Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Now she'll have earlier incidents of media 'victimization' to point to.

It's straight-up hell when donors and the IRS want proof of what one did with funds collected from a 501c3 non-profit.

Oh, the humanity.

;-)

• Love 6

What kills me about this whole thing is, as though Josh's scandal wasn't enough, in the midst of the whole thing, Jill and Derrick made the decision to run some kind of missionary scam. This family's audacity is astounding.

They really are the gift that keeps on giving, aren't they? :-)

• Love 7

This Dillard charity scam actually makes me really sad.  I could name 20 charities off the top of my head that would have been able to put those donations to good use yet they have gone to pay for Jill and Derrick to fly around farting on about their godliness.

Just for perspective, I worked out that it would have been (at an absolute minimum) $3800 just for Derrick and Jill to fly there and back, twice.  I'm not saying that they got this much money from their donors but if they did, it honestly just makes me sad.  It costs $25 to immunise a child and $120 to train a teacher but the Dillards have spent their "missionary" money on themselves and their expensive travel.  

I used to like Derrick when he first came on the scene but between this, Catgate and the 0.2 seconds it took Jill to get pregnant, that is basically gone.  It also seriously pisses me off that Derrick worked in Nepal on a student visa.  I don't usually care about visa issues but a Westerner illegally working in a third world country and taking jobs that could be done by locals frustrates me.  You know what would have been good for Nepal?  Training locals to lead and organise tours rather than having a well-off American do it.  

• Love 14

Just for perspective, I worked out that it would have been (at an absolute minimum) $3800 just for Derrick and Jill to fly there and back, twice.

Including bringing Joy (and Carlin Bates)? I mean WTF was she (Joy) doing on their missionary trip, anyway? Babysitting? Did Jim Bob pay for that, or the donors?

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 6

Including bringing Joy (and Carlin Bates)? I mean WTF was she (Joy) doing on their missionary trip, anyway? Babysitting? Did Jim Bob pay for that, or the donors?

If I were a donor, I would be asking just that!

Or think of all of the food that money could have bought.  Or seeds to grow more food.  A goat.  A cow.  Some pigs.  Any type of animal to help them out.

• Love 5

Well, doing stuff that your visa doesn't allow is certainly illegal. But it's not clear that they're actually doing that at present. And the countries they may have done it in certainly have much better uses for their administrative time than chasing down these two-bit losers. .... When it comes to the money -- I guess you can pretty much ask anybody you want for cash, and if they give it to you it's their problem, right? ... There might be some tax issues regrading the non-profit. But they can say there that the money goes to support the missionaries -- and if you're running a missionary non-profit, I think that would pass muster, don't you think? The IRS isn't going to go around trying to figure out which "mission" work it should and should not deem acceptable. ....

So my guess is -- All they're losing is their reputations. ... Of course, their reputations were all they had.

Exactly. Losing his reputation will shut down the whole show for Boob. Plus, unless a donor sues or something similar, I can't actually see the criminal justice system bothering to "go after" the Duggars, and to be very honest, I don't care if they do. What I want is to see people open their eyes about the Duggars and see past all Boob & Me-chelle's lies, laziness and personal insecurities. Mainly I want them to see kids who are being - IMO - criminally-undereducated, women that are being [at best] emotionally abused, and adult children who are being manipulated into becoming their parents' staff at the incredible age of 8 or so. 

• Love 8

That certainly goes along with what I have said in the past:  I think have 4 kids before you are 30, with the potential for A LOT more, has overwhelmed Joshy.  He wants sex.  He enjoys sex.  He doesn't want more kids.  But daddy has told him that is sinful.  Bull crap that Joshy can make up his own mind.  Joshy wants dad's love and the spotlight.  I really do hope, that somewhere within this counseling he is supposedly receiving, he can tell the truth without anyone condemning him.  Then, maybe, healing can begin.

Edited by barbedwire
  • Love 6

This is what confuses me. If they need the sponsorship of a church for visa purposes, doesn't Jim Bob own one?

