Type keyword(s) to search

A Little Help From My Friends: How Do YOU Do (A Healthier) You?

• Start Topic

I am not in bad shape, but I could stand to lose 10 pounds, preferably before menopause gets here. I am tracking food on MyFitnessPal, trying to be honest with myself about what I am eating, and using the Peloton every day.

We got the bike in early December and I have been enjoying the spin classes, mainly the Power Zone classes. But I have been surprised by how much I have enjoyed the strength, yoga, and meditation programs. I use the stretching programs after every workout.

I am hoping to increase muscle mass and decrease body fat. If that happens, I should see the weight loss.

• Love 6

I did what may be the last events I do for a long time this weekend. GORUCK Tough, Light and Star Course 15K. We were as careful as can be under the circumstances - no buddy carries, no hugs, no handshakes, avoided as much physical contact as possible.

Now under orders to work remotely (everyone in the company who can work remotely must) and staying out of crowded public places, washing my hands a lot, trying not to get sick or infect anyone else if I am sick.

Stay well everyone.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, cherenkov said:

I did what may be the last events I do for a long time this weekend. GORUCK Tough, Light and Star Course 15K. We were as careful as can be under the circumstances - no buddy carries, no hugs, no handshakes, avoided as much physical contact as possible.

Now under orders to work remotely (everyone in the company who can work remotely must) and staying out of crowded public places, washing my hands a lot, trying not to get sick or infect anyone else if I am sick.

Stay well everyone.

You do likewise. Pittsburgh  is pretty much  closed. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

Yep. Being a homebody the idea of being encouraged not to leave the house is good with me, except for missing my spin classes. My gym is closed for a few weeks. I’m sad for the owner. It’s a small independent business. I’m sure this is hard financially on her. But I am grieving what looks to  be the loss of my daughter’s college graduation. It’s already guaranteed that the dance group she’s been a part of for 4 years won’t have their senior show and now it’s looking very unlikely that she’ll get a graduation ceremony. I know it could be worse but it’s really sad.  

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 1

Yeah it really is sad, but I guess unfortunately needed. I'm 70, diabetic, in the high risk category, and am seriously considering cancelling my yearly visit to my grand kids in CA in June. I live in MT, so far only 6 cases here but who knows? I'm a retired widow and can easily hunker down here for weeks, but get in a metal tube with people from anywhere...I don't think so,

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Yeah it really is sad, but I guess unfortunately needed. I'm 70, diabetic, in the high risk category, and am seriously considering cancelling my yearly visit to my grand kids in CA in June. I live in MT, so far only 6 cases here but who knows? I'm a retired widow and can easily hunker down here for weeks, but get in a metal tube with people from anywhere...I don't think so,

Not only  that, Gram, but  there seems to be a lot of  cases in California.  If it were me, I wouldn't  travel to  California.  Can't  say I blame you.  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Not only  that, Gram, but  there seems to be a lot of  cases in California.  If it were me, I wouldn't  travel to  California.  Can't  say I blame you.  

Thanks, yeah I am pretty sure this trip is a no go. My DD really wants me to move back there or a nearby state, but in this case the state I am in is the safest place for me to be!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Colleenna said:

As of midnight, the entire state is pretty much closed. I have enough of what I need in the house to ride out the peak of the disease. Made sure my parents and babushka are quarantining themselves as well. If Babushka needs supplies, my parents will get them for her. She's not allowed in public until this is done.

10 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I know it could be worse but it’s really sad.

In a couple of years, hopefully, we get to look back at this selfies and photos of us all attending virtual graduations and online shows and remember that time we all pulled together by staying apart to stop the first plague of the 21st century.  But first, we gotta live to tell the story.

6 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Thanks, yeah I am pretty sure this trip is a no go. My DD really wants me to move back there or a nearby state, but in this case the state I am in is the safest place for me to be!

Smart move, staying put. Miss one summer to get many, many more.

• Love 5

So.?. How is everyone  coping?  Is your city/town/state on "lockdown?" 

I have to  admit, I am NOT handling it with  grace. Being unable to  go to the gym is  making me  twitchy. As far as supplies  goes, we're  good on  everything  except lettuce. 

• Love 1

I'm doing well. I am alone, in the country in a comfortable house. I have a NordicTrack which I use daily for a minimum of 60 minutes. If I get cabin fever I can go hiking (although a few days ago I met a couple on a trail on which I had NEVER seen another person). I'm also running out of lettuce but have a big bag of kale to see me through my self-imposed 2 week isolation. Thankfully I have adequate coffee as well.

