Type keyword(s) to search

A Little Help From My Friends: How Do YOU Do (A Healthier) You?

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

For me, boots are a nightmare to buy. I've always had larger calves from years of dance and horseback riding, so even at my thinnest I was stuck with the limited selection of wide-calf boots available. My legs look great and are really shapely, but for some reason shoemakers seem to think that if you have calves that are over 10 inches in diameter, that you don't need nice looking boots to wear. Very frustrating.

Boots are terrible. I don't know WHO they fit. I used to have calves that were too small for any boots, now after some years of walking they have "bulked up" but are still pretty thin and they're now too BIG for boots. My calves literally went from about 12" to 15" around and that is the difference between boots being way too big vs way too small. I am also constantly perplexed by shorts, which are made for women who have a large waist, medium butt, and teeny stick thighs. I can wear a size 8 in the waist but need a size 14 for everything else.

• Love 1

So, it is way too early for it to be this hot! The last 3 days it has been 90+ and I had to be outside in it with no shade (SAR trails work). Time to take the workouts indoors or get up before the sun comes up. I don't mind the heat, it's the SUN that makes it terrible. Even my garden plants are like, what's going on? I had to install a sun shade for them. 

At what point weather-wise do y'all take your workouts inside (if you walk/run/etc outdoors)? I hate working out indoors, it's so boring even while watching a Twit episode. 

25 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

So, it is way too early for it to be this hot! The last 3 days it has been 90+ and I had to be outside in it with no shade (SAR trails work). Time to take the workouts indoors or get up before the sun comes up. I don't mind the heat, it's the SUN that makes it terrible. Even my garden plants are like, what's going on? I had to install a sun shade for them. 

At what point weather-wise do y'all take your workouts inside (if you walk/run/etc outdoors)? I hate working out indoors, it's so boring even while watching a Twit episode. 

I am "lucky" enough to live somewhere with four extreme seasons ;) I have worked out in everything from -35 windchill to 110 heat index. Once it gets below zero or above 90, I vastly prefer being indoors, although an indoor track is better than the dreadmill. My husband, meanwhile, loathes treadmills so much that he will work out outside in literally anything. He did a half Ironman in 115-degree heat index. People were fainting left and right, he set a personal best. Go figure. I think men handle it better, for some reason. He also did a 100Km fat tire bike ride in below zero trails of solid ice. If there is an ice storm, I take my workouts indoors because slippery trails change my gait enough to make me more injury-prone.

2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I am "lucky" enough to live somewhere with four extreme seasons ;) I have worked out in everything from -35 windchill to 110 heat index. Once it gets below zero or above 90, I vastly prefer being indoors, although an indoor track is better than the dreadmill. My husband, meanwhile, loathes treadmills so much that he will work out outside in literally anything. He did a half Ironman in 115-degree heat index. People were fainting left and right, he set a personal best. Go figure. I think men handle it better, for some reason. He also did a 100Km fat tire bike ride in below zero trails of solid ice. If there is an ice storm, I take my workouts indoors because slippery trails change my gait enough to make me more injury-prone.

Ha ha I hate treadmills, too--they give me vertigo. I don't mind being out in the heat, it's just the SUN. It takes 30 minutes of prep just to make sure my camelback has ice in it, ice in my hat and that my clothes are wet down--and my pace is SO much slower. Some days I don't have time for all that and I just go intense on the elliptical (which I did this am). 

I used to race in the heat, too. I did a half marathon in 114 temps in 2009 (Running with the Devil). Slowest time ever at 2:07--30 minutes slower than my average--but still managed 4th overall. Was thinking of racing it again this summer, it'll depend on my chronic injury status. Whenever I try to make a return to racing, something bad happens :(. Currently it's chronic upper hamstring tendonopathy. 

I prefer to work out inside with a very cool temperature.  I suppose I'm spoiled. But, I do enjoy long walks in nice weather.  

How long should you wear running shoes (walking in my case now) before getting new ones? 

