Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, louannems said:

http://people.com/tv/jill-duggar-dillard-husband-derick-love-being-parents-far-from-mastering-it/

I really can't believe the Dullards are in People magazine again.  Derick claims that Izzy is manipulative!  And that his human nature is still there!  Oh, I feel so sorry for the way they are raising him!

Uh. Jill?  Your mom hasn't raised any children.  I wouldn't go to her for advice on how to tie shoes, much less parenting.  Nevertheless you seem to absorbed her parenting style very well.

• Love 14
19 minutes ago, louannems said:

http://people.com/tv/jill-duggar-dillard-husband-derick-love-being-parents-far-from-mastering-it/

I really can't believe the Dullards are in People magazine again.  Derick claims that Izzy is manipulative!  And that his human nature is still there!  Oh, I feel so sorry for the way they are raising him!

They're pathetic!  Is Derick trying to say that his goal as a parent is to eliminate Izzy's human nature?  How sad is that?  Also, if Izzy is 'manipulating' Derick by telling him he loves him, where did he learn that?  Kids learn from example.  As for Jill, claiming she asks for parenting advice all the time, I don't believe it for a second.  She never asks for guidance on anything else in her life (except maybe from her parental units). She's a Duggar, she has an inflated sense of her own abilities.  Just like she seemingly didn't ask anyone for help as she mismanaged her own labor and delivery, I don't think she is asking anyone's opinion as she mismanages her son's childhood, the little sinner.

• Love 17
Just now, latetotheparty said:

Uh. Jill?  Your mom hasn't raised any children.  I wouldn't go to her for advice on how to tie shoes, much less parenting.  Nevertheless you seem to absorbed her parenting style very well.

Well, she did raise Josh...

She's clearly purposed to be a warning to others.

• Love 14

Okay, I caved. This part struck me. Sounds like they're going to be back at the Pool House sooner rather than later. 

We look forward to returning home soon to prepare for the birth (before we can’t fly anymore!).

But keep on DONATING! $24 grand can only make so many squares of banana bread! 

(eta: I was also right about the origin of "Samuelito". I wonder if they really are going to name their spawn Samuel, or if this is more....MANIPULATION for the leghumpers to chew on.)

These people are abhorrent. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

They're pathetic!  Is Derick trying to say that his goal as a parent is to eliminate Izzy's human nature?  How sad is that?  Also, if Izzy is 'manipulating' Derick by telling him he loves him, where did he learn that?  Kids learn from example.  As for Jill, claiming she asks for parenting advice all the time, I don't believe it for a second.  She never asks for guidance on anything else in her life (except maybe from her parental units). She's a Duggar, she has an inflated sense of her own abilities.  Just like she seemingly didn't ask anyone for help as she mismanaged her own labor and delivery, I don't think she is asking anyone's opinion as she mismanages her son's childhood, the little sinner.

I was gonna say, I bet it's adorable manipulation, which may be why I'm best not in charge of molding young minds, lol.

• Love 2

In that blog post the Dillards refuse to state the name of S.O.S. Ministries:

"We had about 20 of Israel’s friends come to the “hospitality house” (the home the ministry we work with is letting us stay in) for snacks, fellowship and a piñata.

"Like I (Jill) mentioned in our last update, we had the privilege of working with a short-term team from the states for about 2 weeks. The ministry we work with sends down several teams a year that each have different focuses."

I can't believe they are still being so evasive (deliberately dishonest) about this.  At least they finally admit that S.O.S. pays for the house they live in, but, do please continue to DONATE to the Dillards instead of S.O.S.

And, what is up with Israel being sick?  Maybe the Zika virus?

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Mollie said:

In that blog post the Dillards refuse to state the name of S.O.S. Ministries

I can't believe they are still being so evasive (deliberately dishonest) about this.  At least they finally admit that S.O.S. pays for the house they live in, but, do please continue to DONATE to the Dillards instead of S.O.S.

Weird! Maybe they are contracted and not actually employed by SOS?

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Weird! Maybe they are contracted and not actually employed by SOS?

If they are paid by SOS, it's not the 8 grand a month they're asking for.  I think they are asking for donations for their own 'ministry' so that they can have it for their own use.  If  they encouraged donations to SOS, the money wouldn't go directly to them; instead, TPTB at SOS would decide how to divvy it up.

