Type keyword(s) to search

A Little Help From My Friends: How Do YOU Do (A Healthier) You?

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Dot said:

Good luck! And may I add a suggestion: write down every morsel you eat -- keeps you very honest.

Two good electronic foods journals: (1) My Fitness Pal app & (2) calorieking.com website.

i also find a food scale useful for measuring portions.

• Love 2

Speaking of scales, my IKEA food scale is slowly giving up the ghost, and I’m glad because weighing things in either grams or pounds (instead of ounces) can be a pain. So! Anyone have a [digital] food scale you love and would recommend? Or are they all pretty much the same?

5 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Good luck!!  Walking and MyFitnessPal are working well for me. I also recommend taking periodic measurements. I was frustrated because I felt like I wasn’t progressing as quickly as I should have but my clothes were feeling a bit looser. Then I took some measurements. I was really shrinking in size. The scale didn’t show it for a bit longer. I still have a long way to go but I recently had to buy new ‘interim’ pants because mine fell off in the Bed Bath and Beyond LOL

You can do this!!

Congrats that's awesome!    Thanks for the encouragement 3girlsforus, it's nice to know I'm not alone.

15 hours ago, Pachengala said:

Speaking of scales, my IKEA food scale is slowly giving up the ghost, and I’m glad because weighing things in either grams or pounds (instead of ounces) can be a pain. So! Anyone have a [digital] food scale you love and would recommend? Or are they all pretty much the same?

I have an OXO 10 kg capacity scale that will measure in grams or pounds and ounces. Got it on Amazon.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Despite the fact that this article is from yahoo, it’s exactly what we’ve all be saying about the damage having someone like Whitney idolized. 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/study-finds-body-positive-movement-might-contributing-obesity-151429022.html

I agree-- with reservations.

Yes,  we don't want to celebrate obesity over health.

But, seriously, where does the obesity come from? ??  Fast, unhealthy, cheap food pushed on us on every corner, commercial, ads online, grocery stores and ALL non- food stores (fabric, tech, and home improvement, etc..) , in schools, on campuses, etc...  plus less activity due to phones and electronics. 

I think they are wrong to "blame" acceptance of obesity on any "movement."  The average size of the American woman is 12-14. The "movement" wasn't around until recently.  

That said, the is more knowledge about health out there--as well as many scams (coconut oil miracles!), so it does take some effort to learn true nutrition. 

I VEHEMENTLY disagrew with Twitney on almost everything and loathe her ridiculous faux dancing and workouts, as well as her immature personality. There is definitely  a limit for any kind of health claim when one as morbidly obese as she is.  

Blame the Big Food industry, not models who are selling larger-size clothes.

Twit is not a clothes model or any kind of role model for larger size folks because she beyond healthy and has gone into slob territory based on her self-professed lack of hygiene and more so, never takes  responsibility for her morbid obesity. No way she is healthy. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

I agree-- with reservations.

Yes,  we don't want to celebrate obesity over health.

But, seriously, where does the obesity come from? ??  Fast, unhealthy, cheap food pushed on us on every corner, commercial, ads online, grocery stores and ALL non- food stores (fabric, tech, and home improvement, etc..) , in schools, on campuses, etc...  plus less activity due to phones and electronics. 

I think they are wrong to "blame" acceptance of obesity on any "movement."  The average size of the American woman is 12-14. The "movement" wasn't around until recently.  

That said, the is more knowledge about health out there--as well as many scams (coconut oil miracles!), so it does take some effort to learn true nutrition. 

I VEHEMENTLY disagrew with Twitney on almost everything and loathe her ridiculous faux dancing and workouts, as well as her immature personality. There is definitely  a limit for any kind of health claim when one as morbidly obese as she is.  

Twit is not a clothes model or any kind of role model for larger size folks because she beyond healthy and has gone into slob territory based on her self-professed lack of hygiene and more so, never takes  responsibility for her morbid obesity. No way she is healthy. 

I don't think it's Whitney (though certainly, the fat acceptance movement contributes.) Nor do I believe that it's the abundance of fast, unhealthy foods. I think there are a lot of factors at work. 

You do know they no longer teach "home ec" in schools. That's where many people who are over 50 learned how to cook. An awful lot of people under 40 have no clue where to start, so the drive through becomes their food source.

In public school health classes, do they even bother to teach nutrition? Or are they completely consumed by talk about drug abuse and sex choices? 

I dunno. Beats me.

