Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

Call yourself good at math when you can use basic calculus

Like a good number of people, Judy calls "math" what is really arithmetic, and is probably as closed to the distinction as many people I know.  Even in simple calculations she sometimes goes ahead of herself and loses a piece here and there as she tries to catch a litigant in an error.

1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

tensor calculus

Tensors... ah, good times (physics graduate here).

12 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

Tensors... ah, good times (physics graduate here).

I went in for my weekly allergy shot last Thursday.  After the shot, they make you sit in the waiting room for 20 minutes to make sure you're not going to go into anaphylactic shock. 

I was sitting there crocheting and a gentleman of about 60 sat down next to me and pulled out a paperback book entitled "Quantum Physics."  I said, "Wow.  What a great title for a novel.  It makes people think the reader is really smart when they are seen reading that book!"

He smiled and me and said, "Well, it actually IS a book about quantum physics."

"Oh . . . well I think I'm going to go home and start writing a novel about a quirky young woman who is secretly in love with a handsome physicist.  I already have a title in mind."  

LOL.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 2

I want the first copy!  Too funny.  I missed LaTrae's case - what the heck was HE suing for???  He was the PLAINTIFF? 

I agree, Angela, that we need better litigants. Sometimes it's fun to laugh and snark on these weirdos, but every now and then, it's almost horrifying.  Maybe we should start perusing our own local small claims court and submitting our own suggestions!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SandyToes said:

I want the first copy!  Too funny.  I missed LaTrae's case - what the heck was HE suing for???  He was the PLAINTIFF? 

Unusual JJ case (that is if I'm remembering the right one - sometimes litigants get blurred in my mind). The oddity here is that, according to LaTrae, both he and his God-dad have jobs. Anyway, as I remember it, neither of these two outstanding - employed - gentleman had valid licences - but he HAD to drive to get to work. Good friend defendant borrows the car, has an accident, car is totaled. LaTrae is going to work on it, or maybe just keep it for parts... but for some odd reason his apartment complex management frowns on storing junkers in the parking lot - so the good friend who wrecked the car has it towed to his mommy's house. Good friend, GF, actually IS a good friend - he steps up and pays LaTrae what the junker is worth when he wrecked it.... well, maybe - it's one of those "I'll give you a couple hundred every time I get a paycheck when I can" deals. Anyway, according to him he actually pays more than the KBB. 6 months go by, good friend's mom is tired of having this broken down junker at her place, tells GF to get it off her property. GF sells it for parts - which JJ has trouble believing - how can GF sell a car with no title? Ok, enough backstory... as I understood it, LaTrae sued for 3 times what the car is worth - even though GF paid him something - nobody knows how much was paid, not even GF. GF admits he was paid $300 by the guy looking for parts, so that's what JJ rules he owes... LaTrae can't believe the miscarriage of justice - after all GF stole his car and sold it. He's one of those litigants who is shouting "BUT, YOUR HONOR" as JJ is leaving, and she turns back 2-3 times "WE ARE DONE, GOODBYE!!!" Hmmmm, come to think of it, I'm not sure WTH LaTrae was suing for ?

1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

Anyway, according to him he actually pays more than the KBB. 6 months go by, good friend's mom is tired of having this broken down junker at her place, tells GF to get it off her property. GF sells it for parts - which JJ has trouble believing - how can GF sell a car with no title? 

I know someone who owns a business in another state.  They have a HUGE parking lot, and people frequently dump stuff in their lot because the business is only open on weekends.  They frequently come in Friday Morning to find junk left behind.  It's difficult to install security cameras, so they're asking the cops and neighbors to be vigilant.  Someone dropped a car and a boat trailer, both with VIN and plates stripped off.  They were told that if they're going to salvage, and if the fire department comes and renders them unusable by cutting them, then they're free to sell them as they're considered abandoned.  So it's possible - the laws vary from state to state.

Suing your own kid, who is doing okay, not in trouble, etc., when you CLEARLY are not hurting for the money, is really a low thing to do.

Yeah, good luck getting him to answer your texts now, “mom”.  Oh, and she absolutely didn’t want him living with the dad.

Edited by ButYourHonor
Typo
  • Love 6

Poor JJ. She was shocked that the irritating little shit, Holland, had no idea of the meaning of "subsequent" or "exclusive."  It's sad, but hardly shocking anymore.  Okay, maybe his vocabulary is limited and his grammar not so hot, but I bet he can navigate FB and Twitter and all that shit like a champ. Who needs to know the meaning of words when you use only text-speak?

