Type keyword(s) to search

A Little Help From My Friends: How Do YOU Do (A Healthier) You?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

Thanks guys. I know I’ll be good when I go. I wish this stupid wind would stop.

A couple weekends ago I needed to do a 5-mile Spartan workout but it was mid-40s with 30+ mph winds and I did not want to go. I forced myself and after half a mile I warmed up and felt fine. Once you get going, it'll be okay! (I HATE working out in the wind, but it does give you Badass Cred, so that helps)

• Love 2

Whoo Hooo!! I got off my butt and went.  4 miles - 62 minutes. All my splits under 16 minutes for the first time since I increased to 4 miles per walk. I feel better.

The wind is starting to die down. The upper 30s -low 40s and 20 - 30 mph winds have been the norm for several weeks here. Very unusual. I don't know that it gives me badass cred though. I do draw the line somewhere. Last Friday the government and all the schools were closed and 10s of thousands were without power. Just up the street from our house a car sitting at a stoplight was crushed by a falling tree and the people were lucky to get out with only minor injuries. I stayed home and watched TV under a blanket LOL 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Please kick me in the butt and tell me I need to go for my walk today. I’m tired, my legs hurt, and I just don’t wanna (said with best Whitney lower lip pout) LOL

Deleted (never mind)

Edited by Dot

Yeah, be careful of falling limbs, poles, wires with this crazy wind. I have 2 large limbs to get up now in the yard. Even driving my car was difficult. It kept pulling it to one side. It truly is March!

On 3/11/2018 at 5:18 PM, TurtlePower said:

For sure. In a situation like this, we'd likely receive multiple 911 calls for a crying/howling/wailing participant. Units on the road during the event would likely be dealing with/monitoring the situation even after the person chooses to go on.

It must have been very distracting and annoying to the other participants. I would have had no patience for that shit. Then again, it would have motivated me to get my butt in gear and move faster. 

11 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

A couple weekends ago I needed to do a 5-mile Spartan workout but it was mid-40s with 30+ mph winds and I did not want to go. I forced myself and after half a mile I warmed up and felt fine. Once you get going, it'll be okay! (I HATE working out in the wind, but it does give you Badass Cred, so that helps)

I get some of my best work outs when I have the least amount of motivation to do them. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mybuddyspence said:

It must have been very distracting and annoying to the other participants. I would have had no patience for that shit. Then again, it would have motivated me to get my butt in gear and move faster. 

Eh, she was so far behind everyone else, she couldn't have distracted anyone who wasn't intentionally lingering to see what the tv cameras were all about. :)

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Ketzel said:

Eh, she was so far behind everyone else, she couldn't have distracted anyone who wasn't intentionally lingering to see what the tv cameras were all about. :)

I think they heard her wailing/hollering/blubbering all over the big island. Animals hid.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Tosia said:

I think they heard her wailing/hollering/blubbering all over the big island. Animals hid.

She was on Oahu, not the "Big Island" (actually called Hawaii).  I have no doubt everyone on Oahu heard her.  It's only 597 square miles.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cherenkov said:

Running a half marathon tomorrow morning. It's going to be cold and hilly, and I've set a goal I'm not sure I can meet.

What I can guarantee is I will not wail/cry/blubber anywhere.

Good luck!!  I know you will not wail/cry/blubber even though cold and hilly might make that ok :-). 

• Love 1

For some reason I cannot resist a mid-race beer that is offered. At Green Bay Marathon some spectators were giving out full cans and I saw cop cars ahead and I'm like "I hope this is legal," LOL. Then at the Fargo Half Marathon there were a bunch of UND students with a keg giving out Solo cups and going WOOOOO whenever someone took one, so of course I had to take one. It's not as disastrous as one might think! (Then again, I'm not exactly competing for any age group awards, haha)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

LOL. That doesn’t seem like the best place for a keg. 

I passed it up mid race. 

1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

For some reason I cannot resist a mid-race beer that is offered. At Green Bay Marathon some spectators were giving out full cans and I saw cop cars ahead and I'm like "I hope this is legal," LOL. Then at the Fargo Half Marathon there were a bunch of UND students with a keg giving out Solo cups and going WOOOOO whenever someone took one, so of course I had to take one. It's not as disastrous as one might think! (Then again, I'm not exactly competing for any age group awards, haha)

Mid race this time I didn't have the beer - because it required doing a keg stand. I did partake in the post-race beer. I also smashed my previous half marathon by 11 minutes despite this one being run at an outside temp of 20 degrees, being FAR more hilly (with a steepest grade of 15%) and having to stop twice to pee. I plan to partake in mid race beers during the marathon in May. All those miles, I could use some joy. I hope some of the colleges have student beer stands!

i'm allowing myself one day of happy before "You can do better." mode resumes.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, cherenkov said:

I also smashed my previous half marathon by 11 minutes despite this one being run at an outside temp of 20 degrees, being FAR more hilly (with a steepest grade of 15%) and having to stop twice to pee.