This past weekend I decided to have myself a little treat.  I had an average serving of peach cobbler.  The rest of the day I ate as I normally do watching calories. The next day I had dropped 3 POUNDS!  lol  Go figure.  I've decided to have one treat on the weekends for right now and see how that goes.  Once, I reach my goal, I may modify it.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I prefer to work out inside with a very cool temperature.  I suppose I'm spoiled. But, I do enjoy long walks in nice weather.  

How long should you wear running shoes (walking in my case now) before getting new ones? 

This past weekend I decided to have myself a little treat.  I had an average serving of peach cobbler.  The rest of the day I ate as I normally do watching calories. The next day I had dropped 3 POUNDS!  lol  Go figure.  I've decided to have one treat on the weekends for right now and see how that goes.  Once, I reach my goal, I may modify it.  

The general rule of I was always taught was around 400 miles or when they start to break down. If you're walking, that may help extend their life because walking puts less force on shoes. 

I usually have 3 pair of shoes I rotate through. Surprisingly, shoes take time to rebound and I learned wearing them every day put more stress on them. When things begin to "not feel right" and they're getting close to their mileage limit, I replace them. But if the shoes still feel good and don't show signs of major wear and tear, keep on using them. 

• Love 2

Okay.  Mine still look really good and as long as they don't cause me any discomfort, I think I'll keep wearing them for awhile. Most of their wear is a result of indoor usage in the gym.  Maybe, that's why. 

I change my shoes when my feet start hurting "for no reason." For me, my shoes don't last very long, maybe 300 miles tops. There are some very fortunate folks with perfect biomechanics who can wear shoes for 1000+ miles. Generally if they feel good, they're probably okay :)

22 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

Slowest time ever at 2:07--30 minutes slower than my average--

Holy shit! Your 'average' half time is an HOUR faster than my best half time. Pardon my language but holy shit! I'm real real impressed. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

Holy shit! Your 'average' half time is an HOUR faster than my best half time. Pardon my language but holy shit! I'm real real impressed. 

LOL yeah, my half PR is 2:41 (average 3 hours) so I definitely agree :)

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

LOL yeah, my half PR is 2:41 (average 3 hours) so I definitely agree :)

Well I've been competitively running since I was in middle school--I was "discovered" at age 11 by gym teachers and prepped for both cross country and track in HS, and one year they awarded me MVP. For a while I was considered sub-elite, which explains the fast times--I just wasn't fast enough to be a pro like my idols Kara Goucher and Stephanie Bruce. 

I should have  qualified those times with the fact that I'm definitely slower these days thanks to chronic injuries, and I've got a long way to go before I'm close to race-ready. Guess I'll find out next time I race a half, which I may try to do this summer. It's hard to be knocked down from being really fast but I'm happy to get out and just run and help others with their training. Aging sucks! 

• Love 1

Can someone  answer a  question  for me please . Whenever  I walk on a treadmill  I get a sharp  pain behind my  knee. When I walk  any other time that does not happen . Is this something  I should  push through ?  I also start having  calf cramps almost  immediately . I mean  not  even 5 minutes  in. When I walk anywhere  else, I get tired  but not as fast . I do not have a car at the moment  so am walking  everywhere , so there seems to be a big difference  on the treadmill  than just walking  outside . 

1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Can someone  answer a  question  for me please . Whenever  I walk on a treadmill  I get a sharp  pain behind my  knee. When I walk  any other time that does not happen . Is this something  I should  push through ?  I also start having  calf cramps almost  immediately . I mean  not  even 5 minutes  in. When I walk anywhere  else, I get tired  but not as fast . I do not have a car at the moment  so am walking  everywhere , so there seems to be a big difference  on the treadmill  than just walking  outside . 

