Type keyword(s) to search

A Little Help From My Friends: How Do YOU Do (A Healthier) You?

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I would do both, the heavier band will help you with your raw strength in a small area of your range of motion, while a lighter band will allow you to work the full range of motion (although it won't help you get much stronger). I second the balance work idea. If PT is too expensive or your insurance doesn't cover it you could maybe work with a local personal trainer, making it clear that you want to practice daily-life activities and work on balance. I have had older clients where all we do is balance work, getting up and down on the floor, and stairs. I actually had a client who was in her 40s once who just had a stairs phobia and wanted to conquer it - she was afraid of walking up the stairs without holding on to the rail. With supervision building her confidence, she could do it within a few weeks.

Thank you, @ClareWalks. Qs about your suggestion: In terms of using both strengths, would I use both in the same session? Or alternate days? And should I add some new exercises? Currently, I use the bands every other day & have 7 exercises that I do.

Balance in older adults is, a major issue. It worries me cuz I have hip issues, and am getting knee weakness. 

I read that Something in the Inner ear contributes to balance,  and it weakens as we age,  so it seems inevitable to fall, hence walkers.

I tend to touch or hold on lightly to a bannister, just in case, going up and down stairs.  I have 3 sets of stairs in my home, so it's a frequent activity. The biggest help to myself is being mindful--slower and focused-- as I move up and down. 

I do aqua fitness 2x a week which is awesome for stretching out sore muscles and we do alot of deep water movement, breast stroke, and bicycling. The ladies in the class range from 40's to 80's. If someone has a certain limitation, they just do whatever they can.  No pressure from the 65 year old teacher. 

The hot tub after is heaven. 

8 minutes ago, Tosia said:

The biggest help to myself is being mindful--slower and focused-- as I move up and down. . . .

I do aqua fitness 2x a week which is awesome for stretching out sore muscles.

Mindfulness -- yes, @Tosia! Every damn time I've fallen (usually by stubbing my toe), I have looked back on the event & realized I was thinking about something other than putting one foot in front of another. I try to be mindful & when I slip up -- literally -- I fall.

I am a great fan of aqua exercise; being able to move in water in ways I never could on land was absolutely blissful. One of the saddest days of my life was having to give up my daily (except winter) trips to the community pool, the main reason I bought a house here when I retired. Two years ago, I became unable to climb up stairs, so I can't even manage the 3 steps out of the pool. It kills me when I drive by the pool to see all that beautiful water & know I'll never enjoy it again.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dot said:

Thank you, @ClareWalks. Qs about your suggestion: In terms of using both strengths, would I use both in the same session? Or alternate days? And should I add some new exercises? Currently, I use the bands every other day & have 7 exercises that I do.

You could do both in the same session, for sure - if you normally do 3 sets, just do 2 sets with each :) Doing core work might help a bit. Not sure if you can get (or feel comfortable getting) on the floor, but planks would be helpful if you can. Otherwise you can hold some kind of weighted object (even a soup can) straight out to your side, then slowly bring around the front and switch hands, then to the other side. Anything that activates your core by putting different amounts of weight to different sides of your body. Standing on one foot is good (you can hold on to something), or standing on a couch cushion and shifting your weight side to side. Those are simple things that can be done at home that would help!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Dot said:

I'm a poster girl for the "I've fallen & I can't get up" TV ads. (Yes, I once had to call 9-1-1 to send 2 hunky firemen out to get me up.)
I once could crawl over to a chair & hoist myself up. About a year ago, I discovered I didn't have the upper body strength to pull myself up before my arthritic knees gave out. (Hence, the firemen.) I have since learned, however, that if I skootch along on my butt, open the front door & skootch another 8-10 feet to the deck's stairs, I can pull myself up using the stair rails. (Time-consuming, but it works, splinters always a concern ?.)
I fell again yesterday -- been a while since that happened. Fortunately, I was out on the deck already, so my skootch was relatively short. I did discover, however, that it seemed harder to pull myself up than before.
For some years I have used rubber exercise bands for arm & upper torso strength. (Green from Power Sys if you're familar with that company). After that long preface, here's my Q: is there any better exercise tool you could suggest?
Also, I need to replace my green-strength bands becuz of wear. I find they are hard for me to pull now -- remember, I am 79 yrs old. Should I continue to use that strength band, even tho I can't pull them as far apart as before? Or go down to yellow-strength, which is the lowest possible available so that I can pull them farther but with less resistance?
I love the advice that I've seen you folks offer on this thread -- unlike Twit's phony-baloney on the MBFFL FB page. So any suggestions you have will be appreciated. Thanks.