Short answer: No.

Longer version: Jim Bob wasn't a minister as part of an official denomination and never incorporated his loose gathering of "like minded" people who met (by invitation) in whatever space JB provided. 

• Love 3

I want to add that to my own resumé... Derick isn't the only one capable of thought. I can make decisions, too!

ETA: You will notice that it doesn't characterize his decision-making ability as being prudent or responsible or some other nice adjective. He can just make a decision. 

I've seen eleventy MILLION resumes in my time. I'd love to see Derick's. Something tells me it would leave me smiling...  

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2

Work visas are generally for paid work, so what he did in Nepal is probably okay as long as he was studying.

Most foreigners with the US F-1 student visas are allowed to work inside the US at a campus-based job only and - IIRC - for a limited number of hours each week. They are not allowed to work off-campus at all. Student spouses, who I think are the F-2 visa, are not allowed to work at all. Obviously, the stipulations in other countries could and likely are different.

• Love 1

Hadn't he already graduated? Not sure of the timeline on that, but if so, that's a damn liberal student visa.

His student visa was to study the Nepali language, just like he was studying Spanish in Guatemala.  In Nepal, you have to actually show up for classes and they kick you out of the country if you are on a student visa and miss classes. 

I assume because Nepal has long been such an adventure-travel/hippie-travel/voluntourism/, etc., destination, Nepal appears to have given birth to a lot of, shall we say, rather casual educational institutions that provide you with a credential that will get you a "study visa." You have to attend classes but not be a full-time student, basically. So Derick could easily have attended one of these schools, because it seems that a lot of people do. In addition, there is something called a "research" visa that can also provide an extension to your tourist visa. Officially, you're not allowed to work under a student or research visa, it appears, but work visas are really hard to get so lots of people are working under the other kinds of visas anyway, according to four interesting blog posts about visas on this website.

"Work visas for foreigners are somewhat rare here in Nepal, largely because the rules for granting one create a very high and difficult barrier for employers and employees. For this reason, many thousands of foreigners working in Nepal (most commonly with aid organizations) are doing so under student visas or research visas."

So Derick was breaking the law by working but tons of other people are doing it, too, and the aid organizations that don't want to staff up with locals obviously ignore and probably even encourage the practice.  Maybe that could also explain why he doesn't list an employer on the LInkedIn -- because by employing people without work visas the organizations are breaking the law.

http://thekathmanduo.blogspot.com/2011/08/like-whoa-nepal-visa-woes-part-1.html

http://thekathmanduo.blogspot.com/2011/09/how-to-get-student-visa-in-nepal.html

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

This Dillard charity scam actually makes me really sad. I could name 20 charities off the top of my head that would have been able to put those donations to good use yet they have gone to pay for Jill and Derrick to fly around farting on about their godliness.

Just for perspective, I worked out that it would have been (at an absolute minimum) $3800 just for Derrick and Jill to fly there and back, twice. I'm not saying that they got this much money from their donors but if they did, it honestly just makes me sad. It costs $25 to immunise a child and $120 to train a teacher but the Dillards have spent their "missionary" money on themselves and their expensive travel.

I used to like Derrick when he first came on the scene but between this, Catgate and the 0.2 seconds it took Jill to get pregnant, that is basically gone. It also seriously pisses me off that Derrick worked in Nepal on a student visa. I don't usually care about visa issues but a Westerner illegally working in a third world country and taking jobs that could be done by locals frustrates me. You know what would have been good for Nepal? Training locals to lead and organise tours rather than having a well-off American do it.

For a trip from Fayetteville to San Salvador (via Chicago) on 1st Dec and returning two weeks later, Priceline gave me a price of approx $1,100 for two adults and one lap child.

Derick and Jill's "missions" are also ultimately beneficial to the local economies. It's highly unlikely they're taking employment from locals, because those locals work for a pittance, and Jill/Derick lack the skills to do anything but volunteer to assist fellow missiontourists. Derick probably would have had access to funds from his yuppie professional mother and the life insurance she would've received when Derick's father/her husband died, to support his extended stay in Nepal.

