Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Talk

19 hours ago, howivesforever said:

We saw Brenda's  husband get killed.

Yes, I mentioned this is my previous post, though lumped it together with some spoilers, so completely understand if people didn't read it. slf also realized, after their initial post that you quoted, that we did, in fact, see Chico (Brenda's husband) killed. I suspect many people may have forgotten that detail since it happened in the first episode or so here and Chico was barely mentioned since. Even with 13 episodes, it can be tricky to keep everything straight, especially for those who have not seen the original version of the series.

I'm very curious to see where next season takes us and the comparisons/differences between the original Mexican version of the show and the one that the US is trying to make. There are an interesting amount of similarities (though fewer than I would have wanted at this point) as well as considerable differences so far, and what appears to be several characters that may be kind of hybrids of characters in the original, so that makes me even more curious about next season. I also wonder if the setting will change to what it is in the original, which I prefer much more to this. While Teresa was always from Mexico, she leaves it for someplace in the original version that I think adds more to the show as the location is almost a character in itself.

Edited by Rapunzel

That seemed a pretty cool reveal at the end. I couldn't recall whether we'd seen his body in the first ep or not. I hated seeing what happened to Brenda, but it was inevitable following last episode. I loved that Camilla was, as usual, overdressed for the meet with Theresa! That woman has style.

• Love 1

I admit that this episode left me a little confused, but maybe that's more because, as with so many American shows, I have a hard time deciphering what the characters are mumbling. At any rate, it's clear that the tide has indeed turned for Teresa and the new "Queen" has been born.

I also wonder if the setting will change to what it is in the original, which I prefer much more to this. While Teresa was always from Mexico, she leaves it for someplace in the original version that I think adds more to the show as the location is almost a character in itself.

I think we got a hint of that. In the episode with the cocaine-addicted lawyer who was arranging her and Brenda's passports, she says she doesn't know where she's going and he says, "I hear Spain is nice." GONG!!!

I love this show because Alice Braga is great as Teresa.  I too  can't wait till her character's screen time increases.  Although, it kinda sucks that I already know her fate ends with a shot to the middle of the head. 

I really like Camilla as well, that lady is so cool, meanwhile her thirty year old looking teenage daughter, is an idiot.

Losing Brenda was sad, especially since I like the actress. 

So Guero is still alive? What a punk.

Now, can  someone who's read the book tell me if it gives anything information about Teresa's background. Like, what about her family? Brenda at least seemed to have family members who she could leave her son with, where's Teresa's family? Does the novel tell anything about her family background?

Edited by represent
1 hour ago, represent said:

Now, can  someone who's read the book tell me if it gives anything information about Teresa's background. Like, what about her family? Brenda at least seemed to have family members who she could leave her son with, where's Teresa's family? Does the novel tell anything about her family background?

The book is based on a true story. The real person this is based on is not even named Teresa Mendoza. The book does give a bit more background on her and her rise, however. This US TV version in particular takes a fair amount of dramatic license. The original Mexican version is much better in pretty much every way so far, and more accurate, though after this last episode of the US version, I am hopeful for next season.

Some info on the real person this is based on and content that is in the original Mexican TV version I'll put in spoilers.

Spoiler

The woman this is based on is Sandra Avila Beltran. She is, in fact, still alive and was just released from prison in 2015.

In the Mexican TV version, it ends with Teresa still alive (she did serve time in jail earlier in the series) though living alone and isolated and apparantly out of the drug world. She lives as well.

Not sure if that scene of Teresa getting shot in the first episode of the US version will hold up or not - it may end up being a dream or something. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Rapunzel
18 hours ago, represent said:

I love this show because Alice Braga is great as Teresa.  

I really like Camilla as well, that lady is so cool, meanwhile her thirty year old looking teenage daughter, is an idiot.

Agree with all of this - especially the part about the daughter - she definitely looks way older than the 15(?) that she is supposed to be. In any case, the actress' teen years are definitely behind her.

