Type keyword(s) to search

A Little Help From My Friends: How Do YOU Do (A Healthier) You?

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, Thrifty said:

Not being able to get the same pair of shoes more than once is a contributing factor.  I think that every time I buy a pair of sneakers, every single pair of that size and style is thrown away.  So when they wear out, I have to deal with finding shoes that aren't too big, or too small, or too thin on the soles, or that have a high, stiff heel that scrapes my achilles tendon with every step.

Mr. AZC has a wide foot, and has trouble finding shoes that fit and are comfortable.  I once found a pair of New Balance sneakers in his size at a JCPenney outlet for a LOT less than he usually has to pay for shoes.  I called him and told him to stop on the way home from work to check them out.  He called me from there and said, "They fit!"  So I said, "How many pairs do they have in your size?"  "Just one more."  So I said . . . as I now say whenever he buys shoes:  "BUY BOTH OF THEM."  Shoes don't go bad on a shelf.  Taking the financial hit of buying multiple pairs is unpleasant . . . but not as unpleasant as blisters.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Mr. AZC has a wide foot, and has trouble finding shoes that fit and are comfortable.  I once found a pair of New Balance sneakers in his size at a JCPenney outlet for a LOT less than he usually has to pay for shoes.  I called him and told him to stop on the way home from work to check them out.  He called me from there and said, "They fit!"  So I said, "How many pairs do they have in your size?"  "Just one more."  So I said . . . as I now say whenever he buys shoes:  "BUY BOTH OF THEM."  Shoes don't go bad on a shelf.  Taking the financial hit of buying multiple pairs is unpleasant . . . but not as unpleasant as blisters.

Even with 2 pairs, I would eventually reach the point where both are worn out.  The only way your strategy would work is if I buy enough shoes to last me the rest of my life.  If I just bought 30 years worth of shoes, assuming they wear out after 6 months, I'd need 60 pairs.  At my age that would still only take me to age 67, but I figure I'll be a lot less active by then anyway and it's probably enough.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Thrifty said:

Even with 2 pairs, I would eventually reach the point where both are worn out.  The only way your strategy would work is if I buy enough shoes to last me the rest of my life.  If I just bought 30 years worth of shoes, assuming they wear out after 6 months, I'd need 60 pairs.  At my age that would still only take me to age 67, but I figure I'll be a lot less active by then anyway and it's probably enough.

True . . . but they don't normally have 30 years worth in one size at one store.  At my age (71), I really do take into account "How much of this will last me the rest of my life?" . . . and it's a lot less than it used to be.  At least if you bought 2-3 pairs, you wouldn't have to stress about finding another pair in 6 months.

• Love 2
On 2/23/2018 at 7:10 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

So true.  I know quite a few people who do low carb, some do Keto, and they are VERY animated about it, strict, white knuckling it, to lose a lot.  That just doesn't impress me, because, it's highly unlikely that kind of thing can be sustained long term.  They are miserable too and who wants to be miserable all the time, because you are so restricted?  Unless, there is a pressing medical reason, I'd rather not be miserable and blow it by going off the diet and gaining it all back.  Which is what these people do a lot. I keep my mouth shut, but, why not just adjust the way you eat to be normal, healthy and well balanced?  I don't get it. To each his own, I guess.  I can't argue with success. 

Different strokes for different folks! I know people who do fabulously on ketogenic diets--as long as they enjoy it. For me, plant based works best--veggies, beans, rice, potatoes, tofu--yes, carbs. 

There are too many diet nazis out there giving people bad info. My hubby once had a trainer tell him he shouldn't eat strawberries or grapes because of the sugar content. Those are whole foods he actually LIKES. Unless you're training for the next Mr. Olympia competition, I find such restrictions unreasonable. So, cheers to "to each his own"! If it's working for you and you like it, keep doing it. 