Every time I cough or my nose runs I wonder if I have a mild case. (My nose runs in the cold weather anyway.) I have gone to extreme lengths to not bring the virus in the house (washing jars and packages of cheese before storing them), using alcohol or bleach swabs on car door handle, credit cards and car keys.

My bf works in an institution which is open 24/7. He has worked 8 out of the past 10 days. His supervisor asked him if he has young children or elderly parents to care for and since he doesn't it has been mentioned that he might have to live there for a while.

• Love 1

I miss my spin classes. I am more worried about the owner of the business though since it’s a small place and she’s shut down. I hope she’s able to come back from it. She claims she’s good for now but the unknown has to be terrifying. 

Meanwhile daily life is pretty normal - we homeschool anyway so that isn’t different. We are about 2 weeks away from a toilet paper crisis but for now we are ok there too. Just tying to avoid the sadness of having my daughter’s college graduation cancelled. I knew it was coming but when they officially announced a couple of days ago it hit me pretty hard. 

2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Being unable to  go to the gym is  making me  twitchy

I feel you.  The gym at my apartment has been closed since last week.  My legs are in bad shape after being hit by a car 2 years ago so there are only so many exercises I can do.  I like to do the eliptical and the exercise bike.  So now my only option is to go outside and walk,  but today it's snowing like crazy so I'm stuck inside.  I'm trying very hard not to overeat but it's hard because I'm really bored.   I work for the City and we're closed until the end of the month.  Unfortunately my husband is a mailman so he has to go in everyday and my daughter works in a supermarket so she has to work through this as well.  I hope all of you stay safe and healthy  and hopefully this will be over soonish.  😷

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Colleenna said:

So.?. How is everyone  coping?  Is your city/town/state on "lockdown?" 

I have to  admit, I am NOT handling it with  grace. Being unable to  go to the gym is  making me  twitchy. As far as supplies  goes, we're  good on  everything  except lettuce. 

I'm an outdoor runner and still marathon training so, I'm okay with it (since running is isolationist). So far, outdoor exercise is being encouraged as long as it's not done in a group. I have a Weider home gym and that covers my weight training regimen and I've stocked up on running shoes for the next 12 months. 

My work has stopped for now, but I'm concentrating on running and gardening (SE NM, it's warm here). Pretty well stocked with food and bins of protein shakes. 

• Love 2

So, I DVRd several episodes of  Gilad's Total Body Sculpting  and did one of them  today.  Not much of a calorie  burn (according to my  Fitbit), but hey, it's  better than  nothing. I've  adjusted my  calorie intake  accordingly.  I really  wish my hip would  allow me to  run, walk, or bike, but not happening.  

The bigger  issue  for me is that I don't  sleep  very well  unless I  thoroughly  exhaust myself.  I swim to burn off the crazy. 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

So, I DVRd several episodes of  Gilad's Total Body Sculpting  and did one of them  today.  Not much of a calorie  burn (according to my  Fitbit), but hey, it's  better than  nothing.

Also, Gilad is very nice to look at.  Just sayin' 🙂

My self-care has involved cute animal videos/aquarium livestreams and chocolate.  Way too much chocolate.

• LOL 2
On 3/20/2020 at 11:41 AM, Colleenna said:

So, I DVRd several episodes of  Gilad's Total Body Sculpting  and did one of them  today.  Not much of a calorie  burn (according to my  Fitbit), but hey, it's  better than  nothing. I've  adjusted my  calorie intake  accordingly.  I really  wish my hip would  allow me to  run, walk, or bike, but not happening.  

The bigger  issue  for me is that I don't  sleep  very well  unless I  thoroughly  exhaust myself.  I swim to burn off the crazy. 

Oh that's gotta be hard! I used to be a swimmer, but an open water one. I had to give it up in the winter and it was tough. 

• Love 1

The Peloton app is free for 90 days right now. There are a lot of different options that do not require a bike or tread. Use a bogus email to sign up. There are strength, yoga, mediation, cardio, outdoor walks/runs, and stretching classes that are pretty awesome.

• Love 4

Speaking of health...she wasn't on the exercise video this morning because she was in the hospital for 8 hours. Ryan posted a picture of her in a gown and hooked up to some monitors.

I got the impression that they taped a bunch of exercise videos at once so perhaps it is old news. The way she manipulates the time line she might have just wanted a day off and posted an old photo.

Now I am concerned about who will walk the dog. Certainly not Babs.

• Love 4