I hope it's okay to chime in here, since I mostly lurk. There are two fitness movements you may be interested in looking into. Functional fitness teaches exercises to simulate moves we do in every day life. And Silver Sneakers is another big one. A lot of insurance companies cover classes. I don't know all the details but it might be worth Googling to see if it can help you. And kudos to you for working on improving your strength :-)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kar328 said:

I hope it's okay to chime in here, since I mostly lurk. There are two fitness movements you may be interested in looking into. Functional fitness teaches exercises to simulate moves we do in every day life. And Silver Sneakers is another big one. A lot of insurance companies cover classes. I don't know all the details but it might be worth Googling to see if it can help you. And kudos to you for working on improving your strength :-)

I think I can speak for all in saying lurkers are always welcome to chime in, @kar328. And thanks for tip. I live in a kinda remote rural area, but will be Googling those groups to see what might be available in my geographic area.

13 hours ago, Dot said:

Mindfulness -- yes, @Tosia! Every damn time I've fallen (usually by stubbing my toe), I have looked back on the event & realized I was thinking about something other than putting one foot in front of another. I try to be mindful & when I slip up -- literally -- I fall.

I am a great fan of aqua exercise; being able to move in water in ways I never could on land was absolutely blissful. One of the saddest days of my life was having to give up my daily (except winter) trips to the community pool, the main reason I bought a house here when I retired. Two years ago, I became unable to climb up stairs, so I can't even manage the 3 steps out of the pool. It kills me when I drive by the pool to see all that beautiful water & know I'll never enjoy it again.

See if the facility will put in a handicapped swing. That would help you get in and out of the pool. I am so sorry to hear about your falls. My dad and stepdads are fallers and its scary. Take care. 

Edited by spankydoll
Edited to make sense
1 hour ago, spankydoll said:

See if the facility will put in a handicapped swing. That would help you get in and out of the pool. I am so sorry to hear about your falls. My dad and stepdads are not fallers. 

It took me 10 yrs to get the HOA to install steps with rails into the pool. (I HATE HOAs & would never have moved into a home with jackboots on my neck if I'd known what I was getting into.) I don't have the energy -- or probably years -- left to battle for a handicapped swing. But I appreciate the suggestion. Thank you, @spankydoll.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Dot said:

It took me 10 yrs to get the HOA to install steps with rails into the pool. (I HATE HOAs & would never have moved into a home with jackboots on my neck if I'd known what I was getting into.) I don't have the energy -- or probably years -- left to battle for a handicapped swing. But I appreciate the suggestion. Thank you, @spankydoll.

Ohmigosh, HOAs. When people get on an HOA board something sucks out their brain and they cease to be human. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Ohmigosh, HOAs. When people get on an HOA board something sucks out their brain and they cease to be human. 

It's becuz they never, ever were in a position of power in their miserable, little lives.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Not to start an OT argument or anything, but I am on my HOA board and have been for a few years.  I still feel relatively human. :-) And last year, the whole board was re-elected by acclamation, regardless of the mutterings in the elevators about now we were a bunch of Nazis for refusing to let one owner install a massive electric ceramics kiln in her apartment, unless she had the wiring done by a licensed electrician. (She wanted to use her brother-in-law, who "knew everything about electricity." She thought the by-law that required licensed personnel when connecting anything to the common plumbing or wiring was "ridiculous and a waste of money.")

Back on topic - I just finished training to lead a class called "A Matter of Balance." One good thing I learned is that, unless the balance issue is a neurological one, consistent practice can really improve balance and stability very quickly. The first time I taught the class, everyone was very excited about how much change they noticed after a week or so of the exercises.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

Not to start an OT argument or anything, but I am on my HOA board and have been for a few years.  I still feel relatively human. :-) . . . .