• Love 7

I don't have diabetes, but I have worked with a blood sugar monitor to check how I handle certain food combinations.  My goal is to never exceed 140 because that is when the damage occurs - more damage the longer it stays above that threshold.  My only problem meal is my morning oatmeal, and a tablespoon of coconut oil in it (an acquired taste!) keeps the glucose manageable.  Without testing yourself you can only guess how you are handling carbs, by themselves, with extra fiber, with lots of veggies, etc.  It may be fine.  It may warrant some tweaking.  I'm in favor of home monitoring because I don't like guessing.  The one period I tried very low carb I learned from home urinalyses (I have this stuff for my cats) that I was developing calcium oxalate crystals.  Not worth it to me to see where that would lead.  I do believe the most important nutrition comes from a variety of certain plants but that pastured eggs and liver (I have a wonderful source of liverwurst) are nutritional powerhouses too.  Plus, most of us are very poor converters of some of the plant-based nutrients, and formulations in the multivitamins aren't that good either, so vegan or vegetarian has no interest for me, I want to get what I can from my diet.  Lately I have been pushing my doctor to expand the annual blood work to include markers for inflammation so I have a better understanding of how I'm really doing.  My two areas of focus are mitochondrial health and gut flora health, trying to learn what those would mean because they cover so many potential health issues.  I live by myself, so really easy to keep my home stocked with just wholesome foods, but the junk that is available at work is a problem and I don't have a record of resisting it.  Retirement will take care of that for me, LOL.

• Love 5

I tried to do ketogenic for a while.  Maybe I'm mistunderstanding the system, but it feels like you're trying to trick your body into losing a lot of weight fast by keeping it deprived of carbohydrates for a while.  It is analogous to driving a tractor trailer on a freeway.  Those things are big and lumbering, so they have terrible acceleration.  They can eventually get up to about the same speeds as cars though.  But if they slow down and come to a stop, they have to go through that slow acceleration process again.  Ketogenic seemed like it was sort of like that.  Acceleration was staying under 26 carbs for about a week, then you were at "freeway speeds".  Screw up and eat something with too many carbs, like a bowl of Cheerios, a sandwich, a candy bar, or some fruit, and you've slammed the brakes and have to start over again. 

I found I could only eat a narrow band of the same foods over and over again, and it tended to make me go crazy.  Then I would slip up and that slip up would turn into a three day eating bender.  I had the logic "might as well cram it in while I'm stopped".

So now I'm trying to go on a more basic "don't eat excessive junk food and stay under 1800 calories a day" plan.  Also I do exercise.

• Love 3

The ketogenic  diet works well for me but I find it difficult to live without bread and I miss the texture of crisp which only exists in crackers and chips. 

I stay with it as long as I can because it is a swift loss.  The way to break a plateau is a Fat Fast.  Google it.  It’s crazy and it works!  

• Love 1

Does anyone here use MapMyWalk? I was looking for some variety in my walking path so I brought it up on my computer and mapped out a bunch of different paths around my neighborhood to equal the distances I want to walk. So now I can just pull up a random route that is the distance I want to walk and go. I like that. But I’d love it if there is a feature to have it tell me where to turn as I’m walking so I don’t have to keep looking at the map. It tracks the map perfectly. Do you know if it has a feature to give directions - like a GPS? 

Ugh it's awful here in Boston. Raining and wind like crazy.  I'm hoping to only stay at work until about noon. 

I just wanted to say that this show is one of the things honestly that helped inspire me to start my weight loss journey.

I have lost about 35 pounds and have 30 more to go. Using myfitnesspal everyday for over 500 days now and generally being more active has been key for me.

It's hard to stay motivated but when I see the disaster that is Whitney, it reminds me how important health is!

Kudos to all of you strong ladies for the positive changes big and small that you are making in your lives.

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, preciousperfect said:

Ugh it's awful here in Boston. Raining and wind like crazy.  I'm hoping to only stay at work until about noon. 

I just wanted to say that this show is one of the things honestly that helped inspire me to start my weight loss journey.

I have lost about 35 pounds and have 30 more to go. Using myfitnesspal everyday for over 500 days now and generally being more active has been key for me.

It's hard to stay motivated but when I see the disaster that is Whitney, it reminds me how important health is!

Kudos to all of you strong ladies for the positive changes big and small that you are making in your lives.

Congratulations!!!  35 lbs is great!  I use MyFitnessPal too. It’s such a great app. It’s been helpful to me to really get a handle on how much I’m eating but also as motivation. I hate logging something I shouldn’t have eaten. LOL. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Congratulation Preciousperfect on your weight loss success!  It requires commitment.  What a great job.