Edited by Kokapetl

@Julia and @Churchhoney @Suz at Large

Jim Bob never registered the home church as a non-profit.  They used to have services in the home when they lived in the Johnson St. house – the house where Josh's molestation of his sisters took place.  As many as 100 people would show up, mostly from their Gothard homeschooling crowd.  That house was right next door to Cross Church's Springdale location.  They ended up selling that house to Cross Church, it was torn down, and is now a parking lot and a sports field for the church.  This was back in the days when the girls wore prairie dresses and I guess the Duggar parents felt the crowd at Cross Church wasn't good enough/pure enough for them.

When TLC came along in 2003/2004, they started building the Tontitown home and built it with a professional sound system because Jim Bob wanted to run his (Gothard's) Financial Freedom seminars there.  When TLC proved to be an ongoing source of income, Jim Bob scratched that idea, but the home church continued.  That's how Ben met Jessa.  He happened to be driving by (after a four-hour journey from Hot Springs) and showed up at their home church one Sunday morning.

Over the past year or two, people quit coming and the Duggars needed a place for two daughters' weddings, so they re-affiliated with Cross Church.  That church was actually the one Jim Bob grew up in and his mother Mary always went there.

Although anyone can start a church in the U.S., in order to get a religious worker visa in Guatemala (which is where I think the Dillards are headed), it's much more complicated, especially if you are not a Catholic.  This is part of the procedure.  The site is in Spanish, but you can use Google translate: 

http://www.migracion.gob.gt/index.php/servicios/extranjeros/residentes-permanentes-religiosos.html

guatemala_religious_visa.png

And, that's not all.  They also have to have a financial guarantor in Guatemala.

• Love 4

I assume because Nepal has long been such an adventure-travel/hippie-travel/voluntourism/, etc., destination, Nepal appears to have given birth to a lot of, shall we say, rather casual educational institutions that provide you with a credential that will get you a "study visa." You have to attend classes but not be a full-time student, basically. So Derick could easily have attended one of these schools, because it seems that a lot of people do. In addition, there is something called a "research" visa that can also provide an extension to your tourist visa. Officially, you're not allowed to work under a student or research visa, it appears, but work visas are really hard to get so lots of people are working under the other kinds of visas anyway, according to four interesting blog posts about visas on this website.

"Work visas for foreigners are somewhat rare here in Nepal, largely because the rules for granting one create a very high and difficult barrier for employers and employees. For this reason, many thousands of foreigners working in Nepal (most commonly with aid organizations) are doing so under student visas or research visas."

So Derick was breaking the law by working but tons of other people are doing it, too, and the aid organizations that don't want to staff up with locals obviously ignore and probably even encourage the practice.  Maybe that could also explain why he doesn't list an employer on the LInkedIn -- because by employing people without work visas the organizations are breaking the law.

http://thekathmanduo.blogspot.com/2011/08/like-whoa-nepal-visa-woes-part-1.html

http://thekathmanduo.blogspot.com/2011/09/how-to-get-student-visa-in-nepal.html

The question remains: Does the SBC condone this? Did Derick go with Cross Church's blessing (he grew up at the Rogers location; Miss Cathy is also a member there)? Did he go on his own? Who paid HIS overhead while he was there if he didn't work for a salary? 

In my mind, he HAD to be sponsored by Cross Church (SBC) if he had to go on the student visa to circumvent Nepal's work visa regulations. I would assume that the SBC knows of this problem ahead of time? Then again, Derick  was obviously not there as an official missionary, since his education was lacking. If the SBC didn't pay his expenses for two years' overseas, who did? Did he really have that much savings set by?

eta: As for the rest of the Duggars, they only do Cross Church for special occasions. Didn't they also use the Springdale one to eulogize Jubilee? 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

The question remains: Does the SBC condone this? Did Derick go with Cross Church's blessing (he grew up at the Rogers location; Miss Cathy is also a member there)? Did he go on his own? Who paid HIS overhead while he was there if he didn't work for a salary? 