I don't think they are employees of SOS.  Amongst other things, if they were, they probably wouldn't be able to solicit funds for themselves, only for the mission as a whole.  They also wouldn't be allowed to take unlimited vacation time and bop back to the US for months at a time.  They'd also probably have assigned duties every day; real missionaries do the grunt work like answering phones, handing out fliers and keeping the church clean and in good repair.  I think they get to stay in the SOS house for free in return for serving as tour guides for missioncationers a couple times a year and for mentioning SOS here and there and talking about working in El Salvador on TV.  They're sort of subcontractors, IMO. 

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9

“We know that human nature is still there because he’s very manipulative,” says Derick. “He’ll say, ‘I love you, papi,’ like if he’s really trying to get something to butter you up right before he asks for something.”

What...like going through an elaborate courtship ritual? Like filling out a 50 page questionnaire? Like posting happy, happy, happy pictures all the time to make people think your faith is just!so!totally!awesome! and send you money? Jesus, Derrick, you wife is the biggest suck up of her family. Wonder where Izzy got it from. (And LOL at Derrick implying he and Jill aren't human anymore. That's just so out there. Nice religion, assholes.)

• Love 20

IMO, they actually believe that people still don't know exactly where they are. Naming SOS would pinpoint anyone with google-fu skillz. 

They're really stupid. I think everyone knows where they are, even if their "employer" isn't known to some. You'd think that they'd call out SOS to bring forth more missioncationers and $$$ for the "ministry." Especially, if, as @doodlebug noted, they are sub-contracted as "ambassadors" for the brand. That said, they won't be on hand for the several summer missioncations, since they are scheduled in July/August. I suspect that the Dullards won't return to Danger America until little Samuelito is about 4 months old. eta: List of upcoming missioncations. http://www.soshope.org/serve-overseas/ They won't be there for any of them. 

The "returning soon" bit just reminded me that the Family Camp has a wedding next weekend. Maybe they're leaving REALLY soon. Like this weekend soon. I guess we'll find out soon enough; there's always some teenage leghumper who spills the beans on Instagram. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

The "returning soon" bit just reminded me that the Family Camp has a wedding next weekend. Maybe they're leaving REALLY soon. Like this weekend soon. I guess we'll find out soon enough; there's always some teenage leghumper who spills the beans on Instagram. 

If she's due in July she'd better get her ass on a commercial flight as of next weekend; I seem to remember something about airlines frowning on pregnant women flying after 7 months. I'm sure they'll lie about it, however. They lie about everything else!

Triple D's comments about the Big White Baby "manipulating" them? I am sick that sweet little boy wasn't born into a family that would love him just the way he is instead of their efforts to force him to toe the Gothard line. I'll bet Triple D's mom is oh, so proud when she reads her son's commenting in print that he's subjecting his own son to the emotional abuse his wife grew up with.

One is tempted to put money on the fact that Jilly Muffin and Triple D will not be anywhere near Danger America again until 2018.

• Love 14

Israel is a manipulative little prick at 2 years old. "I love you, can I have a bite of your apple?" <not a real quote.  Good thing Derelict isn't falling for it. They are going to have another kid who will get all the attention from the aunts and the Danger American banana bread nannies. 

Defiant jerk. Still has human nature! Wtf Jill I am stunned you have been so lenient. Ignore that kid completely and leave him locked outside at night, he'll turn feral soon enough when he has to gather his own food and use animal instincts for survival. 

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 17
7 hours ago, Christina87 said:

They are literally doing nothing down there except for leading around spring breakers and baking cookies...nothing...

They probably have tea in the afternoon with the drug cartels and they all laugh when Dillards explain "haha 24,000 just with a donate button"

• Love 1

Israel and I made Easter/Resurrection Day cookies that we shared with people in the community along with a gospel message. It is common here in our area for people to focus on the suffering of Jesus and lose sight of the hope that we can have through salvation because Jesus rose again. We wanted to highlight this important reality this last week on Easter Sunday.

What is she getting at? Is she saying the poor, ignorant Catholics focus too much on Lent (e.g. The Stations of the Cross)? The arrogance is stunning. Wtf.

• Love 23
5 hours ago, Mollie said:

In that blog post the Dillards refuse to state the name of S.O.S. Ministries:

"We had about 20 of Israel’s friends come to the “hospitality house” (the home the ministry we work with is letting us stay in) for snacks, fellowship and a piñata.

