm, and she won't ever meet that expectation. Her mother's evil eye, eye-rolling, and stankface were sickening. And then her comment in the hallterview about "letting her" move in when she was 17 -- what a dirtbag. I'm not even all that mad at Lashapale's stepmom for her creative Section 8 situation. This case really hit me.

• Love 17

You can't get personally involved in situations such as Lashapale's when you're counseling clients.

That being said, if she were in my presence I'd give her such a tight hug, probably slip her a few bucks and ask her if she'd like to come live with us. 

As far as I'm concerned that beast of a "mother" could get hit by a bus and I don't think I'd take the effort to immediately dial 911 on my phone.  Maybe when I got back to my office.  Maybe.

I feel bad for the young lady, but the best thing that could happen is for her to move on and forget the woman that gave birth to her.  She hasn't been a good mother. She will never be a good mother.  Move on, surround yourself with the most supportive people you can and stop grieving for something that woman will never be able to provide.  As much as I think he lays it on thick, Dr. Phil is so right when he tells people looking to keep or save or create toxic relationships, "he/she can't give you what he /she doesn't have."  

• Love 13

JJ was so sympathetic -- "You had me at hello" -- wow.  For once, a litigant wasn't faking tears.  That poor kid.  We can hope she gets some help to repair her credit.  Like she said, it's your life. 

Not a good day for moms -- the asthmatic/COPD/alcoholic mom was another piece of work.  I had a brief moment of sympathy when it looked like JJ was going after her just because she was getting SSA disability.  But then it looked like she was trying to hide assets -- and using her daughter to do it -- so the State would continue to pay for her rehab.  smh

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Quof said:

Poor, sad Lashapale with the thieving mother.   I gave up trying to figure out her story, because she really couldn't express a coherent thought, even without the tears.  But yeah, I'm pretty sure mom was masquerading as Lashapale.  

Just the body language of the DNA contributor in the first minute told me everything I need to know about her.

• Love 12

OMG this guy is such an idiot. A car loan is a car loan whether you go through a bank or let the dealership con you into their financing. And a loan is not a gift just because your friend agreed to help you out.

• Love 8

Ms. Copes the younger was very sympathetic, and her egg donor clearly used her identity.  However the familial tradition of living on other people's money is strong. Stepmom, with whom she lived, and who raised her, has morphed into her landlord and now collects $900 a month of Byrd's money. 

• Love 6

Thought my eyes would roll out of my head when COPD Rehab Repeater was appalled that JJ dared suggest she use her disability settlement for her continuous trips to rehab; "That's for my retirement!" Um...nope.  First, you haven't worked in years so aren't you "retired" now? Second, I doubt you earned that much retirement credit from any job(s) you held 20+ years ago.  Third, that settlement money came from a government system, which is funded by taxpayers just like the welfare you received for many years. 

If I had $18k in the bank and needed to go to the hospital/rehab, I can't claim "save-sies!" on that money.  It can't be ear-marked for other future uses if the funds are needed now to pay bills.  I can't say "Sorry, Cable Co, Gas Co, Dr., Dentist, Landlord.  I just don't have the cash to pay you! I'm a poor unemployed disabled person."  "But you have several thousand dollars from a (questionable) disability settlement, no?  Surely you can pay something toward the bills you rack up each month."  "Oh, goodness!  That money is MINE! For when I'm old! I can't possibly use that money to pay you for services rendered!  Let me get Byrd and the other tax paying saps on the phone to see if they'll cover my expenses until I'm ready to retire."  Which is exactly why she was trying to hide the money by using her daughter as an accomplice.  If it can't be detected, she can defraud the government and her creditors for the rest of her life.

And much side eye to this scammer's "Very Best Friend" sitting behind her.  I think she mispronounced "My Drinking Buddy".

Edited by BusyOctober
typos
  • Love 21
12 hours ago, shksabelle said:

Stepmom, with whom she lived, and who raised her, has morphed into her landlord and now collects $900 a month of Byrd's money. 