In my mind, he HAD to be sponsored by Cross Church (SBC) if he had to go on the student visa to circumvent Nepal's work visa regulations. I would assume that the SBC knows of this problem ahead of time? Then again, Derick  was obviously not there as an official missionary, since his education was lacking. If the SBC didn't pay his expenses for two years' overseas, who did? Did he really have that much savings set by?

eta: As for the rest of the Duggars, they only do Cross Church for special occasions. Didn't they also use the Springdale one to eulogize Jubilee? 

Yeah, the question of who the sponsor/employer was is definitely the one still hanging out there. The fact that he mentioned none in his LInkedIn entry suggests to me that the employer doesn't want to be named because of visa issues, which are probably fudged for most everybody who works for it -- whatever it is. But who knows, I guess.

As for the money -- maybe he worked some crappy job in the year between college and Nepal and was able to use that in combination with money from his family? There is still that unknown year in there with no jobs that anybody is reporting. Maybe he worked in fast food or something just to raise money without getting entangled in any kind of career job because he knew he intended to go to Nepal the next year?

And maybe they accept some people just as general factotums who observe the missionary work but aren't yet on the track because they don't have the right education to start the real program? That's probably also something that no U.S. group would admit, because they should probably be hiring locals to do the non-mission-related work.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

I was imagining their decisions going more like this:

Scandal #1 hits - "Derick come home, I need you, they are saying bad things about me". Derick comes home. "Oh Derick, I can't do this alone, I need you". After much prayer they thought, I mean, God laid it in their hearts to do the missionary thing now. And like two young kids setting up a club with a secret password they became The Dillard Family Ministry. Then a big oops fell into their heads, And Jill said, "Oh dear, money, how is our family, er ministry going to survive without money?" "I know, lets call daddy".

Yes. Sometimes at events whenever I put the head on, I’m not Derick

Dillard anymore. I’m Pistol Pete.

A lot of my friends have noticed that

too because I’ll be talking to them

afterwards and they’ll say that.

I’m not a shy person, but I’m more

reserved when I’m just myself. On

ce I put the head on, I take being

Pistol Pete seriously, and I’ll

go out there in front of 60,000-80,000

people. I’m not worried about it becaus

e they see Pistol Pete, not me. So,

maybe the first time I was a little nervous, but like at basketball games

during time-outs, I’ll try and get out

there when the cheerleaders are out

there and I’ll just go crazy, try to get

the fans into it. I just try and do all

that I can do to represent Pistol Pe

te. My friends will be like, “I can’t

believe it’s you under the head.” Pi

stol Pete’s an outgoing person, so

you have to represent him in such

a way, and its fun doing that. You get

a rush of adrenaline. You get excite

d once the game starts and it’s time

for Pistol Pete to go out there a

nd do his thing. Especially after you

shoot a shotgun, you just get a rush

seeing all those people respond to

that. Everyone knows once a shotgun goe

s off, they’re looking for Pete

to start the “O,” the “S,” the “U.”

They’ll watch you while you’re doing

that. It’s pretty neat.

Then reality Tv came a knockin'...

• Love 3

@Julia and @Churchhoney @Suz at Large

Jim Bob never registered the home church as a non-profit.  They used to have services in the home when they lived in the Johnson St. house – the house where Josh's molestation of his sisters took place.  As many as 100 people would show up, mostly from their Gothard homeschooling crowd.  That house was right next door to Cross Church's Springdale location.  They ended up selling that house to Cross Church, it was torn down, and is now a parking lot and a sports field for the church.  This was back in the days when the girls wore prairie dresses and I guess the Duggar parents felt the crowd at Cross Church wasn't good enough/pure enough for them.