Also like Alice Braga. She's in a new movie that is out on DVD and also on Amazon (free on Amazon streaming if your a Prime member) called "Ardor" (which I have yet to watch). Kate del Castillo, who played the original Teresa in the Mexican series is a fairly good actress, though was under investigation, however, for helping broker an interview for Sean Penn  with a major cartel figure (actually the then current head of the Sinaloa Cartel, Joaquín Guzmán Loera, or "El Chapo") that was wanted on tons of charges, including vicious murders (she was suspected of having other dealings with "El Chapo" as well). Sean Penn did get his interview and has openly talked about it - especially about being transported in a trunk to somewhere in the jungle to meet with El Chapo. El Chapo  was eventually captured by Mexican Marines later on. When they arrested him, they supposedly found copies of the original Mexican version of this show that stars Kate, "La Reina del Sur," in his house.

Alice Braga plays the "Teresa" character better, in my opinion. Both actresses are beautiful, though Alice more naturally so. She also looks dirty and rough (due to hair, wardrobe, makeup for this part, not saying she looks like this normally), as the role calls for given that she is someone who has been living in a warehouse in the series for the most part (yet her natural beauty still shows through), while Kate always looks like a model, no matter what happens to her (perfect hair, perfect makeup, etc.), in the Mexican version (this is fairly typical of telenovela-type series though).  I haven't seen Alice in anything before this (someone mentioned that I may want to watch her in "City of God," which I think she did in 2004, so I may give that a try - especially as it also looks to be free on Amazon Streaming if you are a Prime member), though I definitely do like her in this role, however, despite my doubts about which direction this US version may be heading and how it compares to the original.

Edited by Rapunzel

That was a really enjoyable season, even though I hope next season focuses more on Theresa becoming the Queenpin, and less on Camilla and Epifanio and their marital problems that are emerging as a drug war over their 34 year old daughter. Well, we can keep Camilla around, because her actress is great and I liked her as an evil mentor/foil to Theresa (who might become a kinder, gentler Camilla), but I want to spend more time on Theresa and her rise to power. My favorite thing about Epifanio is his long suffering aid, who is just SO ANNOYED that his stupid boss just keeps killing people and setting his carefully planned schedule back. I kind of want a whole episode from his point of view. 

Poor Brenda. She made one REALLY stupid mistake, and she died for it. At least Tony is (hopefully) alright. Unless we hear otherwise, he is fine! 

Oh Guero, you got some explaining to do! I guess maybe he started talking to the authorities, but he could have taken Theresa! Of course, maybe he was going to get her, but he couldn't, or she had already gone on the run? No matter what, their next meeting is going to be awkward

Maybe I`ll check out the original series, before I the next season starts. See you in season two!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, represent said:

I love this show because Alice Braga is great as Teresa.  I too  can't wait till her character's screen time increases.  Although, it kinda sucks that I already know her fate ends with a shot to the middle of the head. 

So Guero is still alive? What a punk.

The book and the show have little in common.  Enjoyed the book and am watching the show as a different story with some of the same names.

17 hours ago, Rapunzel said:

The book is based on a true story. The real person this is based on is not even named Teresa Mendoza. The book does give a bit more background on her and her rise, however. This US TV version in particular takes a fair amount of dramatic license. The original Mexican version is much better in pretty much every way so far, and more accurate, though after this last episode of the US version, I am hopeful for next season.

Some info on the real person this is based on and content that is in the original Mexican TV version I'll put in spoilers.

Hide contents

The woman this is based on is Sandra Avila Beltran. She is, in fact, still alive and was just released from prison in 2015.

In the Mexican TV version, it ends with Teresa still alive (she did serve time in jail earlier in the series) though living alone and isolated and apparantly out of the drug world. She lives as well.

Not sure if that scene of Teresa getting shot in the first episode of the US version will hold up or not - it may end up being a dream or something. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the info..

Overall, this series is OK in my opinion, I keep watching out of curiosity to see what happens next, and because I'm not regularly watching anything else. I do like Alice Braga in the role, it's very different from the way Kate del Castillo played her, but both are excellent.

BTW you can see a younger Kate in the sweet movie "Under the Same Moon," which also stars a young Eugenio Derbez and features a cameo by Los Tigres del Norte (who wrote the original song about the Queen of the South).