That is a huge PR, congrats! How many halfs have you done? It is my favorite distance by far. Far enough to feel like "I've done something," not so far that you're destroyed for a week :-P

5 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

That is a huge PR, congrats! How many halfs have you done? It is my favorite distance by far. Far enough to feel like "I've done something," not so far that you're destroyed for a week :-P

This was my second.

I was a couple of minutes late to the start of the 5K... so literally everyone else had already started. Still didn't finish last. And then I capped it by doing the mile. Because it ended at a bar.

14 minutes ago, cherenkov said:

I passed it up mid race. 

Mid race this time I didn't have the beer - because it required doing a keg stand. I did partake in the post-race beer. I also smashed my previous half marathon by 11 minutes despite this one being run at an outside temp of 20 degrees, being FAR more hilly (with a steepest grade of 15%) and having to stop twice to pee. I plan to partake in mid race beers during the marathon in May. All those miles, I could use some joy. I hope some of the colleges have student beer stands!

i'm allowing myself one day of happy before "You can do better." mode resumes.

That’s fabulous. Congrats. 

• Love 1

Hubby and I have been working hard to lose weight since the end of January.  It has been going SO SLOW, even though we've cut our caloric intake in half and have been walking 10,000 steps a day.  To say I've been discouraged is an understatement.

This morning, I did a little Googling.  Allergens have been in the High/Very High range for the last several months.  I first Googled to see whether that could be a factor in the irritability that has been plaguing me lately.  YES, it can!!!  Then I asked whether nasal allergies could be causing difficulty in losing weight.  YES!!!  It doesn't make my weight come off any faster, but it helps to understand that I'm not necessarily doing anything wrong - it's these darned histamines that my body is throwing out.  

But the best thing I found out . . . airborne allergens are in the none/low range in Jamaica right now.  And we're going to Jamaica next month.  I'd love to have a few days of break away from the allergies!!!

• Love 5

Today I ran a 30K on short notice. It was the worst race I ever ran, I struggled to complete it, and I came in dead last. I have a bloody toe, a head cold, and I'm coughing my lungs up.

But you know what I didn't do, Shitney?

I didn't sit my ass down and cry in the middle of the course. I kept moving forward. Glacial pace at times, but forward progress nonetheless. And I finished on my feet, not a golf cart.

• Love 16
On 3/3/2018 at 8:48 AM, 3girlsforus said:

Well crap. Looks like another day with no walk. It’s sunny today but the wind is still fierce and there ar downed trees and power lines everywhere and still coming down with the gusts. Probably best not to walk around outside. UGH. I might have to get on the treadmill. 

I get in these moods, too. Sometimes I can jumpstart myself by doing one of the (free) waking videos available through OnDemand. I also have an array of Leslie Sansone’s “Walk Away the Pounds” DVDs and videos. I’d rather be outside but it isn’t always feasible. 

Ran a double header this morning. 5K followed by 10K. Put up two new personal records on the wall.

Excellent! Well done! You must feel good about doing  so much better than the last time you told us about.

2 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

Excellent! Well done! You must feel good about doing  so much better than the last time you told us about.

I'm back. To perform like that after being sick for a week is a great confidence boost for the marathon I'm about to run. I just have to keep putting down the miles and not injure myself in the next month.

I walked a 5k today, bitterly and with much whining. I tweaked my back mid-deadlift earlier this week (I knew from the moment I lifted that it was going to go badly because of my form, but I couldn’t bail out quickly enough) and I didn’t want to make it worse by running, but I also didn’t want to withdraw because husbo and I run have run this particular race together every year since its inception. So I decided to walk it and if there’s anything more boring than walking a 5k I don’t know what it is. @ClareWalks, didn’t you give up 5ks for the same reason? At least they gave me a beer at the end, because I love beer at 8:45am. 

Screw you, back injuries!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Pachengala said:

I walked a 5k today, bitterly and with much whining. I tweaked my back mid-deadlift earlier this week (I knew from the moment I lifted that it was going to go badly because of my form, but I couldn’t bail out quickly enough) and I didn’t want to make it worse by running, but I also didn’t want to withdraw because husbo and I run have run this particular race together every year since its inception. So I decided to walk it and if there’s anything more boring than walking a 5k I don’t know what it is. @ClareWalks, didn’t you give up 5ks for the same reason? At least they gave me a beer at the end, because I love beer at 8:45am. 