The treadmill is often not recommended for people, depending on their personal physiology. For example, my ridiculously athletic aforementioned husband hates the treadmill, mostly because it gives him terrible hip issues. This is because, although the treadmill has less impact (good for impact-related injuries), it is also extremely unstable (bad for instability-related injuries). Keep in mind that, on the treadmill, the belt is moving, not you. You basically keep up with the moving belt, which is different biomechanically than walking on solid terrain. It is easier on the joints impact-wise, but due to the forward movement and slight lateral shimmy of the belt, can wreak havoc on the ligaments/tendons surrounding the joints, including the knees and ankles (which may account for your muscle cramps, as you calves desperately seek some sort of purchase).

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Clarewalks ,  thank you so much for your reply .  That makes sense  and makes me feel like I am not too much of a whimp.No more treadmill  for me, but with no car I should  get plenty  of walking  in.

Definitely not a wimp! Different exercise machines totally DESTROY different people. There are folks who cannot do the elliptical because it sets their legs into a funky orbit that disagrees with them. Walking outside is better for you, anyway. Fresh air, and all that :) Plus it requires you to push off, instead of just lifting your knees to keep up with a treadmill belt. Better for the glutes!

• Love 1
17 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

ClareWalks already said it--outside is better. I hate treadmills, I don't know how people stay on 'em so long--and many folks who train on treadmills and then try and do a race feel miserable because, as ClareWalks said, you use different actions on actual ground. Treadmills give me vertigo because my brain cannot process the action of running with no perceivable forward motion--then I get dizzy and fall off. 

I have an elliptical for days when it's viciously hot, when I'm injured or am short on time but it's only there as a backup--though I will admit that when I get real low on it and go hard, it really helps work on my glutes. 

• Love 1

We are trying to be healthier as we age.  Our current routine is based on an every-other-day pattern.  On gym days, we do 15 minutes on the stationary bike (keeps my new knee limber, and I am increasing the level to build up stamina as well).  Then we do the 30-minute express section, which alternates between machines for weight resistance and cardio.  Because we've already done the bikes for cardio, we just do the weight machines.  Then on the alternate days, we walk.  If it's cool enough outside, we walk outside (we live in AZ).  Otherwise, we go to the mall before the stores open and join the other mall-walkers.  One lap around the lower level and the upper level is 1.75 miles.

We are believers in the "if you continue to do what you've always done, nothing will change" philosophy.  If we want to be healthier, we have to work at it.  Now that we're retired, we have plenty of time for improvement to be our "job."

• Love 2

I love the treadmill because it gives you total control of your workout. It makes it really easy to keep a certain pace, do interval training, run up hills, etc. Also, I can do it while watching TV, or I can do it at midnight, or when there's 2 feet of snow outside. I usually put it at at least a 2% incline to account for the lack of forward movement and to keep the glutes engaged. I also use it to do things like lunges. I think people get bored with the treadmill because they keep it at 1 pace for long periods of time and have limited visual stimulation. So, that's why I make sure to vary the pace and incline and watch something like MBFFL which doesn't require much thought but keeps my attention enough so I don't get bored. I've gotten really good at keeping a workout schedule by picking a show to bingewatch and then setting a rule that I can only watch it while I'm on the treadmill. I've gotten through tons of shows this way.

• Love 2

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I own a treadmill and find it very useful. It is critical if training for a hilly race and you only have flat ground near you (or vice versa). It is definitely a good way to get through shows too ;) But it ain't for everyone, I confess. My husband has a bike trainer next to my treadmill so we have worked out together a lot.

• Love 2

Just weighed in this morning and since January 8 (when I rejoined Weight Watchers), I've lost 29.2 pounds. I'm averaging nearly three pounds lost each week (which is slightly above average) and I couldn't be more thrilled. I've pulled out a few items of clothing that have been lurking in the far recesses of my closet from my skinniest days and moving them to the front where I will see them every time I open the door. I'm keeping myself motivated and really believe that I'll be able to reach my goal weight. I don't know how long it will take, but I'm determined to get there.

• Love 10

Hana, congratulations on your hard work. I need to lose about 10 pounds but cannot seem to start. I know what I need to do just to tired and hurt to much to put in the effort. I also know that if I loose the 10 pounds I probably will not be so tired and hurt so much.

