Type keyword(s) to search

A Little Help From My Friends: How Do YOU Do (A Healthier) You?

• Start Topic

Mostly I’m chiming in to say how much I love your screen name—wish I had thought of Scootypuff!

Aw, thank you :-) I kinda like it myself. I do have one 23 year old son, and gained about 20 pounds total with my pregnancy, all in the stomach area so maybe I'm outta luck. Or maybe not - I think there is a fair amount fat in there; it sticks out and seems pretty firm. I think it's probably loss of muscle tone - sit ups, maybe? 

I'm of an age where I don't want to get too scrawny but maybe I should try to keep on with the weight loss as my natural weight before I had my kid was about 110 lbs. Don't hate me, but I had a MONSTER metabolism back in the day; I could eat anything and everything I wanted - and trust me, I ate truly ungodly amounts of food; looking back, I can't believe how much I could put away - and gained no weight as I needed every single calorie of it then. It was fun while it lasted but it went away after I had a baby and I put on a lot of weight before I realized what was happening.  Walking 5-10 miles a day has brought the weight under control but I'm still pretty flabby in a lot of areas. Comes with age, I suppose. I have heard of CoolSculpting, it's nice to have a non-biased endorsement, so that's good to know. I do appreciate all of y'all's input!

Edited by scootypuffjr
edited to insert quote - I didn't realize my post would end up on the top of the next page!
On 8/31/2018 at 8:30 PM, Colleenna said:

@cherenkovooh ooh ooh!! I just saw a FB page and immediately thought of you! It's "Will Run For Bling and Charity." (You medal slut you, LOL)  And they have a current challenge that you can do with very little effort: 200 miles in 100 days. 

Apparently FB looks at my posts and likes and check-in and decided that I needed to see that FB page.

That's great! If I was on FB, I would check that out.

Did some hiking this weekend. I climbed 1300 feet to get this:

IMG_9034.jpg

• Love 3
1 hour ago, cherenkov said:

That's great! If I was on FB, I would check that out.

Did some hiking this weekend. I climbed 1300 feet to get this:

IMG_9034.jpg

I checked it out. It's one of those virtual races. Medal looks cheesy.mmmmmm, cheeeeese...

Looks fun. How much distance for the 1300 feet?

Edited by Colleenna
Additional information
14 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I checked it out. It's one of those virtual races. Medal looks cheesy.mmmmmm, cheeeeese...

Looks fun. How much distance for the 1300 feet?

A little over a mile on that one. Also did a 3 mile with 2100 feet of gain.

I will be doing the Spartan Sprint and Super next month.

• Love 2

OK everyone. Do you listen to music while you work out / run/ bike / swim? If so, what's in your playlist(s)?  Mine is mostly fast paced stuff from groups like The Score (Unstoppable, Legend, Higher), Kelly Clarkson's  Stronger, P!nk's Try and her F#$&n Perfect. There are a couple of slower pace songs as well.

18 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

After 16 months of training I finally finished my first Spartan trifecta (did the Beast today)! It was very difficult. I failed 7 obstacles (30 burpees each). But I finished!

Nice! Spartan Trifecta is on my list for next year.

Today I went out into the unrelenting downpour and rode 30 miles of CF Cycle for Life (benefits cystic fibrosis research and treatments). I'd have taken pictures but phones and downpours do not play well together.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, cherenkov said:

Nice! Spartan Trifecta is on my list for next year.

Today I went out into the unrelenting downpour and rode 30 miles of CF Cycle for Life (benefits cystic fibrosis research and treatments). I'd have taken pictures but phones and downpours do not play well together.

Yay for rainy workouts! And for charity rides :) the entire Beast yesterday poured rain. Blehh. Based on what you've said about your workouts you will have no trouble getting the trifecta!

3 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Yay for rainy workouts! And for charity rides :) the entire Beast yesterday poured rain. Blehh. Based on what you've said about your workouts you will have no trouble getting the trifecta!

Yeah the finish is not really questionable, but the number of burpees I will have to do certainly is!

• Love 1

Hello gang! I channeled my inner Whitney during a 25K (15.5 mile) race yesterday. I hadn't gone farther than a half marathon in two years so this was a rough one. After my Beast I had to take some time off to heal a shoulder injury, which is still not quite right, but I was signed up for this race so I suffered through. Finished dead last but at least I did sub-13-minute miles. And all the blood flow helped my shoulder a lot! Gonna get back to my real training this week, once I can walk again, because my legs are BEYOND trashed. How has everyone's autumn been going?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Hello gang! I channeled my inner Whitney during a 25K (15.5 mile) race yesterday. I hadn't gone farther than a half marathon in two years so this was a rough one. After my Beast I had to take some time off to heal a shoulder injury, which is still not quite right, but I was signed up for this race so I suffered through. Finished dead last but at least I did sub-13-minute miles. And all the blood flow helped my shoulder a lot! Gonna get back to my real training this week, once I can walk again, because my legs are BEYOND trashed. How has everyone's autumn been going?