Back on topic - I just finished training to lead a class called "A Matter of Balance." One good thing I learned is that, unless the balance issue is a neurological one, consistent practice can really improve balance and stability very quickly.

I was the prez of my HOA Bd in 2011 becuz I fomented a revolution to get rid of the corrupt managent company. ( For those who don't know about HOAs, there is a whole industry bulit around them -- so-called mgmt companies (all are corrupt), lawyers, merchandisers, tradesmen, etc.)

I spent a yr researching every invoice, ever chk written, etc., to document the corruption. I reported my research to other HOs via newsletters I published at my own expense, put together a Reform Coalition to run for the other seats, got elected & threw the bums out in favor of a full-time, on-site, HOA-employed administrator. The Bd is back to being full of pompous assholes, BTW, but the management of the place is now being run effeciently. And they ALL leave ME alone, which is basically what I wanted.

Your recommendation about balance PT is the third I've gotten here, so it looks like something I really want to look into. I hope to get my first PT session next week for my v rotator cuff & will definitely talk to the trainer about the possibilities. (My doc, who is concerned about my falls, will certainly give me a prescription if I ask.) Thanks for the info, @Ketzel.

• Love 3
On 1/14/2018 at 9:25 AM, Ketzel said:

Not to start an OT argument or anything, but I am on my HOA board and have been for a few years.  I still feel relatively human. :-) And last year, the whole board was re-elected by acclamation, regardless of the mutterings in the elevators about now we were a bunch of Nazis for refusing to let one owner install a massive electric ceramics kiln in her apartment, unless she had the wiring done by a licensed electrician. (She wanted to use her brother-in-law, who "knew everything about electricity." She thought the by-law that required licensed personnel when connecting anything to the common plumbing or wiring was "ridiculous and a waste of money.")

Back on topic - I just finished training to lead a class called "A Matter of Balance." One good thing I learned is that, unless the balance issue is a neurological one, consistent practice can really improve balance and stability very quickly. The first time I taught the class, everyone was very excited about how much change they noticed after a week or so of the exercises.

Sorry about the generalization--guess you're one of the few sane ones. I've never had a good experience with an HOA. When we lived in the city they got mad because we had a marked emergency response vehicle in front of the house for work. There was some rule about no marked commercial vehicles (it wasn't--do they jack up all officers with take home rigs?). They wound up letting it go but not before we got a bunch of nasty grams. There was also trouble if a weed was growing. So glad we got outta there--and ours wasn't even that bad compared to others around Las Vegas.

Sorry for the off topic, back on track.

50 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Sorry about the generalization--guess you're one of the few sane ones. I've never had a good experience with an HOA.

Amen. I have spent my 17 years in an HOA warning off everybody I come in contact with never to get sucked into one.

I once tried to escape: 2008, when the RE mkt -- and everything else -- blew up. Deep sigh.

• Love 1

@rainbowrockgal, @ClareWalks, @Tosia, @Ketzel & @Pachengala, thanks to all of you for encouraging me to look into balance training.

When I looked up my prescription for rotator cuff PT, I saw that the facility offers "Balance & Coord." as one of its procedures. So I called my doc to have him add that to the 'script. I'm scheduled to go to the facility Wed morn to fill out paperwork & schedule appts.

Feelin' pretty chipper this morn!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Dot said:

Amen. I have spent my 17 years in an HOA warning off everybody I come in contact with never to get sucked into one.

I once tried to escape: 2008, when the RE mkt -- and everything else -- blew up. Deep sigh.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. It can be stressful. My stress level significantly decreased when we moved into a home zoned agricultural with some land. We don't need permission to plant a tree, to build a greenhouse or put up fencing/shade structure for a garden. Also don't have to worry about pesky home invasions and shootings. 

