Type keyword(s) to search

A Little Help From My Friends: How Do YOU Do (A Healthier) You?

• Start Topic

On 10/15/2017 at 0:25 PM, Me from ME said:

I could polish off a few tomato and mayonnaise sandwiches 

if a recipe calls for sugar I pulverize a few slices for a little bit of sweetness.

Okay - first, I have to say, having grown up in Mississippi there is little in this world as divine as a tomato and mayo sandwich. Especially if the tomato is home-grown. And now I would KILL for a tomato sandwich. Sigh... 

Second - the crushed-banana-chip-as-sweetener is GENIUS!!! One question though @Me from ME - does it flavour what you're putting the banana powder in much? I like the idea of a truly natural sweetener but don't necessarily want banana-flavoured everything. 

One question though @Me from ME - does it flavour what you're putting the banana powder in much? I like the idea of a truly natural sweetener but don't necessarily want banana-flavoured everything.

It doesn't seem to make things taste like bananas, I guess it depends how much you use. But keep in mind I dehydrate my own banana slices since some of the ones available in the grocery store have had sugar added. When I make tomato sauce from tomatoes I have processed without salt or sugar I take the acidity out by tossing a few carrots in and later puree.  I happen to LOVE Veganaise. It is expensive and I think it is one of those substitute foods that may actually taste better than mayonnaise. I have tried using grape seed oil to make my own substitute Veganaise but it's not right. I have had good luck using a blender or stick mixer to make a type of mayo using unsweetened, unflavored soy milk, about 6 slices of dried banana, garlic, a small amount of cider vinegar and olive oil. It doesn't have preservatives but it lasts several days in the fridge.

And, yes, there is nothing quite like tomato and mayo sandwiches on white bread. And, I could not stop eating them this summer. With full awareness that white bread is just about like eating cake and it was turning on those pleasure centers in my brain.

• Love 1

My gym got a bunch of new equipment, with two notable additions: 1) I can access my Netflix account and watch whatever I want while doing my cardio! Big plus. 2) We got stepmills! I am obsessed. Stepmills are basically escalators. Real stairs that never end. I've built up to doing 139 floors in 45 minutes and DAMN a girl gets sweaty. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

My gym got a bunch of new equipment, with two notable additions: 1) I can access my Netflix account and watch whatever I want while doing my cardio! Big plus. 2) We got stepmills! I am obsessed. Stepmills are basically escalators. Real stairs that never end. I've built up to doing 139 floors in 45 minutes and DAMN a girl gets sweaty. 

Stepmills! Oh My Gerd!  Many years ago, when I was in competitive shape, I had a trainer who used to speed it up and make me run on that thing. I used to get little red spots dancing in front of my eyes during that work out.

• Love 1

I've done a few hikes up mountains that were just like stepmills. As a matter of fact, two days ago a two mile trail took 2 hours each way. Some parts were so steep that ladders had been installed. The view at the top was well worth the sore muscles I feel today.

Two spiralizer recipes follow. One is spicy, one is more creamy. Some ingredients may seem alien but I would strongly suggest you seek them out.

Carrot Noodles with Cashew Cream Sauce

Blend ingredients for cream sauce and set aside

½ C raw, unsalted cashews soaked 2 hours and rinsed

¼ C diced sweet vidallia onion sauteed

2 cloves minced garlic

1 T nutritional yeast

1 T lemon juice

6 T vegetable broth

2 large carrots – spiralized

3 cups sliced Portobello mushrooms sauteed in 1 T olive oil

1 link sweet vegetarian sausage cooked and sliced or chopped

Saute spiralized carrots briefly, not too much or noodles will lose their integrity. Add sauteed mushrooms and sliced vegetarian sausage, pour heated cream sauce over.

Kung Pao Tofu

Kung Pao Sauce

Whisk and set aside

3 T soy sauce

1 T mirin (rice wine vinegar)

1 tsp honey

2 T dark sesame oil

1 lb extra firm tofu, drained, blotted dry and cut in 1 inch cubes then sauteed in 2 tsp coconut oil

8 oz snow peas

2 cloves minced garlic

1 T minced ginger root

4 red chiles, stems and seeds removed chopped very fine

3 scallions diced

3 T roasted cashews chopped

1 medium sweet onion - spiralized using angel hair blade soaked in cold water and rinsed. After tofu is cooked add onions, cook until wilted. Add snowpeas, garlic, ginger and chiles, and scallions. Pour sauce over. Top with chopped cashews.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

I've done a few hikes up mountains that were just like stepmills. As a matter of fact, two days ago a two mile trail took 2 hours each way. Some parts were so steep that ladders had been installed. The view at the top was well worth the sore muscles I feel today.