Congratulations on your perseverance!  Clarewalks, can you suggest a resource that would offer a training plan for--ultimately--running a marathon?  I haven't run for two years, and even then was only running three miles on average.  TIA!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LookABird said:

Congratulations on your perseverance!  Clarewalks, can you suggest a resource that would offer a training plan for--ultimately--running a marathon?  I haven't run for two years, and even then was only running three miles on average.  TIA!

I am a big fan of Jeff Galloway. His run/walk method is a fantastic way to build mileage without injuring yourself. He has several books if I'm not mistaken. Definitely my number one recommendation! And honestly, the marathon is such a great goal because it is huge and requires nothing more than persistence! Just keep moving until they hand you a finisher medal ;)

47 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I am a big fan of Jeff Galloway. His run/walk method is a fantastic way to build mileage without injuring yourself. He has several books if I'm not mistaken. Definitely my number one recommendation! And honestly, the marathon is such a great goal because it is huge and requires nothing more than persistence! Just keep moving until they hand you a finisher medal ;)

I like him, and for people who are already accustomed to running 3 miles, Hal Higdon has the programs that I used to get from 5K to marathon.

In other news, this weekend I did the Spartan Sprint and Spartan Super. So much of my body hurts and is bruised and I am loving it!

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, cherenkov said:

I like him, and for people who are already accustomed to running 3 miles, Hal Higdon has the programs that I used to get from 5K to marathon.

In other news, this weekend I did the Spartan Sprint and Spartan Super. So much of my body hurts and is bruised and I am loving it!

Hal Higdon is also great! OMG two Spartans in one weekend?! That is ballsy! Good for you!!

Just now, ClareWalks said:

Hal Higdon is also great! OMG two Spartans in one weekend?! That is ballsy! Good for you!!

I signed up for the Super and then ended up with a huge discount code that I had to use this year so I did the Sprint too. I am exhausted.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Thank you!  :)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, cherenkov said:

I signed up for the Super and then ended up with a huge discount code that I had to use this year so I did the Sprint too. I am exhausted.

Woohoo! Good to see you back. How did the Spartan go?

8 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Woohoo! Good to see you back. How did the Spartan go?

I made it through the Sprint with minimal burpees, but on day two my nemesis obstacles really kicked my ass and I ended up with a lot more burpees, especially because it was a lap format and I had all the obstacles three times. I am super, super glad I made it over Bender all three times this weekend. Do not think 90 more burpees were even in me.

Next year I'm shooting for at least one trifecta, maybe two.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, cherenkov said:

I made it through the Sprint with minimal burpees, but on day two my nemesis obstacles really kicked my ass and I ended up with a lot more burpees, especially because it was a lap format and I had all the obstacles three times. I am super, super glad I made it over Bender all three times this weekend. Do not think 90 more burpees were even in me.

Oh man I heard about that multi-lap Spartan. Total bummer! I also hate hate HATE Bender. It popped up halfway through my Beast and it was so wet and sandy I felt totally unsafe on it, so I got down and did burpees instead. Go get that trifecta! I'm getting two next year (hopefully) :)

3 hours ago, cherenkov said:

You're my hero!

21 hours ago, Colleenna said:

You medal slut, you!!   ;-D 

I have a thing on my car that says "medal whore". The medals themselves all hang on a rack on the wall. I have actually run out of room for bibs and need to figure out where to put the old ones.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, cherenkov said:

I have a thing on my car that says "medal whore". The medals themselves all hang on a rack on the wall. I have actually run out of room for bibs and need to figure out where to put the old ones.

Photo album. 

13 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Photo album. 

I just ordered some bigger rings so that i can hang them on the wall. I like having the stuff out and visible all the time. Photo albums sit on my shelves and I never look at them.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, cherenkov said:

I just ordered some bigger rings so that i can hang them on the wall. I like having the stuff out and visible all the time. Photo albums sit on my shelves and I never look at them.

When my husband ran his first marathon ---on his 50th birthday --- I had the medal, bib, and a professional finish line photo mounted and framed. It has pride of place in our house. 

• Love 3

Ran the "End of the Road" Half Marathon on the abandoned PA Turnpike.

614ZtuL.jpg?1

Portions of this abandoned infrastructure were used in the film The Road with Viggo Mortensen, so it was a cool time. And I brought a piece of The Road home with me.

• Love 3
On 10/21/2018 at 8:04 PM, cherenkov said:

Ran the "End of the Road" Half Marathon on the abandoned PA Turnpike.

614ZtuL.jpg?1

Portions of this abandoned infrastructure were used in the film The Road with Viggo Mortensen, so it was a cool time. And I brought a piece of The Road home with me.

Heh. Now I have the Boys II Men song stuck in my head.

