Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, CofCinci said:

I doubt they're bummed. They get to vacation full-time under the guise of "mission work."  Derick never wanted to be thr 40-hour work week type and Jill is sheltered enough to actually believe she's helping the people in Danger America.  Further, she is patient enough to believe that if she waits long enough and prays for it, she'll get what she wants. After all, God sent her Derick.  

SOS is a joke. They make money off of ignorant Fundies who want their provide their teens and young adults a week of vacation-work in Danger America without the risk of them fucking any locals or fellow vacationers. The only construction work being done by SOS is to make the lives of SOS personnel more comfortable.  I'm sure the same 10 locals are being read the same passages week after week -- having the same come-to-Jesus moment for each batch of missioncationers. 

Bingo. The same group of local people gets "converted" each week. Brilliant. It's just like those guided trips to remote places where people in isolated villages break into spontaneous song and dance to share their culture to the visitors. I've had this experience a couple of times, many years ago, in Not Danger Asia. Fun for the visitor, but very much planned and paid for. 

• Love 3

I used to go to a dentist who went on mission trips every year. He has since retired and sadly passed away.  He was one of the kindest and most genuine souls I'd ever met. I told him that I thought what he was doing was awesome because he was making a difference in the lives of others.

He told me that it was a lot of long days and lots of work because the kids had TERRIBLE teeth.  I asked him how so, expecting to hear poverty or bad dentistry, and his answer was that most of the kids he saw there seemed to get enough to eat somehow, but they were obsessed with getting their hands on candy as well as sodas and they were sucking on and chewing candy nonstop and rotting their teeth out. No doubt we have all these groups that hand out candy to these kids who think they're doing them some huge favor.

Most of the regional sweets and sodas I've tried in Mexico and Puerto Rico are far sweeter than anything we get here or in Europe or Canada ...cloyingly so. My husband drinks his coffee black now because he said he used to use 5 spoons of sugar in milk coffee (ew....)...until his mom got diabetes. My family is from the UK and we love us our high tea spreads, but one or 2 sugar cubes was enough for me ever in tea or coffee and our cakes and jams and sweets weren't overly sweet, and neither are sweets and pastries from Europe. 

Giving kids all this candy isn't good for their health, but no doubt these kids have their hustle on by being cute and hitting up more than one group....like the always mewing neighborhood cat that eats at home plus 6 houses. Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge a child the joy of a few sweeties here and there, and I'm not sure how handing out broccoli helps attract kids to missionaries either.  I just hope they actually  hand out nourishing food and vitamins to families who need to supplement their diets, but I guess DumDums and Cracker Jack quality toys just make such a difference....

i guess when you have a nonprofit mission, er...travel agency and hostels to run...you can't cut too deeply into the profits of your nonprofit. 

• Love 3

A church I attended briefly after college was all about missioncations. I had no idea what that meant at the time. I thought it was wonderful until I went on a trip myself to an area in Mexico that basically the whole town lived off missioncationers. I don't remember the name of the parent organization in the US that organized t all. Every block had one or two small, one room churches that some group had come to stay for a week and build, paint, furnish, then host a bible school and revival, then pretty much abandon. Locals in the neighborhood pretty much sent their kids all summer to whatever bible school was being hosted, because they knew the kids would get fed, clothed, watched, etc while the parents worked in factories or crossed the border to the US for day labor.

you could always find people waiting with some sort of story about needing money for this and that, and it always worked. I don't blame the locals for asking. It was a very poor area and maybe they prayed God would send them an American or Canadian with cash and guilt, so they could pay for their kids tuition or a new water tank or whatever. 

My point is, Jill and Derrick truly think they are saving the world and doing nothing wrong, while they're basically trying to reinvent the wheel - all on donations and love offerings from people who actually work. Now if some of the local people benefit from English lessons, toys, clothing, medical care, etc., good for them. Other than that, I can't see Jill and Derrick doing anything useful except hanging out in someone else's dime.