Two spiralizer recipes follow. One is spicy, one is more creamy. Some ingredients may seem alien but I would strongly suggest you seek them out.

Carrot Noodles with Cashew Cream Sauce

Blend ingredients for cream sauce and set aside

½ C raw, unsalted cashews soaked 2 hours and rinsed

¼ C diced sweet vidallia onion sauteed

2 cloves minced garlic

1 T nutritional yeast

1 T lemon juice

6 T vegetable broth

2 large carrots – spiralized

3 cups sliced Portobello mushrooms sauteed in 1 T olive oil

1 link sweet vegetarian sausage cooked and sliced or chopped

Saute spiralized carrots briefly, not too much or noodles will lose their integrity. Add sauteed mushrooms and sliced vegetarian sausage, pour heated cream sauce over.

Kung Pao Tofu

Kung Pao Sauce

Whisk and set aside

3 T soy sauce

1 T mirin (rice wine vinegar)

1 tsp honey

2 T dark sesame oil

1 lb extra firm tofu, drained, blotted dry and cut in 1 inch cubes then sauteed in 2 tsp coconut oil

8 oz snow peas

2 cloves minced garlic

1 T minced ginger root

4 red chiles, stems and seeds removed chopped very fine

3 scallions diced

3 T roasted cashews chopped

1 medium sweet onion - spiralized using angel hair blade soaked in cold water and rinsed. After tofu is cooked add onions, cook until wilted. Add snowpeas, garlic, ginger and chiles, and scallions. Pour sauce over. Top with chopped cashews.

What if you don't have nutritional yeast? Is it absolutely necessary? The cashew sauce seems delicious but I live in the boonies, nowhere near a store. I have everything else. 

I love hikes like that, there are similar ones in Yellowstone and Tetons national parks. Man I miss Wyoming. 

8 hours ago, Me from ME said:

Two spiralizer recipes follow. 

Yay thank you! I did end up getting the spiralizer attachment for my Kitchenaid for my birthday and I'm totally obsessed with it. I'm embarrassed to say it to me 'til 41 years old to try a parsnip, and I'm hooked. Anyway, been looking forward to these, @Me from ME--thanks again! 

@ClareWalks, I follow Shay Mitchell and Gabrielle Union on Snapchat because they both post their workouts, which are always amazing. Well, Mitchell's trainer had her doing high knees into an arabesque on each step of the stepmill, and when I tried it, it had me cryyyyyin'. That machine is a killer! If I've only got the time or attention span for like 15 minutes of cardio, that's what I do. 

• Love 1

What if you don't have nutritional yeast? Is it absolutely necessary?

I guess it wouldn't make the recipe inedible but including it will definitely add an extra flavor note. I would gladly send you some if I knew of a way to do it.  (Since I started using nutritional yeast I have started to use it a lot since I really do like it.) There is a venerable old recipe that used to be available on free recipe cards  in health food stores for spicy fried tofu. It always gave the choice of parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast and I never bothered with the latter. Then when I read about the cellulose that is added to parmesan I have been backing off on that.

I'm embarrassed to say it to me 'til 41 years old to try a parsnip

And I positively detested the taste until I started spiralizing it and using interesting sauces.

I absolutely love lentils now. Ironically, the one recipe that my mother served that made me gag when I was a kid was from the Shaker Cookbook and it was called Baked Lentil Loaf. I looked up the recipe when I was at her house recently and I do think it would make me have the same reaction. The only ingredients were  mashed lentils and chopped onion. It was grey and it was dry. But now, bring on the Lentil Stew and Lentil Burgers.

• Love 1

Speaking of things like parsnip--I followed a recipe for a root veggie mash the other day and could not stand the odor emanating from the pot. I used rutabaga, parsnip, celery root and turnip. The house smelled like a men's urinal for a few hours after and I could not stomach eating any of it. Think I'll stick to my cauliflower mash which is consistently good.

I also love lentils--for soup I put 3/4 in the food processor to smooth the texture. But yeah, any time someone doesn't know how to prepare something or does it poorly, you're going to hate that food until someone serves it to you properly. I hated zucchini throughout my childhood because when my parents made them, they were bland, flavorless mush. 

• Love 1

Good to know that Bragg's offer it. Yeah, I really like the taste as well as knowing that it is better for me than parmesan cheese. I usually buy it in bulk at the natural food store but I do use Bragg's aminos as well as raw cider vinegar.

Rainbowrockgal do you have any recipes you'd like to share?

