Type keyword(s) to search

As Seen On TV: Does ANY of this crap work?

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Given all of the brain supplement commercials, I can't say that I am surprised that now there is an infomercial for something called NeuroQ.

I don't think they should be able to advertise any prescription medicine.  I don't mind commercials for Advil, Tylenol, Claritin, etc.  but meds that require a doctor's prescription should not be allowed.  

I don't know if NeuroQ requires a prescription or not but I think the many brain supplement ads are targeting aging boomers.  It's always all about money.

Edited by AnnA
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

Just saw an ad for a thing called a "spurtle". Apparently this is an old kitchen utensil used in Scotland for hundreds of years but the name sounds like something a rotund basketball player would wear to keep his gut in.

• LOL 12
44 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Just saw an ad for a thing called a "spurtle". Apparently this is an old kitchen utensil used in Scotland for hundreds of years but the name sounds like something a rotund basketball player would wear to keep his gut in.

The one with Lucinda Scala Quinn who used to work for Martha Stewart? My husband and I think that is the most ridiculous sounding name and have managed to twist it into something dirty so that we get the giggles every time we see the commercial. Shoot, I'm sitting here giggling just thinking about a spurtle. 

• LOL 5
(edited)
5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The one with Lucinda Scala Quinn who used to work for Martha Stewart? My husband and I think that is the most ridiculous sounding name and have managed to twist it into something dirty so that we get the giggles every time we see the commercial. Shoot, I'm sitting here giggling just thinking about a spurtle. 

Aw c'mon, we all have our hair down. Do tell?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 3
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Aw c'mon, we all have our hair down. Do tell?

I think the part where she says it's the most used tool in the kitchen led us down a "that's what she said" path. Now the word just makes us laugh.

• LOL 3

I saw that commercial and ordered a set.    You have to be careful to get the ones advertised, if you're ordering from Amazon, it's the Mad Hungry edition, not the 4 million competing ones that are other types of wood.   The spurtles seem sturdy, and I hope they're half as useful as the commercial claims they are.    I giggle over the woman's name too. 

• Love 3
On 6/15/2021 at 3:21 PM, AnnA said:

I don't think they should be able to advertise any prescription medicine.  I don't mind commercials for Advil, Tylenol, Claritin, etc.  but meds that require a doctor's prescription should not be allowed.  

I agree.  The US and New Zealand are the only countries that allow direct to consumer commercials for prescription drugs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 6/15/2021 at 6:21 PM, AnnA said:

I don't know if NeuroQ requires a prescription or not but I think the many brain supplement ads are targeting aging boomers.  It's always all about money.

Hi Anna...I agree with you.
In fact, I think...um...wait a minute, it'll come to me...uhh...now what was I doing?  Oh yes, something about the cat.  No wait...uhh...oh well, never mind. 

• LOL 6
On 11/26/2021 at 7:26 PM, Leeds said:

I agree.  The US and New Zealand are the only countries that allow direct to consumer commercials for prescription drugs.

I believe that they've only been able to run TV ads for prescription medicines since the early 80s. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I believe that they've only been able to run TV ads for prescription medicines since the early 80s. 

Somehow that makes it worse.  As in, if it were a leftover from a time of zero regulations, it would be one thing, but to be a recent introduction is just irresponsible and wrong.  (I'm not blaming the drug companies, of course they'll advertise if they can.)

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Somehow that makes it worse.  As in, if it were a leftover from a time of zero regulations, it would be one thing, but to be a recent introduction is just irresponsible and wrong.  (I'm not blaming the drug companies, of course they'll advertise if they can.)

To me, it makes no sense to advertise to patients.  They, I would hope, have no choice in the matter.  It's not like I should be able to just go to the doctor and say I want X drug because I saw it on TV (at least I hope not).  Although I guess there was some of that with Oxycontin.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

To me, it makes no sense to advertise to patients.  They, I would hope, have no choice in the matter.  It's not like I should be able to just go to the doctor and say I want X drug because I saw it on TV (at least I hope not).  Although I guess there was some of that with Oxycontin.