I have to get my exercise program on the move.  It seems it's been something since the holidays....either sick, family issues, weather, work issues, etc.  HOWEVER, I just completed a work project that was taking up a lot of time.  AND, I was so busy, I didn't have much time to eat.  So, I lost another 2 pounds, so, I'm down 52 pounds now!  I may just be in that new swim suit by summer!  (I pulled out an old dress jacket out of the closet last week and it fit like a glove! I haven't been in it a few years. It feels so good. I'm so ready for spring!)

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

Gah I’m ready for spring too—I noticed last night that blossoms are coming out on the trees and I wanted to cry from joy. 

Count me in on the MyFitnessPal love! Though lately I’ve been in a post-vacation funk so my logs look like “Breakfast: two Cadbury Creme Eggs; lunch: banana bread; dinner: four eps of The Alienist and crying.”

I’m giving myself the weekend and come Monday I’ll get back into the grind. I’m thinking I need to sign up for another race, something to be excited to train for—I’m not really feeling it lately. 

• Love 1

Well crap. Looks like another day with no walk. It’s sunny today but the wind is still fierce and there ar downed trees and power lines everywhere and still coming down with the gusts. Probably best not to walk around outside. UGH. I might have to get on the treadmill. 

• Love 2

You know what is so bizarre?  This past week during my heavy work load, I was really slammed and so I had a piece of pizza for dinner. I didn't even find it that tasty.  Isn't that odd?  I'm fortunate that pizza has never been a dish that I really love, but, now......I really could care less if I ever have it again.  Maybe, my taste buds are changing.  The next night a friend cooked me dinner, since, I was so busy and he made baked chicken breast stuff with asparagus, roasted vegetable with potato and roll.  I passed on the ice cream desert and was so satisfied. To me, there was no comparison.  I'm really loving the good stuff. It feels really good. 

• Love 4

Pizza is one of the things I can eat a ton of before I get "done". It's something that I do very occasionally, typically when I'm close to doing a marathon or a century ride because at that point I'm expending enough energy that I can eat as much pizza as I want for one day and stay within my calorie goals.

The rest of the time I don't really eat it because I know I won't be happy with one or two slices. I eat a lot of high protein foods that are delicious and save my pizza eating for when I can really dive in and enjoy it.

I've started really enjoying some treats that are pretty good on the waistline for me and they taste good.  Grapes seem to really satisfy me and also this Diet Cranberry-Cherry juice.  It's very low in carbs.  Only 5 calories and 2 carbs per 8 oz. serving!  

I avoid grapes (and raisins) because of the high sugar content, and all diet (artificial sugar) foods because they're hard on gut bacteria and fool the body into many of the problems too much sugar can cause.  My go-to snacks are almond butter on celery or hard-boiled eggs. 

... just got word there will be free pizza for lunch today for those who faced the snow storm to come in.  Darn.  And I had intended on a healthy lunch today, LOL. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Brooks said:

I avoid grapes (and raisins) because of the high sugar content, and all diet (artificial sugar) foods because they're hard on gut bacteria and fool the body into many of the problems too much sugar can cause.  My go-to snacks are almond butter on celery or hard-boiled eggs. 

... just got word there will be free pizza for lunch today for those who faced the snow storm to come in.  Darn.  And I had intended on a healthy lunch today, LOL. 

To each their own when it comes to food choices, but grapes aren't that bad. I ate them when I was anorexic and managed to maintain a very low weight and body fat despite the sugar content. I broke just about every "food rule" there is, including eating just before bed. It was almost always a veggie stir fry (and who wants to go to bed hungry?). Calories in calories out--I just made sure I was always in a deficit.

• Love 2

It's not calories in/calories out like some engine.  Hormones play a major role in how those calories are managed, and what you eat affects how much of what hormones are at play.  You have very little control over calories out.  Too much sugar can jack up insulin and then there can be a crash and you can end up feeling hungrier for having had the sugar.  Depends how your body handles it (and also what else you're eating with those foods).  I want as much nutrition as I can get from my calories which for me makes grapes low on the desirables list.