• Love 1
On 11/11/2017 at 4:32 AM, Me from ME said:

Kung Pao Tofu

Finally made this tonight and it was a hit (neither my husbo nor my toddler are particularly fussy eaters, but I'm hugely critical of things I make so I'm qualified to say it)! I was worried because I only had regular yellow onions but I soaked the "noodles" for a really long time and there was no overpowering onion taste. Next time I think I'm going to reduce the sauce a little to give it more of a caramelized consistency, see if we like that. Thank you! 

I found a recipe--prior to seeing your cashew sauce--for a vegan cashew alfredo sauce and again, though I was skeptical, we all loved it over sweet potatoes and broccoli. Cashews seem to be the new almonds, and perhaps more versatile even. 

I'm obsessed with my spiralizer but...I'm a freak about food waste (I really do think it's a sin to waste food in this world) so I am a bit disappointed by all the collateral scraps it creates. I've started throwing them into a tupperware in the freezer and then just tossing them into smoothies; that means my toddler is getting even more fruits and veg throughout the day, so it's worked out to be a win-win. 

• Love 1

Happy Thanksgiving gang! I pounded out an hour at the gym and I will eat whatever I want today. I have a half marathon on Saturday so I figure it's a carbo-load. I wonder what our friend Whitney is carbo-loading for today! Big 5-minute workout with Will? (just a little Thanksgiving shade. I don't have any in-laws in town so I have to do it somewhere, LOL)

• Love 2

So glad this holiday is over. I don’t much care for all the planning and stuff that goes into thanksgiving. I’d happily eat spicy seafood salad at a sushi restaurant and not have the mess. This year I did all the cleaning and watched everyone else eat. No excess calories here (don’t care for turkey and the fixings anyways). 

I'm obsessed with my spiralizer but...I'm a freak about food waste (I really do think it's a sin to waste food in this world) so I am a bit disappointed by all the collateral scraps it creates.

Pachengala, I abhor waste as well. My hand cranked spiralizer  leaves a piece that is no more than 1/2 inch and what ever diameter the vegetable happens to be.  We usually cut it up into matchsticks and use as a vehicle for hummous. Since I have a KitchenAid mixer I was considering getting the spiralizing attachment. Can you say a bit more about the amount of waste vegetable it leaves behind?

Last night we did have a little trouble spiralizing an onion that was more flat than round and we couldn't use the angel hair blade. After reading your comments about the thin sauce for Kung Pao I used the tried and true method of mixing some cornstarch into the broth before adding to the wok.  Oh, and since it was a spur of the moment dinner and we didn't have snow peas, asparagus filled in quite nicely.

On 12/8/2017 at 11:46 AM, Me from ME said:

Can you say a bit more about the amount of waste vegetable it leaves behind?

I wish I was home so I could just take a pic, but I'm traveling so I'll try to describe it. There's the 'core' of the food left over, which is about a half inch in diameter, and then the 'stump' of the food, about a half inch thick, depending on how close you can shave it. It's not a huge amount, but it's not nothing either!

On 12/9/2017 at 3:17 PM, Dot said:

http://wapo.st/2AtMtsj

"Nine Positive Food Messages to Send Yourself over the Holidays," from today's Washington Post.

Just read the article and it's refreshing advice. I'm guilty of #7, however--I'm constantly trying to "healthify" certain recipes. But the author is correct, it's once a year. Enjoy it while we can, it goes by fast!

• Love 1

Okay so I have had shoulder issues for months, I figure it's tendonitis, so I decided to try eating a lot less processed sugar (basically cutting out cookies, candy, etc) because processed sugar supposedly causes inflammation. Well, I am a believer now. Not only did I lose 2 lb in 3 days without even trying, I am not craving sugar now (eating it leads to craving more), I'm eating fewer calories in general, and my shoulders feel GREAT. Highly recommend trying this if you have chronic inflammation. Going to avoid shoulder exercise for two weeks, too. Losing a few lbs should make my pullups easier so I am excited!

• Love 5

I am not craving sugar now (eating it leads to craving more),

This x1000!

For me just a little bit activates that part of my brain. Products made with white flour have the same effect on me.  When you consider the ingredients of breakfast cereal it is almost like starting the day with dessert.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Okay so I have had shoulder issues for months, I figure it's tendonitis, so I decided to try eating a lot less processed sugar (basically cutting out cookies, candy, etc) because processed sugar supposedly causes inflammation. Well, I am a believer now. Not only did I lose 2 lb in 3 days without even trying, I am not craving sugar now (eating it leads to craving more), I'm eating fewer calories in general, and my shoulders feel GREAT. Highly recommend trying this if you have chronic inflammation. Going to avoid shoulder exercise for two weeks, too. Losing a few lbs should make my pullups easier so I am excited!