It just bothers me because the pharmaceutical companies used to wine and dine Dr.s to get them to push their products. Now they use TV ads. It's all so sordid.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

If there weren't people asking for specific drugs, why would they be advertised on TV, in People Magazine, etc?  I would hope that's not how my doctor is influenced, and yet . . . .

I asked my doctor if anyone ever came into his office and requested a medication they'd seen on TV.  He said it happens occasionally but after he tells them the medication advertised isn't effective for their condition, plus it will cost more than double than what they're already taking, they usually let it go.  If they still insist on it he tells them to find another doctor. He also hates it when people come in and say they have a disease they saw on WebMD.  

When I first started out as a nurse it wasn't unusual to have drug reps come in and give us all pens, coffee cups, small stuffed toys, etc.  Of course all of these had the drug name they were pushing printed on them. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I asked my doctor if anyone ever came into his office and requested a medication they'd seen on TV.  He said it happens occasionally but after he tells them the medication advertised isn't effective for their condition, plus it will cost more than double than what they're already taking, they usually let it go.  If they still insist on it he tells them to find another doctor. He also hates it when people come in and say they have a disease they saw on WebMD.  

When I was choosing health insurance for our company, the rep was telling about certain drugs that were either not covered or had much higher co-pays. I asked how I was to know which drugs those were and she said anything seen on TV.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shlbycindyk said:

He also hates it when people come in and say they have a disease they saw on WebMD. 

I can just imagine how frustrating it's been for him if he's had any patients who believe they're COVID experts. 

• Love 5
On 11/30/2021 at 11:35 AM, shlbycindyk said:

When I first started out as a nurse it wasn't unusual to have drug reps come in and give us all pens, coffee cups, small stuffed toys, etc.  Of course all of these had the drug name they were pushing printed on them. 

I work in a doctors office as well and they also bring lunch r breakfast sometimes snacks because they really want the doctors to use their drugs.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

I work in a doctors office as well and they also bring lunch r breakfast sometimes snacks because they really want the doctors to use their drugs.

When I was a vet tech, the reps would come in with bottles of wine and cigars for the vets. They would also show up when the cops were there in the evening. We had a contract with the City for all the police dogs and the K9 guys would come in after hours to drink beer with the younger vet. The reps would show up and drink with them.

On 7/11/2021 at 1:47 PM, peacheslatour said:

Sure, it's been a year since Peaches posted this, but... I can give a report on these Spurtles.

I found a 4-pc set at a thrift shop for about $5 (a Hospice kind, so some old lady probably purchased them and never had a chance to open them...). They're silicone-covered, and included a small skinny one for spreading things (green), a squat fat one (purple), a regular size slotted one (teal), and a comically large unslotted one (red). 

The green one is good for scraping sides of jars, but its little upswept tip makes it not the best for spreading peanut butter or things of that nature. I wouldn't frost cookies with it, or schmear my bagel, as the hook at the tip kind of 'holds on' to spreads. It also kind of looks... sexual... like it's meant to "reach" something. 

The purple one is perfect for 1-qt pots, for rice or oatmeal, or anything thick like that. It reminds me a little of a rice paddle. It's my favorite out of the four pieces, and the one I reach for the most.  

The teal one is I guess the 'multi-tasker' of the group, and I've used it for basic sautéing and such (chicken, ground beef, etc.), but I'm not in love with it. It's also good for bigger pots of thick stuff (rice, oatmeal, etc.). I would guess you COULD separate an egg, or whisk something, but my brain doesn't go there... so I've never tried it. 

The red one is huge (seriously, it's like over a foot long). Stockpot size, massive amounts of mac & cheese huge, Viking oatmeal breakfast huge. I don't think I've used it at all (well, once, but it was to swat my spouse's tushie when he walked by. He said that sucker was SOLID!). 

Also, the handles are chunky, kind of bulbous at the ends, and when covered with silicone, makes them a beast to slide into my utensil crock. Because of that, I find I don't reach for them as often as I do other regular silicone spatulas. 

I'd be unhappy if I'd spent $20 or more on this set, but for $5, they were worth it, I suppose. At least that $5 went to a worthy cause (the Haven thrift shop). 