• Love 1
On 3/25/2017 at 9:45 AM, Hana Chan said:

Just weighed in this morning and since January 8 (when I rejoined Weight Watchers), I've lost 29.2 pounds. I'm averaging nearly three pounds lost each week (which is slightly above average) and I couldn't be more thrilled. I've pulled out a few items of clothing that have been lurking in the far recesses of my closet from my skinniest days and moving them to the front where I will see them every time I open the door. I'm keeping myself motivated and really believe that I'll be able to reach my goal weight. I don't know how long it will take, but I'm determined to get there.

CONGRATULATIONS HANA CHAN!  That must feel so good!  It sounds like WW is really working for you.  

I'm now down 15 pounds and I'm thrilled.  I have more to go, but, I too am now looking and feeling better in some clothes I had set aside.  I'm averaging about 2 pounds per week, but, I wish it would be more.  I honestly think that I need to increase my calories.  

I mainly eat fresh or frozen, unprocessed food, but, I treated myself to something that was AWESOME this weekend.  It's meant to be a nutritious food, but, I used it as a treat.  It's Mashed Cauliflower with Bacon and Cheddar Cheese!  It's out of this world delicious.  It's 90 calories for 1/2 cup.  It's new and comes in a frozen tray. It's by one of the major vegetable companies. It's processed, but, doesn't have a crazy number of odd ingredients. 

• Love 1

I've cut out nearly all processed foods from my diet (the exceptions being frozen vegetables, organic pasta sauce and the occasional can of Progresso soup). That's helped me tremendously, not just because food that I cook for myself will have fewer calories/points, but it has a ton less sodium and tastes better.

That being said, I wouldn't survive without frozen veggies. I not only use them at meals (especially in the seasons when fresh veggies are not always available), but for snacking. I especially love Trader Joe's French Green Beans. I just defrost the bag and munch away. A bag will last me two or three days at the office and keeps me for reaching for things that I shouldn't be eating during the day (as well as making sure that I eat enough veggies).

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

I've cut out nearly all processed foods from my diet (the exceptions being frozen vegetables

I've never thought of frozen vegetables as a "processed food," since all they do is flash-freeze them, so you are doing great :)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

I've cut out nearly all processed foods from my diet (the exceptions being frozen vegetables, organic pasta sauce and the occasional can of Progresso soup). That's helped me tremendously, not just because food that I cook for myself will have fewer calories/points, but it has a ton less sodium and tastes better.

That being said, I wouldn't survive without frozen veggies. I not only use them at meals (especially in the seasons when fresh veggies are not always available), but for snacking. I especially love Trader Joe's French Green Beans. I just defrost the bag and munch away. A bag will last me two or three days at the office and keeps me for reaching for things that I shouldn't be eating during the day (as well as making sure that I eat enough veggies).

Wow! I so cannot stand thawed green beans right from the bag. I'll eat the shit out of fresh green beans but must cook them from frozen--and even then I don't "love" them (something happens to the texture). The only processed green beans I like are ones that have been pickled with hot peppers. Processed, but home-processed and delicious. We called them "dilly beans" (the things you learn to make with bountiful harvests).

Edited by TurtlePower
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Wow! I so cannot stand thawed green beans right from the bag. I'll eat the shit out of fresh green beans but must cook them from frozen--and even then I don't "love" them (something happens to the texture). The only processed green beans I like are ones that have been pickled with hot peppers. Processed, but home-processed and delicious. We called them "dilly beans" (the things you learn to make with bountiful harvests).

My mom used to can what we called "hot beans"…they sound like yours and are delicious!  My grandfather had a huge garden and we'd go bean & cucumber picking so we could pickle both.  Our house would smell like peppers, dill & vinegar for days.

• Love 1

I'm planning a small garden this year.  I'm going to plant green beans, cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, green peppers and also an herb garden. I'm eating so many veggies.  My plate looks very full, but, I figure out why not.  They are super delicious and super nutritious  I wish I lived somewhere that I could have an orange and lemon tree as well!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm planning a small garden this year.  I'm going to plant green beans, cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, green peppers and also an herb garden. I'm eating so many veggies.  My plate looks very full, but, I figure out why not.  They are super delicious and super nutritious  I wish I lived somewhere that I could have an orange and lemon tree as well!