Good for you! I'm in a similar situation having some knee issues (my dog blew the right one out). Things heal so much slower now and I can't really walk--it's more of a hobble--so I've been on my elliptical. With its limited range of motion I can still get cardio in. 

I already eat low sugar but was thinking all out vegan/plant based. I'm going to see if it makes a difference in my recovery time; it's very frustrating for me not to be out running/walking. Getting older sucks. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Good luck @TurtlePower! Agree, getting older ain't glamorous. Let us know if your diet helps!

Will do. I've done it before, it's just really hard when your spouse doesn't like vegetables (so you're preparing 2 different meals) but with getting older, it's time to embrace it again. Already begun, breakfast was alfalfa sprout, pepper and lettuce wrap with miso broth. I feel cleaner inside already.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

So, feeling better already back on plant based. Inflammation is going down, I was able to run/walk 3 miles today. Carrot juice and Brussels Sprouts for breakfast. 

Does the plant based diet keep  you full? Also I tend  to be a little hypoglycemic  and get lightheaded aND brain fog if I do not eat  some protein . 

Does the plant based diet keep  you full? Also I tend  to be a little hypoglycemic  and get lightheaded and  brain fog if I do not eat  some protein . 

I hope you don't mind if I reply to your question. As I have mentioned before I try eat mostly raw vegan. The natural fiber does tend to keep you feeling full. (Think of eating an apple versus drinking the apple juice.) The healthy oils (olive oil, nuts and avocados) are also satisfying.  My protein is from beans (lentils, garbanzos, and tofu) My boyfriend was adamant that he did not like beans for the longest time and then he tried hummus and most nights when left to his own devices will eat it with raw vegetable dippers. He just thought he didn't like tofu and that is no longer the case either.

Depending upon how strict you are about avoiding all sugars, here is a recipe that requires some honey as well as maple syrup. I think I have used agave or maple syrup instead of honey for the filling. (I've mentioned before that I try to create a bit of sweetness with dehydrated banana powder.) I give credit to my boyfriend for me being able to share this recipe since he made it for me after finding it on the Detoxinista website, which I highly recommend.

It's not low calorie, and the ingredients may be a little pricey.  However, If you try this dessert you'll find that you will feel satisfied after a small portion.

Detoxinista's

No-Bake Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars (Paleo)
Makes one 9-inch square pan

Ingredients:

Date Crust:
1 1/2 cups raw walnut halves
8 soft dates, pitted
1 tablespoon coconut oil
Pinch of sea salt

Cheesecake Filling:

2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours and drained (or 1 cup raw cashew butter)
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup melted coconut oil

Strawberry Sauce:
1 cup diced strawberries
3 tablespoons maple syrup

Directions:

Line an 9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper and set aside. To prepare the crust, process the walnuts in the bowl of a large food processor fitted with an “S” blade until a fine, crumbly meal is formed. Add in the dates, coconut oil and salt, and process again until a sticky dough is formed. Press the dough into the bottom of the baking dish, and place it in the freezer to set.

To prepare the cheesecake filling, combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender, and blend until the filling is completely smooth. You may have to stop and scrape down the blender several times to get a smooth result. Adjust any flavors to taste, then pour the filling over the crust and smooth the top with a spatula.

To prepare the strawberry sauce, combine the strawberries and maple syrup in the blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a small saucepan, and bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Allow the mixture to bubble for several minutes, until it has thickened and has a syrup-like texture.

To create the swirl-effect, spoon the strawberry syrup into horizontal lines across the cheesecake, then drag a clean knife through the filling and topping in a perpendicular direction. Drag the knife back and forth, from top to bottom, several times until the syrup is swirled enough to your liking. Place in the freezer to set until firm, at least 6 hours.

Remove the pan from the freezer and grab the parchment paper to easily remove the cheesecake. Use a sharp knife to slice the bars, and feel free to cut off the curved edges to create perfect serving squares. (I like to use the edges as taste-testing pieces.) Return the bars to the freezer until ready to serve, and keep them chilled in a sealed container for best texture.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Does the plant based diet keep  you full? Also I tend  to be a little hypoglycemic  and get lightheaded aND brain fog if I do not eat  some protein . 

For me not always, but I don't need to feel full--I know it's balancing a very fine line, but I'm used to feeling hungry from having been anorexic. Unless I'm feeling woozy, I don't mind. The hungrier I am, the more healty-type foods I crave (don't hate me). I cannot eat certain raw plant fibers without getting stomach pain/runs so I tend to blend or juice things like carrots, spinach and kale and food process things like cauliflower and broccoli.