"Like I (Jill) mentioned in our last update, we had the privilege of working with a short-term team from the states for about 2 weeks. The ministry we work with sends down several teams a year that each have different focuses."

Perhaps the Dullards (or more likely Jim Boob) are actually paying SOS so that they can stay in that house and work a little with the SOS mission. That gives the Dullards a relatively safe place to live and a bit of legitimacy to their missionary efforts, but the Dullards can still be their own donation-grubbing entity. That would explain why they use the terms "work with" and "work alongside." The Dullards see themselves as partners with SOS. If they are paying SOS to live in that house, I doubt it's much, but that would also explain why they were trying to get $24,000 - they have rent to pay! I really think JB is putting up the $$ though, so that he can claim the charitable contribution on his tax return.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Beaner said:

Israel and I made Easter/Resurrection Day cookies that we shared with people in the community along with a gospel message. It is common here in our area for people to focus on the suffering of Jesus and lose sight of the hope that we can have through salvation because Jesus rose again. We wanted to highlight this important reality this last week on Easter Sunday.

What is she getting at? Is she saying the poor, ignorant Catholics focus too much on Lent (e.g. The Stations of the Cross)? The arrogance is stunning. Wtf.

Well, she has to come up with some reason to justify their presence and existence... like the Catholics don't know Easter Sunday exists and is the culmination of the holy week.  

• Love 10

I hope they don't turn Izzy into Jana 2.0 and hate him because he isn't a robot. Toddlers are  manipulative. They can't control a whole lot of their behavior. They have short attention spans and can turn in a dime emotionally. This is normal, God granted, child development, not sin. 

I sort of give Derrick a semi pass because he hasn't been around many small kids. Jill the Dumbass gets no pass. She calls herself a child expert and things she's some sort of midwifery guru. She's always been around babies and raised several siblings. She should know or at least try to learn that toddlers are trying to develop some independence and learning to think, and they think the world revolves around them. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Beaner said:

Considering the Duggars' favorite hymn is about blood, it's takes some fucking nerve to claim that others are too into suffering. As if there's a more willfully joyless group of people that fundies.

• Love 15

The Dillard's latest DONATE plea is for money to buy Bibles.  They want you to send $240 a year ($20 a month) so they can buy Bibles to distribute.  I guess they have not heard of the Gideons, where they can get free Bibles to distribute.  The Gideons have distributed over two billion free Bibles in 200 languages.

Jill says, "We have become more focused on youth ministry in our local area."  From this picture, it doesn't look like these kids are old enough to read any book, let alone the Bible.

0 0 1 Derick.jpg

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

However, Jillymuffin has already been down in Danger America baking and telling ignorant Catholics that Jesus rose from the dead, y'all! for 2 whole months IN A ROW!!!  She and Derick need a break, they cannot be expected to continue at this breakneck pace indefinitely!  This has already been one of their longest continuous stints down there, I am sure they will be leaving shortly so Jill can rest before mismanaging her next birth.  After all, their budget for this 'term' was a mere $24,000; they can't live on love, ya know!

I don't believe there have been any family members down to visit Jillymuffin either.   She has got to be exhausted!  I don't want to give their website another hit, so this is purely from memory.  Jill said she was going to minister to visit with a woman during the week "God willing"....   I took this to mean she has ONE WHOLE partial day of "work" this week.   I don't know how she does it...  Asshole

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Mollie said:

The Dillard's latest DONATE plea is for money to buy Bibles.  They want you to send $240 a year ($20 a month) so they can buy Bibles to distribute.  I guess they have not heard of the Gideons, where they can get free Bibles to distribute.  The Gideons have distributed over two billion free Bibles in 200 languages.

Jill says, "We have become more focused on youth ministry in our local area."  From this picture, it doesn't look like these kids are old enough to read any book, let alone the Bible.

0 0 1 Derick.jpg

The Gideon's purchase the Bibles  they distribute from donations, too. Also they are supposed to individually hand out their little New Testaments, not give bulk boxes for others to distribute. This is how they know obnoxious groups aren't forcing them on people or profiting from selling them, etc.

Very different from JimBob. Gideon's are usually very sweet elderly people who sincerely want everyone to be able to have a copy of God's word. They don't force anything or pester people. 