• Love 1
(edited)

They still teach cooking in schools....middle and high school. I am a substitute teacher and go to many different schools. Plus a home ec teacher from another district is in my aqua fit class and sells pies made by students  at holidays

The plethora of cooking shows on tv is also  a source of information. In one  class we watched the junior edition of Masterchef. 

What other factors contribute to obesity more than cheap, available junk food??   IDK. 

Edited by Tosia
8 hours ago, Tosia said:

They still teach cooking in schools....middle and high school.

The quality of this education must vary wildly. When i was in high school we had the home-ec for one quarter. Our education consisted largely of making microwave milk shakes.

Home ec/cooking is an elective option in our area but it isn’t something they encourage anyone who is college bound to take. Basically kids are told every class has to be uber-academic or they will never get into college and their lives will be ruined. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cherenkov said:

The quality of this education must vary wildly. When i was in high school we had the home-ec for one quarter. Our education consisted largely of making microwave milk shakes.

Microwave didn't exist when I was in hs. I saw my first one in college, and discovered that if you microwaved pizza, what you wound up with was nuclear weapon cheese on top of a drywall crust. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Microwave didn't exist when I was in hs. I saw my first one in college, and discovered that if you microwaved pizza, what you wound up with was nuclear weapon cheese on top of a drywall crust. 

Countertop microwave has existed since the late 60s, but I think they got far more commonplace in the 80s when I was in school. Everything we "cooked" in home ec was some kind of instant just-add-water type thing or it was microwavable. I learned to cook on my own, trial and error, with actual ingredients made of real food. I'm now pretty good at it, but it has a side effect of me resisting going out to eat and frequently not wanting to eat stuff that I know is essentially bring home and heat. I get a lot of shit for paying "too much" attention to my nutrition, and it's like "No, Karen, I really don't like sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, maple syrup and brown sugar because sweet fucking potatoes are already sweet."

I have been accused of having "orthorexia" because I know what's in what I eat, because i don't like junk food, and because I don't consider a box of Girl Scout Cookies a treat that I want to have. Those who suggest it can go find a rope and piss up it. I'm in better shape than I've ever been in my life. I'm not going to trade that in for being fat, sick and tired all the time.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, cherenkov said:

Countertop microwave has existed since the late 60s, but I think they got far more commonplace in the 80s when I was in school. Everything we "cooked" in home ec was some kind of instant just-add-water type thing or it was microwavable. I learned to cook on my own, trial and error, with actual ingredients made of real food. I'm now pretty good at it, but it has a side effect of me resisting going out to eat and frequently not wanting to eat stuff that I know is essentially bring home and heat. I get a lot of shit for paying "too much" attention to my nutrition, and it's like "No, Karen, I really don't like sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, maple syrup and brown sugar because sweet fucking potatoes are already sweet."

I have been accused of having "orthorexia" because I know what's in what I eat, because i don't like junk food, and because I don't consider a box of Girl Scout Cookies a treat that I want to have. Those who suggest it can go find a rope and piss up it. I'm in better shape than I've ever been in my life. I'm not going to trade that in for being fat, sick and tired all the time.

I graduated from hs in the mid 60s at 15. 

I don't understand putting marshmallows on sweet potatoes. My mother always topped hers with lemon slices so thin you could read a newspaper through them. 

17 hours ago, Tosia said:

Big Food AND Washington AND our university research centers and health agencies that sold out to Big Food AND the emergence of microwave and other energies of convenience (eg, WiFi, cordless phones, etc.) that mess up our sleep cycles AND areas where basic groceries are not available (food "deserts") AND the spread of affordability between crappy (ie nonorganic) and real (ie, organic) food.  Doesn't even have to be junk food.  As just one example, to a large extent our veggies and grains are now doused with glyphosate.  Glyphosate harms our gut microbes.  Unhealthy microbes can drive obesity.  Ditto the sugar substitutes that aren't good for our gut.

• Love 1

You do know they no longer teach "home ec" in schools.

My daughter took it last year, for a semester, in 7th grade. We also have her cook at home and talk with her about nutrition.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I graduated from hs in the mid 60s at 15. 

I don't understand putting marshmallows on sweet potatoes. My mother always topped hers with lemon slices so thin you could read a newspaper through them. 

It's a Southern thang, like flavoring a mess of greens with a slab of pork fat. If a dish is over sweetened, over fried, or over fat added, you can bet the recipe is in a Southern cookbook.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, cherenkov said:

These days, the use of my microwave is pretty much confined to popping "lucky popcorn" during the second period of Pens games. Well, that, and my hubs reheating coffee. 

4 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

These days, the use of my microwave is pretty much confined to popping "lucky popcorn" during the second period of Pens games. Well, that, and my hubs reheating coffee. 

