Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Talk

My previous exposure to this story was Telemundo's big-budget adaptation and reading a lot of English-language captions, so I've been waiting for this one to come along just to see how it gets reworked for a primarily English-language audience.  That said I do suspect I'll be comparing Alice Braga to Kate del Castillo (the novela Teresa).  A lot.

So both Braga and Machado play characters named Theresa? Or the same character? Can someone who read the book explain?

It's a typo. As mentioned under "And...?" Machado's character is named Brenda.

Many thanks - I wasn't sure what was the typo since later in the review it said the main character gets advice from her older self.  I figured it was just possible that they could be playing the same character but at different stages.  Wonder if I should delay watching the premier to read the book! :)

This was fun..  For the most part I enjoyed it.  It worked as a pilot and I like the main character.  I also like how actiony it gets at times.  This looks like its going to be an action thriller. which is in my wheelhouse.  Plus female centered.  

• Love 4

I knew nothing of the book or story but was looking forward to this based on the trailers being shown.  I thought the soundtrack was awful, the mixture of English and Spanish makes no sense at all (if you're Mexican, in Mexico - speak Spanish and leave the English to captions - we'll figure it out).  Are all cartel thugs overweight, greasy looking guys?  The shoot-em-up scenes were pure comic book.  Hope this "piloto" was a fluke and it's gets better next week.

I agree with Yakimamam, the music was too dramatic, reminded me of the old cop shows. I like the lead character tough azz stunts. The pilot was ok, I'll watch the next eppy hoping for the best. 

The pilot had a lot of ground to cover.  Maybe too much.  It might have actually benifitted by keeping the main character in Mexico until the 2nd episode and had her relationship with her drug running boyfriend be explored more.  That being said I enjoyed the action scenes..  They were exciting in like watching an action movie with a woman as lead.  

As for the weird language switches I tend to think that if you want everyone speaking English the have everyone speak English but switching to Spanish at odd times for odd reasons was...odd.

I thought Teresa was quite shrewd and clever and am intrigued enough to see what she does next and how she does it. The characters are well drawn and the plot kept my interest. I would have liked to see more of Guero, because hotness, but I suppose the point of the show isn't having Teresa remain dependent on a man.

• Love 1
(edited)

WTF? Why did they cram enough content for six episodes into the pilot? That was choppy as hell and the romance arc was ridiculously short. They killed off the boyfriend before we got to see his expertise as a drug runner or his stealing, and it would have been nice to see the incident-gone-wrong at the airport. I didn't mind the music but that on-the-nose, predictable dialogue was the worst. I love Alice Braga so I'll watch one more ep. Hopefully the writing gets better.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 1

I was ready to give up after 15 minutes, but I kind of liked the setup of future Teresa talking to current Teresa, in that her journey from neophyte to queen could be interesting.  I hope they don't overdo that.  And please don't fall into the Miami Vice trope of "drugs are glamorous, drugs are sexy".  Portray the cartel thugs just as they are in real life.  We'll see after a couple of episodes.

The music didn't bug, nor did the pace but I didn't like the lead (Alice Braga). I agree with the poster above, I liked the future Teresa talking to current Teresa but I thought the acting was average at best. For the main protagonist, I just wasn't impressed at all. Beautiful woman but the performance, for me, can't carry this show. I'll give it one more episode since the pilot tried to cover a lot and maybe I'll warm to her. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm so disappointed. Teresa wasn't shown on the original telenovela using all of the time. I'm a few minutes in and she's already bumped twice. Telenovela Terea was clever and scrappy, and tequila was her drug of choice. I hope it gets better. I haven't read the book yet, although it's on my "to read" list, so maybe this is more true to the book.

Edited by LVmom
somehow came out as a quote

I really could have done without the flash forward. Even though a drug lord is a bad guy it breaks the what will happen tension for the series as the good guys even if it is in the form of Sicario or Tom Beringer's Gunnery Sergeant Sniper wins in the end.

(edited)

They had me at "Nights in White Satin" in Spanish.   I also like the strong female characters.   Justina Machado has been a favorite since Six Feet Under.  I'm always glad to see her. 

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 3
On June 26, 2016 at 0:12 AM, The Hound Lives said:

The music didn't bug, nor did the pace but I didn't like the lead (Alice Braga). I agree with the poster above, I liked the future Teresa talking to current Teresa but I thought the acting was average at best. For the main protagonist, I just wasn't impressed at all. Beautiful woman but the performance, for me, can't carry this show. I'll give it one more episode since the pilot tried to cover a lot and maybe I'll warm to her. 