• Useful 5

Has anyone purchased the glare reducers that attach to your sun visor.  We bought some years ago but they did not work.  We now live in the southwest and sun glare in the afternoon is fierce.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 3/17/2022 at 10:41 AM, amykay9377 said:

Sure, it's been a year since Peaches posted this, but... I can give a report on these Spurtles.

I found a 4-pc set at a thrift shop for about $5 (a Hospice kind, so some old lady probably purchased them and never had a chance to open them...). They're silicone-covered, and included a small skinny one for spreading things (green), a squat fat one (purple), a regular size slotted one (teal), and a comically large unslotted one (red). 

The green one is good for scraping sides of jars, but its little upswept tip makes it not the best for spreading peanut butter or things of that nature. I wouldn't frost cookies with it, or schmear my bagel, as the hook at the tip kind of 'holds on' to spreads. It also kind of looks... sexual... like it's meant to "reach" something. 

The purple one is perfect for 1-qt pots, for rice or oatmeal, or anything thick like that. It reminds me a little of a rice paddle. It's my favorite out of the four pieces, and the one I reach for the most.  

The teal one is I guess the 'multi-tasker' of the group, and I've used it for basic sautéing and such (chicken, ground beef, etc.), but I'm not in love with it. It's also good for bigger pots of thick stuff (rice, oatmeal, etc.). I would guess you COULD separate an egg, or whisk something, but my brain doesn't go there... so I've never tried it. 

The red one is huge (seriously, it's like over a foot long). Stockpot size, massive amounts of mac & cheese huge, Viking oatmeal breakfast huge. I don't think I've used it at all (well, once, but it was to swat my spouse's tushie when he walked by. He said that sucker was SOLID!). 

Also, the handles are chunky, kind of bulbous at the ends, and when covered with silicone, makes them a beast to slide into my utensil crock. Because of that, I find I don't reach for them as often as I do other regular silicone spatulas. 

I'd be unhappy if I'd spent $20 or more on this set, but for $5, they were worth it, I suppose. At least that $5 went to a worthy cause (the Haven thrift shop). 

So I read your post without really paying attention, and between @Peaches' reference to it sounding like a gut sucker for overweight basketball players, and your reference to Hospice, I spent a little while under the misapprehension that it was some kind of medical device.  I couldn't understand how (or why)  you would adapt it to a cooking utensil.

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 6

If you have seen the commercials for the Blue Bunny Twist Cones and have thought, "Those look good!" They are not good. They are beyond good. They are absolutely delicious for a store-bought ice cream cone. The ice cream tastes like it comes from an ice cream parlor and is not stale or bland. The sugar cone is crispy and just as good as the ice cream.

• Useful 9
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

If you have seen the commercials for the Blue Bunny Twist Cones and have thought, "Those look good!" They are not good. They are beyond good. They are absolutely delicious for a store-bought ice cream cone. The ice cream tastes like it comes from an ice cream parlor and is not stale or bland. The sugar cone is crispy and just as good as the ice cream.

Good to know! My husband loves chocolate and ice cream. I buy him the Blue Bunny chocolate sundaes and he thinks they are the best thing he's ever eaten.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Putting them on my grocery list for tomorrow!! Thanks for sharing! Hope my store has them.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

Thanks for the tip.   I don't buy it in the winter but it will be summer soon and I'll be buying ice cream regularly.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, mmecorday said:

yes, i  love all the blue bunny cones, chocolate is best!

• Love 2
On 4/28/2022 at 10:52 PM, mmecorday said:

BLUE BUNNY ROCKS!!! That is  all.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I tried the Strawberry Cheesecake cones and they are good! My favorites though are the Blue Bunny mini chocolate dipped cones. More my size serving...

Thanks for the tip --- I'll look for these at the store.  

• Love 1

I've gotten a couple of the Blue Bunny mini flavors that were definitely yummy.  Then recently I got a pack of full size cones (cookies and cream, maybe?) that were more like a candy bar with a little bit of ice cream mixed in.  Not that that's an entirely bad thing, but I was more in the mood for the ice cream part of the deal.  I think I'll stick to the minis!