Plant based is a great way to eat, especially if they're your plants--you don't need to go anywhere but right out your door for them.  We're planning to move to an area where we will have more space and can have citrus trees. I also want pomegranate, olive and date trees. 

I'm originally from the midwest and really miss having an apple orchard. Apples wouldn't do so well out here. 

You would think that since I'm in an agricultural state, (NC), that produce would be plentiful and less expensive here, but, even at the farmer's market produce is pricey, imo.  It's that way in the grocery stores too.  Occasionally, in the summer, they will have a good deal on squash, but, most of the time, it's too high for my taste.  (I LOVE yellow squash.)  I'm going to grow those as well.  We used to have a grapevine, but, it died for some reason.  

This wasn't a great week for me and next week with Passover isn't likely to be a whole lot better but I didn't gain so... yay!

I'm really looking forward to the warmer weather so I can get more stuff fresh and be less dependent on frozen veggies. I have a small garden so I grow tomatoes, cucumbers and herbs. May try my hand at some root veggies too. But I'm really looking forward to summer fruits. Give me a really good peach or melon and I'll be happy all day.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

This wasn't a great week for me and next week with Passover isn't likely to be a whole lot better but I didn't gain so... yay!

I'm really looking forward to the warmer weather so I can get more stuff fresh and be less dependent on frozen veggies. I have a small garden so I grow tomatoes, cucumbers and herbs. May try my hand at some root veggies too. But I'm really looking forward to summer fruits. Give me a really good peach or melon and I'll be happy all day.

Why is Passover a potential problem? For me it's an opportunity for even healthier options, with חמץ being in so many things. Lots of salads fruits and veggies. Most seders I've been to weren't terribly unhealthy either. 

The traditional foods that we cook are still on the heavy side. My family likes to stick with the stuff that my father had when he was growing up and they're not exactly light. And matzo is a serious empty carb. I have to really limit things like potato kugel and just stick with veggies for my sides. Fortunately we tend to eat Passover dinner earlier in the day so I can have a very light breakfast and skip lunch and I should be able to avoid going completely off track.

1 hour ago, Hana Chan said:

The traditional foods that we cook are still on the heavy side. My family likes to stick with the stuff that my father had when he was growing up and they're not exactly light. And matzo is a serious empty carb. I have to really limit things like potato kugel and just stick with veggies for my sides. Fortunately we tend to eat Passover dinner earlier in the day so I can have a very light breakfast and skip lunch and I should be able to avoid going completely off track.

Well enjoy a little indulgence and from what you've got planned, you'll likely be just fine :). 

I'm still on track with my healthy eating.  Man, can I put away some veggies.  Has anyone else needed a super large plate to hold everything?  It makes me feel awkward, but, I tend to eat a lot of veggies for dinner and it can fill a plate up pretty fast. I weigh and measure things like brown rice and my lean protein, but, am not too careful with things like cucumber, broccoli, green beans, etc. 

Can anyone recommend a smoothie to take on the go?  I tried a yogurt based on last week that was too sweet to drink.  I got another that says NO sugar added, but, I have't tried it yet.  I would prefer something not so sweet.  I need it to take for a meal when I'm too busy to eat food.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
19 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm still on track with my healthy eating.  Man, can I put away some veggies.  Has anyone else needed a super large plate to hold everything?  It makes me feel awkward, but, I tend to eat a lot of veggies for dinner and it can fill a plate up pretty fast. I weigh and measure things like brown rice and my lean protein, but, am not too careful with things like cucumber, broccoli, green beans, etc. 

Can anyone recommend a smoothie to take on the go?  I tried a yogurt based on last week that was too sweet to drink.  I got another that says NO sugar added, but, I have't tried it yet.  I would prefer something not so sweet.  I need it to take for a meal when I'm too busy to eat food.