I doubt if they'd give JimBob a bunch if cases of bibles and let him do whatever. I don't think JimBob asking people to buy Bibles to distribute even ranks on the Duggar BS Activity list.

Just now, tabloidlover said:

I don't believe there have been any family members down to visit Jillymuffin either.   She has got to be exhausted!  I don't want to give their website another hit, so this is purely from memory.  Jill said she was going to minister to visit with a woman during the week "God willing"....   I took this to mean she has ONE WHOLE partial day of "work" this week.   I don't know how she does it...  Asshole

My mind is picturing s bunch of women hitting the lights and ducking under their tables when they see Jill coming down the street. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

I'm still pissed off about about the manipulation. You can tell a lot about how someone was raised by how they raise their kids. Sometimes people overcorrect and go in the opposite direction - like Jill could become super liberal and lenient. Other people become super analytical and try to dissect every little behavior. That's not Jill either - she's been proud to point out to Izzy that he's not the center of the world by having another kid, and she thinks he's a manipulator at 2. Toddlers are sweet and innocent - and assholes. This is not their fault. Thus is normal human development. Pull your head out of your ass, Jilly Dumbfin.

And Derick, you weak reed, you voluntarily embraced this crazy shit and gave up a decent life not just for yourself, but for the zillions of kids you have coming. Get some sense, and a spine pronto. Oh, and Also, a shit ton of psychotherapy for your family. You can even find a good therapist in El Salvador. We'd DONATE $24k for that.

Fuck Michelle and Jim Bob for the emotional legacy they've left an untold number of generations.

ZRN8_f-maxage-0.gif

Again, though, they're following their religion as they've been given to understand it. Human nature is corrupt from Adam's fall, and it's Christians' job to root out that corruption, which is there from birth. That's been part of the upbringing philosophy of many Christians for hundreds of years at least. They didn't invent this. They're trying to be super-Christians according to their lights. In their minds, if they didn't see Izzy's essential human corruption and do everything they can to root it out, they'd be doing him a terrible disservice.

I'm sure they see it as part of their ministry and mission to do this and to show themselves doing it as a good example to others, just like that women-are-made-by-God-to-be-subservient preacher at Jere-meee's church the other day. And that gang of guys Bin's going to be "speaking" onstage with in June or whenever -- they say the exact same thing as the Dulls are saying here, and in some cases with much much more emphasis on rooting things out by beatings and so on.

We're so outraged at all the Duggars all the time but I expect we'd be shocked shocked shocked to learn how many other people are saying the exact same things. And saying it to applause because this kind of thing is construed as hewing to the true traditions and making Christianity great again. The Duggs and Duggar adjacents just happen to be saying it on public media that reaches a lot of people who aren't in their groups. So we have a tendency to blame them, in particular, and think they're some kind of unique jerks.

But that's short-sighted because they're not unique a bit, when it comes to their "beliefs." Every time we look at some crap they say and think they're idiots, that's the exact time when they're seeing themselves as community leaders and role models, leading everybody in the way their godly forefathers decreed everybody should go, I think. And none of them is smart enough to have invented any of this. They're parroting what they've heard and read and seen, as usual. I'm pretty sure that every one of the very most-offensive-to-most-outsiders-like-us utterances that the Dullards, Bin and Jess, Jere-mee and assorted other Duggarlings have publicly expressed via social media or whatever is actually the very best example of what they should be saying to the masses to teach and lead us, in their minds.

Every time I see one of these things, I realize that, yeah, no wonder they think they have a mission. God's allowed them to have this loud loud pulpit where they can put all this stuff out there and see it communicated to not just thousands but possibly millions more people than any of the other "ministers" and "missionaries" saying these same things get to reach. I'm sure they see that as a huge huge gift from God and evidence of  his favor and feel a big responsibility to put all these cracked things out there strongly so they can redeem the utterly corrupt contemporary world to their way of "thinking." And no wonder Der, Bin and Jer were drawn to this like magnets. Without the Duggs, they'd never ever get this chance to be Jesus's big-time servants.

It all just feeds their worst delusions. I can't wait for them to be off tv so their fame starts to shrink and fade. Don't know when that'll ever be, though.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

"We had about 20 of Israel’s friends come to the “hospitality house” (the home the ministry we work with is letting us stay in) for snacks, fellowship and a piñata.

Enough with the frickin Churchspeak.  A bunch of little kids don't have fellowship, they play, run, scream and have fun.  