To me the best reason not to eat just before you go to bed, assuming you also eat not long after you get up so it's a shortened window between the two, is you're depriving your body of one of your most important healing routines of autophagy.   It's also why I got rid of my cordless phone and have been turning WIFI off at night.  They interfere with nighttime repairs and also my ability to sleep well.  It disturbed my cats too.

7 minutes ago, Brooks said:

It's not calories in/calories out like some engine.  Hormones play a major role in how those calories are managed, and what you eat affects how much of what hormones are at play.  You have very little control over calories out.  Too much sugar can jack up insulin and then there can be a crash and you can end up feeling hungrier for having had the sugar.  Depends how your body handles it (and also what else you're eating with those foods).  I want as much nutrition as I can get from my calories which for me makes grapes low on the desirables list.

To me the best reason not to eat just before you go to bed, assuming you also eat not long after you get up so it's a shortened window between the two, is you're depriving your body of one of your most important healing routines of autophagy.   It's also why I got rid of my cordless phone and have been turning WIFI off at night.  They interfere with nighttime repairs and also my ability to sleep well.  It disturbed my cats too.

I totally agree, just trying to make the point that unless a person is diabetic or has other medical conditions, certain foods don't necessarily need to be demonized or prohibited (like the potato). I nearly starved myself to death breaking every food "rule" that supposedly makes people fat. AND I was diagnosed with PCOS in my early 20s so Whitney can throw that excuse right out the window. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Brooks said:

You can't control what your BMR is, and can really only add so much reasonably with exercise, so there is a limit to how much calories out can be controlled. That means the control to balance it has to come on the calories in side of the equation. The human body is biological engine that ultimately is ruled by physics like everything else. We take in food and we use it to make the energy for that biological engine to run, and if there is more food left we convert it and store it. The one and only way to get that out of storage and start using it is a calorie deficit. 

What different foods to to different people in terms of satiety or the ability to control appetite does matter. Some thrive on a high carbohydrate style, and some do much better with higher protein and fat. There is a level of protein and fat intake that has to happen - muscle and brain health depend upon it - but that can be accomplished without going to extremes for the vast majority of people.

Some people don't do well if they eat too close to bed time - it may give them indigestion or cause insomnia - and if you're one of them then it's smart to have a period before bed without eating. Others like to eat later in the day, before sleep, and aren't prone to eating breakfast. Neither of those things are wrong as long as both people are getting the macro and micronutrients needed, and they're eating at a calorie level to keep the weight in the normal range. Same with people who like OMAD (one meal a a) or those who eat six small meals in a day. Some are into intermittent fasting, and some never go more than 2 hours without food.

What matters is getting protein, fat, fiber, vitamins and minerals in a way that doesn't leave one lethargic, moody, dizzy or otherwise ill.

• Love 1

Whooo!!!  I did my first sub 16 mile today. I’ve been walking 3.5 miles a day and had improved from 18 min/mile to mostly mid to upper 16. Today my 2nd mile was 15.22. And it’s the one with the huge up hill part!!  Our whole subdivision is hilly but that mile is almost all uphill. So I did 3.5 miles in 57.21 which includes a few spots where I have to wait for traffic to cross the street. Yippee!!  It may not be amazing but it’s a huge improvement for me. 

• Love 10

Thanks. Funny thing is that I hate the treadmill. I find it mindnumbingly boring and too easy to just get off when I’m bored or tired. Plus you know what I’ve discovered?  When I put my headphones on and head out the door NO ONE CAN BOTHER ME!!  There are no kids saying “Mom I need”. No chores staring me in the face saying “You should be doing this”. No husband wondering when dinner will be ready. It’s an hour all for me. ??

• Love 2

I prefer the treadmill or track

I must confess that I do as well since I can watch tv, surf the net, read and listen to the radio while keeping a steady pace. For fun I  X-C ski, hike, backpack, bike and snowshoe but that's fun and not standardized exercise. I try to do 100 minutes on a good day.  I know! Crazy! But then, I live in an area where there are no sidewalks and it is usually icy underfoot during the winter and the bugs can carry you off in the summer.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Thanks. Funny thing is that I hate the treadmill. I find it mindnumbingly boring and too easy to just get off when I’m bored or tired. Plus you know what I’ve discovered?  When I put my headphones on and head out the door NO ONE CAN BOTHER ME!!  There are no kids saying “Mom I need”. No chores staring me in the face saying “You should be doing this”. No husband wondering when dinner will be ready. It’s an hour all for me. ??