I have yet to find a pre-made smoothie or shake that I actually like. All of them are too sweet for me, even the sugar free ones because the companies add shit like stevia. You could try experimenting with something like plain Kefir cultured milk and adding things to that (it's like runny yogurt that you can drink). Plain old kefir is pretty good just on its own!

If you want to blend a shake, Isagenix has packets/bins with very low sugar. In fact it's the only protein shake I actually like because it's not sweet one bit (and many people hate it for this reason). It's expensive, but for me it's the only option when I'm short on time (and unless you want to become a "member", don't order directly from their site).

• Love 1

Thanks for the tips.  I'll look into it.  

Besides not wanting pure sugar for the obvious reasons, I am a Type I diabetic and though, I can take extra insulin to cover my carbs, it's easier the less carbs I have to account for. Insulin makes you gain weight.  My Endo confirmed this to me.  So, I try to use my carbs wisely and if I don't need them or enjoy them in a smoothie, then, I figure why waste them.

I'm down another pound!  My, it's slow going, but, at least that means not much loose skin, right!  I'll probably have a little, but, with my slow loss, I hope it is minimal.  

14 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Thanks for the tips.  I'll look into it.  

Besides not wanting pure sugar for the obvious reasons, I am a Type I diabetic and though, I can take extra insulin to cover my carbs, it's easier the less carbs I have to account for. Insulin makes you gain weight.  My Endo confirmed this to me.  So, I try to use my carbs wisely and if I don't need them or enjoy them in a smoothie, then, I figure why waste them.

I'm down another pound!  My, it's slow going, but, at least that means not much loose skin, right!  I'll probably have a little, but, with my slow loss, I hope it is minimal.  

I've heard kale smoothies are pretty decent…and I think you can cover the kale taste with fruits or other veggies.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, OnceSane said:

I've heard kale smoothies are pretty decent…and I think you can cover the kale taste with fruits or other veggies.

Kale blends *beautifully* with frozen pineapple. They're made for each other!

• Love 1

I love the idea of making my own smoothies with kale, pineapple, etc., but, in between, I wanted something quick, that I can just keep in the fridge and grab on my way out that requires no prep time and is easy to just throw in my bag.  Just a on-the-go meal. Sometimes, I have zero time to prepare the meal or even to stop and actually eat food.  If I'm home and have time, I'd love to make them myself, though. 

33 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I love the idea of making my own smoothies with kale, pineapple, etc., but, in between, I wanted something quick, that I can just keep in the fridge and grab on my way out that requires no prep time and is easy to just throw in my bag.  Just a on-the-go meal. Sometimes, I have zero time to prepare the meal or even to stop and actually eat food.  If I'm home and have time, I'd love to make them myself, though. 

Totally understand. I keep low carb protein bars in my vehicle for such occasions like if I forget to bring my lunch to work. They taste awful, but they get the job done (for some reason I can stomach awful tasting over sweet tasting).

19 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Totally understand. I keep low carb protein bars in my vehicle for such occasions like if I forget to bring my lunch to work. They taste awful, but they get the job done (for some reason I can stomach awful tasting over sweet tasting).

I've tried the protein bars  before and there are some that are okay, but, when I'm busy, I won't take the time to eat....DRINK...that's more likely.  I'm going to keep searching.  I hope that I don't waste too much money trying them out. 

Have you ever had people close to you try to discourage you in round about ways?  They say I'm doing great, but, then make comments like, it takes a lot of money to buy all that healthy food, doesn't it?  Or, it's fine to eat that way, but, after a while it gets tiring.  I suppose that some people will just never accept that good, healthy, delicious food is a part of life and that chowing down on empty calories on a daily basis is not a reasonable or wise thing to do. I suppose everyone has to get there in their own time.  It just boggles the mind when I see young people in their teens and twenties who inhale fast food daily and they can barely get out of a chair without a struggle due to their size.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've tried the protein bars  before and there are some that are okay, but, when I'm busy, I won't take the time to eat....DRINK...that's more likely.  I'm going to keep searching.  I hope that I don't waste too much money trying them out. 