I make poached eggs in mine. Heat up water for tea. Reheat leftovers.

• Love 1

Friends, I have a concern. I have a friend IRL who has two daughters. Daughter #1 is a college freshman, overweight but not obese (yet....the freshman 15 hasn't piled on yet). Daughter #2 is a bigger (pun intended) concern. She's 12, and morbidly obese ALREADY. I see nothing but misery ahead for the child. 

Here's where I need advice: do I say something to the mama? We're friends, but not close friends. 

Friends, I have a concern. I have a friend IRL who has two daughters. Daughter #1 is a college freshman, overweight but not obese (yet....the freshman 15 hasn't piled on yet). Daughter #2 is a bigger (pun intended) concern. She's 12, and morbidly obese ALREADY. I see nothing but misery ahead for the child. 

Here's where I need advice: do I say something to the mama? We're friends, but not close friends. 

I vote no. Their mom knows they are overweight. The kids know they are overweight. Unless you have reason to believe the mother has no knowledge at all about nutrition and exercise, you won't be telling them anything they don't already know. If mom wants advice or help she will ask for it.

I think it's kind of you to be concerned though. Hopefully things will work out for all involved.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

Aside from just inviting them to do activities with you (that are within their capabilities and don't really involve food) there isn't anything you can say that will be well received. The mother is probably hearing it from the kid's school and doctor. Being direct about it is likely to just cause an end to your friendship with the mother.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

I vote no. Their mom knows they are overweight. The kids know they are overweight. Unless you have reason to believe the mother has no knowledge at all about nutrition and exercise, you won't be telling them anything they don't already know. If mom wants advice or help she will ask for it.

I think it's kind of you to be concerned though. Hopefully things will work out for all involved.

Thanks. For sure mom knows. She used to be obese, used to be my workout buddy, but once she lost weight she quit working out. Dad is still grossly obese, though. 

• Love 1

Just last night when we had zucchini pesto my bf again mentioned that when I cook he doesn't miss the meat.  Because eating refined carbohydrates as well as sugar results in eating more empty calories and since some obese people are starving to death because they lack the micro and macro nutrients I suggest you find a recipe that is healthy, good tasting and satiating and invite them over to "try out the new recipe you just found". That might lead to regular recipe swaps.

I also concur that the mother knows they are overweight, they know they are overweight and that knowledge doesn't result in any positive change in diet/exercise. I just think that introducing other ways of eating without talking about it might result in an eventual  behavioral change.

• Love 1

I want to share this article on how fat affects arthritis.

https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/comorbidities/obesity-arthritis/fat-and-arthritis.php

As I have commented before in this forum, I once weighed 380 #s & lost 120 before I couldn't manage any further loss. (Set point theory, anyone?) I vowed I would never regain that weight.

Over the past 2 years, paying no attention, I finally realized that I had regained 20 #s. To me that meant 380 #s was next. So I have been "intentionally" losing weight thru diet, exercise & journaling for the past 3 months. I'm delighted that I've lost those 20 #s.

The article states:  "Every pound of excess weight exerts about 4 pounds of extra pressure on the knees. So a person who is 10 pounds overweight has 40 pounds of extra pressure on his knees; if a person is 100 pounds overweight, that is 400 pounds of extra pressure on his knees. “

I can believe that. The main reason I finally came to & realized I had gained the extra wgt is that I could hardly walk any more. Well, of course I couldn't! I had added 80 #s of pressure on my knees!

I hope you're still lurking in this forum, Twit, and will realize how much damage you are doing to your knees. You are not healthy at your wgt. You are deluding yourself --- and harming your fans -- by making that claim

• Love 7
On August 9, 2018 at 12:24 PM, Colleenna said:

I agree that no, you dont say anything.  If she asked for your opinion or suggestions, maybe you would say something.  But its a touchy subject, and would likely not be well received.  I agree that they are all well aware of their weight(s), bad eating habits etc

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dot said:

I want to share this article on how fat affects arthritis.

https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/comorbidities/obesity-arthritis/fat-and-arthritis.php

As I have commented before in this forum, I once weighed 380 #s & lost 120 before I couldn't manage any further loss. (Set point theory, anyone?) I vowed I would never regain that weight.

Over the past 2 years, paying no attention, I finally realized that I had regained 20 #s. To me that meant 380 #s was next. So I have been "intentionally" losing weight thru diet, exercise & journaling for the past 3 months. I'm delighted that I've lost those 20 #s.