• Love 2

I ran the Bull City 5 mile race in Durham NC on Sunday. I'd tried it two years ago, but ran with my trainer and another client who I couldn't keep up with, and ended up walking a lot, which made me mad at myself. One of my goals in any of the usual 5Ks I run is to run the whole thing. Last year a Plantar's Fasciitis kept me from trying, I did their one mile run instead and did really well. I was determined to run it this time. I went with my trainer and we met another person who works at the gym, but when it came time to start, I went towards the back and ran on my own. I was hoping for under an hour (was trying to do an 11 min mile)  - I tried to keep it slow and did have to slow myself down a few times, but managed to run the whole thing and ended up with a 10:29 min/mile pace and a time of 52:29. I was 26/74 in the Female 50-54 group too. Getting that other race behind me was so great, it's bugged me these past two years. Next year, I'm picking up the pace. 

44514324_10156937665415820_7590826517781807104_n.jpg

• Love 4

I'm not much of a runner there's a lot of things I never thought I could do.

1) Turkish Get Up

2) Full plank push ups

3)  Getting up the stairs without using the handrail.

4) High intense Cardio without getting super winded.

I should say that I lost 75 pounds officially! I really respect 5K and Marathon runners and Spartan Athletes.

Mehealthy.JPG

• Love 8

Ok - several of you have confessed to being shoe sluts so I need your expertise LOL. I have a good pair of running shoes I use for my walking. I wanted to use them only for my walks but I started taking fitness classes (primarily body sculpting and HIIT) and I didn’t own any other athletic shoes so I’ve been using them for that as well. But it’s getting to be that I need a pair more conducive to gym workouts. I want something with a more flexible sole. I had my feet evaluated when I bought the running shoes and they are neutral. Any suggestions? I wear an 11 in athletic shoes so I basically have to order everything to try on since there are very limited options in stores but I’d love some suggestions so I’m not buying and sending back over and over and over. 

47 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Ok - several of you have confessed to being shoe sluts so I need your expertise LOL. I have a good pair of running shoes I use for my walking. I wanted to use them only for my walks but I started taking fitness classes (primarily body sculpting and HIIT) and I didn’t own any other athletic shoes so I’ve been using them for that as well. But it’s getting to be that I need a pair more conducive to gym workouts. I want something with a more flexible sole. I had my feet evaluated when I bought the running shoes and they are neutral. Any suggestions? I wear an 11 in athletic shoes so I basically have to order everything to try on since there are very limited options in stores but I’d love some suggestions so I’m not buying and sending back over and over and over. 

If you have neutral feet that means your biomechanics are good so you don't have to worry as much about arch support. You could probably get away with what's called a minimalist shoe, if you want to feel like you're not wearing much. They tend to be very flexible. Since I personally require tons of arch support, I can't recommend a specific shoe, but if you have a neutral foot you can wear pretty much anything and you probably won't get hurt :)

15 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

If you have neutral feet that means your biomechanics are good so you don't have to worry as much about arch support. You could probably get away with what's called a minimalist shoe, if you want to feel like you're not wearing much. They tend to be very flexible. Since I personally require tons of arch support, I can't recommend a specific shoe, but if you have a neutral foot you can wear pretty much anything and you probably won't get hurt :)

Thanks. I’ve seen the term minimalist but wasn’t sure exactly what that meant. If I wanted more support what would you recommend. I kind of feel like I want to try a few different kinds and see what I like. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Thanks. I’ve seen the term minimalist but wasn’t sure exactly what that meant. If I wanted more support what would you recommend. I kind of feel like I want to try a few different kinds and see what I like. 

I found this article about minimalist shoes that explains it much better than I could! I use a stability shoe, the Asics GT-2000 series. I remove the insoles that come with them and use a semi-custom orthotic for even more arch support. It's not a flexible shoe at all, shoes with more arch support tend to be more stiff. If I could wear any shoe I wanted, I'd wear Mizunos. They are cute and durable and have great design. Try a neutral/cushioned Mizuno at the running store and see how you like 'em!

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I totally love Hoka One One (o-nay o-nay, not 1-1)  Clifton 6. 

That reminds me.... I'm down to only 4 pairs of athletic shoes. CRISIS!!!!! How did I let this happen? Guess I'll hit the running store Saturday. 

15 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I totally love Hoka One One (o-nay o-nay, not 1-1)  Clifton 6.

My neutral-foot husband also enjoys that shoe!

Today the weather was nice so I decided to do the virtual half marathon I needed to do this fall (I bought the kit for the Beat the Blerch virtual race, it's by the guy who does The Oatmeal). It went great! It was a new PR by 11 minutes! o_O Afterward I ate a gigantic mac and cheese from Panera. I feel fairly normal, considering!

On 10/31/2018 at 7:40 PM, 3girlsforus said:

I have a pair of New Balance shoes that I only wear at the gym, it's a training shoe (Fuel Core Agility). It's light weight and flexible, and easy on the wallet.