When TLC came along in 2003/2004, they started building the Tontitown home and built it with a professional sound system because Jim Bob wanted to run his (Gothard's) Financial Freedom seminars there.  When TLC proved to be an ongoing source of income, Jim Bob scratched that idea, but the home church continued.  That's how Ben met Jessa.  He happened to be driving by (after a four-hour journey from Hot Springs) and showed up at their home church one Sunday morning.

Over the past year or two, people quit coming and the Duggars needed a place for two daughters' weddings, so they re-affiliated with Cross Church.  That church was actually the one Jim Bob grew up in and his mother Mary always went there.

Although anyone can start a church in the U.S., in order to get a religious worker visa in Guatemala (which is where I think the Dillards are headed), it's much more complicated, especially if you are not a Catholic.  This is part of the procedure.  The site is in Spanish, but you can use Google translate: 

http://www.migracion.gob.gt/index.php/servicios/extranjeros/residentes-permanentes-religiosos.html

guatemala_religious_visa.png

And, that's not all.  They also have to have a financial guarantor in Guatemala.

Thanks. I love it when someone else does the work for me :)

Hello, Arklahoma!

You know, I find it disturbing how often I read things on this board that I'm reasonably certain I'm going to hell for laughing at.

"I want to get married and have a family and settle down somewhere and pursue my career. I will probably work somewhere, whether it’s an accounting firm or a company like Wal-Mart or something for a couple years, and then I want to apply to be an FBI agent. One of my friends told me that the FBI hires a lot of accountants, and I hadn’t really thought about that because you don’t really think about accountants being FBI agents and carrying a gun. 

If only someone would make a film about the role of FBI accountancy in taking down Al Capone. Maybe Sean Connery would agree to do it, if we could get Kevin Costner attached.

• Love 7

I'm having a hard time reconciling Derick as the guy who was frolicking with cheerleaders in a gunslinger's costume to the derpy pushover we see today. Boob is like some sort of freakish Svengali. You can't escape his powers no matter how hard you try. Once you take that shiny silver key to your new house it's a done deal.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

Nope.  What Derick wanted to be is even funnier.  Don't read the rest of this post unless you are prepared to donate $5 to your favorite non-Duggar charity if this makes you laugh.

"I want to get married and have a family and settle down somewhere and pursue my career. I will probably work somewhere, whether it’s an accounting firm or a company like Wal-Mart or something for a couple years, and then I want to apply to be an FBI agent. One of my friends told me that the FBI hires a lot of accountants, and I hadn’t really thought about that because you don’t really think about accountants being FBI agents and carrying a gun. I mean, it made sense to me especially after I got Pete. [He was the Pistol Pete mascot for OSU in college and got to fire a real gun with blanks during football games!]  I already got a little gun handling experience. It may be a little different from being Pete, but I think it would be neat to work with them and get to be in law enforcement but also be in accounting."

You'll think I made that up.  You just can't make this stuff up.  It's beyond belief.  This is from an interview with Derick while he was still in college.  I'll post the link, but I guarantee it will bore you to death if you actually read it all.  (Just do Ctrl F and search for FBI to find the quote.)

http://dc.library.okstate.edu/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/ostate/id/7778/rv/singleitem

That will be $5.

I have a cousin-in-law at the Secret Service, though not the protection division. He's in check fraud - just like Tom Hanks in Catch Me If You Can. They use lots of accountants too. He tells us all the time how NOT glamorous it is, and I'm sure he's right. But we still tell him how impressed we are, and that he has the sexiest job in the family. I'll have to let Derick know I'd be glad to use my influence in his behalf.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 5

Nope.  What Derick wanted to be is even funnier.  Don't read the rest of this post unless you are prepared to donate $5 to your favorite non-Duggar charity if this makes you laugh.