I don't walk 5Ks anymore because they are too short and not worth getting up early, LOL :) but hey, you finished! And yay for breakfast beer! 

19 hours ago, cherenkov said:

Ran a double header this morning. 5K followed by 10K. Put up two new personal records on the wall.

Congrats. I'm in NC and signed up for the Tarheel 4 miler in about two weeks, they run a 4 and 10 mile race starting a half hour apart. There's a new "double down" version, where if you run the 4 miles in less than 40 mins, and can make it back in line for the 10, you can do both and get three medals. 

16 hours ago, Pachengala said:

There's a Krispy Kreme donut challenge here involving running a few miles, stopping to eat a dozen Krispy Kremes, then running back. That might cure my sugar cravings, the stories that come out of it are funny. 

11 minutes ago, kar328 said:

Congrats. I'm in NC and signed up for the Tarheel 4 miler in about two weeks, they run a 4 and 10 mile race starting a half hour apart. There's a new "double down" version, where if you run the 4 miles in less than 40 mins, and can make it back in line for the 10, you can do both and get three medals. 

There's a Krispy Kreme donut challenge here involving running a few miles, stopping to eat a dozen Krispy Kremes, then running back. That might cure my sugar cravings, the stories that come out of it are funny. 

I would totally do the double down. Because I'm a medal whore. At work they said "Do you want to sign up for the 401(k)?" and I said "Is there a t-shirt and finisher medal?"

The Krispy Kreme one, no way. I am not sure how far I could run without throwing up after eating a dozen doughnuts, but I'm going to take a wild guess that it is far less than "a few miles". The calories in a dozen original glazed is somewhere around the equivalent of a 20 mile run for me.

6 hours ago, cherenkov said:

I would totally do the double down. Because I'm a medal whore. At work they said "Do you want to sign up for the 401(k)?" and I said "Is there a t-shirt and finisher medal?"

The Krispy Kreme one, no way. I am not sure how far I could run without throwing up after eating a dozen doughnuts, but I'm going to take a wild guess that it is far less than "a few miles". The calories in a dozen original glazed is somewhere around the equivalent of a 20 mile run for me.

I had to look it up. It's 2.5 miles from one of the university's, to the Krispy Kreme store, eat, then run back. It started out as a challenge among a group of friends, now has over 6000 people running and the money goes to a local Children's hospital. 

And LOL at your 401K story. The medals in this one are nice and huge. It used to be with a big 10 on it and a microscopic 4, but last year they went with different ones for each distance, so I got my big 4 and it was blinged out since it was the tenth year of the race. They're doing a separate one again this year. 

6 hours ago, kar328 said:

I would totally barf. OTOH, I think I'd totally rock a beer mile. They’re hard to find around here though—the last time I saw one was when I was pregnant; boy was I disappointed I couldn’t sign up.

5 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

I would totally barf. OTOH, I think I'd totally rock a beer mile. They’re hard to find around here though—the last time I saw one was when I was pregnant; boy was I disappointed I couldn’t sign up.

I did a hot chocolate one last year. It was miserable waiting around for it to start and it was more of trail run kind of thing. The hot cocoa was good, loaded up with marshmallows and a candy cane. 

Talk to me about walking shoes. I bought a new pair at the end of February and I’m already wearing them out. They aren’t dead yet but I think I’m going to have to replace them in a couple of months. I like the pair I bought (Ryka) but if there are others I should look at instead I’d like your input. I am walking about 25 miles a week. Outdoors sidewalks. I am 5’11” and current 220 so weight is contributing to quicker wear of the shoes. I have some issues with my left knee. I stepped funny on a crack in the sidewalk and twisted it. Advil before I walk works but I want to be sure I have decent shoes so I don’t make it worse. I’m willing to buy a good pair but cost is a consideration. I saw some $150+ and that’s more than I’d like to pay. Thoughts? Thanks!

1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

Talk to me about walking shoes. I bought a new pair at the end of February and I’m already wearing them out. They aren’t dead yet but I think I’m going to have to replace them in a couple of months. I like the pair I bought (Ryka) but if there are others I should look at instead I’d like your input. I am walking about 25 miles a week. Outdoors sidewalks. I am 5’11” and current 220 so weight is contributing to quicker wear of the shoes. I have some issues with my left knee. I stepped funny on a crack in the sidewalk and twisted it. Advil before I walk works but I want to be sure I have decent shoes so I don’t make it worse. I’m willing to buy a good pair but cost is a consideration. I saw some $150+ and that’s more than I’d like to pay. Thoughts? Thanks!