As far as protein, I don't seem to need as much as other people do. Even when I was racing as a sub-elite I didn't eat much protein, just enough to maintain muscle. Like ME, my protein comes from beans and such but also from fish (I'm not full vegan and I live near a trout/striped bass river). Love me some raw salmon, too. 

Edited to add: Managed 3 miles, no pain. Followed that up with a large spinach, kale, cilantro and tomato juice purée. So much easier to suck salad through a straw. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 2

Thanks for the  info. I cannot eat raw  vegetables  I have some teeth  missing. I have tried  a vegan diet and just had trouble  with it (   I am Orthodox  and when we fast  we are supposed  to fast from all meat and dairy  ). When I fasted I just felt  off ,  a little  hungry  at all times , light headed and just foggy thinking.  I need to eat better  just do not have the energy  to figure out what I need to do and  no ambition  to follow  through . 

14 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Thanks for the  info. I cannot eat raw  vegetables  I have some teeth  missing. I have tried  a vegan diet and just had trouble  with it (   I am Orthodox  and when we fast  we are supposed  to fast from all meat and dairy  ). When I fasted I just felt  off ,  a little  hungry  at all times , light headed and just foggy thinking.  I need to eat better  just do not have the energy  to figure out what I need to do and  no ambition  to follow  through . 

Certain raw veggies and fruits are also hard for me too, I need to cook, puree or juice them. I also hate the texture of spinach, so I prefer it pureed in a blender. 

Since you're feeling a lack of energy, consider a doctor specializing in nutrition--maybe he/she could figure out what's going on with your body chemistry. I'm not an expert but have worked with enough athletes to know people can be very different in regards to what works for them nutritionally. Vegan doesn't work for everyone; it takes time and tweaking to figure out your ideal formula.

I hope you start to feel better! Feeling tired is the pits and can be very frustrating. 

• Love 1

I've lost almost 30lbs on a ketogenic diet, and have gone down 3 pants sizes. Minimal exercise. Kept it off for 6 months and am gearing back up to drop another 15-20 this spring. It's helped increase my stamina to where I'm no longer praying for a natural disaster in the middle of my kettlebell swings so I can just stop/die. It's also gotten rid of the GERD/continuous heartburn and the inflammation in my back & joints. I was overweight but not obese, but my back was constantly out. I used to wake myself up in the middle of the night due to excruciating pain if I moved my legs, and I'd have to grab the headboard and attempt to roll over using my upper body some days. After the 5th day on keto, I popped out of bed and went, "WAIT - are you freaking KIDDING ME? MY BACK DOESN'T HURT???" I realized that I'd slept well AND hadn't woken up from back pain, AND was able to slide right out of bed for the past few mornings. Keto eating takes some preparation and you have to dump a lot of stuff in your fridge/pantry/freezer, but it's amazing. I wish Whitney would give it a try as many folks with PCOS are on the diet, and it also helps with fertility (we joke about "keto babies" in keto groups as keto can straighten out your hormonal balance as well).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lightninggirl said:

I've lost almost 30lbs on a ketogenic diet, and have gone down 3 pants sizes. Minimal exercise. Kept it off for 6 months and am gearing back up to drop another 15-20 this spring. It's helped increase my stamina to where I'm no longer praying for a natural disaster in the middle of my kettlebell swings so I can just stop/die. It's also gotten rid of the GERD/continuous heartburn and the inflammation in my back & joints. I was overweight but not obese, but my back was constantly out. I used to wake myself up in the middle of the night due to excruciating pain if I moved my legs, and I'd have to grab the headboard and attempt to roll over using my upper body some days. After the 5th day on keto, I popped out of bed and went, "WAIT - are you freaking KIDDING ME? MY BACK DOESN'T HURT???" I realized that I'd slept well AND hadn't woken up from back pain, AND was able to slide right out of bed for the past few mornings. Keto eating takes some preparation and you have to dump a lot of stuff in your fridge/pantry/freezer, but it's amazing. I wish Whitney would give it a try as many folks with PCOS are on the diet, and it also helps with fertility (we joke about "keto babies" in keto groups as keto can straighten out your hormonal balance as well).

Good one! ? 

I'm unaware of the keto diet. Can you give me a website that is a particularly good one in describing it? ( I'd rather get a recommendation from you rather than go off Googling randomly.)

22 hours ago, Dot said:

Good one! ? 

I'm unaware of the keto diet. Can you give me a website that is a particularly good one in describing it? ( I'd rather get a recommendation from you rather than go off Googling randomly.)

I've heard of it, it does work for some people (sorry to hijack). The goal is to keep the body in fat-burning ketosis through a very low-carb eating plan. To be sure you're in ketosis, you check your urine with ketosis test strips. 