I hate it too, and I'm doing pace work on it which basically means cranking out mile after mile running at an incline. The only thing that keeps me disciplined enough to actually do the treadmill pace work is having shows that I permit myself to watch solely on the treadmill. If I want to see another episode, I better do my workout.

It's paying off. I'm on track to set a half marathon PR in a week.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

I! But then, I live in an area where there are no sidewalks and it is usually icy underfoot during the winter and the bugs can carry you off in the summer.

I do worry about summer. I am not a fan of hot and it’s really hot and humid here. I think my walks will have to be early morning activities and even then it won’t be as enjoyable as these cold day walks. 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I do worry about summer. I am not a fan of hot and it’s really hot and humid here. I think my walks will have to be early morning activities and even then it won’t be as enjoyable as these cold day walks. 

I have a (crappy, LOL) blog about walking and OCR training, and I wrote a post in 2016 with some hot-weather tips :) Frozen wet sponges are da bomb.

• Love 2

Whitney is SUCH an inspiration to me. As I watched that 8K, it occurred to me that although I'm 20+ years older than Whit, I could still run circles around her. Inspired by her screaming, crying and wheezing her way through that race, I decided to sign up for a local 5K and show her young ass how it's done. This will be my first 5K in several years and also the first one I'll do alone so I'm slightly terrified, but I can't possibly embarrass myself anywhere near as much as she did. 

• Love 12
56 minutes ago, momofsquid said:

Whitney is SUCH an inspiration to me. As I watched that 8K, it occurred to me that although I'm 20+ years older than Whit, I could still run circles around her. Inspired by her screaming, crying and wheezing her way through that race, I decided to sign up for a local 5K and show her young ass how it's done. This will be my first 5K in several years and also the first one I'll do alone so I'm slightly terrified, but I can't possibly embarrass myself anywhere near as much as she did. 

You go, momofsquid!  I've said before that Whitney is my number one motivator when it comes to staying fit and eating right.  And I don't think you need to be terrified that you won't do as well as Whitney (gasp, cough) - that's such a low bar. Unless the next day, your local paper reads "momofsquid  arrested at local fun-run for disorderly conduct and assault, after she stripped down to her bra, screaming that she couldn't go on, then attempted to wrap herself around one of the medics, while asking for his phone number and demanding to smell his armpits," you're good. :-)

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 12

Too funny, Ketzel!!!  I'm just imagining a regular person like myself, (not a reality show whore), simulating Twit's actions as you described above. 

Ohhhh. The shocked and disgusted looks I would get I am taking off my shirt, bitching at my dad, as well as people distancing  themselves from my hollering bloody murder. I would not be surprised if race officials came over and escorted me off of the path, or changed the directional  signs to detour me away from other runners or publicity. 

Embarrassingly crazy,  cameras or not. Yes, arrests should be made. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Ketzel said:

You go, momofsquid!  I've said before that Whitney is my number one motivator when it comes to staying fit and eating right.  And I don't think you need to be terrified that you won't do as well as Whitney (gasp, cough) - that's such a low bar. Unless the next day, your local paper reads "momofsquid  arrested at local fun-run for disorderly conduct and assault, after she stripped down to her bra, screaming that she couldn't go on, then attempted to wrap herself around one of the medics, while asking for his phone number and demanding to smell his armpits," you're good. :-)

Thank you! To be clear, I have no doubt I'll do better than Whitney simply because I'm a fraction of her size. I'm cowardly about taking on challenges, but my bitchy side wants to show myself and anyone who cares to look that I'm more fabulous than she is. I know I can finish in under 45:00 and I'm going to shoot for under 40:00. It likely won't happen but I'm going to try. I shall do my best to remain clothed and keep my paws off the medics.