• Useful 2

I picked up the Blue Bunny chocolate covered vanilla minis today - just the right size for a serving and tasty. I need to go back and get the strawberry cheesecake cones. Dannon strawberry cheesecake yogurt is my favorite flavor. I'd also like to try the swirls. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Has anyone tried Magic Spoon?   It's supposed to be like Fruit Loops but better for you...which I assume is code for "tastes like purple styrofoam". 

They claim it's "grain-free," so how the hell can it be cereal, when grain is the very definition of cereal.  Styrofoam is probably correct.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/16/2022 at 8:39 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

They claim it's "grain-free," so how the hell can it be cereal, when grain is the very definition of cereal.  Styrofoam is probably correct.

Well if milk can be milk-free cereal can be grain-free.  I wonder what happens if you pour milk-free milk on grain-free cereal?  Does a black hole open up and lead to apocalypse? 

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 11
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Well if milk can be milk-free cereal can be grain-free.  I wonder what happens if you pour milk-free milk on grain-free cereal?  Does a black hole open up and lead to apocalypse? 

It could just suck in the person eating grain free cereal with milk free milk & would be a wondrous thing as they are mostly self righteous a**holes.

• Applause 3

What's the deal with Yummy Cans?  I've seen two different commercials featuring gizmos that don't look the same, yet they're both called Yummy Can (one makes baked potatoes & the other bacon, both in the microwave) and they're both quitting. "When they're gone, they're gone."  One of 'em limits you to 3 and the other to 4 purchases. Two different products with the same name. I am SO freakin' confused. I think I'll go throw a potato in the nuke to see what happens.

• LOL 1
On 8/28/2022 at 6:38 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

What's the deal with Yummy Cans?  I've seen two different commercials featuring gizmos that don't look the same, yet they're both called Yummy Can (one makes baked potatoes & the other bacon, both in the microwave) and they're both quitting. "When they're gone, they're gone."  One of 'em limits you to 3 and the other to 4 purchases. Two different products with the same name. I am SO freakin' confused. I think I'll go throw a potato in the nuke to see what happens.

I read some reviews on the Bacon version, more one star than anything else.   One one star review said it took longer to clean the device than it took to cook the bacon in a pan, and then clean up.         If I'm going to microwave bacon, I'll get the ready to cook microwave version, or completely cooked that only warms up in the microwave. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 6/5/2022 at 11:32 PM, Colleenna said:

BLUE BUNNY ROCKS!!! That is  all.

Eh, I tried their low-fat chocolate popsicle thingies, and they were nasty.  I know, low-fat, but I've had some really good ones before.  Just not Blue Bunny.

• Sad 1

My husband is a chocoholic. He LOVES the Blue Bunny sundaes. I love their minicones. Just the right portion.

ETA: Because I bought the Blue Bunny cones, the store gave me a coupon for $2.75 off Drumstick minicones. I bought a box, and they are not nearly as good as the Blue Bunny.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 8/28/2022 at 7:38 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I have a large "pouch" (think oversized square oven mitt) that I bought at least 10 years ago for cooking potatoes in the numerous, and it rocks! 

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Has anybody tried Crepe Erase? I've started getting crepy skin on my upper arms.

I think if I could remember to use it consistently it might work,  but at my age I'm lucky if I remember to put underwear on. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
On 6/13/2021 at 12:52 PM, peacheslatour said:

I know this is kind of a big ticket item for As Seen On... but does anybody here have Leaf Guard? My DH is obsessed with having this done to our gutters and I'd really like him to never go on the roof again. It just seems too good to be true.

This question was posed many months ago, but my gutter guards worked so flawlessly I had to respond.

The gutter guards were already installed when I bought the house, so I can't verify the exact brand, but during my 12 years there, I never had a clogged gutter, never had to clean a gutter out. 

A four-story house built in 1904, surrounded by ancient gumball trees constantly dropping leaves and ankle-breakers--I LOVED those gutter guards.

The End.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1

Isn't it sad that supplies costs rising and supply chain issues are preventing Bulbhead from making any more of their products?  Is anyone else having these issues?  Oh, yeah, mypillowdude says he is, but...

I wonder who sold Bulbhead on the idea that "discontinuing" their items was a good one.

• Like 3