Though this does work for some people, it's not for everyone. Anyone who is working out a lot and needs carbs (distance athletes) might want to think twice or their workouts could be compromised. On the opposite hand, I've known bodybuilders who do this to drop fat before competition after they have bulked up.

My only concern would be high-fat foods but if you stick to lean protein and greens, it can actually be healthy. Again, different strokes for different folks! I don't see Whitney embracing this, no sugar!

On 1/2/2018 at 0:30 PM, Dot said:

Good one! ? 

Sure! Here's a good explanation, and also a good website for recipes:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto
I also follow Cooking Keto with Kristie's YouTube, which has a lot of good info on sweeteners and also free recipes:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFGt_87bzlJXHxzvsU8leOQ/videos

For some good support and if you have FB, you can look up Kristie's group - it is under "Low Carb Journey." Lots of practical advice there. For instance, I am math challenged and counting total carbs works best for me (net carbs is when you subtract fiber & other things your body doesn't metabolize/add to your carb count). The FB group goes off of that count, and also gives general guidelines. There is also a pinned post with a fantastic "Getting Started" Excel spreadsheet for download.

Finally, and I'm sorry I sound like such a disciple, but Kristie has a fantastic cookbook. She has a young son & daughter, and turned her own home into a test kitchen and created her own family-friendly recipes. I got it on Kindle, but have bought it as a gift for friends & family and EVERY recipe is a hit (it's uncanny):  https://www.amazon.com/Journey-Health-Taking-Cooking-Kristie-ebook/dp/B06XF1NYND

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions, or ask here. I just put on my 'skinny jeans' last night, and had to slap on a belt because they're getting too big. :)

3 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I've heard of it, it does work for some people (sorry to hijack). The goal is to keep the body in fat-burning ketosis through a very low-carb eating plan. To be sure you're in ketosis, you check your urine with ketosis test strips. 

Though this does work for some people, it's not for everyone. Anyone who is working out a lot and needs carbs (distance athletes) might want to think twice or their workouts could be compromised. On the opposite hand, I've known bodybuilders who do this to drop fat before competition after they have bulked up.

My only concern would be high-fat foods but if you stick to lean protein and greens, it can actually be healthy. Again, different strokes for different folks! I don't see Whitney embracing this, no sugar!

The ketosis strips aren't accurate in the long-term, so I don't use them anymore. I do kettlebell 2x/week and advanced kung fu 3x/week, so I've got all of the books and am part of groups/forums for ketogenic athletes. High-power athletes can benefit from keto without carb-loading, but others have adapted the diet to specifically suit their workout needs. Since I need to maintain my muscle for power, particularly in my legs, my cardio and stamina has been neglected over the past decade that I've been doing advanced kung fu. However, one benefit to keto that I was NOT expecting was increased cardio ability as well as my stamina increase. I really thought I'd be more fatigued in that area, to be honest.

Many individuals starting ketosis do show a spike in cholesterol/fat-related labs, but that levels out quickly and WELL before any long-term issues arise. I've always had high good cholesterol, low overall cholesterol (in the 130s), and low blood pressure, so that has not been a concern for me. The reduction in inflammation and complete obliteration of heartburn, which I used to get nearly nightly, are the reasons I keep doing it. Losing three pant sizes is an added bonus! I really and truly wonder how Whitney would fare on it if she could stay away from the sugar. Someone was criticizing her for dumping a few Splendas and heavy cream in her coffee, but that's exactly how I take mine! (except I use sucralose or steva - Splenda has dextrose & maltodextrin, which can stall weight loss). She could do it if she stuck to it - but we all know how well she sticks to ANYTHING. :/

My older brother has gotten very big and unhealthy. He started a keto diet a couple months ago and has lost probably 30-40 lb, he feels great. I tried South Beach phase 1 in college (very similar to keto although less fat/calories I think) and I hated it. Go figure! I respect it as a diet plan tremendously because there are so many people who benefit from eating (far) fewer carbohydrates, especially if they aren't workout fanatics.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2018 at 3:05 PM, ClareWalks said:

My older brother has gotten very big and unhealthy. He started a keto diet a couple months ago and has lost probably 30-40 lb, he feels great. I tried South Beach phase 1 in college (very similar to keto although less fat/calories I think) and I hated it. Go figure! I respect it as a diet plan tremendously because there are so many people who benefit from eating (far) fewer carbohydrates, especially if they aren't workout fanatics.