• Love 4
(edited)

It sounds odd, but I am 100%, well maybe 95% okay with the Dullards faux-mission. It would be nice if they were involved with an organization that puts humanitarian aid first and conversions second (or third, or fiftieth), but that isn't how Gothard and Co roll. Haven't we seen some 'sermons' from either Derrick or Ben about how earthly things, like food, education and clean water are mere vanities compared to the immortal soul (unless you're a Duggar, then trips to Asia, Europe, Isreal, Starbucks and raccoon-eyed make-up are all about Jesus)? I shudder to think what might happen if they were actually converting people because this super legalistic approach to Christianity is just so toxic (and I believe makes the baby Jesus cry, but that's just me). 

I guess the way I see it is, the current SOS set up is pretty much win-win (unless you want long term change, of course). Derrick, Jill and Giant Baby get to live their hippy life that they'd never be allowed to have in Arkansas. The missioncationers get to come into a rather nice set up, avoid the mental stretch that comes from seeing real needs in the world, spend a few days on the beach, feel good about helping (with nail polish) and hang-out with other young people outside the scary worlds of Alert and JTTH. The locals get candy and child care in return for being bored by earnest Americans speaking mangled Spanish and last but not least the head honchos at SOS get a tidy chunk of change. 

Bottom line for me, the Dullards aren't doing anything to really help, but they also don't seem to be causing any harm. Therefore flail on with your hippy self, Dancing Derrick!

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 3
(edited)

But they can cause harm.  And not just in the abstract that they impose a patronizing view on local culture and pretty much put the local populace in a 'you are down here and we are up here' kind of way.  They take up room.  That sounds odd. but talking to my sister, who works in the Antigua area missioncations take up facilities.   Pure and simple.  Many of them have a financial impetus to keep others out of their little stomping grounds.  Two villages that were slated for a group to come in and set up feeding and care centers for the elderly (there is a real problem there with elderly who have no families simply starving because they have no resources) were told another group had come in and was taking care of it.  That group was then approached the next time and begged to come in because the imposing group did nothing but build a little open pavilion and put up lots of pretty posters of their faith.   That is it.  It sounds slight but in areas like this if you are not helping in ways that truly alleviates the problems and not just a candy patch for a second and a prayer to check off the box about being on a mission?  You are in the way.  You are taking up local resources often in terms of group lodging that another group could have that does something.  You are taking up transport in the same way.  There are thankfully a lot of small groups -- many of them Christian affiliated this heathen is more than willing to admit, that address issues.  They work to maintain proper water and sewage, work on infrastructure like small bridges or water pumps, wells, etc.  They give huge amounts of health care otherwise never seen.  ca

So while these two knucklewits might not be doing harm.  It is a might.  Doing nothing quite visibly and actively in an area of need can do harm in my opinion.  The locals in need most likely would get just as much 'no harm' if these two were viewing the area via googlearth at the nearest Starbucks to the Duggar compound. 

Oh and nothing says romance and true love like a carefully posed engagement photo.  I wonder how many times they had that third person take the pic to get it just right. 

Edited by tenativelyyours
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

A church I attended briefly after college was all about missioncations. I had no idea what that meant at the time. I thought it was wonderful until I went on a trip myself to an area in Mexico that basically the whole town lived off missioncationers. I don't remember the name of the parent organization in the US that organized t all. Every block had one or two small, one room churches that some group had come to stay for a week and build, paint, furnish, then host a bible school and revival, then pretty much abandon. Locals in the neighborhood pretty much sent their kids all summer to whatever bible school was being hosted, because they knew the kids would get fed, clothed, watched, etc while the parents worked in factories or crossed the border to the US for day labor.

you could always find people waiting with some sort of story about needing money for this and that, and it always worked. I don't blame the locals for asking. It was a very poor area and maybe they prayed God would send them an American or Canadian with cash and guilt, so they could pay for their kids tuition or a new water tank or whatever. 

My point is, Jill and Derrick truly think they are saving the world and doing nothing wrong, while they're basically trying to reinvent the wheel - all on donations and love offerings from people who actually work. Now if some of the local people benefit from English lessons, toys, clothing, medical care, etc., good for them. Other than that, I can't see Jill and Derrick doing anything useful except hanging out in someone else's dime.