• Love 20

I swear, someone had to have edited that for Jill - when has she ever used "thus" in a sentence before?

She sounds like she's trying to prove they are doing good work down there and answer our criticisms by pointing out all the times they are going out to interact with the people. What she just isn't getting is that our complaint is they aren't actually helping the people. They aren't building houses, upgrading utilities, showing useful skills - they're just speaking to them about their beliefs.  For them, that is the same thing because they are saving their souls.

D looks like he is admonishing those kids.  If he really wants to get their interest, he should have them all be sitting on the floor - including him- and have some sort of visual aid, manipulative thing for them.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Mollie said:

0 0 1 Derick.jpg

Anyone want to bet that the Bibles the Dullards buy to hand out in Danger America are KJV, written in English? There's no way they'd get Bibles from the Gideons, especially written in Spanish! Gideons aren't Gothard-believers, who knows what their Bibles say.

Those poor kids in the picture look like they're bored out of their minds. 

• Love 11

You can't have an Easter without a Good Friday. Jesus taking on the crucifixion as payment for our sins AND His resurrection was the entire reason for His life on Earth. That is what I was taught. Good Friday shouldn't be shoved under the table as it leads us to Easter. Jill needs to take some real religious education classes. What's Derick's excuse? Didn't he attend real Sunday school as a child?

Why would anyone want to turn their child in to an unemotional robot?  Attempting to remove human nature from a child just isn't right IMO. I don't think all human nature is 'evil'. That's the way it is for these people, they are extremists...all or nothing. I have seen it in the way Jim Bob and Michelle have lived their lives, from teenagers to now, they have made extreme changes and decision in their life. From watching TV FOR HOURS every day, to throwing it out the window completely, shows me that these people have no self control or any self monitoring skills.  They all need these absolute rules to have that small area in which to live. They really have done a number on their children. I'm so disappointed in Derick who had a different life experience.

• Love 13

Ok, maybe I'm talking crazy here, but instead of Derick "teaching" Bible Study with the translator, why not just eliminate the middleman and have the Spanish speaker teach the class himself? Kids already have short attention spans as it is, can you imagine sitting through a lecture where some grimy white guy babbles incoherently while the local says "just nod and smile and you'll get cookies." The whole set-up is so ass backwards. If Jill and Derelict can't communicate effectively, there's no point in them being there.

• Love 20

First of all Jill and Derick, your son is two years old. He is trying to gain his independence, has a lot of curiosity, and is trying to learn right from wrong. You are his parents and should be trying to help your son learn and grow to the best of his abilities, not try to control his human nature at the young age of two, or say he is manipulative (by the way, the two of them should take a long, hard look in the mirror before calling their son manipulative.) If you do not want him to grow up to be a spoiled, out of control, manipulative person (taking a look at the both of you,) then lead by example.

Second, why the heck are they asking for money for bibles. By the look at things, I do not think people are lining up around the block to listen to your brand of religion. You are not helping them by shoving your beliefs down their throats. Help build the educational system, get better health care in the areas where they live, help them have clean, safe water to drink and healthy food to eat. In otherwords, once again, lead by example.

2 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Enough with the frickin Churchspeak.  A bunch of little kids don't have fellowship, they play, run, scream and have fun.  

I think the photo shows 'fellowship' in their world. Sit in a chair and listen to me blather and you could get a candy. 

I think this mission is about their identity (smug and superior saviours), and an outright scam. Some of the money may flow to the people, but I would bet that amount is only after the Dillards have achieved a certain level of comfort and put away 'rainy day account'. There is no way to know how much of $20 is going to bibles. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Ok, maybe I'm talking crazy here, but instead of Derick "teaching" Bible Study with the translator, why not just eliminate the middleman and have the Spanish speaker teach the class himself? Kids already have short attention spans as it is, can you imagine sitting through a lecture where some grimy white guy babbles incoherently while the local says "just nod and smile and you'll get cookies." The whole set-up is so ass backwards. If Jill and Derelict can't communicate effectively, there's no point in them being there.

This makes a lot of sense, which means that since we're talking about the Duggars, yes, you're talking crazy. Don't you understand that the sounds emerging from Derick's blessed vocal cords are what truly inspire the brown heathens? (That reminds me of an anthropology class I took in college, focused on religion in Latin America. We watched this video put out by American missionaries, and one of the men was going on about how the presence of so many "white American Christians" was "inspiring" to the local population. In retrospect, my hatred and disdain of Christian fundamentalists and missionaries in general started at that exact moment. They may know better than to state things so baldly now, but you know that's exactly what they think.)