"I want to get married and have a family and settle down somewhere and pursue my career. I will probably work somewhere, whether it’s an accounting firm or a company like Wal-Mart or something for a couple years, and then I want to apply to be an FBI agent. One of my friends told me that the FBI hires a lot of accountants, and I hadn’t really thought about that because you don’t really think about accountants being FBI agents and carrying a gun. I mean, it made sense to me especially after I got Pete. [He was the Pistol Pete mascot for OSU in college and got to fire a real gun with blanks during football games!]  I already got a little gun handling experience. It may be a little different from being Pete, but I think it would be neat to work with them and get to be in law enforcement but also be in accounting."

You'll think I made that up.  You just can't make this stuff up.  It's beyond belief.  This is from an interview with Derick while he was still in college.  I'll post the link, but I guarantee it will bore you to death if you actually read it all.  (Just do Ctrl F and search for FBI to find the quote.)

http://dc.library.okstate.edu/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/ostate/id/7778/rv/singleitem

That will be $5.

Rest easy tonight, fellow Americans. The FBI accountants are packin'...  

Edited to add - PS - at least, according to Derick, they are.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

If only someone would make a film about the role of FBI accountancy in taking down Al Capone. Maybe Sean Connery would agree to do it, if we could get Kevin Costner attached.

Actually, I have it on very good authority that accountancy is one of the most sought-after specialties by law-enforcement agencies at all levels around the world today. The pursuit of organized crime, especially cyber crime, and white-collar crime (although it's less targeted) absolutely requires people who can combine a law-enforcement mindset with sharp accountancy skills. Law-enforcement agencies would prefer to have people come to them having studied both criminal justice and accountancy, I'm told, but they often are ending up bringing in just accountants and training them up on the forensic side. So he wasn't off the mark on that at all. He should have done it.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8

Actually, I have it on very good authority that accountancy is one of the most sought-after specialties by law-enforcement agencies at all levels around the world today. The pursuit of organized crime, especially cyber crime, and white-collar crime (although it's less targeted) absolutely requires people who can combine a law-enforcement mindset with sharp accountancy skills. Law-enforcement agencies would prefer to have people come to them having studied both criminal justice and accountancy, I'm told, but they often are ending up bringing in just accountants and training them up on the forensic side. So he wasn't off the mark on that at all. He should have done it.

I totally buy that, which is why I find it weird that he didn't do it. It makes me wonder if he did apply and it didn't turn out well for him.

• Love 6

I'm sorry, but I cannot picture Jill as a law enforcement officer wife or a wife of someone who works for the FBI. I can picture her at a get together giggling, clinging to Derick's side, and talking with the other spouses especially the wives about how special she is because she gave birth to Izzy. I also cannot imagine the look on the other FBI staff face's when she shows up at lunch time to spend time with Derick every freaking day. Plus the embarrassment of being related to the Duggars.

Y'all. Maybe Derick is really an undercover FBI agent investigating S.O.S. Ministries and he just married Jill to bolster his cover. Once he solves The Case of the Missing Donations, he'll turn to Jill and be like, "Sorry, babe. It's been fun... but I can't eat another bite of Tater Tot Casserole. I'm out."

(In my fifth grade yearbook, I actually put down FBI agent as my future career goal. I'm not kidding. Thanks, Mulder and Scully!)

Not surprisingly, these things are very trendy and totally follow the news. I noticed it first the year after the OJ trial when about 25% - no kidding - of the prospective undergrad students at our university [high school seniors] were listing criminal justice and forensic science as their areas of interests. For several years in the early 2000s, we saw a lot of Disaster & Emergency Management, after 9-11 and Katrina.

I totally buy that, which is why I find it weird that he didn't do it. It makes me wonder if he did apply and it didn't turn out well for him.

Two words: Psych exam.

Apparently a huge number of people, who may seem normal, throw up enough little red flags on the Psych exam that there's no way they'll be accepted. I can see Derick testing as one of those people who is just 'off' enough that he wouldn't get through.

edited because things make more sense if I haven't left out words.

Edited by kalamac
  • Love 7

YOu and me both.

Although I do also kind of wonder whether the whole law-enforcement idea wasn't part of his emotional response to his dad's death .... and then as that receded the idea passed and he went back to some older idea of being a missionary or something.