I would recommend going to a running store and getting fitted for shoes. They'll measure you and watch you both walk/run in what they think works, some people have feet that turn out, some turn in, mine are neutral and different shoes are made for these(I've had the same shoes recommended to me in two different running stores). You don't necessarily have to buy the shoes. I've done it but then bought the same shoes on Amazon for as much as $60 cheaper (I look every so often even when I don't need them). Or you can get the previous model for cheaper - the ones I use just updated and I got two pairs of the previous version for the price of one, so i"m good for at least another year. It's worth it because as you can see from this train wreck of a show, you need your feet to be healthy. I'm lighter now, but used to weigh over your 220. I wear my shoes only for the gym or running/walking (inside and out). The rule of thumb is to replace them every 500 miles or so. 

54 minutes ago, kar328 said:

I would recommend going to a running store and getting fitted for shoes. They'll measure you and watch you both walk/run in what they think works, some people have feet that turn out, some turn in, mine are neutral and different shoes are made for these(I've had the same shoes recommended to me in two different running stores). You don't necessarily have to buy the shoes. I've done it but then bought the same shoes on Amazon for as much as $60 cheaper (I look every so often even when I don't need them). Or you can get the previous model for cheaper - the ones I use just updated and I got two pairs of the previous version for the price of one, so i"m good for at least another year. It's worth it because as you can see from this train wreck of a show, you need your feet to be healthy. I'm lighter now, but used to weigh over your 220. I wear my shoes only for the gym or running/walking (inside and out). The rule of thumb is to replace them every 500 miles or so. 

A good running store is absolutely vital to finding out what kind of shoes are best for your feet and gait if you're going to do any kind of serious walking or running. It's so awesome. When I do go get them to show me things and do gait analysis on me, I tend to buy shoes there because it's a local shop owned and run by local people who are seriously into the running (and walking) community here and I want to support them. I do also buy shoes online because I burn through shoes due to the other thing you mentioned: they need to be replaced so you don't hurt yourself.

I retire them from races at 300 miles. I retire them permanently from running at 500 and will only wear them for stuff like going and spending a few minutes picking up sticks out of the yard or going to the mailbox.  My running shoes are for running only. I have trail shoes for trail running. Hiking shoes for hiking. Lifting shoes for lifting and climbing shoes for climbing. I guess you could say I'm kind of a shoe hound.

(edited)

Thanks kar328 and Cherenkov . I guess I’m going to have to go to a running store. We even have one just up the street but it certainly give off the vibe that it’s not for a middle aged woman who only logs 20-25 miles a week. I’ll give it a try. I spend very little time in shoe stores for any kind of shoe since I wear a 10 1/2 (sometimes 11) so that’s a mail order size for most places. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
10 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Thanks kar328 and Cherenkov . I guess I’m going to have to go to a running store. We even have one just up the street but it certainly give off the vibe that it’s not for a middle aged woman who only logs 20-25 miles a week. I’ll give it a try. I spend very little time in shoe stores for any kind of shoe since I wear a 10 1/2 (sometimes 11) so that’s a mail order size for most places. 

Don't let it stop you. The first time I went to a running store I had done a grand total of one 5K, was 37 years old and weighed 200 pounds. I was running 10 miles a week and went in there saying "I'm new to this, have no idea what I'm doing, and have never owned proper running shoes."

The staff was friendly, helpful, and excited to help someone new get into things. They helped me change my life.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I'm vegetarian, considering becoming vegan, but....cheeeeeese. 

I’ve wanted to go vegan for awhile because the dairy industry is a horror show for animals, but fucking cheese, man. 

@3girlsforus, how’d it go with the shoes? I forgot to chime in at the time, but I LOOOOVE going to the running store—they’re so attentive and concerned with getting you the right product that it feels indulgent, like self-care. I hope your experience was (or will be) like that!

5 hours ago, cherenkov said:

Thank you! I know that I will finish. The questions are:

How long will it take?

How much will it hurt?

As long as it needs to. 

Not as much as you think since your head/heart will be so proud.