• Love 9
16 hours ago, doodlebug said:

If they are paid by SOS, it's not the 8 grand a month they're asking for.  I think they are asking for donations for their own 'ministry' so that they can have it for their own use.  If  they encouraged donations to SOS, the money wouldn't go directly to them; instead, TPTB at SOS would decide how to divvy it up.

I don't think they are employees of SOS.  Amongst other things, if they were, they probably wouldn't be able to solicit funds for themselves, only for the mission as a whole.  They also wouldn't be allowed to take unlimited vacation time and bop back to the US for months at a time.  They'd also probably have assigned duties every day; real missionaries do the grunt work like answering phones, handing out fliers and keeping the church clean and in good repair.  I think they get to stay in the SOS house for free in return for serving as tour guides for missioncationers a couple times a year and for mentioning SOS here and there and talking about working in El Salvador on TV.  They're sort of subcontractors, IMO. 

In June, 2015, Radar Online reported receiving this auto-response when it contacted Derick at his Walmart email address.

"I have recently accepted a position outside of Walmart and am no longer working for the company."

That indicates that he accepted a bona fide job, not that he was leaving to become a self-employed missionary.  The Dillards announced that they were leaving to be missionaries on a TLC preview of an unaired show in May, 2015.  (That was just before the Josh sexual molestations of his sisters hit the press on May 19.)  During that Spring, S.O.S. Ministries was raising money to build a house for new missionaries in Guatemala and the deadline for completion was June, 2015, when the new missionary couple was expected to live in it.

In January, 2016, S.O.S. Hope Ministries of Clearwater, FL, released this statement:

"It is SOS's privilege to introduce Derick and Jill Dillard to the Latin mission. They will come alongside Alex Lara, our Director of Missions for Latin America, to assist, preach, and engage the new regions. We have prepared, trained and now appointed them. Derick will focus on the men and young people, while Jill will focus on women and children ministry. Both of them will help with strengthening and encouraging married couples, which is mostly neglected in the Latin world, and they have already led a group from the church to a new region to preach the gospel…. To financially support their work and the work of many others in the Americas, Africa, and mid-Asia, visit SOSHope.org."

This clearly says that S.O.S. "prepared" and "trained" (Spanish lessons) Jill and Derick. Also, S.O.S. asked that money be sent to its organization to support the missionary work of Jill and Derick in Central America, not to the Dillard's directly.

The Dillards appear to be double-dipping in the fundraising department, and they are doing this with the help of Ma and Pa Duggar who are also asking people to send $$ to the Dillards' personal ministry organization, not to S.O.S.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Mollie said:

0 0 1 Derick.jpg

Gosh, our dumb Catholic church has a Youth Ministry in El Salvador with stuff like organized basketball and soccer games and art classes. Shows how dumb we are, we could've just dragged a bunch of pre-schoolers in and forced them to sit through a lecture on Jesus given by a guy, who, despite years of supposed training, still cannot speak Spanish well enough to forego a translator.  Oh, yeah, we do have religion classes which are optional and not geared to 4 year olds.  Any other 'preaching' is done by the priests, who are fluent in Spanish, even though they are from the US and who talk about issues of faith while shooting layups with the high schoolers.   Dumb, dumb Catholics.

ETA: I did attend a program for young kids, ages about 3-10, at one of our clinic sites.  The kids learned songs and dances, all in Spanish, some traditional kids' songs and some traditional religious kiddie songs (Spanish versions of stuff like 'Jesus loves me' and This Little Light', no blood or gore), played simple instruments like tambourines, wood blocks and maracas, and got lunch while they were there (sandwiches,  juice and fruit, as I recall).  No preaching though, thank God, Derrick is down there to rectify the situation.  NO singing for you!  NO dancing for you!  NO lunch for you!