I got no problem at all with this. That poor girl needs a safe place to live and it looks like the mother in law can provide that. She has destroyed credit thanks to that piece of shit "mother" of hers and would never be able to get her own place. She'd qualify for Section 8 because of her impoverished status anyway - so why not give the money to someone who's there to support her instead of another landlord who wouldn't be? 

Lashapale's "mother" certainly ranks up there in the Top 5 of the most awful human beings who've ever appeared on this show. 

12 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Not a good day for moms -- the asthmatic/COPD/alcoholic mom was another piece of work.  I had a brief moment of sympathy when it looked like JJ was going after her just because she was getting SSA disability.  But then it looked like she was trying to hide assets -- and using her daughter to do it -- so the State would continue to pay for her rehab.  smh

That's the page I was on with this one, too. I was not feeling the disability shaming at the beginning because, frankly, that woman is so far gone at this point in her life ain't no coming back. But then the whole hiding the money came out and I was like, yeah whatever, go for it, Judy. And yet again, another hallterview where someone suing their own child for money turns on the waterworks and claims "this wasn't about the money." Well, if it wasn't, what are you doing there?!

I think most of my ire was reserved for Middle-Aged Barbie suing the kid for not paying her "food" bill in Hawaii. I wasn't paying attention at the beginning of the case, so I'm not sure why the Defendant went on that trip in the first place, but that too-cute-for-school mommy (who strikes me as the type who competes with her daughter for the attention of her daughter's male friends) was being a vindictive bitch to that girl who clearly wasn't in the same economic stratus she inhabited. I'm sure she could have well afforded to eat the $300 she was suing for and just chalked it up to "well, maybe I'll think better of doing something like this in the future," but no -- had to prove a point to her privileged daughter I guess. Or maybe I was just reading that case all wrong since I was completely sympathizing with the Defendant anyway.  

42 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I got no problem at all with this. That poor girl needs a safe place to live and it looks like the mother in law can provide that. She has destroyed credit thanks to that piece of shit "mother" of hers and would never be able to get her own place. She'd qualify for Section 8 because of her impoverished status anyway - so why not give the money to someone who's there to support her instead of another landlord who wouldn't be? 

Agreed. it's not like its free to house somebody. The fact that the step-mother took a hit for years caring for this young woman when she was too young to support herself is admirable but that doesn't change the fact that having someone else in your house costs money.

I think most of my ire was reserved for Middle-Aged Barbie suing the kid for not paying her "food" bill in Hawaii. I wasn't paying attention at the beginning of the case, so I'm not sure why the Defendant went on that trip in the first place, but that too-cute-for-school mommy (who strikes me as the type who competes with her daughter for the attention of her daughter's male friends) was being a vindictive bitch to that girl who clearly wasn't in the same economic stratus she inhabited. I'm sure she could have well afforded to eat the $300 she was suing for and just chalked it up to "well, maybe I'll think better of doing something like this in the future," but no -- had to prove a point to her privileged daughter I guess. Or maybe I was just reading that case all wrong since I was completely sympathizing with the Defendant anyway.  

Everything about that case made my eye twitch. It's pretty clear the Plaintiff's daughter said something nasty about the Defendant's mom and also made a point of making the Defendant feel "poor." I do agree that people should pay their own way but there comes a point where you start nickel and diming someone. I imagine that Defendant spent the trip hearing about how they were missing out on fancy dinners out because she couldn't afford it and being made to feel guilty about it. I just felt for the Defendant who didn't try to argue too much but did rightly feel like some of the things she was asking to pay back were inflated. When she pointed out that she didn't spend $25 at one restaurant I can just imagine her ordering the cheapest thing on the menu because she knew it was the only way to make her money last and the Mom taking the total bill and just splitting it however many ways.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, vibeology said:

Everything about that case made my eye twitch. It's pretty clear the Plaintiff's daughter said something nasty about the Defendant's mom and also made a point of making the Defendant feel "poor." I do agree that people should pay their own way but there comes a point where you start nickel and diming someone. I imagine that Defendant spent the trip hearing about how they were missing out on fancy dinners out because she couldn't afford it and being made to feel guilty about it. I just felt for the Defendant who didn't try to argue too much but did rightly feel like some of the things she was asking to pay back were inflated. When she pointed out that she didn't spend $25 at one restaurant I can just imagine her ordering the cheapest thing on the menu because she knew it was the only way to make her money last and the Mom taking the total bill and just splitting it however many ways.