I like the character of Camilla, and I think the actress is beautiful in what the French call a "jolie laide" way, but I think her acting is lousy. She never changes the timbre or intonation of her voice, she speaks in the same flat monotone, her face is totally expressionless. I've become very bored with her. The same goes for James, but that's mostly because the scriptwriters give him nothing to work with. Gadiot seems to be a fine, nuanced actor, and very goodlooking, but he gets no material at all.

I agree with the poster above who said that Epifanio does not come across as very menacing. In the original, your first sight of the Epifano character sends a chill up your spine even though he's urbane and well dressed. The actor does a terrific job of conveying a quiet ruthlessness that you know you better not mess with.

Putting a comment  about Teresa's new friend/vs. that role in the original in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler

When Mr. Marsupial was watching this episode with me, he pointed to the guy and said, "That's the new Pote!" Pote was one of his favorite characters in the original, and we were both glad to see there's going to be a Pote in this one. It's a household joke for us to complain about Spanish food and long for tacos, like Pote did. I'm anxious to see who the new Santiago will be, whether it's going to be El Guero or James or someone totally new. And more importantly will there be an Oleg???

Edited by Marsupial
spelling
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Marsupial said:

I like the character of Camilla, and I think the actress is beautiful in what the French call a "jolie laide" way, but I think her acting is lousy. She never changes the timbre or intonation of her voice, she speaks in the same flat monotone, her face is totally expressionless. I've become very bored with her. The same goes for James, but that's mostly because the scriptwriters give him nothing to work with. Gadiot seems to be a fine, nuanced actor, and very goodlooking, but he gets no material at all.

Putting a comment  about Teresa's new friend/vs. that role in the original in a spoiler tag.

Reveal hidden contents

When Mr. Marsupial was watching this episode with me, he pointed to the guy and said, "That's the new Pote!" Pote was one of his favorite characters in the original, and we were both glad to see there's going to be a Pote in this one. It's a household joke for us to complain about Spanish food and long for tacos, like Pote did. I'm anxious to see who the new Santiago will be, whether it's going to be El Guero or James or someone totally new. And more importantly will there be an Oleg???

Agree about Camilla. She is so one note, which is unfortunate. Responding to the comment you put in the spoiler tag in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler

I almost wonder if they are having Camilla, at least in part, take Oleg's place. I hope this is not the case. as Oleg was basically my favorite character and the relatiohshp he had with Teresa was so well done and so special, as I've mentioned before. They had great chemistry together and, despite him being a very dangerous person, he was sincerely concerned about Teresa and would have/did do so much to help her. It's one of those rare relatinoships that is intimate and loving but without crossing the line into being sexual. I love the episode in the original where she meets Oleg's wife and child and she can see how much Oleg cares for, and loves, them as well. 

If Teresa ends up going abroad and Camilla goes with her, however, I could see her becoming at least a part of Oleg. I think they could possibly introduce another character to combine with Camilla to form more of a "whole" Oleg, but I'm not sure where this going yet. Also, no idea if they will introduce the Coronel and how accurate he will be. In addition, wonder who will be Patti and Fatima and whether or not they will be brought in.

As I mentioned in many of my previous posts, keeping Guero alive may mean that he replaces Santiago, though James still could as well. The DEA is only keeping Guero alive since they want the journal and the farther Guero stays away from Teresa and it, the better his chances of surviving, though it will probably still only buy him some time. However, in the original, Teresa managed to survive even though she gave the journal up to Epi pretty quickly in order for him to help get her to Spain.

We'll have to see more next season, especially since Guero is still alive. As I mentioned in many of my previous posts, it's possible that he will reunite with Teresa and go overseas with her if that ends up happening, though I think the journal is the only thing that is keeping him alive, which is why the DEA is protecting him for the moment. 

The next season will certainly be more interesting if they start to incorporate some of the settings and characters from the original. It doesn't have to be the same (obviously it won't be as it's veered too far already) but the show needs something to shake it up and keep it moving. It's getting a little stagnant.

Responding to your spoiler with another.

Spoiler

The Teresa-Oleg relationship is one of the finest I have seen depicted in any TV show, in any language. It is wonderful. But then, as you've noted, Teresa's relationships with other characters like Fatima, Patti and Pote are also beautifully drawn. And yes, that scene with Oleg's family is one of my all-time favorites. It's also when he tells here that in their business you have to hide the things that are most important to you.