• Love 2

Hey gang! I just wanted to share a story about my week here to illustrate how easily weight can fluctuate. Last Saturday I did a 5-mile obstacle race and it beat. The. Shit. Out. Of. Me. I mean, I look like I've been in Fight Club, I'm so covered in bruises and sore. The race was so fun though and totally worth it! But all that pounding, plus being on prednisone (I had a bad cold and I just needed meds to wade through the race), and I was...retaining some water afterward. Saturday I did the race. Sunday I was up 2 lb. Monday I was up 2 more lb. Tuesday I was up 2 more lb. Wednesday I was up 2 more lb. A total of 8 POUNDS of water retention, ramping up over the course of several days. That is a gallon of water. I was absolutely amazed. I know all about how soreness can cause the body to retain water (our muscles use water to heal their microtears, which causes the sore feeling and makes you rebuild stronger after a tough workout), so I wasn't pissed off or baffled or anything. Just WOW, I could not believe I had the muscle mass to support such a large weight gain (usually only a man would be able to gain so much weight after one workout - my husband's record is 9 lb, after doing a full Ironman). I told a lot of women about what was happening to me and they were all pretty universally surprised that soreness can cause that level of temporary weight gain, so I thought I'd share this story here to let you all know to NOT FREAK OUT if something like that happens to you! I track my calories and knew I was at maintenance, so it obviously wasn't fat, just water. 

From Wednesday to Friday I dropped back down (lots of peeing, haha) and am back to my normal weight. Still sore and bruised, though! But hopefully this anecdote helps someone to feel a bit better about those daily scale fluctuations.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 5

Ah ha! We have seen how often Whitney bumps into things as she makes her way through a cruel world that does not adjust to her size. So now she has a new rationale for her weight gain - she has to heal her micro-tears! She's really a good - I don't know - 20-40 pounds lighter than that lying scale that she refuses to get on would say?If only her bruises weren't so constant, we would all see she's actually losing weight! Or retaining water weight which doesn't count, because micro tears!!

@ClareWalks what have you done?!  :-)

And congratulations on the obstacle race. Did you do a Tough Mudder? I got sore watching someone else do that!

• Love 3

I've been struggling with plantar fasciitis for several months in my left foot.  Combined with the knee replacement on the right side, my walking has been limited.  Of course, I did the smart thing.  I sat on the couch and ate.

Well, a podiatrist finally gave me a shot in the left foot, so I am now pain free (other than old lady aches and pains).  I set a goal last week of a minimum of 5,000 steps per day.  Today, the goal went up to 6,000.  It's amazing how quickly my appetite DECREASED.  Okay, my appetite may be the same, but I don't stuff my face all day, every day, out of boredom.

Lost 2.5 pounds the first week!!!  I know that won't happen every week, but what a joy!!!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ketzel said:

Ah ha! We have seen how often Whitney bumps into things as she makes her way through a cruel world that does not adjust to her size. So now she has a new rationale for her weight gain - she has to heal her micro-tears! She's really a good - I don't know - 20-40 pounds lighter than that lying scale that she refuses to get on would say?If only her bruises weren't so constant, we would all see she's actually losing weight! Or retaining water weight which doesn't count, because micro tears!!

@ClareWalks what have you done?!  :-)

And congratulations on the obstacle race. Did you do a Tough Mudder? I got sore watching someone else do that!

Haha she totally would say that ;) And this was the Abominable Snow Race! I am not doing a Tough Mudder because it is too focused on teams and I am a lone wolf. I'm signed up for a few Spartans and another more local race this year :)

• Love 3

For you 5K-ers, how common is it to see people walking all or most of a 5K? I'm not a runner. I've tried, I've wanted to but it's just not my thing. Walking, on the other hand, I love. But I've always discounted 5ks because I didn't want to be the Twit in the pack walking (even at a good and respectable clip) whilst all the others were running. 

ETA: Way to go @AZChristian! Keep up the good work! 

Edited by Maggienolia
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, Maggienolia said:

For you 5K-ers, how common is it to see people walking all or most of a 5K? I'm not a runner. I've tried, I've wanted to but it's just not my thing. Walking, on the other hand, I love. But I've always discounted 5ks because I didn't want to be the Twit in the pack walking (even at a good and respectable clip) whilst all the others were running. 