• Love 1
On 4/9/2018 at 6:58 PM, cherenkov said:

A good running store is absolutely vital to finding out what kind of shoes are best for your feet and gait if you're going to do any kind of serious walking or running. It's so awesome. When I do go get them to show me things and do gait analysis on me, I tend to buy shoes there because it's a local shop owned and run by local people who are seriously into the running (and walking) community here and I want to support them. I do also buy shoes online because I burn through shoes due to the other thing you mentioned: they need to be replaced so you don't hurt yourself.

I retire them from races at 300 miles. I retire them permanently from running at 500 and will only wear them for stuff like going and spending a few minutes picking up sticks out of the yard or going to the mailbox.  My running shoes are for running only. I have trail shoes for trail running. Hiking shoes for hiking. Lifting shoes for lifting and climbing shoes for climbing. I guess you could say I'm kind of a shoe hound.

Oh, a fellow athletic shoe slut..... At one point, I counted 25 pairs of athletic shoes: running shoes, walking shoes, Zumba shoes, lifting shoes, cycling shoes (with clips), and water aerobics shoes. Now that I no longer run or do water aerobics, my collection is considerably smaller.  Like fewer than 15 pairs. 

2 hours ago, kar328 said:

As long as it needs to. 

Not as much as you think since your head/heart will be so proud.

Those are very accurate answers. It will take how long it takes to get that finisher medal. It will hurt a lot until I cross the finish line and then I will feel no pain at all.

1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

Oh, a fellow athletic shoe slut..... At one point, I counted 25 pairs of athletic shoes: running shoes, walking shoes, Zumba shoes, lifting shoes, cycling shoes (with clips), and water aerobics shoes. Now that I no longer run or do water aerobics, my collection is considerably smaller.  Like fewer than 15 pairs. 

Ah yes, I forgot about the biking shoes. And the hiking boots for when it's too cold and snowy for the shoes. And the running shoes that aren't retired, but aren't for racing on anymore. And the boots that I only wear on the motorcycle. So many shoes.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Pachengala said:

I’ve wanted to go vegan for awhile because the dairy industry is a horror show for animals, but fucking cheese, man. 

@3girlsforus, how’d it go with the shoes? I forgot to chime in at the time, but I LOOOOVE going to the running store—they’re so attentive and concerned with getting you the right product that it feels indulgent, like self-care. I hope your experience was (or will be) like that!

Thanks so much for asking. I haven’t gone yet. Probably next week. I’m really needing to replace my current shoes. Of course my daughter needed new shoes so she got them today LOL. I’ll let you know how it goes. I am pretty nervous about it but I guess if they are stuck up jerks I can leave. 

2 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I am pretty nervous about it but I guess if they are stuck up jerks I can leave. 

Leave AND leave them a crappy yelp review! You’re the customer! You’re giving them money! But I’m not worried—I think you’re going to have fun. 

Well after going clothes shopping on Friday I've become motivated to loose a few.  I don't understand how Whitney sees how she looks in clothes from all angles and it doesn't bother her.    As I was cursing every inch of my body I was sort of wishing I had a bit more confidence and less hatred.  I'm a good 200 pounds less than her but I felt like a whale in that dressing room.   I'm cutting way back on carbs because that always worked in the past, lots of vegetables and proteins and walking.  Wish me luck!

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, SevenCostanza said:

I'm cutting way back on carbs because that always worked in the past, lots of vegetables and proteins and walking.  Wish me luck!

Good luck! And may I add a suggestion: write down every morsel you eat -- keeps you very honest.

Two good electronic foods journals: (1) My Fitness Pal app & (2) calorieking.com website.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Dot said:

Good luck! And may I add a suggestion: write down every morsel you eat -- keeps you very honest.

Two good electronic foods journals: (1) My Fitness Pal app & (2) calorieking.com website.

Thanks Dot, good suggestion, I've never done a food journal.

2 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

Well after going clothes shopping on Friday I've become motivated to loose a few.  I don't understand how Whitney sees how she looks in clothes from all angles and it doesn't bother her.    As I was cursing every inch of my body I was sort of wishing I had a bit more confidence and less hatred.  I'm a good 200 pounds less than her but I felt like a whale in that dressing room.   I'm cutting way back on carbs because that always worked in the past, lots of vegetables and proteins and walking.  Wish me luck!

Good luck!!  Walking and MyFitnessPal are working well for me. I also recommend taking periodic measurements. I was frustrated because I felt like I wasn’t progressing as quickly as I should have but my clothes were feeling a bit looser. Then I took some measurements. I was really shrinking in size. The scale didn’t show it for a bit longer. I still have a long way to go but I recently had to buy new ‘interim’ pants because mine fell off in the Bed Bath and Beyond LOL

You can do this!!

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 4