The article states:  "Every pound of excess weight exerts about 4 pounds of extra pressure on the knees. So a person who is 10 pounds overweight has 40 pounds of extra pressure on his knees; if a person is 100 pounds overweight, that is 400 pounds of extra pressure on his knees. “

I can believe that. The main reason I finally came to & realized I had gained the extra wgt is that I could hardly walk any more. Well, of course I couldn't! I had added 80 #s of pressure on my knees!

I hope you're still lurking in this forum, Twit, and will realize how much damage you are doing to your knees. You are not healthy at your wgt. You are deluding yourself --- and harming your fans -- by making that claim

You really think she lurks here? That's truly pathetic. She ought to check herself into a mental health facility.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Colleenna said:

You really think she lurks here? That's truly pathetic. She ought to check herself into a mental health facility.

She is extremely dedicated to any attention she can get. Positive, negative, it doesn't really matter to her. She's into the attention. I have no doubt that she and her barnacles read here.

On a healthy note, I ran the Two Face 10K (first a 10K on the road, and then a 10K on the trail) yesterday. It was a great time, but very warm and humid, which made the races harder, but in order to get both halves of the medal you have to complete both races.

twofacemedal.jpg

• Love 6
1 hour ago, cherenkov said:

She is extremely dedicated to any attention she can get. Positive, negative, it doesn't really matter to her. She's into the attention. I have no doubt that she and her barnacles read here.

On a healthy note, I ran the Two Face 10K (first a 10K on the road, and then a 10K on the trail) yesterday. It was a great time, but very warm and humid, which made the races harder, but in order to get both halves of the medal you have to complete both races.

twofacemedal.jpg

Holy cow. 20k ? You are chock full of awesome.

• Love 3
On 8/12/2018 at 10:09 PM, Colleenna said:

Holy cow. 20k ? You are chock full of awesome.

Thank you, but really what I do isn't that awesome. Most people could do it if they worked on building up distance by progressively taking longer hikes. Trail running like that is a lot less about the "running" and more about the just "continue moving forward". In another month I'm going to put my willingness to endure to the test and do a trail marathon with over 6000 feet of elevation gain. Those are so much about making yourself go on even when you're tired, hungry and in pain. The longest trail race I've done is 30K (18.6 miles) and my longest hike was 24 miles, both of which I completed solely because I refused to give up. This is the longest trail run and most elevation gain I've ever attempted.

And I have to finish it in under nine hours.

3 minutes ago, Brooks said:

As an old lady, I have to ask.

Are there bathroom facilities along the route?

;^)

It's in the woods so you just kind of select a tree or bush. The yellow bandana is not for face wiping.

• Love 2

I started my weight loss journey 7 years ago or so, I lost weight (YAY!) but it gained it back over the years. Two years ago I joined Planet Fitness, it was fair.  The trainer was good but had other clients to work with. I stopped going because work was busy and I was tired and the drive stunk. I walked into LA Fitness February 2017 and I've kept it up. A Year and a half later I'm 70 pounds lighter. I work with a fabulous trainer I go to classes regularly. I track everything, I don't get upset when I creep up.  

It's really hard, but I needed to be selfish and take care of my health. I had great numbers when it comes to cholesterol and diabetes, my only issue was high blood pressure. My own BP has gone down  with the aid of medicine and everything that I have done for myself. 

I follow a great group on Facebook called Girls Gone Strong and the sub group GGS Strong Women Lift Each Other Up.  

Edited by IllinoisGirl7
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, cherenkov said:

Thank you, but really what I do isn't that awesome. Most people could do it if they worked on building up distance by progressively taking longer hikes. Trail running like that is a lot less about the "running" and more about the just "continue moving forward". In another month I'm going to put my willingness to endure to the test and do a trail marathon with over 6000 feet of elevation gain. Those are so much about making yourself go on even when you're tired, hungry and in pain. The longest trail race I've done is 30K (18.6 miles) and my longest hike was 24 miles, both of which I completed solely because I refused to give up. This is the longest trail run and most elevation gain I've ever attempted.

And I have to finish it in under nine hours.

When will you pick/start training for the tri? 

31 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

When will you pick/start training for the tri? 

The tri is actually chosen. I'm doing a sprint tri on Sunday in Keystone State Park, PA. I don't know if I'm ready, much like every other race, so I will go and I will do whatever I have to in order to finish it. This one will be a learning experience that will hopefully teach me a lot to make me better at future triathlons and tackling longer distance like Olympic before I attempt a half Ironman and eventually an Ironman.