Lots of walkers in all distances! Some distances more than others, but I've always had company. 5Ks are lousy with walkers because the shorter distance attracts a lot of new folks to racing. It's not at all unusual to walk "the whole thing" even if it's a half marathon or farther. You should do it! Free t-shirt! :)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I've been struggling with plantar fasciitis for several months in my left foot.  Combined with the knee replacement on the right side, my walking has been limited.  Of course, I did the smart thing.  I sat on the couch and ate.

Well, a podiatrist finally gave me a shot in the left foot, so I am now pain free (other than old lady aches and pains).  I set a goal last week of a minimum of 5,000 steps per day.  Today, the goal went up to 6,000.  It's amazing how quickly my appetite DECREASED.  Okay, my appetite may be the same, but I don't stuff my face all day, every day, out of boredom.

Lost 2.5 pounds the first week!!!  I know that won't happen every week, but what a joy!!!

Me too on the plantar fasciitis in my left heel for abt 5 months!  I have had hip bursitis on the right side for 2 years so doc thinks i over compensated. I want a shot!!!! I'm limping by 4 p.m. and it HURTS!  

I went to doc last week and her advice was to stretch mightily BEFORE getting up in the a.m. cuz your feet are pointing mostly all night. I got orthotics which help alot too. 

Actually,  the hip bursitis has improved greatly due to aqua exercise that I've been doing since June. I get a lot of pain in my right calf though most nights. Ice helps. 

I also realized that I needed to eat more, in terms of healthy food--yogurt, spinach,  fish-- and my weight hasn't increased with more food, so that is reassuring. 

Good luck all.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Me too on the plantar fasciitis in my left heel for abt 5 months!  I have had hip bursitis on the right side for 2 years so doc thinks i over compensated. I want a shot!!!! I'm limping by 4 p.m. and it HURTS!  

I went to doc last week and her advice was to stretch mightily BEFORE getting up in the a.m. cuz your feet are pointing mostly all night. I got orthotics which help alot too. 

I recommend this 1000%.  You can get one at CVS for about $30-35.  It keeps your toes pointing UP all night.  It's very comfortable, and when you wake up, there is NONE of that horrendous morning pain!!!

Capture.JPG

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Maggienolia said:

I call myself a casual runner. I don't love it, just felt like it was something I should be able to do, especially while I was trying to lose a lot of weight. I've done a little over a dozen 5Ks, some large, some really small (my subdivision does one every year) and there are always people who are there to walk it. Some follow a program that does run/walk intervals and a lot of people are out to just walk, support a charity if the race was for that purpose. and get some fresh air. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I recommend this 1000%.  You can get one at CVS for about $30-35.  It keeps your toes pointing UP all night.  It's very comfortable, and when you wake up, there is NONE of that horrendous morning pain!!!

Capture.JPG

I ll hit up CVS tomorrow!! Thanks,  AZChristian.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Maggienolia said:

It's pretty common, though sometimes they divide the runners and the walkers onto different courses.  5K organizers are smart enough to know that running that distance is difficult for a lot of people and it would discourage participation to leave out walkers.  My old high school did a 5K for 5 years and I went every year and walked it.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Maggienolia said:

Pretty common as mentioned, 5ks are for everyone. I used to race A LOT, and there were always walkers. Everyone in a while, however, a walker decides to start closer to the front causing racers to dodge around them (this is a 5k faux pas!). Most of the time, it's organized enough to where the walkers start after the runners. It's great to include everyone, the point for most is to get out and be active!