Honestly though, if she hadn't been surrounded by TV cameras, imagine the scene she would have caused with her histrionics. The production crew must have had to hold the race crew at bay to keep her from being pulled off the course multiple times.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, momofsquid said:

Thank you! To be clear, I have no doubt I'll do better than Whitney simply because I'm a fraction of her size. I'm cowardly about taking on challenges, but my bitchy side wants to show myself and anyone who cares to look that I'm more fabulous than she is. I know I can finish in under 45:00 and I'm going to shoot for under 40:00. It likely won't happen but I'm going to try. I shall do my best to remain clothed and keep my paws off the medics.

Honestly though, if she hadn't been surrounded by TV cameras, imagine the scene she would have caused with her histrionics. The production crew must have had to hold the race crew at bay to keep her from being pulled off the course multiple times.

For sure. In a situation like this, we'd likely receive multiple 911 calls for a crying/howling/wailing participant. Units on the road during the event would likely be dealing with/monitoring the situation even after the person chooses to go on.

• Love 4

Qs for those of you who use the MyFitnessPal app:

After 14 yrs, I've had to give up using my favored food/exercise journal since Calorie King quit publishing it.

I've been using MFP for a couple days & mostly has been able to figure it out. All except the "Progress" graph.

? How do I change the dates at the bottom?

? How do I cause the weight line to change for a given date?

Or, are these things I can't do without buying the $50 version? If so, is there any other way besides the Progress chart where I can chart my weight weekly?

13 hours ago, Dot said:

Qs for those of you who use the MyFitnessPal app:

After 14 yrs, I've had to give up using my favored food/exercise journal since Calorie King quit publishing it.

I've been using MFP for a couple days & mostly has been able to figure it out. All except the "Progress" graph.

? How do I change the dates at the bottom?

? How do I cause the weight line to change for a given date?

Or, are these things I can't do without buying the $50 version? If so, is there any other way besides the Progress chart where I can chart my weight weekly?

I’m a little confused about what you want to do. Are you asking where to enter your weight? 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I’m a little confused about what you want to do. Are you asking where to enter your weight? 

I entered my current wgt when I opened up the app. What I want to do now is record my wgt each week.

In the menu, there is a choice called Progress which is a graph with dates at the bottom. The line on the graph is now at my current wgt & I haven't figured out a way to change it each week. Or the dates.

If this is not the place to record my weekly wgt, is there one? (It seems to me an app like this should have such a place.)

43 minutes ago, Dot said:

I entered my current wgt when I opened up the app. What I want to do now is record my wgt each week.

In the menu, there is a choice called Progress which is a graph with dates at the bottom. The line on the graph is now at my current wgt & I haven't figured out a way to change it each week. Or the dates.

If this is not the place to record my weekly wgt, is there one? (It seems to me an app like this should have such a place.)

Ok. I enter stuff on my phone most of the time and that’s what I have in my hands right now so I’ll give you those instructions first. When you are on the front page of the app you see the + at the bottom that you hit to enter food but there are several other options. On the far right the purple button is weight. Click on that and it will give you a place to enter weight whenever you want. Then it will use that information on the Progress chart. You can see progress in for the last week, month, 2 months etc but to don’t think it has an option to put in date ranges. 

Does that help at all?  When I am near my computer later I’ll tell you how to do it there. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Ok. I enter stuff on my phone most of the time and that’s what I have in my hands right now so I’ll give you those instructions first. . . .

Does that help at all?  When I am near my computer later I’ll tell you how to do it there. 

Got it! Many thanks, @3girlsforus. I use a Kindle Fire tablet, but could interpret your instructions to fit my tablet's setup. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me with this.

3 hours ago, Dot said:

Got it! Many thanks, @3girlsforus. I use a Kindle Fire tablet, but could interpret your instructions to fit my tablet's setup. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me with this.

Happy to help!!  I’m really new at this but I am loving MFP. It’s really helping me get a handle on my eating. 15 lbs in 50 days!!  Long way to go but I put pants on this morning that didn’t fit at Christmas. 

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Happy to help!!  I’m really new at this but I am loving MFP. It’s really helping me get a handle on my eating. 15 lbs in 50 days!!  Long way to go but I put pants on this morning that didn’t fit at Christmas. 

Congrats on those lost 15 lbs! 