17 hours ago, Gabrielle Tracy said:

Marsupial, I thought the exact same thing re: joile laide the first time I saw Veronica Falcon!  I actually like how she never changes the timbre or intonation of her voice, though.  It makes her seem very confident and imperturbable to me.

Agree with everyone who doesn't care for the daughter.  She's the Dana Brody (shout out to "Homeland" fans) of Queen of the South.

Rapunzel, I'm sorry to keep peppering you with questions but I shall do so anyway :)   In the first episode, Brenda told Teresa that she had to give up drugs for awhile because she was pregnant.  Did she lose a pregnancy and it was glossed over or is the pregnancy she was referring to the son she and Teresa were on the run with?  Because that would mean that Guero and Teresa were together for much longer than I thought they were.

Brenda said in the pilot that she thought she might be pregnant again. I took "again" to mean she already had little Tony (poor kid). Teresa congratulated her but no pregnancy or second baby was ever mentioned again, at least not that I recall. 

I also think Veronica Falcon plays a helluva Camila Vargas. Her personality is not one that I would like but I find her character interesting and the way the actress plays the character is spot on. She doesn't change up much but then she stands a lot to lose by being overly emotional. Even when she was hurting, she couldn't afford to waver. You could see the pain on her face but she fought it and kept moving. She had started to cry but held back the tears and there was no heaving or sobbing. 

Agree that the daughter is annoying but it's hard to have a non-annoying sub-plot that is centered around a teen.  In addition to Dana Brody, Anika on Satisfaction and Rusty on Major Crimes are prime examples of that. Does anyone know the age of the actress who plays Isabella? 

Edited by love2lovebadtv
  • Love 1
On 9/16/2016 at 5:43 AM, Rapunzel said:

So Brenda is finally killed in this version (man, do I feel bad for Justina Machado - she keeps getting killed off in TV series lately). I like the actress a lot and would like to see her in a role that lasts again.

I really liked Brenda. This was my first time seeing anything with Justina Machado but I found her accent to be distracting. Epifanio's and Teresa's accents don't fit their characters either but Epifanio isn't on screen as much and Teresa's is milder so it works.  But Brenda/Justina Machado sounds like both her Spanish and English have been influenced by Caribbean Spanish even when she uses Mexican profanity. I still liked Justina and will have to look into her and see some of her other roles. I cried when Teresa found her, even though I already knew she'd likely be dead. 

El Guero still being alive is a bit of a surprise. I love that we got to see original actor who played the original El Guero in the Mexican version ("La Reina del Sur") in the beginning of the episode. He was played by  Rafael Amaya in that version. Rafael is now playing another famous Mexican TV character that they have introduced into this show in one of the first scenes of the episode, Aurellio Casillas, in "El Senor de Los Cielos,"  (not sure if he will play a long term role, especially given who his character is in the series he is currently in and that he is the lead - it just finished it's third series, with each series being over 60 episodes - they may have just brought him in for a Cameo given that he was the original Guero). We also go to see "new version" El Guero at the end of the episode (played by the actor they chose for the US version). The new "El Guero" didn't get nearly as much screen time as the original El Guero (Rafael Amaya) in the original series, but since they have kept him alive that may change in the next season. I'm not sure that the fact that he is alive now necessarily means he'll stay alive for too long. I think he's alive, in part, because he's been working with the DEA while he was stealing money from Epi and the Cartel and the DEA wants that journal just as bad as Epi does (there is some additional info in my spoiler tags).

Someone asked her on the forum if El Güero was really dead. I never gave it a second thought but I guess I should have since Teresa only got a phone call and it was never clear who the call was from. I wiped my tears after the Brenda scene and leaped off the couch when I saw who was watching the video feed of Teresa. I can't wait to see how this unfolds.

On 9/16/2016 at 5:43 AM, Rapunzel said:

Teresa partnering with Pote happens in the original, though a bit differently. While Pote is a criminal and has done awful things, he's the least nefarious of Epi's men and the only one who appears to have a conscious or a code. Yes, Gato raped Teresa while Pote was there, but had Pote done anything to stop it, he would have been killed. I know it doesn't make it right, but given the world Teresa is living in, she doesn't have many options nor much support/help from anyone.