2 hours ago, ButYourHonor said:

Suing your own kid, who is doing okay, not in trouble, etc., when you CLEARLY are not hurting for the money, is really a low thing to do.

I think all this buying of cars for her boys is a control thing, something she holds over their heads. "Be good boys, stay home with Mommy and do as I say, or else." Woman seemed to have a loose screw somewhere, with all the big smiles at this situation. It's not like he's some bum and she gave him money to pay his bail or child support, like most of the other parents we see here. She should be thrilled at how well he's doing and be happy to let him keep the money. Nutty bitch.

• Love 4
On 1/23/2018 at 5:38 PM, DoctorK said:

She is pretty good at arithmetic, but gets lost on anything deeper. It annoys me when people claim to be good at "math" when they display a minimal competence with adding and subtracting. Call yourself good at math when you can use basic calculus (I hit my wall at tensor calculus, I just didn't have the ability to use it; fortunately my field didn't require it, I just had to fake it through my comprehensives).

When I screw up basic calculations I tell people "I majored in math, not arithmetic" :) Numerically dyslexic (there's a term, I just don't remember it). But once it hits the abstract level, I'm all in.

4 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I think you mean "innumerate," like "illiterate" but with math stuff.

I wouldn't know what the abstract level even looks like.

I think that's when you just can't do arithmetic. I can do it, I just switch numbers around like a dyslexic does with letters.

• Love 1

There have been books and articles dealing with the impact on society of the phenomenon of innumeracy in a large portion of the population, i.e. the ignorance of mathematical concepts or the inability to apply them (including simple arithmetic).

The plaintiff that was ignorant of some basic vocabulary might have a case to sue the US school system. Although he does not look very bright to start with anyway, considering he got involved with the smug little git of a defendant who keyed his car and seemed very satisfied with herself, not even putting up a minimally vigorous defense.

It was refreshing to see a defendant who has his shit together, in contrast with so many litigants, despite the fact he was being sued by his controlling mother over a contested car loan. We were spared a tearful reconciliation in the hallterview (they always ring either hollow or hypocritical to me) which may be an encouraging sign that she will get her comeuppance, with her son having no more contact with her.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Man, that loser had the ladies lining up, din't he?

Run, new girlfriend, run fast and run far. But of course she won't

Well, I think she just got out of prison, so I guess even that stupid, revolting pig looked good to her.

1 hour ago, Florinaldo said:

i.e. the ignorance of mathematical concepts or the inability to apply them (including simple arithmetic).

That's me! So there's a name for it? "Innumerate?" Makes me feel so much better that I can now say, "Sorry, but I'm innumerate," rather than "Numbers make my head go all funny."

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

"

Man, that loser had the ladies lining up, din't he?

Run, new girlfriend, run fast and run far. But of course she won't

Ah, yes, and both such lovely ladies. The one, IIRC, is a health care provider specializing in care for the mentally handicapped, the other recently released from the hoosegow - which explains why she can't run away from the other jailbird - she may have an ankle bracelet or a parole officer she has to report to.

I did get a laugh when we learned that the tools she was suing for were sentimental treasures - she even named which sockets he borrowed to fix HER (evil new GF's) car. 

• Love 1

I wish JJ would ask for clarification from one of the (I assume) dozens of millennials on staff: electronic signatures ARE NOT ELECTRONIC VERSIONS OF AN ACTUAL SIGNATURE!  I've applied for jobs, 100% online, and just checked a box acknowledging that typing my name into the following field would be my "electronic signature."  I could have submitted something under the name of Daffy Duck, and the system would believe that Daffy Duck had submitted a signature, not I.  That poor girl should try her luck on People's Court: Judge Marilyn would actually look at the actual, 21st century evidence, instead of burying her head in the sand of 1980s technology.  And if Judge Marilyn didn't understand, she would have researched it beyond asking another non-techie.  The plaintiff did everything she could, but JJ's idea of advanced technology seems to be a fax machine.

• Love 16
41 minutes ago, nora1992 said:

I wish JJ would ask for clarification from one of the (I assume) dozens of millennials on staff: electronic signatures ARE NOT ELECTRONIC VERSIONS OF AN ACTUAL SIGNATURE!  I've applied for jobs, 100% online, and just checked a box acknowledging that typing my name into the following field would be my "electronic signature."  I could have submitted something under the name of Daffy Duck, and the system would believe that Daffy Duck had submitted a signature, not I.  That poor girl should try her luck on People's Court: Judge Marilyn would actually look at the actual, 21st century evidence, instead of burying her head in the sand of 1980s technology.  And if Judge Marilyn didn't understand, she would have researched it beyond asking another non-techie.  The plaintiff did everything she could, but JJ's idea of advanced technology seems to be a fax machine.