• Love 4

I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't really see anything shocking here. I don't think Derick started as a grifter and targeted JB/Jill -- IMO, he's no mastermind with some long-game grift all planned out. I think he's just an unfocused young man with a lot of idealized notions about Nepal. missionary work, becoming an FBI agent, etc., etc.

I don't think that there's any scandal in the fact that Derick went to Nepal on a student visa, either. We already knew that he couldn't have been an accredited missionary because he never had the qualifications. My guess is that he had some sort of auxiliary role to a real mission in order to "test the waters" and make sure that it was the right path for him (I would bet that Cathy insisted on something like this, and may have gotten a promise from him to try WalMart for a year before making any final decisions). It sounds like he was a group leader for mission-cationers, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did learn some useful job skills coordinating these trips.

And I do think he was/is sincere about wanting to be a missionary -- although I have no idea what that word actually means to him (helping people, prosletizing,  leading mission-vacationers, etc). After they married, the talk was all about Derick getting his Masters in Divinity and Jill getting her midwife certification in order to return to the mission field. It's also possible, of course, that that was a completely fake story and they were just lolling around the McMansion quoting Bible verses to each other all day, but I think that they were serious. I also think that it was Jilly-Muffin who dropped all pretense of a "heart for" mission work when she got pregnant.

I think that there was a catalyst the led them to jump-the-gun and head to Central America. It may have been the scandal, but it may have been something else, too. I really think that Derick wanted to get away from the TTH/JB/19KC. I'm basing this on the fact that they didn't stay at the McMansion when they were in Arkansas. There was no reason not to -- the house is sitting empty. The only reason that I can think of is that Derick wants out from under JB's control.

Regardless of their true motives and the actual uses of the donated funds, they were complete idiots to not provide some sort of public accounting. The scandal of the use of mission funds for non-mission activities has been going on for more than a month now. There is simply no excuse for their failure to address it. If Derick didn't start off as a grifter, he's learning fast. At this rate, it won't be long before accounting for donor funds won't be relevant because there will be no donors.

• Love 9

I'm sorry, but I cannot picture Jill has a law enforcement officer wife or a wife of someone who works for the FBI. I can picture her at a get together giggling, clinging to Derick's side, and talking with the other spouses especially the wives about how special she is because she gave birth to Izzy. I also cannot imagine the look on the other FBI staff when she shows up at lunch time to spend time with Derick every freaking day. Plus the embarrassment of being related to the Duggars.

One reason why I think he should have done it is that he would have ended up with a different woman! ha   Remember -- he was out of college for a while before he went after a Duggar bride. If he'd been busy learning stuff at the FBI or in a masters' degree course in criminology or something, he probably wouldn't have dreamed up the idea of calling Jim Bob!

I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't really see anything shocking here. I don't think Derick started as a grifter and targeted JB/Jill -- IMO, he's no mastermind with some long-game grift all planned out. I think he's just an unfocused young man with a lot of idealized notions about Nepal. missionary work, becoming an FBI agent, etc., etc.

I don't think that there's any scandal in the fact that Derick went to Nepal on a student visa, either. We already knew that he couldn't have been an accredited missionary because he never had the qualifications. My guess is that he had some sort of auxiliary role to a real mission in order to "test the waters" and make sure that it was the right path for him (I would bet that Cathy insisted on something like this, and may have gotten a promise from him to try WalMart for a year before making any final decisions). It sounds like he was a group leader for mission-cationers, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did learn some useful job skills coordinating these trips.

And I do think he was/is sincere about wanting to be a missionary -- although I have no idea what that word actually means to him (helping people, prosletizing,  leading mission-vacationers, etc). After they married, the talk was all about Derick getting his Masters in Divinity and Jill getting her midwife certification in order to return to the mission field. It's also possible, of course, that that was a completely fake story and they were just lolling around the McMansion quoting Bible verses to each other all day, but I think that they were serious. I also think that it was Jilly-Muffin who dropped all pretense of a "heart for" mission work when she got pregnant.