If this is the same for the Dullard's "mission", and it sounds like it is, at least they are in some small way being inadvertently helpful.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Aja said:

If this is the same for the Dullard's "mission", and it sounds like it is, at least they are in some small way being inadvertently helpful.

I guess for the parents to know that these groups provide some sort of day care, at least one or two hot meals, and give busy moms  a little peace and quiet in the summer...has to be somewhat reassuring. With all the drugs and crime there,  SOS might keep some of the kids off the streets, where they could get hurt or recruited by gangs.

• Love 2
On July 13, 2016 at 7:27 PM, Fuzzysox said:

For a moment I thought Izzy was about to grab Jill's birthcontrol on the left but when I blew the picture up it's just paper. Drats! 

Lol!!!  I thought the same thing!

question though...why are the bananas pushed waaaaay to the back of the counter and the power cords (cell phone chargers?) are right there where Izzy can reach them?  Seems backwards to me.  

• Love 2
On July 13, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Everything is a damn photo op for them, but at least we can see how they disregard caution  at just about every possible opportunity. 

Jill wouldn't know any differently.  Most of her life (good and bad) has been lived for the camera.  Same for her brothers and sisters.  Even emergent situations are fodder for the cameras (remember the fall into the trap door at one of the Bates' weddings?  Michelle was too occupied with getting it on film for TLC than actually being a mother.  So that is Jill's frame of reference.  She has nothing else to compare to.  "Awwww look how PRECIOUS!!!  Random J child is climbing on the stairs on the wrong side of the railing!  Ops, they fell!  Quick, grab my phone, I need to record this!!!!!!!!"

I wonder how they are faring without the camera crew these days?  They were the ones who were the voice of reason and general safe keepers for this crew...

• Love 3
On July 14, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Churchhoney said:

Well, when you think of all the times she saw kids sleeping the night on the stairs, getting their heads stuck in banisters while adults sat obliviously in the TTH lobby not caring, running on kitchen counters, being molested and having the only parental response be to ban hide-and-seek games, falling into orchestra pits only to be used as photo ops, getting lost while going to airport bathrooms on their own (at, what, age 5 or even younger), I'm thinking Jill comes by her very skewed view of child care and child dangers pretty naturally. And remember that she learned it from a multiple Mother-of-the-Year award winner and two of God's totally chosen role models for the planet! She and they must be correct!

Apologies to Churchhoney...I posted my hypothesis before I read yours.  Great minds think alike!

• Love 1

After I saw one of the Howler Monkeys fall into the orchestra pit, it's not hard to understand why or how Muffy is the way she is. I'm all for letting kids be kids, but some of the things I see Izzy and the Lost Girls and Howlers do makes me feel a twinge in my ovaries!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

After I saw one of the Howler Monkeys fall into the orchestra pit, it's not hard to understand why or how Muffy is the way she is. I'm all for letting kids be kids, but some of the things I see Izzy and the Lost Girls and Howlers do makes me feel a twinge in my ovaries!

Amen to THAT.  I was one of those over-conscious parents, there to catch my kids when they climbed the monkey bars or climbed the slide the wrong way (up the down part).  I let them do it but under supervision.  Half of the stuff these kids do..even my teenager said "OMG MOM!!!  What the hell!  Someone is gonna get hurt BADLY!  Where are their PARENTS???"

I'm really scared for the kids with the playhouse.  That is REALLY high up and the railing is too tempting a climb for the young, unsupervised monkey children.  

16 hours ago, Thorkim said:

OMG Derrick looks scary as hell here.

His poor teeth!  They look like they are being held in his mouth (loosely) by his braces!  I've known folks who have had similar surgeries and none have come out looking like that.  Even during the healing process.  

I wonder who is tightening his braces? Wouldn't they need to be tightened monthly?  Or maybe they aren't being tended to as required, resulting in his twisted appearance?  

Poor Derek.  Really.  I feel badly for him.  I doubt this was necessary surgery and that he was duped into doing it.  His mouth was fine before!

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

His poor teeth!  They look like they are being held in his mouth (loosely) by his braces!  I've known folks who have had similar surgeries and none have come out looking like that.  Even during the healing process.  