I also worked as a medical volunteer in Kenya with a Christian organization that ran a school and an orphanage.  Those kids also participated in various youth ministry type stuff like working on traditional crafts (they all made masks from cardboard as part of a lesson about traditional tribal masks) and also learned traditional songs and dances of the local tribes.  They put on a little show for us using these skills.  Once again, a couple of Christian kid-type songs were included; but it was mainly the kids showing US who they were and what their country was like.  This organization was started by Protestants, but apparently not the 'right' kind since I spent a week staying on the grounds of the orphanage and school and never saw any preaching.  I did, however, see many, many missionaries playing with the kids, cuddling them, hugging them, laughing with them and otherwise treating them with love and affection.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15

The Dillards rely very heavily on the local Spanish speaking people to prop their faux mission. The locals are doing all the work, while Jill and Derick take the funds directly and take credit for the work. Why not have the donations go directly to the local people SOS? Why not offer housing to the lady comforting the women while Jill observed. Have the local people flown back and forth for bible study. Why? Because it's a hoax. IF, and I doubt this is true, but if they believe that saving souls is the goal, then having the local people on board is the most effective way. Local people are also more cost effective and would free up some funds to train more local god bothers increasing the impact on their mission. Instead SOS has virtue signal holidays packages that may leave a few dollars locally, but have no lasting impact on the peoples lives (if we go by the nail polish exploits of the Duggs recorded visits).

They didn't even buy the candy locally. 

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 8

I don't have children, but how in the hell can a two year old be manipulative?  How dare Israel tell his "Papi" he loves him (even if he is wanting something). I guess human nature, in Derick's eyes is another sin???   My dog can look at me with those "puppy dog eyes" and make me melt and depending on what I'm eating, she might get a bite.  Does that make her manipulative as well?

• Love 6
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Airlines let pregnant women fly until their last month.  Even then, United, at least, says that a woman in her last month can fly as long as she has a letter from her doctor written within 3 days of her first flight indicating she is in good health and able to fly. 

Thank you to @Doodlebug for setting me straight on this one. ;-) It sounds like Triple D believes the same fallacy, so we may see them back in the States sooner than we thought. LOL

1 minute ago, Missy Vixen said:

Thank you to @Doodlebug for setting me straight on this one. ;-) It sounds like Triple D believes the same fallacy, so we may see them back in the States sooner than we thought. LOL

Oh, even if they don't believe it, they will claim it in order to hightail it back to Arkansas ASAP.  They will be back months before Jill is due, probably within the next week or two since they're already making noise about it.

• Love 4
On 4/14/2017 at 9:58 AM, Christina87 said:

Jill is literally good at nothing, so she thinks having a "look at me" birth story is her best shot at an accomplishment!

There's also the side benefit of perpetual fame on TLC. You know they can't wait for one or all of the Duggar daughters to give birth to 10 or more kids; it's money in their pockets!

4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

We're so outraged at all the Duggars all the time but I expect we'd be shocked shocked shocked to learn how many other people are saying the exact same things. And saying it to applause because this kind of thing is construed as hewing to the true traditions and making Christianity great again. The Duggs and Duggar adjacents just happen to be saying it on public media that reaches a lot of people who aren't in their groups. So we have a tendency to blame them, in particular, and think they're some kind of unique jerks.

I grew up with it too, and it's all over the place. Gothard is so early 2000's; all the hip kids are Calvinists now. Example: The rise of "Calvinism", and the subsequent fall of many prominent pastors around the country due to their own hubris and belief in their infallibility. If anyone here is in need of some light reading, you might be interested in the series Seattle's The Stranger (newspaper) did on the rise and fall of Mars Hill Church and the biggest Calvinist of them all, Mark Driscoll. Their brand of crazy outstrips the Duggars. To say that I was very worried he would end up with a show on TLC after he left Seattle is an understatement.

I'll bet Bin has a poster of ol' Mark hanging in their bedroom.

Unfortunately for all of us, the Duggars latched onto TLC's bully pulpit. I'm not sure what will bring them down this time unless the ratings take a permanent nosedive.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ariel said:

What I don't understand is that many of the people they are trying to preach to are Catholics & probably own a bible or have access to one. 

But they don't have the RIGHT Bible.  The only TRUE Bible is the King James Bible because it was authorized by the RIGHT kind of Protestant.  Catholics would have Catholic Bibles which are heretical and will send anyone who reads it straight to hell.  I imagine that they actually try to trade their KJV for people's Catholic Bibles and that's at least a part of the reason why they're so hot to trot to hand out Bibles.  Nothing like a good Bible burnin' to show they love the Lord.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Ripley68 said:

I swear, someone had to have edited that for Jill - when has she ever used "thus" in a sentence before?