Yep, goes along with her recent reaction to the litigant with the checking account who said she hadn't written any checks in years.... course THAT litigant, IIRC was in court suing jailbird ex (the Marlboro red and weed dude)

I, OTOH, average about 1 check written a year - just easier to buy car tags with a check.

• Love 9

I was surprised the JJ let the dad go.  It's obvious what he did, and clicking a box saying that just because I typed Daffy Duck as my name doesn't guarantee that I am, in truth, Daffy Duck.  The daughter needs to cut the so-called father out of her life.  Sadly, he probably has all of her information written down someplace and will continue to screw her over whenever he can.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, NYCFree said:

The hearts are now at the bottom right corner.

Thanks. Durr - I just now see that! But where does it show likes on our own posts? Am I somehow missing that too?

Ugh, that Dear Dad and daughter case is one of the types I hate the most: Seeing someone cheating and scamming his own child. It's so despicable it makes me queasy and furious at the same time. I hope the next person that scumbag rips off beats the shit out of him.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, nora1992 said:

I wish JJ would ask for clarification from one of the (I assume) dozens of millennials on staff: electronic signatures ARE NOT ELECTRONIC VERSIONS OF AN ACTUAL SIGNATURE!  I've applied for jobs, 100% online, and just checked a box acknowledging that typing my name into the following field would be my "electronic signature." 

I'm 71 (in JJ's chronological age group).  The last time we sold a house, we were out of town and were introduced to the fairly easy concept of electronic signatures.  I was embarrassed at JJ's lack of knowledge (or desire to learn) this "new thing" which is how a lot of business is done these days.

Is she still using a feather quill and an inkpot?

• Love 13

I want to thank you who have been talkin about the second half hour episode yesterday because we had breaking news about the sheriff's deputy who was killed and he said nothing new about it. Couldn't they have waited 10 minutes and put the news into the regular newscast?

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Jamoche said:

When I screw up basic calculations I tell people "I majored in math, not arithmetic" :) Numerically dyslexic (there's a term, I just don't remember it). But once it hits the abstract level, I'm all in.

It's dyscalculia.  "Dyscalculia is difficulty in learning or comprehending arithmetic, such as difficulty in understanding numbers, learning how to manipulate numbers, and learning facts in mathematics. It is generally seen as a specific developmental disorder.".   I have it, and a mild form of dyslexia.

19 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I'm 71 (in JJ's chronological age group).  The last time we sold a house, we were out of town and were introduced to the fairly easy concept of electronic signatures.  I was embarrassed at JJ's lack of knowledge (or desire to learn) this "new thing" which is how a lot of business is done these days.

We just started using e-signatures where I work.  We use a specific piece of software to do it, and it says right on it that it's legally binding.  I've only had one customer refuse to do it, saying it was their policy because e-signatures are too easily manipulated, but they fail to understand that fraud is fraud, and in that case, they wouldn't be liable, but he didn't want to hear it, and got really upset.  Not that real signatures can't be faked or anything.......but that didn't matter to him.  I never see my customers in person - they're all over the place, so I have no way of knowing if any signature they send me is them or not.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

No, I think that like any patrician with a hankering for the good old days of Ancient Rome, she is still at the wax tablet stage.

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

But where does it show likes on our own posts? Am I somehow missing that too?

It's one of the bugs reported in the January Update Information link at the top of every page. They are working on it. As I recall, a similar thing happened after a previous update but it got fixed eventually.

• Love 4

With the website down, I was busting yesterday when JJ dismissed a case because of the e-signature and lack of a "real" signature. Hello?? aren't there people who look at these cases and let her know about technology innovations that have happened since 1950? Clearly that guy used his daughter's identity and signed the lease online. And now the leasing company is coming after her. Someone at that show needed to correct what happened. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Yep, goes along with her recent reaction to the litigant with the checking account who said she hadn't written any checks in years.... course THAT litigant, IIRC was in court suing jailbird ex (the Marlboro red and weed dude)

I, OTOH, average about 1 check written a year - just easier to buy car tags with a check.

HOW did the plaintiff take approx $1800 out by ATM? I thought they had limits....

JJ said she has the checkbook with three checks on one sheet. The HUGE type with the side receipts. She needs it because she writes so many. Byrd asked if she is the old lady writing a check at the grocery store! LOL

DH and I keep separate monies. It's worked for nearly 30 years. I hate writing checks. Our negotiated deal is that I pay the power bill. They charge extra to pay online, so I transfer money to DH each month then he writes the check. We have a white board with who pays what to be sure it is fair.