• Love 3

Ok ladies - can you help me figure out what I’m doing wrong? I am quite overweight. I am 5’11” and when I started losing weight in late January I was 247 lbs. I am now 236. (And I’m 48 years old) The problem is that I haven’t lost anything in the last 10 days or so. I am religiously tracking calories and weighing food so I know what I’m getting. I total around 1200 calories a day. It’s finally getting to be better weather here so I am walking about 3 miles 5-6 times a week. But nothing has changed in the last 10 days. I’m overweight enough that I thought I’d see a downward trend for a while before I hit a wall in fact I’m eating less and exercising more now than when I started. Thoughts? 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Ok ladies - can you help me figure out what I’m doing wrong? I am quite overweight. I am 5’11” and when I started losing weight in late January I was 247 lbs. I am now 236. (And I’m 48 years old) The problem is that I haven’t lost anything in the last 10 days or so. I am religiously tracking calories and weighing food so I know what I’m getting. I total around 1200 calories a day. It’s finally getting to be better weather here so I am walking about 3 miles 5-6 times a week. But nothing has changed in the last 10 days. I’m overweight enough that I thought I’d see a downward trend for a while before I hit a wall in fact I’m eating less and exercising more now than when I started. Thoughts? 

Hey there.  I can relate. I've lost about 50 pounds, much the way you are doing it, only I haven't exercised as much as you are. It's taken me about a year. I plan to change that though and really get some cardio going soon.  My plan from the beginning was to go slow and steady.  My doctors say that is best and they are thrilled with my slow and steady approach.  My results are very gradual, but, I take comfort in that.  I'm not going to eat in a way that is not comfortable for me.  So, the weight will come off, but gradually.   It just will take me longer, plus, I hope to avoid loose skin.  Sorry, that I couldn't add some good tips. Maybe, others will be able to offer you more.   

Oh, one more thing.  I have noticed that sometimes when I thought I treated myself too much, I actually lost weight!  (I have a treat meal once per week of whatever I want.)

Edited by SunnyBeBe
1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

Plateaus in weight loss are the pits.  Drink more water, walk more.  I wear a Fitbit 24/7.  We are currently walking a minimum of 8,000 steps a day, and are increasing it by 1,000 steps per day every week.  Our goal is to get to and maintain 10,000 steps per day. 

We are fairly active for a couple of old folks, and not ready to get to a less active stage yet.  We're going ziplining in Haiti in April.  Some ziplines are fairly easy for participants, but some have steps and hills.  And it's a one-way course, so if you start . . . you have to finish.

Have you tried picking out an activity that you want to do, but it would be better if you were more physically able?  JUST DON'T GET DISCOURAGED AND QUIT.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Plateaus in weight loss are the pits. . . .

JUST DON'T GET DISCOURAGED AND QUIT.  

Yeah, having to live with plateaus when trying to lose wgt is the pits. But they happen; grin & bear it.

Some of that early wgt loss is probably attributable to water loss. And maybe some of the plateau is that your exercise is increasing muscle wgt which is heavier than fat.

Whatever, if you keep doin' what you're doin', you'll get past the plateau & start losing again. Just don't do what Twit claims she did & choose unsustainable methods to lose. If, at the end of a month, you have averaged a loss of 1-2 #s a week, you are doing everything right. Just don't get impatient & quit.

Edited by Dot
correct typo

I just completed my 4 weeks of PT & want to again thank everyone for suggesting balance/coordination PT and/or encouraging me to try it. I have definitely increased muscle strength in my legs & am much more secure in my footing. And I have a set of exercises I can do at home to continue to gain & maintain strength.

• Love 8

That's good news. I've thought of some form of therapy for my legs. They are so stiff, especially my left leg.  I do stretching at home, but, think my leg muscles need more help. If I just rub the skin, it's like it's sore and there is no reason for that.  There seems to be no explanation, so, I intend to just build strength and flexibility. 

3 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

You're doing great! As long as you are tracking everything and drinking your water and getting your exercise, just keep doing what you're doing. Plateaus are a natural part of the process. Hormones, water retention, all kinds of things can cause weight loss to stall for a couple weeks. Be consistent and it will start coming back down again. Sometimes if you drink a bit less water and eat a bit more salt than usual it can cause stalls or even gains temporarily, so keep that in mind too :)

• Love 4

Thank you all so much for the encouragement. I am definitely not giving up. I did treat myself to a new pair of walking shoes that I’m really excited about. It’s was a good shot in the arm this morning to get up early and get my walk in before the rain came. We do have a treadmill but I hate it so much. LOL. 