I think that there was a catalyst the led them to jump-the-gun and head to Central America. It may have been the scandal, but it may have been something else, too. I really think that Derick wanted to get away from the TTH/JB/19KC. I'm basing this on the fact that they didn't stay at the McMansion when they were in Arkansas. There was no reason not to -- the house is sitting empty. The only reason that I can think of is that Derick wants out from under JB's control.

Regardless of their true motives and the actual uses of the donated funds, they were complete idiots to not provide some sort of public accounting. The scandal of the use of mission funds for non-mission activities has been going on for more than a month now. There is simply no excuse for their failure to address it. If Derick didn't start off as a grifter, he's learning fast. At this rate, it won't be long before accounting for donor funds won't be relevant because there will be no donors.

Yeah, I sort of have this view, too. Although I still wonder whether he didn't eye the Duggars at least partly because they seemed to be a family to whom a connection might help him gain some prominence in the mission field.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

Actually, I have it on very good authority that accountancy is one of the most sought-after specialties by law-enforcement agencies at all levels around the world today.

I can vouch for it too.  I have a friend whose brother is an FBI agent whose specialty is cyberfraud involving financial institutions.  His major in college? Finance.  He's travelled all over the world investigating high level financial scamming. So, Derick could have pursued this line of work if that's what he really wanted to do.  Either he changed his mind or her applied and wasn't accepted.  I vote for the latter. 

• Love 7

Approaching his mid 20's with never the slightest contact with the opposite sex (or same sex) might have messed with the psych tests a bit too, not that there aren;t plenty of others in the same boat.

• Love 1

That will be $5.

Totally worth it! God laid it on my heart to send $5 to Planned Parenthood, poetic justice, right?

• Love 13

So are the Dillards still leaving?  And where are they staying while in Arkansas?  Sorry...I must have missed that discussion.

Good question. Will they still go to Central America? If they can;t go, where will they live?

Will TLC just  pay to bring the Dullards and a camera crew to play missionary?

Just how did he contribute to travel logistics? Did he arrange for delivery of food supplies? Or did he consider his eating his lunch every day "taking responsibility for food"?

"Translation:  Counted heads and packed/ordered enough trail mix and MRE's for the counted."

Perhaps the visa/immigration authorities in foreign countries don't recognize some non-ordained (or self-ordained) guy with a warehouse, as constituting a church, for their visa/immigration purposes.

It's probably not nearly as easy to get your "church" recognized by foreign immigration authorities, as it is to become and be recognized as a "church" for some domestic legal purposes here in the USA.

I'd call that almost a dead cert, they don't want the Church of Cthulhu or similar claiming protection.  I'm sure it requires at least some institution who can show status, (U.S. Govt. tax-free?) standing, and that they've at least technically got a way to get money to their missionaries (pipeline), so the missionary doesn't become a financial burden on the hosting country, or stay there.

• Love 3

Pure speculation but I would think that the FBI would look for an employee who believes that women have the right to wear pants and receive a real education.  Just a stab in the dark.  

Derick's mother believes both those things, so I kind of suspect he believed it too, pre-Duggar. A part of him probably believes it still, I expect.

• Love 7

That will be $5.

Is he alright? I mean, did the doctor drop him on his head, at birth? He sounds as naive and immature and idealist as his teenager acting wife.

• Love 4

Two words: Psych exam.

Apparently a huge number of people, who may seem normal, throw up enough little red flags on the Psych exam that there's no way they'll be accepted. I can see Derick testing as one of those people who is just 'off' enough that he wouldn't get through.

edited because things make more sense if I haven't left out words.

Totally agree. People with extreme views in just about any area would be very likely to set off a buzzer, IMO. I've been interviewed by the government three times when students of mine had applied for "sensitive" gov positions - two for the CIA - and had given my name as a personal reference. I remember some questions from the last one in 2012. I was asked if I knew anything about the applicant's social life, political views, even spending habits. 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3