Have you ever had people close to you try to discourage you in round about ways?  They say I'm doing great, but, then make comments like, it takes a lot of money to buy all that healthy food, doesn't it?  Or, it's fine to eat that way, but, after a while it gets tiring.  I suppose that some people will just never accept that good, healthy, delicious food is a part of life and that chowing down on empty calories on a daily basis is not a reasonable or wise thing to do. I suppose everyone has to get there in their own time.  It just boggles the mind when I see young people in their teens and twenties who inhale fast food daily and they can barely get out of a chair without a struggle due to their size.  

Not really, especially when I come back with the reply that not all healthy food is expensive. If you're doing your shopping at Whole Foods, are buying convenience health foods or aren't really thinking about it, it can be expensive. But if you look for sales or stuff that's in season, it can actually be kinda cheap. And eating this way even when I'm busy isn't really "tiring". Protein shake for breakfast and then bringing a yogurt, some V-8 juice and and 2 apples to work. I have stuff planned out for the evening, super simple and not "tiring" one bit. 

Good luck finding a decent pre-blended smoothie. If you find one that's not sweet tasting, let me know. 

Okay.  I got so busy yesterday that I didn't have time to eat for most of the day, but, I topped the day off with a good nutritious meal.  As it turns out, I have lost a little more weight and am ONE pound short of 20 pounds.  I hope that happens by this weekend! 

I think that with my garden, I'll be able to supplement my meals this summer and really cut down on the grocery bill.  I buy mainly fresh or frozen and not the processed meals like Weight Watchers.  They may taste okay, but, I don't feel they are best for me, plus, I don't need the added sodium and other additives. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

When I hit menopause, I looked down and saw I was FAT!

I was around 30 lbs overweight at 5'2". (OT-I believe it is mental issues that allow some people to "not really notice" they are above 300 lbs.) 30 was more than enough for me to notice! Additionally, "small" clothing sizes have gotten huge, so you don't think you are all that big. I mean, I was a size 8 at the time! In the 70s, that was a slimmish size! One pair of shorts I have from that time are a size 7--probably equal to a size 1-3 now!

Anyway... there I was menopausal and dumpy feeling and looking. I found a couple of effective hacks. Even though I have always exercised, I now exercised EVERY day--doing yoga on "days off" AND I added a 10-20 minute brisk walk around the neighborhood EVERY day. Also I did my housework and washed my own car. Seems obvious, but most of my peers do not do their own housework or wash their own cars.

I started noticing how much sugar I ate/GI levels of foods and cut way back except for SMALL amounts of dark chocolate. I am lucky that I can handle small portions without the "need" to eat the whole thing. I quit that decompression-snacking-in-front-of-my-computer-after-work. That was a problem area.

Seems obvious. Don't eat the whole thing unless it is a fruit or vegetable. I drank maybe a glass of wine per MONTH. I ate more protein. I ate nuts. I quit eating bagels and bread to the best of my ability.

After a few months, I indeed slimmed down. After my hormones calmed down after menopause, I found I had gone from a size 8 to a size 2. Works for me.

Hard reality hits at this age--the fat and disease zone! Sucks. Your DNA and lifestyle habits catch up with you. To sum up: Don't drink. Low sugar. Protein. EXERCISE including yoga. Sleep.

Boring, sorry. Nothing really new. Happier without hangovers and more cardio fitness, strength and flexibility than I had in my 20s.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, RubyRena17 said:

When I hit menopause, I looked down and saw I was FAT!

I was around 30 lbs overweight at 5'2". (OT-I believe it is mental issues that allow some people to "not really notice" they are above 300 lbs.) 30 was more than enough for me to notice! Additionally, "small" clothing sizes have gotten huge, so you don't think you are all that big. I mean, I was a size 8 at the time! In the 70s, that was a slimmish size! One pair of shorts I have from that time are a size 7--probably equal to a size 1-3 now!