I'm watching for the single reason that Teresa is "Angelica" from the City of God! One of my favorite MOVIES EVER

• Love 1
(edited)

This ep was better; not so choppy. (I'm guessing that the pilot was originally a two-hour movie before they hacked it up.) The new guy (and future boyfriend) looks just like the dead boyfriend. Is it the same actor? And does Texas not have patrol cops? Driving like a maniac would alert cops pretty quick in L.A. or NYC. I'm confused about the mule issue -- why would the new chemist be blamed for a problem with the balloons? Why can't the use they same balloon manufacturer they've always used? Teresa's BFF is awfully clueless for a drug runner's wife. Why would she keep her phone? Mark Consuelos did a good job a smarmy guy.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 3

This episode was pretty good and held my interest. The show should have more dialog instead of that ridiculous drive to the airport. Some of the events are hard to believe like the reckless driving, the airport security check, the cell phone usage when you're on the run etc. Overall I'm liking the development of Teresa into a bad azz. Can't wait to see the showdown between her and Camilo. 

• Love 1

Camila sends Teresa on a major drug operation to test her loyalty. When Teresa plays a pivotal role in the pickup, she takes a real step toward being trapped into Camila's dark narco world. Camila enlists Teo, a high-powered lawyer, to help her with first big secretive move into taking over Epifanio's cartel. Meanwhile, Brenda, still on the run, finally makes contact with Teresa, who helps her escape, but not how she expected.

This is good show, I'm enjoying it so far. 

I love when the vision of her future self makes appearances.

I'm also glad to see the actress from Six Feet Under, I forgot her name, but she's the character with the kid. I haven't see her in anything since SFU.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was resistant to the first episode because the telenovela was SO GOOD. But I am really liking the differences now. This is much grittier, and Mark Consuelos as Teo is brilliant. I always had a problem with the charisma of the telenovela Teo so this casting rectified it IMO.

Edited by LVmom
  • Love 1

I like the show and the characters, and I love Teresa and Camilla. I don't know if it's me completely missing it, me having trouble with some of the accents, the editing, or what, but I keep feeling like I'm missing details. For example, on that drug run/test, James brought 2 girls in addition to Teresa. But in a later scene, the girls disappeared/weren't in the scene, as if they never came. What happened to them? And, what exactly was their purpose in the run, considering that originally, James didn't know it was a test?

I get that Teresa is scrappy, street smart, and has good instincts, but I feel like she knows more than she should, considering she was a low level money exchanger and then the girlfriend of a mid level dealer (or was Guero high level?). During the money check, I can understand noticing the guy was nervous, but how did she jump from there to the money being fake? Why not think some of the drug packets were less potent/fake? They couldn't test all of them, just as James couldn't check all the money.

I just don't always see how things go from point A to point B.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, anadyr21 said:

For example, on that drug run/test, James brought 2 girls in addition to Teresa. But in a later scene, the girls disappeared/weren't in the scene, as if they never came. What happened to them? And, what exactly was their purpose in the run, considering that originally, James didn't know it was a test?

I wondered about that too, but decided I must have missed a scene where the other two were left behind when Camilla told James to take Terese.  In fact, I still don't completely understand the purpose of that warehouse prison -- the cartel is also running prostitutes, I guess. And the "next level" up are the mules? Who have their own cell phones but are still being held prisoner?

I wondered why the women, or at least some of them, were allowed to have fully functioning phones. Someone could call 911, or whatever. 

I didn't get how the two girls served the drug sale. But then, I didn't get the op from the first episode that had them going to the airport. 

I liked Teresa's explanation that if she knows too little she's disposable. Clearly she will observe everything and learn and eventually run her own "business". I've never seen the telenovela but I hope they take their time getting there. 

That said, they veered dangerously close to special snowflake-dom with Teresa this ep. Yeah, she was on the perifery of the drug trade, but, she's never been steeped in it and her situation now is dire. She doesn't know everything and she's not seasoned. Yet. 

• Love 1
On June 29, 2016 at 0:54 AM, Jade Foxx said:

I'm watching for the single reason that Teresa is "Angelica" from the City of God! One of my favorite MOVIES EVER

City of God was a great film. I had to reread the plot lines...yes, I recognize her now...

i like her character...she's a survivor..and just when you want to judge her, she tells you.."if your life had been anything like mine, you'd gave done the same damn thing". I'll keep watching; I just hope I'll be able to stomach the brutality...

• Love 1

Camila is a multidimensional character....not only is she a ruthless queenpin, but she's a wife, a mother, and a very shrewd businesswoman. She's evil and the character is well played , but I don't think she'll ever be a sympathetic character like Teresa.