I was sooooo skeptical about keto because I'd done Atkins a dozen years ago. Lost 10lbs in 4 days ... vomiting. That's right - I puked constantly for 4 days straight. On the 5th day I was lecturing and felt it coming again, so I went into the bathroom & puked, and then promptly walked right to the vending machine and grabbed and Mountain Dew and chugged half of it. I felt right as rain and swore I'd never do that crap again. I tried keto last year and it has worked out amazingly well. I had adrenal fatigue so I had started carb cycling to work on my super-high cortisol (and other adrenal issues), and lost 13lbs right off the bat. Keto is just a step up from that and I'm thrilled at the reduction in inflammation. I hope your brother is feeling a lot better in his joints and back. :)

• Love 1

I am on day three of the 7 + 7 Reboot plan from Susan Reardon. Ill keep you posted on my progress. I did make it through yesterday's blizzard sans wine, pot roast and Toll House cookies and am down two pounds. 

• Love 1

I’m doing the Alcohol-free January challenge and it’s going fine. My wonderful husbo had his vasectomy yesterday—YAAAYYY!!—and we had a low key celebratory dinner last night, and then his Titans won today—YAAAAYYY!!—so those are moments when I’d normally have a beer or glass of wine and didn’t. I’d say it’s in the bag for the month EXCEPT. We’re having a girls’ beach weekend next weekend and my friends are already talking about how fun it’s going to be to cut loose with the wine (and weed—it’s legal here, don’t worry—but that’s not really a big temptation for me) AND we’re going to wine-taste on the way home from the beach.

I’m torn. On the one hand, like Whitney ? I’m not a quitter, and I’d like to finish what I’ve started. On the other hand, trying to find a weekend away with four other busy women is like finding a unicorn, and I’d sure love to toast our time and friendship. I keep going back and forth—don’t quit! Wait, what am I trying to prove?—and I might just make a game-day decision based on how I’m feeling in a week. 

Anyway, this is such a dumb thing to be torn about, so as ever, I appreciate you guys letting me type it all out.

• Love 3

I don't really drink much anymore (maybe one drink a few times a year), it is definitely doable to be out with others who are indulging and abstain! I actually find it rather empowering. If you get some club soda and a lime wedge, or cherries, or whatever fancy fruit, you might not really notice you're not drinking any alcohol. I like Diet 7-Up with cherries in it. Plus booze-free means you will feel better the next day ;) Of course, if you choose to drink it's not a big whoop either.

• Love 3

I had to give up drinking (hopefully temporarily!) because it really aggravated my acid reflux.  It was very hard during the holidays.  VERY HARD.  I really need to give up coffee too, but so far, that hasn't happened (Cholate had to go too, but that wasn't so hard because I'm following a keto way of eating now anyway).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, notyrmomma said:

I had to give up drinking (hopefully temporarily!) because it really aggravated my acid reflux.  It was very hard during the holidays.  VERY HARD.  I really need to give up coffee too, but so far, that hasn't happened (Cholate had to go too, but that wasn't so hard because I'm following a keto way of eating now anyway).

I’m so sorry @notyrmomma! When I was pregnant I tried to give up coffee and it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. So hard, in fact, that I stopped trying. (Obviously I gave up alcohol too while pregnant but that wasn’t hard.)

Is it a drink in particular aggravating your reflux? Red wine is very difficult for me since having a baby almost three years ago—it gives me heartburn—which is a bummer because I enjoy being a wine snob. 

@ClareWalks one of the things I discovered while pregnant is that you know how all bartenders have a signature cocktail? Most also have a signature non-alcoholic drink they’re proud of too. So whenever I was out I got to have my fancy little cocktail, sans booze, and you’re right, I never felt like I was missing out. Maybe that’s the key for the weekend!

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

I’m so sorry @notyrmomma! When I was pregnant I tried to give up coffee and it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. So hard, in fact, that I stopped trying. (Obviously I gave up alcohol too while pregnant but that wasn’t hard.)

Is it a drink in particular aggravating your reflux? Red wine is very difficult for me since having a baby almost three years ago—it gives me heartburn—which is a bummer because I enjoy being a wine snob. 

Anything and everything, unfortunately.  They think my esophagus was so bad it was causing severe anemia (the GI thought so, but my primary Dr did not agree - either way, it was a LA class C which is pretty bad).  I went on a cruise in early November and had the "unlimited bar package" and of course, I wanted to get my money's worth, so I had many many drinks per day: wine-hard liquor-beer, you name it, it all hurt.  About a week after I got home I got my blood drawn for something unrelated, and my hemoglobin was so low, it was almost an emergency.  I end up having to get two iron infusions plus an endoscopy/colonscopy to see what was going on - which was how they found out that my esophagus was so torn up.

I did cut back on the coffee.  I was drinking it all day and now I limit myself to one (or two) in the morning.  That was hard enough. 