JJ would have a field day with us, huh?

Edited by Cocoabean
  • Love 5

Well, I still use fountain pens.  There was a time when I wanted to seal my envelopes with wax but it probably would have caused pandemonium at the post office.

I've seen the future, and I'm not going.

We have a white board with who pays what to be sure it is fair.

Oh, I'd love to see you bring it into court as evidence.

Edited by Sarcastico
  • Love 4

The same time we got godsisters and godbrothers.  And "cousins," "brothers" and "sisters" who are actually not related by blood, marriage or adoption. 

I live in the south where these terms are thrown around on a daily basis.  One guy I used to work with was always using the term "cousin" but I think that was his way of making an imaginary connection with that person so that he sounded like a big shot.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cocoabean said:

HOW did the plaintiff take approx $1800 out by ATM? I thought they had limits....

There are default limits, but you can have that changed if you're in good standing with your bank.  I can withdraw up to $1,500 at a time, unless a specific ATM has lower limits.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, nora1992 said:

I wish JJ would ask for clarification from one of the (I assume) dozens of millennials on staff: electronic signatures ARE NOT ELECTRONIC VERSIONS OF AN ACTUAL SIGNATURE!  

They're starting to shift to e-signatures that are signatures; newer PDF readers let you draw an actual signature and attach it to files that need it. Someone must have realized the lack of accountability of that ticky box.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, basiltherat said:

If your customer insists on "real" signatures, he will most probably never be in court!

That's true for face to face transactions, but this guy went ON and ON about e-signatures, and how anyone can sign them.  For my purposes, he's across the US from me.  The alternative to the e-signature is for me to e-mail him a PDF, he prints it, signs it, and either scans or faxes it back.  Someone else could sign for it.  I don't know his signature.  I'd never know if someone else physically signed his name.  So for my purposes with this man, I found his argument a bit odd.  And like the plaintiff,  could claim fraud it if was, and probably win (unless he was going before JJ), so again, I found his argument odd.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Thanks. Durr - I just now see that! But where does it show likes on our own posts? Am I somehow missing that too?

Nope, missing here, too. Hopefully they'll reappear.... first time I signed on after server upgrade/maintenance the pop-up that takes me to the top of page didn't pop-up, but it's back now - so there's hope.

checked bug page, and powers that be know about the problem  and are working on it

so, next time I look I not only find the heart on my post,  but the number of "likes" back. .. thanks to the folks running the site - who probably need a nap about now ?

Edited by SRTouch
Added further comment / update
  • Love 3

All my work invoices are submitted via email.  Some companies require a signed invoice.  I created a graphic file of my signature, and it gets plugged into any document that requires one (it helps to have access to a tablet with a stylus of some sort--otherwise the handwriting can look post-stroke).  So it's digital, but it's also clearly a handwritten signature.  I think that's what JJ was getting confused about.  Not that it takes much to confuse her about tech stuff.  You'd think she was 110.  I don't understand why she's so proud of not letting new information into her brain.  That's the kind of thing most people are ashamed of.

• Love 4

Old Fogey with a question here:  if you were signing a lease with three parties (daughter, dad and agent/owner) wouldn't you then scan or fax a document with all three signatures so all three parties could have it for their files.  For something big like mortgages, car loans, or apartments this would be a good idea, but not necessary for a latte at Starbucks.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

Old Fogey with a question here:  if you were signing a lease with three parties (daughter, dad and agent/owner) wouldn't you then scan or fax a document with all three signatures so all three parties could have it for their files.  For something big like mortgages, car loans, or apartments this would be a good idea, but not necessary for a latte at Starbucks.

If it's done with E-Signatures, you still receive an electronic copy of the completed document for your files.  The document should include the information that electronic signatures have been approved.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

That would require logic.  I do believe the girl that her dad did this to her - she said he's done it before.  And she tried to show JJ proof that he used her name with his SSN, etc, but she wouldn't have it.

And we don't know what was on the form, because the rental company claims they can't access the files.  I'm shocked they don't have a paper back-up.  We do where I work.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

That would require logic.  I do believe the girl that her dad did this to her - she said he's done it before.  And she tried to show JJ proof that he used her name with his SSN, etc, but she wouldn't have it.

And we don't know what was on the form, because the rental company claims they can't access the files.  I'm shocked they don't have a paper back-up.  We do where I work.