I wonder who is tightening his braces? Wouldn't they need to be tightened monthly?  Or maybe they aren't being tended to as required, resulting in his twisted appearance?  

Poor Derek.  Really.  I feel badly for him.  I doubt this was necessary surgery and that he was duped into doing it.  His mouth was fine before!

That's a lot of suffering for an uncertain outcome.  Poor Derick I hope he didn't have to go through all of this for nothing.  

• Love 1

So Cathy can't even keep her promise to leave twitter. She's already RT three things since the 11th. Really there's no hope for these super religious types of all faiths. They can't get out of their bubble to see the wider world no matter where they travel or how much access to technology they have.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, maraleia said:

So Cathy can't even keep her promise to leave twitter. She's already RT three things since the 11th. Really there's no hope for these super religious types of all faiths. They can't get out of their bubble to see the wider world no matter where they travel or how much access to technology they have.

Unf, these are people who love hearing themselves talk and believe they are always right. No doubt, Jesus has smacked his head more than once with this family.  

• Love 2

Translated, their post reads: Visit our website and "give" so that Derick's vacation never ends. Corporate Wal-Mart was so mean to Derick. They wouldn't let him interpretive dance in the break room and expected him to work 40 hours a week. 

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jesus Tapdancing Christ, Derick. We KNOW you're coming back.  You BLOGGED about it like 3 days ago. Knock it off. Oh right...attention whore. 

In all seriousness, I'm truly worried about Derick.  I looked at an old pic of him from his pre-Danger America days and compared it to this pic.  Omg they look like pics of two different men!  I'm truly hopeful that he can get back on his feet when they return stateside.  He looks emaciated and tired.  The timing for his surgery with Jill's delivery date and their mission cation was not good.

Derick's teeth look worse every month or so.  I hope he goes to a fully qualified orthodontist while they're back in the US.  Not that they don't have orthodontists in CA, but he doesn't appear to have been getting regular care.

(edited)

Looks like they're in the back of a truck it and yes, I had to look twice to figure out that those were his knobby ass knees. 

@CofCinci hit the nail on the head. I guess their blog post didn't receive enough hits to buy Izzy more diaper boxes to play in. I'm glad one person takes one for the team, so I don't have to give them one red cent on that monetized blog. 

In the future, the person who brings us their scintillating updates should just copy and paste so no one is actually tempted to give them hits. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
Because Absolom's post wasn't there, and I was answering the one above it
  • Love 2
On 3/31/2014 at 9:30 AM, floridamom said:

My brains are going to explode!! Did y'all see the video of Jill's "boyfriend"? Finally admitted to... Just can't believe that JimBob wants his sons-in-law to be his boyfriends first!! There is something quite wrong with that guy. There is no way that real, true love is realized between two people who have never met in person or spent any time together...alone. Jill and Jessa are so "first crush" infatuated, like 13 year old girls, so quite obvious to this old lady. Their own parents don't know the difference. How can they justify listening in on conversations via SKYPE! It is utterly intrusive. You can see how uncomfortable Jill is with the whole thing. they marry off child/girls who are 20 something years old. When these girls start to court, there really is no alternative.

Wow, the site took me to page 1 of this thread, created right after Jill's courtship was announced (of course we now know she was already engaged by then). Looking back, this person had Derelict pegged from Day One. 

Also, over two years and two courtships later, nothing's changed.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

I think it's there, a bit of white shirt peeking out from her left.

My, those two have a lot of big teeth between them. 

If these two are any indication, Izzy's orthodontist will have a beach house in Belize by the time he's done with that kid.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Wow, the site took me to page 1 of this thread, created right after Jill's courtship was announced (of course we now know she was already engaged by then). Looking back, this person had Derelict pegged from Day One. 

Also, over two years and two courtships later, nothing's changed.

I keep getting taken to page 1 of some threads also. Not sure what is going on.

On 7/15/2016 at 7:22 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Uhm, Arwen, I said all that about Giant Baby Dullard about two posts above yours. :p

Speaking of Dullards, I thought I'd throw this one in this thread. Looks like baby bro has been roadtripping in CA with his ladylove and WITHOUT chaperones. Don't tell me they have been sleeping in separate rooms! Ooooohhhh.....