I 've been basically just making sure I never weigh 380+ #s again which means I'm still using all 3 tools -- food mgmt, exercise & journaling -- to maintain. Some people get bored with the latter tool, but I've been doing it since Apr 2004. It continues to keep me honest. In fact, when I watched that segment where Twit refused to let Will know what she's eating daily, I knew she'd never get anywhere with managing her food intake & exercise regime.

• Love 4

Dot- that is incredible dedication. I am really impressed. 

I remember Whit’s refusal to write stuff down. I’d actually love to see someone follow her around for a few days and write eventhing down she eats. Even if Whit agreed to do it herself she’d lie. It would be interesting to see someone else do it who would actually write it all down. And to see how much of it is before 9pm LOL

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I remember Whit’s refusal to write stuff down. I’d actually love to see someone follow her around for a few days and write eventhing down she eats. Even if Whit agreed to do it herself she’d lie. It would be interesting to see someone else do it who would actually write it all down. And to see how much of it is before 9pm LOL

Lol! Secretly stick a little tiny camera on Whit's nose that sees every bit she put in her mouth! It might look like a blackhead to her but in reality, nanotech! 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Dot said:

Congrats on those lost 15 lbs! 

I 've been basically just making sure I never weigh 380+ #s again which means I'm still using all 3 tools -- food mgmt, exercise & journaling -- to maintain. Some people get bored with the latter tool, but I've been doing it since Apr 2004. It continues to keep me honest. In fact, when I watched that segment where Twit refused to let Will know what she's eating daily, I knew she'd never get anywhere with managing her food intake & exercise regime.

I love my food scale and MFP. I do double check entries on there against the USDA's nutrient database though because sometimes the user-entered data is very inaccurate.

• Love 3
On 3/12/2018 at 7:09 PM, 3girlsforus said:

Writing stuff down really does hold you accountable.  When I started doing that, it showed me my problem.  Stuff just has more calories than you think, unless you really weigh it and check the calories. Once, you get that, your whole idea of what is enough, what's proper portion, etc.  comes front and center.  At least it did for me.  

Grapes and some other fruits may have some sugar, but, I'm just not going to eliminate a bunch of foods due to that.  I just know me and I'm going to enjoy my favorite foods as long as they fit into my total calorie budget.  I pick smart carbs, but, I just can't wage a war against them.  I see that with some of my friends.  They start real strong and then the next thing you know....it's just not sustainable, from what I've seen.  

I was pumped to go for a walk yesterday and omg....snow and brutally cold wind.  Can you believe it? I've already bought my Easter dress.  I may need a matching coat to wear with it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Please kick me in the butt and tell me I need to go for my walk today. I’m tired, my legs hurt, and I just don’t wanna (said with best Whitney lower lip pout) LOL

I've never regretted prying myself off the couch and starting a workout no matter how many times I've had to tell myself "Just five minutes. Start. You can stop any time."

Give it five minutes.

• Love 6

Our little trick to get ourselves moving is this:

We shoot for 10,000 steps a day.  Our Fitbit dashboard shows the daily steps, and how close we are to the weekly goal of 70,000 steps.  Our week starts on Sunday.  So we "treat" ourselves.  If we do a minimum of 10,000 Sunday through Friday, whatever is left means we have a "reward day" on Saturday.  For example, I am currently at about 45,000 steps since Sunday.  If I meet my goal today and tomorrow, I'll only have to walk about 5,000 steps on Saturday.  Incentive!!!!

• Love 3

Thanks guys. I know I’ll be good when I go. I wish this stupid wind would stop. I put on my walking clothes and now I just have to wait for my daughter to finish her grammar lesson. We homeschool and I don’t go out to walk until she’s moved on to more independent work and reading. 

AZChristian- I know exactly what you mean about reward. My weekly goal is a minimum of 20 miles during my workout. My phone tracks additional steps but I don’t own a Fitbit. I’ll hit 20 today but if I skip Ill have to do at least a shorter walk tomorrow and I’ll scheduled for a taco and margarita lunch with a friend.   I’m going to walk to and from the restaurant but that will only get in about a mile and post margarita lunch walk isn’t exactly excellent exercise LOL  

• Love 2