1 hour ago, cherenkov said:

The tri is actually chosen. I'm doing a sprint tri on Sunday in Keystone State Park, PA. I don't know if I'm ready, much like every other race, so I will go and I will do whatever I have to in order to finish it. This one will be a learning experience that will hopefully teach me a lot to make me better at future triathlons and tackling longer distance like Olympic before I attempt a half Ironman and eventually an Ironman.

You'll do fine. Don't forget to post a picture of the finishers medal. :)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

That's great! How was your time, and what do you need to improve before the next one?

My time was reasonably acceptable to me for a first go at it. I'm waiting for the official results to be posted online, but I tracked the whole thing on my watch and did better than I expected to. My biggest challenges are hill climbs on the bike and that I am a slow runner so I lost time there. I was pleased with my transitions, which I hadn't practiced at all.

Swim technique can use work but I did not tire as much as I thought I would, which is likely due to the fact that I did all of my training in a lake, so I'll take that one as a win.

• Love 4

@cherenkovooh ooh ooh!! I just saw a FB page and immediately thought of you! It's "Will Run For Bling and Charity." (You medal slut you, LOL)  And they have a current challenge that you can do with very little effort: 200 miles in 100 days. 

Apparently FB looks at my posts and likes and check-in and decided that I needed to see that FB page.

Starting a program to reduce inflammation and lose weight.by lowering the acidic environment.in my body. Some food restrictions, lots of alkaline water ( not part of the filter MLM ) and red light therapy. I'll keep you posted! 

I did walk five miles yesterday and do 30 minutes of isometric exercise. You folks in this forum inspire me and Whit's physical decline scares me so here I go!

• Love 5

Inflammation is behind so much of our chronic disease.  Fortunately we can have our blood tested for things like c-reactive protein and fasting insulin to have a better understanding of where we are.   (But make very sure you are comparing those values to optimal values, not the lab ranges which just reflect the poor health of our society.)  I've been of the opinion for a while that our gut microbes and our mitochondria are running the show.  Keep them happy and healthy and much good will come of it!  Spankydoll, good luck on your journey!

• Love 1

I'm sure you know that refined carbohydrates result in inflammation. For me they also put me into a fugue state which result in eating more than I should. When I am strict about limiting sugar to sources found within food as well as eating clean I am better equipped to make good food choices. The local supermarket had a special on Lobster rolls today. They cost $6 each and there was a choice of premade in a white bread bun, lobster salad and roll to be made later, and 3 oz of lobster salad  on its own. I opted for the last choice since I know what the rolls do to my insulin level - and hunger. I am fairly sure if I had gone with choice one, they wouldn't have survived the trip home.

• Love 2

I wonder if anyone could suggest a not-too-strenuous way to firm up a saggy tummy? I am 55 years old, walked my way down from about 150 lbs to 122 (assuming the vet's scale is accurate, l weighed myself when we were there the other day, lol) and at 5'5", I don't necessarily want to lose any more weight. I feel good, I feel light, but this damn tummy just won't get out of my way and I'm tired of it. Anybody?

The way I see it, there are three likely reasons the tummy sticks out - it's full cuz you're eating tons of fiber (well, it sounded like a nice excuse for me about me), loss of muscle tone (what you're asking about), and visceral fat.  If there is any chance it is visceral fat, then worth losing even if you otherwise think you're at a good weight, and 122/5'5" sounds great to me!   Looking forward to what those in the know tell you because I need that advice too.

@scootypuffjr, if it's loose, saggy skin there's probably no solution except skin-removal surgery. I have a huge panniculus from my 120 # wgt loss. But I am so happy with the wgt loss that I can live with the sag. I hope you find a solution. But, if not, I hope you can be happy with your wgt loss. ( I think that's terrific!)

Edited by Dot
6 hours ago, scootypuffjr said:

I wonder if anyone could suggest a not-too-strenuous way to firm up a saggy tummy? I am 55 years old, walked my way down from about 150 lbs to 122 (assuming the vet's scale is accurate, l weighed myself when we were there the other day, lol) and at 5'5", I don't necessarily want to lose any more weight. I feel good, I feel light, but this damn tummy just won't get out of my way and I'm tired of it. Anybody?

Have you had children, by chance? If so there may not be a ton you can do about it with exercise, but if it is fat and not, as @Brooks and @Dot mention, skin, you could look into CoolSculpting, a non-invasive cosmetic procedure where they freeze off the fat. Since you’re otherwise slim, you could be a good candidate. I had one session for my saddlebags—I’d need one more for complete results but I’m pretty happy with it.

Mostly I’m chiming in to say how much I love your screen name—wish I had thought of Scootypuff!