Yes, the way the mom made a point of saying how she brought groceries so they wouldn't have to go out to eat was horrid. That is what you do when you invite a guest somewhere. We took our daughter's friends with us to Disney and included the meal plans for everyone in the price of the trip so that food would all be paid for.  We still ended up paying for two character meals - which we told them about, but the girls underestimated how much money to bring.  Or maybe we didn't explain ourselves well.  Either way, we had two choices - pay for the difference or not do it at all.  We made the decision to bring someone else with us and if we are doing something above their budget, since they are our GUESTS, I believe it is is my problem, not theirs.  If you want a vacation where you want do exactly what you want, that is perfectly fine, but don't invite anyone else along.  

$300 is not enough spending money for 7 days in Hawaii, but the mom should have made sure that the girl knew that before going.  If mom didn't make that clear, then she should just suck it up and pay for it.  The dolphin thing they mentioned was very expensive but the girl didn't really have much choice in that.  Something tells they would have gone  without her if mom didn't give her money.  Or worse, not go and make her feel really bad about them not going.

We learned from our experience that if we invite guests again, we will ask for the guest going upfront for all money, including every meal, extra excursions, etc., that we think they will need.  Easier for us to budget.

Edited by ElleMo
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, vibeology said:

got no problem at all with this. That poor girl needs a safe place to live and it looks like the mother in law can provide that. She has destroyed credit thanks to that piece of shit "mother" of hers and would never be able to get her own place. She'd qualify for Section 8 because of her impoverished status anyway - so why not give the money to someone who's there to support her instead of another landlord who wouldn't be? 

4 hours ago, vibeology said:

Agreed. it's not like its free to house somebody. The fact that the step-mother took a hit for years caring for this young woman when she was too young to support herself is admirable but that doesn't change the fact that having someone else in your house costs money.

Sometime the mere mention of Section 8 appears to translate into scam.  The young lady mentioned that where they live, in northern CA, has very expensive rental cost. 

Edited by momtoall
Spelling is important
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

ITA.  And we can see Middle-Aged Barbie reliving her JJ experience for the next ten years, with friends, drinking mimosas next to the pool.  JJ's courtroom was probably the closest she's ever been to "regular people".  I wonder if she realizes how petty she looks.  I'm sympathetic to people who sue because they actually need the money to repair some actual harm, but to sue to punish someone for Un-friending your kid on Facebook? 

• Love 10

"Don't prey on my child!, don't prey on my child; apologize to my child".  Your "child" is a grown-ass drug addict and it's time to stop being a helicopter mom to an adult woman.  Daughter dear was devious enough to try to sell property to get drug money and you should be blubbering about that instead of a broken down shed.  

The defendant was nicer than I would be - she said sorry.  I would have given that loud-mouth a rousing "kiss my ass".

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 11

The Hansel-Hartsel (sp?) case confused the hell out of me.  Defendants had once been married but are now divorced?  Or they're together, and it's a blended family? 

Plaintiff's son had been in jail for five years and was behind on child support.  Plaintiff had given defendant -- who had custody of plaintiff's grandchildren -- some money ($2100) for rent or mortgage, and that money was supposed to be credited to plaintiff's son's back child support.

So what was plaintiff suing for?  I was so disgusted with the whole mess, I FF'd.

I swear, too many more of these cases where kids are pawns, or where they're moving back and forth from one parent (or grandparent) to another, or where they end up being schemers and users, and I'll become a conservative, longing for the good old days when people who got married stayed married and put on a good show for the kids.  Yeah, I know, in most of those marriages the kids weren't fooled, but at least there was some level of security and stability. 