Anyway... there I was menopausal and dumpy feeling and looking. I found a couple of effective hacks. Even though I have always exercised, I now exercised EVERY day--doing yoga on "days off" AND I added a 10-20 minute brisk walk around the neighborhood EVERY day. Also I did my housework and washed my own car. Seems obvious, but most of my peers do not do their own housework or wash their own cars.

I started noticing how much sugar I ate/GI levels of foods and cut way back except for SMALL amounts of dark chocolate. I am lucky that I can handle small portions without the "need" to eat the whole thing. I quit that decompression-snacking-in-front-of-my-computer-after-work. That was a problem area.

Seems obvious. Don't eat the whole thing unless it is a fruit or vegetable. I drank maybe a glass of wine per MONTH. I ate more protein. I ate nuts. I quit eating bagels and bread to the best of my ability.

After a few months, I indeed slimmed down. After my hormones calmed down after menopause, I found I had gone from a size 8 to a size 2. Works for me.

Hard reality hits at this age--the fat and disease zone! Sucks. Your DNA and lifestyle habits catch up with you. To sum up: Don't drink. Low sugar. Protein. EXERCISE including yoga. Sleep.

Boring, sorry. Nothing really new. Happier without hangovers and more cardio fitness, strength and flexibility than I had in my 20s.

Yep, and it does suck. Well done!

I've been an athlete and mostly clean eater my entire life (since age 12) and it's become more difficult even for me. I can't run 75 miles a week like I used to, so I've had to modify things elsewhere. You do what you gotta do, even if it doesn't feel "fair". I suspect I underwent early menopause symptoms due to anorexia and Female Athlete Triad, which has subsequently made my life/training more difficult--but I did it to myself. Gotta try and deal with it rationally. 

• Love 1

And yeah, kind of important--I forgot to mention that you need to put your big girl panties on and face the SCALE. That was part of how I lost the weight. I weighed in about once a week. That's enough to see progress without that stupid, needling, "meaningful" number in your brain all day.

No FitBit for me--too obsessive and distracting. You know when you are going in the right direction.

Remind yourself you were lucky enough to be plopped down in America to have problems with too many calories and too many health screenings to do, as opposed to those plopped down in lands worried about war, infectious disease and famine.

This is OT but health related--that bravery extends to dental visits, mammograms and colonoscopies and cholesterol and blood sugar etc. screenings and watching your blood pressure. I get all the annoying worrisome stuff over with at the beginning of the year.

Don't forget compassion with yourself or others.

• Love 4
On 5/10/2017 at 10:38 AM, RubyRena17 said:

And yeah, kind of important--I forgot to mention that you need to put your big girl panties on and face the SCALE. That was part of how I lost the weight. I weighed in about once a week. That's enough to see progress without that stupid, needling, "meaningful" number in your brain all day.

No FitBit for me--too obsessive and distracting. You know when you are going in the right direction.

Remind yourself you were lucky enough to be plopped down in America to have problems with too many calories and too many health screenings to do, as opposed to those plopped down in lands worried about war, infectious disease and famine.

This is OT but health related--that bravery extends to dental visits, mammograms and colonoscopies and cholesterol and blood sugar etc. screenings and watching your blood pressure. I get all the annoying worrisome stuff over with at the beginning of the year.

Don't forget compassion with yourself or others.

I'm doing pretty much the same thing. I have a colonoscopy coming up.  Dreading that, but not for obvious reasons.  

I have been doing really well with my healthier eating plan that I started in mid Feb.  It's been slow, but, steady. My endocrinologist says that's great and slow is the best.  Still, now, I'm down by 25 pounds, but, it's seems to be stuck.  I have just to be patient, log food intake and keep calories in good range. Plus, get more exercise.  I keep putting that off.  Not good. I did recently go out with some girlfriends to their alma mater campus and we did some crazy running around most of the day and evening.  I kept up pretty well, especially, since one of them is an avid tennis player and the other runs...a lot. 

• Love 1