Edited to add - I had been taking either Prilosec or Nexium for years, even during the cruise.  It was barely taking the edge off of the heartburn.  The GI changed me to a prescription PPI, then ended up doubling the dose.  Now if I take it correctly, I don't get heartburn as easy.

Edited by notyrmomma
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, notyrmomma said:

I really need to give up coffee too, but so far, that hasn't happened 

Boy, I still remember the blinding headaches when I gave up coffee, but it was worth the effort. I now enjoy a cup of decaf green tea in the morn & an occasional Earl Grey in the afternoon. Keep working on it, @notyrmomma. When you kick the coffee habit, you'll feel so much better.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, notyrmomma said:

I did cut back on the coffee.  I was drinking it all day and now I limit myself to one (or two) in the morning.  That was hard enough. 

I had Acid Reflux and while not any where near as serious as yours I found a few things helpful and am off all meds now. First I don't really drink so that didn't apply and I tolerate Kava (by Nestle) acid reduced coffee pretty well but I did eliminate most bottled drinks and some foods because they have citric acid added to them even organic packaged items. This includes almost all juices and sodas. I did some research after hearing about a link between an asthma like cough and acid reflex and citric acid seems to aggravate it. I still drink sparkling waters and switch to alkaline water or chamomile tea in the evenings. I mention this only because I had never seen this in lists of problematic foods and at least for me watching out for added citric acid seems to have made a big difference. I have very little reflux that one OTC Pepcid doesn't take care of and my constant coughing has pretty much stopped. Just a suggestion. :^)

• Love 1

I'm a poster girl for the "I've fallen & I can't get up" TV ads. (Yes, I once had to call 9-1-1 to send 2 hunky firemen out to get me up.)
I once could crawl over to a chair & hoist myself up. About a year ago, I discovered I didn't have the upper body strength to pull myself up before my arthritic knees gave out. (Hence, the firemen.) I have since learned, however, that if I skootch along on my butt, open the front door & skootch another 8-10 feet to the deck's stairs, I can pull myself up using the stair rails. (Time-consuming, but it works, splinters always a concern ?.)
I fell again yesterday -- been a while since that happened. Fortunately, I was out on the deck already, so my skootch was relatively short. I did discover, however, that it seemed harder to pull myself up than before.
For some years I have used rubber exercise bands for arm & upper torso strength. (Green from Power Sys if you're familar with that company). After that long preface, here's my Q: is there any better exercise tool you could suggest?
Also, I need to replace my green-strength bands becuz of wear. I find they are hard for me to pull now -- remember, I am 79 yrs old. Should I continue to use that strength band, even tho I can't pull them as far apart as before? Or go down to yellow-strength, which is the lowest possible available so that I can pull them farther but with less resistance?
I love the advice that I've seen you folks offer on this thread -- unlike Twit's phony-baloney on the MBFFL FB page. So any suggestions you have will be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Dot
  • Love 3

@Dot, I'm a faller too. 68 yrs old here. I had several bad falls (face plants), broke glasses, bloodied my face. This was a couple of years ago. My pc doc sent me to a neurologist, tests were all OK. He sent me to PT for balance issues and it really helped a lot. I don't know what causes your falls, but you might look into PT.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, rainbowrockgal said:

@Dot, I'm a faller too. 68 yrs old here. I had several bad falls (face plants), broke glasses, bloodied my face. This was a couple of years ago. My pc doc sent me to a neurologist, tests were all OK. He sent me to PT for balance issues and it really helped a lot. I don't know what causes your falls, but you might look into PT.

Thanks, I would never have thought of that. Actually, I have a prescription from my doc for PT for a problem with my left rotator cuff. I'm going to ask about getting help with balance when I have my first session.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Dot said:

Also, I need to replace my green-strength bands becuz of wear. I find they are hard for me to pull now -- remember, I am 79 yrs old. Should I continue to use that strength band, even tho I can't pull them as far apart as before? Or go down to yellow-strength, which is the lowest possible available so that I can pull them farther but with less resistance?

I would do both, the heavier band will help you with your raw strength in a small area of your range of motion, while a lighter band will allow you to work the full range of motion (although it won't help you get much stronger). I second the balance work idea. If PT is too expensive or your insurance doesn't cover it you could maybe work with a local personal trainer, making it clear that you want to practice daily-life activities and work on balance. I have had older clients where all we do is balance work, getting up and down on the floor, and stairs. I actually had a client who was in her 40s once who just had a stairs phobia and wanted to conquer it - she was afraid of walking up the stairs without holding on to the rail. With supervision building her confidence, she could do it within a few weeks.

• Love 5