• Love 1
(edited)

These episodes still cover her evolution. My husband and I watched this episode and I noticed a lot of it was shot in light that gives Camila a very Goth/Dia de Los Muertos vibe...jet black hair, black cherry lipstick, blood red nails...she's a dark character for sure.

Teresa's refusal to accept the Rolex shows a degree of personal integrity.  She cares about her friend. Perhaps she wants to get a favor from Camila to protect her best friend.

That place she's in is a hell hole for sure. Where's she going to be able to hide her and her son? That gulag is no place for a child.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 2

Camila is a really interesting choice for the villain/evil mentor/original Queen Pin. She is a really scary lady, but she is also clearly a good businessman, a mother who is trying to balance her relationship with her daughter and her work life, and she is clearly a very tough woman, becoming a leader in a VERY male dominated business. She is just really interesting, while also being scary as all get out. 

I wonder what Theresa is going to do for Brenda and her son. She seems to have some kind of plan for them, but I cannot imagine Brenda would do well in that drug prison, let alone her son. 

I just caught up with this show, and I really like it so far. I thought I would be annoyed with the appearances of Future Theresa, but I actually like her. I am looking forward to see how Theresa builds her empire. 

• Love 3

How Brenda gets to the US and where she gets dropped off and how she and her son find Teresa is going to be interesting.  Camila will no doubt protect her as a favor to Teresa, but what will be the cost of that favor and how will Brenda's son be sheltered? Brenda would be useful to Camila if she can use her to help bring Epifiaño's cartel down, since her husband was also murdered at his behest.

1 hour ago, Kelda Feegle said:

Would someone please point me in the direction of the telenovela? I didn't know this was a remake or reinvention of something else. No spoilers please :-) 

You can find the original telenovela, Reina del Sur, on Netflix.

• Love 1

The original telenovela had like 63 episodes. I'm sure it was good, otherwise they wouldn't made an English remake.  I just hope they have remained somewhat true to the original. The actresses who play Terresa and Camila are really doing a great job so far.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

You can find the original telenovela, Reina del Sur, on Netflix.

Thanks - I asked friends with Netflix but here in Australia it doesn't carry it. Will have to go hunting elsewhere - my academic interest is in remakes of successful foreign sources.

59 minutes ago, Kelda Feegle said:

Thanks - I asked friends with Netflix but here in Australia it doesn't carry it. Will have to go hunting elsewhere - my academic interest is in remakes of successful foreign sources.

You're welcome. I'd have watched the original telenovela if my Spanish were better...even after 12 years together with my Puerto Rican hubs not enough has rubbed off.  If you like foreign remakes, you should check out the story of Xica da Silva, about a woman born into slavery in colonial Brasil who rises to become celebrated by Portuguese high society. They ran it on Spanish TV a few years ago and it was remade /translated into several languages and was even a hit in Russia.  I wished I'd watched it..no doubt available on Netflix US; hopefully, you can get it Down Under.

• Love 1

This show has become somewhat formulaic.  Teresa is given an assignment.  She figures out it is a trap/scam she figures out a way out of it.  A bigger problem happens she can't get out of and things escalate and Camilla gets her out of danger.  Rinse repeate. 

4 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

This show has become somewhat formulaic.  Teresa is given an assignment.  She figures out it is a trap/scam she figures out a way out of it.  A bigger problem happens she can't get out of and things escalate and Camilla gets her out of danger.  Rinse repeate. 

It's based upon a telenovela, though, right? Which is essentially a soap opera, which is why I am not expecting "high art" out of it, so I guess that's why I am enjoying it to an extent. It's easy to watch while working out or chopping veggies. MY only problem is with the Spanish parts, in  that I am not bilingual enough to where I don't have to read the subtitles, and this show is not something I am willing to work that hard to enjoy.  I like the main actress, though. She is attractive, but also has a "tough" enough exterior to make her cool demeanor realistic. I don't see her giving away her emotions, and that's what makes the character work (her friend could never pull it off!). Camila is also perfectly "camp" as the villainess! I know we are supposed to hate her, but she has been saving Theresa, and I do want her to win against her slimier husband. The most interesting thing to me is Theresa's "future self", and how she gets there.

• Love 2

Was this the ad? 

Or are you located outside of the US?  It sounds familiar but I haven't heard the show referred to as "Queenpin" but it's possible that's the name given to it in other countries. 

It was on during Mr. Robot.

Queenpin is shot (by a gun) and the camera is going in slow mo and there's a montage of how she got power so looks like a lot of flashbacks.