Also wonder, as JJ questioned, how they won a judgement against the plaintiff - or anyone else, for that matter, if they have no way to prove who owes what. I think that's why JJ dismissed the case without prejudice. They must have some records, she just needs to know who to ask.

hmmm as I typed that I wonder if maybe they filed, sent the demand to daddy (as that was the address they had), daddy ignored it, then a summary ruling was issued because no defendant showed up in court. Really sounds, assuming girl is telling the truth - which I believe, like identity theft.... and she may want to look into criminal charges - especially as she says this isn't the first time. 

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 8

I think that the rental company really did have the records, but when they looked closely, they realized they could try to get the money from the scammer who has made a living of not paying his way, or go after his daughter.  The daughter is a better bet to easily get the money. 

The sad thing is that the daughter will pay or has already paid off the debt, but that incident will still be on her credit rating unless she undergoes a long arduous process to get it removed.  Ironically, the first step toward that resolution is to prove that her no good father scammed the rental agency, and they didn't do enough to make sure who they were renting to.

Edited by Zahdii
spelling
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Brattinella said:

A little warning:  Today's JJ first case is about dog death(s).  It sounds horrible, I won't be watching it.

Yeah, it’s on now. I read the synopsis “Two chihuahuas are found dead ...” and that’s all I needed to read. Won’t be watching this either. I rescued 6 chihuahuas - still lucky enough to have 4 left.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Quof said:

Finally - we have a an actual (counter)claim for damages because the plaintiff disrespected the defendant!!  

JJ to a sceptical Byrd:  " I'm not making this up!"

But she knocked off his hat! Good grief, guy says he owns a fleet of trucks - well, at least three different sized trucks - is self employed but needs a translator to converse in English and isn't sure if it was 1, 2 or 3 weeks from the time she offered  him a grand til she gave it to him. Really, the club prez needs to borrow $1000 from some hanger on at the MC club house - must be quite the club!

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, WaitForMe said:

Yeah, it’s on now. I read the synopsis “Two chihuahuas are found dead ...” and that’s all I needed to read. Won’t be watching this either. I rescued 6 chihuahuas - still lucky enough to have 4 left.  

Truly the stuff of nightmares for any animal lover - and the typical court TV pit owner (NOT the same thing as a typical owner, but definitely the type we see on tv). Plaintiff runs some errands, and comes home to find her 10 and 14yo dogs dead in her home. Dude's 2 dogs escaped his yard, went through plaintiff's fenced back yard, into her house through a doggy door, and killed her dogs - 1 in the living rm other in her bedroom.... and he's denying everything after she testified she knows his dog's and saw them in her yard and charging her door when she opened it. Then idiot thinks it helps his case to say that he doubted his dog would fit through her doggy door and when they called him the dog hesitated before going into the house. Ah, but cherry on top is his countersuit for emotional distress because the county made him get rid of his dogs. Loved when dude is complaining the county made him rehome his dog's and JJ says good... especially after hearing dogs escaped from his father's yard and had to be re-rehomed. If you need anything else, this guy makes his living breeding American Bullies in his back yard.

Glad this one was on JJ. As a dog lover she was willing to recognize that, while those two senior dogs may not have been worth much money, to their owners they were invaluable.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 12
50 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Truly the stuff of nightmares for any animal lover - and the typical court TV pit owner (NOT the same thing as a typical owner, but definitely the type we see on tv). Plaintiff runs some errands, and comes home to find her 10 and 14yo dogs dead in her home. Dude's 2 dogs escaped his yard, went through plaintiff's fenced back yard, into her house through a doggy door, and killed her dogs - 1 in the living rm other in her bedroom.... and he's denying everything after she testified she knows his dog's and saw them in her yard and charging her door when she opened it. Then idiot thinks it helps his case to say that he doubted his dog would fit through her doggy door and when they called him the dog hesitated before going into the house. Ah, but cherry on top is his countersuit for emotional distress because the county made him get rid of his dogs. Loved when dude is complaining the county made him rehome his dog's and she says good... especially after hearing dogs escaped from his father's yard and had to be re-rehomed. If you need anything else, this guy makes his living breeding American Bullies in his back yard.

Glad this one was on JJ. As a dog lover she was willing to recognize that, while those two senior dogs may not have been worth much money, to their owners they were invaluable.

I can't believe he was allowed to just give these dogs away! The dogs should have been euthanized instead of being passed from one irresponsible moron to another. Not the fault of the dogs, it's the fault of idiot humans. My heart just broke for the plaintiff and I was very impressed at how well she kept it together when describing what happened.

Edited by lovesnark
  • Love 17