• Love 5
On 2/13/2017 at 4:03 PM, BusyOctober said:

I feel bad for the young lady, but the best thing that could happen is for her to move on and forget the woman that gave birth to her.  She hasn't been a good mother. She will never be a good mother.  Move on, surround yourself with the most supportive people you can and stop grieving for something that woman will never be able to provide.  As much as I think he lays it on thick, Dr. Phil is so right when he tells people looking to keep or save or create toxic relationships, "he/she can't give you what he /she doesn't have."  

I got the impression this is exactly what she is doing.  She will have nothing to do with her mother from now on.  She said she wanted to try living with her mom, basically.  She did and it didn't work out well! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Can somebody explain the child support case to me in terms of one syllable?  Were the two men a former couple with children together?  I didn't understand a thing about it.

Hentzel suing Hansel and... I had a hard time figuring this out but plaintiff's no-good son, Hentzel,  was married to the now-Mrs. Hansel, or maybe the former Mrs.Hentzel who is now preggo for some reason. Okay, I don't have a clue either. All I got was that plaintiff's son is a 37 year old deadbeat she will defend to her death. It's not his fault he didn't pay his child support. He went to jail for five years! Couldn't be helped and I'm pretty sure he was set up because he's a good boy. He owns his own business, trimming trees. Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's like the two guys with chain saws to came to my door offering to chop down my trees after an ice storm.  Whatever. All these people seemed fairly ghastly.

• Love 6

I also found Barbie and Skipper (TM Arejay) annoying.  A few years ago I took my niece and her friend from college to DisneyWorld.  The friend had spending money and bought her own park ticket, but there were times when I paid for the meal and other incidentals.  I didn't keep track of every penny I spent so that I could ask her for the money after we got home.  My rationale is I have a good paying job so I can afford to be a little generous when on vacation so everyone has a good time and there's no worries about counting pennies.  I'm sure the $300 isn't going to make or break Barbie.  An interesting twist to the case would have been if defendant hadn't turned 18 yet and JJ ruled she couldn't contract to promise to pay Barbie back.

My backstory on the friendship break up is Skipper went away to college and is now involved with sorority friends, leaving defendant in her old friend circle.  Defendant stayed home to go to CC and isn't part of the sorority gang.  

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, wallysmommy said:

I also found Barbie and Skipper (TM Arejay) annoying.  A few years ago I took my niece and her friend from college to DisneyWorld.  The friend had spending money and bought her own park ticket, but there were times when I paid for the meal and other incidentals.  I didn't keep track of every penny I spent so that I could ask her for the money after we got home.  My rationale is I have a good paying job so I can afford to be a little generous when on vacation so everyone has a good time and there's no worries about counting pennies.  I'm sure the $300 isn't going to make or break Barbie.  An interesting twist to the case would have been if defendant hadn't turned 18 yet and JJ ruled she couldn't contract to promise to pay Barbie back.

My backstory on the friendship break up is Skipper went away to college and is now involved with sorority friends, leaving defendant in her old friend circle.  Defendant stayed home to go to CC and isn't part of the sorority gang.  

The price for a day ticket to Disneyland is now $120.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I got the impression this is exactly what she is doing.  She will have nothing to do with her mother from now on.  She said she wanted to try living with her mom, basically.  She did and it didn't work out well! 

The mother did time for identity theft. Was it for stealing the daughter's ID or someone elses?

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, iwasish said:

The mother did time for identity theft. Was it for stealing the daughter's ID or someone elses?

I think I remember that in the beginning of the case, she said that she had been charged with that three times. And she said it with full IDGAF 'tude. Who knows if she was low-balling it by saying three. So, maybe there are several victims in addition to her daughter. 

• Love 4

Good time to get pregnant with another baby when you've already lost your home because those two daddies can't afford to pay for the kids they already have, Gretel Hansel or whatever your name is.  Has contraception become a lost art?