She sounds like she's trying to prove they are doing good work down there and answer our criticisms by pointing out all the times they are going out to interact with the people. What she just isn't getting is that our complaint is they aren't actually helping the people. They aren't building houses, upgrading utilities, showing useful skills - they're just speaking to them about their beliefs.  For them, that is the same thing because they are saving their souls.

I had reason to talk to a bunch of historians who specialize in religion recently and they told me that this is a big split that started back in the early 20th century when American Protestants split into a modernist and a fundie wing. Up until that point, there'd been a heavy emphasis on the talking and proselytizing part among pretty much all American Protestant missionaries, with just a side of some helping out that, again, they pretty much all did.

But then the Protestants who wanted to accept modernity realized that had to accept more tolerance, respect for people of all cultures, and even religious pluralism along with that. So what we've come to know as the more mainline Protestant churches switched their missions to mainly helping missions -- figuring that they really couldn't justify forcibly pushing their faith on others and that they should rely for conversion mostly on being kind and being a good example of their faith. Meanwhile, the fundie side pushed back hard against the expectation that they might accept religious pluralism and went all in on the talk-ministry side.

(I gather that Catholics who, let's face it, in the very olden days used to kill people for refusing to convert, mostly went with their social-justice leanings on this one and started emulating those once-despised-for-being-tolerant Jesuit missionaries, being, you know, nice to the people they worked among.)

And it still stands that way today. Really has hardly changed at all, since the fundie side is mostly just as opposed to modernist pluralism and tolerance as they ever were -- if not more so as more and more of American, including more churches, have gone that way over the years. The two different ways of doing missions are just baked completely into the underlying belief systems of the two groups and as the fundie group feels more and more threatened by encroaching modernism in so many ways, all they're likely to do is fight back harder against people calling for helper-type missions.

In their minds, carrying out such a mission would mean accepting that it's okay if the people they're ministering to never gave up their old beliefs and started worshiping the correct Jesus. And since their whole worldview is based on saying that nothing at all is true or valuable or good except for things based on faith in that correct Jesus, they just can't accept that you might go on a mission and basically leave it entirely up to the people ministered to whether they switch religious allegiances or not. I'm sure they think that a laissez faire mission in which all you do is build a hospital without jawboning people about the correct Jesus all day is an idea only the devil would come up with.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8

"Right kind of Bible"?  Really?  Actually I was surprised to learn that there *are* differences between Catholic and Protestant Bibles.  The Tanakh, aka The Jewish Holy Scriptures [NOT The Old Testament] comes in one version, whether Orthodox, Conservative, Reconstructionist, or Reform.    Have any of these Duggar dillweeds ever been in a synagogue?

• Love 2

I seriously doubt any Duggar has ever or will ever enter a synagogue.  I expect that they would fear being struck down by lightening at a minimum. 

My fundie neighbor would not even go to the funeral home much less the funeral for our Mormon neighbor for fear of Mormonism being "ketchy" or being a "bad witness."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

But they don't have the RIGHT Bible.  The only TRUE Bible is the King James Bible because it was authorized by the RIGHT kind of Protestant.  Catholics would have Catholic Bibles which are heretical and will send anyone who reads it straight to hell.  I imagine that they actually try to trade their KJV for people's Catholic Bibles and that's at least a part of the reason why they're so hot to trot to hand out Bibles.  Nothing like a good Bible burnin' to show they love the Lord.

Big problem:  The King James Version wasn't written in Spanish!

• Love 3
On 4/19/2017 at 2:16 PM, louannems said:

Derick describing Izzy manipulating him reminded me of a conversation I had yesterday with my headship regarding our kitten Pippi.  While she can't use her words, she gets all lovey and rubby when she wants food/lovies.  I tend to give in while the headship has earned his name/title.  Guess its a good thing I am not in charge.  HA!

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, EAG46 said:

"Right kind of Bible"?  Really?  Actually I was surprised to learn that there *are* differences between Catholic and Protestant Bibles.  The Tanakh, aka The Jewish Holy Scriptures [NOT The Old Testament] comes in one version, whether Orthodox, Conservative, Reconstructionist, or Reform.    Have any of these Duggar dillweeds ever been in a synagogue?

That's only true if you are looking at the Hebrew/Aramaic text.  English translations used by Jews come in many different versions.

• Love 3