Lots happened in this episode - some things that tie back to the original more, others that do not, however I'm looking forward to next season and to see how things continue to play out.

I'll put some additional info on the original, including more about El Guero and thoughts about his future, in spoiler tags.

Reveal hidden contents

Towards the end of the series when Teresa needs help as Epi sends his henchmen to Spain to kill her, the Russian and his people help her capture them and then torture them to get info on what Epi is doing and what he is after. She has the Russians kill them all, including the one that raped her.  One of the henchmen. called La Rata in the original, is actually Epi's nephew (turns out later he is actually his son) had been wanting Teresa's blood for a long time - he even went to jail for a bit as Epi forced him to after he disobeyed Epi's orders and followed Teresa to San Diego and also since he was clearly going off the rails to some extent - his obsession with Teresa, as well as "getting high off of his own supply" too much led Epi to believe he was a loose cannon. Being his nephew/son, however, Epi would not have him killed, but opted to send him to jail in a Federal Prison in the US so he couldn't get out so easily, especially as Epi was Governor. He didn't get much of a sentence, however (I think it was 5 years or maybe even less), and he was eventually transferred to prison in Mexico, with Epi's help, and "released".  

The other henchmen who go to Spain with La Rata are also killed, but she has Oleg's men keep Pote alive and sends him back to Mexico to tell Epi what she did to his men and that she has become fairly powerful. Pote sees that Epi isn't going to do a thing to protect him and, because Epi treats him like shit, he returns to Spain as he has nowhere else to turn as Epi kind of rejects him since he lived and the others, including his nephew didn't, which, starts to have Epi thinking he can't really trust Pote.  Since Teresa spared his life, he becomes loyal to her and ends up being her closest bodyguard and is with her until the end. He would, and did, do anything for her, and their relationship is actually kind of sweet, despite how things started, as Pote was so grateful to her.

I don't believe they will keep Guero alive for long. If I remember right, in the original the DEA was also getting a cut of the money he was stealing from Epi and the Cartel (one corrupt agent in particular). That agent pretends to be a friend of Guero's and is actually the one who calls Teresa on the special phone and tells her Guero is dead and that she needs to run (later, at Teresa's request, he tells her how Guero died as he was actually there when it happened). The agent then starts to hunt Teresa just like Epi's men are. Teresa does not know that this is the man that called her claiming to be Guero's friend at this point, and he is eventually able to catch up to Teresa by pretending to be a business man on his way back to San Diego. She eventually figures out, while on the way to San Diego, that he's actually DEA and wants the journal. 

The agent does help get her out of Mexico and to San Diego via one of Guero's planes with the understanding that Teresa will give him the journal though the agent has no idea she already gave the book to Epi in exchange for him arranging her safe passage to Spain and a contact she can meet there to get her a job/situated in a new life. Guero told her he had a ton of cash stored for her at a bank in San Diego that she needed to use to escape if anything happened to him, However, after briefly meeting with Guero's sister who lives in San Diego, she is denied access to bank money as someone had tipped off the bank. She manages to suss this out and escapes, but with none of the money.   

I think in the US version, if the DEA doesn't get the book, Guero is as good as dead. It has info that implicates the DEA, especially the corrupt agent, as well. If Guero lives, I'm not sure what his role will be. If he comes out of hiding, Epi will have him killed, so perhaps he and Teresa leave the country together somehow by cutting a deal with Camilla and then that is where Guero teaches her about the drug business and she gets her start, which would mean Guero would possibly replace Santiago, her boyfriend in Spain, who teaches her how to work on boats to run hashish across the Gibraltar Strait. 

There's definitely something to be said for the fact that Pote probably could have killed Teresa but didn't. And she could have killed him but didn't. They seem to kill only when it's necessary. I guess they have this redeeming quality in common.

On 9/11/2016 at 11:49 PM, thewhiteowl said:

Teresa risks her life to protect Güero's book; Camila's takeover hits a rough patch; Epifanio receives new intel.

This show is giving me life! I'm glad there's finally more chatter about it here on the forum.