Keep on keeping on. It’s encouraging to hear I’m on the right track. My birthday is in July and I’m hoping by then to see a ‘1’ in the first digit. I hope it’s ok to post here with updates and for support. 

• Love 6

You will get there @3girlsforus! Meanwhile, if you are stalling on the scale, focus more on the athletic performance. Walk a little farther than usual, or faster. It's a way to stay motivated even if the scale isn't budging for a bit, and to remind yourself that you ARE making progress and it's about more than just one number. Keep us posted!!

• Love 5

Lots of exercise is a great way to build an appetite and a very poor way to burn calories (although very helpful for other health reasons).  Our hormones are what decide what is burned and what is stored for energy.  So what you eat and **when** you eat it (or don't eat) is even more important than calories in/calories out.  Especially since you really have so little control over calories out.  Your metabolism dictates most of that.  Good luck! 

21 minutes ago, Brooks said:

Lots of exercise is a great way to build an appetite and a very poor way to burn calories (although very helpful for other health reasons).  Our hormones are what decide what is burned and what is stored for energy.  So what you eat and **when** you eat it (or don't eat) is even more important than calories in/calories out.

This is mostly a myth, though. It is pretty pervasive thanks to the keto movement that the be-all end-all of weight loss is insulin, but the physics and basic thermodynamics of calories in/calories out still applies. If someone consumes fewer calories than their body requires, they will feed off their excess body fat to make up the difference. It is true though that one's "calories out" can be more complex depending on muscle mass, hormonal imbalances, etc. But exercise is a great way to create a larger calorie deficit without having to restrict further calories.

• Love 2

The key, though, is what their body requires, or more accurately demands to be spent for energy.  Exercise accounts for very little of overall energy expenditure, and the body can sabotage that by shutting down in other areas to use less energy.  It isn't just about insulin, but CI/CO as the be-all end-all is largely a myth.  What makes up the calories is very important.

• Love 2

Another problem with relying on exercise is that people tend to eat more --because they exercised--thus negating their weight loss.

A newer saying is that, "Weight loss is in the kitchen; better health is in the gym".

Metabolism requires food to keep churning.  People who starve themselves won't lose cuz the body hangs onto whatever calories it can get, until you get to starvation mode. 

Low cal healthy plants and proteins are the best food for losing weight (and to be healthier overall).   Exercise is great because it helps body, mind, and spirit.   Tracking meals/snacks/food/drink is also a  tool that many stats show help in losing weight. 

Most of all.....EVERY BODY IS DIFFERENT, and will react differently to efforts to lose weight. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Tosia said:

Another problem with relying on exercise is that people tend to eat more --because they exercised--thus negating their weight loss.

A newer saying is that, "Weight loss is in the kitchen; better health is in the gym".

Metabolism requires food to keep churning.  People who starve themselves won't lose cuz the body hangs onto whatever calories it can get, until you get to starvation mode. 

Low cal healthy plants and proteins are the best food for losing weight (and to be healthier overall).   Exercise is great because it helps body, mind, and spirit.   Tracking meals/snacks/food/drink is also a  tool that many stats show help in losing weight. 

Most of all.....EVERY BODY IS DIFFERENT, and will react differently to efforts to lose weight. 

Absolutely. I used to advise/coach new runners and this was their biggest mistake. "But, I ran 5 miles, I can eat pie!" Noooooooooo, not normally.  

I know it differs for each individual but for me, I only burn 100-120 calories per mile--maybe 175 if I'm racing.  It's easy to eat that back even with healthy food. When I was running 70 miles a week, I didn't eat much more than I normally did so I could get to race weight--maybe 500 calories more (it varied). That's an extra cup of oatmeal and a few snacks. Many other  endurance athletes I know also have a hard time getting to race weight--even former Olympians--the body really wants to hang on to all it can. Also, I was diagnosed PCOS when I was in my 20s (let that sink in, Whitney).

It may not be "fair" that someone else burns way more calories than me, but it is what it is. I could cry, make excuses, complain about it and give up (Whitney), or deal with it. I'd rather be healthy and as fit as I can be. 