We also had a case where two really little kids (5 to 7) crashed an ATV into a neighbor's garage, destroying the garage door and damaging the car parked inside.  Then Daddy rushed up and whisked them away from the scene of the crime (and got rid of the ATV before the cops came).  The man whose property was wrecked seemed like a genuinely kind person--much more compassionate than I would've been under the same circumstances--and his first instinct was to run out and make sure the kids were okay.  Victim was white, kids and Daddy were black.  Of all the litigants who've richly deserved to have the "racist" accusation pulled on them and didn't get righteously tagged with it, this man for sure did not deserve to have that pulled on him in the hallterview.  Kids' daddy was a weasel.  Super cheap shot.

• Love 10

As a resident of Hawaii... $300 is not enough spending money for 10 days.  Groceries are expensive.  Gallon of milk $5.20, cheap bread $3, cheese is scary.

But like you've all said if we take an extra kid I just assume I'm paying.  Hell I've fed the entire robotics team multiple times so that everyone ate at competition.  I'm in a place to do that, some of the kids didn't have $$$ for lunch.

I couldn't figure out the child support case either I assumed it was the woman's kid but she kept letting the guy talk and didn't tell him to butt out. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, califred said:

I couldn't figure out the child support case either I assumed it was the woman's kid but she kept letting the guy talk and didn't tell him to butt out. 

Yeah, this. Usually JJ tells them to sit their ass down because they don't have anything to do with it.  The pregnant x-whatever didn't look too bright though so I think he handled everything. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

JJ is about to laugh right in the broken-down shed plaintiff's face, and I don't blame her. Who asks for four grand for some raggedy storage shed that maybe cost a hundred bucks to put up when it was brand new?

Oh, boy! That pig was a real winner! Did anyone else catch the quick cut of the drug addict daughter pulling a face at the Defendant in the hallterview? She wanted her apology! And how would the Defendant know that druggie daughter was strung out? Was she supposed to ask her to take a pee test before she turned over the rickety shed? 

My favorite line though: 

JJ: When did you leave the house?

Pig: August 2016.

JJ? Why? 

Pig: Too many memories of my [dead] mother. It was too painful.

JJ: Was the house condemned? 

PIG: Durrrrrr....

JJ: WAS THE HOUSE CONDEMNED?

Pig: Yes.

I had to rewind this interaction twice! Comedy gold. 

11 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Nobody take advantage of my child when she's dope-sick!  Nobody!!!!

Betcha a million bucks the pig has drug issues of her own. She was probably mad the daughter kept the $75 worth of oxys for herself. 

9 hours ago, califred said:

Here is my understanding of the case:

It was the stepdad, not the mom, who approached the kids' dad and then the grandma about the money; that is why he spoke to JJ and not the mom.

I got the feeling that they were tight for money and he felt it was time for the dad to support his kids; I don't disagree, but it was a strange setup.  

The dad is not supposed to pay support directly to the mom but through an agency. That's what ends up happening when you are thousands of dollars behind.  So grandmom probably expected her ex-con son to be off the hook for several months.  But mom & dad don't have control over that and grandma got annoyed and sued.  Son/ Kids' father didn't bother to show up.

The relationship between mom and stepdad was more confusing.  If I heard the ages of the kids right, the defendant's kids were older so defendants were married and had kids;  then divorced and she married plaintiff's son. Now defendants are back together and having another kid????

Edited by ElleMo
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, ElleMo said:

The relationship between mom and stepdad was more confusing.  If I heard the ages of the kids right, the defendant's kids were older so defendants were married and had kids;  then divorced and she married plaintiff's son. Now defendants are back together and having another kid????

I had the understanding that she had two kids with the plaintiff's son and then married co-defendant and had two kids.  They got divorced but still had a third child on the way and were living together.  I had that feeling because they were describing the kid who stayed with plaintiff as an older kid who was using drugs.  A very sad story all around and too many kids made by less than exemplary parents.  The plaintiff's ex-con son had another older kid they mentioned as living with plaintiff and also using drugs.

Or maybe I misunderstood that last part and she was referring just to the bad father.

Edited by GussieK