I am REALLY bugged these people are in my home county (grew up 13 miles north of Cayucos).  Its weird enough without them but WITH them, no bueno.  Is nowhere safe????

1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

I am REALLY bugged these people are in my home county (grew up 13 miles north of Cayucos).  Its weird enough without them but WITH them, no bueno.  Is nowhere safe????

Well, there are a lot of them. Getting to be almost enough Duggars and Duggar-adjacents to supply one for each state at this point. Which I guess is what God intends, right?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, there are a lot of them. Getting to be almost enough Duggars and Duggar-adjacents to supply one for each state at this point. Which I guess is what God intends, right?

Luckily I live in one of the most liberal places that may make it undesirable to them.  I can just imagine them at our Solstice Parade :).  If you hear thundering screams of Nike next June you know where they are.  

I don't want to be Duggar adjacent!  Don't make me!!!!  If I have to please don't let it be Josie.  I don't have enough antibacterial spray to clean all the surfaces she licked.  And my cats will be really pissed to see they have to share counter space with her.  Although I have a feeling it would be easier to get the kitties down.

• Love 3
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

19 kids, plus Jim Bob and Michelle, plus a mother and father-in-law for each Duggar, and that's 40.  Add in children and sister/brothers in law and there would be more than enough people to have one in each state, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, etc.  They could eventually send them out two by two to each state/territory in the Union.  And beyond.  Isn't that the whole reason for having so many kids?  Creating soldiers for Christ?  I'm all for missionaries who help people.  But these folks seem to be hell-bent on world domination through numbers.  

Edited by Lady Edith
Cause I had another thought...
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

19 kids, plus Jim Bob and Michelle, plus a mother and father-in-law for each Duggar, and that's 40.  Add in children and sister/brothers in law and there would be more than enough people to have one in each state, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, etc.  They could eventually send them out two by two to each state/territory in the Union.  And beyond.  Isn't that the whole reason for having so many kids?  Creating soldiers for Christ?  I'm all for missionaries who help people.  But these folks seem to be hell-bent on world domination through numbers.  

Almost sounds like you are describing cockroaches or ants.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I find it does that to me on the last of the pages with new posts on them.

I am normally taken to the last post, but since the last "fix," it does sometimes send me to the beginning of threads even though I haven't done anything different. No biggie, I just go to the last page button, but then I have to find my place there. No biggie, since I found that most prescient post. 

2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

NO! He proposed in Carmel, which is where we honeymooned (saved our money for more practical things). In my defense, we were in a condo on the beach, so we weren't TOTALLY slumming it! LOL

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I don't want to be Duggar adjacent!  Don't make me!!!!  If I have to please don't let it be Josie.  I don't have enough antibacterial spray to clean all the surfaces she licked.  And my cats will be really pissed to see they have to share counter space with her.  Although I have a feeling it would be easier to get the kitties down.

You don't think you can just spray Josie with water to get her off the counter? I guess you'd have to give a sh*t to do that and clearly the Duggars don't.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

You don't think you can just spray Josie with water to get her off the counter? I guess you'd have to give a sh*t to do that and clearly the Duggars don't.

Oh, but the visual made me giggle! Scat, Josie!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Luckily I live in one of the most liberal places that may make it undesirable to them.  I can just imagine them at our Solstice Parade :).  If you hear thundering screams of Nike next June you know where they are.  

Seattle, by any chance? Nude bicyclists is the Solstice Parade!

i use a squirt gun to get my most stubborn cat off the counters. The Dugs may wish to try that with their kids. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Seattle, by any chance? Nude bicyclists is the Solstice Parade!

i use a squirt gun to get my most stubborn cat off the counters. The Dugs may wish to try that with their kids. 

Nah, that takes effort...and they would have to clean up more mess.

Cats on the countertops are likely more sanitary than when Grossie Josie has been there!

• Love 1
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Nah, that takes effort...and they would have to clean up more mess.

Cats on the countertops are likely more sanitary than when Grossie Josi

Re: mess, are you referring to water on counters or nudes on bicycle seats...? LOL

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2