Edited by TurtlePower
punctuation abuse
  • Love 3

My husband definitely struggles to get his weight lower - he is bad with diet. He loves candy. He eats tons of it. Fortunately he works out enough to offset it, but he basically has to be training for an Ironman to actually lose weight. You guys are 100% right that weight loss is all about the food. Different proportions of carbs, protein and fat work for different people. I have found anecdotally that the people I know who have (short term) success on a low-carb diet are extremely adamant that EVERYONE would benefit from low-carb, which is patently false. That's why I generally advise people to play around a bit with the ratios but that cutting portion sizes of the foods you already eat will help immensely. (Now maybe I can get my husband to eat a little less candy, LOL)

I've been having fun at the gym lately - instead of a typical boring strength workout, I do random shit for 5 minutes at a time. Almost anything is doable for 5 minutes, and it lets me build some strength and practice some obstacle skills. Today's workout was 5 minutes each of grip/climbing stuff; stairs; ball slams; crawls; balance work; and burpees. It's a good 30 minutes and feels manageable!

• Love 1

One of the things I do to keep myself on track with diet and exercise:  I watch Twitney and My 600-Pound Life to remind myself of what could happen if I don't.

I also watch Hoarders, which may be why I have OCD about clutter.  There are never even dirty teacups in my sink when I go to bed.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

My husband definitely struggles to get his weight lower - he is bad with diet. He loves candy. He eats tons of it. Fortunately he works out enough to offset it, but he basically has to be training for an Ironman to actually lose weight. You guys are 100% right that weight loss is all about the food. Different proportions of carbs, protein and fat work for different people. I have found anecdotally that the people I know who have (short term) success on a low-carb diet are extremely adamant that EVERYONE would benefit from low-carb, which is patently false. That's why I generally advise people to play around a bit with the ratios but that cutting portion sizes of the foods you already eat will help immensely. (Now maybe I can get my husband to eat a little less candy, LOL)

I've been having fun at the gym lately - instead of a typical boring strength workout, I do random shit for 5 minutes at a time. Almost anything is doable for 5 minutes, and it lets me build some strength and practice some obstacle skills. Today's workout was 5 minutes each of grip/climbing stuff; stairs; ball slams; crawls; balance work; and burpees. It's a good 30 minutes and feels manageable!

So true.  I know quite a few people who do low carb, some do Keto, and they are VERY animated about it, strict, white knuckling it, to lose a lot.  That just doesn't impress me, because, it's highly unlikely that kind of thing can be sustained long term.  They are miserable too and who wants to be miserable all the time, because you are so restricted?  Unless, there is a pressing medical reason, I'd rather not be miserable and blow it by going off the diet and gaining it all back.  Which is what these people do a lot. I keep my mouth shut, but, why not just adjust the way you eat to be normal, healthy and well balanced?  I don't get it. To each his own, I guess.  I can't argue with success. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

I have been trying to get exercise back into my lifestyle and I figured out how.  Previously, I couldn't stick to a workout routine because I was always mentally exhausted after work.  Also I want to get home ASAP.  I think my biggest obstacle with exercise is not that it's hard or tiring or strenuous.  It is all those things, but that doesn't really bother me.  Actually, it's just boring.  I can't stay focused on it if I keep trying to change activities mid stream, so I stick to one device: the treadmill. 

Lately, I have figured that I can handle it if I go to the gym before work.  Boredom doesn't really get me because if I quit early, what do I have to look forward to?  A day at the office?  Blech.

Some days, my body seems to turn against me and I get hurt.  Usually it's blisters, and I have had a constant battle with them.  They don't come up all the time, but they do sometimes.  Not being able to get the same pair of shoes more than once is a contributing factor.  I think that every time I buy a pair of sneakers, every single pair of that size and style is thrown away.  So when they wear out, I have to deal with finding shoes that aren't too big, or too small, or too thin on the soles, or that have a high, stiff heel that scrapes my achilles tendon with every step.

Anyway, I do 45 minutes on the treadmill when I can get to the gym, which is at least 3 times a week.  Might not be able to get there this week due to a bunch of stuff including my car going into the shop.

• Love 3